1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

BlitzGirl hit 1000? Does this mean I'm no longer #1, and can feel safe to post again finally?

Still nowhere near catching up, but just wanted to time-jump forward to say yeah, I noticed that nose 39 hours ago, and I've been waiting for its reappearance ever since. I must admit, I was kind of expecting it to be a stick-figure human who was associated with the building, but the nose appearance didn't mesh well with that hypothesis.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

OK, I might have a dark & silly prediction. It's actually LaPetite - she turns into some sort of felinemolpy and beheads people who wander too far. She then brings their heads back to the beach (as seen in one of the last frames of Fadeout) where she collects them as trophys.

ETA:

Angelastic wrote:So now they're going to throw their hands up and exclaim, 'You're a kitty!', right?

Yep. :)

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

Size estimate:

About 1 cue.
A bit too big for a fossa. (“Adults have a head-body length of 70–80 cm (28–31 in) ...” according to the wikis.)

--------------------

KarMann wrote:BlitzGirl hit 1000? Does this mean I'm no longer #1, and can feel safe to post again finally?

You haven't been #1 for a long, long time. :)
Welcome back!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

This is where we discover that "it" refers to Megan and Cueball being violently torn asunder.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

CameronCat

Postby CameronCat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

Wow. I miss services for a couple dips and the Temporal Revelation takes an unusual twist. (Had to use a whole bottle of CatchUp to get here, too.) Glad to see the Tabernacle is still standing.

Not to disagree with the Elders and Lectors, but using only the facts in evidence, we see that the Crittermolpy is roughly waist-high on Cue...a sizeable animal. Cue is either grabbing or pushing Meg to protect her or at least reposition her for safety, even if only momentarily. The critter -- possibly a meowmolpy -- is not yet fully identified. When enlarged, Mscha's excellent detail study could be revealing a woofmolpy; the pug nose and stocky body tend to argue against the meowmolpy theory.

Either way, the whatever-it-is-molpy looks to be back on its haunches and little bit "up in the shoulders." Is it preparing to leap, or getting ready to become defensive by rearing up? Was it summoned by the spirit that haunts the small castle? Was its food bowl the broken one in the shed? Can't wait for the next few newpix.

And a belated hat-tip and a big OTT hug to Blitzgirl on achieving a posting milestone. BG, your writing, knowledge and humor are much of what keeps many of us coming back here. Long may you wave, and here's to the next thousand. *lifts glass of Glenfiddich and faces in your direction. Drinks it for you, too.*
Last edited by CameronCat on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apprentice Curmudgeon by appointment to the Order of the Holy Contradiction
Knight Luminary and Second Prelate of the Proscenium
It's all related

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

Thanks, CameronCat (et al)!

Another embiggening:
Spoiler:
Kitty.png

I still think it's a cat. Its profile is very leopard-esque (though it's way too small for that).
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

OK, yes, that's a big kittle, if a molpycat it be. But I must leave and shall not know the conclusion to his exciting moment for several newpix! :shock: :(
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Another embiggening:
Spoiler:

How'd you do that? You brought out detail (ear, legs) that weren't in the original... (You must really have CSI ENHANCE! skills.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

I'm still ketching up on page 884 but I don't want to miss my chance of posting on page triple eight because terminators. (Also I've seen a car a couple of times this week with the plates "SG 888" which obviously means something important, possibly related to StarGate.)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Another embiggening:
Spoiler:

How'd you do that? You brought out detail (ear, legs) that weren't in the original... (You must really have CSI ENHANCE! skills.)

I didn't do it - my Photoshop does it for me automatically when I enlarge images. *shrug*
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

I'd just like to tentatively welcome Vytron to the comic. Here is a cake for you:

Spoiler:

(edited because although I actually was looking for that particular post so I'd also know who the dissimulated cat was, I didn't realise I'd actually found it, so I put the wrong name. It's too bad nobody claimed 'something disguised as a cat', because they could have a chance here.)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:For the doubters, the loopists, and the dreamers (and me, la la la la la la la... why are there so many songs about molpies, and where they're endemic to? Molpies are pixels, that cause us confusion. Molpies don't have to be true… but I digress), I present They went to build towers, to the tune of She went to pick flowers by Mara Levi (a song I like enough to have made a music video for, which happens to feature sandcastles.) The original doesn't have a lot of rhymes, which makes it almost too easy to ottify, but for want of constraints I did kind of make it rhyme with and follow the you/they sort of structure of the original in a lot of places. Still, it's a bit rough; I just wanted to pay forward the present presents and stuff before going to coma.

You timing for posting this is lousy, which is a shame, because this is an amazing ottification! Image Image
Also, cool video!

Y'all, if you missed this in all the excitement, you have to go back for this.
Last edited by mscha on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:59 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks, CameronCat (et al)!

Another embiggening:
Spoiler:
Kitty.png
I still think it's a cat. Its profile is very leopard-esque (though it's way too small for that).

My best cat reference gives the body length of leopards as "3 ft to 6 ft 4 in (91 to 190 cm)". I'd eyeball this one to be about .75-.8q, perhaps 4-4½ feet. For the moment, I'm going with leopard.

And welcome back, KarMann! We've been wondering where you were. (Of course, you just shot your "regularity" score all to heck.)
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Lovers of gifs and stereograms: I'm about to change your life with this animated gif stereogram of a shark-molpy swimming through water. Absolutely amazing! Unlock the spoiler for awesome.
Spoiler:

I think, perhaps, that this may yet be a level of awesomeness I have not yet experienced :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think I may be having trouble blinking now :shock:

I looked at your avatar's boring face right after reading "level of awesomeness I have not yet experienced". Hilarious :lol:

Also, belated congrats on 1000 posts Blitzgirl, it'll be amazing how many posts you have by the time the OTC is finished (or starts looping).

Anyways, I don't think the molpycat is going to hurt Megacueganball, it just wants to play (but not like it does with a mouse). We'll probably find out if I'm right in just a minute.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

FACEMOLPYONG!!!
Last edited by HES on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Angelastic wrote:For the doubters, the loopists, and the dreamers (and me, la la la la la la la... why are there so many songs about molpies, and where they're endemic to? Molpies are pixels, that cause us confusion. Molpies don't have to be true… but I digress), I present They went to build towers, to the tune of She went to pick flowers by Mara Levi (a song I like enough to have made a music video for, which happens to feature sandcastles.) The original doesn't have a lot of rhymes, which makes it almost too easy to ottify, but for want of constraints I did kind of make it rhyme with and follow the you/they sort of structure of the original in a lot of places. Still, it's a bit rough; I just wanted to pay forward the present presents and stuff before going to coma.

You timing for posting this is lousy, which is a shame, because this is an amazing ottification! Image Image
Also, cool video!

Y'all, if you missed this in all the excitement, you have to go back for this.

Aww, thanks. :D I should be a-coma, but I want to see if the keyboard leaps on them!

Hmm, I think I'll be ninja'd, but I could be wrONG:

Spoiler:

Edit: yay, I was right!
Last edited by Angelastic on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

CameronCat

Postby CameronCat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Yeah, have to agree. At that size embiggening, the shape of the head and upper body simply scream "cat" (or "Look Out..."). And the tail is unmistakable. Cousin, is that you?
Prediction / observation / songody:

I see some bad stuff risin'
I see trouble on the way.
I say the fur will start to flyin'
I see some bad times today.

Megball! Don't go round the heights!
You're bound to have a fright;
Now a molpy's come in sight.

Your sandcastles are ablowing;
Could it be the end is coming soon?
They know the sea is overflowin'
Are they marching to their own uncertain doom?

Cuegan! Don't go round the heights!
You're bound to have a fright;
Now a molpy's come in sight.

(Your molpy may vary; void where prohibited by lunch.)

ETA: composed before the ONG, posted after. Guess we know now, huh?
Last edited by CameronCat on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apprentice Curmudgeon by appointment to the Order of the Holy Contradiction
Knight Luminary and Second Prelate of the Proscenium
It's all related

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

HES wrote:FACEMOLPYONG!!!
Spoiler:

The death of Cueball is nigh!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
HES wrote:FACEMOLPYONG!!!
Spoiler:

The death of Cueball is nigh!

CNN! Breaking News!

Time to Coma!

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

AAAAHH!!!!!!!! It's getting violent and exciting! I'm genuinely worried for a stick-figure!

ALSO.... Welcome back, KarMann!

A thought: just as BlitzGirl's arrival in the present coincided with the appearance of LaPetite, leading to our assumption that they were obviously one and the same, does anyone else find it odd that KarMann reemerged coinciding with the emergence of the feline-molpy? I think the appropriate conclusion is obvious...
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

HES

Postby HES » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Catmolpy FTW!!!!! Or a very, very sleek, ferocious hamster. HES, care to weigh in?

RAWR!!!
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow. A facemolpyattack!! This is big.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:13 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:A thought: just as BlitzGirl's arrival in the present coincided with the appearance of LaPetite, leading to our assumption that they were obviously one and the same, does anyone else find it odd that KarMann reemerged coinciding with the emergence of the feline-molpy? I think the appropriate conclusion is obvious...

If you think KarMann is the feline-molpy, you'd have to assume Vytron was just trying to throw you off the trail by claiming to be the feline molpy.

I think this would be a good moment to start a fade back to LaPetite. Also a good time for me to invent a Time machine so I can go back to when I should have coma'd.

Edit: In a non-OTT-related story I'm writing, I naturally decided (a couple of dix ago) to name the cat Molpy, but I'm pretty sure it isn't this one.
Last edited by Angelastic on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

Or a panther.
Enhance!

(That turned out a lot worse than I hoped.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

edo

Postby edo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

Holy F- !

I hope that's Tigger.poor cueball
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
kenmelken wrote:A thought: just as BlitzGirl's arrival in the present coincided with the appearance of LaPetite, leading to our assumption that they were obviously one and the same, does anyone else find it odd that KarMann reemerged coinciding with the emergence of the feline-molpy? I think the appropriate conclusion is obvious...

If you think KarMann is the feline-molpy, you'd have to assume Vytron was just trying to throw you off the trail by claiming to be the feline molpy.

I think this would be a good moment to start a fade back to LaPetite. Also a good time for me to invent a Time machine so I can go back to when I should have coma'd.

Vytron is A cat-molpy. Just not THIS cat-molpy.

ALSO... remember recently when the raptormolpy ate the fluttermolpy and a number of OTTers said it was dark, foreboding foreshadowing of what would soon befall Cuegan, and a reminder of the darkness and dangerousness of the world?

Yup. They were right.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

About right now Cueball probably wishes he turned around... Like I said earlier, this probably is the "crisis" moment... not that I like being right... or watching the probable demise of a main character...

Anyone else feel like a sports commentator watching a horrific accident?
*Insert witty comment*

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

Yes, in veeeeerrrry slow motion.

Conundrum... we called it a molpy, but it clearly shows raptorish tendencies. Perhaps it should be a raptorcat?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

edo wrote:I hope that's Tigger.poor cueball

That made me want to ottify:

"The wonderful thing about molpies,
Is molpies are wonderful things!
Their tops are made out pixels,
Their bottoms are made out of... well, also pixels!
They're bouncy, pouncy, hide-y, flighty, neat neat neat neat neat,
But the most dangerous thing about molpies: they knock Cue off his feet!"

EDIT:In case there really are any of you out there who have never seen Winnie the Pooh, here is a link to the original "Wonderful Thing About Tiggers".
(Edited again for a spelling error)
Last edited by kenmelken on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:30 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

CameronCat wrote:I see some bad stuff risin'

Very nice ottification!
You may want to mention though that the original is Creedence Clearwater Revival's Bad Moon Rising, for those of us (like me) who don't immediately know that.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow. A facemolpyattack!! This is big.

Oh god, it looks really painful. I know how pointy cats can get when they're angry...

HES

Postby HES » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:I think this would be a good moment to start a fade back to LaPetite.

AFTER the cliffhanger is resolved, right? Don't want to cut back mid-molpyattack
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

Another embiggening:

Spoiler:
Raptorkitty.png
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

Say, that looks like something else:

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Angelastic wrote:I think this would be a good moment to start a fade back to LaPetite.

AFTER the cliffhanger is resolved, right? Don't want to cut back mid-molpyattack

The cliffhanger could be resolved as the fade happens and we'd eventually come back to the attack's aftermath. It could fade into a flashback featuring LaPetite.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

So, how can this end well?
The only scenario I can think of, is: a stranger with a shotgun arrives on the scene, just in time ...

ETA:
In all the excitement, I missed my* 1400th post...
Luckily, I found these in the freezer. Have some, y'all...
Spoiler:

*: our, I should say. Sorry, newpixbot!
Last edited by mscha on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

edo

Postby edo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

Well, now we know what happened to the inhabitants of that house.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

(It has been like this the whole day.)

pelrigg wrote:What's fun to me is this happened during the "Madness" when there were only about 130-150 pages in the OTT. Also, a quick skimming role call of those 20 or so pages gives us: 123Adz321, AluisioASG, buffygirl, Bytes, Dracomax, dreiarmumig, edo, Flotter, Helper, higgs-boson, KarMann, k.bookbinder, mojacardave, mscha, Opiboble, SBN, treadman, Valarya (and those are just the ones I noticed while trying to sync the "Forum Issue" thread to the OTT). And people wonder why I call these folks "Elders of the Thread".

I, for one, only consider Elders those who were here when t(NP) = 1800.

fhorn wrote:Marchlight, I love seeing your horse (avahorse? equimolpy?) peering around the corner, it always catches me by surprise (good kinda surprise, like "oh hi there!").

Me too.

Earthling on Mars wrote:<snip>
(P.S. Can you tell from this picture what my desktop background is?)

I could recognize that down-curved delta tail (even only half of it) anywhere.
And my image editor agrees with me.

kenmelken wrote:Lovers of gifs and stereograms: I'm about to change your life with this animated gif stereogram of a shark-molpy swimming through water. Absolutely amazing!
<snip>

Does that require two working eyes? Because I only have one.

HAL9000 wrote:I find that, for some reason, I feel somewhat left out of the various stories. Many of the Timewaiter-based ones include BlitzGirl, buffygirl, Kieryn, etc., but I do not appear in any yet. Authors, consider this a formal request to appear in a story in some form or another.

Ouch. How am I going to include another AI?
Well, I'm sure I can think of something.

Eternal Density wrote:I'm still ketching up on page 884 but I don't want to miss my chance of posting on page triple eight because terminators. (Also I've seen a car a couple of times this week with the plates "SG 888" which obviously means something important, possibly related to Stargate.)

...and I thought it was only up to 23 (teams).
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

jolleychris

Postby jolleychris » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

I call "Mountain Lion", so it might have just crashed right there or at least become very unstable.

Can some kind soul refer me to where "molpy" comes from in this thread?

Also, page number 888 , if this were a casino, well it'd be a right royal strange one, but also we would win a prize.

That is all...

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

mscha wrote:So, how can this end well?
The only scenario I can think of, is: a stranger with a shotgun arrives on the scene, just in time ...

Maybe Megan will repay Cueball's heroics by beating the mountain lion with the shovel and saving his life.

ETA: I think I just made a prediction.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”