1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

taixzo

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:NewData folks!

No StratPlayer for 9 days... but he did warn us. Poor lmjb... hope you are hanging in there! :-)

Also new words from the last few pages that I'm really surprised had not shown up before:
stacks, renounce, renounced, quenched, mesh, weathering, enhances

And my favorite new word: edgemolpy

comatime

I think "enhances" hadn't been said, but ENHANCE!s had. Does it treat that as a different work? (I would assume so.)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:08 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Also, have a present present: Hatcakes!

My turn:
(person not included)
Last edited by AluisioASG on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:09 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:08 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:That'll go perfect with cueball's scale-model castle! Each would have a different degree of recursion, but each contain the other. Their recursion patterns would sync up harmonically!

Hmm, maybe by building his recursive sandcastle, Cueball inadvertently triggered a recursion loop which whisked the Shed People off into an alternate dimension?

Oh and It's All Related - I came across this yesterday:

Iain M. Banks in The Hydrogen Sonata wrote:The Caconym sometimes envisaged its substrate architecture as a giant castle; a castle the size of an enormous city, the size of a whole world of castles all aggregated together and piled one on top of another until you had a sort of fractal fortress that looked suitably and stonily castle-like from afar, with walls, towers and battlements and so on but which, as you got closer, resolved into something much bigger than it had appeared, as it became clear that each - for example - tower was made up of a conglomeration of much smaller towers, stacked and serried and piled one upon another to resemble a vastly larger one.

R.I.P. Mr Banks, you wild, magnificent nerd.

Edit: Hmmm, awkward. I think I am something of a Disbanderist by nature, but as this papacy has been disbanded multiple times and still keeps staggering ONGward, let's have a zombie-related decree. Zombie predictions, manips or other ZOTTifications please...
Last edited by xpatiate on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:09 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:NewData folks!

No StratPlayer for 9 days... but he did warn us. Poor lmjb... hope you are hanging in there! :-)

Also new words from the last few pages that I'm really surprised had not shown up before:
stacks, renounce, renounced, quenched, mesh, weathering, enhances

And my favorite new word: edgemolpy

comatime

I think you need to check your ONG-detection-formula - I see myself attributed to at least 3 different ONGs that I didn't get.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:44 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:Hmmm, awkward. I think I am something of a Disbanderist by nature, but as this papacy has been disbanded multiple times and still keeps staggering ONGward, let's have a zombie-related decree. Zombie predictions, manips or other ZOTTifications please...

Zombie predictions? Must I now fret over the worry of a zombie, coming up from the soft mound in front of the shed, and rending our heroes limb from limb? I thought worrying about the edgmolpy being a Raptor of the dangerous and vicious kind was bad enough.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:57 am UTC

Spotted this in this week's episode of Horrible Histories:
Spoiler:
blitzgravy.png

We've got ketchup blitz, mayo and fry sauce blitz, but what could Blitz GRAVY be I wonder?
*giggle* That could almost be read as "Butz Gravy"...
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:00 am UTC

LeavONG the hut behind

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:10 am UTC

Time for coma and sweet comallucinations. Coma well all. Hopefully there will be no rending of Cuegan, either by edgemolpy raptor or zombies. For those not about to coma, keep the faith and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Ughmmm...brains...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:10 am UTC

ergman wrote:A present present for bluecrab, complete with bootlegged ball cap!
Spoiler:
image.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock: 8-) :D :lol: I'm not a screamy kind of girl, but the little me inside my head is jumping up and down and squealing with glee :D Thank you thank you thank you, ergman! It's beautiful, I'm going to put it on right away!

ETA Look, I have an avatar! ergman gave it to me, isn't it great?!! And it came ready-made with a hat!!!

(And I loooove that shade of blue!!)(Going to try to calm down now, but I refuse to stop grinning :D) Thank you, ergman!
Last edited by BlueCrab on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:11 am UTC

No, Cue, you are the demons!
And then Cue was a zombie.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:24 am UTC

I really don't have much to add to the conversation at the moment, but I've been missing the OTT. I've gotten hopelessly behind on my reading due to a new job and life in general. I hope all is well; the other day I was overcome by the terrible idea of the OTC ending and I had trouble fathoming it. It's been a part of my daily routine for such a long time, I was having trouble thinking of living my daily routine without it, but luckily it looks like it's just getting started.

Sorry for the bit of negativity. On a lighter note I see the OTT is approaching a (minor) milestone- 1000000 views!

Long live the OTC! Long live the OTT!
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:25 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
Spoiler:
image.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock: 8-) :D :lol: I'm not a screamy kind of girl, but the little me inside my head is jumping up and down and squealing with glee :D Thank you thank you thank you, ergman! It's beautiful, I'm going to put it on right away!

ETA Look, I have an avatar! ergman gave it to me, isn't it great?!! And it came ready-made with a hat!!!

(And I loooove that shade of blue!!)(Going to try to calm down now, but I refuse to stop grinning :D) Thank you, ergman!

OK, real quick before I coma...
Isn't getting hatted so much fun!? My avatar is a special hatted creation as well. Totally original and just for me. Isn't it so much fun!? :mrgreen:

You are a lovely shade of blue, too :D

OK, coma for real this time.

Coma...
Coma...
Coma...
Coma...
Coma...

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:33 am UTC

ttscp wrote:Present for wizpretz (not really random person, not really random present):

You shouldn't have :D :D :D
I've made that my avatar for the sole reason that I need one (and that it's a cool picture). It doesn't really fit my name, but someone would need to make a wizard pretzel for that. I'm waiting...
Attachments
raptorgiftbox.jpg
raptorgiftbox.jpg (3.43 KiB) Viewed 14260 times

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:53 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
Spoiler:
image.jpg
Spoiler:

OK, real quick before I coma...
Isn't getting hatted so much fun!? My avatar is a special hatted creation as well. Totally original and just for me. Isn't it so much fun!? :mrgreen:

You are a lovely shade of blue, too :D

OK, coma for real this time.

Coma...
Coma...
Coma...
Coma...
Coma...

Yes, it surely is! I keep hearing Miranda Richardson's Queen Elizabeth from Blackadder II making her little squeak of delight - tried to find a clip of it, but no luck. Anyone who's a member of the 10,000 on that will simply have to watch an entire episode to find out. :lol: Thank you for the joining me in my happiness, and for the compliment! I wonder if I'll blush a different color?

Also, my lovely bright blue will make finding things on any newpage I post on so easy!

Are we still on the Zombie page? Cuegan will just pull machetes out of their knapsacks of holding, not a problem :wink:

Forgot to say, I quite like your hattiness, too! I really enjoy juvenile fiction, and your avatar reminds me of some Through the Looking Glass illustrations that I've seen - I'll see if I can find images for you.
Last edited by BlueCrab on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:00 am UTC

When LaPetite is revealed to be a zombie, Cueball will say 'ugh' and Megan will say "Neat!"
(This is sure to be wrONG

bending down!
)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:04 am UTC

ha, I pre-emptively fulfilled this papal decree, two whole newpages ago. I truly am a Time traveler:
ergman wrote:for whatever reason this is reminding me of the beginning of resident evil 4. hopefully the thing peeking out from the left hand screen a while ago wasn't an axe wielding maniac.
and I predict that megan will find something in the shed, talk about it, and then leave it there.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:16 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Flado wrote:What is the contribution of Siemens to the sea? I mean, they do so many things...
Rule110 wrote:
Spoiler:

Hmmmm. The other possible images for coffeesemencancerbabies were NSFW?

You mean it is just a pun? pl. of Siemen? Ha-ha. And here I was thinking nuclear plants and just couldn't see a connection to cancer... Oh well, the image is still great!
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:22 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:Yes, it surely is! I keep hearing Miranda Richardson's Queen Elizabeth from Blackadder II making her little squeak of delight - tried to find a clip of it, but no luck. Anyone who's a member of the 10,000 on that will simply have to watch an entire episode to find out. :lol: Thank you for the joining me in my happiness, and for the compliment! I wonder if I'll blush a different color?

*Stephen Fry voice* Bahh, it is much fun, Majesty!

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:44 am UTC

RAZOR agent kenmelken has hereby been dispatched on this NP due to reports of zombie activity.

If you need to see the badge, unlock the spoiler:
Spoiler:

Goodness gracious they're everywhere!!! What kind of crazy pope would unleash zombies all over the OTT???

Well... guess I'd better start observing and relocating all these zombies...

k.bookbinder wrote:Zombie predictions? Must I now fret over the worry of a zombie, coming up from the soft mound in front of the shed, and rending our heroes limb from limb? I thought worrying about the edgmolpy being a Raptor of the dangerous and vicious kind was bad enough.

Don't worry friend, those two threats particularly happen to be our specialty.

Eternal Density wrote:No, Cue, you are the demons!
And then Cue was a zombie.

Zombie-Cue has been officially relocated to: Kazakhstan

Eternal Density wrote:When LaPetite is revealed to be a zombie, Cueball will say 'ugh' and Megan will say "Neat!"

Zombie-LaPetite has been officially relocated to: The Falkland Islands

ergman wrote:ha, I pre-emptively fulfilled this papal decree, two whole newpages ago. I truly am a Time traveler:
ergman wrote:for whatever reason this is reminding me of the beginning of resident evil 4. hopefully the thing peeking out from the left hand screen a while ago wasn't an axe wielding maniac.
and I predict that megan will find something in the shed, talk about it, and then leave it there.

This zombie is only hypothetical, but just in case... I hereby relocate it to: The dwarf planet Ceres

Edit: Avatar now proudly wearing RAZOR badge. :)
Last edited by kenmelken on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:46 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:Edit: Hmmm, awkward. I think I am something of a Disbanderist by nature, but as this papacy has been disbanded multiple times and still keeps staggering ONGward, let's have a zombie-related decree. Zombie predictions, manips or other ZOTTifications please...

Especialy suitable, since in Belgium the word "zot" is used as strange/weird/crazy/insane.

Are gost versions allowed to? They are much closer to my heart since NP836.
Sadly I am not so good in telling stories, but I'll give it a try. Coming soon.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:00 am UTC

I'm feeling kinda lonelONG
A spade?

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:01 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I'm feeling kinda lonelONG
Spoiler:

A spade?

More importantly: a bucket

And not just any old bucket, it looks like your stereotypical plastic pail. I think we've firmly cemented the comic's time period in the near past/present/future.

ETA: Yeah, this has been in the past few frames actually. But it's clearer what it is now, and no one mentioned it.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:04 am UTC

Ketching up quick, like a raptor...
Spoiler:

Rule 110's speculation on "where have all the people gone" made me look for this frame again:
Spoiler:

For the sake of the pagepope, I blame it on zombies. Here's a stockpile of zombie smileys for the newpage:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

charlie_grumbles wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened, too. Don't let me near scissors (or axes, or chainsaws, etc. etc.); it will only end in tears dribbling out of your one remaining eye. Image

You are wicked1.732050807568 with the tiny animations, though.

1.732050807568Superlative good. Best. Finest kind. ( A saying from The Great State of Maine)

Image Yay!

Eternal Density wrote:Here's a present present for you!
Spoiler:

Whee! :D Present present! *flip-steps about happily on her one black-and-white thong* Image

k.bookbinder wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:Blindposting from lots of pages back. I don't even know how many.

k.bookbinder wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:My Favorite Things
(to the tune of "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music)
River that's small and the Sea big and massive
Silent beret girls that seem so impassive
Recursive Sandcastles suited for kings
Just look at Time for my favorite things

Pokeymolps rolling up into small boodles
Squirpys and chirpys and beesnake path-doodles
Raptors that catch flutterbees on the wing

Neattrees and weirdtrees and wowtrees with scratches
Cuegan together hike smooth and rough patches
Trebuchet action, the pebbles it flings

When you ketchup
When the ONG dings
When it gets quite Mad
The OTT looks for my favorite things
Wait more and you'll feel quite glad

Words cannot begin to express my absolute love for this OTTification. I do not know that I could adequately describe the joy that this song has brought me. Thank you.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Exactly what bookbinder said. Exacly. Soooo fantastically brilliant.
Bad day at work? (Yes, I have many) I sing this in my head and it really does cheer me up. It really is one of my favorite things!

Y'all are so awefulsome. Image I'm glad I can help cheer you up!

Valarya wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The Lone Sandcastle
(to the tune of "The Lonely Goatherd" from The Sound of Music) <snip>

*giant jaw dropping emoticon here* (posting from tablet)
I love you.

Climb Ev'ry Mountain
(to the song of the same title from The Sound of Music)
Spoiler:
Climb every mountain,
Watch rivers1 flow
Join the raptor flyway
Point and call out "Oh!"

Climb every mountain,
Murmur your dream,
Watch the way the molps go
And still walk upstream

A stream that will lead
To sights you can't believe
Don't put thatε in your mouth
You can be so naive!

Climb every mountain,
Murmur your dream,
And still walk upstream

A stream that will lead
To sights you can't believe
Don't put thatε in your mouth
You can be so naive!

Climb every mountain,
Murmur your dream,
And still walk upstream!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:08 am UTC

Wow BlitzGirl, you're making a lot of work for RAZOR!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:08 am UTC

I think it's time for some profesoinal enhasement

ENHASE!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:12 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Wow BlitzGirl, you're making a lot of work for RAZOR!
Have to keep them on their toes, right? Image

And OMR, a shovel and pail. A shovel and pail!!

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:15 am UTC

Prediction: Cuegan will make sandcastles.

Spoiler:
As a defense against zombies.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:19 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:For the sake of the pagepope, I blame it on zombies. Here's a stockpile of zombie smileys for the newpage:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Baah! So many zombies! I hereby relocate these ones to the following locations, in order of the zombies shown, from left to right: Burkina Faso, Mars, The Mariana Trench, the center of the sun, Provo, Mt. Everest, Antarctica, BlitzGirl's refrigerator, Venus, Newfoundland, a mason jar full of pickles, pope xpatiate's closet

(Btw, BlitzGirl--loved the Mountain song!)

So... I don't know how many more zombies will appear on the NP before the current zombie-apocalypse ends, but on the Outside I have not coma'd in 42 newpix, so I think I should probably do that before my immune system starts shutting down (that's always a pain...).

This means other RAZOR agents (i.e. lmjb1964 or her house-molpy) may need to help clean up whatever zombie carnage lies ahead.

EDIT: Ha! This one thought it could escape:
BlitzGirl wrote:Have to keep them on their toes, right? Image

Nope. I hereby relocate it to: The Sea of Tranquility
Last edited by kenmelken on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:21 am UTC

Whoa kenmelken, sounds like you need an emergency coma, stat!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:24 am UTC

*goes to get midnight snack*
Why is there a zombie in my refrigerator? Image

Thanks, kenmelken! Now go coma before I set this new zombie I found on you.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:27 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:*goes to get midnight snack*
Why is there a zombie in my refrigerator? Image

Thanks, kenmelken! Now go coma before I set this new zombie I found on you.

[singing voice="Laura Shigihara"]There's a zombie in your fridge.
There's a zombie in your fridge.
There's a zombie in your fridge.
We don't want zombies in the fridge.[/singing]

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:35 am UTC

*dances to zombie song*

Perhaps Cuegan have stumbled upon the ruins of a primitive Sandcastle-making society. Once these people lived in peace, constructing Sandcastles using crude implements such as shovels and pails. But soon they fancied themselves too good for such pasttimes, and started building soulless boxes instead of pure, semencoffeecancerbabies structures. Little did they know that zombies are attracted to soulless boxes...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:38 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:*dances to zombie song*

Perhaps Cuegan have stumbled upon the ruins of a primitive Sandcastle-making society. Once these people lived in peace, constructing Sandcastles using crude implements such as shovels and pails. But soon they fancied themselves too good for such pasttimes, and started building soulless boxes instead of pure, semencoffeecancerbabies structures. Little did they know that zombies are attracted to soulless boxes...

Like attracts like, as they say. Except in the case of electromagnetic forces. But zombies are not magnets, so the first rule applies.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:43 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Like attracts like, as they say. Except in the case of electromagnetic forces. But zombies are not magnets, so the first rule applies.

Zombie magnets? Are those like chick magnets? Cueball doesn't seem to be the latter (hasn't gotten any action from Megan, anyway) but perhaps he's the former?

Image Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:47 am UTC

The promised story:
To be revised/rewritten
In a small village near the coast Queball and Megan live. Queball is a wizard. Villagers come to him with all kinds of problems, but he is renowed for his healing skills. From all over the country people come to him with after accidents and with diseases and malformations. He can cure them all.
Spoiler:
One day a man enters the village. He is sick so he is brought to Queball. Queball battles with the man's disease for days, while usually he can cure everything within minutes, most problems within seconds. The battle with the disease nearly kills Queball. Alas, his hard work is for naught: the man dies in agony. The vilagers are shocked, for it has been years since Queball has lost a patient that wanted to live. People only died because they were dead before Queball was with them or of old age (and then only if they didn't want to live anymore). Was Queball losing his power?
In the folowing days people start ariving. People with the same symptoms as the man that died. Queball starts researching in ways to save them, for he can not save them with the powers he has under his command. He orders books from all over the country, most are send to him as soon as possible, for the country knows they need him to solve the disease. He reads, experiments and tries, but he can do no more than remove the pain from the victems.
One dark night, a powerfull thunderstorm arrives over the sea. Queball retreats to his study, lights a couple of candles and continues on his quest. *knock knock*. Queball looks up: "what kind of idiot would go out in this weather?". *knock knock*. As Queball opens the door he is nearly knocked down by the wind and rain. Ghastly weather out today. There is no one at the door. As he looks around to see what the reason is for the knocks he notices a book. It's bound in black leather. It lies in a shadow in the light from his door. As he picks it up, the shadow seems to come with the book, where it lay no shadow can be seen, but his hands seem to be in a shadow. He brings it in, curious. Somehow an unheimlich feeling creeps over him. He puts the book in a shelf and continues with the book he was reading. After a few pages he realises the current book isn't in his mind, but the strange black book is. What could it be? He stores his current book away and opens the black book. The book speaks about a powefull form of magic. A form of magic that can be used to change some things that harm into things that heal. Not wounds, only harming magic. The spells he reads get more and more complicated as he advances in the book.
The next day he starts experimenting on the sick. They are all to willing to be experimented upon, for while his subjects usually die as quickly as the other sick he removes pain from their deathbed.
His experiments do not go as he had hoped. While the spells from the black book slow the advancement a little, they also remove the effect of his pain removal. He abandons the book.
Months of research follow. He finds nothing.
Then his beloved wife Megan falls sick, with the same disease that has plagued the country. He knows she will die if he doesn't find anything. He removes her pain, but he can't do no more.
Queball doesn't sleep, he researches.
Queball doesn't eat, unless it's brought to his study.
After a long deathbed Megan dies. Queball is torn to pieces by the loss. After the funeral he starts reading in the black book again. That night he finds a new page in the book, one that couldn't have been there before. It describes a spell. A very complicated spell. A spell to bring back the dead. A spell to bring back his beloved Megan.
He starts working, the preparations taking days. He brings Megan's body to a cave near the sea, where he can work in peace. One night he succedes: she moves.
But the Megan that returns is not the megan he loved. Long nightly discussions will become impossible, for she seems to have a limited vocabulary. Her hands are no longer the hands of a healer, for she bites her patients. She repeats one word all over and over
Megan wrote:Braaaains

Oops, I wrote a zombie story after all
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:06 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:The promised story:
To be revised/rewritten
In a small village near the coast Queball and Megan live. Queball is a wizard. Villagers come to him with all kinds of problems, but he is renowed for his healing skills. From all over the country people come to him with after accidents and with diseases and malformations. He can cure them all.
Spoiler:
One day a man enters the village. He is sick so he is brought to Queball. Queball battles with the man's disease for days, while usually he can cure everything within minutes, most problems within seconds. The battle with the disease nearly kills Queball. Alas, his hard work is for naught: the man dies in agony. The vilagers are shocked, for it has been years since Queball has lost a patient that wanted to live. People only died because they were dead before Queball was with them or of old age (and then only if they didn't want to live anymore). Was Queball losing his power?
In the folowing days people start ariving. People with the same symptoms as the man that died. Queball starts researching in ways to save them, for he can not save them with the powers he has under his command. He orders books from all over the country, most are send to him as soon as possible, for the country knows they need him to solve the disease. He reads, experiments and tries, but he can do no more than remove the pain from the victems.
One dark night, a powerfull thunderstorm arrives over the sea. Queball retreats to his study, lights a couple of candles and continues on his quest. *knock knock*. Queball looks up: "what kind of idiot would go out in this weather?". *knock knock*. As Queball opens the door he is nearly knocked down by the wind and rain. Ghastly weather out today. There is no one at the door. As he looks around to see what the reason is for the knocks he notices a book. It's bound in black leather. It lies in a shadow in the light from his door. As he picks it up, the shadow seems to come with the book, where it lay no shadow can be seen, but his hands seem to be in a shadow. He brings it in, curious. Somehow an unheimlich feeling creeps over him. He puts the book in a shelf and continues with the book he was reading. After a few pages he realises the current book isn't in his mind, but the strange black book is. What could it be? He stores his current book away and opens the black book. The book speaks about a powefull form of magic. A form of magic that can be used to change some things that harm into things that heal. Not wounds, only harming magic. The spells he reads get more and more complicated as he advances in the book.
The next day he starts experimenting on the sick. They are all to willing to be experimented upon, for while his subjects usually die as quickly as the other sick he removes pain from their deathbed.
His experiments do not go as he had hoped. While the spells from the black book slow the advancement a little, they also remove the effect of his pain removal. He abandons the book.
Months of research follow. He finds nothing.
Then his beloved wife Megan falls sick, with the same disease that has plagued the country. He knows she will die if he doesn't find anything. He removes her pain, but he can't do no more.
Queball doesn't sleep, he researches.
Queball doesn't eat, unless it's brought to his study.
After a long deathbed Megan dies. Queball is torn to pieces by the loss. After the funeral he starts reading in the black book again. That night he finds a new page in the book, one that couldn't have been there before. It describes a spell. A very complicated spell. A spell to bring back the dead. A spell to bring back his beloved Megan.
He starts working, the preparations taking days. He brings Megan's body to a cave near the sea, where he can work in peace. One night he succedes: she moves.
But the Megan that returns is not the megan he loved. Long nightly discussions will become impossible, for she seems to have a limited vocabulary. Her hands are no longer the hands of a healer, for she bites her patients. She repeats one word all over and over
Megan wrote:Braaaains

Oops, I wrote a zombie story after all

Riveting! Tragic and depressONG, yet beautiful at the same time

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:09 am UTC

Great story! Image
Hmm. Cueball is wondering this newpix if maybe somebody used a shovel to bury a molpybody, then put a tiny cairn over top. (The zombiemolp rose from the dead shortly afterward.)

Seems like this newpage is almost full of posts, so I'd better set off my zombie smile-pocalypse now:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Good luck, RAZOR. Ready for zombie whack-a-molp? Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:16 am UTC

There was a zombie in my fridge, I didn't invite it
It was moaning "brains!" for days and kept me up all night
Zombie in my fridge
Zombie in my fridge

I kicked him out, he seemed okay
I guess zombies are dead anyway
Within an hour he snuck back in
His raptor friends had come with him!

Zombie in my fridge
More pesky than a midge
Wears his entrails for a scarf
Oh Zombie, you're having a laugh!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:25 am UTC

Image Bravo, yappo!

Some zombie stragglers: Image Image Image Image Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:59 am UTC

Woo! A zombie story, a zombie song and a bunch of gruesome zombie smileys! You guys are awesome :D Image

ChronosDragon wrote:More importantly: a bucket

And not just any old bucket, it looks like your stereotypical plastic pail. I think we've firmly cemented the comic's time period in the near past/present/future.

ETA: Yeah, this has been in the past few frames actually. But it's clearer what it is now, and no one mentioned it.

I think it was taken for a pot with handles earlier on. The appearance of a spade-like thing definitely tilts the interpretation towards bucket though. But, of course, we have seen buckets before...

Spoiler:
Image]

So I don't think that affects the chronological setting - it could be made of plastic but I don't think it necessarily is. Like the tents, it's something that usually is made out of modern materials these days, but was around a long time before they were.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”