1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

help-ONG

Earthling on Mars wrote:Oh. Wait.
Well, we don't want that, do we?
Oh well. Carry on.

Showing your wisdom, young grasshopper.

--
@ChronosDragon. Save me some cake, please.

Edict of the new Pope-Onger. Speculation is desired on how many newpix will they build. Will it be less than 100, more?

Speculation is desired on which way they will exit if/when they do. Left, right, away, towards us?

Wild speculation on other topics also admitted to the canon.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

HES

Postby HES » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:(And I'd be a sir, at least if 18 is old enough to be called sir)

21 is old enough to be called sir twice in the same sentence, and he wasn't even trying to sell me anything

ergman wrote:I can sense them being tempted to resume their old, sandcastle building ways here.

Only a little one though. And then the view zooms in.......
(I renounce this theory as I am not a loopist)
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

“Here” what? Flag? Don't think so, at least not one of the beach flags. Too small.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Wow. I had not spotted that. The difference between 2217/2218 (Book of Aubron) is huge. There is something definitely kind of large hiding in that bush. And it's very epsilon as you put it, what with all that activity to the left.

(Aubron uses incorrect frame numbers: subtract 3 (at least for the last couple of mix) to get canonical numbers. Or use the Book of Geekwagon.)
Here's an update including the two latest newpix. Activity is decreasing, but it's still there.
Spoiler:

My guess is that these are molbees (not to be confused with common molpies or beesnakes) that pollinate the molpyberrybushes.

charlie_grumbles wrote:help-ONG
Spoiler:

Flags10!

10: tiny
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:It has come to my attention that we have competing standards for how to refer to the pair in the OTC: some say Cuegan, some say Megball. I propose we standardize it by merging them. Cuegan + Megball = ...
Oh. Wait.
Oh well. Carry on.

This made me laugh, perhaps more than it should have. As if my co-workers were not already concerned about my present mental state (and not the sympathetic kind of concern). :mrgreen:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Earthling on Mars wrote:Oh. Wait.
Oh well. Carry on.

Showing your wisdom, young grasshopper.

--
@ChronosDragon. Save me some cake, please.
Edict of the new Pope-Onger. Speculation is desired on how many newpix will they build. Will it be less than 100, more?
Speculation is desired on which way they will exit if/when they do. Left, right, away, towards us?
Wild speculation on other topics also admitted to the canon.

Less.
At a 45 degree angle between right and away from us. Thus offering an interesting view and a new slice of the terrain each newpix.
Today, at least one rain drop will fall on the head of every true TimeWaiter.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

Megan's pretty much done restoring the sandcastle; at most a few newpix. Then, a bit of dialogue, followed by them continuing their journey to the right.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

Were I the story teller, I would not dwell much on building another sandcastle. We've seen this before, and it would not really serve much function in the story line. Nor is there much sand anyway. They may decide to build a "Cuegan was here" sandcastle, in which case I'd still expect it to be fewer than 100 frames.

I don't think this is where La Petite lives. I don't think La Petite will feature directly in the story for a while. To re-introduce her now, as the first "other person" we (and they) would see, would tend to make the story a bit claustrophobic in the sense that it would shrink our impressions of the outside world. There are others. I expect to meet them. Only after that has happened, and we have established the scope of the cast, would I expect to see the return of a minor (though intriguing) bit part.

When you consider the OTA's other comics, the characters don't always behave in a realistic manner, but they do always have versimilitude. Within the universe of the comic, they are behaving as realistic stick-figure cast members. This is true of other art forms too - in real life, how many people burst out into song and dance while they are crossing the street in the rain? Happens in musicals all the time, and we don't bat an eyelash.

That said, they are on a hike of perhaps several days or more, with nothing but what's in their backpacks, which they conveniently had handy while at the beach. We take it on faith that that is enough, because they do.

I predict they will not exit whence they came. I'm not sure about a scene change; I don't think one is warranted yet. So, I'll go with 66% chance of exiting to our right, 33% chance of a camera shift, and a 1% chance of a raptor attack.

I wonder if the bushes are just wavering in a breeze, though if so, I'd expect the tops to waver more. So, I am more inclined towards molpy action. I doubt it's big (it's not opaque enough) but if riverish, it would need to be multiple.

Feathered raptors feeding on molpyberries maybe?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Lovers of gifs and stereograms: I'm about to change your life with this animated gif stereogram of a shark-molpy swimming through water. Absolutely amazing! Unlock the spoiler for awesome. *WARNING: somewhat jarring visual at first. If you have seizures, maybe don't open this spoiler*
Spoiler:
Last edited by kenmelken on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

ucim wrote:molpyberries maybe?

pompomegran.jpg
pompomegran.jpg (18.12 KiB) Viewed 12678 times
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

more build-ONG with flags

mscha called it.

kenmelken wrote:awesome.

Yep

Late edit to add ZoomanSP actually called it. mscha denies all responsibility. Sorry for the mixup. Maintaining my perfect 600 score with this back edit.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:14 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:more build-ONG with flags
Spoiler:
mscha called it.

I disagree.
mscha wrote:“Here” what? Flag? Don't think so, at least not one of the beach flags. Too small.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha called it.

I disagree.
mscha wrote:“Here” what? Flag? Don't think so, at least not one of the beach flags. Too small.

Oooo-kay

And, welcome me to the 600 club (perish the thought of that, actually)http://www.the600club.com
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Montov

Postby Montov » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

It's probably one of those adorable cocktail flags. Maybe a Madagascar flag.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:And, welcome me to the 600 club (perish the thought of that, actually)http://www.the600club.com

Welcome!
Here, have some of ChronosDragon's cake.

ETA: I wonder what's up with Cueball's half a sentence... I guess we'll have to you know what for almost a newpix to find out.
Last edited by mscha on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

ucim wrote:When you consider the OTA's other comics, the characters don't always behave in a realistic manner, but they do always have verisimilitude verysillymitude.

Fixed that for you (couldn't resist).

Prediction: because they left the sea to explore the mountains, they will find the cause of the rising sea. And it will become obvious that they would never have found the cause by walking along the sea shore.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha called it.

I disagree.

I did! :P
ZoomanSP wrote:
Spoiler:

Flags10!

10: tiny
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Lovers of gifs and stereograms: I'm about to change your life with this animated gif stereogram of a shark-molpy swimming through water. Absolutely amazing! Unlock the spoiler for awesome.
Spoiler:

Love it! It took a minute to get the focus (I haven't stared at a 3d picture in ages), but I was very pleased once I got there.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

For Montov:
Montov wrote:It's probably one of those adorable cocktail flags. Maybe a Madagascar flag.
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

mscha wrote:ETA: I wonder what's up with Cueball's half a sentence... I guess we'll have to you know what for almost a newpix to find out.

Is that bush meowply still around? about to interrupt them?
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Lovers of gifs and stereograms: I'm about to change your life with this animated gif stereogram of a shark-molpy swimming through water. Absolutely amazing! Unlock the spoiler for awesome.
Spoiler:

Oh god, I can't even do a normal stereogram, not to mention a moving one!

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Very cool :shock: I think I've perfected my stereogram-viewing skills.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

HES wrote:
mscha wrote:ETA: I wonder what's up with Cueball's half a sentence... I guess we'll have to you know what for almost a newpix to find out.

Is that bush meowply still around? about to interrupt them?

Yup, gholpy is still there:

Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Ray Kremer

Postby Ray Kremer » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Holy cow, that's awesome! I thought maybe it would be difficult to get the defocus distance correct because with the background in motion it is impossible to get a reference point, but it dialed in very easily, perhaps because of the motion.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:
It has come to my attention that we have competing standards for how to refer to the pair in the OTC: some say Cuegan, some say Megball. I propose we standardize it by merging them. Cuegan + Megball = ...
Oh. Wait.
Oh well. Carry on.

Megacueganball? Sounds unnecisarily complicated, but does give them some awesome transformers(or lottery) overtones.
Last edited by Dracomax on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

Spoiler:

I think my eyes are bleeding now (figuratively). Also, I can only do these inverted, that is by crossing my eyes and getting an image that goes into the page. It's much easier to do it that way, I don't know why all of these things aren't just inverted images.

On the predication front:
They are definitely going to go check out that stream, possibly follow it, they might find another wowterfall after all.
I have a hard time believing that the bush action is a person, the grass doesn't seem to be high enough to hide a person that easily. Though it is weird that it seems to be following them, so I could be wrong, and if it were LaPetite then she might be small enough to hide among the grass.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Personally, I'm predicting the structure on top of the mountain is a Starbucks, but what do I know?

I do wonder where all the mountain people went.
“have i gone mad?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

I feel OTT-old. Bejabbers and thunderation! :D
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Image

Congratulations! You're now the OTM. Official Time Matron.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

Congrats. You post more often than me. other inane statements.
“have i gone mad?

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Image

Hooray!!!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

Spoiler:

I think, perhaps, that this may yet be a level of awesomeness I have not yet experienced :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think I may be having trouble blinking now :shock:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:
ucim wrote:When you consider the OTA's other comics, the characters don't always behave in a realistic manner, but they do always have verisimilitude verysillymitude.

Fixed that for you (couldn't resist).

Prediction: because they left the sea to explore the mountains, they will find the cause of the rising sea. And it will become obvious that they would never have found the cause by walking along the sea shore.
Dracomax wrote:Personally, I'm predicting the structure on top of the mountain is a Starbucks, but what do I know?

I do wonder where all the mountain people went.

Maybe they will figure out that snowmelt from the mountains is causing the sea to rise.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

Happy 1000th, BlitzGirl! May the next 1000 posts be as creative, insightful, funny, flame quenching and group building as the first 1000. Image

Here are some cupcakes, cakes and cookies for you (to share).
Spoiler:
(You may have to actually make them yourself...)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Look out! ONG!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Gholpy attack!!!

I think the gholpy is the edgemolpy from a few newpages back.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

OMR, what now???? And we have to .... Wait for it????!!!? :shock:
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

What the ONG?

Spoiler:

Too exciting not to be ninja'd.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

thirds

Postby thirds » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

Is it a baby rhinoceros???

It's a baby rhinoceros isn't it?

I knew it.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

Spoiler:

I...I...I DID IT!

It's beautiful :D

I really had to work for it, though. I put the window on my second monitor, faced that towards the far wall (so there was something in the distance to look at), stared at the far wall and gradually moved my eyes over. Took a couple tries, but it finally clicked! Woo! *feels proud of himself*

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”