1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

k.bookbinder

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:04 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
ttscp wrote:It's like an addiction this compulsion. Alcoholics Anonymous has a 20 question quiz to help you determine if you are addicted to alcohol. If you substitute the OTT or OTC for the word drinking in the quiz, I pass.

Oh man - I answered "Yes" to like 10 of those! :o

But if being addicted to the OTT is wrong, I don't wanna be right :3[/spoiler]

7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking at the OTT or reading the OTC?

I...I do not know if there is a right answer to this?

ETA: Oh! Um...um...Papal Decree...before I start evening lawn work. Uh, I decree that we should...

Start a pun war! That is it. The OTT has been devoid of puns for far too long. I decree that we should pun as much as possible on a single page. I shall return from my yard work in a few newpix. I expect results, people.

Carry on. :mrgreen:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:11 am UTC

Cuegan, why are you traumatizing small pokeymolps?

I would cuddle the little pokeyball (heh, heh) but I think that would just make it worse. For both of us.

ETA: I suppose pokeyball counts as a pun?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:14 am UTC

ucim wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Are you a professional writer, by any chance?

No, but I do write some. Thanks for the complement though! My latest is a musical tragedy. (whenever I write music, it's a tragedy!)

My ears bleed
And my eyes burn
Yet I don't know
How to go on

ucim wrote:Is that a miniature hourglass in the middle of it?

I think so.

ucim wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:does it spin? [(TV-tropes link removed for safety!)]

Does it ever! But Contact is not a Harry Potter movie. The thing in question that they build spins awesomely. Much science!

I was referring to the item my friend bought, which comes from one of the Harry Potter movies.
I've watched Contact. I know it spins (a lot). I wonder how does the capsule go inside it once it's spinning (if I recall correctly, it doesn't spin slowly enough).
Maybe I should read the book someday. I heard the ending is much more π-some.

And, for a reason I won't disclose right now, I want to reach Chapter 6 or 7 of The Last Time Waiter as soon as possible, so...
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:35 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote: I wonder how does the capsule go inside it once it's spinning (if I recall correctly, it doesn't spin slowly enough).
It is dropped through the spinning circles. Somehow it also alters time and space, in a way that nobody understands even though they built it. Sufficiently advanced technology and all...

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:41 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Journey's end? Who does Cueball think he is kidding? Perhaps it is just to suggest that their current journey on that particular path is over, and they once again change direction to avoid the obstacle. Though, it would be a simple matter to throw their packs up, and Megan can give Cueball a leg up over the boulder, he pulls her up, and they are on their merry way.

Not a good idea. If you want to scramble a section without your pack, tie a line to it and haul it up after you. That way, if you should not manage to get up, or (Randall forbid) fall, you still have your emergency supplies. You don't want to be at the base of a ledge that you can't climb, with all your stuff up on the ledge above you.

On the other hand, that ledge is low enough that Cueball could just hand the packs up to Megan once he gives her a boost. (EDIT: I was blindposting from one newpage before he did just that. :oops:)

k.bookbinder wrote:And yes, that is how I have always used leg up (as well as the generic idiom to mean advantage). Such as "Hey, Johnny. Hurry and give me a leg up over this wall, will yeah?" Also, I think the rock molpy is AnotherKevin. How come he gets to be in the OTC?

A porcupine is bigger than a rock molpy, usually. I suppose it could be a juvenile, but I'm not young any more.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:48 am UTC

Is it just me or does Randall vary the amount of in-comic time that elapses between newpix? In 2038 Cueball is taking a step, and in 2039 he is still taking that same step.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:51 am UTC

Not An Ong, a late prediction
Not The Title text: Yes you are! And you're sitting there! Hi, moply!

With apologies to Cat Proximity
Some difficulties with the lettering.

Spoiler:
z2037-molpy.png
z2037-molpy.png (8.36 KiB) Viewed 13855 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time" and Math

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:52 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:The following didn't come out quite as nicely as I hoped, but I offer it for discussion. I got a bit busy. <snip>

That's a very interesting and thought-provoking analysis.
There's certainly a lot of truth to it, I'd say, but I don't think it's always true. Take, for instance, that “70 million” conjecture that has been proven, which the maths community is apparently very excited about. According to the excellent video Kieryn posted a link to (thanks!), that was certainly not a new proof.

jovialbard wrote:I'm inspired to rant about math. This is what happens when my brain is tired and I don't particularly care if what I'm saying makes any sense. Well, at least I feel as though a release valve has been pulled.
Spoiler:
Prime numbers make me wonder if our definition of multiplication unnecessarily complicates reality. I mean if you were to consider an analogy for prime number in the frame of reference of addition the only prime would be one. One is the only thing that you can't subtract anything but itself and 0 from. But then numbers are defined by one, it's just all a bunch of ones mashed together. Multiplication on the other hand we do based on counting numbers but as a result we end up with this weird list of numbers that define the essence of multiplication, an infinite list of primes. Could a person devise a numeric system for multiplication with a single prime, like addition? I suppose you could and it would be exponential in nature and would turn out just to be addition, but that's also silly because you'd have to pick a base. I mean 1 is a natural base for counting. Is there any natural base for multiplication or would you just pick a random number that feels good. Then again the notion of number is based on addition and counting, so I suppose it shouldn't be surprising that an obvious base from that frame of thinking doesn't exist. We're mapping one realm onto the other... anyway, I guess that's where "e" comes in. It is called the natural log, the natural base, though I'm not sure I understand higher level numerology well enough to grok the meaning of that and whether it really captures what I'm ranting about. Which I'm sure, in the end, is utter nonsense.

I'm afraid* that won't work. Prime numbers aren't invented, they exist.
Say, we're having an OTT reunion in a few years. Valarya will bring cupcakes, of course. A baker's dozen, 13. She will only be able to distribute those fairly (without cutting them up) if there are either 13 people present, or if she's the only one there.
That's a prime number, no matter how you define multiplication.

*: that's a lie. Prime numbers are ⁴!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:00 am UTC

AttackONG...

Edit: a final pre-coma Pokeymation:
Pokey is definitely on the offensive.
Last edited by mscha on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Ray Kremer

Postby Ray Kremer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:02 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Your first statement is unquestionably true. However, the second would not be recognized by most mathematicians. There is a sub-field (applied math) for which this is true, but for most of us, math makes sense entirely on its own. I was surprised when told (several years later) that someone found a use for my thesis results.

Spoiler:
Early math and some current math was inspired by physical phenomena, but we have abstracted that away entirely. A theorem in math is (known to be) true if it can be proved from the axioms chosen at the beginning. QED. End of story. Otherwise it may be false, unknown, or even undeterminable (deep stuff there).

Physics, on the other hand, depends on verifiable and repeatable observations of the real world. A theory in physics is "accepted" if it conforms with observation and it leads to predictions of the real world that turn out to be verified in the observations. (Note that I didn't say "turns out to be true". It is more subtle than that.) Physical theories are never perfect. Newton's law of gravity was true as far as it was possible to make observations/measurements at that time. But certain things could not be predicted in Newton's laws, which led to a long search (and much failure) and eventually Einstein's relativity theory - a refinement of Newton. It lets us make more and better predictions that conform to the observable results of experiment.

Mathematics has theorems. Physics has theories. Not the same.
Mathematical theorems are true, false, unknown, or indeterminate. Physics has theories that conform to observation or they are either rejected or refined.

On the other hand, physics gives mathematicians something to abstract over and mathematics gives physicists tools to aid their observations (especially their measurements).

No disagreement there. I was merely trying to be brief before. In the face of a "what the hell is it all for, anyway?" type of comment it's quickest to just say that a lot of the more familiar types of math have direct applications in a lot of the more familiar sciences, and the more obscure math stuff has some direct applications in some of the more obscure fields of science, and the rest is math for its own sake.

Also, http://xkcd.com/435/
You could draw an arrow going the other direction and label it "bigger picture view". As in, biology is applied chemistry, yes, but it focuses on larger objects and mechanisms than chemists concern themselves with, oftentimes to the point where the inherent chemistry falls into the details that aren't important right now.

mscha wrote:I'm afraid* that won't work. Prime numbers aren't invented, they exist.
Say, we're having an OTT reunion in a few years. Valarya will bring cupcakes, of course. A baker's dozen, 13. She will only be able to distribute those fairly (without cutting them up) if there are either 13 people present, or if she's the only one there.

That was kind of part of my point, at least insofar as jovialbard's meandering rant goes. Prime numbers are only significant in manufactured situations. In most cases cutting is allowed or fair distribution isn't a concern. Prime numbers are only a thing if you're limiting yourself to integers, and there aren't that many situations outside the classroom where that's actually the case. Don't get me wrong, they're still cool, but it's not one of those things that pops out of real world observational science the way that, say, calculus or probability math does.

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:03 am UTC

There's also a stronger version of the twin prime conjecture, which hypothesizes that for every nonzero integer M, there is an infinite number of pairs of primes P and P+2M.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:05 am UTC

Ray Kremer wrote:Prime numbers are only significant in manufactured situations. In most cases cutting is allowed or fair distribution isn't a concern. Prime numbers are only a thing if you're limiting yourself to integers, and there aren't that many situations outside the classroom where that's actually the case. Don't get me wrong, they're still cool, but it's not one of those things that pops out of real world observational science the way that, say, calculus or probability math does.

Do you like your credit card number encrypted when you do your online shopping? I thought so. You have prime numbers to thank for that. Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:10 am UTC

ucim wrote:
ttscp wrote:And it is true of my desire to complete my literary analysis and analyze the OTC long term. In simple terms, I'm trying to predict when it will end, so I won't miss it.
I think the biggest clue is La Petite. Chekov's gun will be fired, at the right time. So far, the right time isn't even close. (That is, we are nowhere near a part of the story where La Petit's entrance and a final denouement would be satisfying.)

Randall will not waste this opportunity on something trite. There is much more to come.

Jose

I agree with you La Petite is important. She's the one element that continues to convince me that the OTC is story, rather than a long puzzle. The real convincing piece is her almost unnoticeable appearance during the fade. Interesting that the whole castle building era doesn't impact my feeling of plot that much. Pieces (Cueball's dream) do, but the sand castle itself, no.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:13 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
ttscp wrote:It's like an addiction this compulsion. Alcoholics Anonymous has a 20 question quiz to help you determine if you are addicted to alcohol. If you substitute the OTT or OTC for the word drinking in the quiz, I pass.

But if being addicted to the OTT is wrong, I don't wanna be right :3

7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking at the OTT or reading the OTC?

I would not consider the OTT, lower companions. We have a lot of higher intellects, here.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:14 am UTC

Ray Kremer wrote:That was kind of part of my point, at least insofar as jovialbard's meandering rant goes. Prime numbers are only significant in manufactured situations. In most cases cutting is allowed or fair distribution isn't a concern. Prime numbers are only a thing if you're limiting yourself to integers, and there aren't that many situations outside the classroom where that's actually the case. Don't get me wrong, they're still cool, but it's not one of those things that pops out of real world observational science the way that, say, calculus or probability math does.

Hmmm. Maybe not. Cicadas (different types) have 11, 13, and 17 year cycles. I did a quick search and learned a few things that might explain it. I'm sure you can find it and more.

I don't think anyone has discovered why Fibonacci numbers appear in nature like they seem to do.

Oh, and my research said something about primes are good for creating hashes. And here we are, waiting for the next hash.

Yes, Calculus and statistics have ubiquitous application, but don't discount the rest.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:15 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Ray Kremer wrote:Prime numbers are only significant in manufactured situations. In most cases cutting is allowed or fair distribution isn't a concern. Prime numbers are only a thing if you're limiting yourself to integers, and there aren't that many situations outside the classroom where that's actually the case. Don't get me wrong, they're still cool, but it's not one of those things that pops out of real world observational science the way that, say, calculus or probability math does.

Do you like your credit card number encrypted when you do your online shopping? I thought so. You have prime numbers to thank for that. Image

Also, quick pseudo-RNGs. Besides that and cryptography, though, the uses become more esoteric...

But anyway, they're fun to think about. That's the real reason anyone cares about them ;)

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:23 am UTC

Ray Kremer wrote:[snippety snippety] Prime numbers are only significant in manufactured situations. In most cases cutting is allowed or fair distribution isn't a concern. Prime numbers are only a thing if you're limiting yourself to integers, and there aren't that many situations outside the classroom where that's actually the case. Don't get me wrong, they're still cool, but it's not one of those things that pops out of real world observational science the way that, say, calculus or probability math does.

Cicada life cycles. A brood with a life cycle that's a prime number of years has a lower chance of colliding with predator life cycles. Different broods with cycle lengths that are relatively prime are less likely to be competing for food in any given year (they're also less likely to interbreed and produce a screwed-up life cycle). A given 13-year brood will only compete with a given 17-year brood every 221 years.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:25 am UTC

ttscp wrote:The real convincing piece is her almost unnoticeable appearance during the fade.
I'm sure Randall knew we'd notice. That's his MO.

jjjdavidson wrote: A brood with a life cycle that's a prime number of years has a lower chance of colliding with predator life cycles.
That's them pesky integers for you!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:28 am UTC

mscha wrote:I'm afraid* that won't work. Prime numbers aren't invented, they exist.

The parent in me feels compelled to point out that fair and even aren't the same thing.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:32 am UTC

SBN wrote:

The parent in me feels compelled to point out that fair and even aren't the same thing.

Okay, so if there's seven of us at the reunion, you'll get one, the rest of us will get two. Image

(Oh, wait, I went to coma half a newpix ago...)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:42 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Not An Ong, a late prediction
Spoiler:

Gneiss manip!
(What, are we not doing the pun thing?)
Also, I thought of another Pokémolp that might be related to our pokeymolp: Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:44 am UTC

mscha wrote:
SBN wrote:

Okay, so if there's seven of us at the reunion, you'll get one, the rest of us will get two. Image

(Oh, wait, I went to coma half a newpix ago...)

That's fair.
Incidentally, Nova is on now. There was a bit about having chimps choose which dish of candies to give to another chimp, and they always gave the other chimp the most candy, because they couldn't learn not to point to the fuller dish. But when they taught one to understand numerals, then it learned to point to the smaller number, and keep more candies for itself.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:48 am UTC

ttscp wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

But if being addicted to the OTT is wrong, I don't wanna be right :3

I would not consider the OTT, lower companions. We have a lot of higher intellects, here.

Are you sure about that? Have you read our pun wars? :wink: :lol:

And speaking of puns, I see that my Papal Decree calling for the need for puns cannot over power the awefulsome power of mathematics. So be it. Carry on. :mrgreen:

ETA:
@SBN Watching it now. I have seen this episode many times. I never tire of watching it :)

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:50 am UTC

This is becoming a very big chapter, so for now, I'll leave you with The Last Time Waiter, Chapter 3: Halcyon Days, Part 1

“Next stop: Government Center. Change here for the Green Line. Doors will open on the left. Thank you for not smoking.” — Frank Oglesby Jr.

Spoiler:
The Ambassador and the Party were inside some kind of magical, long carriage that ran on metallic roads and achieved speeds far greater than anything imaginable, apparently called ‘train’. Before departing a big hall underneath the forest, they were informed that their fallen and injured peers would travel to Halcyon through a ‘high priority track’ so they could get appropriate treatment there as soon as possible. They wanted to know how that thing worked, when did Halcyon build that ‘line’ and, more importantly, how did the Ambassador know they were there.

The Ambassador wrote:Your Archduchess sent us a message before you left your home. She told us how many you were and which means and routes you would use to travel, so it was easy to us to make predictions on your location. Unfortunately, we had a problem on the outbound track, so it took me a few more minutes to reach you.

The Ambassador wrote:You asked before about this machine. It's called a ‘train’. It's like a horse-powered carriage, but it uses another kind of energy to power itself up, and to move at the speeds you're perceiving. Here, let me show how it works.

The Ambassador made a few hand gestures, and a small, translucent representation of a train moving on its tracks. With a few more hand gestures, he set apart some regular blocks on the track and on the train.

The Ambassador wrote:These blocks, called ‘magnets’, interact with each other; they both force the train to levitate above the track, and propel it forward or backward, as required.

He took the Director's hand and place it in the location of one of the train's magnets.

The Ambassador wrote:Can you feel it?

Director Kieryn wrote:Yes. It's a very neat mechanism.

As the Ambassador shutdown the hologram, a voice that seemed to come from everywhere was heard:

The Voice of Frank Oglesby Jr. wrote:Entering Halcyon System. Prepare for track change. Thank you for taking the Y.

They felt a short uncomfortable vibration, and then the train started to slow down.

The Ambassador wrote:You said you wanted to see the Engineer of Eternity, right? Well, Mr. Münr's facility has its own station. I'll walk you there.

PS1: How unfortunate is for me, a train-lover, to have born on a country which scorns trains!
PS2: Trivia: The Northern Lights Integrated System, aka Y due to its lines' shape, links Halcyon, Arkhmud and Nublar. It's currently being expanded to the Southern Lands. Each city has its own subway system, and from Arkhmud you can take the Violet Line to… well, I'll just say there's a portal on that line :shock:
PS3:
ChronosDragon wrote:Ooh! Narrator is a dragon! :D

Wait for this:
Spoiler:

(his eyes remind me of this)
ChronosDragon wrote:you made a point of including such words as sclera to inform the reader that the narrator is scientifically informed,

Everyone in the Northern Lights is like this.
ChronosDragon wrote:and also probably not usually a dragon

They only see them in dreams ;)
PS4: coming Holiday 2013 8-)
Selecting new quote…

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:54 am UTC

GOTTA KETCHUM ALL
due to my lack of math expertise, I have very little to say here for the last few newpixies, though it is interesting to read.
and I'm loving the rapid bursts of TLTW!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:00 am UTC

POKEMONG
double post cause ong, and humor timing.
and it looks like the molpypine, having wound up sufficiently, is now springing into action!

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:01 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

Gneiss manip!
(What, are we not doing the pun thing?)
Also, I thought of another Pokémolp that might be related to our pokeymolp: Image

Thanks for the sedimentary comment!

I was starting to think no-one saw my meager offering.

And speaking of an un-replied-to-note: (I hope xes still around)
Someguy945 wrote:Is it just me or does Randall vary the amount of in-comic time that elapses between newpix? In 2038 Cueball is taking a step, and in 2039 he is still taking that same step.

No, you're not imagining things. The GLR does bend Time! and (probably) space to his will.
With no dialog, Cuegan make it across a "frame" in 3 to 5 newpix, and other Times, well Time almost stands still.

! Wait For It
Last edited by pelrigg on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:03 am UTC

ergman wrote:POKEMONG
and it looks like the molpypine, having wound up sufficiently, is now springing into action!

Rock molpyx go! Use tackle!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:08 am UTC

taixzo wrote:...Has anyone filked "Never gonna give you up" yet? :)
I'd been planning on surprising everyone with one (the idea occurred to me about 20 newpix ago) but now that you've put the idea in folks' minds, it kinda ruins the surprise.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:11 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
ergman wrote:POKEMONG

Rock molpyx go! Use tackle!

it's super defective!
use line instead!
(I'm Takele-ing this pun train on a few different tracks now)

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:19 am UTC

Here's the rest of The Last Time Waiter's Chapter 3; it turned out smaller than I had though:
Spoiler:
After a short ride on another train, the Party reached the Svithjod Station, located directly underneath the Fifth Research and Development Bureau, founded and headed by Mr. Raghnall Münr, the Engineer of Eternity. The Ambassador led them to the top level of the facility, from where it was possible to see the rest of the city.

Halcyon was unlike any other city anyone in the Party, with the exception of the Arch-Cardinal, had ever seen: the buildings, made of metal and glass, seemed to reach the sky; there were no signs of undomesticated molpies or raptors anywhere, yet there are plenty of trees and other plants; the city's walls involved the entire mountain on which it was based off. The Party was transfixed.

Halcyon was a City of Engineers; together with Nublar (the City of Artisans) and Arkhmud (the Gateway City), as well as some minor cities, it formed the Northern Lights, the greatest center of technological knowledge and advancement known. Such was their power that the Northern Lights could easily take control of the entirety of the known world, if they ever wanted to, and no one would be able to oppose them. Fortunately, the citizens of the Lights weren't of an expansive mentality; as long as you let them live in peace, they wouldn't burn you to death with a light amplifier.

A deep, high voice greeted them from behind:

The Engineer wrote:You're late.

And remembering: those who want to track the story's progress, as well as see the complete, properly organized chapters, may read the master copy.
Selecting new quote…

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:31 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:And speaking of an un-replied-to-note: (I hope xes still around)
Someguy945 wrote:Is it just me or does Randall vary the amount of in-comic time that elapses between newpix? In 2038 Cueball is taking a step, and in 2039 he is still taking that same step.

No, you're not imagining things. The GLR does bend Time! and (probably) space to his will.
With no dialog, Cuegan make it across a "frame" in 3 to 5 newpix, and other Times, well Time almost stands still.

:idea: What if there is some hidden significance to the amount of time between the newpix? Nah, probably not, because it's seemingly impossible for us to tell how big or small those time intervals are. We could only estimate.

But if GLR did something like small interval = 0, long interval = 1, and then sent us a message in binary that way, it would be pretty clever.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:32 am UTC

Spoiler:
z2037-molpy.png
:D

This reminds me, I posted a link to 2 Lumps earlier because it had a similar joke to this, but I'm pretty sure the url just goes to the 2 Lumps front page. Would someone please pm me to explain how to link specifically to today's comic, or just give me a url to edit into my post?

:oops: And would someone please explain again how to direct link to a post here? My post I'm referring to is dated Wed June 12 2013 10:33 UTC and the specific line is {Hey, 2Lumps is related, too!}
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Ray Kremer

Postby Ray Kremer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:35 am UTC

mscha wrote:Do you like your credit card number encrypted when you do your online shopping? I thought so. You have prime numbers to thank for that. Image

Ninja'd.
Ray Kremer wrote:As far as I know the major use of prime numbers is cryptography, which is just pure math trickses in action.

Cryptography also does not occur in nature, it's an entirely artificial construct.

charlie_grumbles wrote:Hmmm. Maybe not. Cicadas (different types) have 11, 13, and 17 year cycles. I did a quick search and learned a few things that might explain it. I'm sure you can find it and more.

Curious!

I don't think anyone has discovered why Fibonacci numbers appear in nature like they seem to do.

Like the golden ratio, it's a not terribly complicated thing that is useful in the formation of organic systems.

But there's some stuff out there in the deep deep pure math world that starts to go over my head within the first paragraph of the wikipedia article and I imagine is inscrutable to anyone who wasn't a math major in college. This kind of stuff, yeah there's probably some kind of real-world correlation somewhere, but it's very very obscure.

jjjdavidson wrote:Cicada life cycles. A brood with a life cycle that's a prime number of years has a lower chance of colliding with predator life cycles. Different broods with cycle lengths that are relatively prime are less likely to be competing for food in any given year (they're also less likely to interbreed and produce a screwed-up life cycle). A given 13-year brood will only compete with a given 17-year brood every 221 years.

Ah, so that's it. Although, the cycle of years is one significant case where restriction to integers actually is inherent to the system. So that fits.

I suppose math is a bit like time. Oh, we base the year, month, and day on the movement of our planet and moon, but hours, minutes, and seconds are arbitrary divisions. Leave Earth and even the day and year are arbitrary. Arbitrary time measurements don't mean anything to anything except people. Yet time and the passage of time is inherent in all things, the very fabric of the universe. Nature doesn't care about math, even though it functions in accordance with a great many mathematical principles. Math is just inherent in the system without anything paying it any attention. Making math into a thing that is codified with rules and theorems and number tricks, that's something people do.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:40 am UTC

Way back on NP 636, mscha wrote:
mathrec wrote:You don't have to solve them.

Sorry, no can do. If an interesting Sudoku (one that's nonstandard and requires some actual brain crunching instead of pretty much filling it in on autopilot) crosses my path, I can't help myself.

For mscha, anyone else who enjoyed mathrec's Sudoku puzzles, and anyone who just plain enjoys tormenting themselves with appalling pencil-and-paper puzzles, the 2013 U.S. Puzzle Championship is this Saturday, June 15. Despite the name, it's open to anyone in any country, but you have to register in advance. The registration page actually only began working today, or I'd have posted about it sooner─I was beginning to think the first puzzle was how to get registered.

The competition is to solve as many puzzles as you can in 2-1/2 hours, posting your answers to a web page. I entered for the first time in 2004, and I can pretty well guarantee you'll never see 150 minutes go by so fast. Even if you don't want to compete, just poke around on the website and you can find the puzzle booklets from previous years, a treasure trove of aggravating puzzles, including picture matches, crosswords, Sudoku variants, math problems, and puzzles of types I've never seen anywhere else.

It's a lot of fun (and might distract enough of us for long enough to give blitzers a chance to ketchup). If you're a puzzler, go take a look.

ETA:
BlueCrab wrote: :oops: And would someone please explain again how to direct link to a post here? My post I'm referring to is dated Wed June 12 2013 10:33 UTC and the specific line is {Hey, 2Lumps is related, too!}

At the top of the post, right beside where it says "by BlueCrab", there's a little "document" icon that provides a direct link to the post, not just the thread page. Right-click on that, copy the link location, and paste it into your current post.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:47 am UTC

Someguy945 wrote:But if GLR did something like small interval = 0, long interval = 1, and then sent us a message in binary that way, it would be pretty clever.
It would be in Morse code, in French, encoded in ROT13, and then hashed. It would probably take us all day to figure out.

BlueCrab wrote:...And would someone please explain again how to direct link to a post...?
The forums at 2Lumps are phpbb, just like these. If you are looking at a post, the title of the post itself is a link. Right-click and select "copy link location" (or whatever sounds like it will copy the actual URL it goes to), and put that link in URL tags.

open-square-bracket URL equal-sign
the actual URL (needs the http:// part also
close-square-bracket
the text you want highlighted and underlined as a link
open-square-bracket
forward-slash
URL
close-square-bracket.

If you want to link to an actual comic at 2lumps, go to the archive and pull the comic up from there. The link in the browser address bar when you are looking at the right comic should be the one to use. (It should be the same URL as in the date link you'd click to get there.) Surround it with URL tags the same way as above.

Jose

DavidRa

Postby DavidRa » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:56 am UTC

ucim wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:The Proclaimers? They're Scottish...
Yeah... one of the "ish" bands. :)

(hmmm... I wonder if there's a band called "ish")

Jose

From many pages in the past (I think I was 75 behind at one point) I throw this forward - not a band named ish, but an album "...ish" by 1927. I hope I have not been multi-NP-ninja'd.
Last edited by DavidRa on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:56 am UTC

ucim wrote:open-square-bracket URL equal-sign
the actual URL (needs the http:// part also
close-square-bracket
the text you want highlighted and underlined as a link
open-square-bracket
forward-slash
URL
close-square-bracket.

We need to go more enterprisey.

The Daily WTF wrote:BBCODE_OPEN_TAG_DELIMITER
BBCODE_URL_TAG_OPEN_NAME
EQUAL_SIGN
TARGET_URL_INCLUDING_PROTOCOL_HTTP_OR_HTTPS_FOR_SECURE_CONNECTION
BBCODE_CLOSE_TAG_DELIMITER
TARGET_URL_DESCRIPTION_STYLED
BBCODE_OPEN_TAG_DELIMITER
BBCODE_TAG_END_MARKER
BBCODE_URL_TAG_CLOSE_NAME
BBCODE_CLOSE_TAG_DELIMITER

(I hope you don't need to use XML...)
Last edited by AluisioASG on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:57 am UTC

Someguy945 wrote:
pelrigg wrote:And speaking of an un-replied-to-note: (I hope xes still around)

:idea: What if there is some hidden significance to the amount of time between the newpix? Nah, probably not, because it's seemingly impossible for us to tell how big or small those time intervals are. We could only estimate.

But if GLR did something like small interval = 0, long interval = 1, and then sent us a message in binary that way, it would be pretty clever.

I've been trying to articulate some stray thoughts to add to your binary code idea, and my train-o-thought keeps derailing. So just gonna say "Yeah That Would Be Neat."

BlueCrab wrote:
Spoiler:

z2037-molpy.png
:D

This reminds me, I posted a link to 2 Lumps earlier because it had a similar joke to this, but I'm pretty sure the url just goes to the 2 Lumps front page. Would someone please pm me to explain how to link specifically to today's comic, or just give me a url to edit into my post?

:oops: And would someone please explain again how to direct link to a post here? My post I'm referring to is dated Wed June 12 2013 10:33 UTC and the specific line is {Hey, 2Lumps is related, too!}

To get the Thread post url; I right click on the "Re: Time" header and select "Copy Shortcut" (IE, don't know the other secret wizard spells for other browsers). Then you can "Paste" that into your post. For example: the post of yours I quoted has this url: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=33320#p3380703

The Storm is Outside big time. I need to batten down the hatches.

Edit
ninja'd by ucim with a variation......
(Water blowing in the window distracted me.)
Last edited by pelrigg on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”