1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

tinosoph

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tinosoph » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

I'm sober again.

EDIT: Your pope of NP 839 commands: Alcohol shall be abolished and no loud talking, please!
Last edited by tinosoph on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
i'm not new, i'm just infrequent

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

PuttONG down again.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Sneaky ninjas...

Spoiler:
RELEASONG

Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

Ray Kremer wrote:
ergman wrote:Mmm. Everything is relatedive. For example: every way we have of giving directions becomes arbitrary at a certain point. Left and right are relative to the direction you're looking, north south east and west are planet specific, as are up and down. Is there some universal three dimensional grid of dimensions that people use to chart space, or is that relative too at some point?

Quite so. Even assuming universal agreement on three perpendicular axes, the location of the origin, the distance that each unit (amount of "one") equals, and the direction of the first axis are completely arbitrary. After that the direction of the second axis is partially confined but you still have a 360° range to choose from, and two choices for the third axis. Einstein also reminds us that all frames of reference are relative, so this is actually a very important tenant of science.

The gate is down.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

tinosoph wrote:I'm sober again.

EDIT: Your pope of NP 839 commands: Alcohol shall be abolished and no loud talking, please!

*waves at everyone with rock glass filled with scotch*
You heard your Pope. Now everyone HESH UP!!
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

Has that ever worked out well?
*Opens speakeasy, starts serving drinks to any willing to break the law*
“have i gone mad?

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

I feed my friend Catherine every few days, but I feed her as much food as fits in her dish. She can figure out for herself how to ration her food and this way she doesn't bother me about "feeding time". Except at night when I give her wet food, but that's just cute and I'm already awake, so who cares. Okay, she might be a little fat, but she's an indoor cat. Unfortunately she's lately become accustom to playing just before bed, which is annoying when she comes chirping at me and I'm tired and just want to sleep. Yes my friend Catherine chirps, she does not meow.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

thirds

Postby thirds » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

Most people would not saunter along normally without even a single flinch if they encountered a spiky molpy they had never seen before that kind of aggressively rolled toward them, rolled into a ball and leapt in the air to shoulder-height. But these two don't even register anything, normally walk over and pick it up without comment... ... this Cuegan character is stuck in the Uncanny Valley.

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Ray Kremer wrote:
ergman wrote:Mmm. Everything is relatedive. For example: every way we have of giving directions becomes arbitrary at a certain point. Left and right are relative to the direction you're looking, north south east and west are planet specific, as are up and down. Is there some universal three dimensional grid of dimensions that people use to chart space, or is that relative too at some point?

Quite so. Even assuming universal agreement on three perpendicular axes, the location of the origin, the distance that each unit (amount of "one") equals, and the direction of the first axis are completely arbitrary. After that the direction of the second axis is partially confined but you still have a 360° range to choose from, and two choices for the third axis. Einstein also reminds us that all frames of reference are relative, so this is actually a very important tenant of science.

The gate is down.

The enemy's gate is down. That makes this the most subjective orientation of all!
The enemy of my enemy is my up!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

I was wondering...
Perhaps we should publish the stories written here on FanFiction or some similar website.
Of course, most of them require previous knowledge of the OTT, but still...

They deserve to go beyond our tiny community.
They deserve to be read by the whole world.
They deserve to inspire others to Wait for whatever they are waiting for.

For we all are waiting for something, be the second coming of the messiah, the end of days, the future, aliens, a chance to live our lives and fulfill our dreams, it, or even something else completely. And some of us end up losing our faith on what we're waiting for, and start living life one day at a time, with no big plans, and no future in sight. And if all we are is all we were, then we'll soon pass on without a whisper, and life will go on.

I believe everyone should be remembered for something.

I don't know if the above makes sense to anyone but me. But I'll keep waiting for many thing, it included.
(The above may also be the Recordist here asking us to make backups and have a contingency plan.)

EDIT: changed last line.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

This thread is neat.

I wonder if I can remember how to resurrect people...
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Seeking Rainbows
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:26 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:(The above may also be the Archiver inside me asking us to make backups.)

That's what she said.
And with that insight, I am off!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:(The above may also be the Archiver inside me asking us to make backups.)

That's what she said.

I think all of us here are a little off.
And with that insight,
75_cake.jpg
75_cake.jpg (4.81 KiB) Viewed 9282 times
Voice of the Silent

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:This thread is neat.

WAKE UP <person>! x3
Selecting new quote…

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:

WAKE UP <person>! x3

ergman wrote:

That's what she said.

I don't get it. And I don't know if I want to.
Selecting new quote…

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:

WAKE UP <person>! x3

I've always found esoteric scientific processes which are then catalyzed with lightning bolts to be the best solution. /frankensteining
Just be careful what comes back doesn't come back wrong, ala pet Cemetery, or zombies.
“have i gone mad?

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

Why is everyone shouting so loudly? :( Ah nuts! I drank past my 400th :? And the cave is still spinning a little :shock:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Why is everyone shouting so loudly? :( Ah nuts! I drank past my 400th :? And the cave is still spinning a little :shock:

Spin yourself in the opposite direction and you'll be able to slow it down. Trust me it'll help :wink:
Voice of the Silent

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

Ray Kremer wrote:

That's gotta be one of the most unusual semi-homophonic word replacements I've ever seen! (should be "tenet" if you didn't know).
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Ray Kremer wrote:

That's gotta be one of the most unusual semi-homophonic word replacements I've ever seen! (should be "tenet" if you didn't know).

relativity wrote:Hey you kids, get off my lawn!

(relativity is well over 100 years old, now, I'm sure it's a cranky old man tenant)
Last edited by jovialbard on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

An ong
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:poke-ONG

... I read this as "It's a little molpy." and thought that either Randall is reading the OTT or this is another fake.

@Earthling on Mars - panic
Spoiler:
Earthling on Mars wrote:- blindposting from page 835 -

<snip>

What is happening! Is Time falling apart? Image
Must... resist... skipping...

Calm down, lad, calm down. Yes, poor Neil is dead by order of the Pope, but he can still talk with us through the Post-mortem communications. Geekwagon is working again. And the pokeymolpy didn't get eaten. Everything's okay in the present, except for everybody getting drunk.

@Dracomax - breaking the law
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:

The inquisitor disregarding a papal order?! :shock:

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
Ray Kremer wrote:

relativity wrote:Hey you kids, get off my lawn!

relativity = charlie_grumbles ??
Voice of the Silent

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:The inquisitor disregarding a papal order?! :shock:

Again, I'm pretty sure the papacy has been disbanded at least twice, whoever's the next pope should disband it again. This time disband it in the head, it appears to be a zombie.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

ucim wrote:I'll join Valayra with some Cabernet Franc.

Jose

Cheers!! *clicks glasses*

Dracomax wrote:
tinosoph wrote:Your pope of NP 839 commands: Alcohol shall be abolished and no loud talking, please!

I'll have a glass of *hic..!* your cheapest red, please.

k.bookbinder wrote:Ah nuts! I drank past my 400th :?

Oh no... so did I! :? And we have the same post count still! Here are 400 cupcakes to celebrate! Image
Spoiler:

And for people who don't like cupcakes:
Spoiler:
I wanted to put a picture of a GIANT PENIS CAKE here... but I'm at work, and googling images of giant penises is not recommended. Tits.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:But I'll make the bold claim that Atoms don't "exist". Neither do quarks and muons and all the rest.
What meaning of the word "exist" do you have in mind, that would have atoms not exist, and that would have the set of things that exist not be null (and thus make the word "exist" essentially (and existentially?)useless)?

Hmmm. Perhaps I would have been more clear had I said Atoms don't "exist" as such. I didn't mean to imply that I think nothing exists. Something is "causing" (lots of philosophy behind that, actually) the phenomena to occur. It might be "like" atoms or some combination of forces or ??? We don't really know. All we can do is observe and make hypotheses about the "reality," which is only imperfectly knowable. The models created by physics and math help us do that, but it is also useful not to confuse the reality with the model. That leads you to a "clockwork" universe of some sort.

Note: Causality is another place to get tripped up, of course. We observe that phenomena have a certain structure, part of which is regular. But is that cause and effect? Maybe, or not.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
ucim wrote:I'll join Valayra with some Cabernet Franc.

Jose

Cheers!! *clicks glasses*

Dracomax wrote:
tinosoph wrote:Your pope of NP 839 commands: Alcohol shall be abolished and no loud talking, please!

I'll have a glass of *hic..! your cheapest red, please.

k.bookbinder wrote:Ah nuts! I drank past my 400th :?

Oh no... so did I! :? And we have the same post count still! Here are 400 cupcakes to celebrate! Image
Spoiler:

And for people who don't like cupcakes:
Spoiler:
I wanted to put a picture of a GIANT PENIS CAKE here... but I'm at work, and googling images of giant penises is not recommended. Tits.

Oh, yea cupcakes. Hey! Happy 400 to you too Valarya!

Oh, dear. I think I need something other than scotch in my stomach. Cupcakes, nom. Though, I could use a bit of something to steady my head. Dracomax, hows about a gin and tonic? With a twist of lemon, if you please.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

moving ONG soon
-- Charlie Grumbles

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:moving ONG soon

Spoiler:

Soon being a relative term. First we have to stare at the little prickly17 for a couple newpix, then we have to walk back and get our packs, and then we can move alONG.

17Really neat
Voice of the Silent

akacat

Postby akacat » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:Hey xall! Still trapped in the past, distance increasing...

But I got some hats to give! First, akacat! Who asked for a hat loooong time ago! But here it is! Thanks for waiting for it!

The next one is for taixzo, hope you like it!

I also updated all my avatars so they carry buffygirl's awesilly hat 8-)

*Fades back into the past*

Thank you! I shall wear mine with cat-ish pride. :D

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:moving ONG soon
Spoiler:

D'awwww.. is the pokeymolp gazing up at them as they gaze down at it? Or is the molpy still curled up slightly? I can't tell, but either way.. it's cute!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

Okay one of us needs to invent the molpy-cam.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

I have to accuse the current pope of heresy and ask yappobiscuits to zip up to Skye for some Taliskers.
Truly the queen of whiskey. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talisker_distillery
You may have a drop of water (1) but no ice.
Fluffy watches out for these things.
Too smoky/peaty for little kids though. You need ..... on your ...... to appreciate it. (keepin' it safe for work).
-- Charlie Grumbles

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Swein wrote:Prickly neat little ONG
Spoiler:

Goggalor wrote:I'd like to add my prediction: Megan describes the molpy as 'neat'.

Well done, Goggalor!! :shock: 8-)

It was less a prophesy and more of a half-educated guess.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

akacat

Postby akacat » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:I was wondering...
Perhaps we should publish the stories written here on FanFiction or some similar website.
Of course, most of them require previous knowledge of the OTT, but still...

The Archive of Our Own (aka A03) is already expecting you: http://archiveofourown.org/tags/xkcd/works.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Did we agree on y'all as plural?
No, "y'all" is singular. The plural is "all y'all"

charlie_grumbles wrote:Atoms don't "exist" as such.
If by this you mean that the existence of atoms is an objective phenomena (true (or false) whether we are right about it or not), and our theories about it are subjective phenomena (just in our minds; the atoms don't care what we think) then I agree. If not, then what does "as such" mean?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

ucim wrote:No, "y'all" is singular. The plural is "all y'all"

I think you mean ambiguous. Y'all refers to a select group which could be singular or plural e.g. "How y'all doin". All y'all is always plural and refers to a general group, or everyone within ear shot "All y'all listen up now".

Edit: Of course there's also "yous guys" if you're in the vicinity of New Jersey.

Edit2: Everything old is new again, again, again, again...

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:Not sure if we are still claiming parts of the OTC, but I'm doing so anyway.

Dibs.png

Notice that I'm only laying claim to what is in Cueball's head. I'm not sure what that'll do for me, but it was fun anyway.

You claimed nothing, Jon Snow.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:

I think you mean ambiguous. Y'all refers to a select group which could be singular or plural e.g. "How y'all doin". All y'all is always plural and refers to a general group, or everyone within ear shot "All y'all listen up now".

Edit: Of course there's also "yous guys" if you're in the vicinity of New Jersey.

Legos. Discuss.
“have i gone mad?

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
jovialbard wrote:

Legos. Discuss.

Sounds weird in my head.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Seeking Rainbows
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Ray Kremer

Postby Ray Kremer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:(should be "tenet" if you didn't know).

Curses!

I mean, due to Soviet revisionism I have no idea what you are talking about.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”