1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlueCrab

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlueCrab » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

The box-shaped object doesn't look like a picnic basket to me, but like a regular basket. Maybe for harvesting the fruit of the tree it was under? Back in the previous scene, though, does it look to anyone else as if there's a pallet (or something linear, anyway) on the short slope between the cairn and the small box?

[exciting times prediction] I think the small box is the top of the lid to an underground chamber, antechamber to an underground complex. The Lizard People are coming, Cuegan, the Lizard People are coming!!!![/exciting times prediction]
Of course, it could just be another box...

Oh my, top ’o the page... I would like to see much speculation about what could be in the shed, please. Try this for amusing inspiration.

Edit to correct from speculation about box to speculation about shed
Last edited by BlueCrab on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:21 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

mscha wrote:ONG, it's a shed!

Now THERE'S a wow!
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Arky

Postby Arky » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Joel? Ellie?
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:
ucim wrote:
moody7277 wrote:Anyone think it means anything that Cuegan are on the near side of the fence, such as that there is a continuation of the fence into the distance where we can't see it?
I am taking the fence as parallel to the screen. There could be a perpendicular section at the border, but if the fence were coming in at an angle (so that it is in the slice for only part of the run), and it were important, I would expect the OTA to indicate this somehow (such as by fading it in). So I think it either doesn't, or it isn't important.

No, I meant it as k.bookbinder was saying. At the left end of the visible fence, I am postulating a section of fence perpendicular to the one we see that goes into the plane of the comic that we don't see because of the 2.5D nature of our view. Such an extension would be required if it were to enclose any livestock that we might see in the next few newpics.

Or not. Image
That's a pretty short, and seemingly useless, fence. But of course, it might be enclosing something (as described above), which is outside of our 2½D ‘slice’, so we'll never get to see it.

If Cuegan doesn't stop to comment on this, then I don't know what's wrong with them.
Last edited by mscha on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:10 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

Called it! :mrgreen:
(Kind of.)

What is it made of, bricks? Rocks? Something with chinks in it, apparently. Might be a bit drafty.

Edit: There's also some kind of pot (with handles) out there in front.
As for box contents, I'm going to go with a molpycat, which may or may not be alive.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Called it! :mrgreen:
(Kind of.)

What is it made of, bricks? Rocks? Something with chinks in it, apparently. Might be a bit drafty.

Stone slabs? Logs, perhaps? Definitely not adequately caulked. Also, can we get an enhance on that little pile in the middle, please? Looks like a tiny cairn, to me.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

I was thinking log cabin? (Ninja'd by k.bookbinder; GMTA.)

A theory: “Oh!” was short for “Oh, look, we're home! We must have walked in a circle somehow, and since we never enter our settlement by climbing the cliff, I didn't recognize it until we were at the top.” The End.
Last edited by mscha on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

mscha wrote:ONG, it's a shed!

The shed's pretty loosely built, like a shearing shed, or maybe just old. What's with the protrusions in the window?

Looks like there's a chimney or maybe a beehive to the right, and a taller wall. What's all the stuff between them and the shed? Another, smaller cairn? Another box, maybe with a lid beside it?

Actually, those first two level bits look rather like eroded sand castles.

BlitzGirl wrote:Edit: There's also some kind of pot (with handles) out there in front.
As for box contents, I'm going to go with a molpycat, which may or may not be alive.

A Schroedinger's molpy! I have a shirt with a picture of a Scroedinger's molpy on it! At least, I think I do... :P

‘a taller wall’ um, yes, I see now that that's the frame frame. Heh, heh
Last edited by BlueCrab on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:16 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

I hope the shed has a working electrical outlet so they can finally recharge their steam bottle.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Stone slabs? Logs, perhaps? Definitely not adequately caulked. Also, can we get an enhance on that little pile in the middle, please? Looks like a tiny cairn, to me.

Molpycairn!

Not sure what those bumps on the window are. Perhaps bricks/building material jutting out from the wall?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

Blindposting from NP871. In Oregon for a week on vacation and won't have net access as often as I do at home. :cry: This means Val will be pulling her first real Blitz upon return. May you waiters wait faithfully and Time continue on forever. You will be missed.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

I think the thing on the far right might be a well. Also, the white shining through the shed makes it seem like it's burnt out and just a free standing wall. Though maybe it is just the inside of the shed and it is colored white to create contrast for texture.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Stone slabs? Logs, perhaps? Definitely not adequately caulked. Also, can we get an enhance on that little pile in the middle, please? Looks like a tiny cairn, to me.

Molpycairn!

Not sure what those bumps on the window are. Perhaps bricks/building material jutting out from the wall?

Remnants of the iron bars, because this is a prison shed. Inside the prison is a banjo. When Cuegan enter the shed, the door shuts and they must play the banjo for an eternity to earn release.

Possibly.

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

Woo! More civilization! Randall sure knows how to regain a crowds attention. Perhaps Cuegan will find something inside the shed, or perhaps They'll walk right past it to the large house that I predict is off to the left somewhere. This looks like a large farm-property to me. I guess I'll find out later in the day, after my LAST EXAM.
Again: wooooo!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Rule110 wrote:The "barbs" on the fence are a bigger mystery. ("Barbed rail fence" does appear to exist, but only as the name of a traditional quilt pattern!) If the barbs represent overlaid wire mesh, then it narrows down the temporal setting of Time a bit more, while also suggesting the husbandry of livestock smaller than holpies or moopies.

Or plant husbandry, if the mesh is to keep small molpies out.

Yeah, that appears much more likely, now that we know the length of the fence is short, more like a kitchen garden than a pasture. I guess I was assuming there would be a longer run. Could still have been a chickraptor or baconmolpy pen, though.

Hmm, without having thought about it I'm already using the past tense. More abandoned stuff?
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

Well is a good call, jovialbard.
What's in the well?
Spoiler:

And now for enhances that are not really enhances but just embiggenings (about 6x):
Structure ENHANCE!
Spoiler:

Front lawn ENHANCE!
Spoiler:

Attachmenting:
Spoiler:
FrontLawnEnhance.png

StructureEnhance.png
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:I think the thing on the far right might be a well. Also, the white shining through the shed makes it seem like it's burnt out and just a free standing wall. Though maybe it is just the inside of the shed and it is colored white to create contrast for texture.

Might be a well, yeah. It's got a gap, too, on the bottom right. I can't picture how a shed made of brick would stay upright with so much mortar gone, though. ETA: if it is wood, it's well-milled; the horizontal gaps are quite straight, and the pattern of gaps is very regular.

I wonder if the small cairn is a medium trebuchet?
Last edited by BlueCrab on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

My very first thought on seeing this scene was, "bombed-out bunker, surrounded by debris from a battle." I hope I'm wrong.

The roofline slants very slightly to the left; is this a flat-roofed shed or a burned-out shell? Too many vertical chinks for log walls, too many chinks altogether for adobe. To me it looks most like walls of short wide planks; old warped planks would explain the uneven profile on the ends. There's an outline to the right suggestive of a door, but if so it's a mighty leaky door.

That window is peculiar; I'd guess there were bars or some kind of grill, now broken out. It could also be posts with protrusions, silhouetted against the window.

I guess I'll wait for it.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

The shed is simply a roughly-made structure with uneven wood slats, or cinder blocks. The protrusions on the window could be horizontal support bars on wooden shutters that are open, turned 90 degrees to us.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

Next theory for the box: Taco stand!
Who wants a taco? I do!
Cuegan probably does, too!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

There's a very regular white patch at the bottom of the third bush from the fence, the first small bush. Artifact from drawing the frame? Something dropped by the Others?

Or maybe AluisioASG's cube?

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

A thought: Whoever built this structure didn't intend for it to keep warm inside, but rather to allow air through. This would indicate a tropical climate. Another plus for the Africanists.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

thirds wrote:The shed is simply a roughly-made structure with uneven wood slats, or cinder blocks. The protrusions on the window could be horizontal support bars on wooden shutters that are open, turned 90 degrees to us.

It reminds me a lot of a clubhouse my brother built long ago, from scraps he scavenged from a construction site. Unfortunately for him, he was unaware that drywall is not intended as outer wall material, and the clubhouse died a dramatic death after the first hard rain.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:There's a very regular white patch at the bottom of the third bush from the fence, the first small bush. Artifact from drawing the frame? Something dropped by the Others?

Or maybe AluisioASG's cube?

It does look rather odd, eh?
BushesENHANCE.png

Bushes ENHANCE!
Spoiler:

There's a little blade of grass or summat in the center of it.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

Hi everyone !!
I pop in just to give some news :)
It appears that a few weeks before defending a phd, a choice has to be made between work and following even the best forum thread of the interweb... so although I'm still Waiting For It, I can no longer try to Read All Of It.
Still... be assured that the map will get regular updates :) (my objective is to update it every 100np at most... especially when they're walking slowly like nowadays).

And I didn't get a chance to post an update last week... because I was exploring moutains and lakes and sight1seeing :-)

Attachments
pyrenees.jpg
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Hi everyone !!
It appears that a few weeks before defending a phd, a choice has to be made between work and following even the best forum thread of the interweb... so although I'm still Waiting For It, I can no longer try to Read All Of It.
Still... be assured that the map will get regular updates :) (my objective is to update it every 100np at most... especially when they're walking slowly like nowadays).

And I didn't get a chance to post an update last week... because I was exploring moutains and lakes and sight1seeing :-)

Ooh! Perhaps we will see snowcaps in the OTC!

How high have they climbed so far?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

Beautiful photo edfel. Good luck on your phd defence, and thanks for all your work on the map!

I predict molpy movement in the next newpix. The two lumps on the mound, after the bushes, look like molpy candidates. Maybe they're sentinels guarding Molpy HQ?

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

mscha wrote:So, not quite a plateau, but definitely leveling off...
Would that cairn indicate the top of the mountain? It might, but it doesn't have to. (The ground to the right is slightly higher, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't marking the summit, perhaps it's just the closest level land that could be found.)
For what it's worth, the above-linked Wikipedia article doesn't mention southern Africa... Image

Wikipedia wrote:One example is a series of many cairns marking British soldiers' mass graves at the site of the Battle of Isandlwana, South Africa.

And, for what it's worth:
Wikipedia wrote:Another is the Matthew Flinders Cairn on the side of Arthur's Seat, a small mountain on the shores of Port Phillip Bay, Australia.

k.bookbinder wrote:Stone slabs? Legos, perhaps? Definitely not adequately caulked. Also, can we get an enhance on that little pile in the middle, please? Looks like a tiny cairn, to me.

Modified this quote to show how I read it at first.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Hi everyone !!

“Defending a phd”, is that what the kids call it these days? Image Give our regards to CasCat.

Nice photo! Good luck with the PhD, and thanks for the continued map updating!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

Good luck, edfel! :)

The fence might be a corral for some kind of molpylife. Or another plant-raising tool, as others suggested. It's too separated from the box to be intended as a fence for the box.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Next theory for the box: Taco stand!
Who wants a taco? I do!
Cuegan probably does, too!

You might be on to something. It's too big to be a Fotomat.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Good luck, edfel! :)

The fence might be a corral for some kind of molpylife. Or another plant-raising tool, as others suggested. It's too separated from the box to be intended as a fence for the box.

Unless the box or boxes escaped, and one was killed in the process. We all know how dangerous some boxes can be...

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

@mscha (and ucim): I deny everything!

@taixko: I don't know how high they are, 'cause I didn't look closely at a panorama for some time now... some professional stitcher would best answer this

@everyone: thanks for the encouragements :)

(edit, btw: the map of ages is updated!)
Last edited by edfel on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

Connecting the pix:

BoxPix.png
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

No molpy activitONG. Image

Note that Cueball walks in between two bushes, one in front, one behind him.
Frame difference:
Spoiler:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

Could be a stable-esque structure. Reminds me of some stone pigsties I have seen before, but am unable to locate an adequate image of, at the moment.

Earthling on Mars wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Stone slabs? Legos, perhaps? Definitely not adequately caulked. Also, can we get an enhance on that little pile in the middle, please? Looks like a tiny cairn, to me.

Modified this quote to show how I read it at first.

Oddly enough, you read it as I intended to write it! I just did not want to bring up that debate again ;)

edfel wrote:@mscha (and ucim): I deny everything!

@taixko: I don't know how high they are, 'cause I didn't look closely at a panorama for some time now... some professional stitcher would best answer this

@everyone: thanks for the encouragements :)

(edit, btw: the map of ages is updated!)

Your mountains definitely blow away my Rainbow falls. Beautiful!

Best of Best Luck to you!!
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

mscha wrote:No molpy activitONG.

*sigh* I have to go don my disguise as a responsible adult now. But I get to peel and cut up some yummy peaches we got last night! Pretending can have its rewards sometimes :D

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

I've figured it out! The Australianists were right all along;They're in Cairns! :D
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

Next theory: Seaish pizza oven!

Yummy yummy! Image

Hmm... I might be a bit hungry. Perhaps I should forage for food before the next ONG arrives.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

It's All Related: math vs. maths.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”