1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

buffygirl
Cardinal

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:06 am UTC

KETCHUP! Quite sea-ish, but hopefully reader-friendly.

taixzo wrote:<snip> To the tune of "Music of the Night", from Phantom of the Opera:

The Music that We Write
Spoiler:
Waiting sharpens, heightens each sensation;
Molpies stir and wake imagination;
Discovered through enhances, as Comic time advances.

Slowly, hourly, newpix are revealed here;
Waiters mention references concealed here;
Turn your face away from the garish light of day
Stay upon your quest to be Temporal Knight;
And listen to the music that we write.

Blitz the Thread, if you feel you're missing something here,
Purge your thoughts of the life you knew before;
At the end, you've read all that came before!
And you'll wait, as you never have before.

Softly, loudly, waiters produce wonders;
Many pages, never pulled asunder;
Heresies bring candy, our modus operandi,
And flamewars quenched because we cannot fight;
Instead we share the music that we write.

Let our thread watch a journey through a strange new world
Leave all thoughts of the world you knew before -
Let Lord Randall take them where they should be!
Only then can they learn about the sea.

Outside, worldwide, time is passing faster;
No-one here can wait forever after;
We must sing today, create beauty straightaway,
Like the buttermolpyfly's amazing flight;
We do this with the music that we write.

You alone can make our songs take flight;
Help us make the music that we write.

Utter fab! You totally captured the feel of the original (which is a song/opera that I love), and made it somehow both silly AND haunting! WOOT!

charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm happy and nice maybe, what, three times a week.

That often? Wow. Maybe I should be buffy_grumbles (jk).

kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:
Ketchupness.
k.bookbinder wrote:This sounds like the early mutterings of some kind of OTT Reformation. If true, there be dark times ahead. Hopefully no burnings or be-headings, though. That could get messy.

I already tried to start reformation twice by declaring an empire (and later a semi-empire), but I actually would agree and add that the entire feel lately has been shifting towards less stringency towards OTT religionism, and more casual fun traditions and OTC discussion. And I for one think this is a good thing. As BlitzGirl said a few NPs ago, the OTC is most important, more than the OTT, which is a diversion while we wait. I'm glad to see that her statement wasn't met with cries of heresy, as my very similar statement on NP 146 was (with rather bitter vitriol/backlash actually. This contributed to my Great Lurk):

If we think of each NP as, say a decade (or a century or whatever), NP 146 was AGES ago! Our society has made considerable changes since then! Although, I must admit, I very much enjoyed coming up with the term Menopause to describe those who failed to use the term "timeframe" to refer to both the np's of the OTC as well as time on the Outside. But the whole religious fervor was eventually subsumed by the Next OTT Era, and it's all good.

I admit, however, that I secretly cringe, however, at the rampant heresy of the OTT. Kids these days!

BlitzGirl wrote:Image

Climb Ev'ry Mountain
(to the song of the same title from The Sound of Music)
Spoiler:
Climb every mountain,
Watch rivers1 flow
Join the raptor flyway
Point and call out "Oh!"

Climb every mountain,
Murmur your dream,
Watch the way the molps go
And still walk upstream

A stream that will lead
To sights you can't believe
Don't put thatε in your mouth
You can be so naive!

Climb every mountain,
Murmur your dream,
And still walk upstream

A stream that will lead
To sights you can't believe
You can be so naive!

Climb every mountain,
Murmur your dream,
And still walk upstream!

Fav part:
You can be so naive!

Neil_Boekend wrote:The promised story:
To be revised/rewritten
Spoiler:
In a small village near the coast Queball and Megan live. Queball is a wizard. Villagers come to him with all kinds of problems, but he is renowed for his healing skills. From all over the country people come to him with after accidents and with diseases and malformations. He can cure them all.[spoiler]One day a man enters the village. He is sick so he is brought to Queball. Queball battles with the man's disease for days, while usually he can cure everything within minutes, most problems within seconds. The battle with the disease nearly kills Queball. Alas, his hard work is for naught: the man dies in agony. The vilagers are shocked, for it has been years since Queball has lost a patient that wanted to live. People only died because they were dead before Queball was with them or of old age (and then only if they didn't want to live anymore). Was Queball losing his power?
In the folowing days people start ariving. People with the same symptoms as the man that died. Queball starts researching in ways to save them, for he can not save them with the powers he has under his command. He orders books from all over the country, most are send to him as soon as possible, for the country knows they need him to solve the disease. He reads, experiments and tries, but he can do no more than remove the pain from the victems.
One dark night, a powerfull thunderstorm arrives over the sea. Queball retreats to his study, lights a couple of candles and continues on his quest. *knock knock*. Queball looks up: "what kind of idiot would go out in this weather?". *kn[bibliography][/bibliography]ock knock*. As Queball opens the door he is nearly knocked down by the wind and rain. Ghastly weather out today. There is no one at the door. As he looks around to see what the reason is for the knocks he notices a book. It's bound in black leather. It lies in a shadow in the light from his door. As he picks it up, the shadow seems to come with the book, where it lay no shadow can be seen, but his hands seem to be in a shadow. He brings it in, curious. Somehow an unheimlich feeling creeps over him. He puts the book in a shelf and continues with the book he was reading. After a few pages he realises the current book isn't in his mind, but the strange black book is. What could it be? He stores his current book away and opens the black book. The book speaks about a powefull form of magic. A form of magic that can be used to change some things that harm into things that heal. Not wounds, only harming magic. The spells he reads get more and more complicated as he advances in the book.
The next day he starts experimenting on the sick. They are all to willing to be experimented upon, for while his subjects usually die as quickly as the other sick he removes pain from their deathbed.
His experiments do not go as he had hoped. While the spells from the black book slow the advancement a little, they also remove the effect of his pain removal. He abandons the book.
Months of research follow. He finds nothing.
Then his beloved wife Megan falls sick, with the same disease that has plagued the country. He knows she will die if he doesn't find anything. He removes her pain, but he can't do no more.
Queball doesn't sleep, he researches.
Queball doesn't eat, unless it's brought to his study.
After a long deathbed Megan dies. Queball is torn to pieces by the loss. After the funeral he starts reading in the black book again. That night he finds a new page in the book, one that couldn't have been there before. It describes a spell. A very complicated spell. A spell to bring back the dead. A spell to bring back his beloved Megan.
He starts working, the preparations taking days. He brings Megan's body to a cave near the sea, where he can work in peace. One night he succedes: she moves.
But the Megan that returns is not the megan he loved. Long nightly discussions will become impossible, for she seems to have a limited vocabulary. Her hands are no longer the hands of a healer, for she bites her patients. She repeats one word all over and over
Megan wrote:Braaaains

Oops, I wrote a zombie story after all

Ooooh! Cool story!
A request - can you put an extra space between paragraphs? Would make it easier to read!

rvloon wrote:And another one: Singing in the Rain

Spoiler:
I'm Waiting in my pants
Just Waiting in my pants
What a glorious feelin'
I'm happy again.

I'm waiting for some it
Whatever it may be
The sun's in my pants
And i'm ready for love.

Let the molpy flocks roam
On this thread I call home
Come on with the wait
I've a smile in my pants
It tickles like ants
just waiting
waiting for some it

just waiting
waiting for some it

Ronald

LOL for real. Thanks for cheering me up!

Neil_Boekend wrote:Or it could be a lenticular cloud.
Spoiler:

Ooooh! Purdy!

k.bookbinder wrote:Oh! I am an Elder? I did not know. I am honored! Perhaps I shall whittle a fancy Elder cane, or staff, for myself, full of OTC and OTT totems on it. :mrgreen:

I remember feeling like a latecomer because I arrived at NP25. But Gee Whiz, I'm an Elder too!

kenmelken wrote:Lovers of gifs and stereograms: I'm about to change your life with this animated gif stereogram of a shark-molpy swimming through water. Absolutely amazing! Unlock the spoiler for awesome.
Spoiler:

Possibly needing explicit statement re: seizures and migraines? (seriously) and..... still see nuthin.

HES wrote:
Spoiler:
FACEMOLPYONG!!!

I actually didn't believe this ONG, hadda confirm on aubronwood. AND ... Oh me yarm!!!! It looks like one of our farce-images, but it's not! WOOT for GLR!!

kenmelken wrote:That made me want to ottify:

"The wonderful thing about molpies,
Is molpies are wonderful things!
Their tops are made out pixels,
Their bottoms are made out of... well, also pixels!
They're bouncy, pouncy, hide-y, flighty, neat neat neat neat neat,
But the most dangerous thing about molpies: they knock Cue off his feet!"
<snip>

Yay!!!

Edit to correctly attribute Climb Ev'ry Mountain to BlitzGirl
Last edited by buffygirl on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:07 am UTC

Times of great excitement! Thanks to those who warned that there will be mustard posts/what happened, was very helpful. And I can't believe what kind of optimism some of you must have to have believed that the raptorcatmolpy was playful at any point, looks like a classic vicious cat attack to me!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:09 am UTC

marchlight wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:On the "it's all related" front, my wife just came into the room to show me this scary meowmolpy video. The timing of the music is perfect. As Beetlejuice says of The Exorcist, "I've seen it about a hundred and sixty-seven times and it keeps getting funnier!"

That. Was. Amazing. I watched it at least 5 times in a row, and now I hurt from laughing so hard. This was just what I needed in the midst of such frightening newpix.

At first I was all : D that I correctly identified the catmolpy back on newpage 885, but now I'm just D: I hope they'll be ok. I agree that I don't think Randall would kill off either of his major characters. Although.. comic contained bobcat, A--

...That was hilarious. I think I'm going to add watching that video to my morning wake-up routine.

mscha wrote:HissONG...

ETA: No more mɛlpy, as expected.

I do hope Cueball's alive. He doesn't seem to have moved since the catpy knocked him down.

I dearly want to stay up to watch this in real-time. But I must coma, or I will no longer function. Bye for now; I expect there will be a lot to ketchup when I arise.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:10 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Goodbye. I can no longer participate in this thread. I've been dealt with unjustly and just got an unsatisfactory answer to my concerns from Kieryn. I do not intend to contribute any further.

My case is that I had the ONG for something like five minutes. I was waiting for Kieryn to remove his. then this happened. He had a post immediately after mine for a considerable time with the newpic.

I also got unsatisfactory, even patronizing responses from some of you also.

It was fun until it wasn't. Yes, it is a small thing, but I thought I had earned some respect.

What? Is it the Madness already?
C'mon Charlie, the forum says you both posted at the same time.
In case Kieryn in fact edit his post to include the ONG (which we can't prove without an admin, and maybe even then), I thought the rule was to always double-post.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:10 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Goodbye.
Spoiler:
I can no longer participate in this thread. I've been dealt with unjustly and just got an unsatisfactory answer to my concerns from Kieryn. I do not intend to contribute any further.

My case is that I had the ONG for something like five minutes. I was waiting for Kieryn to remove his. then this happened. He had a post immediately after mine for a considerable time with the newpic.

It was fun until it wasn't. Yes, it is a small thing, but I thought I had earned some respect.

Aw, don't go, charlie. :( Did you see poxic's explanation of the forum glitch?
poxic wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm sorry, but something has seriously affected my enjoyment of this thread. I clearly got the ong, but it seems something has happened so that now I suddenly don't.

The boards have a small glitch -- sometimes a later post will get shuffled to an earlier place in the thread if it's edited.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:15 am UTC

taixzo wrote:I do hope Cueball's alive. He doesn't seem to have moved since the catpy knocked him down.

He's moving. Slightly... See animation a few posts up.
(Doesn't mean he is alive, though, could be that Cueball's body moves when Megan hits the cat. But let's stay optimistic.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:16 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:or he's got an ear in this thread.

There can be no doubt that GLR checks this thread. You don't draw 2300 frames of a comic and then completely ignore the 35,000 post thread written about it. Not even if you are GLR.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:18 am UTC

kenmelken, I forgot to say (or I forgot I said?) that the animated stereogram is awesome and I succeeded in seeing it without difficulty :D
Someguy945 wrote:

There can be no doubt that GLR checks this thread. You don't draw 2300 frames of a comic and then completely ignore the 35,000 post thread written about it. Not even if you are GLR.
Maybe Charlie was actually GLR...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:21 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Goodbye. I can no longer participate in this thread. I've been dealt with unjustly and just got an unsatisfactory answer to my concerns from Kieryn. I do not intend to contribute any further.

charlie! Come back! We like your grumbles :(

We weren't being patronizing, it's just difficult to see why a misplaced ong would be so upsetting. But if its that important to you, I understand. Just consider that it was a mistake and people are people and no one was intending any offense.

Someguy945 wrote:

I won't accept any proof that the GLR reads the thread until cueball or megan specifically mention molpies, la petite, or semencancercoffeebabies.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:22 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Goodbye.
Spoiler:
I can no longer participate in this thread. I've been dealt with unjustly and just got an unsatisfactory answer to my concerns from Kieryn. I do not intend to contribute any further.

Aw, don't go, charlie. :( Did you see poxic's explanation of the forum glitch?
poxic wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm sorry, but something has seriously affected my enjoyment of this thread. I clearly got the ong, but it seems something has happened so that now I suddenly don't.

The boards have a small glitch -- sometimes a later post will get shuffled to an earlier place in the thread if it's edited.

Charlie don't go!

It's all this tension and violence! Dark days ahead... :(
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:25 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Charlie don't go!

It's all this tension and violence! Dark days ahead... :(

And it was a dark time for the Order of the TimeWaiters. Many words were said, and these words had sharp edges. As well, a cat was found, and this had sharp edges as well. And the TimeWaiters grew futher and further apart, and Cueball's limbs did too. And there was much wailing, gnashing of teeth, and hissing.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:25 am UTC

I've sent Charlie a PM; the subject was:
Selecting new quote…

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:26 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:And it was a dark time for the Order of the TimeWaiters. Many words were said, and these words had sharp edges. As well, a cat was found, and this had sharp edges as well. And the TimeWaiters grew futher and further apart, and Cueball's limbs did too. And there was much wailing, gnashing of teeth, and hissing.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

asmodai

Postby asmodai » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:26 am UTC

jovialbard wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:I think this reopens the question: is the story already written?

Yes and no. I think he has most of it story-boarded at this point, but he probably writes it in batches as it goes.

The interesting thing is that the original mustard was a product of how he was drawing the terrain. That doesn't seem to be the case here. So what was this mustard? Was it part of another scene? Does GLR draw scenes next to each other like panel comics and then crop them or something? Does he copy and past one image onto the next and then edit it, was this a c&p error? We may never know, but we can certainly speculate.

I'm going to take an educated guess here and say that this is all done in photoshop or some other program that uses layers in image creation. That would well suit the needs of keeping some elements constant and some motile, some in front and some in back {think Megan moving behind the static branches of the tree, our heroes moving past shrubs, in front of some, behind others} If I'm right, before publishing he'll flatten the frame and save as a png. It looks to me like those were errant layers-- the white back-of-scene layer was slightly too small or slightly slid over, revealing some of the underlying layers... which it stands to reason would elements he was using before {our heroes' heads} but which aren't used in this frame.

Just a guess.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:29 am UTC

And now, a less pointy and raptory raptorcat:

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:38 am UTC

*sighs*

I fear charlie is lost to us forever. I won't reproduce anything here because "private" messages, but I implored him to return, apologizing for any patronizing behavior and he denied the likelihood of that happenstance.

A moment of silence.

:(

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:39 am UTC

The Time has come (the Walrus said), and I must coma. I'll probably have nixmares :?

I do hope to de-coma to a happier OTT, with Mr. Grumbles included. And, I can only hope, that a new dix will find Cuegan NOT rent asunder, but whole and without serious bloodshed. My hopes are also for the moleopard who, acting on instinct or misunderstood playfulness, might also find itself without serious injury.

Coma well my friends and fellow tribal members. And for those un-coma'd, keep the faith and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:40 am UTC

Spoiler:
WouldNotBlitzAgain.png
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SkUrRiEr

Postby SkUrRiEr » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:42 am UTC

SkUrRiEr wrote:Prediction: Meowmolpy (Raptormolpy? Raptorcat?) takes Cueball out of the fight, Megan puts up a vailant fight, but before the kittymolpy strikes there's a fade and we get a blag post describing how he did it.

Ninja'd by ........ Time. and first post approval Sigh.

Edited for content:

I was really hoping that the mustard would be a girafemolpy, then meowmolpy would ...... actually maybe that isn't such a good idea.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:48 am UTC

I approve of this OTTKCD!

I hope to see more of these.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:kenmelken, I forgot to say (or I forgot I said?) that the animated stereogram is awesome and I succeeded in seeing it without difficulty :D
Someguy945 wrote:

Maybe Charlie was actually GLR...
maybe Charlie was CMYK/Helper/GLR that knows it all (or whatever his name was) some people get grumbly sometimes. (Even some of the big posters) it seems to go away after about 8 hours
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:54 am UTC

I might have some more OTTKCDs in me. After all, the Boom de Yadas are basically OTTKCDs themselves. :)
Spoiler:

SkUrRiEr wrote:<snip> I was really hoping that the mustard would be a girafemolpy, then meowmolpy would ...... actually maybe that isn't such a good idea.

If the mustard had been a giraffe, that would have cemented the Africa setting... *wistful sigh*
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:58 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
I approve of this OTTKCD!

I hope to see more of these.

Yes, that was the comic that came to mind when I woke up this morning to this mayhem.

I agree the disappeared girdragon bits look like Cueball, along with Megan up a tree (retreating from the felinmolpy)?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:59 am UTC

I would like to dedicate the next ONG, which should be soon (wait for it), to Charlie. His contributions will never be forgotten.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:01 am UTC

BAP!ONG

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:02 am UTC

Interesting... in my browser, when I clicked on refresh, I briefly got the new image, which instantly refreshed itself to the old one. When I refreshed again, the new one remained.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

SkUrRiEr

Postby SkUrRiEr » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:02 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Hello!

And hello to you too, I've heard _so_ much about you =) (Only because you're mentioned on about half the pages in the wiki, where I've been lurking. The temptation to blitz is strong in this one.)

BlitzGirl wrote:
SkUrRiEr wrote:<snip> I was really hoping that the mustard would be a girafemolpy, then meowmolpy would ...... actually maybe that isn't such a good idea.

If the mustard had been a giraffe, that would have cemented the Africa setting... *wistful sigh*

It would have ... that said, it's not like there's lots of leopards (assuming it is a leopard) outside of Africa, so ...

spamjam wrote:BAP!ONG

Noooooooo kittymolpy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:04 am UTC

He's alive! And she is one bad-ass stick figure.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:05 am UTC

ucim wrote:Interesting... in my browser, when I clicked on refresh, I briefly got the new image, which instantly refreshed itself to the old one. When I refreshed again, the new one remained.

Jose
Oooh, have you noticed the Javascript?

asmodai

Postby asmodai » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:06 am UTC

Preeetty sure the beast was having a nom Cue's bag, not his self.

& so much for the madagascar theory. Madagascar has no big cats, and that was no fosa.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:07 am UTC

Looks like Cueball is still alive (and face up), anyway.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:09 am UTC

So - it has come to this.

While searching xkcd for "cat" - I realized how it all began:
Spoiler:

IT'S ALL RELATED
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:14 am UTC

mscha wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:Drat, naturally I can't find my copy of The Well Tempered Sentence when I need it. Wikipedia has the most comprehensive explanation I'm finding in a quick search, here's a paraphrase:
Spoiler:
Grammatical person in nominative case English pronouns
Standard
I First person singular
We First person plural
You Second person singular / second person plural
He Third person masculine singular masculine
She Third person feminine singular feminine
It Third person neuter singular neuter
They Third person plural / third person gender-neutral singular

Colloquial
Youse Second person plural, dialect Scouse, Australian English, Scottish English, Irish English.
Ye Second person plural, dialectal Hiberno-English
You guys Second person plural, dialectal American English and Canadian English
Y'all Second person plural, dialectal Southern American and African American English
Yinz Second person plural, dialectal Scottish English, Pittsburgh English

Archaic
Thou Second person singular, archaic
Ye Second person plural, archaic

No, my point was that using ‘you’ for both singular and plural in second person leads to ambiguities which can be inconvenient, troublesome, and downright annoying (the worst of the worst, obviously.) A clearly plural second person pronoun is what I meant. (Whew! Thought I'd really messed up, there.) I'm pleased to see that I could also comfortably claim ‘yinz’ if I chose, although I wish it used an apostrophe.

Interestingly, there's also no way to clearly address ‘you’ in the singular form... How can I make clear that I'm only addressing you, BlueCrab, and not y'all / youse / you guys / etc., all readers of this post?
As far as I know, there are no regional or dialectal versions of ‘you’ that are unambiguously singular. (Sure, you can use ‘thou’, but people will think you've lost your mind.) I wonder why that is?

In parts of UK people say thou and thine. As I said before, it's the singular (and familiar form, "you" is both plural and formal) that has gone out of favour.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:21 am UTC

asmodai wrote:<snip> & so much for the madagascar theory. Madagascar has no big cats, and that was no fosa.

That's a good point. The fossa would be too small, I think. Luckily National Geographic had another size comparison image for that:

=Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:28 am UTC

We broke a new record:
Selecting new quote…

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:29 am UTC

Wow. When I went to coma the latest newpix was "LOOK OUT". Talk about suspense when I got up this morning, to see what was going on. OMGLR! This is far too exciting for my sensitive mind!

I have not been able to ketchup on the OTT for hundreds of newpages, I'm not even sure where I lost track anymore. This makes me a little sad...
Not being a frequent poster, and not having a terrific hatted avatar like most of you, I have probably not been missed, though I've been here almost since the beginning of Time. But I just wanted to pop in and say hi!

I suppose I am not the only one who sometimes forgets about "the other comic" for a day or two, but catches up on Time whenever there is a chance. IMO Time is the most amazing thing GLR has made so far. Has anyone measured the distance travelled so far? It sure feels as if we have walked along the river (small) and climbed the mountain for a longer distance than even the distance across "1110: Click and Drag", but I could be wrong of course. When I saw 1110 I thought it was pure genius, and I still do; but Time is truly beyond...

/Lasse
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:31 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:So - it has come to this.

While searching xkcd for "cat" - I realized how it all began:
Spoiler:

IT'S ALL RELATED

Fun fact: I've seen those two phrases reused in so many other contexts that I'd forgotten they were originally together! (Thanks, xkcdsw)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:34 am UTC

*throws firstpost forward*
nsub1 wrote:hey has ne1 noticed the weird javascritp ???!???

But really, I have been lurking since the OTT pagecount was in the single digits. The reason I delurked (and registered!)? Because when I saw NP 2228 (with raptorcattack) I actually yelled "WAAH!" out loud.

And super-sadly now I must coma, and I'll be at a reunion this whole wip! Bah!

Welcome, nsub1! It's always nice to see delurkers popping up around here. :D

ETA: I now have 1050 posts. This means I have posted 50 times todip. I might have a problem. :shock:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:37 am UTC

lassehp wrote:Wow. When I went to coma the latest newpix was "LOOK OUT". Talk about suspense when I got up this morning, to see what was going on. OMGLR! This is far too exciting for my sensitive mind!

I have not been able to ketchup on the OTT for hundreds of newpages, I'm not even sure where I lost track anymore. This makes me a little sad...
Not being a frequent poster, and not having a terrific hatted avatar like most of you, I have probably not been missed, though I've been here almost since the beginning of Time. But I just wanted to pop in and say hi!

I suppose I am not the only one who sometimes forgets about "the other comic" for a day or two, but catches up on Time whenever there is a chance. IMO Time is the most amazing thing GLR has made so far. Has anyone measured the distance travelled so far? It sure feels as if we have walked along the river (small) and climbed the mountain for a longer distance than even the distance across "1110: Click and Drag", but I could be wrong of course. When I saw 1110 I thought it was pure genius, and I still do; but Time is truly beyond...

/Lasse

Hello Lasse.
It's already comatime here so I'll say nothing else.
See you in some other newpix.
Selecting new quote…

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:51 am UTC

Blindposting.

mscha wrote:There's definitely something molpish going on. No idea what, it's something really ɛ. Maybe a gholpy?
Here are gholpimations, both straight and in ‘difference’ mode:
I read gholpy as filpy. I'm sure someone knows why. Prize to the first person to guess correctly. The prize is the adulation of the first person to guess incorrectly. 8-)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”