1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BytEfLUSh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BytEfLUSh » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

PizzaKetchup Episode II:

@mscha
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:ETA: this is not my favourite pizza topping. But perhaps BlitzGirl would like it? ;)
Oooh, it's got a butterfly! :D Though, yeah, it might need to spend some more time in the oven. :)

@Eternal Density
Spoiler:
Eternal Density wrote:[ketchup edit for pizza toppings]
I'm a ham, pineapple, and cheese kind of guy, but chicken (with bbq sauce) is good also, pumpkin can be interesting, and I once had a very tasty eggs benedict pizza.
Oh yeah and sundried tomatoes and mushrooms are great too.
Ham is nice, I like that! Chicken, too. And you are also suggesting pineapple and pumpkin? Well, I guess I will try that too! Is that a North American thing? I've never seen a pizza with those before. Now I am curious. :)

@taixzo
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:My favorite pizza toppings? Basil, garlic, artichoke, onions and kalamata olives. No cheese.
Hmm, that combination sounds intriguing, especially since there's no cheese allowed? What kind of pizza is that? :D Well, I'll find out pretty soon! :)

@fhorn
Spoiler:
fhorn wrote:It's not always my favorite, but sometimes I just want to have a potato pizza.
Those look like potato chips. Never really worked out for me, though (maybe I'm wrong somewhere? Ketchup, salami, cheese and potato chips)

I tried to answer every suggestion here... Sorry if I missed yours, I will read the page again just to be safe. Thank you for all the suggestions; now, let's go back to our feature programme:

Wait for it...

ETA: OK, this was not my intention.
Now, let's have a new Papal decree: Post a silly prediction, do your own fanfic, or try to ONG. :)
Last edited by BytEfLUSh on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:02 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:01 am UTC

RopeONG!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:04 am UTC

azule wrote:Panorama Update. I start this leg from the snake detour.

Neat! At this point it's been big enough we could make a click-and-drag out of it. Food for thought.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:04 am UTC

Ooh, now maybe we'll see if the dream was foreshadowing anything...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:07 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Ooh, now maybe we'll see if the dream was foreshadowing anything...

If it was, I think it will raise more questions than it answers
He/Him/His Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:10 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:OMR, thank you for linking to that song! It was hilarious, as was your par-O-TT of it. (I'm trying to get people to use that term, but I guess it really doesn't work that well. :( )
I don't think we're doing parodies, so that's a problem. Weird Al basically remixes the songs he parodies, with either an opposing theme or a similar feel, with the end result that something is made fun of.

We, I think, filk with more seriousness (even if they're fun and light). They're fan fiction, regardless of it being a story, a song, or an image. Even the data crunching is fiction as we're forced to look at ourselves in a new way that may not actually reflect reality (such as how post count doesn't account for short or image-based creative contributions).

It seems that most definitions of "filk" don't include us, so we do need a new word. But we don't mock our subject, we embrace it, like geeks. A few words to contemplate:
Geektion (like fiction)
Dorknuggets (nuggets of gold, because that's how awesome we all are)
Dweebnips (like manips (manipulations))
Or mix and match until goal word found.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:16 am UTC

mscha wrote:RopeONG!
Spoiler:

Called it!

My prediction: Cueball's dream indicates that the brain-eating amoeba induces psychic visions, and these words will become relevant in the coming newpix:

Our rope isn't strong enough. Hold this or you'll fall.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:23 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:20 am UTC

Ketching-up after work...
Spoiler:
<eliding rather a lot>

ucim wrote:
the First Cleric wrote:Not only has he done it, but so has CasCat.
The Pope looks blankly at him.
the First Cleric wrote:The other BlitzGirl... The one you said you knew about?
The Pope wrote:Oh, yes, that one. I think maybe you'd better tell me all about this now, rather than later. Where is this CasCat?
the First Cleric wrote:She's been spending all her time with his Meojesty.
The Pope wrote:edfel? I want a word with him also. About those... maps... of his.
The Pope and the First Cleric exit stage right, as the First Cleric begins filling him in about the events of the past few days. The second scribe is left alone with the sixth cleric and the two BlitzRockets. The sixth cleric follows the second scribe as she walks over to Taixzo's craft to inspect it.
the sixth cleric wrote:The Quest... did you find what you were looking for?
the second scribe wrote:I think so.
the sixth cleric wrote:And the Pope? If I may ask, how was he?
The second scribe pauses a moment, and looks her straight in the eye.
the second scribe wrote:Brave.
Blackout. End of scene 11.(cue 69 blackout.) (cue 70 sc 12)

Act 1, scene 12

At rise: A tent in the campsite. The back of the tent is open, facing the audience, so we can see inside. His Meowjesty edfel is cuddled up with CasCat. Upstage, the Pope and the First Cleric approach the (closed) entrance of the tent. The First Cleric addresses them from outside.
the First Cleric wrote:Your Meowjesty - you have a visitor.
CasCat giggles.
edfel wrote:You ain't kiddin'! Go away.
the First Cleric wrote:I mean... you have another visitor.
edfel wrote:Is she cute?
CasCat wrote:What am I? Chopped molpy?
edfel wrote:I didn't mean it that way. Well, ok, actually I did mean it that way, but I didn't mean what meaning it that way means, if you know what I mean.
the First Cleric wrote:It's the Pope. And he wishes audience with both of you.
CasCat and edfel look at each other.
CasCat wrote:It would be an honor.
The Pope and the First Cleric enter through the tent flap, and CasCat bows before the Pope. Reluctantly, edfel follows suit.
CasCat wrote:It is an honor to be even in your presence, your Pontiffness.
The Pope wrote:No, it is the other way around. I am merely a Pope. You, however, have done something which is far more awesome and humbling. Is it true what they say - that you have Blitzed the entire thread? The One True Thread?
CasCat wrote:Yes, indeed. It was a most wonderful and relaxing experience. I am far the richer for it. And also, by having done so, for meeting his Meowjesty.
The Pope wrote:Yes, I have a few words for him myself. But that can wait until later. For now, I want to ensure that you get your proper and due recognition as BlitzGirl the Next.
CasCat wrote:Oh, I already have. Or, I think I have. The First Cleric held a ceremony just the other day for me. There was a bit of pandemonium at the end though.
The Pope turns to the First Cleric.
The Pope wrote:Oh? You seem to have omitted that part.
the First Cleric wrote:Well, there was so little time - I couldn't explain everything on this little walk here.
CasCat wrote:Things got a little out of hand with the dancing, and then there was that berry juice something-or-other.
The Pope wrote:I've heard stories, and I have a feeling I'll be hearing a few more in the next few days.
CasCat wrote:I'm sure it's fine, but you have another party in mind, I never turn down a party.
The Pope wrote:Good. I love a party too. So, it's settled. But I have one question for you. I am told that you Blitzed the entire thread in only one week. That's seven hundred pages. Is that right?
CasCat wrote:Seven hundred thirty three, to be exact.
The Pope wrote:A hundred pages a day! That's... well, that's not only a record, that is a whole new category! In fact, it's a whole new kind of category!
CasCat wrote:Category. I like that.
edfel looks at CasCat.
edfel wrote:meow.
The Pope looks at the First Cleric
The Pope wrote:A lot can be accomplished in very little time, if you have the mind to put to it. Make ready the celebration! Tell the hearalds to sound the ram's horn the highest hills! This is an awesome day!
The First Cleric leaves, and the Pope turns to edfel and hands him the map.
The Pope wrote:Now, about this map.
edfel wrote:It needed updating.
The Pope wrote:Needed updating? We were on Holy Quest, and this obsolete map put the second scribe and I in great danger, perilous peril, and also a bit of a pickle. I was only able to save the day by looking out the window of the BlitzRocket and recognizing a few things from memory. Our second scribe deftly brought the craft home while I was glued to the window, telling her what I thought I saw.
edfel wrote:It needed updating. The second scribe asked to borrow it; I didn't expect you to use it on Quest!
The Pope wrote:Expect? Expect? This is a most Holy Quest! We must be prepared for anything! Even the Spanish Inquisition!
The three of them look at the tent flaps and wait for it, but nothing happens.
edfel wrote:Anyway, I have an updated map. Here. I've drawn lots more lines and labels and symbols and things.
The Pope takes the new map from edfel, and looks at it.
The Pope wrote:Very nice. Very very nice. I especially likes the lines, and the labels. And the symbols. And all the... things.
edfel wrote:I couldn't have said it better myself.
The Pope wrote:Now, if you both will excuse me, I have to make up some badly needed sleep before our pronouncements. It has been an honor.
The Pope leaves through the tent flap, as edfel turns to CasCat.
edfel wrote:Those things have windows?
CasCat wrote:Yes, but I never use them. They show the outside. Very dangerous.
Blackout.
Jose
<--previous (NP 805) / table of contents (on xkcd wiki)

[/spoiler]

<applause! And, yes; windows showing the Outside are unnecessary when one has the One True Thread. (And maybe an edfel to <ahem> snuggle with....)

CasCat
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:21 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:My prediction: Cueball's dream indicates that the brain-eating amoeba induces psychic visions, and these words will become relevant in the coming newpix:
Our rope isn't strong enough. Hold this or you'll fall.

The problem is, the roles are reversed. It's Cueball, not (presumably) Megan as in the dream, that is in danger of falling.
(Unless, of course, something goes horribly wrong when Megan tries to pull Cueball up.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:25 am UTC

I was interpreting it something like, those will be the last words Cueball hears before he plunges to his doom, etc. And that is my silly prediction for this post. Cueball's doom. DEATH EVERYWHERE in the OTC todip, apparently.

azule wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:OMR, thank you for linking to that song! It was hilarious, as was your par-O-TT of it. (I'm trying to get people to use that term, but I guess it really doesn't work that well. :( )
I don't think we're doing parodies, so that's a problem. Weird Al basically remixes the songs he parodies, with either an opposing theme or a similar feel, with the end result that something is made fun of.
Spoiler:
We, I think, filk with more seriousness (even if they're fun and light). They're fan fiction, regardless of it being a story, a song, or an image. Even the data crunching is fiction as we're forced to look at ourselves in a new way that may not actually reflect reality (such as how post count doesn't account for short or image-based creative contributions).

It seems that most definitions of "filk" don't include us, so we do need a new word. But we don't mock our subject, we embrace it, like geeks. A few words to contemplate:
Geektion (like fiction)

I actually think that the song lyrics we post in the OTT fit the definition of parody music. Spaketh Wikipedia: "Parody" in this serious sense continues to be a term in musicological use, existing alongside the more common use of the term to refer to parody for humorous effect...
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:29 am UTC

mscha wrote:
ucim wrote:
Act 1, scene 11 (continued)

I finally found some quiet time to read this properly. Marvellous, as always! Image
I wonder what edfel and CasCat think of it, though... Hmm, we haven't seen edfel in quite a while (and our version of the map has not been updated in quite a while. CasCat has been seen last on FridayH night, so they haven't run off together, it seems... Image

ETA: Sorry, pope, I'm not even going to bother trying to compete. No way I can surpass jjjdavidson's pre-NP entry. (I also need to leave right now for a couple of newpix.)

CasCat is highly amused, with the note that as she is a happily married feline, she is only *snuggling* with edfel.... 8-)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:29 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I was interpreting it something like, those will be the last words Cueball hears before he plunges to his doom, etc. And that is my silly prediction for this post. Cueball's doom. DEATH EVERYWHERE in the OTC todip, apparently.

You've really gone over to the dark side, ever since the final chapters of The Last Time Waiter.
I'm not sure I like the new you. Image (Edit, just in case: just Image)

ETA. Oh, silly prediction. Image

ETA2: Here's my silly predition:
Spoiler:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

LittleBunnyFuFu

Postby LittleBunnyFuFu » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:33 am UTC

Just tossing this out there as an idea but what about it lining up with the solstice? It looks like something big is going to happen soon (top of the mountain) and the solstice is only a few days away. Also the start of 1190 was March 25, just after the equinox. I could easy be way wrong, just tossing it out add an idea.

Little Bunny FuFu

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:40 am UTC

Kudos on whoever (BlitzGirl) predicted the rope!!

ChronosDragon wrote:

Neat! At this point it's been big enough we could make a click-and-drag out of it. Food for thought.
Indeed. With a little coding skills (or stealing of c&d's code) that could be done. Adding zoom-in spots too (like those scenery stone thingies in national parks). :)

BlitzGirl wrote:I actually think that the song lyrics we post in the OTT fit the definition of parody music. Spaketh Wikipedia: "Parody" in this serious sense continues to be a term in musicological use, existing alongside the more common use of the term to refer to parody for humorous effect...
But the connotation wins. If I hold something to my breast, is that going to leave the correct connotation in the ear of a modern listener? So, long response short, we need a word that doesn't carry with it too much baggage. :)

CasCat wrote:CasCat is highly amused, with the note that as she is a happily married feline, she is only *snuggling* with edfel.... 8-)
Is that where he's been? I know how hard it is to escape a snuggling kitty.

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:44 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

She should've *bop*'d the Internet :)

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:48 am UTC

azule wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

Indeed. With a little coding skills (or stealing of c&d's code) that could be done. Adding zoom-in spots too (like those scenery stone thingies in national parks). :)

Or just upload it to zoom.it or a similar service...

azule wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I actually think that the song lyrics we post in the OTT fit the definition of parody music. Spaketh Wikipedia: "Parody" in this serious sense continues to be a term in musicological use, existing alongside the more common use of the term to refer to parody for humorous effect...
But the connotation wins. If I hold something to my breast, is that going to leave the correct connotation in the ear of a modern listener? So, long response short, we need a word that doesn't carry with it too much baggage. :)

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with something with molpy and some synonym for ‘song’ and/or ‘parody’. No luck, though. (‘Molpody’? Naah.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:50 am UTC

fhorn wrote:It's not always my favorite, but sometimes I just want to have a potato pizza.

potato pizza.jpg

eta: Sorry to hear you've had a bad day today, k.bookbinder. Hope a beautiful flutterbeesnake comes your way (no raptor, though, sorry Blitzgirl).

Thanks fhorn! Ooh, I've always wanted to try making a potato pizza, but my wife will have none of it. I shall have to make one in secret, somehow, someday.

lmjb1964 wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:After de-coma'ing, I was very excited to see the appearance of the raptor (though a bit sad for the flutterbeesnake). And when it comes to feathered dinosaurs, I cannot help but put in my $0.02: it was a flycatcher. Since I cannot see the color, nor properly hear its song, this is a best guess. But its size and silhouette is correct, as is its feeding habit (if we are assuming that the encounter with the chirpies are the same species of raptor - which I am). For you Africanists, it could even be this bird.

I'm not convinced about the flycatcher. I feel like the size and shape are wrong. But while looking at flycatchers I saw this guy, and he was so wonderful I just had to share him.

k.bookbinder, I'm sorry it wasn't a good day. I hope everything's ok.

It is always difficult to judge these feathered dinosaurs, based solely on a 2D silhouette. But I will state my argument for a flycather again by posting this. I think there was some discussion in regards to identifying the raptor by comparison of size to the flutterbeesnake that got munched. This video shows, what I believe, is a roughly similar size comparison between this particular species of flycatcher (and most others) and a reasonably sized moth that probably had pretty wings. By the way, that is a beautiful picture of a royal flycatcher. I am partial to flycatchers, as they are some of the most beautiful birds around the world, such as the royal flycatchers on Central and South America, and the Paradise Flycatchers of Asia and Africa. But to travel to Papua New Guinea and to see a bird-of-paradise, in person, in the wild - should I accomplish that I may shuffle off this mortal coil as a wonderfully happy man (that's not to say I'd like to die after seeing one, to be clear).

BytEfLUSh wrote:@k.bookbinder
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:Today has not been a very good one. But it does cheer me up (as always) to see so many wonderful posts here. However, I am pressed for time, but shall obey the Papal Decree calling for pizza re-posting my blue pizza. Blue is not a normal thing for my pizza, but I do so love tomato slices, artichokes, onions, and mushrooms. Also, I tend to use provolone and mozzarella, and a drizzle of olive oil before baking.

Sorry to hear you had a bad day... As soon as I get around my photoshop baking tools I will make you a nice pizza with your favorite ingredients! :)

Anyway, I like tomato. I love it. Just not on my pizza, it kind of gets a weird taste there (at least for me). Artichokes are fine if they aren't too dense. I love onions, those are OK. :) Shrooms I loved when I was a kid... Nowadays I can't eat them, don't know why...

The way to do artichoke on pizza, in my humble opinion (which is never truly humble when stated as such), is to use marinated artichokes halves, then slice them thin and sprinkle around the pizza like shredded cheese (not as much, though). When paired with really tasty tomatoes (not bland supermarket ones) it makes for a wonderfully light tasting pizza. Which helps balance out other heartier flavors like olives, mushroom, and anchovies (yes! I like anchovies on my pizza).

Thanks everyone! You've all cheered me up immensely, and I'm touched by your genuine concern (though not surprised :wink:) Just one of those days at work.

Speaking of bad days, Cueball on the end of a rope fills me with a certain amount of dread. Lest they are careful, Cueball's day may turn worse than my own.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:52 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:@taixzo
taixzo wrote:My favorite pizza toppings? Basil, garlic, artichoke, onions and kalamata olives. No cheese.
Hmm, that combination sounds intriguing, especially since there's no cheese allowed? What kind of pizza is that? :D Well, I'll find out pretty soon! :)

Pizza Marinara! One of the three official pizzas of Naples. (and, uh, I just kind of like the olives and artichokes, so I add them on there.)

mscha wrote:ETA2: Here's my silly predition:
Spoiler:

I literally fell out of my chair laughing at that.

azule wrote:Kudos on whoever (BlitzGirl) predicted the rope!!

ChronosDragon wrote:

BlitzGirl wrote:I actually think that the song lyrics we post in the OT

I did sort of predict it too.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:53 am UTC

I've been posting on and off all day─how can I have so much ketchup to spill?
Covered: Memorials / Timeodies / Toppings / Random / BlitzGirl

Belated congratulations to ucim and taixzo for their winning buttermolpyfacebugbeesnake memorials (for which, having done it first, I was apparently ineligible :P). But I have to say Valarya's was my own favorite. Her dangling ending, though:
Valarya wrote:I hope you're slumbering
peacefully somewhere sweet
flutterbee you'll be
    remembered by us.

Forever one of the
OTC family
Rest in peace molpybug...

Perhaps to others it's obvious what she intended; for me, I can't help adding, Cupcakes for us!

azule wrote:It seems that most definitions of "filk" don't include us, so we do need a new word. But we don't mock our subject, we embrace it, like geeks. A few words to contemplate:
Geektion (like fiction)

None of the usual terms seem quite to apply. Parody, pastiche, homage: these all include a comment on the original work, which we generally do not intend. Contrafactum* is too technical. Filk comes closest, even with its implications of F&SF fandom, because its usage has spread beyond the SF cons; I learned it through the Society for Creative Anachronism, literally around campfires. But we could use a term of our own, to go with the rest of the enormous vocabulary we've created.

jovialbard suggested Timeody a few NP back, and I rather like that. Its clear link to the same Greek root as melody and threnody gives it more of a musical implication than is really appropriate, but nonetheless Timeody fits our dialogue here extraordinarily well.

And I missed the pizza toppings page (very ordinary: red onion, sausage, extra cheese), but:
taixzo wrote:
Angelastic wrote:I also liked that haiku a lot, but I feel like I should choose differently from BlitzGirl, so I will vote for taixzo's double dactyl, because pants often win me over.

Hooray!

My favorite pizza toppings? Basil, garlic, artichoke, onions and kalamata olives. No cheese in my pants.

FTFY.

lmjb1964 wrote:
jovialbard wrote:Ooooooh, and octothorpe as your random word. My random word is the word random. I've used it three times in this sentence, oooooo.

Actually, you didn't use it once in that sentence.

Actually, he used it exactly once in that sentence, just as you did.

BlitzGirl wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:You're happy about the butterflymolpy's demise?!

Absolutely. For the bleeding hearts of newpages 863-4:
Spoiler:
For all that you mourn the loss of the flutterbee as a symbol of beauty in the world, would you have mourned it so fiercely had it not met such an untimely end? I rejoice in the strength of the raptor's wings, its steep and plunging dive, its anticipation and judgement and technique. I celebrate it: wind-rider, air-splitter, acrobat on the breeze. It is a glorious engine of death, bringing the life of the flutterbee so precisely and poignantly to a close. Too often beauty lingers past its time, left behind on a newpix beyond our ken, to spiral into feather-soft memory that slips from our minds as gently as the Fading. No! Not here! Not now! The flutterbee is snatched from life in the instant of its appreciation, glorious, caught forever in a moment most beautiful, soaring gracefully into the heavens on glistening wings. It is our Icarus, breaking the chains of the earthly world in a brief, dooméd ascent. When he gazed into the blazing heart of the sun, what did he see? What if not the glory of a perfect unbecoming, a climactic close, an eternal legend, a symbol of life and loveliness and hope and desire caught forever in that instant of infinity before transcending the chrysalis of its physical shell and joyfully stretching newborn wings under a sky clearer and fresher than any mortal soul will ever know.
You weep at the loss of a pretty bug.
I weep for you, who cannot see how glorious it truly was.

That was gorgeously said. Still, I can't help but picture Randall reading that and saying to himself, "I was just stealing a gag from the opening of Men in Black!"

* Yes, all right, I just learned that word.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

CameronCat

Postby CameronCat » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:58 am UTC

Dear Sis,
I know I haven't written in a while and for that I apologize; just busy I guess. I hope you and the kids are well. I did want to tell you about the new church I've joined and invite you to visit us.

See, for many years I would pass by the Cathedral three times a week and just stick my head in to see what might be going on. Lessons and revelations are presented regularly in the Cathedral of the One True Comic, but the teaching, discussion and philosophizing is conducted immediately adjacent in the Tabernacle. I would cast an eye in there occasionally as well.

But one day, back in March, there came a revelation of Time -- with the dictum "Wait for it" -- that started so much discussion that I just had to hang around for the rest of it. I took a seat in the very last pew of the Tabernacle and have attended almost all of the teachings and discussions. I was firmly (if invisibly) ensconced in the Tabernacle of Time or the One True Thread. (Y'otter totter in with us.)

Others were equally taken and a congregation grew quickly; the group is pretty neat! It's a varied lot, and judging from the name tags I see, quite international and very urbane as well. Although there are some senior members, it seems the average age is young-ish. (Heavens, I think I own some cars older than many regulars.) For many reasons, some of the regulars have fallen away so I thought perhaps I should get up, get a name tag and join the congregation. I’ve noticed some other Cats here too, so maybe I’ll move up to another pew.

You see, each hour another revelation is presented in the Cathedral. A parishioner picks up a copy of the new picture and posts it in the Tabernacle. At the sounding of the sacred ONG, as many as will then assemble in the ToT for speculation, discussion, and no little bit of tomfoolery. The series of pictures from the beginning comprise a story line of the two little characters on a journey. What we have seen so far is not so revealing that we can guess at the ending, and that is a large part of the happenings in the ToT. So, as admonished, we Wait for It.

The congregation is SO varied that no firm doctrine (other than the initial commandment) has evolved. Most of the lessons come from discussions and reference to other writings. Should you miss an ONG, it’s hoped that you’ll perform the revered Ketchup by reading what you missed. If you've missed a lot, you may want to read all of the teachings in order. That's known as a Blitz and a long one may get you a hat awarded for merit. You wear it on your name tag. Hats are usually awarded for exemplary service to the faith, but also occasionally simply on request. The original Hatter has gone out of business but others have risen to the need.

But what an easy going group; I mean they have sects and random texticles and everything! (Oooh, ahhh!) :shock: Many of the sects formed early when the early lectors were predicting how the story would unfold. Some think the tale will loop back to the opening frame; they are the Loopists. Others think it will go on forever (the Eternalists). Some say it will be a metaphor for something in Lord Randall’s life, and this I firmly believe. Therefore, I am a metaphorist.

Which is handy because our little friends in the story recently met a forest, which, symbolically as a refererence might have been a metaforest. Regardless, I cling to the words of a Lector in the Early Church (Angelastic) who said,
Spoiler:
“… I don't think Randall is making us wait and refresh just to say at the end 'HA! Something terrible happened! to me or my wife!' Sure, if enough time passes, people/universes will disappear, and maybe that will happen here, but time will pass first and it will be lovely, poignant, funny, surprising, tedious etc. rather than morbid.”
Other lectors and readers have said much the same.

And Sis, you’d love the Music and Arts committee in the Church of the OTC. There’s people who write new hymns using old tunes to fit the recent teachings; most results are pretty remarkable and some are stunning! Others write adjunct stories or futurist novels, and one has even written a play with cues and everything. (I’m not sure even the best stage manager could call the show off his cue list but that’s an easy fix.)

What’s more, the Literary sub-committee writes poetry and encourages a particular form know as double-dactyls. Most of the submissions are pretty good although some fall to Earth of their own weight. These of course become terradactyls and are not heard from again, a pterrible fate for such strong efforts.

Join us at the church, Sis. When you get there, the password is “caffeinatedbaby…”, er, “raptorsemencancer…,” no, um it’s “molpy-beesnakeflutter…”. Oh, hell! – Just mention bacon and I’m sure they’ll let you in.

All my love,
Cam

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:00 am UTC

throw-ONG rope

Pizza: Fresh clams, EVOO, Roasted Garlic, Parmesan Cheese. Bit of black pepper. (NO tomato sauce, of course, no mozzarella)

I think most of the pizza posters assumed red sauce and mozzarella. You might edit to be sure folks get it.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:05 am UTC

What if...

You *bop*ped an Internet balloon so hard that it travels at 0.9c into the Sun while beaming all Earth-bound lasers towards the Moon? :D

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:07 am UTC

On the filk word replacement, seems most of you'all are limiting it to the songs. I think we're doing the "filk" for all of our content. I might not be able to convince youses. :P

mscha wrote:Or just upload it to zoom.it or a similar service...
That doesn't seem to work well on crap internet connections. Click and Drag did work pretty well with same internet. *shrug*

Ontopix: for some reason the rope throwing makes me giddy.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:20 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:Now, let's have a new Papal decree: Post a silly prediction, do your own fanfic, or try to ONG. :)

Well, charlie_grumbles beat me to the ONG, and I just don't do fanfic (I don't know why; I just never feel the urge to read it or to write it, except for filking [and I just realized, if we're going to adopt Timeody as our new noun, we need a verb form─Timeodying is entirely too awkward a word {and entirely too grim-looking; it fits right in with BlitzGirl's recent "Death to all!" mood}]). So I'll have to come up with a silly prediction:
A giant meowmolpy sees the rope, goes, "String!" and runs away with it, dragging Megball helplessly along.

────────
k.bookbinder wrote:Thanks everyone! You've all cheered me up immensely, and I'm touched by your genuine concern (though not surprised :wink:) Just one of those days at work.

Speaking of bad days, Cueball on the end of a rope fills me with a certain amount of dread. Lest they are careful, Cueball's day may turn worse than my own.

And a belated *hug* from me, as well; the OTC and OTT have been my own escape from work much too often lately. ("Compiling!") But your prediction is yet another sign of the general sense of looming disaster we've all apparently been feeling lately....

mscha wrote:Here's my silly predition:
Spoiler:

That's great! Though of course it'll work better once Cueball's on the other end of the rope.
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:21 am UTC

azule wrote:On the filk word replacement, seems most of you'all are limiting it to the songs. I think we're doing the "filk" for all of our content. I might not be able to convince youses. :P

Ah. Then we're not even sprechen-ing the same language, I guess. I've never tried to group all creative OTT works under a single name.

I've used "songody" a couple of times now for the song lyrics - probably will keep using that until I see a word I like better.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:22 am UTC

Very strange: xkcd/1190 was serving up the previous newpix a moment ago and it has now switched back. I have no explanation, unless my browser reached into the cache somehow.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:23 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:A giant meowmolpy sees the rope, goes, "String!" and runs away with it, dragging Megball helplessly along.

That actually sounds quite plausible.
But, I'd like to see the meowmolpy! :D

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:30 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:throw-ONG rope
Spoiler:

Pizza: Fresh clams, EVOO, Roasted Garlic, Parmesan Cheese. Bit of black pepper. (NO tomato sauce, of course, no mozzarella)

I think most of the pizza posters assumed red sauce and mozzarella. You might edit to be sure folks get it.

My posted favorites work great with tomato sauce, pesto, or even a garlic white sauce. I tend to rotate sauces, but not necessarily toppings.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:33 am UTC

If y'all think that this death-delighting mood of mine is something new, you'd be mistaken. See below for evidence.

BytEfLUSh wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:A giant meowmolpy sees the rope, goes, "String!" and runs away with it, dragging Megball helplessly along.

Many newpages ago (Newpage 617, actually):

Spoiler:
Bonus image of Cueball attacking a molpy:

Attachments bundled since both images were originally uploaded via Poland:
NeatFix.png

CueballSwoop.png
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:38 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:If y'all think that this death-delighting mood of mine is something new, you'd be mistaken. See below for evidence.

BytEfLUSh wrote:

Spoiler:

NeatFix.png

CueballSwoop.png

Oh yes, I for one certainly remember. Such a bad kittle! :D

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:38 am UTC

Here's a movie at 30 fpsH of Time so far. Surprisingly not completely unwatchable...
And with that, I bid youse farecoma.

-----

BlitzGirl wrote:If y'all think that this death-delighting mood of mine is something new, you'd be mistaken. See below for evidence.

But that's Cueball, not some poor flutterbee. His suffering is delightful. Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:50 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:[ketchup edit for pizza toppings]
I'm a ham, pineapple, and cheese kind of guy, but chicken (with bbq sauce) is good also, pumpkin can be interesting, and I once had a very tasty eggs benedict pizza.
Oh yeah and sundried tomatoes and mushrooms are great too.
Ham is nice, I like that! Chicken, too. And you are also suggesting pineapple and pumpkin? Well, I guess I will try that too! Is that a North American thing? I've never seen a pizza with those before. Now I am curious. :)
This is all homemade (oven baked on pizza stones), in Australia. Also some capsicum (diced small) too. My favourite is always the fairly plain Hawaiian style ham cheese and pineapple though. (Oh and some oregano for extra flavour. And lots of cheese (cheddar and/or mozzarella) is mandatory :D

)

So a prediction: Cuegan reach the homes of mountain people and are invited in for a meal. Megan thinks the food is 'interesting' and Cueball says "ugh".
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:53 am UTC

mscha wrote:

But that's Cueball, not some poor flutterbee. His suffering is delightful. Image

For all we know, that flutterbee was the Cueball of the beesnake world. :P After all, it did fly straight up into open air. That seems like a Cueball-esque move.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:57 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:

Spoiler:

The attachment NeatFix.png is no longer available

:D

ETA: I can't seem to manipulate attachments and Outside image embeddings like I used to... Damn kids and their fancy BBCode... :)
Attachments
kitty.gif

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:06 am UTC

mscha wrote:Here's a movie at 30 fpsH of Time so far. Surprisingly not completely unwatchable...

Neat! I love how fluid some of the movement is, especially the, er, fluids. Something we can't appreciate at ~0.0003fps
He/Him/His Image

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:09 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:

Spoiler:

Indeed! I remember that, though I had let it slip my mind. Well done!

mscha wrote:Here's a movie at 30 fpsH of Time so far. Surprisingly not completely unwatchable...
And with that, I bid youse farecoma.]

Wow.
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:10 am UTC

MOSLONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:14 am UTC

CasCat wrote:CasCat is highly amused, with the note that as she is a happily married feline, she is only *snuggling* with edfel.... 8-)

It's interesting the difference one changed vowel could make in that sentence.

Based on empirical data, I only like anchovies if I'm in Italy.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:21 am UTC

Blindposting from end of 865:
AluisioASG and yappo both ended the page of coma-molpies well with fantastic coma-molpies.
AND... ergman's story was awesome! Hope it is merely the first of many installments to come! For ending the new page out with the most complete and intriguing story given during my reign of terror, I appoint you Sir ergman the elegant of 865.

Now I need to ketchup 2 NPs.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:43 am UTC

Wow. That went quick. Now I'm double posting after the LAST ketchup post I made. =/
While ketching, noted the following:
HES wrote:My favourite pizza toppings are these ones:
Spoiler:
But also pineapple.

Valarya wrote:Yay! Cupcakess are in order! But I have to run to crossfit so I don't have time to google. Oh, meant to tell you that your 300-post animation was awesome!

lmjb1964 wrote:And kenmelken, another amazing GIFt!

AAAWWE! :D kenmelken = happy! :')

Hope k.bookbinder's day improves!

Silly prediction: They steal the ark of the covenant and all the Nazis melt.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”