1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:38 am UTC

hdhale wrote:Cueball charged forward toward the cat and shoved Megan out of the way as the cat sprang forward, therefore it is unlikely that Cueball landed on his stomach, since the cat clearly knocked him straight backward.

I disagree. How did his bag end up on his stomach?
Also, note the way his elbows bend in the second frame:

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:39 am UTC

hdhale wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I still don't think the raptorcat is friendly. Cueball landed face-first and the raptorcat is on his back. It may be tearing at the bag because it's in the way of Cueball's jugular...
Spoiler:

Cueball charged forward toward the cat and shoved Megan out of the way as the cat sprang forward, therefore it is unlikely that Cueball landed on his stomach, since the cat clearly knocked him straight backward.

you'd twist away to save your face from the claws though

ETA though I've never been attacked by a meowply
Last edited by HES on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:42 am UTC

I'm sorry, but something has seriously affected my enjoyment of this thread. I clearly got the ong, but it seems something has happened so that now I suddenly don't. I thought we were all friends here.
This has somehow superseded my post:
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3386874#p3386874

I've tried to contribute here and to play fair if a bit competitive. But I feel cheated and out of such a small thing.

But it has made me very sad and I'm just not able to contribute now. So good night and I hope it turns out well. I can't even bear to read my own signature.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Edit: Awww. Poor charlie! :( I'm not sure what happened. When I posted my :04H post on that page, I recall both ONGs being visible then. I don't think that Kieryn's :06H edit added the ONG (though I could be wrong). *looks at posts more closely* Oh, I see what happened. You posted at the exact same time :00:22 (yes I still use heresy dating). When that happens, you don't see a preview of each other's post. I think it was just an accident.

Size comparison, if the raptorcat is a leopard (or panther, that being a name for a melanistic black leopard):

Spoiler:
SizeComparison.png
SizeComparison.png (7.58 KiB) Viewed 13130 times
The top silhouettes are from National Geographic. I think it's quite plausible the raptorcat is a leopard.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:46 am UTC

hdhale wrote:On the assumption that this is someone's pet and that person is still around, they should be popping up in a few frames or so I should think.

It's rather big for a pet.

(Unless, of course, it's a savannah.)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

hdhale

Postby hdhale » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:48 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
hdhale wrote:Cueball charged forward toward the cat and shoved Megan out of the way as the cat sprang forward, therefore it is unlikely that Cueball landed on his stomach, since the cat clearly knocked him straight backward.

I disagree. How did his bag end up on his stomach?
Also, note the way his elbows bend in the second frame:

The bag could be laying beside Cueball at this point, and that would make more sense given the situation.

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:48 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:Sorry, I am still not convinced. It would be a major change of style if something violent happened in the OTC. <snip>

*cough*flutterbeedeath*cough*

I think that this is a violent attack by the raptorcat. I also think that Cueball will survive it (unfortunately), perhaps due to the brave actions of Megan. Image So a happy(?) ending, but still plenty of raptorishness. :)

Well, my prediction: A simple "Shoo!" by Megan (while swinging the weaponstick) will scare the kittymolpy away, followed by "Are you OK?" to which Cueball replies "Yeah... It only bit my backpack" etc etc. No real violence there (though I must say - you have a point on flutterbee. Does *bop*-ing a plant count as violence, btw?)

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:49 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm sorry, but something has seriously affected my enjoyment of this thread. I clearly got the ong, but it seems something has happened so that now I suddenly don't. I thought we were all friends here.

I've tried to contribute here and to play fair if a bit competitive. But I feel cheated and out of such a small thing.

But it has made me very sad and I'm just not able to contribute now. So good night and I hope it turns out well. I can't even bear to read my own signature.

Don't feel bad - ongs are small in the grand scheme of things. A friendly competition, perhaps, but what matters is that the images get posted for all of us to see!

BlitzGirl wrote:Size comparison, if the raptorcat is a leopard (or panther, that being a name for a melanistic black leopard):
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
SizeComparison.png
The top silhouettes are from National Geographic. I think it's quite plausible the raptorcat is a leopard.

That just exemplifies how out-of-scale cueball's head is. His brain must be the size of a planet! Happy 210 by the way!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:52 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm sorry, but something has seriously affected my enjoyment of this thread. I clearly got the ong, but it seems something has happened so that now I suddenly don't. I thought we were all friends here.

by Kieryn » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:00:22 pm

Megan is ONG the move.

by charlie_grumbles » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:00:22 pm

hop-ONG for the best (here and IRL)

The posts were made at precisely the same second. I'm sorry you're feeling cheated, but it looks like the servers gave it to Kieryn in a photo-finish.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:57 am UTC

hdhale wrote:The bag could be laying beside Cueball at this point, and that would make more sense given the situation.

I don't think it would, but that's just IMO. The scenario I picture: if Cueball twisted as he fell, he would land on his face, with the raptorcat on his back, and his bag between him and the raptorcat, preventing it from biting his stick-neck (and keeping us from seeing stick-gore).

Of course, if we Wait for it, I'm sure we'll find out more. :) The next newpix is almost here!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:59 am UTC

I don't get the negative sentiment against Cueball either. He's clearly the hero in the scene so far, he rescued Megan. (Assuming catpy not friendly.)

(Definitely landed on his back.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:01 am UTC

Megan to the rescONG...

ETA: this was what it looked like when the newpix was originally posted:

About 1¼ newpix later, the (whatever) at the right was removed from the image.
Last edited by mscha on Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:03 am UTC

Megan's going to play whack-a-molpy!
Cueball has his moments, but I wouldn't mind a noble raptor-induced death for him. Look at all the entertainment this attack has brought us! :D

taixzo wrote:It's rather big for a pet. (Unless, of course, it's a savannah.)

I love savannahs. Gorgeous animals. I couldn't ever have one, because I wouldn't have the time (or the money) to care for it properly.

ChronosDragon wrote:That just exemplifies how out-of-scale cueball's head is. His brain must be the size of a planet! Happy 210 by the way!

Thanks! And yeah, I noticed when doing my Boom de Yadas that GLR's method of stick-figuring leaves his people quite head-heavy. Image

BytEfLUSh wrote:(Does *bop*-ing a plant count as violence, btw?)

It does if you're a blade of fountain grass. :D
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:05 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Cueball has his moments, but I wouldn't mind a noble raptor-induced death for him. Look at all the entertainment this attack has brought us! :D

What happened to BlitzGirl the flame quencher?

Updated animation:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:10 am UTC

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Cueball has his moments, but I wouldn't mind a noble raptor-induced death for him. Look at all the entertainment this attack has brought us! :D

Oh, I'm still a flame-quencher when it comes to OTT-ness. But I've also been pro-Cueball attack since NP 617. :D
I don't think those are mutually exclusive. And if they are, I'm still the Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church, so :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:13 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:

Oh, I'm still a flame-quencher when it comes to OTT-ness. But I've also been pro-Cueball attack since NP 617. :D
I don't think those are mutually exclusive. And if they are, I'm still the Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church, so :mrgreen:

Well, you're pretty close to stirring up a flame war. I care about these stick people whose lives I have been closely following for monthsH now, and it hurts to see people wishing (one of) them harm.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:13 am UTC

Well, say good bye to Cueball. Looking back, there was plenty of lead up for this violent turn of events, but the lighthearted tone of the thread kind of ruined the suspense and dread of the unknown. These past few frames are quite a shock. Finally, some excitement!

I don't know if I want Megan to save Cueball or not. If the cat turns on her, she's dead. If not, Cueball is dead. Either way, someone is dead, or very seriously injured... and without medicine, or any other people, seemingly, that is as good as dead.

Man, this escalated quickly.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:15 am UTC

No-one's gonna die here. Not even the catpy.
In any case, Megan is way tougher.
Last edited by mscha on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 am UTC

Whizbang wrote:Well, say good bye to Cueball. Looking back, there was plenty of lead up for this violent turn of events, but the lighthearted tone of the thread kind of ruined the suspense and dread of the unknown. These past few frames are quite a shock. Finally, some excitement!

I don't know if I want Megan to save Cueball or not. If the cat turns on her, she's dead. If not, Cueball is dead. Either way, someone is dead, or very seriously injured... and without medicine, or any other people, seemingly, that is as good as dead.

Man, this escalated quickly.

Dead? Unlikely. Bleeding, probably. Broken limbs? perhaps. Definitely not a fun day, at any rate.

That's assuming the catmolpy is actually attacking and not, like, licking, or something.

LittleBunnyFuFu

Postby LittleBunnyFuFu » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:18 am UTC

What's the thing approaching from the right side of the screen??? I didn't notice it at first with cat fight going on...
I came
I saw
I napped

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:19 am UTC

LittleBunnyFuFu wrote:What's the thing approaching from the right side of the screen??? I didn't notice it at first with cat fight going on...

It's a giant supermolpy!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:20 am UTC

OMR, you're completely right! What is that?

I should note that I totally called the raptorcat attack (my experimental cat generator simply wasn't calibrated yet):
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:21 am UTC

Hi Charlie: does being Pope help?
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:22 am UTC

OK, no coma for me tonix. No way I can leave in the middle of this...

That thing on the right, I can't think of any rational explanation. I thing the GLR might be pulling out all stops now for a Grand and Ridiculous Finale.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:23 am UTC

fhorn wrote:Oddly enough, a French horn is indeed in F. Convenient for those of us with CRS.

Except when it's in B♭. And the typical orchestral player has a double horn, with a valve to select between the two.

With a natural horn, it's in any key that you have a crook for.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:24 am UTC

mscha wrote:OK, no coma for me tonix. No way I can leave in the middle of this...

That thing on the right, I can't think of any rational explanation. I thing the GLR might be pulling out all stops now for a Grand and Ridiculous Finale.

He can't have a finale without telling us why the sea is rising.

The thing on the right is tall enough to be a T-Rex, with La Petite riding it.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:25 am UTC

SBN wrote:

by Kieryn » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:00:22 pm

Megan is ONG the move.

by charlie_grumbles » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:00:22 pm

hop-ONG for the best (here and IRL)

The posts were made at precisely the same second. I'm sorry you're feeling cheated, but it looks like the servers gave it to Kieryn in a photo-finish.
When I posted my reply, Kieryn's was visible and charlie_grumbles's was not, so it can't have been exactly the same second (though they do both appear to me as 2230.00 newpix)
[edit] But if I look at heretical time they both show up as 22 seconds past the newpix. I guess Kieryn was just slightly earlier in the second.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:25 am UTC

I suppose a GARF* is possible, but why now? :?

*Grand and Ridiculous Finale
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:26 am UTC

ttscp wrote:
mscha wrote:OK, no coma for me tonix. No way I can leave in the middle of this...

Or a BlitzRocket. That would be a more rational explanation.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:26 am UTC

wizpretz wrote:
LittleBunnyFuFu wrote:What's the thing approaching from the right side of the screen??? I didn't notice it at first with cat fight going on...

It's a giant supermolpy!

It's the right height for a giraffmolpy:
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:26 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm sorry, but something has seriously affected my enjoyment of this thread. I clearly got the ong, but it seems something has happened so that now I suddenly don't.

The boards have a small glitch -- sometimes a later post will get shuffled to an earlier place in the thread if it's edited.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:27 am UTC

edo wrote:Hi Charlie: does being Pope help?

I think he's gone :(
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:28 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:OMR, you're completely right! What is that?

I should note that I totally called the raptorcat attack (my experimental cat generator simply wasn't calibrated yet):

Doesn't count if it's not calibrated! (At least, that's how to avoid a speeding ticket)
In terms of long-term predictions though, that's a pretty impressive one

I have a meeting in 6 hours. I should really coma. But now you've said the F word...
He/Him/His Image

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:29 am UTC

mscha wrote:
ttscp wrote:

Or a BlitzRocket. That would be a more rational explanation.

And then we would have proof that GLR reads the OTT
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:34 am UTC

It's an Ent!
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl wrote:OMR, you're completely right! What is that?

That's the one! I tried to find it earlier, but couldn't.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:37 am UTC

The upper part reminds me of a horse head.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:37 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:The upper part reminds me of a horse head.

Maybe it's LaPetite on a horse? (Or, perhaps, a giraffe?)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:39 am UTC

Wow. It looked like Megan was calling out to distract the raptorcat, but is she actually hailing the alien spacecraft that was hovering on top of the mountain and is now descending to offer assistance?

I would really love it to be a giraffemolpy, but it seems to have too many pointy bits for that.

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:40 am UTC

I don't think this is a finale. The OTC hasn't been going on for long enough yet. And there hasn't been enough actual plot for it to end yet, unless that's the point.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:43 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:It's the right height for a giraffmolpy:
Spoiler:

You know how you're looking at an ink blot, and you don't see anything in it...
...but then somebody tells you what it's supposed to be and that's ALL YOU CAN SEE:

Spoiler:
MolGiraffe.png
MolGiraffe.png (11.46 KiB) Viewed 13021 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”