1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ray Kremer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Ray Kremer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:_____________________ :P

Heh, I was just thinking of doing that but you had the same idea first.

k.bookbinder wrote:In the U.S., it is taught that punctuation is always contained within the quotes. So "for instance," the comma is inside the quotes not "outside", as demonstrated here. This is especially true with sentence "endings." For some reason, it is a bad thing to end the sentence "like this". Even if the exclamation is your own, such as saying "I can't believe people are naming their kids 'Little Molpy!'" Which is double-awkward when you try to quote an exclamation and wish to continue following a coma. So if I was to quote something such as my friend, who shouted, "Look there's a Molpy!", and I want to continue the sentence, I have to break the rule and put the coma on the outside of the quote. This, I believe, is the only such exception.

Of course, I could be totally wrong about everything stated above. But throughout college, all of my history papers were written in this manner, and I never got dinged for those kinds of mistakes (and believe me, my profs were sticklers for punctuation, as any prof should be). I also believe this is the correct format for MLA, APA, and Chicago Manual styles. But again, for all I know I am completely wrong.

Popular lore has it that the closing quote marks helped keep the commas and periods from falling out the end of the row when setting movable type. (Though I don't understand why the quote mark itself didn't have the same issue.) For whatever reason this became accepted and then the rule in the United States but not in Europe. Now that the reason behind it is completely obsolete, I personally prefer the style that only has the thing you are quoting inside the quote marks.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
TheMinim wrote:I can't be bothered to read all of this tiny text.

So I'll just make some instead.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Okay, I'm a little heretical, but who needs to care? There is no Time. And Randall is the devil. I love heresy! And I have an hour and a half in each lesson on any given day.

Judgement of the Inquisition, Helpfully converted to ROT-13: Cercner gb or crygrq jvgu zvav-Z&Zf

ROT-13? I can't decode that. Can't I have it in plain simple English?

Okay, we'll just double the number of mini M&M's you get pelted with.

-- --- .-.. .--. -.-- / -- --- .-.. .--. -.-- / -- --- .-.. .--. -.-- / -- --- .-.. .--. -.-- / -- --- .-.. .--. -.-- / -- --- .-.. .--. -.-- / -- --- .-.. .--. -.-- / -- --- .-.. .--. -.-- / --. .-. .- .--. . ...- .. -. . / --. .-. .- .--. . ...- .. -. .

Gah, just goes to show that you shouldn't mention something in the OTT or people will do it. Hehe, worth decoding though.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

For lack of Molpies to animate, here's a little animation of Cuegan over the past two frames.
Spoiler:

What do you say it looks like they're doing? You've got a filthy mind!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

Ray Kremer wrote:Popular lore has it that the closing quote marks helped keep the commas and periods from falling out the end of the row when setting movable type. (Though I don't understand why the quote mark itself didn't have the same issue.) For whatever reason this became accepted and then the rule in the United States but not in Europe. Now that the reason behind it is completely obsolete, I personally prefer the style that only has the thing you are quoting inside the quote marks.

They don't do that stupid thing in Europe?! I'll just tell people I punctuate in the European style from now on. Also, if there are still popes that means for the rest of the page we all have to punctuate that way because it's what you said in your pope post. Unless the papacy has been revised. Of course it's also been disbanded at least twice, so...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

mscha wrote:For lack of Molpies to animate, here's a little animation of Cuegan over the past two frames.
Spoiler:

What do you say it looks like they're doing? You've got a filthy mind!

To me it looks more like:

What's this? Cueball is evolving!
Cueball evolved into...
MEGAN!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

Oh dear Randall, the lines, the lines!!!!
What have I done?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

ergman wrote:Oh dear Randall, the lines, the lines!!!!
What have I done?

It is too late now. this is bigger than you. bigger than me. Bigger than all of us. because it is small.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
What have I done?

It is too late now. this is bigger than you. bigger than me. Bigger than all of us. because it is small.

That didn't even show up on my screen at all. For a second I thought maybe you set the text color to be the same as the page, but... wait, no, now people are going to do that, aren't they...

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
What have I done?

That didn't even show up on my screen at all. For a second I thought maybe you set the text color to be the same as the page, but... wait, no, now people are going to do that, aren't they...

Yeah, it was me being a horse's behind.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

KETCHUP:

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
kenmelken wrote:As PagePope I hereby grant you the title of Cake Queen of Time (but not Cupcakes, as that is Valarya's domain). Now, take your place among the greats who have gone before, like, um... the characters in Candyland.

So the PagePope decrees, so shall it be done:

ImageYou may notice that I cheated and repurposed previously-drawn Boom De Yada pictures, but this is because I severely need to coma and already spent far too much Time on this thing.

We sure do have a lot of food around here. Hope it's molpy-proofed.

!!!! That's abso-freakin-lutely amazing! Stunned how fast you threw that together! Truly epic, and with such initiative to take my passing comment about CandyLand to such an awesome extreme. You deserve a prize. (That means you're on the prize list now, with ChronosDragon, k.bookbinder, and Azule. I still don't have prizes, but, uh... wait for it.)

Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:The 45-page Blitz has begun. I will be joining you all in the present within the next week.

Welcome back-ish, HAL!! Image

kenmelken wrote:I posted a GIF animation consisting of only the prime-numbered frames of Time, ala Other Comic 521.
<snip>
So, here's the updated PrimeTime Gif:
PrimeTime1993.gif

Lovely!! I saw two beesnakes, a squirpy, a chirlpy and a wowterfall. :mrgreen:

kenmelken wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Epic Picture.

*jaw gapes in awe*

As PagePope I hereby grant you the title of Cake Queen of Time (but not Cupcakes, as that is Valarya's domain).

Thanks, ken. Image I don't have photoshop at work, so here is my hilarious MSPaint version. Someone feel free to fix it. (And awesome idea, BlitzGirl!)

HAHAHAHAHA. MSPaint adventures! And good job catching all of the molpies who survived the PrimeTime panel purge.

And this tiny type stuff is kinda crazy, BT-dubs. Makes following everything a lot longer. But the fastest way to read them all rather than copy each successive post one at a time into Notepad is to find the large nested quote of all of them and hit the quote button for just that one, then read them all at once.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

ONG:

[edit]
First ong for me in a while, I've been pretty busy with heretic stuff :(

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

ergman wrote:well, yeah. That's how I've been reading them. But just think of how weird this looks to anyone who doesn't get it? :mrgreen:

Yes. Yes, it does.
I did go back and read them all. (That is a lie. I have to go back and decode the teensy coded ones.) Sheesh. What a waste of you-know-what.
Don't you children have anything better to do with your Time??!? Now you all go outside and Wait for it like the other kids. Don't come back until suppertime. (When, generally speaking, there's cake!!!)
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

akacat wrote:
tinosoph wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
moody7277 wrote:Theological question here. What if newpixbot were to at some point gain the pope-ship (assuming of course this hasn't already happened)?

Then, at some point, we should have to welcome our new, robotic overlord...for the duration of a page.

The current pope should issue a decree that a pope has to be human, just like the roman one has to be male. Just in case.
Oh, and only living humans. Don't need no Zombies!

Hasn't HAL already been a page pope? If so, it's too late.

The current pope decrees that all the future popes must be among those who
Spoiler:
Wait For It.

Under my seal this dix in the NP 2006

ETA: Sheepish Gilda Radner quote. O'l Charlie ain't even the pope any more. Ah well.
Pounds cane on porch. Sorry
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

Ray Kremer wrote:Popular lore has it that the closing quote marks helped keep the commas and periods from falling out the end of the row when setting movable type. (Though I don't understand why the quote mark itself didn't have the same issue.) For whatever reason this became accepted and then the rule in the United States but not in Europe.

I suddenly want to move to Europe.

'Cause that silly quoting style is worse than tiny text. Could y'all please stop with the tiny text?!?!?!?!?2364q!$#^&^

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:
Ray Kremer wrote:Popular lore has it that the closing quote marks helped keep the commas and periods from falling out the end of the row when setting movable type. (Though I don't understand why the quote mark itself didn't have the same issue.) For whatever reason this became accepted and then the rule in the United States but not in Europe.

My brain parsed "Popular lore" as "Lore of the Pope".
Last edited by taixzo on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:

You mean to say that there is a difference? Are they not one and the same?

Edit: fixed quote blocks, fix phrasing
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:

'Cause that silly quoting style is worse than tiny text. Could y'all please stop with the tiny text?!?!?!?!?2364q!$#^&^

Well, what is the convention on Mars?

Oh, and @mscha: I enjoyed your Fibonacci gif. Made me wonder what other "Math Digest" versions of Time could be created. Perfect squares and cubes? Multiples of certain bases? OOH! What about various Collatz conjecture arrangements (which would, of course, jump forward and back in Time before reaching frame one)?
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:

You mean to say that there is a difference? Are they not one in the same?

Edit: fixed quote blocks

Isn't it "one and the same"? I always get mental whiplash when I see a common saying written out differently than I write it in my head...

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:

Isn't it "one and the same"? I always get mental whiplash when I see a common saying written out differently than I write it in my head...

Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRMRCeQBAKI&feature=youtu.be

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:edit: punctuation
Oh, the irony!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who laughed loudly when I saw the edit. :mrgreen:

mscha wrote:Kids, kids, enough already with the tiny fonts!

Yeah, looks like Part 2 of posts-Val-will-not-read. I refuse to click on any of them and it just makes my record of reading the entirety of the OTT a bit less clean. I'm OK with that, I think. Image
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

I decided to work on the last chapter of The Last Time Waiter instead of the next one.
I'll just leave this here:
At that moment, their attacker entered the room and fired a plasma shottoroid-shaped at its doppelgänger
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:

Yes. http://grammarist.com/usage/one-in-the-same/
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:

Yes, that's a cake.

With a bacon dragon?

ETA ninja'd in the very next post to AluisioASG's.
So I'll add that Rule110's song about all them Theories they's all got is smashing even without knowing the tune.
Last edited by Exodies on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

kenmelken, I think you're over-thinking what the prize should be; a gazebomolpy seems perfect to me!
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:

?The convention on the planet ”Mars“ ?Do you really want to know .It"s even worse than America,s convention ‛in my opinion .It came about because of a bug in the quantum computers 925B years ago ].That's Venusian years .Another strange convention we have here[

.That number is in tridecimal ].Yet another strange convention ‛of course[9

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:

This is what happens when I attempt to post quickly, in secret, whilst I should be focusing on that woefully heretical concept of "work." "work". <---I shall put my punctuation where I damn well please, thank you.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:

?The convention on the planet ”Mars“ ?Do you really want to know .It"s even worse than America,s convention ‛in my opinion .It came about because of a bug in the quantum computers 925B years ago ].That's Venusian years .Another strange convention we have here[

.That number is in tridecimal ].Yet another strange convention ‛of course[9

BAH! Make it stop! Next time I'm pope I'm waging a crusade/war on Martian punctuation standards!

And @Bluecrab: What an excellent suggestion! For that, you win a prize! :P

And I shall use your suggested prize to award ChronosDragon, as it is most related to what I owe him a prize for. So, with ChronosDragon now paid in full, I still owe prizes to k.bookbinder, azule, BlitzGirl, and now BlueCrab...

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

I want to congratulate Rule110 on his recursive avatar.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:To one about to be married, I have the following advice.

To a true craftsman, it isn't the size of the hammer that matters. It is how well he wields it.

Are you advocating domestic violence?

Ummmm. Bliss, actually.

With a hammer? I want to not marry you. :) (I think that's another first for the Chronicle.)

When all you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like it needs to get nailed.

Worst "I see what you did there" of the week!

PS-- to all your microfine font posters, Hey please stop. My eyes are in pain!
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

While I'm catching up on prize debts, I shall now award k.bookbinder his prize. Not gonna lie, I'm struggling to remember what you won your prize for. But, uh... I found a cultural reference for you as a prize, about forgetting to get a present until the last minute, so it seemed to fit!

Your prize is thus (you ever watch Teen Girl Squad?):
Spoiler:
gazellecarcass.PNG

(Curious question for our expert on firsts, PartingLance: Is this the first time someone has referenced Teen Girl Squad on the OTT?)

Oh, and for any of you who want to watch the full episode I snipped this from: http://homestarrunner.com/tgs6.html

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Oh, and @mscha: I enjoyed your Fibonacci gif. Made me wonder what other "Math Digest" versions of Time could be created. Perfect squares and cubes? Multiples of certain bases? OOH! What about various Collatz conjecture arrangements (which would, of course, jump forward and back in Time before reaching frame one)?

Hmm, that might be tricky...
If you start with frame 2000, you continue with 1000, 500, 250, 125, so that seems promising. But a little while later, you end up at frame 9232 (which we won't have for quite a while).
(...)
The highest frame number we can reach without exceeding 2006 in the sequence, is 1992, starting on ... 1992.
Here's an animation using that sequence in reverse, with the following frames: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 5, 10, 20, 40, 13, 26, 52, 17, 34, 11, 22, 44, 88, 29, 58, 19, 38, 76, 152, 304, 101, 202, 404, 808, 269, 538, 179, 358, 119, 238, 476, 952, 317, 634, 211, 422, 844, 281, 562, 187, 374, 748, 249, 498, 996, 1992.
Spoiler:

(Background.)
Last edited by mscha on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRMRCeQB ... e=youtu.be
...which, by the way, is wrong. "Effect" and "Affect" are both verbs; they just mean different things. "Effect" means to cause to happen; "Affect" means to cause to happen differently. They are also both nouns, with different meanings. I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

JONGLEURS...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:ETA ninja'd in the very next post to AluisioASG's.
So I'll add that Rule110's song about all them Theories they's all got is smashing even without knowing the tune.

Thanks! Here, this should help with the tune. Set up: in the musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the cast of characters, who often fight vampires, monsters, demons, evil enchantments, and so forth, are wondering what's causing everyone to keep bursting into song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPplDPm2m4Y Note that this is performed by the regular cast of a long-running television series that is not normally musical. By chance, some of them can sing. Emphasis on "some." One of the characters (who appears to be a young woman but actually is, or at least used to be, a powerful demon), has a thing about bunnies. Two others, also young women, are practicing Wiccan-style witches.
Last edited by Rule110 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
kenmelken wrote:... OOH! What about various Collatz conjecture arrangements (which would, of course, jump forward and back in Time before reaching frame one)?

If you start with frame 2000, you continue with 1000, 500, 250, 125, so that seems promising. But a little while later, you end up at frame 9232 (which we won't have for quite a while).
That's ok. We'll wait for it.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Oh, and @mscha: I enjoyed your Fibonacci gif. Made me wonder what other "Math Digest" versions of Time could be created. Perfect squares and cubes? Multiples of certain bases? OOH! What about various Collatz conjecture arrangements (which would, of course, jump forward and back in Time before reaching frame one)?

(...)
The highest frame number we can reach without exceeding 2006 in the sequence, is 1992, starting on ... 1992.
Here's an animation using that sequence in reverse, with the following frames: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 5, 10, 20, 40, 13, 26, 52, 17, 34, 11, 22, 44, 88, 29, 58, 19, 38, 76, 152, 304, 101, 202, 404, 808, 269, 538, 179, 358, 119, 238, 476, 952, 317, 634, 211, 422, 844, 281, 562, 187, 374, 748, 249, 498, 996, 1992.
Spoiler:

(Background.)

Whoa... That was way trippier than I could have hoped for. I'm gonna have to play more with that idea later when I have more Time. :) There's gotta be some pretty fun sequences to play with. Math is a cool friend to have.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Ab gval sbagf? Jung nobhg ebg13?
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRMRCeQB ... e=youtu.be
...which, by the way, is wrong. "Effect" and "Affect" are both verbs; they just mean different things. "Effect" means to cause to happen; "Affect" means to cause to happen differently. They are also both nouns, with different meanings. I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader. :)

Jose

My affect was affected when he effected a change in the mood of the room with a nifty lighting effect?
noun, verb, verb, noun?

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Ab gval sbagf? Jung nobhg ebg13?

-. . . .-. --. .-. -- -....- .. -... .... ..-.!

edit: oops, double post. my bad guys, my bad

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
mscha wrote:
kenmelken wrote:... OOH! What about various Collatz conjecture arrangements (which would, of course, jump forward and back in Time before reaching frame one)?

That's ok. We'll wait for it.

Okay, if you remind me in about 10 mix, I'll create the Collatz sequence 2000 animation.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”