1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Valarya

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:This buttermolpyfacebugbeesnake has the most interesting flight path we've seen so far.

FTFY. :mrgreen:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:This buttermolpyfacebugbeesnake has the most interesting flight path we've seen so far.

FTFY. :mrgreen:

Thanks! :oops:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

steeply-ONG
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

The Last Ketchup

Valarya wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:In any case, my heart belongs to another series, and my mind, to yet another.

Are you going to share which two series? :|

Heart and Mind.
From Heart came inspiration to the ending of TLTW, and from Mind came Chapter 6.

BlitzGirl wrote:Image

Hmm. I'm still in a dream.

lmjb1964 wrote:AluisioASG, I finally went back and read all of TLTW, and I'm really enjoying it. The last few chapters have had me on the edge of my seat, and the recent scene was really quite shocking. (I won't say more in case there's someone else that is not reading the current installments till they ketchup on earlier ones.) Really great job.

Thank you.

mscha wrote:@AluisioASG: That's a lot of blood and destruction! We may not have had enough conflict in the OTC, but you're certainly making up for it...

The music inspired the Archduchess me…

Flado wrote:Everyone should be quoted at least once.

Is this a thread rule? If so, we'll need a script to scan for delayed FirstPosts.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:This sounds familiar...
The attachment cd_turnback.png is no longer available

Hmm.
Here's what's still in store for Cuegan if we assume a Click&Drag sized mountain... ;)
Spoiler:
time_cnd.png
Go Minim go!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
HES wrote:With great power, comes great respONGsibility
Buttermolpyfacebugbeesnakes!

Are we repeating? My friends, we have the new semencancerbabiesbaconcoffeeonice, I think. Buttermolpyfacebugbeesnakes seems to heading the same direction - a string of nonsensical, yet meaningful two-syllable words that are shoved together for the sake of humor. Are we repeating?

If so, I'm not entirely against this :P

Oh my god! We've all been infected by trochee fixation!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
ggh wrote:Questions:

1) Do you think Cuegan have anyone besides each other? Have they left their support people behind, or were they already on their own before they left? Just wondering how much more scary it is for them being so far from home. Do you think there's anyone worried about them right now?

If they have parents someone is worrying about them. Parents never stop worrying. Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there. (Not sure if outside the US it is Father's Day or not, but I'll extend the wish anyway.)

This one's transatlantic, if not universal (not sure if the Martians bother with such festivities).

What is going on with cueball in this frame? He looks like he's being attacked by giant leech-molpies in his pants
He/Him/His Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

Due to pernicious maneuvering by Valarya and jjjdavidson, I've been made the goat as well as the pope of page 858. Very tricky and underhanded.

However, fair is fair, even when it ain't so I'll now judge between the serious and the silly for page 858.

Unfortunately the attempts at silly, including my own, were half hearted, perfunctory, and inadequate. Only ZoomanSP, ucim and ChronosDragon made serious, valiant attempts at silliness and they are, therefore, to be given membership into the "Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam" with all of the rights, privileges and honors appertaining to that Order. Congratulations.

Everyone else: far too serious by far. Lighten up folks.
-- Charlie Grumbles

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

By the way, c_g, your avatar is a bit disorienting at times. I see one post by you with the behatted Grumble pointing up, then scroll down to see him again but pointing to the right, and so forth.

It rather gives the illusion that there are four different Grumbles, posting in series.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

poxic wrote:By the way, c_g, your avatar is a bit disorienting at times. I see one post by you with the behatted Grumble pointing up, then scroll down to see him again but pointing to the right, and so forth.

It rather gives the illusion that there are four different Grumbles, posting in series.

Heh heh. Maybe I'm just schitzo-schitzo-schitzo-phrenic.

Or you are. one'er'da'oder.

ETA. But ain't it cool that when I double post, the two avatars dance in sync. Cool as a moose.

ETA2. The slowly revolving avatar is a public service. 90 revolutions between ongs. Count'em.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:05 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

struggl-ONG
-- Charlie Grumbles

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
HES wrote:With great power, comes great respONGsibility
Spoiler:

Buttermolpyfacebugbeesnakes!

Are we repeating? My friends, we have the new semencancerbabiesbaconcoffeeonice, I think. Buttermolpyfacebugbeesnakes seems to heading the same direction - a string of nonsensical, yet meaningful two-syllable words that are shoved together for the sake of humor. Are we repeating?

Oh my god! We've all been infected by trochee fixation!

Jetpack ferret pizza lawyer! You're right! :shock:
We need a full neurological assessment of OTTers (and other internet capable mammals). Anyone own a CAT scanner?

poxic wrote:By the way, c_g, your avatar is a bit disorienting at times. I see one post by you with the behatted Grumble pointing up, then scroll down to see him again but pointing to the right, and so forth.

Yours is horrifically reminiscent of a painting in the spare room of my grandparents' house that used to give me nightmares. It's quite unsettling :(
The gifs do get confusing though. Especially those like mscha's that change colour and look completely different
He/Him/His Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

HES wrote:

Yours is horrifically reminiscent of a painting in the spare room of my grandparents' house that used to give me nightmares. It's quite unsettling :(
<snip>

Is there such an image online? I'd be interested to see it.
Thanks. ex-pope dpc_g
-- Charlie Grumbles

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

HES wrote:Yours is horrifically reminiscent of a painting in the spare room of my grandparents' house that used to give me nightmares. It's quite unsettling :(

That ... must have been quite some painting.

My avatar steals from the attached pic. When I was betitled, I added the rainbow bit.
Spoiler:
buster.jpg
buster.jpg (40.75 KiB) Viewed 14759 times
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

poxic wrote:
HES wrote:Yours is horrifically reminiscent of a painting in the spare room of my grandparents' house that used to give me nightmares. It's quite unsettling :(

My avatar steals from the attached pic. When I was betitled, I added the rainbow bit.
Spoiler:
buster.jpg

Hmmm. Doesn't he live in a shoe? Along with Tie?
-- Charlie Grumbles

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

And to the end of 72! :D

Spoiler:
mojacardave on page 41, could you fix your auto-updating frame, please, if you're still around? (at least put it in spoiler tags)

And after a mention of Boom de Yada on page 43, I start singing and annoying myself.

It always excites me a little when I see posts from people I recognise - buffygirl, HAL9000, Helper... Also, quotes. As part of signatures or on the list of quotes in the Wiki, it's always brilliant to see them in context.

It hurts a little when someone says that they hate the comic yet I can see the reasons why they have that cause. This comic is a good chunk of my life (a fair bit of spare time) now. It's a good relationship.

It's a little freaky when someone says 'sigged' but the thing isn't in their sig, but that is the effect of time and changing stuff.

References to Outsider things I like are fun, too. And to think that it was only in recent years that I came across them.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

Aww, I missed the "in my pants" page while a-coma in my pants :(
Anyway, good mornternix, OTTers! Image
TheMinim wrote:I have decided to do some proper Blitzing, from beginning to end, without peeking at our future. But to be unique, I have set myself a little challenge, to respond to every last post of a page. Such Fun!

Randallspeed on your glorious quest, Minim! (And was that a Miranda reference there?)
ChronosDragon wrote:Are we repeating? My friends, we have the new semencancerbabiesbaconcoffeeonice, I think. Buttermolpyfacebugbeesnakes seems to heading the same direction - a string of nonsensical, yet meaningful two-syllable words that are shoved together for the sake of humor. Are we repeating?

The OTT definitely has a case of trochee fixation...
taixzo wrote:Oh my god! We've all been infected by trochee fixation!

Randalldammit! Ninja'd.
BlitzGirl wrote:Silly: I'm a sleepy molpy. The lack of coma is getting to me.
Spoiler:

I emitted an audible "awwww!". Lookatdaliddlepricklies! :3
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

HES wrote:The gifs do get confusing though. Especially those like mscha's that change colour and look completely different

So you wouldn't use an avatar like this? Image

List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

bit more climb-ONG

Possible it will flatten out a bit now. They need a rest.

And will the flutterbeesnake still accompanong? Seems to have landed.
-- Charlie Grumbles

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
HES wrote:The gifs do get confusing though. Especially those like mscha's that change colour and look completely different

So you wouldn't use an avatar like this? Image

I am not averse to confusing people. Thanks :D

poxic wrote:

Spoiler:
buster.jpg

It's the eyes, more than the vombow. Always watching, staring...

ETA: my post is was out of sync with my avatar :?
EDIT: Completely off topic
Spoiler:
this photoplasty seems to think that underpasses/underwalks/subways don't exist, when they're a common occurrence, at least in the UK. Are they really that unheard of in the US?
Last edited by HES on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

If you look carefully just below the bush under Megan, it looks like she has kicked a bit of rock loose and it is falling. Hope she isn't slipping. Bad place for ti.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:<snip> ZoomanSP, ucim and ChronosDragon made serious, valiant attempts at silliness and they are, therefore, to be given membership into the "Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam" with all of the rights, privileges and honors appertaining to that Order. Congratulations. <snip>

My first title! *happydance* Image
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

HES wrote:
SBN wrote:
ggh wrote:Questions:

1) Do you think Cuegan have anyone besides each other? Have they left their support people behind, or were they already on their own before they left? Just wondering how much more scary it is for them being so far from home. Do you think there's anyone worried about them right now?

If they have parents someone is worrying about them. Parents never stop worrying. Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there. (Not sure if outside the US it is Father's Day or not, but I'll extend the wish anyway.)

This one's transatlantic, if not universal (not sure if the Martians bother with such festivities).

What is going on with cueball in this frame? He looks like he's being attacked by giant leech-molpies in his pants

Never? That's what I suspected. I wish my folks were still around so I could show some appreciation now that I finally get it. Father's Day in NZ is in September, but the wee one's Daddy is in the US, so he'll get two. :)

Happy Father's Day OTTers!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:<snip> ZoomanSP, ucim and ChronosDragon made serious, valiant attempts at silliness and they are, therefore, to be given membership into the "Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam" with all of the rights, privileges and honors appertaining to that Order. Congratulations. <snip>

Actually, your avatar needs a hat, which is a turtle, which needs a hat, which... all the way up. 8-)
-- Charlie Grumbles

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

The beesnake is not being much help, just sitting there watching Cuegan scramble up the mountain.

HES wrote:EDIT: Completely off topic
Spoiler:
this photoplasty seems to think that underpasses/underwalks/subways don't exist, when they're a common occurrence, at least in the UK. Are they really that unheard of in the US?

Not unheard of, but certainly rarer. When I think about it, only one jumps to mind that's local to where I grew up. Pedestrian bridges/skywalks (and of course crosswalks) are more common to the regions I've lived in.
Oh, and my hometown founded Father's Day. You're welcome. :D
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

Here's the current scene's Molpymation.
This one is tricky because of the extended movement. I had to choose: either don't cut and zoom, or cut and zoom but follow the butterbeesnake.
I chose the latter, but I'm not too happy with the result.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

charlie_grumbles wrote:If you look carefully just below the bush under Megan, it looks like she has kicked a bit of rock loose and it is falling. Hope she isn't slipping. Bad place for ti.

She did.

Also, looks like Cueball is being unhelpful, just sitting there instead of assisting Megan. Is this his revenge for losing the argument?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

HES wrote:Jetpack ferret pizza lawyer

That'd make a really good password. Also, does anyone else think they got up the really steep part easier than other less steep places?
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Swein

Postby Swein » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Here's the current scene's Molpymation.
This one is tricky because of the extended movement. I had to choose: either don't cut and zoom, or cut and zoom but follow the butterbeesnake.
I chose the latter, but I'm not too happy with the result.
Spoiler:

Looking good to me! I must say that the molpy activities have become more advanced the further Cuegan have come on their quest. Maybe the fresh montain air makes them more alert.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

succeed-ONG

hard one
-- Charlie Grumbles

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
ZoomanSP wrote:

Actually, your avatar needs a hat, which is a turtle, which needs a hat, which... all the way up. 8-)

I would be honoured to get a hat for my avatar! But I can wait for it (after all, that's what w'all are practising now since the beginning of Time).

So, whenever Vytron or HAL9000 read this post, I hereby ask respectfully for an oeuvre from your millinery for my turtle. I have a larger file if needed.

Added: I just remembered that HAL9000 sometimes skips some NP (which is totally fine with me, everyone has a personal style of waiting for it). So, I'll maybe ask again if my then-still-unhatted self sees him around here one dix or the other.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

The Dark Lord

Chapter 1 - 2 - 3

There is a knock at the door. The Dark Lord sits up in his bed and calls out, "What is it?" in a voice deeper than the Sea¹.

"The General has returned, Your Majesty," says the servant outside the door.

"Have him at the throne room in five minutes," says the Dark Lord.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

The Dark Lord gets out of the black bed and changes into his royal clothing. He goes to the door at the side of the bedchamber, opens it, and walks through into the throne room. He closes the door, and it blends perfectly into the black wall. He sits down on the black throne.

A few minutes later, the door at the front of the throne room opens. The servant enters and bows.

"The General, Your Majesty," he says.

The General walks in behind the servant and bows. The servant exits, shutting the door behind him.

The Dark Lord examines the General. He has a bruise on his forehead.

"What happened, General?" says the Dark Lord.

Spoiler:
"You are right, Your Majesty," says the General, "LaPetite is trouble."

"What did she do?" says the Dark Lord.

"We marched upon the Castle," says the General, "myself and the fifty Molpies, with the ten Sparrow-raptors flying overhead."

"And?" says the Dark Lord.

"I marched to the gate and drew my sword. LaPetite was standing on the wall above the gate. I said, 'In the name of the Dark Lord of Moraer, I order you to come out.'"

"And what did she do?" says the Dark Lord.

"She shook her head and turned and walked away," says the General.

"And what did you do?" says the Dark Lord. His voice has become louder with each time he has to prompt the General to continue.

"I ordered the Molpies forward to attack," says the General.

"And what did she do?" says the Dark Lord, his voice increasing a few more decibels.

"A rock came flying over the wall and hit one of the Molpies," says the General. "Its knee was injured."

"Then several more rocks flew over the wall," says the General. "More Molpies were hit, and one rock hit my knee."

"General," says the Dark Lord, his voice not as loud as before.

"Yes, Your Majesty?" says the General.

"Must I drag every detail out of you?"

"Your Majesty?"

The Dark Lord grunts and slaps his hand against his armrest. "Continue."

"Yes, Your Majesty," says the General. "The Sparrow-raptors swooped down into the Castle to capture LaPetite."

"And did they?" the Dark Lord says, his voice growing louder again.

"A barrage of rocks went flying up from the Castle at the Sparrow-raptors," says the General. "Two were hit. They all abandoned their attack and flew safely back to me."

"What did they see inside the Castle?" says the Dark Lord.

The General swallows. "LaPetite had Trebuchets, to fire rocks with." He swallows again.

"General," says the Dark Lord, "one girl cannot fire a 'barrage' of rocks. Do you have something else to say?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," says the General, and swallows again. He clears his throat. "The Sparrow-raptors reported that LaPetite has about a dozen Molpies of her own."

"What?" says the Dark Lord.

The General winces at his volume. "They were firing the Trebuchets, Your Majesty," he says.

The Dark Lord sits in silent contemplation for a short while.

"What happened next, General?" he finally says, his voice unusually quiet.

"The rocks continued to hit the Molpies, and those not injured too badly attempted to knock down the walls of the Castle," says the General.

"Several Molpies charged out the gate and attacked my Molpies," says the General. "Others apparently stayed in the Castle to fire the Trebuchets at the Sparrow-raptors."

"I and my Molpies fought LaPetite's molpies," says the General.

"And?" says the Dark Lord, his voice growing very loud again.

"The battle should have been in our favor, Your Majesty," says the General, "since we had nearly five times as many troops as she had. But her Molpies were fierce, and the Sparrow-raptors were not able to land in the Castle because of the rocks from the Trebuchets."

"So you fled, then?" says the Dark Lord.

"Several of my Molpies were injured, as well as a few of hers," says the General. "Then a rock from a Trebuchet hit me in the forehead." He gently touched the bruise. "It dented my helmet. I was dazed and fell on the sand, but not knocked out."

The General bows his head. "I decided it was time to abandon the attack," he says.

"I see," says the Dark Lord. His voice is quiet again.

"I called for the forces to retreat," says the General. "Two of the Sparrow-raptors were injured in their wings and had to walk. Several of the Molpies were badly injured and lagged behind all the way. One Molpy did not follow at all. He may have been dead."

"I see," says the Dark Lord.

The General looks at the floor in silence.

"Is that all, General?" says the Dark Lord.

"Yes," says the General. "I am sorry, Your Majesty. I will do better next time."

"See that you do," says the Dark Lord.

After a few more moments of silence, the Dark Lord waves his hand. "Dismissed."

The General bows and exits.

The Dark Lord sits on his throne in thought.

"LaPetite is much trouble," he says aloud. "She must be stopped."

He stands up. "And I will see to it that she is."

¹ big

← previous (NP759) - next (NP1592) →
Last edited by Earthling on Mars on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

I think we can safely say they've reached the mountains.

(These are, apparently, the Drakensberg mountain range in South Africa; for those of us who are still keeping track of possible locations.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I think we can safely say they've reached the mountains.

(These are, apparently, the Drakensberg mountain range in South Africa; for those of us who are still keeping track of possible locations.)

Drakensberg = "Dragon Mountains"

It's ALL connected! :P

I realize that was probably intentional...

ETA: AND there's an area of the Drakensberg Mountains called the "Giant's Castle." I think it's clear what the implications are.
ETA2: AND they found cave art made by Bushmen. I think the OTT must be nearby!
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:48 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

Was about to make a "Holy Randall, that means Dragon Mountains" comment but was ninja'd by ChronosDragon (but I'll let him have it, he is the actual dragon after all :P)

Nice Dark Lord chapter, Earthling! That was quite an epic battle, the Siege of LaPetite...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:The Dark Lord

Chapter 1 - 2 - 3
Spoiler:
There is a knock at the door. The Dark Lord sits up in his bed and calls out, "What is it?" in a voice deeper than the Sea¹.

"The General has returned, Your Majesty," says the servant outside the door.

"Have him at the throne room in five minutes," says the Dark Lord.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

The Dark Lord gets out of the black bed and changes into his royal clothing. He goes to the door at the side of the bedchamber, opens it, and walks through into the throne room. He closes the door, and it blends perfectly into the black wall. He sits down on the black throne.

A few minutes later, the door at the front of the throne room opens. The servant enters and bows.

"The General, Your Majesty," he says.

The General walks in behind the servant and bows. The servant exits, shutting the door behind him.

The Dark Lord examines the General. He has a bruise on his forehead.

"What happened, General?" says the Dark Lord.

"You are right, Your Majesty," says the General, "LaPetite is trouble."

"What did she do?" says the Dark Lord.

"We marched upon the Castle," says the General, "myself and the fifty Molpies, with the ten Sparrow-raptors flying overhead."

"I marched to the gate and drew my sword. LaPetite was standing on the wall above the gate. I said, 'In the name of the Dark Lord of Moraer, I order you to come out.'"

"And what did she do?" says the Dark Lord.

"She shook her head and turned and walked away," says the General.

"And what did you do?" says the Dark Lord. His voice has become louder with each time he has to prompt the General to continue.

"I ordered the Molpies forward to attack," says the General.

"And what did she do?" says the Dark Lord, his voice increasing a few more decibels.

"A rock came flying over the wall and hit one of the Molpies," says the General. "Its knee was injured."

"Then several more rocks flew over the wall," says the General. "More Molpies were hit, and one rock hit my knee."

"General," says the Dark Lord, his voice not as loud as before.

"Yes, Your Majesty?" says the General.

"Must I drag every detail out of you?"

"Your Majesty?"

The Dark Lord grunts and slaps his hand against his armrest. "Continue."

"Yes, Your Majesty," says the General. "The Sparrow-raptors swooped down into the Castle to capture LaPetite."

"And did they?" the Dark Lord says, his voice growing louder again.

"A barrage of rocks went flying up from the Castle at the Sparrow-raptors," says the General. "Two were hit. They all abandoned their attack and flew safely back to me."

"What did they see inside the Castle?" says the Dark Lord.

The General swallows. "LaPetite had Trebuchets, to fire rocks with." He swallows again.

"General," says the Dark Lord, "one girl cannot fire a 'barrage' of rocks. Do you have something else to say?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," says the General, and swallows again. He clears his throat. "The Sparrow-raptors reported that LaPetite has about a dozen Molpies of her own."

"What?" says the Dark Lord.

The General winces at his volume. "They were firing the Trebuchets, Your Majesty," he says.

The Dark Lord sits in silent contemplation for a short while.

"What happened next, General?" he finally says, his voice unusually quiet.

"The rocks continued to hit the Molpies, and those not injured too badly attempted to knock down the walls of the Castle," says the General.

"Several Molpies charged out the gate and attacked my Molpies," says the General. "Others apparently stayed in the Castle to fire the Trebuchets at the Sparrow-raptors."

"I and my Molpies fought LaPetite's molpies," says the General.

"And?" says the Dark Lord, his voice growing very loud again.

"The battle should have been in our favor, Your Majesty," says the General, "since we had nearly five times as many troops as she had. But her Molpies were fierce, and the Sparrow-raptors were not able to land in the Castle because of the rocks from the Trebuchets."

"So you fled, then?" says the Dark Lord.

"Several of my Molpies were injured, as well as a few of hers," says the General. "Then a rock from a Trebuchet hit me in the forehead." He gently touched the bruise. "It dented my helmet. I was dazed and fell on the sand, but not knocked out."

The General bows his head. "I decided it was time to abandon the attack," he says.

"I see," says the Dark Lord. His voice is quiet again.

"I called for the forces to retreat," says the General. "Two of the Sparrow-raptors were injured in their wings and had to walk. Several of the Molpies were badly injured and lagged behind all the way. One Molpy did not follow at all. He may have been dead."

"I see," says the Dark Lord.

The General looks at the floor in silence.

"Is that all, General?" says the Dark Lord.

"Yes," says the General. "I am sorry, Your Majesty. I will do better next time."

"See that you do," says the Dark Lord.

After a few more moments of silence, the Dark Lord waves his hand. "Dismissed."

The General bows and exits.

The Dark Lord sits on his throne in thought.

"LaPetite is much trouble," he says aloud. "She must be stopped."

He stands up. "And I will see to it that she is."

¹ big

mscha wrote:I think we can safely say they've reached the mountains.

Spoiler:

A great new chapter of "The Dark Lord", and a new picture4. These are good times in the OTT.

4: neat
Wait on.

Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

Yay! A new Dark Lord chapter!
Go LaPetite! Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:And to the end of 72! :D

mojacardave on page 41, could you fix your auto-updating frame, please, if you're still around? (at least put it in spoiler tags)

I added to my warning about the one on page 25.
It's a measure of how fast things moved, my firstpost is on page 24, my second is on page 44. If anyone here has a post just before page 41, could you put up a warning?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Valarya wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:In any case, my heart belongs to another series, and my mind, to yet another.

Are you going to share which two series? :|

Heart and Mind.

Ohh, I was thinking book series. Looking back, I see Yappo was talking about the show rather than the books (Game of Thrones). Sorry :oops:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

farther up-ONG
-- Charlie Grumbles

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
TheMinim wrote:And to the end of 72! :D

I added to my warning about the one on page 25.
It's a measure of how fast things moved, my firstpost is on page 24, my second is on page 44. If anyone here has a post just before page 41, could you put up a warning?

K, did it on page 30 (My next post is too late). Please let me know if there's a better way to phrase / present my warning.

MWAH!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”