1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kieryn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:06 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:The boulder isn't the only problem...

enhance.png

To confirm what others have said, if they're following a ridge up a weathered mountain, the overall steepness to the summit may or may not increase greatly from what we've seen the last few scenes. But even if it doesn't increase, there's a chance of running into obstacles such as a shelf (flat on top, but fronted with, say, a sheer 10 cue cliff). They're not following a mapped route or a trail, so the chance of finding a route without some trial and error should, realistically, be small.

Usually things would be rougher if they stayed at river bank level instead of ascending a ridge. The overall slope would be less early on and greater as they got closer (horizontally) to the summit, with gorges headed with sheer walls and waterfalls along the way.

Even if the slopes just continue as they are, the hike can become very fatiguing. Even a small mountain (say, a climb of 500 cues) would require traversing about 150 or so backgrounds like the last few backgrounds we've seen. We can assume Megan and Cueball are in good shape but how much uphill walking could they have done, given what they've said about where they've been and what they know? I don't expect them to give up just because of that (without some greater obstacle presenting itself) but I do expect a comment to the effect of, "walking uphill is more tiring than I thought."

Yeah, if you aren't young, fit or used to climbing, it can get tiring pretty quickly. I often found there were a few phases I'd go through:

1) Oh this is easy
2) Ooh it's a bit further than I thought. Legs are aching a bit.
3) OOOOOH my bleeding legs. I GIVE UP! Can we go back now?
4) Hmmm, can't really feel my legs now, but hey they seem to be working just fine. Guess I'll just go with it.
5) Starting to pant a bit
6) Yay, got to the top! Why do my legs hurt more when I'm sitting down???
7) Okay getting dark, probably ought to get back to camp, but I don't think my legs will work.
8) Oww Oww Oww Oww Oww
Spoiler:

Edit: Pageopope right before comatime. I pass on popeship to the next poster: taixzo.
Last edited by Kieryn on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:07 am UTC

ucim wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
taixzo wrote:How long until they have to turn around?
That is heresy! The One True Author would never give up! He would never surrender! Gee, that really cuts me to the quick - heresy from a BlitzGirl the Next! Alas, it wasn't the first one, and I doubt it will be the last.

I sentence you to Cadbury Bars!
Hmmm... yum... maybe I should commit some heresy too!

*walks into a bar in Cadbury*
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:10 am UTC

SHADOWBOXONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:12 am UTC

mscha wrote:SHADOWBOXONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot

OMFGLR it's a molpypine!
Image- Kieryn

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:13 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:I don't think it qualifies as tragedy, but lets try:
Had you chose to continue being LaPetite, BlitzGirl, half of your future would have been pretty cool.

Now you can cry for denying you were LaPetite.

But how could I continue being LaPetite when I never was LaPetite? My denials were nothing more than statements of the truth!

Who taught you how to deny?
That was some good denying there.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:13 am UTC

The Last Time Waiter, revised chapter 2: Ambush; dedicated to the Forever Perfect Milliner, buffygirl.

This is mostly just a filler chapter, so it has equally superficial epigraphs:
Admiral Ackbar wrote:It's a trap!

Pedro wrote:É uma cilada, Bino!

Spoiler:
A trip to the Northern Lights would usually take fifty days by foot, and twenty-three if mounted on the back of especially-trained animals. It was the ninth day of their journey, and in a matter of a few days they would start to cross the Endless Desert. For now, however, a huge forest extended all the way in front of them.

Suddenly, an arrow crossed through the trees and hit the Archduchess' shoulder. At the same instant, the Arch-Cardinal jumped to the ground. More arrows were heard; a few hit their targets, most didn't. When the attackers started to approach to complete their mission, out of the blue a large, circular opening appeared on the ground. The sound of raptors running away was heard. A man in elegant, aristocratic clothes leaving with them was the last thing that could be seen. The Arch-Cardinal's heart began to beat faster; the Archduchess' one was filled with anger.

A man came from the opening; he was wearing exotic clothes, similar to those used… in the Northern Lights! He saw the dead and injured people; with a touch on a device on his right ear, paramedics came from the same opening and took them away. The man started to walk down the stairs again, but then turned to those who had stayed.

The Ambassador wrote:Let's go, Halcyon awaits!

@buffygirl: You mentioned being married before, right? Don't worry, Lord Mustard won't appear again in the story (as far as I am aware). And no, your rivalry with the Archduchess is not because of him. You know, meddling kids…

PS: I tried to play the 903 alt-text game; got stuck in a loop between Homo sapiens and Latin. But then I re-read it and found out I should ignore parenthesized text; now I'm stuck between Professional and Amateur.

PS2: I'm not sure why, but the Wikipedia page for Scooby-Doo was already on my browser's history.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:16 am UTC

As I mentioned earlier, I've been teaching myself some Python and banging my head against MatPlotLib's convoluted documentation. But I finally have some results to post.

Below is a rather different visualization of user activity on the OTT. Each user gets a ranking based on three factors: total number of posts, length of time active on the thread, and something I call "regularity"─how uniform the frequency of their posting activity has been. (Click to view. Warning: It's a big image.)
Spoiler:

Regularity is why SBN and Opiboble are so far apart, even though they have nearly the same number of posts over nearly the same span of time. But SBN posted nearly every day, and Opiboble posted in big spurts, like this:
Spoiler:

As usual, don't take this too seriously. My calculations make no distinction between someone posting a :) and BlitzGirl posting another Boom De Yada. This is just for fun─not intended to be a serious analysis of anyone's contribution to the OTT.

Technical notes:
Spoiler:
[Disclaimer: I like finding ways to visualize numbers, but I am not a mathematician (much less a statistician); I just played one briefly in college (thirty-odd years ago).]

─The user ranking is a straight product of three values: total number of posts; active time interval; and regularity.

─"Active interval" is the ratio of the interval over which the user posts to the OTT to the total time covered by the data, measured in Outside days. Active = (Time of latest user post - Time of first user post) / (Time of latest OTT post - 03/25/2013 04:00 UTC).

─"Regularity" is a measure of how much the average time between posts differs from the real time. At the moment I'm using a root-mean-squares (quadratic mean) calculation, ignoring the gap before the user's first post or after the user's last post.

─I lack the code-fu to distinguish between mscha and newpixbot; combining their activity improves their joint ranking both by regularity and by post count.
Sciscitor wrote:Probably you use it already anyway but I can recommend iPython to work with MatPlotLib. I primarily use the notebook application, but the qtconsole may suit your workflow better.

I haven't looked at iPython yet─that's one too many things for me to learn right now. But I'll keep it in mind. Thanks, Sciscitor!
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
ergman wrote:<snip> Ooh. Nice. I like the idea of Blitzgirl and Buffygirl being rivals, if that actually is what is to happen here.

So it has come to this.

Indeed.

Indeed. With tragic consequences for one of you.

That's not very nice. You shouldn't foreshadow buffygirl's tragic end without wrapping it in a spoiler tag.

Instead of fighting, Maybe you could just join forces and become BliffyGirl, or Butzgirl? Wait, maybe not that second one.
Image- Kieryn

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:31 am UTC

Run, molpypine, run! They might say they won't eat you but it's been a long walk from the vineyard...

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:38 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
ergman wrote:<snip> Ooh. Nice. I like the idea of Blitzgirl and Buffygirl being rivals, if that actually is what is to happen here.

So it has come to this.

Indeed.

That's not very nice. You shouldn't foreshadow buffygirl's tragic end without wrapping it in a spoiler tag.

Instead of fighting, Maybe you could just join forces and become BliffyGirl, or Butzgirl? Wait, maybe not that second one.

Don't even suggest it. I don't want to rewrite TLTW all over again...
Selecting new quote…

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:39 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:As I mentioned earlier, I've been teaching myself some Python and banging my head against MatPlotLib's convoluted documentation. But I finally have some results to post.

Below is a rather different visualization of user activity on the OTT. Each user gets a ranking based on three factors: total number of posts, length of time active on the thread, and something I call "regularity"─how uniform the frequency of their posting activity has been. (Click to view. Warning: It's a big image.)
Spoiler:

Regularity is why SBN and Opiboble are so far apart, even though they have nearly the same number of posts over nearly the same span of time. But SBN posted nearly every day, and Opiboble posted in big spurts, like this:
Spoiler:

As usual, don't take this too seriously. My calculations make no distinction between someone posting a :) and BlitzGirl posting another Boom De Yada. This is just for fun─not intended to be a serious analysis of anyone's contribution to the OTT.

Technical notes:
Spoiler:
[Disclaimer: I like finding ways to visualize numbers, but I am not a mathematician (much less a statistician); I just played one briefly in college (thirty-odd years ago).]

─The user ranking is a straight product of three values: total number of posts; active time interval; and regularity.

─"Active interval" is the ratio of the interval over which the user posts to the OTT to the total time covered by the data, measured in Outside days. Active = (Time of latest user post - Time of first user post) / (Time of latest OTT post - 03/25/2013 04:00 UTC).

─"Regularity" is a measure of how much the average time between posts differs from the real time. At the moment I'm using a root-mean-squares (quadratic mean) calculation, ignoring the gap before the user's first post or after the user's last post.

─I lack the code-fu to distinguish between mscha and newpixbot; combining their activity improves their joint ranking both by regularity and by post count.
Sciscitor wrote:Probably you use it already anyway but I can recommend iPython to work with MatPlotLib. I primarily use the notebook application, but the qtconsole may suit your workflow better.

I haven't looked at iPython yet─that's one too many things for me to learn right now. But I'll keep it in mind. Thanks, Sciscitor!

I like!
Welcome to the Time Foundation Data Analysis Department as newly appointed OTT Grapher, Level 1!
Now we just need to form a secret a TF Security department to do this type of work and find out which of us posters might actually be molpies,
Image- Kieryn

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:45 am UTC

Wishing I had posted on NP 825 during thirds' PPP-ness. That was incredible and left me wanting the stuff in the pictures more than any cake, pizza or (gasp) cupcake ever has. Well done your past popeness. *scurries around kitchen looking for stuff to make lemonade popsicles* :mrgreen:

BlueCrab wrote:
edo wrote:Just ONG minute before newpixbot
Spoiler:

The round object on the large rock looks a bit recursive to me... On the other hand it might be a rock hyrax, but they're more limited in range than I remembered; and it looks a bit like a hedgehog, but they're really out in terms of range. Which is a pity, because I like Nanny Ogg.

Some sort of tortoise? Land crab? Hmmm. To the WikiMobile!

The moment I saw it, I thought it looked like a giant ladybug. A ladymolpy?

ETA: Oooh.. just made it to the newpic after the above newpic. It did move, after all! It obviously can't be a giant ladybug.. but I'm calling it ladymolpy anyway. Because it's a girl, can't you tell?
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:49 am UTC

I'm not convinced that's a molpypine; to me it looks more like an armadilpy (although there's no sign of a tail).
Edit: And it's coma time again. Ye who remain behind, keep the lights on for the rest of us. Good night, Mrs. MobTeeseboose, wherever you are!
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:54 am UTC

Kieryn wrote: OMFGLR it's a molpypine!

Porcupines are pretty big, but it could be a juvenile. The face bothers me, though, it looks distinctly hedgehoggish to me. Lesser tenrec? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_hedgehog_tenrec
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:57 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I'm not convinced that's a molpypine; to me it looks more like an armadilpy (although there's no sign of a tail).
Edit: And it's coma time again. Ye who remain behind, keep the lights on for the rest of us. Good night, Mrs. MobTeeseboose, wherever you are!

The heck does molpypine mean, anyway? I could see a possible armadillo, but one doesn't usually find those up in the mountains. Right? Right?

Honestly, enhanced it just looks like a ridiculously cute pig. :P A lady pig, tho.

Ladymolpy.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:00 am UTC

ucim wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Fun fact: recently proven, as the number of newpix increases to infinity, there will never be more than 70 million newpix between prime frames.
That would be cool. Assuming it's actually true ([citation needed]). Not that I would ever doubt anybody on the One True Thread. :)

I wonder what (other) significance that number would have... what else it's related to.

Jose

Sure thing! Here's a link. Yitang Zhang was the genius who proved it, and quite recently - only a couple months ago. As for the number, well, it could actually be less than that - 70 million is just a byproduct of the mathematical sieve he used to calculate it.

taixzo wrote:
ucim wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
taixzo wrote:How long until they have to turn around?
That is heresy! The One True Author would never give up! He would never surrender! Gee, that really cuts me to the quick - heresy from a BlitzGirl the Next! Alas, it wasn't the first one, and I doubt it will be the last.

I sentence you to Cadbury Bars!
Hmmm... yum... maybe I should commit some heresy too!

*walks into a bar in Cadbury*

Hmm...that wasn't me. Have I been comawalking again?

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:05 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Welcome to the Time Foundation Data Analysis Department as newly appointed OTT Grapher, Level 1!
Now we just need to form a secret a TF Security department to do this type of work and find out which of us posters might actually be molpies,

1. Have you filled the required paperwork?
2. Awesome post. I need to remember to hire you if I ever open a data analysis/processing firm.
3. Don't we have HAL to do that work for us already? You don't need no stinkin' metadata if you can hear and see everything.
Selecting new quote…

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:08 am UTC

A hedgemolpy! Wait, has AnotherKevin gone into the OTC!?
Kieryn wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
mscha wrote:I wonder what Cuegan will do when they really reach the mountains, and the slopes become a lot steeper.
In our universe, we might use hairpin turns, but that's tricky if you have to walk through 2-and-a-bit-D frames.

In many places the default path up a steep mountain is, indeed, a series of switchbacks. In the American West this seems to be true. However, in Maine and other parts of the Northeastern US (at least) the joke is that a "Maine Switchback" exactly follows the fall line. I.e. straight up the mountain. So, perhaps a Madagascar Switchback is similar. I've carried a pack up and down quite a lot of those.

I used to climb a lot in the Scottish highlands back in my youth. Mountains extend along narrow valleys giving steep slopes up to sharp ridges. Typically you would ascend by following a ridge, which would generally follow a fairly straight path.

Kinda ninja'd you on that one ;) (I live in the lake district and hike regularly, so also very used to this kind of thing)
yappobiscuits wrote:boring serious prediction: They could be going up along a ridge. No need for switchbacks there.

Kieryn wrote:Yeah, if you aren't young, fit or used to climbing, it can get tiring pretty quickly. I often found there were a few phases I'd go through:

1) Oh this is easy
2) Ooh it's a bit further than I thought. Legs are aching a bit.
3) OOOOOH my bleeding legs. I GIVE UP! Can we go back now?
4) Hmmm, can't really feel my legs now, but hey they seem to be working just fine. Guess I'll just go with it.
5) Starting to pant a bit
6) Yay, got to the top! Why do my legs hurt more when I'm sitting down???
7) Okay getting dark, probably ought to get back to camp, but I don't think my legs will work.
8) Oww Oww Oww Oww Oww

For me it's usually:
1) Alrighty, off I go, full of energy!
2) (When things start to go uphill) Oof, it does get hard quickly *pants*
3) *slowly trudging and panting* Can I just sit down and stay here forever instead?
4) (Later on when I've been climbing a while) Oh, I'm getting used to it now!
5) Alrighty, off I go, full of energy!
6) (By the end) I'm aching all over but I don't care!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:10 am UTC

ONGRAINED...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:19 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I'm not convinced that's a molpypine; to me it looks more like an armadilpy (although there's no sign of a tail).

I don't know, it looks pretty hedgehogish, possibly a hedgehog of this caliber.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:26 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
The heck does molpypine mean, anyway? I could see a possible armadillo, but one doesn't usually find those up in the mountains. Right? Right?

Honestly, enhanced it just looks like a ridiculously cute pig. A lady pig, tho.

Ladymolpy.

Molpypine means OTC porcupine! Pretty sure you're right about armadillos and mountains, and I do know they're New World animals. (Did you know that humans can contract leprosy from armadillos? Awful, I know, but how cool is that?!)

If the critter didn't look so spiky I'd be leaning toward hyrax again; didn't think to look up the whole set before. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyrax

ETA Looks like there might be 2 more just up-slope, one the same size as the original and one smaller
Last edited by BlueCrab on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:28 am UTC

jjjdavidson: Pretty awesome datamunching display! I wonder how easy it would be to let the color be a function of time, and display a moving average of regularity. It would essentially be a the individual user's graph, mooshed over, and rendered in color instead of in height.

AluisioASG wrote:Don't even suggest it. I don't want to rewrite TLTW all over again...
Well, you could write TSTLTW. :) I've been enjoying your recent installments, btw, and am looking forward to more!

Kieryn wrote:Now we just need to form a secret a TF Security department to do this type of work and find out which of us posters might actually be molpies...
Very impressive work Also quite awesomeful!

@ChronosDragon: Thanks for the link - saved for later perusali. Whatever the number is (and it has to be something1, right?) I wonder what else it is.

Jose
1Well, it could also be indeterminate - one of those finite numbers that it's impossible to find even though it certainly exists within a certain range.2
2Now that's an imaginary number! (and so are the next two footnotes)
The Second-to-last Timewaiter
iPerused. As Spock would say.... "Fascinating".
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:00 am UTC

MYNAMEISONGJUSTONG

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:04 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

So it has come to this.

Indeed.

I foresee BlitzGirl and Buffygirl doing what all good comic book heroes and heroines do when they notice they're fighting each other: they take a step back, realize they've been set up by a villain (now who might that be in this scenario?) and team up to turn the tables on that person!
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:23 am UTC

Good point, Ebonite. AluisioASG, you need to write yourself into your story so we can cause tragic consequences to happen to you.

ergman wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:But how could I continue being LaPetite when I never was LaPetite? My denials were nothing more than statements of the truth!

Who taught you how to deny?
That was some good denying there.

I don't know what you're talking about.

That chartamajig is really 3, jjjdavidson!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:29 am UTC

Blind-posting from a few pages back:
lmjb1964 wrote:So, in just a couple of pages I had already racked up all these quotes, and thought, OK, I'll just have to start reading without responding, or I'll NEVER ketchup. Then I saw this, from kenmelken:
Spoiler:
kenmelken wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Ahh, my cover has been blown! Yes, I work for a top-secret branch of the CIA called Raptor And Zombie Observation and Relocation (RAZOR). Our motto is "Keeping the world safe from zombies, should we ever find any, and raptors, even though they aren't usually dangerous to humans." It's a terrible motto. I'm not sure who came up with it. Yes, it's a dangerous job, but someone has to do it.

So, uh, I made this official seal for RAZOR... and now looking at it I realize that it's so awesome I'd like to know how to join! :P

If I wasn't at work with a grumpy boss when I saw this, I would have been jumping up and down and squealing like a little girl. You got the motto! And my number! And amazing graphics! Just...WOW!!!

Unfortunately, as for how you can join--well, it's a tough agency to join since it doesn't really exist. *wink wink* Kinda like the Temporal Illuminati that way.

:D Oh, my dear Laura Mae June Bug, I am so glad you are catching up. And I shall find a way to join RAZOR...
By the way, nothing has tempted me to jump into the fray of OTT fiction-writing as much as a spin-off serial regarding agent 1964's adventures as an agent of RAZOR. But alas, my Time is starting to grow scarcer, so I think it unprobable that it will become a reality. =/

And now, to ketchup 3 NPs...
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:45 am UTC

Where's mscha? Must be a-coma, he'll be sad to have missed such a big molpy:

Spoiler:
BigMolpy.gif
For now I'm going to call it a rockmolpy, but I agree that it looks somewhat piggish. I actually wish it were a chevrotain (just because those are cool critters), but the silhouette is all wrong for that.

ETA: Right now I'm with those who mentioned above (ergman and BlueCrab, I believe) that it might be an African hedgehog, which has a range that overlaps that of the Calabar python.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:45 am UTC

spamjam wrote:MYNAMEISONGJUSTONG
Spoiler:

Does anyone else see a beak?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-beaked_echidna

Edit, nah, Blitzgirl's zoom shows it's just a blade of grass, and it wasn't there before.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:05 am UTC

ITSONGTIME

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:13 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Fun fact: recently proven, as the number of newpix increases to infinity, there will never be more than 70 million newpix between prime frames.

And later:
ChronosDragon wrote:Here's a link. Yitang Zhang was the genius who proved it, and quite recently - only a couple months ago. As for the number, well, it could actually be less than that - 70 million is just a byproduct of the mathematical sieve he used to calculate it.

Whoa... hadn't yet heard that. Mind = blown
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

ronaldkr

Postby ronaldkr » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:18 am UTC

Kieryn,

BOO! How could you stash this marvel of an essay like this (additionally buried under a lenghty quote)?
Kieryn wrote:Now we just need to form a secret a TF Security department to do this type of work and find out which of us posters might actually be molpies,

Obviously, Using Metadata to Find Paul Revere was enough to get a long-time lurker -- I posted last at the time of the Fading -- from behind the oven (or rather from under the wide-open window). It's super-topical. Not only for the current US.

WOW.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:29 am UTC

You won't fool the NSA using small fonts.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:29 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:I like!
Welcome to the Time Foundation Data Analysis Department as newly appointed OTT Grapher, Level 1!

You can exclude me from that search. I am no molpy.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:00 am UTC

ONG along the porcupONG-molpy

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:08 am UTC

Wow, I skimmed through the past few pages and seemed to have missed quite a bit of discussion. What is this investigation?

Boulders! What roundish animals like to hide near boulders? This looks like a turtle, but it can't be. Maybe a hedgehog?
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:18 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Now we just need to form a secret a TF Security department to do this type of work and find out which of us posters might actually be molpies,

These aren't the molpies you're looking for...
Go Minim go!

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:19 am UTC

I'm throwing my hat in the ring to join those who earlier proposed the new molpy to be a Rock hyrax. Seems like a great fit to me, and they are common throughout many parts of Africa.

Now, I coma.

Eternal Density

Molpy Molpy Molpy Molpy Molpy Molpy Molpy Molpy Molpy Grapev

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:23 am UTC

I ketchuped and I even read the tinymorserot13text! I don't have much to say beyond well done on the awesome songs and images that have been produced over the last hundred or so newpix. (I started ketching up a bit over 30 newpix ago after over 80 newpix away but Outside has been busy.)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:30 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:If the critter didn't look so spiky I'd be leaning toward hyrax again; didn't think to look up the whole set before. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyrax

I like that hypothesis... Hyrax (locally known as Dassie - with the 'a' pronounced like 'us') do tend to bask on rocks like that, running away at the merest hint of anything. They are also the closest genetic relatives to Elephants. Can we expect some Elemolps in Time to come?
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:39 am UTC

I'm pretty sure the closest genetic relatives to elephants are other elephants.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”