1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TimeLurker

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby TimeLurker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:Wow, the present. I've made it back and I've missed so much.
I've missed the WOWterfall (jaw dropping, really), new molpies, and Cueball trying to quit on us. But most of all, I've missed my tribe.

Welcome back! :mrgreen: We have missed you as well!

Thanks. And to celebrate my return, how about a wrong prediction. Cueball will be unable to join Megan atop the rock and she will have to continue on alone until she can find something to help him up with (rope, stick, ladder, etc.).

Edit: Yay, my second Popedom. I decree that we shall fill this NewPage with our best worst predictions.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

I predict that it will come before the end of this newpage.
Okay so please no-one post anything else and just wait for it.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

I predict the OTC is just an extended commercial for the next Elon Musk venture.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

Packs ONG, packs off

The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

I predict that the molpies will all combine to form Molpytron, which Cuegan will have to fight using the power of SCIENCE!! and the rapidly rising sea.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:Packs ONG, packs off
Spoiler:

I predict that Megan will realize that the rock molpyx is patiently waiting for it them and proclaim that it is indeed, some species of Molpy, proving that GLR is indeed watching over the OTT.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Ray Kremer

Postby Ray Kremer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:sbn, I really hope The Enchanter (they call him...Tim?) doesn't see that lawnspiderbot!

Sorry, that reference is totally lost on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZJZK6rzjns&t=50s
though I don't see the connection from that to this.

BigDaddy

Postby BigDaddy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

I predict a bad molpy stew will result in the end of Cuegan who then wake up and it was all a dream.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

I predict that Cueball and Megan will spy the molpypine/hedgemolpy/tenrelpy (yeah, I gave up on armadilpy a while back; whatever it is, it's not smooth enough for an armadilpy). They'll follow it around for a while, and get lost, and not know how to get back down the mountain. This will cause the brains of everybody who makes panoramas to twist into knots through the eighth dimension, causing all their future image manipulations to somehow morph into the face of John Lithgow.

Ray Kremer wrote:
SBN wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:sbn, I really hope The Enchanter (they call him...Tim?) doesn't see that lawnspiderbot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZJZK6rzjns&t=50s
though I don't see the connection from that to this.

Is this perhaps BlueCrab's way of referring to a Significant Other with Overstuffed Garage Syndrome?
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

Additional prediction (I'm pope, so I can do that): Cuegan will know exactly what our new Molpy is and call it by species.
Megan:"Oh neat, it's a hedgehog."
Voice of the Silent

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

I predict that everyone reading the OTT, past, present, and future, will break into a spontaneous recreation of the Music man at approximately NP2099.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

I predict that the molpy will continue to mimic Megan's behaviour, which to my eye it has done for a few pix now as she climbs the rock.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

I predict they will build a hang glider out of the stuff up there and sail off down the mountain.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

thirds wrote:Rock hyraxes don't exist in Madagascar, so...

Perfectly acceptable for those of us me who think this is happening in Africa proper, not Madagascar. Image

Oh cute! BlitzGirl predicted they'd need to take their sacks off.. and they did!

I predict that the cute lil Rockmolpy will follow them for the rest of time.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

Two separate jokes, the Enchanter in Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail says they call him... Tim? which is my significant other's name. ‘Significant other’ is clumsy to write all the time and ‘husband’ is misleading so I refer to him as The Enchanter but that feels silly so I explain it once in a while except not very well especially when I'm tired, I guess. He would go crazy over the lawn-mowing spider bot you linked to.

Sorry about that :|

ETA: yep, jjjdavidson got It in one :wink:
Last edited by BlueCrab on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:I predict that everyone reading the OTT, past, present, and future, will break into a spontaneous recreation of the Music man at approximately NP2099.

I predict that it will be a steampunk version of the play, "Oh ho, the Wells Fargo airship is a-coming down the sky, oh please let it stop for me!" (I'm in a production of Music Man right now and was pondering the possibility of a steampunk revival just last night.)
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I predict that Cueball and Megan will spy the molpypine/hedgemolpy/tenrelpy (yeah, I gave up on armadilpy a while back; whatever it is, it's not smooth enough for an armadilpy). They'll follow it around for a while, and get lost, and not know how to get back down the mountain. This will cause the brains of everybody who makes panoramas to twist into knots through the eighth dimension, causing all their future image manipulations to somehow morph into the face of John Lithgow.

May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined.

I predict that Megan and Cueball will stop climbing, turn and face the audience, and perform a rousing rendition of a mashup of Boom de Yada and Molpy Molpy Grapevine, while doing the Molpy dance. At the end, they will bow and then answer Doctor Professor charlie_grumbles' math quiz correctly and earn a prize (TBD, natch) from Kenmelken.

ed for apostrophe near-catastrophe
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
SBN wrote:

Two separate jokes, the Enchanter in Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail says they call him... Tim? which is my significant other's name. ‘Significant other’ is clumsy to write all the time and ‘husband’ is misleading so I refer to him as The Enchanter but that feels silly so I explain it once in a while except not very well especially when I'm tired, I guess. He would go crazy over the lawn-mowing spider bot you linked to.

Sorry about that :|

No apology needed, but thanks for explaining. I do really want one, but still um, discussing it with my husband. If I get one I'll have to name it Spimolpy. I'm being told my yard is too big for it, but I can't tell if that's real or just upselling. I really want one that doesn't need a wire.

Oh, and, I predict Cuegan will encounter a bot of some kind, just to stay within sight of the topic.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

I predict that Smaug will appear.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:... because I like Nanny Ogg.

Me too. Therefore:

I predict Nanny herself will appear in the OTC, singing The Wizard's Staff Has A Knob On The End. and dancing with the moply-hedgehog
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

I predict that Cueball and Megan will fight the molpypine and the molpypine will lose. Then Rita will make the molpypine grow, forcing Cueball and Megan to morph their zords so they can effectively defeat it.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

prepar-ONG

And molpy is watching.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Jump Cueball. Jump!!
Voice of the Silent

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:I predict that it will come before the end of this newpage.
Okay so please no-one post anything else and just wait for it.

I predict that everybody will obey this request except newpixbot.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:I predict that the molpy will continue to mimic Megan's behaviour, which to my eye it has done for a few pix now as she climbs the rock.

Hm. It actually does appear to be mimicking Megan. Could someone, for I lack the skill, post an animated sequence so that we may see Megan's movements, as well as those of the rock molpyx, simultaneously?

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:I predict that Megan and Cueball will stop climbing, turn and face the audience, and perform a rousing rendition of a mashup of Boom de Yada and Molpy Molpy Grapevine, while doing the Molpy dance. At the end, they will bow and then answer Doctor Professor charlie_grumbles' math quiz correctly and earn a prize (TBD, natch) from Kenmelken.

Please no... my prize debt list is already burdened enough! :P

Now, for my prediction I will keep things rather tame, unlike all the SUPER OUT-THERE theories proposed thus far:

Upon reaching the top of the boulder, they'll finally notice the molpy. Megan won't be terrified of it, but she will be startled for a moment and jump into Cueball's arms. Gazing into his eyes she'll finally realize that what she has wanted this whole time isn't answers to the literal rising sea, but rather to the rising sea of her passion. Indeed, Cueball is all she's ever really wanted and he knows how to treat her the way she wants to be treated.

"Cueball, I think... I think I love you!" she exclaims before giving him a passionate kiss.

Just then, Cueball laughs, reaches into his bag, and pulls out a black hat.

MORE IN THE SPOILER:
Spoiler:
"You didn't think I was the real Cueball this whole time did you? I've been black-hat guy traveling incognito the entire Time! I fed Cueball to the people in the hills. And now you've fallen in love with me and I'm going to marry you."

Horrified at the realization of his long-wrought subterfuge and manipulation of her feelings, Megan leaps from his arms and pulls from her own bag a whistle.

"What is that? A rape whistle? Nobody is around to hear you."

"No, it's my raptor whistle," she responds.

She blows the whistle to summon a raptor army to come to her aid. They emerge from the nearby crevices and surround black-hat guy. Just as they are about to divide his flesh asunder, two helicopters arrive and an effective spread of tranquilizer darts quickly immobilizes the raptors.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING??!?!" shouts Megan, horrified at the ambush of her raptor friends.

A loudspeaker from the lead chopper responds, "This is the RAZOR division of the CIA. We're keeping the world safe from zombies, should we ever find any, and Raptors, even though they aren't usually dangerous to humans. Our radar showed a potential raptor threat and we were dispatched to take care of it."

Black-hat guy laughs at this stroke of good fortune until Megan shouts, "That guy is a zombie! Get him!"

Just then a stake is shot from the second chopper right through black-hat guy's heart. He falls to his knees, gasping in shock. He takes off his hat and says, "Megan! I really did love you. And I really was Cueball. I was only pretending to be black hat guy as an elaborate and delayed April Fool's day joke."

Megan is horrified at the loss at her hands of the only man she's ever loved, but she's not nearly as dramatic as Juliet, so she gets over it and continues up the Mountain with the rock molpyx.
Last edited by kenmelken on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:28 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

@kenmelken

Bravo! We can only hope that it will be just as you've fortold. Well, we can hope and
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Voice of the Silent

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

I predict:
Cueball wrote:Oh, look, a molpy!

Dracomax wrote:
ucim wrote:@Dracomax: I just got a chance to load up "Africa" to read through your filk - wonderful! I recognized the song from one of the lines, but could not remember enough of the song to give it proper attention. The original is a wonderful song too, one of my faves. Thanks for bringing it back to me.
@mscha: How is it a meta-filk? Is there a more original original?
edit: never mind. Duh!
Jose

Because it is based off of the song "Africa" and most people are speculating that the OTC takes place somewhere in Madagascar or Africa Proper.

Actually, I meant: it's a filk about filking, thus meta.

Edit:
Pokeymolpy animation update:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

Per Papal decree (please, no more popsicles!) I predict my prediction will not come true.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Montov

Postby Montov » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:Additional prediction (I'm pope, so I can do that): Cuegan will know exactly what our new Molpy is and call it by species.
Megan:"Oh neat, it's a hedgehog."

Cueball: "Yeah."

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:33 pm UTC

Additional prediction (I'm not pope and so I'm not allowed to do this, guess I'll have to await extradition from my hideaway for my due comfy chair application):
molpypine wrote:Hi
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

Watchers
Spoiler:

I wonder where xkcd is on that line.

A USA spokesman said that leaking this surveillance was bad because it showed "our enemies what we are capable of".

Don't forget, spooks, an enemy is just a friend you have fucked over.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Additional prediction (I'm not pope and so I'm not allowed to do this, guess I'll have to await extradition from my hideaway for my due comfy chair application):
molpypine wrote:Hi

You are due for the comfiest chair that can be found :twisted: . Unless your prediction comes true, in which case I will issue a formal appology for you being wrongfully pampared.
Voice of the Silent

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

BOULDERONG...
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

FACEROCK!
mscha wrote:Don't think I've seen the Other Comic posted yet...

OMR, it is all related!
Spoiler:

O_O So the secret council approve of the molpies! Excellent.
mscha wrote:
Eutychus wrote:Where has the molpy/grapevine video gone? :cry: Yappobiscuits!! What's happening??

It's still there. But it's hidden, so will not show in his list of videos or in search results. (Now how will it ever go viral? Image )

Fine, fine, quite a few folk have been persuading me to make it public so I've gone and done it. I just changed the description a bit to explain it to outsiders. Happy now everyone? :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

speising

Postby speising » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

i predict cueball will say "wow, a hedgehog" and a pix later, meagan will say "neat"

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:I predict that everyone reading the OTT, past, present, and future, will break into a spontaneous recreation of the Music man at approximately NP2099.

Funny you should mention that. I'm definitely doing my part to make that prediction come true. Last night before I coma'd, I notice that the number of filks listed in the wiki was up to 76. That gave me an obvious idea for my next filk, based on one of the best-known songs of The Music Man, "Seventy-Six Trombones."

Since then, there have been several more great filks posted in the thread, so the number is a bit off (and would have been set off by posting this one in any case), but nonetheless, here's:

Seventy-Six Song Filks

Seventy-six song filks in the One True Thread
With a hundred and ten manips close at hand
They were followed by tons and tons
Of the cheesiest of puns
And the double-est dactyls in the land

Spoiler:
With a hundred and ten haiku right behind
There were more than two thousand ONGs
With predictions that were wrong
There were charts of every shape and kind

There were animated gifs and outside heresies
Molpy hunts, serials, hats of every style
Back-in-Time sigcouragement and popes' decrees
Each decree making the Waiters smile

There were interactive maps and shrewd inquisitors
Punishing apostates in the Comfy Chair
Blitzers reading every bit
Of spoilers that read "Wait for it"
And off-topic topics everywhere!

With a hundred and ten neat cakes on display
For as long as the Waiters wait
They'll be driven to create
And they're waiting for it still today

Edited to mention the parodied song title explicitly.
Last edited by Rule110 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:

Funny you should mention that. I'm definitely doing my part to make that prediction come true. Last night before I coma'd, I notice that the number of filks listed in the wiki was up to 76. That gave me an obvious idea for my next filk, based on one of the best-known songs of The Music Man.

Since then, there have been several more great filks posted in the thread, so the number is a bit off (and would have been set off by posting this one in any case), but nonetheless, here's:

Seventy-Six Song Filks

With a hundred and ten manips close at hand
They were followed by tons and tons
Of the cheesiest of puns
And the double-est dactyls in the land

Spoiler:
With a hundred and ten haiku right behind
There were more than two thousand ONGs
With predictions that were wrong
There were charts of every shape and kind

There were animated gifs and outside heresies
Molpy hunts, serials, hats of every style
Back-in-Time sigcouragement and popes' decrees
Each decree making the Waiters smile

There were interactive maps and shrewd inquisitors
Punishing apostates in the Comfy Chair
Blitzers reading every bit
Of spoilers that read "Wait for it"
And off-topic topics everywhere!

With a hundred and ten neat cakes on display
For as long as the Waiters wait
They'll be driven to create
And they're waiting for it still today

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :!:

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Seventy-Six Song Filks

(But can you please mention what you're filking? Even if you're sure everybody knows it, we're a very diverse group, so half of us won't.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

akacat

Postby akacat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

As long as you're looking specifically for "76 Trombones", I'm on board. Otherwise sorry, that's the only one I (sort of) know the lyrics to.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”