1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:42 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
taixzo wrote:I'm a page late for the cupcakes, because this one took some time to make:
Spoiler:

Apologies to anyone allergic to autostereograms.
<snip>

I've tried numerous times, I just can't see those things. I guess my eyes are too wide set, or don't coordinate the same way human eyes do.

Thank you! So glad I'm not the only one. They never work for me. Even when I'm not wearing the mask. :(

buffygirl wrote:HELLLLP! Ok ..... a plea to Portal players for help .....

Spoiler:
Been playing Portal First Slice for several days with no problem. Started over again for fun, and then suddenly it stopped being able to load my saved games. I uninstalled then re-installed both Steam and Portal First Slice. Now I can't hear GLADoS. She's half the fun! I am very annoyed and frustrated. This is off-topic for the OTT, but I don't know where to turn to for help cuz I'm not finding any answers anywhere. :( I'm very sad. Please PM me with any suggestions.

Edit to add: I'm about to cry.
Edit 2: Or maybe break something.

I really want to play Portal (despite buffygirl's current frustration), but
I'm a-skeered to get sucked in to another time sink. :?

k.bookbinder, that trip sounds wonderful. Haven't made it to the Smokey Mountains yet. Not sure if Cuegan should really be your inspiration, though. Well, just be careful not to pick up any pricklymolps.

Edited to say--hey, I'm pope! Or not pope, if the papacy is currently in its dead and dismembered form. Well, I declare that anyone who cares about the papacy should continue to care about it for this page, and those who don't care for the papacy should completely ignore it. So it is written, so it shall be done, or not done.

Edited again to say--only three of us online, not counting MobTeeseBoose and GoogleBot. What, are you all out having fun or something?

Hi, bookbinder and Aluisio!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:01 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:HELLLLP! Ok ..... a plea to Portal players for help ..... [...]
I know nothing about Portal, so I can't help you there. But one thing I have learned, and it predates Time, is that when things get like that, one should just put them down and do something completely different. A new day, a fresh perspective... in short, "wait for it".

The times I have not done so have led to regret.

(At the moment I am in the same position as you with respect to Palm Pilot, which is refusing to sync with jPilot on my linux box.)

With a completely different program (lighting controller), I have found that sometimes the data files are corrupted, and they prevent the program from loading at all (since it loads up the last file used). Deleting that file causes it to search for a next-to-last file, which is usually not corrupt, and I can go from there.

Maybe Portal works like that? Or maybe GLaDOS really is sentient.

Sorry if this doesn't help much. *hugs*

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:10 am UTC

DONGUES...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:18 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:HELLLLP! Ok ..... a plea to Portal players for help .....

Spoiler:
Been playing Portal First Slice for several days with no problem. Started over again for fun, and then suddenly it stopped being able to load my saved games. I uninstalled then re-installed both Steam and Portal First Slice. Now I can't hear GLADoS. She's half the fun! I am very annoyed and frustrated. This is off-topic for the OTT, but I don't know where to turn to for help cuz I'm not finding any answers anywhere. :( I'm very sad. Please PM me with any suggestions.

I really want to play Portal (despite buffygirl's current frustration), but
I'm a-skeered to get sucked in to another time sink. :?

k.bookbinder, that trip sounds wonderful. Haven't made it to the Smokey Mountains yet. Not sure if Cuegan should really be your inspiration, though. Well, just be careful not to pick up any pricklymolps.

Edited to say--hey, I'm pope! Or not pope, if the papacy is currently in its dead and dismembered form. Well, I declare that anyone who cares about the papacy should continue to care about it for this page, and those who don't care for the papacy should completely ignore it. So it is written, so it shall be done, or not done.

Edited again to say--only three of us online, not counting MobTeeseBoose and GoogleBot. What, are you all out having fun or something?

Hi! Actually, I have been distracted examining online reviews for a shoe I am considering buying, in preparation for this trip (I'm so excited!). I have also purchased this as my goto pack tool. I have never been so excited to own a hammer in my life. I also feel that perhaps I should not be this excited...but look at it!

I played so long ago, I do not even know what Portal First Slice is, or how it might differ from the original Portal. It sounds like it may be a hardware conflict but it is hard to tell :( I do hope you don't give up on the game because of this glitch. I know how terribly frustrating such things are, but the game is so fantastic. As is Portal 2. I wish I could be more helpful :( I am usually quite reserved, but if you need hugs, I got 'em for you.

Oh. And Portal is SO worth it as a time sink. As is Portal 2 (though I never played multi-player mode with the two droids). Finding Ratman and all the little easter eggs, and even going back through the marketing and promo stuff is so much fun.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:33 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Edited to say--hey, I'm pope! Or not pope, if the papacy is currently in its dead and dismembered form. Well, I declare that anyone who cares about the papacy should continue to care about it for this page, and those who don't care for the papacy should completely ignore it. So it is written, so it shall be done, or not done.

Hallo Spaceboy.

The papacy is still active.

And I was busy trying to find someone for another art commission - either a reference sheet for Michael (it gets too abstract staying only in my head) or a picture of the last scene of the last chapter of The Last Time Waiter - a particularly nice scene: we got Michael, LaPetite, Megan and Cueball! And maybe even a Sandcastle! On a beach! Doesn't! This! Look! Awesome!?

(If someone is interested, please raise their hands.)
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:42 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

I played so long ago, I do not even know what Portal First Slice is, or how it might differ from the original Portal. It sounds like it may be a hardware conflict but it is hard to tell :( I do hope you don't give up on the game because of this glitch. I know how terribly frustrating such things are, but the game is so fantastic. As is Portal 2. I wish I could be more helpful :( I am usually quite reserved, but if you need hugs, I got 'em for you.

Oh. And Portal is SO worth it as a time sink. As is Portal 2 (though I never played multi-player mode with the two droids). Finding Ratman and all the little easter eggs, and even going back through the marketing and promo stuff is so much fun.

First Slice is the free demo. I'm receiving help from ChronosDragon via PM. *sigh* I'm gonna wait to try again tomorrow. I'm afeared to actually purchase it, in case this problem continues..... But anyway - thanks for the support!

COMATIME!

PS - the shoes and hammer are awesomeful!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:51 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

The First Slice is the demo of portal - approximately a third of the game (though fully half of the numbered test chambers). It's basically the same except it doesn't have the map files for the later maps. It's hard to say what the problem might be simply communicating over PMs, but I'm guessing either corrupted game files or a problem with the recent steampipe update. That's a more complex issue which is probably not relevant to post about here.

AluisioASG wrote:
And I was busy trying to find someone for another art commission - either a reference sheet for Michael (it gets too abstract staying only in my head) or a picture of the last scene of the last chapter of The Last Time Waiter - a particularly nice scene: we got Michael, LaPetite, Megan and Cueball! And maybe even a Sandcastle! On a beach! Doesn't! This! Look! Awesome!?

(If someone is interested, please raise their hands.)

I might have a go. You can check out my deviantart page if you're interested in my ~artistic skill~. I don't have any training, really, but for all that I'd say my work isn't too shabby. If you're interested, throw me a PM.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:54 am UTC

@buffygirl Coma well and good luck with fixing the problem. Buy it! :mrgreen:

Tis late for me as well. I have stayed up too late searching for camping gear. Perhaps Cuegan should have spent some more Time prepping as well but, I suppose, when you have stick for feet, high quality footwear is not such a concern.

Coma well, all! And for those who may be left, keep the faith and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
*yawn*
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

ETA: @ChronosDragon Glad you're able to help Buffygirl. I wonder if the trial version has file corruption issues due to lack of update support. I do hope you can help her fix it.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:59 am UTC

mscha wrote:DONGUES...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

I think it's charming that beesnake snuck back in frame.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:00 am UTC

BEESNAKESTILLTHEREONG

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:01 am UTC

spamjam wrote:
mscha wrote:DONGUES...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

I think it's charming that beesnake snuck back in frame.

Charming? Quite the contrary - it's rather creepy, IMO. The beesnakes are following them...tracking their every move...I think this would be the most accurate close up of those "beesnakes"...

Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:01 am UTC

1hourbetweenpostsONG

It's quite lonely here...I think I'm going crazy! I just hallucinated Blitzgirl doing a tango with msha...ooogh, let's get that image out of my head.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:03 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
taixzo wrote:I'm a page late for the cupcakes, because this one took some time to make:
Spoiler:

Apologies to anyone allergic to autostereograms.
<snip>

I've tried numerous times, I just can't see those things. I guess my eyes are too wide set, or don't coordinate the same way human eyes do.

Thank you! So glad I'm not the only one. They never work for me. Even when I'm not wearing the mask. :(

Oh me yarm taixzo! I didn't even realize that's what that was but as soon as people started commenting on it, I went back and immediately found the cupcake! So neat. :mrgreen: The trick I've always used to see those is just to look 'through' the picture. As in, just focus your eyes as if you're looking at the wall behind your computer monitor. Or several feet behind the picture. Good luck seeing it guys. ;)

buffygirl wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:

First Slice is the free demo. I'm receiving help from ChronosDragon via PM. *sigh* I'm gonna wait to try again tomorrow. I'm afeared to actually purchase it, in case this problem continues..... But anyway - thanks for the support!

Heh, I was going to mention that it could be messing up because it's the free demo and you should buy the regular version. Portal 1 and Portal 2 are great games. They're just puzzle-solving things with great stories so I suggest you buy them, for sure. As bookbinder said: SO worth it!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:08 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:1hourbetweenpostsONG
Spoiler:

It's quite lonely here...I think I'm going crazy! I just hallucinated Blitzgirl doing a tango with msha...ooogh, let's get that image out of my head.

We had double double posts.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:14 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:It's quite lonely here...I think I'm going crazy! I just hallucinated Blitzgirl doing a tango with msha...ooogh, let's get that image out of my head.

You must be crazy - I'm too clumsy to do any kind of dance and survive the experience. Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:01 am UTC

WhyAmIStillAwakeONG?
Apparently to post the ong
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:15 am UTC

There are new versions of the Avatar map available at http://xkcd.mscha.org/sciscitor.

TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:31 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:There are new versions of the Avatar map available at http://xkcd.mscha.org/sciscitor.

I spy with my little corneal membrane - recursion! Is that a properly updated version of the map in Rule110's avatar? :lol:

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:32 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:There are new versions of the Avatar map available at http://xkcd.mscha.org/sciscitor.

I spy with my little corneal membrane - recursion! Is that a properly updated version of the map in Rule110's avatar? :lol:

Rule110 got the avatar from Sciscitor in the first place. :D Awesome map, Sciscitor!

Now to coma... Image
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ergman

Postby ergman » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:43 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:1hourbetweenpostsONG

BAM! IMAGE IN YOUR HEAD! FOREVER:
I'm no Scott Adams, but I think it turned out ok...
G'night!
Spoiler:
image.jpg
image.jpg (19.15 KiB) Viewed 17283 times
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:01 am UTC

CRICKETSONG

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:13 am UTC

rvloon wrote:
ggh wrote:
I did a couple of Tarot cards that are more OTC than OTT. I started checking out a tarot meanings page and it's fun to see what meanings there are for even the lowly cards. The Two of Wands is described as representing the energy and will to make our reality. "A cohesive vision of the final destination starts to form, and though this first impression may be incorrect, that really does not matter at this time. There will be plenty of time to change your course later if you are not heading in the direction you want to be." This is the textless frame before "Want to find out?" "Yes."

The Five of Pentacles is said to do with real-world problems, often a material "loss that you bring upon yourself." Hmm, not exactly poverty, but I couldn't resist.

This is great stuff. As it was my original suggestion, I can only hope you'll continue (or others pick up). Me personally, I am useless at graphics, but great at tossing inane ideas around!

Cheers,

Ronald

Yay! You're back! So glad!
Although I'm not back yet. The power adapter died on my macBook, and stranded me 15 newpages back. I have a semi-working iBook now on which I'll try to ketchup. It doesn't have my image software on it though, so no more tarot cards from me until I can replace the adapter next week. I've got some ideas for a few more though once I'm back up and running.

What a fun idea it was - happy to be able to help implement it!

Okay, I'll try to avoid more blind-posting, and hope to see y'all in the present soon.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:19 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
azule wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Now, for my prediction I will keep things rather tame, unlike all the SUPER OUT-THERE theories proposed thus far:
Spoiler:
Upon reaching the top of the boulder, they'll finally notice the molpy. Megan won't be terrified of it, but she will be startled for a moment and jump into Cueball's arms. Gazing into his eyes she'll finally realize that what she has wanted this whole time isn't answers to the literal rising sea, but rather to the rising sea of her passion. Indeed, Cueball is all she's ever really wanted and he knows how to treat her the way she wants to be treated.

"Cueball, I think... I think I love you!" she exclaims before giving him a passionate kiss.

Just then, Cueball laughs, reaches into his bag, and pulls out a black hat.

"You didn't think I was the real Cueball this whole time did you? I've been black-hat guy traveling incognito the entire Time! I fed Cueball to the people in the hills. And now you've fallen in love with me and I'm going to marry you."

Horrified at the realization of his long-wrought subterfuge and manipulation of her feelings, Megan leaps from his arms and pulls from her own bag a whistle.

"What is that? A rape whistle? Nobody is around to hear you."

"No, it's my raptor whistle," she responds.

She blows the whistle to summon a raptor army to come to her aid. They emerge from the nearby crevices and surround black-hat guy. Just as they are about to divide his flesh asunder, two helicopters arrive and an effective spread of tranquilizer darts quickly immobilizes the raptors.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING??!?!" shouts Megan, horrified at the ambush of her raptor friends.

A loudspeaker from the lead chopper responds, "This is the RAZOR division of the CIA. We're keeping the world safe from zombies, should we ever find any, and Raptors, even though they aren't usually dangerous to humans. Our radar showed a potential raptor threat and we were dispatched to take care of it."

Black-hat guy laughs at this stroke of good fortune until Megan shouts, "That guy is a zombie! Get him!"

Just then a stake is shot from the second chopper right through black-hat guy's heart. He falls to his knees, gasping in shock. He takes off his hat and says, "Megan! I really did love you. And I really was Cueball. I was only pretending to be black hat guy as an elaborate and delayed April Fool's day joke."

Megan is horrified at the loss at her hands of the only man she's ever loved, but she's not nearly as dramatic as Juliet, so she gets over it and continues up the Mountain with the rock molpyx.
Blindreplyfromnp2030 - You sucked me in with a prediction, but it was a story. kudos. well done.

I hadn't seen kenmelken's story yet--haven't done my blitzing. OMR, I laughed for five minutes. The last sentence is fantastic.

kenmelken, I think you have the makings of an excellent RAZOR agent. Our recruitment officers will be in touch. Don't worry, they know how to find you.

!!!!!!! I await the call with eager anticipation. :) HAPPY DANCE! Image

And as if that didn't make me happy enough...

Spoiler:

MY AVATAR NOW SHOWS UP ON THE MAP!!!!
Image Image Image
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Swein

Postby Swein » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:03 am UTC

Higher and higher we GONG
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:00 am UTC

ascend-ONG

[prediction]When they reach the top LaPetite1 will be waiting for them, saying "I went around the other way."[/prediction]

1TheMinim
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Sheldon

Postby Sheldon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:07 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:[prediction]When they reach the top LaPetite1 will be waiting for them, saying "I went around the other way."[/prediction]

Or that she got the bus/cable-car run by "the others", whatever it was, there must have been a quicker solution (is a climbing montage allowed?)

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:18 am UTC

Well, I was once a bit of a mountain goat...
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:41 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

It is. It's avatars all the way down...
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:00 am UTC

paus-ONG
The slope is incredibly steep, actually.
-- Charlie Grumbles

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:06 am UTC

CasCat wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

It's not just dragon eyes; feline eyes have trouble with them, too.... <sigh>

(Thanks, Taixzo, for posting the mask so I could see what I was missing.)

Didn't work for me either. Not when I tilted my head to either side.
lmjb1964 wrote:

'Twas acoma, but many chores await, no rain predicted here for awhile, so now we have to fix the problems it caused. Today's list, repair the fence and shed and mow the lawn that enjoyed the rain so much. (I still want that lawnspiderbot.) Yesterday's involved dealing with broken tree branches and fixing an electrical outlet that got rain into it.

buffygirl wrote:First Slice is the free demo. I'm receiving help from ChronosDragon via PM. *sigh* I'm gonna wait to try again tomorrow. I'm afeared to actually purchase it, in case this problem continues..... But anyway - thanks for the support!

Isn't this a great tribe?

Edited to fix broken quote.
Last edited by SBN on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:08 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:paus-ONG
The slope is incredibly steep, actually.

"Oof"?
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:31 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

It is. It's avatars all the way down...

Good mornix!

You know, I find it amazing what our discussions in the OTT have lead me to. Here is yet another event which has lead to me something from my early childhood. The Droste Effect. The new Avatar map, fully updated with Rule110's fully updated avatar, now represents a wonderfully complete Droste effect, which I tried to imagine: I found mscha's avatar, then found it in Rule110's avatar, and found it again in Rule110's avatar in Rule110's avatar, and then...well OK, you get the point. And this made me think of something I thought of way back in the beginning when Cueball built, what I have always thought of as, the Droste Sandcastle.

I remember one specific part of an animated movie, in which a toy is looking at a dog food can, which has a picture on the label of a dog on a can of food, which has a dog on the label on a can of food, which has a dog on the label on a can of food, which has a dog on the label on a can of food, which has a dog on the label on a can of food, which has a dog on the label on a can of food...

Sorry. Anyway, imagining mscha's avatar in mscha's avatar map this way, and always finding it in Rule110's avatar, I wondered how could one go (infinitely, of course!) until one could see the last visible dog. And then it clicked. A quick Google search for "the last visible dog" lead me to here. Now after years of randomly remembering that scene, and wondering what movie that was (why I never tried other searches for other terms like, dog food and Droste effect, I do not know), I finally found it! Does anyone else remember The Mouse and His Child?

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

come-ONG Megan, you can do it
-- Charlie Grumbles

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:13 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:come-ONG Megan, you can do it
Spoiler:

It has been quite some Time since they have rested. They are not in the best spot for stopping now.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:28 pm UTC

My first-ever prediction:

They reach the top, and the contents of their backpacks are revealed. They don their para-flying suits and freedive, soaring over wowterfalls and grapevines, finally landing on, you guessed it, their sandcastle platform.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:It's quite lonely here...I think I'm going crazy! I just hallucinated Blitzgirl doing a tango with msha...ooogh, let's get that image out of my head.

You must be crazy - I'm too clumsy to do any kind of dance and survive the experience. Image

Don't worry, that makes two of us. Image (Me dancing? Very unlikely. Me dancing a tango? Not in this lifetime.)
Newpixbot dances a mean tango, though.

ergman wrote:BAM! IMAGE IN YOUR HEAD! FOREVER:
Spoiler:

Yes, that's about how awkward it would look. Image

charlie_grumbles wrote:The slope is incredibly steep, actually.

It is. On this frame, the average grade is 45%, or almost one in two. The part where Megan is struggling is even a bit steeper.

k.bookbinder wrote:The Droste Effect.

For those of you who don't know the etymology of this, Droste is a Dutch brand of cocoa, which has been using the following design on their boxes for over a century.
(Warning: animation a bit unsubtle, might be slightly unpleasant to look at – or worse.)
Spoiler:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:My first-ever prediction:

They reach the top, and the contents of their backpacks are revealed. They don their para-flying suits and freedive, soaring over wowterfalls and grapevines, finally landing on, you guessed it, their sandcastle platform.

Sorry to have ninja'd your prediction... :P (Unhide the spoiler.) S'ok, I don't mind sharing, and you've predicted in much more detail, anyway! :)
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

Yay again - ketched up! I think that was my swiftest ketching-up yet, so apparently my max speed is just a little better than 3 pages an hour.

Dracomax wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
TheMinim wrote:This thread is neat.

I wonder if I can remember how to resurrect people...

WAKE UP <person>! x3

I've always found esoteric scientific processes which are then catalyzed with lightning bolts to be the best solution. /frankensteining
Just be careful what comes back doesn't come back wrong, ala pet Cemetery, or zombies.

Funny you should mention Pet Semetary. I just happened to pluck that off my bookshelf yesterday, and flipping through it, what should catch my eye but the main character remembering "Good night, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are."

Sad that I missed the double dactyls, and the drinking, as I've got some good single-malts here to enjoy.

Swiggely Diggely
Glenfiddich, Talisker
Aren't much better than
Entry-grade scotch

Islays at 25?
Pricey but middling
'xcept for the Black Bowmore;
That's one to watch.

Port Ellen, Caol Ila
Islays in cask-strength form
These are the whiskies you
should really try.

Aberlour Abunadh
Glenfarclas 105
All the Adelphi range
Brora, oh my!
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

yep-ONG
-- Charlie Grumbles

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

"Yup", and not "Yeah" - exciting!

This spoiler is for Angelastic only:
Spoiler:
baseTest_spiral.jpg
baseTest_book.jpg
baseTest_mag.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

New test:
magTest_black.jpg
magTest_bigLoop.jpg
magTest_brass.jpg
magTest_spiral.jpg
magTest_silver.jpg
magTest_japaneseLt.jpg
magTest_japaneseDk.jpg
baseTest_silverCap.jpg
baseTest_silverBright.jpg
baseTest_brassCap.jpg
baseTest_japaneseFloral.jpg
baseTest_rectanglel.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contact sheets of the four favoured magnifying glasses at a five resolutions:
magContactSheet256.png

magContactSheet128.png

magContactSheet64.png
magContactSheet64.png (79.37 KiB) Viewed 12932 times

magContactSheet32.png
magContactSheet32.png (24.53 KiB) Viewed 12932 times

magContactSheet16.png
magContactSheet16.png (9.92 KiB) Viewed 12932 times
Last edited by ggh on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:13 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”