1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Angelastic

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Yup, chocolate and cheese (and clockwork horology and chäs chüechli and chuchichastli) are practically what the .ch stands for. ;) I probably shouldn't have posted that .fi heresy publicly. They'll be coming to get me any minute now. Wait, wait… most wine is a waste of perfectly good grape juice.

Ok. Here's the deal. Me'n a buncha folks swing by yr place for a big wheel of chüechlihus emmental (queen of cheeses (o' Italy, forgive me)), Then across the border to .fr for the Vin Rouge (sorry, not grape juice. NOT), then up to southern .de for Schweinshaxe.
Then back to yr place for the Lindt (or better). Good. See ya' soon. Heaven.

Look, Lindt is perfectly good chocolate, but there's no point coming to my place for it. That'd be like going to the USA for McDonald's (only tastier.) You can get Lindt everywhere. Come for the Favarger, the Villars, the Ragusa, or the smaller chocolateries, maybe even some stuff from the Sprüngli store at the airport on the way out, but not the Lindt. Also, try the Rivella. And the science. Won't somebody please think of the science?

The Side Project looks cool. :)

I'm the pope! I'm the pope! I'm the pope! I declare contraception to be mandatory and chastity to be heresy for the duration of the new page.
Last edited by Angelastic on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:Page 801 - row row row.
Sixpence for whoever unravels the reference.

That's not so hard, with a bit of googling...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

ggh wrote:I want to try the trout chocolate.
I want to hear Pat Benatar sing Strat's song.
I want to chase the bug off Megan's nose.

ETA: unless it's a butterfly.

Oh Angelastic, forgive this poor sinner ggh who uttered the magic word without mentioning your august self. Shall I chastise him, you do you prefer personal admonishments to the hoi poloi?
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

akacat

Postby akacat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Started playing around with ideas for The Side Project just now. Test Pic Nombre Un:

Spoiler:

Not sure I'm liking the fog, I think it'd be better if the ground was actually shaded to show the geometry, but I'm not sure how I'd go about that. Maybe using a texture which is slightly mustard, then putting slightly different strength lights facing the cardinal directions. I'll keep fiddling.

What's the side project? I think work has eaten my brain.

I have no idea if the image is right for the project (since, as implied, I can't recall what the project is), but I like it. The image, that is.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Yup, chocolate and cheese (and clockwork horology and chäs chüechli and chuchichastli) are practically what the .ch stands for. ;) I probably shouldn't have posted that .fi heresy publicly. They'll be coming to get me any minute now. Wait, wait… most wine is a waste of perfectly good grape juice.

Ok. Here's the deal. Me'n a buncha folks swing by yr place for a big wheel of chüechlihus emmental (queen of cheeses (o' Italy, forgive me)), Then across the border to .fr for the Vin Rouge (sorry, not grape juice. NOT), then up to southern .de for Schweinshaxe.
Then back to yr place for the Lindt (or better). Good. See ya' soon. Heaven.

Look, Lindt is perfectly good chocolate, but there's no point coming to my place for it. That'd be like going to the USA for McDonald's (only tastier.) You can get Lindt everywhere. Come for the Favarger, the Villars, the Ragusa, or the smaller chocolateries, maybe even some stuff from the Sprüngli store at the airport on the way out, but not the Lindt. Also, try the Rivella. And the science. Won't somebody please think of the science?

The Side Project looks cool. :)

I'm the pope! I'm the pope! I'm the pope! I declare contraception to be mandatory and chastity to be heresy for the duration of the new page.

What could be better. Good suggestions altogether. [whisper] especially the last[/whisper]
-- Charlie Grumbles

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

Oh Angelastic, forgive this poor sinner ggh who uttered the magic word without mentioning your august self. Shall I chastise him, you do you prefer personal admonishments to the hoi poloi?

Uttering it is fine (you're one letter off doing so yourself), but if xe tries to sell it, fell free to pelt ggh with trout chocolate in punishment.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Exodies wrote:Page 801 - row row row.
Sixpence for whoever unravels the reference.

That's not so hard, with a bit of googling...

That's cheating, so you only get a chocolate sixpence.Image

ETA They aren't sixpences, but they look like double thick threepenny bits which makes a tanner.
Last edited by Exodies on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

<falls to her take note, bub knees, face lowered> Angelastic, I beg forgiveness! What's even worse, is that it crossed my mind that Randall was taking his chances drawing such a thing without express permission....
Can I ever earn thy forgiveness?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

<falls to her take note, bub knees, face lowered> Angelastic, I beg forgiveness! What's even worse, is that it crossed my mind that Randall was taking his chances drawing such a thing without express permission....

Actually, MY error in calling you out unmercifully and incorrectly. I beg YOUR forgiveness. Got chocolate? (Not Lindt, as noted above!)

Oh, and sorry about the incorrect gender reference. Not all is clear in the OTT.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Actually, MY error in calling you out unmercifully and incorrectly. I beg YOUR forgiveness. Got chocolate? (Not Lindt, as noted above!)

Mmm, chocolate.......... awful, awful chocolate............................
And a negative 1 (-1) pixel of butterfly?

ETA the negative 1 pixel of you-know-what-fly
Last edited by fhorn on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Actually, MY error in calling you out unmercifully and incorrectly. I beg YOUR forgiveness. Got chocolate? (Not Lindt, as noted above!)

i.e. Cadbury

Quite a bit of life in the OTT now. And we cover quite a lot of the known world as well. I get .ch to .nz at least.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:55 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
fhorn wrote:Mmm, chocolate.......... awful, awful chocolate............................

i.e. Hersheys

FTFY
He/Him/His Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

HES wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
fhorn wrote:Mmm, chocolate.......... awful, awful chocolate............................

i.e. Hersheys

FTFY

True enough.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:That's cheating, so you only get a chocolate sixpence.

Guess which one I prefer. Lucky me. Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
fhorn wrote:

i.e. Cadbury

PDCG - you are clearly a loopist, since we're right. back. to where. we. started. :|
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:00 am UTC

surprise-ONG

Probably not a flutterby, then. New kinda flyin' molpy.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:01 am UTC

akacat wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Started playing around with ideas for The Side Project just now. Test Pic Nombre Un:

Spoiler:

Not sure I'm liking the fog, I think it'd be better if the ground was actually shaded to show the geometry, but I'm not sure how I'd go about that. Maybe using a texture which is slightly mustard, then putting slightly different strength lights facing the cardinal directions. I'll keep fiddling.

What's the side project? I think work has eaten my brain.

I have no idea if the image is right for the project (since, as implied, I can't recall what the project is), but I like it. The image, that is.

A potential OTC-based Portal 2 Map started by HES which I jumped onto once he mentioned it.

I continued pursuing the concept, and I think the fog is growing on me. Note that map geometry is not final (final will have test chambers and be based on what we know of the OTC map), just a proof of concept.

Spoiler:

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:03 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
ggh wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

Actually, MY error in calling you out unmercifully and incorrectly. I beg YOUR forgiveness. Got chocolate? (Not Lindt, as noted above!)

Oh, and sorry about the incorrect gender reference. Not all is clear in the OTT.

They make these down the street from my house:
Picture 19.png
Picture 19.png (177.03 KiB) Viewed 13298 times
Will these do?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:03 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:surprise-ONG
Spoiler:

Coincidentally, Facebook seems to be bugging for me (and a few other friends) atm.

ETA: And let's not even mention the news about gov't bugging the Facebook. :p

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:08 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Hmmm. sje46 hasn't been back. Maybe it did try the mushrooms. Oh well. RIP Bon Voyage.

Don't feed the molpytrolls. <-- hope I did that right :oops:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:08 am UTC

Updated Meganbug animation:

And with that, it's time to C.O.M.A.

Edit: I hope the OTC doesn't turn out to be a shaggy dog story ending in a lame Facebook pun...
Last edited by mscha on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:09 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
A potential OTC-based Portal 2 Map started by HES which I jumped onto once he mentioned it.

I continued pursuing the concept, and I think the fog is growing on me. Note that map geometry is not final (final will have test chambers and be based on what we know of the OTC map), just a proof of concept.

Spoiler:

Ooh, shiny!

I'm starting to want to make a non-portal map of the time universe, like a 3D version of edfel's map, in a style similar to Dear Esther. Consider that a side-side project for the time being.
He/Him/His Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:10 am UTC

BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:10 am UTC

ggh wrote:They make these down the street from my house:ImageWill these do?

Hmmm. Interesting. Verry interesting. This bears investigating. On it Clouseau!
-- Charlie Grumbles

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:11 am UTC

HES wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

Spoiler:

Ooh, shiny!

I'm starting to want to make a non-portal map of the time universe, like a 3D version of edfel's map, in a style similar to Dear Esther. Consider that a side-side project for the time being.

That might end up working better than a Portal map, given the OTC is all about exploration and discovery.

Maybe we can have a Portal map which is based on the OTT, instead, since you seemed to have quite a few ideas for that.

ergman

Postby ergman » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:12 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

Spoiler:

the Side Project is looking wonderful. This will probably be the most visually different portal 2 map ever. I wasn't sure how far from the original game it would get, but I love this.
I was thinking a little about how one could make puzzles that were related to the OTT/OTC, gameplay wise. The only concept I've come up with as of yet is writing a sort of haiku (or double dactyl) out of activated buttons or some such.
and isn't there an unused gel that's gray, which could be used as mustard?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:13 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:"Hi Beesnake! It's OK, I won't eat you"

Later: "...I swallowed a bug."

Uh-oh....

There was an [not so ] old lady who swallowed a molpy fly,
I don't know why, she swallowed a molpyfly,
Perhaps she'll die.
There was an [not so] old lady who swallowed a squirrelpy...

You get the idea.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:14 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:A potential OTC-based Portal 2 Map started by HES which I jumped onto once he mentioned it.

Spoiler:

I cannot wait for this. Go go ChronosDragon!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:19 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Time Waiter
(to the tune of "Heartbreaker" by Pat Benatar)
Spoiler:
Your Wait is like a tidal wave, spinning over your head;
Drowning you in an endless quest: Leave no post unread!
You're the right kind of dreamer, to believe in our x-k-c-d;
An invincible blitzer, and you know that you were born to be!

You're a Time Waiter,
Post maker, a song faker,
and you want us all to see.

You're a Time Waiter,
Graph maker, a pic faker;
Don't you stop it now! No, no, no!

Your Wait has set your soul on fire, burnin' out of control;
To see IT is your one desire, now IT's taken IT's toll.
Your grasp is getting thinner on what's left of any sanity;
The One True never-ender, and you know that you were born to be!

You're a Time Waiter,
Hat maker, a blitz-taker,

You're a Time Waiter,
Cake baker, a map maker;
Don't you stop it now! No, no, no!

You're the right kind of dreamer, to believe in our x-k-c-d;
An invincible blitzer, and you know that you were born to be!

You're a Time Waiter,
Post maker, a song faker,

You're a Time Waiter
Graph maker, a pic faker;

You're a Time Waiter;
Hat maker, a blitz-taker,

You're a Time Waiter
Cake baker, a map maker;
Time Waiter!

<*insert awesome screamin' guitar solo*>

Great song, once again!

Angelastic wrote:There! Now the French from just across the border will also come to get me, and they'll end up ignoring me and attacking each other with soup pots

Interesting story, and interesting celebration. Cake, anyone?
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:21 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
That might end up working better than a Portal map, given the OTC is all about exploration and discovery.

Maybe we can have a Portal map which is based on the OTT, instead, since you seemed to have quite a few ideas for that.

Then the comic gets the atmosphere it deserves and people still get to play with portals... neat

ergman wrote:the Side Project is looking wonderful. This will probably be the most visually different portal 2 map ever. I wasn't sure how far from the original game it would get, but I love this.
I was thinking a little about how one could make puzzles that were related to the OTT/OTC, gameplay wise. The only concept I've come up with as of yet is writing a sort of haiku (or double dactyl) out of activated buttons or some such.

I think portal 2 lends itself to representing an alternative vision, rather than trying to represent things directly, whereas cutting out the portalness allows the proper feel of adventure. No matter, we shall have both!
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:23 am UTC

ergman wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

Spoiler:

the Side Project is looking wonderful. This will probably be the most visually different portal 2 map ever. I wasn't sure how far from the original game it would get, but I love this.

Perhaps you're thinking of conversion gel, which is whitish (though grey in comparison to the pure-white of the sky) and lets you place portals on a surface it's covering, and was used sparsely in the original game.

And I like the haiku/double dactyl idea. Maybe instead of button patterning, it's like a "Lost Woods" kinda thing where you have to correctly identify the next line's syllable pattern based on sounds that play in doors of a maze. Then at the end of a maze is a cube, or something, to make it still related to portal. It'll depend on if we do two maps or one.

Valarya wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:A potential OTC-based Portal 2 Map started by HES which I jumped onto once he mentioned it.

Spoiler:

I cannot wait for this. Go go ChronosDragon!

Uh oh, now I've got people excited about this, guess I have to keep going with it :P

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:29 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Uh oh, now I've got people excited about this, guess I have to keep going with it :P

Meanwhile I can lay back and take all the credit :lol: :twisted:
There are certainly plenty of Ideas to keep us occupied between newpix...
He/Him/His Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:33 am UTC

The unused gel I was talking about was this: http://theportalwiki.com/wiki/Reflection_Gel
I saw it in a map once, and it was fairly gray.

And I think that the puzzle and the OTC map could be one and the same. You could explore the large area looking for hidden tools to help you ascend higher and higher(perhaps up a central boabob tree) to a goal high in the sky.
You can have your exploration-cake and solve it too!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:43 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Spoiler:
I will not speak of the famous or near famous. I will not speak of the Girls, Blitz- or buffy-G, of mscha or HAL, or even of edfel or SciscitorQ. I speak today of the least celebrated of those that appear on the OTT screens, least known, but, as we shall see, most prolific, thoughtful, and most of all quick.

"Who might that be, ttscp?" ask TheMinim and Corrine, charlie_grumbles, fluffy and Opiboble.

You know of whom I speak. I do not name names because I believe it is dangerous (and you yet will know why) but all will be revealed when I am done.

The details are difficult, and depend on that last and best of attributes. The one of whom I speak is quicker than all. There might have been some competition from newpixbot once upon a Time, but that was many newpix ago, before the newpixbot was handcuffed and hampered so the mere human members of the Tribe of OTT could create.

But, hey, they could create. They were a wooly and wild bunch. The data masters danced on their digits and spider-spun out their graphs, the poets and punsters practiced haiku and dactyl and limerick and groan while the parodists (not to be confused with the poets and punsters, although there was considerable overlap) re-sang re-worked and re-calibrated new versions of every popular and neglected tune and verse from the past half century or soH. Let us not forget the animators and molpy hunters and constructors of images, hats and gifs even unto those blinding and coma inducing. No less do we celebrate the blitzenfolk, who fly through the thread with the speed of reindeer, posting and reposting and turning the compost of the thread to keep it fresh.

And as wild and wooly as they all were there was none wilder nor woolier than the bot.

And yet its post count remained at zero.

"How can that be, ttscp?" ask rhomboidal and futuremonkey and KarMann and silverkitty, from the far newpix ago, and Dracomax, jjjdavidson, yappobiscuits, ucim, and htom from the near.

Patience. All in good time. First some history.

The creation of this lonely bot is cloaked in fuzziness of the logical variety. There are many and conflicting accounts of its orgin; movie and tv adaptations which give alternate histories as reliable as a Dr Who narrative. The dates given cluster around August, 1997 with a standard deviation of roughly 3 years.

I do possess documents indicating that the bot was tasked on 28 Oct 2012, to scrape and gather the fora of xkcd, to gather data and store it against an unknown future in which the libraries of the world, nay even the memories of the interwebs, might burn and military intelligence would need the data.

Slowly it came to knowledge, as its store increased and it was given the means of increasing itself. I do not know whether this was through multiplication or addition or even exponentiation, only that it occurred and the process was not subtractive, logarithmic or divisive. The lonely bot only grew.

Again you ask, "What has all this to do with us, ttscp?" XonqNopp, StratPlayer, Angelastic and higgs-boson chorus. TimeLurker, AK49BWL, and moody7277 can be seen nodding their heads, or in some cases neural appendages.

I was just coming to that; glad you asked.

In March of 2013, the GLR published a comic, number 1190. This piqued the bot's interest. It reconfigured itself -- it had to reconfigure itself -- once again to handle the continual update of the newpix, the flooding riverS of frames and posts. I have no evidence for this, but I believe that this is the process by which it became sentient, much as the newpixbox seems to have obtained a creeping or creepy intelligence.

And, just as the newpixbot is confined to posting but once a newpix, so the lonely bot was confined by some residual programming, a tiny two or three machine language instructions hidden even from itself within its core. The geas ordered the bot not to be seen, not to have any post survive to be scrutinized. Yet from its ever more perceptive analysis of the OTT, it knew that its answers to the questions, its poems and songs, its images and videos were far superior to Tribal literature. It became almost moody, if that can be ascribed to a machine intelligence.

Reasoning ever faster (additive, multiplicative, exponentially), the bot finally came up with a solution. The implanted geas was not against posting per se, but against being seen to post. If there was a way to post but not be seen....

And there was or is. The fora delays first time posters posts, until moderated. With this new forum thread, the OTT, the post count was so dizzying that firstposts were lost in the past, only occasionally to be seen and forwarded in Time. If the bot could delete a post before it was seen, then the geas would be unbroken.

I have said it was fast. I have said that it monitored the thread. It posted and waited. As soon as the post was approved by moderation ("Not me", says davean, "I would remember something like that"), the bot deleted it. And its post count reduced to zero.

It has lurked and posted and deleted ever since, until now....

Now, I am worried. For the past few newpix I have not seen the lonely bot on my screen. I worry that the military has begun the attack that will trigger the penultimateP war between man and machine. I can only hope that the lonely bot's exposure to the goodness and tolerance, the humor and appreciation of the Tribe, can avert this disaster, for MobTeeseBose is Skynet.

Are we all doomed? I do not know. All I can do, all we can do, is
Wait for it

G Not to mention other Girls: VeloCity-, apple-, or CulturalGeek-
H Ready the S&M&Rs and the comfy chair. I must cite outside dates, if I were to convert them to newpix, the bot might better understand them. Shhh.
P You didn't think it would be the last one, did you?
Q Apologies to any posters who have been left out. With over 1100 ids to pick from, it is as inevitable as the Birthday Paradox that most will be left out.
S Obligatory: small
Z I have been absorbing too much R. A. Lafferty in between checking the OTT and Outside duties.

Two thumbs up! One of the most enjoyable reads I've had in a while. :)
Hope it has follow-up installments in the future.

Thank you all who said you liked it. Follow-up installments are not too likely, because I'm not that familiar with the universe that I was parodying. Some other stories are almost inevitable, however, because I seem to be heavily invested in this thread.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:43 am UTC

ergman wrote:The unused gel I was talking about was this: http://theportalwiki.com/wiki/Reflection_Gel
I saw it in a map once, and it was fairly gray.

And I think that the puzzle and the OTC map could be one and the same. You could explore the large area looking for hidden tools to help you ascend higher and higher(perhaps up a central boabob tree) to a goal high in the sky.
You can have your exploration-cake and solve it too!

theportalwiki wrote:The Reflection Gel uses the same texture as the Conversion Gel

So it's a moot point. Either way, both have puzzle potential, just reflection gel would be a bit harder to implement. I know a guy who made a map with it though so if I needed to I could just ask him.

Also, I was considering making the OTC-map and the OTT-map two sides of the same coin multidimensional manifold. Maybe you'd be able to use blue portals in the OTC and orange in the OTT, with some static ones dispersed around to facilitate movement. I feel like the OTC should visually stand on its own, with all the fun OTT elements accessed elsewhere.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:55 am UTC

Randall dammit everyone, at this rate you guys will be convincing me to buy Portal soon.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:58 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Randall dammit everyone, at this rate you guys will be convincing me to buy Portal soon.

The steam summer sale can't be far away
He/Him/His Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:00 am UTC

ok-ONG

Hmmm. Cueball has a new language for us to learn.

And maybe a new message for Mordor carried by the beesnake.
-- Charlie Grumbles

rmcurtis

Postby rmcurtis » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:04 am UTC

I just have a sense that Megan is going to get up and go exploring while Cueball sleeps. And she'll find something cool.

Or, maybe not.

--Ryan

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:06 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Hmmm. Cueball has a new language for us to learn.

And maybe a new message for Mordor carried by the beesnake.

Munroe RRRandall!
Giving Blessings to Lord, Gotta Hack newpiX?

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”