1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ergman

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Ray Kramer wrote:I suppose math is a bit like time. Oh, we base the year, month, and day on the movement of our planet and moon, but hours, minutes, and seconds are arbitrary divisions. Leave Earth and even the day and year are arbitrary. Arbitrary time measurements don't mean anything to anything except people. Yet time and the passage of time is inherent in all things, the very fabric of the universe. Nature doesn't care about math, even though it functions in accordance with a great many mathematical principles. Math is just inherent in the system without anything paying it any attention. Making math into a thing that is codified with rules and theorems and number trickses, that's something people do.

Mmm. Everything is relatedive. For example: every way we have of giving directions becomes arbitrary at a certain point. Left and right are relative to the direction you're looking, north south east and west are planet specific, as are up and down. Is there some universal three dimensional grid of dimensions that people use to chart space, or is that relative too at some point?
Edit: pope! I decree that everyone should carry along as usual because I can't think of anything interesting and am going to coma soon anyway. That's an order!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:04 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Olivia Ong
Spoiler:

- I Feel The Earth Move

They're both still moving toward it! Do they have no sense of self-preservation, or have they already recognized the molpypine as something harmless?
ergman wrote:Edit: pope! I decree that everyone should carry along as usual because I can't think of anything interesting and am going to coma soon anyway. That's an order!

Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time" and Math

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:23 am UTC

Ray Kremer wrote:
Ray Kremer wrote:As far as I know the major use of prime numbers is cryptography, which is just pure math trickses in action.

Cryptography also does not occur in nature, it's an entirely artificial construct.
Interestingly, while cryptography (i.e. hiding information in a form that only specifically limited agents are able to obtain it) doesn't exist in nature, coded information systems do exist throughout all life, to the point that they are a sign either of life or the products of living beings.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:28 am UTC

ergman wrote:
Ray Kramer wrote:I suppose math is a bit like time. Oh, we base the year, month, and day on the movement of our planet and moon, but hours, minutes, and seconds are arbitrary divisions. Leave Earth and even the day and year are arbitrary. Arbitrary time measurements don't mean anything to anything except people. Yet time and the passage of time is inherent in all things, the very fabric of the universe. Nature doesn't care about math, even though it functions in accordance with a great many mathematical principles. Math is just inherent in the system without anything paying it any attention. Making math into a thing that is codified with rules and theorems and number trickses, that's something people do.

Mmm. Everything is relatedive. For example: every way we have of giving directions becomes arbitrary at a certain point. Left and right are relative to the direction you're looking, north south east and west are planet specific, as are up and down. Is there some universal three dimensional grid of dimensions that people use to chart space, or is that relative too at some point?
Edit: pope! I decree that everyone should carry along as usual because I can't think of anything interesting and am going to coma soon anyway. That's an order!

Yeah, so cut out the abstraction and just say:

"Move towards the direction of the Sol system's third planet's positive pole 0.0000000000105772¤ times the distance a particle of light can travel in a vacuum over the duration of that planet's orbital period" next time you want to tell someone to go north 100 meters!

¤ Calculated using Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:29 am UTC

ttscp wrote:
ucim wrote:
ttscp wrote:And it is true of my desire to complete my literary analysis and analyze the OTC long term. In simple terms, I'm trying to predict when it will end, so I won't miss it.
I think the biggest clue is La Petite. Chekov's gun will be fired, at the right time. So far, the right time isn't even close. (That is, we are nowhere near a part of the story where La Petit's entrance and a final denouement would be satisfying.)

Randall will not waste this opportunity on something trite. There is much more to come.

Jose

I agree with you La Petite is important. She's the one element that continues to convince me that the OTC is story, rather than a long puzzle. The real convincing piece is her almost unnoticeable appearance during the fade. Interesting that the whole castle building era doesn't impact my feeling of plot that much. Pieces (Cueball's dream) do, but the sand castle itself, no.

I think another unfired Chekov's gun are the "Others"A. We've been shown too much of their existence not to pay it off in some way. (Major interplay with themB; finding heaps of dead bodiesC; somethingD.)

A That seems to be the general name for these unknown folks, right?I'm still pushing for "Campfire People".
B Akin to Ayla and Jondalar on their Journeys.
C Maybe not so "300"-ish.
D Someone said something about Randall taking us where HE wants to take us.

Edit to Add:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Yeah, so cut out the abstraction and just say:

"Move towards the direction of the Sol system's third planet's positive pole 0.0000000000105772¤ times the distance a particle of light can travel in a vacuum over the duration of that planet's orbital period" next time you want to tell someone to go north 100 meters!

¤ Calculated using Image

Which only works if you're going towards magnetic north, and not true north, for which you'd have to come up with something about the rotational axis. Right?
:twisted: :D :wink:
Last edited by pelrigg on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:29 am UTC

Last thing before I coma: The Last Time Waiter, Chapter 4: The Engineer.

“Do I really look like a guy with a plan?” — The Joker
Spoiler:
The interior of the facility seemed to be endless. The Archduchess and the Engineer led the way, having a very animated conversation; a couple meters apart from them, the rest of the Party followed.

They were now crossing a large and very lengthy glass corridor situated above the ground floor, from which was possible to see everything. Small flying robots went to and fro around them, making buzzing noises and emitting various colors. On the ground, whiteboards, bookshelves and industrial equipment filled the space in well-organized lines. At the far end of the hallway, it was possible to see a bright, blue light emanating from some big device.

The Arch-Cardinal was feeling slightly uncomfortable being out of the discussion, so she quickened her pace so she could hear the two ahead of her.

The Engineer wrote:…simplicity is the key to endurance. The less components, the less points of failure a device has, combined with an appropriate design and assembly process and specifically-crafted materials, the longer a device is able to function without requiring any kind of maintenance. Speaking of which, we are currently researching self-repairing systems; the biggest problem, of course, is: who maintains the self-maintenance systems?

The Archduchess wrote:From your description, I believe such a system would be essential for our project.

The Engineer wrote:Indeed it would be. It will require levels of reliability never before attained.

The Engineer stopped on his tracks, as if trying to remember something. Then he turned to the Archduchess.

The Engineer wrote:And we are honored on being offered such an important enterprise. And we'll be glad to accept it.

The Archduchess broadened her usual smile.

The Archduchess wrote:It's very good to hear that, Mr. Münr.

The Engineer wrote:You must be aware that, as we don't have all required technology yet, I can't promise you a delivery date. It may take a few years.

The Archduchess wrote:Better than never. We can wait for it.

The Engineer wrote:Very well then.

The Engineer then touched a strange device on his right ear, which made his voice be heard in the whole facility.

The Engineer wrote:Attention all personnel: rescheduling meeting in two one echo minus three.

The Engineer wrote:First of all, these are Tèrag and Angus, future engineers being trained on the Fifth Bureau under my supervision. Angus has been here for a few months already; Tèrag has just arrived last week. You both, these folks came from the South with a very interesting project for us.

The Engineer then turned to the crowd.

The Engineer wrote:I've called all of you here because, effective immediately, we are going to redirect all our efforts to a new project, dubbed Mar Mojot. Mar Mojot's objective is to develop a fully autonomous, human-like intelligence, capable of self-diagnostic and self-repair, as well as a equally maintainable support body. The expected lifetime for project Mar Mojot is, well… as long as we can make it.

Tèrag, a young, red haired woman, got closer to the Engineer, with a questioning look.

Tèrag wrote:This will require research on areas we never ventured into, and we have so many good projects going on already… I don't know if it's worth the risk.

The Engineer wrote:You will never see the light if you refuse to leave shade, my dear. We could, yes, refuse this proposal, but I'm not called the Engineer of Eternity without reason. They need me. They need us.

Tèrag lowered her head, disappointment and sadness irradiating from her eyes.[/quote]

The Engineer wrote:I know how important your plans are to you. And I promise you, we'll find a way to keep them on track.

Tèrag wrote:Thank you.

The Engineer wrote:With this solved, does anyone have any other objections?

The silence was terrifying.

The Engineer wrote:I'll take that as a no. Essential personnel, to the planning room. All the others are dismissed.

Mr. Münr gave the Archduchess an affirmative glance, after which she turned to her peers. She was smiling as never before.

I'm sorry, ucim. I'm too tired to converting all these dialogues into a more prosaic form. And I really want to get the next chapters out.

Oh, and soundtrack for the Archduchess.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:46 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:I'm sorry, ucim. I'm too tired to converting all these dialogues into a more prosaic form. And I really want to get the next chapters out.
No need to apologize - I'm not issuing papal decrees here! Actually I think this part of the story works pretty well as dialogue. Mixing it up, as you have done, makes for a nice variety in tone befitting the mood of each of the chapters.

I've been enjoying the story's development, and many of the other Timewaiters have also. I look forward to more stories from you! :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:01 am UTC

ONGBYONG

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:16 am UTC

Yay, my nonsensical rant provoked disucssion!

Time to coma!

ETA: Get'em in the ankles molpy!
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:21 am UTC

spamjam wrote:ONGBYONG

The molpy seems to have slowed time down to a crawl, via latent psychic abilities.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:25 am UTC

What an odd little kamekaze pokeymolp. If the rolling attack were deliberate, I'd suspect this fellow to be a relation of Sonic's. But I think it was probably an accident.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:27 am UTC

ergman wrote:
spamjam wrote:ONGBYONG

The molpy seems to have slowed time down to a crawl, via latent psychic abilities.

Latent? Given I should say they're quite active, look how it's telepathically controlling Cuegan, getting them to come to its lair - I assure you, this molpy is quite in control of its powerful psychic abilities.

It's physical abilities though - no so much. It seems almost clumsy in the physical realm.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:27 am UTC

Molpy used ROLLOUT!
Molpy's attack missed!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:28 am UTC

You can do it rock molpyx! Use...um...roll bouncy tackle? Hm. Well, keep it up, whatever it is you're doing there.

Alas, I shall have to find out what happens next in the morning. I have over taxed my brain, for I am neither programmer nor mathematician, and trying to learn both at once is hard. So I bid you all a wonderful nix (or dix if you're not in this part of the world). Coma well, and to the rest, keep the faith and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
*YAWN*
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:31 am UTC

So, it has come to this.

Here at the beginning of the 81st midnight since the Beginning Of Time, let us remember that Phileas Fogg and Passepartout went around the world in only 80 days.
The story is the world was flooded for 40 days, so this twice that.
The Moon has been through it's phases twice completely and is working on it's third lunation.
This is the 9 x 9th day.
That we, the Waiters of Time, have seen birthdays, weddings, moves, new pets, and even new little Waiters; occurring in our midst.
And we have seen the evolution of this art-form we call the OTT.

A tip of the hat to all past, present and future.

Cake, ice cream, pizza, lemonade, beer, and confetti......

Mostly, and always we:
Wait For It

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:49 am UTC

If rockymolp was attempting an attack... Cuegan doesn't look too impressed by it. They're still strolling toward it casually, watching it roly-poly blunder in to the boulder.

Prediction:
- Cueball says he's never seen one before (in which case he should have been a tad more hesitant around it)
- Megan talks to the molpy & tells it they won't hurt it.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

trolleypup

Postby trolleypup » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:55 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Molpy used ROLLOUT!
Molpy's attack missed!

Nah, Cuegan rolled a natural 20 to save. Nat that they needed it against Molpy's dexterity of 6.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:58 am UTC

Megan will probably ask it something like, "Are you okay?"

80 xips gone, huh?
7!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:59 am UTC

Valarya wrote:If rockymolp was attempting an attack... Cuegan doesn't look too impressed by it. They're still strolling toward it casually, watching it roly-poly blunder in to the boulder.

Prediction:
- Cueball says he's never seen one before (in which case he should have been a tad more hesitant around it)
- Megan talks to the molpy & tells it they won't hurt it.

I'd like to add my prediction: Megan describes the molpy as 'neat'.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:03 am UTC

TelONGkensis

ComONG time...

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:27 am UTC

If the molpy had been as close to the edge of the outcropping as the snake was, (about where their bags are now) I wonder if Megan would have been as startled as Cueball was.
If I looked over the top of something I was climbing up and suddenly found myself face-to-face with any kind of molpy I'd probably jerk back too. Especially if it was a snake. It doesn't make you phobic if you're trying not to get bit.

Hopefully, they'll try the same "gentle" approach here that Megan used with the squirpy.

ETA
Yes, it's getting comaville time for me too. I know newpixbot will keep the Newpix coming, but it would be nice if there were people who could keep the fires hot. I noticed a couple of Registered folks down below, but they're at Zero Posts right now so they'd go to Mod-queue. But New Posters are ALWAYS welcome, so add your voice, you will be heard.
P.S. just noticed spamjam and foilman on the list. Throw another log on, okay? I've gotta be like a ghost, a sleepy ghost.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:01 am UTC

LOGONG
Something's gotta happen soon. So I'll wait for it.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:07 am UTC

If only they brought some of that wood they found earlier, they could've eaten something besides berries :P

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:18 am UTC

Wood? But that's not very tasty...

...oh. Oh no. Not the pokeymolp! Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:34 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Wood? But that's not very tasty...

...oh. Oh no. Not the pokeymolp! Image

Shuss BlitzGirl. Pokeymolps aren't tasty, and prickly to boot. They'll find some taters to cook on a campfire soon.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:34 am UTC

AnotherKevin wrote:A porcupine is bigger than a rock molpy, usually. I suppose it could be a juvenile, but I'm not young any more.

Having seen them all ® I rule out porcupines. They don't roll up for defence, they raise their quills. While mimicking a bowls seems to be fit for defensive onlybaseball, porcupines can use their pointy ends (they have a lot of them) in aggressive mode, too. Of course, they don't charge head-first, but sideways. It looks funny... up to the moment, the quills reach your skin. Ouch. So, no molpypines, I guess.

Rolling up is something e.g. for armadillos, at least for a couple of subspecies (I had to look up this in WP ("Tolypeutes")). Molpillos of this kind are to be seen in South America. Or maybe in a Zoo. Size and behaviour would match, however the current estimate of location and climate suggests otherwise.

Best guess is, as already has been stressed, the hedgehog. Pretty common animals, can be very noisy at night, look cute ([prediction]Cuegan is to say "Cute!" and "We scared it."[/prediction]). Rolling up is there last line of defense. Unfortunately, it does not seem to have any effect on cars.

baseballImagine. No, don't.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:48 am UTC

Wow. I just ketched up the last few pages and all I can say is... holy math-pocalypse!

I take full responsibility. I started it with my revamped PrimeTime, which led to mscha's Fibonacci Time, then we discussed Collatz Conjecture and ChronosDragon chimed in with that article on prime pairs. And I guess that was enough to prime the pump for an outpouring of math discussion.

Don't get me wrong, it was very fascinating. But I certainly never expected all that to come from my little gif. :P
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:00 am UTC

Oh, look, it is a hedgehongdon't add water!

don't add waterHowever 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 (pick the right one) the sea is, this is not a sea urchin
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:00 am UTC

Stance of self-protectiONG
Spoiler:

EDIT: Ninja'd, admittedly preventing a double post.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

DavidRa

Postby DavidRa » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:06 am UTC

Hark fellow Time Tribespeople, for the New OtherComic has now been posted. I wonder if it hints towards a 300 day span for our beloved and yet much maligned OTC?

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:14 am UTC

"Mmm, that pokeymolp sure looks tasty"

DavidRa wrote:Hark fellow Time Tribespeople, for the New OtherComic has now been posted. I wonder if it hints towards a 300 day span for our beloved and yet much maligned OTC?

A bit late, OtherComics are posted in 48, 48 and 72 newpix intervals (in heretic time: on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays)

tinosoph

Postby tinosoph » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:21 am UTC

Good mornix, everyone!
Seems there is a lot of rollin' and shakin' going on.
i'm not new, i'm just infrequent

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:29 am UTC

Flotter wrote:
DavidRa wrote:Hark fellow Time Tribespeople, for the New OtherComic has now been posted. I wonder if it hints towards a 300 day span for our beloved and yet much maligned OTC?

A bit late, OtherComics are posted in 48, 48 and 72 newpix intervals (in heretic time: on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays)

Indeed, mscha noted the arrival of OtherComic #1224 about twenty newpix ago.
But it is always good to have more reminders! :) Easy to miss things on the thread of Time - it just keeps a-ticking along...
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:33 am UTC

BlitzGirl! Sometime very recently your number of posts surpassed the number of NewPages on the OTT.

So, like, congrats. :)

EDIT: I figured it out. It was with your offering of sustenance to the blitzers on 833 that your post count surpassed NP count.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:48 am UTC

Whoa. Image And how fitting, that my passing-post was to my blitzing kin. :D
This momentous occasion deserves a reprise of "The Time Less Traveled," which I first posted nearly 500 newpages ago (Again, whoa.) on Newpage 337.
Further further apologies to Robert Frost, of course:

The Time Less Traveled

Two Times diverged in a forum thread:
The Now, and newpages long since made.
But which to wander? In my head
Current posting, the past unread,
Meant I would not be long delayed.

But lack context? I wouldn't dare -
So back into the past I went.
The One True Comic waited there
With newpix left by users fair
And discussions of religious bent.

Both Times that day appeared as just.
I chose the posts that had amassed.
And in Time, I knew I surely must
Re-glimpse the Now that was discussed,
Although by then it would be Past.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere newpix and newpix hence:
Two Times diverged in a thread and I —
I chose the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Yes it has. Thank you all for making my travels through Time, both past and present, totally worth the Wait. Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:53 am UTC

Here is sandcastle cake to celebrate. :)

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:55 am UTC

Pokeymolp got to be of the hedgemolpy variety:
"A defense that all species of hedgehogs possess is the ability to roll into a tight ball, causing all of the spines to point outwards. However, its effectiveness depends on the number of spines, and since some of the desert hedgehogs evolved to carry less weight, they are much more likely to try to run away and sometimes even attack the intruder, trying to ram into the intruder with its spines, and rolling as a last resort."
[Wiki]
Though it looks like this one rolled into that ditch to expose less of himself.
When I grew up, our dog used to hate them with a passion but never found a way to get to them. When he found one in our backyard he'd get really furious and start digging a hole next to it (I guess to somehow get below that shield of mean stingy spines). End result was always a really well dug in hedgehog with his spines still pointing towards an even more furious dog's nose...
Go Minim go!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:57 am UTC

Somehow hedgehogs seem a lot scarier after reading that second sentence.

kenmelken wrote:Here is sandcastle cake to celebrate. :)
Spoiler:

7! That cake looks so much like a real sandcastle, I am almost afraid to eat it. Almost. Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:02 am UTC

AWWONG

speising

Postby speising » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:04 am UTC

the hedgehog can never be bothered at all!
Last edited by speising on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”