1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

Not close at all. 300-400km. Say 200000Cue
madagasgar.tiff
a=baobabs, b=waterfalls

Aaaaannnnddddd. Popely for the moment.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

I am truly impressed by the current newpix; humbled, even. Was someone around here saying the OTC was getting boring?

That's a hard newpix to follow. But I think I've finally figured out my proper role in the OTT. After all, in the Outside I'm a geologist, and in my previous career [sic] was a historian. So when it comes to creative writing, the visual arts, music, computer programming, graphics, millinery haberdashery above and beyond the call, and so on, I'll have to defer to others too numerous to mention.

But! I do excel at the exacting, painstaking, nit-picking collection and ordering of data -- of the one-damn-thing-after-another kind of data, in particular. So I began to think possibly heretical thoughts the other dix. There's been talk of seeking various Eras and Eons and Periods in the OTT, but this seemed to fizzle out in general agreement that, owing to its complex and interwoven nature, it might be a hopeless, and would certainly be a very difficult, task.

But -- thought I to myself, thought I -- has anyone compiled a simple Chronicle of the OTT? Just a chronological listing (by NP of course, no Outsider time units) of OTT Firsts? All the OTT words we now take for granted -- when, exactly, were they coined? And all the familiar tropes, and in-jokes, and references to bits of Outside culture on the subject of [heresy, because not capitalized]time[/hbnc]? When did someone first mention the Javascript, or Hendrix's "Castles Made of Sand," or "Waiting For Godot" (this last far later on than you might think)? Not to mention semencaffeinecancerbabiesonice, and so forth.

If it's been done on the wiki or elsewhere, I haven't found it. Herewith, then, the first instalment of a Chronicle of Firsts (title still to be formalized; I'm open to suggestions), taken up as far as (sigh!) NP10. (I've actually researched it as far as NP25, but still have some formatting and editing to do).

Now, I could always do this just by searching; and in some cases, where I think I may have overlooked something, I have double-checked that way. But I decided to get right down on the metal, and do this the old-fashioned, and of course the hard way, by Blitzing.

No doubt, as Time goes on, these Firsts will come farther and farther apart. Even so, I'm not sure I'll get caught up to anywhere near the Present, or even as far as NP400 or so, before the end of Time. But so it goes, to those of us enjoined to Wait for it.

The OTT: When was the First speculation on, or mention of...?
Spoiler:
NP1: Randall's personal life
NP1: An Outside song (link to "Only Time," Enya)
NP1: An "indefinite" thread ("5 years from now...")
NP2: Loopism ("every 24 hours, or perhaps every week")
NP2: GIFfing the images
NP2: "Diffing" the images
NP3: The JavaScript
NP4: Flip-book (a wish for)
NP4: An updating GIF
NP5: Death
NP5: Randall reading the OTT, laughing
NP5: Tides
NP5: Aubronwood's auto-updating viewer
NP6: John Cage's 4'33"
NP7: Randall modifying the OTC in response to OTT comments
NP8: The end of the OTC (sand castle erodes to nothing)
NP8: Pregnancy
NP8: Cancer test results
NP8: The Pitch Drop Experiment
NP9: Filk (of Ecclesiastes)
NP9: Click and Drag (xkcd 1110)
NP9: The Time riddle (from The Hobbit)
NP9: Beckett (Endgame)
NP9: Hendrix, "Castles Made of Sand"
NP10: Flags (on sand castle, a wish for)
NP10: URL of first frame ("lost to time")
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:Now, I could always do this just by searching; and in some cases, where I think I may have overlooked something, I have double-checked that way. But I decided to get right down on the metal, and do this the old-fashioned, and of course the hard way, by Blitzing.

That's quite a task you've given yourself. I wish you well, partingLance, chronicler of all Time.
He/Him/His Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

Someone good at cue counting can now compute how high they have climbed.
-- Charlie Grumbles

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

And totally unrelated to anything going on right now:

I just found this on Cheezburber:
Taranturaptor _h852AFA88.jpg

see also:
Taranturaptor
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

I'm calling these the Wowterfalls.
And speaking of wow - nice job on the Big Book of Firsts:|, partingLance!

:|not a recommendation for a title
Last edited by fhorn on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Someone good at cue counting can now compute how high they have climbed.

Maybe even see if it reconciles with the panoramas that have been compiled in order to confirm/disprove the interstitalism hypothesis.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Still more look-ONG

only the water is moving, I think. Very still in cuegan-land.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

akacat

Postby akacat » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
taixzo wrote:Randall dammit everyone, at this rate you guys will be convincing me to buy Portal soon.

Buy it. Buy both of them. You must.

Every time I see Portal mentioned, I'm tempted to buy it. But, I don't do well at games that require good reaction times -- would this still be a good purchase for me? Or should I just look for a play-through video to satisfy my curiosity?

Ace wrote:"I like my men/women like I like my chocolate: not at all"i

iIt's true, I don't like chocolate.ii
iiAnd there are many reasons I picked this username.

Ah, I'd wondered if that was one/a reason for your username! Thank you for satisfying my curiosity, and greetings from another ace.

Selcouth wrote:
HES wrote:
Selcouth wrote:Holy shit.

I feel this is the appropriate response. "Wow" doesn't quite cut it.

My sentiments exactly.

Edit: I just realized what this reminds me of! Look at number 3 in this article.

Indeed, that was my response as well. And that cracked article is fascinating! Brb, getting waylaid for a while...

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:I am truly impressed by the current newpix; humbled, even. Was someone around here saying the OTC was getting boring?

That's a hard newpix to follow. But I think I've finally figured out my proper role in the OTT.
[snip]
But -- thought I to myself, thought I -- has anyone compiled a simple Chronicle of the OTT? Just a chronological listing (by NP of course, no Outsider time units) of OTT Firsts? All the OTT words we now take for granted -- when, exactly, were they coined?
[snip]
If it's been done on the wiki or elsewhere, I haven't found it. Herewith, then, the first instalment of a Chronicle of Firsts (title still to be formalized; I'm open to suggestions), taken up as far as (sigh!) NP10. (I've actually researched it as far as NP25, but still have some formatting and editing to do).

Blessings on your blitz.

Seriously consider putting it on the wiki or create a web page or something; otherwise it may get lost in the general hubbub. We constant lurkers will see it, but will have to go back to find it when we want to refer to it.

Kieryn and mscha have some really good data which may help.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

akacat wrote:Every time I see Portal mentioned, I'm tempted to buy it. But, I don't do well at games that require good reaction times -- would this still be a good purchase for me? Or should I just look for a play-through video to satisfy my curiosity?

For the most part, reaction times aren't important. Portal 1 has a few tricky moments; Portal 2 is easier overall (it's more story driven in single player) but makes more sense having played through 1.
Definitely buy 2, and if you don't buy 1 at least watch a playthrough (it's only a little game)
He/Him/His Image

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:But -- thought I to myself, thought I -- has anyone compiled a simple Chronicle of the OTT? Just a chronological listing (by NP of course, no Outsider time units) of OTT Firsts? All the OTT words we now take for granted -- when, exactly, were they coined? And all the familiar tropes, and in-jokes, and references to bits of Outside culture on the subject of [heresy, because not capitalized]time[/hbnc]? When did someone first mention the Javascript, or Hendrix's "Castles Made of Sand," or "Waiting For Godot" (this last far later on than you might think)? Not to mention semencaffeinecancerbabiesonice, and so forth.
Spoiler:

Quite a task, I'd say. If you could provide the ID of the post in which the first appeared, this could be neatly combined with our databases (for graphing, charting and other statistics and general nonsense).
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

HES wrote:
akacat wrote:Every time I see Portal mentioned, I'm tempted to buy it. But, I don't do well at games that require good reaction times -- would this still be a good purchase for me? Or should I just look for a play-through video to satisfy my curiosity?

For the most part, reaction times aren't important. Portal 1 has a few tricky moments; Portal 2 is easier overall (it's more story driven in single player) but makes more sense having played through 1.
Definitely buy 2, and if you don't buy 1 at least watch a playthrough (it's only a little game)

I would recommend 1 over 2, actually - though it may be a matter of personal preference. While 2 is long and has more content, 1 has better atmosphere and (IMO) better Portal physics. There was a neat map called Spigot 37 for Portal 1 which taught me a number of complex portal-flinging-tricks which I simply can't pull off in portal 2 because they removed crouch-jumping.

charlie_grumbles wrote:Still more look-ONG
Spoiler:

only the water is moving, I think. Very still in cuegan-land.

Oh boy, can't wait to see how this comes out ingame...

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

Spoiler:
wowfall.gif
Go Minim go!

ergman

Postby ergman » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:Image
Spoiler:
wowfall.gif

Wow. I was expecting a waterfall, and I expected it to be beautiful,
But I didn't expect it to be so big.

And it looks great animated like that, with cuegan seemingly nodding in respect. :)
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

water flow-ONG

Nearly up to my birth-year newpix. Later today.
Has anybody's passed yet? Current is 1937
-- Charlie Grumbles

ttscp

Re: 1190: "Time" Story 'Filler'

Postby ttscp » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Most of a story is filler. Two stories:

For sale: baby shoes, never wornS.

A sea captain, who lost his leg to a whale, pursues the whale and dies.

I'm going to talk about being at the midpoint, because that's where I think we are in the OTC, but I've got a lot to cover first. I may even take up more than one post in so doing.

I hesitate to call the filling for a story "fractal", because fractal includes self similarity at all scalesE. While a story with a overall funny plot line can be filled with jokes, and a love story may contain sub-plots with other love stories, a love story can contain jokes and a funny story can contain a love sub-plot.

It is true that the filling contributes to the story. There's a whole chapter in the expanded version of whale story above, where the narrator walks through a whale skeleton expounding on the bones and anatomical structure of the whale. On the face of it you'd say it doesnt contribute to the story, but it gave me a feeling for the size of the whale, for the size of the challenge the sea captain had taken on, and added to the depth of the feeling that the story evoked.

By the way, I'm still working off the basic idea in my post (way back here) that the OTC is a story with (so far) two charactersA, and a central problem, which is finding out why the sea is risingR.

I'm going to get a little heretical in what follows. A little heretical and a lot meta, because I'm trying to guess at what the GLR is liable to do with this story and that involves looking at OtherComics, and trying to deduce what themes, storytelling methods and kinds of tropes he uses.

Stories have to have some length to be satisfying. Some filling.

Filling becomes more difficult when you only have two characters in a world without much else to relate toI. But, filling is necessary to make the story longer than the ones I quoted above. The ones above might be satisfying - the first one definitely has emotional content, the other one would probably be called a plot summary rather than an actual story - but you wouldn't stick with either for long, or even recommend it to a friendS.

We've seen lots of molpy, squirlpy, beesnakes, vineyards, dunes, wowtrees; filler scenes which contribute to the atmosphere of the storyE, but the scenes which, I think, contribute to the plot and solution of the problem are the dialogue scenes (obviously), the collection of 'ruin' scenes (where they encounter traces of other human beings), LaPetite, the Cueball dream scene, and now the waterfall.

How does this relate to the midpoint, and how long this OTC story might be? Well, it's my feeling that the waterfall is the midpoint based on the amount of action and dialogue leading up to and around it. I've got Outside stuff to attend to, so I'll stop for now, but I will continue.

Next: Rising and Falling Action

|<first <previous >next WARNING for first time readers and blitzers: the 'next' link takes you farther along in the thread and may reveal information you don't want to know...yet.

S http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_sale:_baby_shoes,_never_worn "For sale: baby shoes, never worn is the entirety of what has been described as a six-word novel, making it an extreme example of what is called flash fiction or sudden fiction. Although it is often attributed to Ernest Hemingway, the link to him is unsubstantiated, and in fact the 'story' predates Hemingway's writing career."
E [rul]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal[/url] "Fractals are typically self-similar patterns, where self-similar means they are 'the same from near as from far'."
A LaPetite might be considered a character, but since she/he has had no dialogue yet, or any major interaction with the two "principal" characters, I'll leave him/her out. It doesn't change my analysis. See Cast Away for another way to solve the interaction problem.
R We don't know why its rise is a problem, perhaps because it threatens the tents, perhaps just curiousity on the part of Megan and Cueball.
I Other than to say, "Hi" or "We won't hurt you".
S You might recommend the first one to a friend, but only as a clever example.
E I'm not really sure why I'm a confirmed Randallversist. The geography is important, as I said, to the atmosphere of a story, but usually not as relevant to the plot. I can't think of a story where the location is 'hidden', I'm sure they exist and I've probably read some of them, but they definitely are in the minority.

Edit: Perfectionist. Closed up paragraph, closed parenthesis
Edit2: added next to nav bar
Edit3: added warning for 'next' link
Last edited by ttscp on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:02 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
partingLance wrote:But -- thought I to myself, thought I -- has anyone compiled a simple Chronicle of the OTT? Just a chronological listing (by NP of course, no Outsider time units) of OTT Firsts? All the OTT words we now take for granted -- when, exactly, were they coined? And all the familiar tropes, and in-jokes, and references to bits of Outside culture on the subject of [heresy, because not capitalized]time[/hbnc]? When did someone first mention the Javascript, or Hendrix's "Castles Made of Sand," or "Waiting For Godot" (this last far later on than you might think)? Not to mention semencaffeinecancerbabiesonice, and so forth.
Spoiler:

Quite a task, I'd say. If you could provide the ID of the post in which the first appeared, this could be neatly combined with our databases (for graphing, charting and other statistics and general nonsense).

I will; and as ttscp suggests, I'll make sure it gets on the wiki, one way or another.

Yes, quite a task; but then, Time is on my side.

(Has no-one filked that yet? StratPlayer? How say you?)
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

Early proof of concept, trying to get the scale down.

Non-heretical chocolate for guessing the location
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:...I think I've finally figured out my proper role in the OTT. After all, in the Outside I'm a geologist, and in my previous career [sic] was a historian. So [...] thought I -- has anyone compiled a simple Chronicle of the OTT? Just a chronological listing (by NP of course, no Outsider time units) of OTT Firsts? [...] Now, I could always do this just by searching; and in some cases, where I think I may have overlooked something, I have double-checked that way. But I decided to get right down on the metal, and do this the old-fashioned, and of course the hard way, by Blitzing.
That is an awesome Quest, and will lead to a truly awesome Gospel. (It would be nice if the current frame number and the current newpage be noted for these firsts also.)

partingLance, rise and kneel.

By the power vested in me as Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction, in recognition of the True Faith and Dedication you have shown to the One True Thread and the One True Comic, do I bless your Perilous and Holy Quest, that you have the strength to handle the Great Temptations inside the tvtropes, the youtubes, the wikipedias, and all other Outside Dangers you may find amongst these pages, and emerge Gloriously at the Future Present, in its own Time. We humbly ask that the Blessings of Time fall on our intrepid traveler, True Pilgrim Of Time partingLance, that he be enlightened, uplifted, and granted the Tree of Life.

And herewith do I also dedicate a shelf for you1 amongst the Holy Books in the Great Library of the Order of the Holy Contradiction on the One True Wiki, that your most Blessed Writings be compiled, and blessed upon your Second Coming.

The sea is big. We open ourselves up to it.
The river is small. Although we are smaller, we can, and must, drink from the river of Time.
The tree is neat. Let us all live up to it.

Jose
1You'll have to wait for it, but not for long.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
partingLance wrote:...I think I've finally figured out my proper role in the OTT. After all, in the Outside I'm a geologist, and in my previous career [sic] was a historian. So [...] thought I -- has anyone compiled a simple Chronicle of the OTT? Just a chronological listing (by NP of course, no Outsider time units) of OTT Firsts? [...] Now, I could always do this just by searching; and in some cases, where I think I may have overlooked something, I have double-checked that way. But I decided to get right down on the metal, and do this the old-fashioned, and of course the hard way, by Blitzing.
That is an awesome Quest, and will lead to a truly awesome Gospel. (It would be nice if the current frame number and the current newpage be noted for these firsts also.)

partingLance, rise and kneel.

By the power vested in me as Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction, in recognition of the True Faith and Dedication you have shown to the One True Thread and the One True Comic, do I bless your Perilous and Holy Quest, that you have the strength to handle the Great Temptations inside the tvtropes, the youtubes, the wikipedias, and all other Outside Dangers you may find amongst these pages, and emerge Gloriously at the Future Present, in its own Time. We humbly ask that the Blessings of Time fall on our intrepid traveler, True Pilgrim Of Time partingLance, that he be enlightened, uplifted, and granted the Tree of Life.

And herewith do I also dedicate a shelf for you1 amongst the Holy Books in the Great Library of the Order of the Holy Contradiction on the One True Wiki, that your most Blessed Writings be compiled, and blessed upon your Second Coming.

The sea is big. We open ourselves up to it.
The river is small. Although we are smaller, we can, and must, drink from the river of Time.
The tree is neat. Let us all live up to it.

Jose
1You'll have to wait for it, but not for long.

....as someone said: gawrsh. I can only pray I'm worthy of these illustrious honours, and that they not be prematurely granted.

And now, without further ado: Onward! Or Backward! Or something! My next post will be my next instalment.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

HES wrote:Early proof of concept, trying to get the scale down.
Spoiler:

That's gorgeous.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
Spoiler:

That's gorgeous.

Neat, even.
Go Minim go!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

leav-ONG the view soon?
Molpy on the right bank? It was there earlier also.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

ucim wrote:That is an awesome Quest, and will lead to a truly awesome Gospel. (It would be nice if the current frame number and the current newpage be noted for these firsts also.)

It would be trivial for us data wranglers to get that information from the post ID and provide time, newpage, frame number, user etc; so I think the ID is sufficient. No need to weigh down the quest with administrational minutiae.
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

Aww. I wanted more waowterfall!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
My madspace
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

akacat

Postby akacat » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

Spoiler:

I particularly like the first image. However, non-heretical chocolate sounds a lot like heresy to me.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Aww. I wanted more waowterfall!

Didja miss it? Ya gotta watch, not just be.

Your space is being watched. Hoping for something spectacular to appear there. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Molpy on the right bank? It was there earlier also.

Hasn't moved...
(Frames 1935 vs. 1940 as per the Book of Aubron)
Spoiler:
nomolpy.gif
nomolpy.gif (2.86 KiB) Viewed 10678 times
Last edited by Zorin_75 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Go Minim go!

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
ucim wrote:That is an awesome Quest, and will lead to a truly awesome Gospel. (It would be nice if the current frame number and the current newpage be noted for these firsts also.)

It would be trivial for us data wranglers to get that information from the post ID and provide time, newpage, frame number, user etc; so I think the ID is sufficient. No need to weigh down the quest with administrational minutiae.

Do you have a way to get a post ID that doesn't change when moderated first posts come into the thread or posts are deleted? If so, I'd like to know it; it seems to me that the ID changes and I have to scroll up or down to find the indicated post. Granted, for early posts it shouldn't matter, but later posts will be a problem.

ETA: early posts
Last edited by ttscp on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Aww. I wanted more waowterfall!

Didja miss it? Ya gotta watch, not just be.

Your space is being watched. Hoping for something spectacular to appear there. Waiting.

Well it's not my fault I start being able to claim having another year around this time! Apparently, Outsiders like to celebrate when this happens. But I do get some nice Lush stuff so it's all okay really.

But carry on watching that space.
My madspace
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:Do you have a way to get a post ID that doesn't change when moderated first posts come into the thread or posts are deleted? If so, I'd like to know it; it seems to me that the ID changes and I have to scroll up or down to find the indicated post.

The post ID is universal and does not change, even if posts are deleted or delayed. For instance, this one of yours I am quoting is 3377280. You can get it by mousing over the title of the post and looking at the last part of the url (at least it works like this in chrome).

Technical explanation ahead, so spoilered.
Spoiler:
Deciphering the url:
f=7 refers to the forum (number 7; duh)
t=101043 refers to the OTT
p=3377280 refers to the post (the forum server determines the appropriate newpage on its own)
#3377280 makes sure you are transferred directly to the right post on the newpage
Last edited by Sciscitor on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Well it's not my fault I start being able to claim having another year around this time! Apparently, Outsiders like to celebrate when this happens. But I do get some nice Lush stuff so it's all okay really.

Oh no, so sorry you had to endure that... But look here, I've updated the animation with the fourth of the frames revealed to us:

Spoiler:
wowfall.gif
Go Minim go!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

Just leaving this here :D
Attachments
Wait for it Banner (complete).png
Last edited by AluisioASG on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:46 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Well it's not my fault I start being able to claim having another year around this time! Apparently, Outsiders like to celebrate when this happens. But I do get some nice Lush stuff so it's all okay really.

Oh no, so sorry you had to endure that... But look here, I've updated the animation with the fourth of the frames revealed to us:
Spoiler:

wowfall.gif

Ooh, purdy...

Anyone like some cake?

Spoiler:

(I found it just by googling 'cake'. :lol: )
My madspace

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

Spoiler:

wowfall.gif

Ooh, purdy...

Anyone like some cake?

Spoiler:

Hmmmm. Hints here that you've had another hatching/molting day. Be happy, stay happy.

Ya ain't ketchuping to me tho. Jus holdin' yer own.
-- Charlie Grumbles

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

Those animations of the wowterfall are 3, Zorin! And so is the name "wowterfall," fhorn! :)

Also loved the new chapter of Acts of the Clerics, and good luck to partingLance on a grand blitzing!

AluisioASG wrote:Just leaving this here :D
(Can anyone lend me a xkcd-styled raptor? Facing LaPetite left, preferentially.)

Awesomeful! There's a raptor in this early xkcd.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

Spoiler:

wowfall.gif

Ooh, purdy...

Anyone like some cake?

Spoiler:

Hmmmm. Hints here that you've had another hatching/molting day. Be happy, stay happy.

Ya ain't ketchuping to me tho. Jus holdin' yer own.

It's not actually come yet, but it's due to soon and the weekend is when I'm with my father.
My madspace

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:But look here, I've updated the animation with the fourth of the frames revealed to us:
Spoiler:

Lovely Neat! Is it my imagination, or is the water blue?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Ray Kremer

Postby Ray Kremer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

Selcouth wrote:I just realized what this reminds me of! Look at number 3 in this article.

Look at number 5!
#5. Tsingy de Bemaraha National Park -- Madagascar

It's all connected!

ttscp wrote:Do you have a way to get a post ID that doesn't change when moderated first posts come into the thread or posts are deleted? If so, I'd like to know it; it seems to me that the ID changes and I have to scroll up or down to find the indicated post. Granted, for early posts it shouldn't matter, but later posts will be a problem.

Sometime you have to scroll because the browser gets you to the post (the <a name> tag in the page html) before it has all the images in the page loaded. So as it loads the images it pushes the post in question down and off your screen. Once the whole page is loaded though you can hit refresh and it'll work properly.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”