Get your Autumn on

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sprocket
Seymour

Get your Autumn on

Postby Sprocket » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:59 pm UTC

Hey,

So it's time for turning leaves, returning to school, Halloween and thanksgiving. Also apple, pumpkins and freakin' cider donuts. Post your Autumnal doings and thinkings here!

I am looking for the best cider donut in Massachusettes. The ones I had last year were just flimsy batter dropped in oil jobs (not to say they don't have their place, Solarchem. But this year I want a hearty, cake, real Cider Donut!

Well I talked to Meaux and she wanted to go apple picking at russel orchards. After I complained about Cider Hill's donuts, she said maybe we should take a trip to Russel, despite their apple season being over. I googled simply "cider donut fried cake" with no quotes. This was the second hit
http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/ ... n_october/
So way to go Meaux.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

ChocloManx

Re: Get your Autumn on

Postby ChocloManx » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:19 pm UTC

It's spring here, allergies go!
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:25 pm UTC

And for the environmentally conscious doughnut fan, Russell Orchards fries its doughnuts in oil that is changed weekly and turned into bio-diesel fuel to power the farm's tractors.

Holy crap. Ladies and gentlemen, I am in full-blown love with an orchard.

Why isn't Boston closer??!?!?!??! *cries*
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:29 pm UTC

Cuz you're in DE....great...we're in DE....
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:37 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:Cuz you're in DE....great...we're in DE....

Wayne's World?

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:42 pm UTC

yup.

I'm looking forward to pumpkin carving, though doing it at a party like i did last year, tension will be high again. I like to just do it alone, no pressure to get an idea so someone else can use your tools, and no pressure to make something as cool as the next guys.

Sadly I don't see a costume in my future, or any halloween activities. I hope that's not true. :-(

I'm 26, and since moving here in 2004 I've been home for thanksgiving exactly 0 times. I suppose I have to this year or they'll forget who I am? Who else doesn't go home for thanksgiving? My sisters don't want to be there, so I see no reason to go either.

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:38 pm UTC

I look forward to the apple cider, always the apple cider. But these donuts intrigue me.

I haven't been home for thanksgiving for the past 4 years. But that's because 'home' is out in the middle of the Pacific ocean about 8000-ish miles away. Instead I've been to Thanksgiving with a bunch of people. My godparents who live out here, my girlfriend's family, and with my sister and cousin who are out here for college.
This space intentionally left blank.

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:42 pm UTC

my family makes applebutter, bitches!
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

Time to take up knitting that scarf I've been working on for 2 years now!
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:49 pm UTC

speaking of yarn crafts, i've got a scarf-of-evil to finish, i'm still wrestling through second sock syndrome with a leg warmer and i need some arm warmers to match. *busts out crochet hook* MWAHAHAHAHA I CAN CROCHET RIBBING!!! *just learned*

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

Nothing planned yet really, except a trip to my local gamble-by-the-seaside establishment next weekend. Not really autumnal since it'll either be drizzly, cloudy, grey and wet or bright and sunny. Such is the way of Blighty.

I'm also planning to retroactively recycle (try saying that ten times fast) my Pretend To Be A time Traveler Day outfit to function as trick-or-treating gear. Except I'll bloodstain a shirt and put a (fake) ballistic vest over it and claim I'm a survivor from a zombie apocalypse. Still, it'll be fun to see people's reactions to a large katana slung over my back. I can see it now: A burly teenager wearing ripped and shredded jeans, a blood-stained shirt, a ripped jacket and a big metal face-mask with a sword over his back demanding confectionery goodness. So much for a clean criminal record.

Oh, and if that isn't enough shiftyness for you, my friend is dressing up as a girl ("Imma be a HOT girl!"), along with this 18 year-old guy from somewhere in England he met on the internet. He and his pseudo-girlfriend are also planning to stay in a youth hostel for the night with said English Guy. Almost sounds like a premise for a cheap-and-shitty horror film.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:22 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:I'm 26, and since moving here in 2004 I've been home for thanksgiving exactly 0 times. I suppose I have to this year or they'll forget who I am? Who else doesn't go home for thanksgiving? My sisters don't want to be there, so I see no reason to go either.

There was one year I didn't do Thanksgiving. Was back in 2002, when I had moved into my apartment with my roommate, and my parents had moved way over to the other side of the fuckin' state. I asked roommate if I could join her and her parents. She said she would have to ask them. She called me up about an hour before they began to eat and said come on over.

In 2004, Thanksgiving almost wasn't. I was in the process of moving to said other side of the fuckin' state, when my mom announced that she was having a gastric bypass done a week before Thanksgiving. I told her there was no way in hell we were missing Thanksgiving. She had to go on a liquid diet a week before her surgery. I said we can have Thanksgiving two weeks before her surgery then. Sure enough, after I got a load of furniture and other stuff into the house, I went to my parents' house, who already had the turkey removed from the oven, and were working on the dressing and a couple of veggies. We had our meal, then I went to the house after a while to unpack some stuff and arrange what furniture I had already taken to the house.
PRG

An important message for you:

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:24 pm UTC

Time to get out the white pants!
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:33 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:I'm 26, and since moving here in 2004 I've been home for thanksgiving exactly 0 times. I suppose I have to this year or they'll forget who I am? Who else doesn't go home for thanksgiving? My sisters don't want to be there, so I see no reason to go either.

I don't do winter holidays, except for WinterEenMas. I'm estranged from my sister and up until recently my parents were trying to kill each other, so staying away is always the best idea.
I do, however, have a four day weekend for Thanksgiving, and the day after is my birthday. We should do something, if I don't go visit the boyfriend.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:41 pm UTC

Mom makes apple-anything, all our neighbours have trees in thier yards. Everyone's always screaming! Please take my apples before they rot! Applepork is one of my favorite dishes.
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

NinjaArcana

Postby NinjaArcana » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:51 pm UTC

Wow, Autumn in places where the climate changes sounds, interesting. Leaving in a tropical climate, nothing here changes during the seasons. Except for the massive amount of Box-Jellyfish that the Aussies love sending us, and the large swells from Antartica.

I wish I could see Oregon in fall and winter though.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:10 pm UTC

I take pictures of the pretty foliage around the pond near my house. (Resized for your viewing convenience, if you want the larger sizes for desktops or whatever, PM me.)

This one's my favorite. :)

And I lied; the last two are from a lake on route 30, but it was too pretty not to share.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:24 pm UTC

ARGH beautiful enviromentoneupmanship! where's my collection of photographs when i need them!?

EDIT; found this one of me, on photobucket.. I'll get more i promise you! (this is last autumn)

EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:02 am UTC

Good things about fall in Massachusetts: Free foliage.

Bad things about fall in Massachusetts: Weather gos from 80 to 50 (fahrenheit) in less than a day. And then back up. And then back down. Seriously, is the weather god for New England always drunk?

kcr

Postby kcr » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:46 am UTC

MY FAVORITE SEASON.

Perfect weather, the light in the morning just seems so much nicer than in the rest of the year, the leaves are great, it brings joy to my day to crunch on the leaves that have fallen... sadly fall always seems to be too short. And this fall has been way too freaking warm.
Oh well. I still enjoy it.

pi-3 orionis

Postby pi-3 orionis » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:17 am UTC

On Tuesdays and Thursdays when I have to wake up around surise for school, its magnificent the way the sun comes up over the cascade mountains. All pink and warm like. I'll have to see if I can get a good picture of Mt. Rainier tomarrow.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:57 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:

I don't do winter holidays, except for WinterEenMas. I'm estranged from my sister and up until recently my parents were trying to kill each other, so staying away is always the best idea.
I do, however, have a four day weekend for Thanksgiving, and the day after is my birthday. We should do something, if I don't go visit the boyfriend.

WORD! Foragiving? I can make potatoes, stuffing apple pie and sweet potatoes!

ThorFluff wrote:Mom makes apple-anything, all our neighbours have trees in thier yards. Everyone's always screaming! Please take my apples before they rot! Applepork is one of my favorite dishes.

Yeah this is the problem. Everyone i know is comming apple picking...therefore we all have to eat our own apple-products.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:38 pm UTC

The robot very much appears to want me to join him for Thanksgiving, and I certainly hope to do so, so unless I get roped into having our emergency pager I will be out of town. If the job needs me, then I will be in town, but surly. And everyone loves surly holidays!
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:44 pm UTC

I am not going home for Thanksgiving. This is the first time that I have not A) gone home, B) had my family come visit me, or C) had a boyfriend with whom to go home.

Not that I put much stock in celebrating Thanksgiving, but I'm kind of afraid this is going to be a rough one for the above reason.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Ptera

Postby Ptera » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:26 am UTC

I'm in the pacific northwest this year, which means a lot more evergreens and a lot fewer fall leaves. However, yesterday I was walking along a sidewalk next to some planted deciduous trees, and there were big red leaves ankle deep. I swooshed my way through them in a state of glee!

EDIT: Woo, 42nd post!

Ess

Postby Ess » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:54 am UTC

My plans are pretty much the same this year as they are every year:

Listen to the cassette tape that has "The Monster Mash" on it, watch the animated movie if it happens to be on, watch various horror movies, program the CD player to play the instrumental tracks on the House of 1,000 Corpses sound track and play that really loudly with the player facing out the window for the trick-or-treaters, dress up, hand out candy (actually this year, my mother bought a bunch of little baggies of pretzels, and that's what we're handing out. I fully encourage the egging and/or TPing of our house as to teach my mother that you do not hand out mother f*cking pretzels for Halloween)

Do nothing much for the majority of November

Have Thanksgiving, start decorating for Christmas the minute the family leaves/we get home, sabotage something so we have to go shopping on that Friday (my mother hates sales and won't go shopping the day after Thanksgiving unless absolutely unnecessary)

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:07 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I am not going home for Thanksgiving. <snip>

:( *bakes cookies for her* (Cookies make everyone feel better- you sound like you'll need some. Or some internet-sympathy, at least.)
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:19 am UTC

You guys are wiggity-wack: Thanksgiving has passed.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

mightymouse1584

Postby mightymouse1584 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:44 am UTC

I don't go back to wisconsin to see my rents anymore. To be honest, ive found that spending thanksgiving with friends can be just as much, if not more fun than spending the time with your family. Its fun to see everyone try and fail to bake something and then get blacked out an celebrate the day the pilgrims won America from the Indians in a game of football. go pilgrims!

Cai

Postby Cai » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:35 am UTC

Autumn is my favorite season. It is just the right temperature (usually, thanks global warming!) and the leave are falling and pretty and everything is just dandy.
Dreamers never live, only dream of it.
first.am

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:25 am UTC

Cai wrote:Autumn is my favorite season. It is just the right temperature (usually, thanks global warming!) and the leave are falling and pretty and everything is just dandy.

I prefer spring. I'm quite involved in photography, and while I find a certain beautiful glory in the autumn scenes, I much prefer the vibrancy of spring.
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:52 am UTC

Autumn is making me sad! What with the nice leafy things dying, and realizing if I stayed home instead of going to college, I wouldn't be seeing temperatures bellow the 50's (um... 10's?) untill the dead of winter.

I will be going home for thanksgiving tho'. That'll be nice.

reishka

Postby reishka » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:36 am UTC

bbctol wrote:Seriously, is the weather god for New England always drunk?

YES.

I'm really starting to enjoy the turning of the leaves... Growing up in Ohio I always got to see it, and then once I moved to Texas....

Don't get me wrong -- I love Texas. But everything goes from green to brown too quickly; there is no "fall"... It's "living" and then "dead".

So being in DC last year and New England this year has been wonderful. And most likely in a few years when i get married I'm going to insist on an Autumn wedding. An Autumn wedding in Central Park (hoping for Shakespeare's garden) would be *fabulous*.

That being said, I don't think I'll be going home for Thanksgiving, OR for Christmas. Getting time off for Christmas is going to be a bitch where I work, since it's a 24/7 server monitoring facility. Things don't stop breaking just because it's the holidays. That being said... I might try and get my mother and my younger brother to visit me if I have my apartment ready enough to receive them... Otherwise, I'll probably be spending my holidays with my Boy's family.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:12 am UTC

Strange, i thought that Americans called Autumn Fall.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

reishka

Postby reishka » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:46 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Strange, i thought that Americans called Autumn Fall.

We're taught both the words "Autumn" and "Fall" for the same season... it usually ends up being personal preference/home factors that influence us one way or the other.

I'm not sure if there's a regional preference...

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:02 pm UTC

Good topic. I quite like autumn, and am trying to stay positive going into winter, and the grey.

Cider donut sounds awesome! I'd like to try one.

Autumn to me involves sunny clear blue skies, and cold. My favourite weather. Pies and mash are good. Autumnal apples. And real ale (although I never actually stop drinking that for any kind of extended period).

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:08 pm UTC

Delalyra wrote:
PictureSarah wrote:I am not going home for Thanksgiving. <snip>

:( *bakes cookies for her* (Cookies make everyone feel better- you sound like you'll need some. Or some internet-sympathy, at least.)

Awww, thanks Delalyra. Cookies do make everyone feel better.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:35 pm UTC

I'm not going anywhere for T-day either. And I don't even have a lover to spend it with at the movies.

I think I'll spend the day painting, reading, and watching movies my family would disapprove of.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:39 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I am not going home for Thanksgiving. This is the first time that I have not A) gone home, B) had my family come visit me, or C) had a boyfriend with whom to go home.

Not that I put much stock in celebrating Thanksgiving, but I'm kind of afraid this is going to be a rough one for the above reason.

Let's do it! It'll be fun! You, me, anyone else we know who's a drift of thanksgiving. We can give thanks for not having to travel!

Ach-hem POST 2000!

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:13 pm UTC

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. You're not required to buy gifts for everyone you've ever met, it's not religious, and there's lots of good food. My take on Thanksgiving is that it's all about spending time with those you care about.

Last year, my then-best-friend Sheryl and I had a dinner at her apartment. Since most people go home for Thanksgiving, that left a lot of the international/exchange students on campus with nothing to do. Given that we were the President and Vice-President of the Asian Cultural Association, we decided to have a dinner for them.

It was the best Thanksgiving ever.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Return to “General”