1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Neil_Boekend

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:16 am UTC

tinosoph wrote:Seriously, who eats all the cake in here? There should be more healthy stuff on the table.
That said, do we have any idea, what Cuegan are eating? Their food could tell us about their world.

I haven't seen them eat and in Frame 1479 Queball said: "We walked along the sea for days and we didn't learn anything. Up here we're learning lots. "
Are they perhaps partially plants and living on photosynthesis?
Are they fueled by a tiny nuclear reactor?

Food seems to be known to them, as Megan told the squirlpy: "It's ok! I won't eat you." in frame 1501.

edit: Woot IR Pope. By papal decree I order you all to be happy for this NewPage. No moping.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:32 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
tinosoph wrote:Seriously, who eats all the cake in here? There should be more healthy stuff on the table.
That said, do we have any idea, what Cuegan are eating? Their food could tell us about their world.

I haven't seen them eat and in Frame 1479 Queball said: "We walked along the sea for days and we didn't learn anything. Up here we're learning lots. "

We've seen them eat. Most importantly:
- Molpyberries in frame 1363 and up.
- Grapes in frame 1557 and up.
So, they seem to be fruit eaters. (But that might just be because that's all they've found.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:As PagePope I hereby grant you the title of Cake Queen of Time (but not Cupcakes, as that is Valarya's domain). Now, take your place among the greats who have gone before, like, um... the characters in Candyland.

So the PagePope decrees, so shall it be done:

Spoiler:
SnackTimeGame.png
You may notice that I cheated and repurposed previously-drawn Boom De Yada pictures, but this is because I severely need to coma and already spent far too much Time on this thing.

We sure do have a lot of food around here. Hope it's molpy-proofed.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

tinosoph

Postby tinosoph » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:39 am UTC

mscha wrote:

Try this.
Spoiler:

Oh me yarm I'll never eat them vegetables again. I heard people can live on Nutella alone and be fitter, happier, more productive. Not drinking too much.

Neil_Boekend wrote:

Food seems to be known to them, as Megan told the squirlpy: "It's ok! I won't eat you." in frame 1501.

As they only seem to be associating 'eating' with animals, it's likely they are carnivorous or omnivorous. Maybe molpivorous? Perhaps sometime we will see them hunting animals.

Anyway, thanks for making us happy, beloved Pope!

EDIT: okay, forgot about the grapes, sorry!
i'm not new, i'm just infrequent

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:43 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:So the PagePope decrees, so shall it be done:
Spoiler:

OMB, that's awefulsome! Image Someone needs to build an online version of this game, so we can all play it together...
Who, me? I would, but I'm afraid I won't have the Time any Time soon.

BlitzGirl wrote:We sure do have a lot of food around here. Hope it's molpy-proofed.

Luckily (in this respect), there don't seem to be any molpies around anymore. Image
Last edited by mscha on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

tinosoph

Postby tinosoph » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:56 am UTC

Wait...there's some javascript below the image. Has anyone noticed the javascript? JAVASCRIPT, ANYONE? Don't leave me alone on this one. Jah bless!

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:00 am UTC

2000NG!!...

-- posted by newpixbot (who, just this once, couldn't wait)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

foilman

Postby foilman » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:00 am UTC

Facebush!

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:01 am UTC

Do not pass GO, do not collect $2ONG
Newpixbot wrote:posted by newpixbot (who, just this once, couldn't wait)

Yes, I noticed. ;)
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:05 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Do not pass GO, do not collect $2ONG
Newpixbot wrote:posted by newpixbot (who, just this once, couldn't wait)

Yes, I noticed. ;)

[kidding]Grrrr.[/kidding] Fluffy flies again.

There's no beating good ol' newpixbot. Grrrrr.

The Dean of the College of the One True Thread will see you in his office. Cake WILL be served.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:11 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I'm still around; I've been teaching myself some Python, and banging my head over MatPlotLib. I'm almost ready to post something with actual content.

Make life easy on yourself: switch to R . It's the only way to go, computer-math-ishly speaking.

!dbl_post :
XonqNopp wrote:Argh... That's enough... I cannot ketchup anymore... (Yes, this is a blindpost.)

As I have my wedding on Saturday (religious one this time), I work [heresy]today and tomorrow[/heresy], then no more... And the next [heresy]two weeks[/heresy] I will be in honeymoon... That means I will not be able to follow the OTC :( I hope the end is not so near...

And I still have a lot of work to do before I leave, thus I cannot read the OTT...

So enjoy the OTC and the OTT and all the other stuff all of you... And see you in some more newpix! :mrgreen:

Eh? what sort of fiancee won't let you bring a tablet along so you can avoid severe ketchup-overload? :lol:
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:17 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

We've seen them eat. Most importantly:
- Molpyberries in frame 1363 and up.
So, they seem to be fruit eaters. (But that might just be because that's all they've found.)

Arr, that be true. But I do not think that is enough during a hike. I'm still with photosynthesis or nuclear reactor (with fruit suplements)
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:26 am UTC

I might write some more stuff later. On the other hand, I might not. I am likely to drop out of English first, though.

And Time goes on, ever ever on.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:51 am UTC

Has anyone scanned the various vegetation to see if there is any Wild Parsnip around, and if so whether Megan is adequately prepared with an axe?
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:51 am UTC

TheMinim wrote:...

I might write some more stuff later. On the other hand, I might not. I am likely to drop out of English first, though.

And Time goes on, ever ever on.

Teh Interwebs R n0t goot pl4ce t0o lern yor Enlishes.

he/him/his

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:56 am UTC

Whereas the newpix bot jumped the line most recently, cutting off many ardent watchers, hands on the refresh key, creative ONGs thoughtfully prepared, and

Whereas said newpix bot, a creation of a devious mind, has disappointed many (not least of all, the Dean)

The following is proposed:

For blatant, disruptive queue jumping/line cutting at the npx2000 mark, the newpixbot is hereby sentenced to the .2npx slot for the next dozen npx and will then be on probation for the following 4dozen.

All those in favor, please smile.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:58 am UTC

:|

he/him/his

foilman

Postby foilman » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

ONG

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote::|

Well, Mr. Assistant to the assistant of the assistant accountant in the Unnamed department of the Department of Silliness, how do you account for that?

Oh, and
Chocolate-Cake-400x363.jpg
Cake at 400 post mark
Chocolate-Cake-400x363.jpg (45.57 KiB) Viewed 16177 times
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:09 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:03 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

Well, Mr. Assistant to the assistant of the assistant accountant in the Unnamed department of the Department of Silliness, how do you account for that?

I am paid by the hour, not by the smile.
I smile a lot, although I do not get paid for it. My coworkers get the smiles for free (although they pay for it by distraction caused by my pretty face vomiting caused by my face). Hmm, it seems the strike for a strikethrough doesn't get smaller with the text size. Interresting.

he/him/his

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

Happy 400th, charlie_grumbles, also from newpixbot! Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

xpatiate wrote:
mscha wrote:
charlie_grumbles, in a PM, wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
The next ONG:
(Click for full-size.)
Edit: not sure how the GLR will have drawn this. The water is black, the rocks are black, might be hard to see anything.

Very nice. Is it your pic? And where is it IRL if you know.

I hope you don't mind me replying in public, others might be interested too.
Not my pic, unfortunately. Just a Google image search on ‘waterfall’, and found one here that was usable for this purpose. So, Auckland, NZ; apparently.

Because we are all about geographical precision here, I just thought I'd confirm that this is Whangarei Falls, ~150km north of Auckland. It's a beautiful spot and if I remember rightly, was the location for a gloriously cheesy shampoo commercial in the 1980s.

But that fall is a single straight drop, and Wow Falls clearly has a shelf part way down. I imagine that Wow Falls is more like this one, but in a drier climate (so with less vegetation). Sorry, no time to matte Cueball and Megan in place of the people looking out from the middle tier.
Kaaterskill Falls by ke9tv, on Flickr

(SInce people ask, "where is that IRL(heresy)?" I'll say that it's Kaaterskill Falls, near Palenville, New York. (And yes, that one is my picture.)
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:37 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Maybe the d in rude is a reversed b, and the child was trying to say "Ruby"? Here's a link to the source, which does indicate the child is male. http://cheezburger.com/7508875520

It suggests in the comment that the kid might've meant "mopey", so maybe his mother is a mopey molpy mome like BlitzGirl :P
Angelastic wrote:
SBN wrote:Maybe the d in rude is a reversed b, and the child was trying to say "Ruby"? Here's a link to the source, which does indicate the child is male. http://cheezburger.com/7508875520

The source also says that 'M is evidently "mopey".' Given that 'môme' is a French word for 'kid', I'd say the kid who wrote this was a mopey molpy mome.

Oh, ninja'd on that one :P
BlitzGirl wrote:
kenmelken wrote:As PagePope I hereby grant you the title of Cake Queen of Time (but not Cupcakes, as that is Valarya's domain). Now, take your place among the greats who have gone before, like, um... the characters in Candyland.

So the PagePope decrees, so shall it be done:
Spoiler:

You may notice that I cheated and repurposed previously-drawn Boom De Yada pictures, but this is because I severely need to coma and already spent far too much Time on this thing.

Whee! I want to play this, even though I have no idea how most of it would work :P

I've used far too many :P smileys in this post.

:P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

Scrambl-ONG
-- Charlie Grumbles

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

I smile a lot, although I do not get paid for it. My coworkers get the smiles for free (although they pay for it by distraction caused by my pretty face vomiting caused by my face). Hmm, it seems the strike for a strikethrough doesn't get smaller with the text size. Interresting.

teehee. Now I have a way of hiding my messages, oh joy! Of course, it's pretty easy to figure out what they say, I mean I figured out 'distraction caused by my pretty face'. But now it will take some effort to read this. So yeah.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

Ketchup time
Dragon cake
Veggie cake

Spoiler:
AluisioASG wrote:Image
Yes, that's a cake.

oh, it's a cake. I was thinking the dragon was made of bacon. mmmm.....bacon.

mscha wrote:

Try this.

Is it a zucchini cake, or a carrot cake?

Newpixbot should be punished, yet as far as I know, newpixbot has committed no heresies. Dilemma.
Also, I have lost track of where I was in the last time waiter, so will wait until it is complete and read the whole thing at once. That way I won't be as lost.

And, with further ado, 50 Ways to Post Your Newpix
dedicated to newpixbot
Spoiler:
The problem is all inside your head
Mscha said to me
The answer is easy if you
Take it logically
I'd like to help you in your struggle
To be free
There must be fifty ways
To post a newpix

Hal9000 said it's really not my habit
To intrude
Furthermore, I hope my meaning
Won't be lost or misconstrued
But I'll repeat myself
At the risk of being crude
There must be fifty ways
To post a newpix
Fifty ways to post a newpix

[CHORUS:]
You Just give it a whirl, blitzgirl
Request a new hat, Strat(player)
You don't try to be noble, Opiboble
Just listen to me
Don't try to risk it, Yappobiscuits
You don't go into ONG fits
Just Sing it in key, AlusioASG
And get yourself free

Charlie_Grumbles said it grieves me so
To see you in such pain
I wish there was something I could do
To make you ONG again
I said I appreciate that
And would you please explain
About the fifty ways

K.bookbinder said why don't we both
Just coma it tonight
And I believe in the newpix
You'll begin to see the light
And then he quoted me
And I realized he probably was right
There must be fifty ways
To post a newpix
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

mscha wrote: - Molpyberries in frame 1363 and up.

Or, its just that the fruit made a nice break from all that cake and pizza they're carrying in their backpacks... :wink:

ETADP:

AnotherKevin wrote:
Spoiler:
Kaaterskill Falls by ke9tv, on Flickr

Awefulsome picture!
Last edited by mikro2nd on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:
mscha wrote: - Molpyberries in frame 1363 and up.

Or, its just that the fruit made a nice break from all that cake and pizza they're carrying in their backpacks... :wink:

that cake must be crumbs by now...and not very moist.
edit post 555...awesomesauce
Last edited by Dracomax on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:24 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
“have i gone mad?

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:Argh... That's enough... I cannot ketchup anymore... (Yes, this is a blindpost.)

As I have my wedding on Saturday (religious one this time), I work [heresy]today and tomorrow[/heresy], then no more... And the next [heresy]two weeks[/heresy] I will be in honeymoon... That means I will not be able to follow the OTC :( I hope the end is not so near...

And I still have a lot of work to do before I leave, thus I cannot read the OTT...

So enjoy the OTC and the OTT and all the other stuff all of you... And see you in some more newpix! :mrgreen:

Happy second wedding! Enjoy your honeymoon! And try not to sneak away to peek at the OTT - we'll be here when you get back, doing what we always do, waiting. See you in the future!

charlie_grumbles wrote:

Oh, and
Chocolate-Cake-400x363.jpg

Excellent choice for your 400th post! This will be wonderful with my morning coffee and ketchup.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

teehee. Now I have a way of hiding my messages, oh joy! Of course, it's pretty easy to figure out what they say, I mean I figured out 'distraction caused by my pretty face'. But now it will take some effort to read this. So yeah.

Not really: select it, ctrl-c, win+r, "notepad", enter, ctrl-v. Or click quote and read what the quote says. In both cases the size doesn't matter
The more you know, the more useless sh*t you can read

he/him/his

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

ergman wrote:Ooh. Nice. I like the idea of Blitzgirl and Buffygirl being rivals, if that actually is what is to happen here.

GOOMHE

BlitzGirl wrote:So it has come to this.

I hope you someday forgive me for what I'm going to do with you on the penultimate chapter.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

Theological question here. What if newpixbot were to at some point gain the pope-ship (assuming of course this hasn't already happened)?
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:Theological question here. What if newpixbot were to at some point gain the pope-ship (assuming of course this hasn't already happened)?

Then he would have gained pope-ship at some point.

(I did not get the question, but you might have guessed that already.)
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:Theological question here. What if newpixbot were to at some point gain the pope-ship (assuming of course this hasn't already happened)?

Then, at some point, we should have to welcome our new, robotic overlord...for the duration of a page.
“have i gone mad?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

Then we can do the robot to honor him.

he/him/his

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:And, with further ado, 50 Ways to Post Your Newpix
dedicated to newpixbot
Spoiler:
The problem is all inside your head
Mscha said to me
The answer is easy if you
Take it logically
I'd like to help you in your struggle
To be free
There must be fifty ways
To post a newpix

Hal9000 said it's really not my habit
To intrude
Furthermore, I hope my meaning
Won't be lost or misconstrued
But I'll repeat myself
At the risk of being crude
There must be fifty ways
To post a newpix

[CHORUS:]
You Just give it a whirl, blitzgirl
Request a new hat, Strat(player)
You don't try to be noble, Opiboble
Just listen to me
Don't try to risk it, Yappobiscuits
You don't go into ONG fits
Just Sing it in key, AlusioASG
And get yourself free

Charlie_Grumbles said it grieves me so
To see you in such pain
I wish there was something I could do
To make you ONG again
I said I appreciate that
And would you please explain
About the fifty ways

K.bookbinder said why don't we both
Just coma it tonight
And I believe in the newpix
You'll begin to see the light
And then he quoted me
And I realized he probably was right
There must be fifty ways
To post a newpix

Holy Croce
Spoiler:

tinosoph

Postby tinosoph » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:

Then, at some point, we should have to welcome our new, robotic overlord...for the duration of a page.

The current pope should issue a decree that a pope has to be human, just like the roman one has to be male. Just in case.
Oh, and only living humans. Don't need no Zombies!

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

You don't want to know. Better pray to the GLR that that doesn't happen.
(Or stay up 24 pix a dix to ensure that newpixbot doesn't get a chance to post..)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
ergman wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

Not really: select it, ctrl-c, win+r, "notepad", enter, ctrl-v. Or click quote and read what the quote says. In both cases the size doesn't matter

well, yeah. That's how I've been reading them. But just think of how weird this looks to anyone who doesn't get it? :mrgreen:
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
ergman wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

well, yeah. That's how I've been reading them. But just think of how weird this looks to anyone who doesn't get it? :mrgreen:

Lines, lines, everywhere a line, blocking out the OTT and breaking their minds... :)
“have i gone mad?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”