1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:55 am UTC

Oh, past-azule, the Madness you are about to read.
Spoiler:
Be excellent to each other. And molpy on, dudes!*

*dudes = OTTers of any gender or ism
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:56 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:You're happy about the butterflymolpy's demise?!

Absolutely. For the bleeding hearts of newpages 863-4:
Spoiler:
For all that you mourn the loss of the flutterbee as a symbol of beauty in the world, would you have mourned it so fiercely had it not met such an untimely end? I rejoice in the strength of the raptor's wings, its steep and plunging dive, its anticipation and judgement and technique. I celebrate it: wind-rider, air-splitter, acrobat on the breeze. It is a glorious engine of death, bringing the life of the flutterbee so precisely and poignantly to a close. Too often beauty lingers past its time, left behind on a newpix beyond our ken, to spiral into feather-soft memory that slips from our minds as gently as the Fading. No! Not here! Not now! The flutterbee is snatched from life in the instant of its appreciation, glorious, caught forever in a moment most beautiful, soaring gracefully into the heavens on glistening wings. It is our Icarus, breaking the chains of the earthly world in a brief, dooméd ascent. When he gazed into the blazing heart of the sun, what did he see? What if not the glory of a perfect unbecoming, a climactic close, an eternal legend, a symbol of life and loveliness and hope and desire caught forever in that instant of infinity before transcending the chrysalis of its physical shell and joyfully stretching newborn wings under a sky clearer and fresher than any mortal soul will ever know.

You weep at the loss of a pretty bug.
I weep for you, who cannot see how glorious it truly was.

Very nice. I'm reminded of Roberto Calasso's "The Ruin of Kasch" and his voluptuous discussion of sacrifice.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:04 am UTC

VANQUISHED?ONG

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:05 am UTC

azule wrote:Blindposting.

mscha wrote:There's definitely something molpish going on. No idea what, it's something really ɛ. Maybe a gholpy?
Here are gholpimations, both straight and in ‘difference’ mode:
I read gholpy as filpy. I'm sure someone knows why. Prize to the first person to guess correctly. The prize is the adulation of the first person to guess incorrectly. 8-)

because ghoti = fish? I did the same thing :roll:

SkUrRiEr

Postby SkUrRiEr » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:07 am UTC

spamjam wrote:VANQUISHED?ONG

No, it will be back in RAPTORCAT 2: RAPTORCAT HARDER!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:08 am UTC

Thanks, Exodies :)

Spoiler:

Megan has defeated the raptorcat!
Run, raptorcat! Run!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:08 am UTC

More likely running for backup. Expect raptorcatarmy in the next few newpix.

Serious prediction: Megan will say "You all right?" next newpix.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:16 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:More likely running for backup. Expect raptorcatarmy in the next few newpix.

Serious prediction: Megan will say "You all right?" next newpix.

Raptorcatarmy would be awefulsome. :D

And your prediction seems quite likely to come true. Inverse of this:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:17 am UTC

Prediction: Megan will look at a gash in Cueball's face and say either "neat" or "wow".

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:18 am UTC

SkUrRiEr wrote:

No, it will be back in RAPTORCAT 2: RAPTORCAT HARDER!
RAPTORCAT 2:THE EMBIGGENING
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:20 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Image

Spoiler:
WouldNotBlitzAgain.png

I've been lurkibernating for ~300 pages, but that was too funny not to give you a round of applause for ^^ Thanks :mrgreen:
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:25 am UTC

Image huh?
Oh, wha...,
Animation update.

Image Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:28 am UTC

Poor coma-y mscha. Thanks for the animation update!

Khrushy wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

I've been lurkibernating for ~300 pages, but that was too funny not to give you a round of applause for ^^ Thanks :mrgreen:

You're welcome! I remember your pandavatar from my blitzing way back when. :)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

tman2nd

Chapter 20 of the gospel of tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:30 am UTC

Progress: 668/895
Spoiler:
Exodies wrote:
buffygirl wrote:ENDINGS: Remember, the End needs to, in some way, resolve or shed light upon both the title ("Time") and the alt-text ("Wait for it.")

You're barking up the wrong tree. The OTCAT's work is done.
ETA this week we learned that the soufflé is the recipe.

Whose barking at the One true Cat? Bad dog!

spamjam wrote:FACEPLANTONG!

Nobody pointed this out, but I believe that there was some molpy movement in the previous frame. Maybe they setting up a trap for her!

pelrigg wrote:We need your answer in the form of a question, MegOng

O piffle

So, it was the frog that I saw! What about the big molpies and the molpyflowers?

jjjdavidson wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Edit
More awkwardness to come, if it goes on too long.

By mscha's count, this is frame 1440. That means that if Time's story eventually ends, and the comic starts simply replaying the frames, it could now update once a minute and still take a full day to run.

In almost 10 years, it will take about a day if updated every second

unreal37 wrote:So I've reread the Dialogue From the Comic from start to finish, and am trying to make sense from the conversation to see if there are recurring insights about the meaning of the sea, the river, and the OTC. Apologies if some of this has been resolved in long ago discussions hundred of pages ago.

An Analysis of Dialogue from the OTC

The comic begins mostly in silence, and for the first 300 newpix, there is very little dialogue. Some talk of swimming but mostly building a sandcastle. The sandcastle bears a resemblance to "medival" castles with towers, flags, and such. Clearly this is inspired by real architecture which dates the comic within the last 500 years or so. Or not. And then in Frame 320:
Megan: “Any idea where the river is now?”
Cueball: “Still pretty far out. It actually retreated a little this week.”

This must be significant. They watch the sea rising mostly in silence, but the first body of water they discuss is “the river”. And they obviously have been watching it for some time since they know the status of it week to week. This is the river they derive their fresh water from and have to travel to it often. What does it mean for a river to be “far out”, and “retreated”?

Well, a couple of hundred newpix later in Frame 563 gives us an answer:
Cueball: “The river hasn’t even reached the sea yet.”

The only river they know does not connect with the sea. Perhaps it once did, but currently it ends before the sea and is actually currently retreating. It’s so small though that it can’t be related to the rise in sea level even if it was connected.

Megan and Cueball also don’t know how the sea works. Does it rain in the sea? Does water come from underground? Instead of asking someone, they have to go on a multi-day (week?) adventure to discover, so perhaps nobody they know knows how the sea works. They live in a world (or their tribe does) that has very little scientific knowledge but are curious. They can build very small and effective trebuchets. Either the entire world is from this time - around the time of castles and trebuchets - or just their tribe is cut off from the outside world.

It takes a long time for them to reach the other river. Neither of them had ever been that far in that direction. In that universe, there must not be other types of transportation besides walking – no cars, no planes, no roads, no boats (although they understand the concept of rafts). Engines haven't been invented yet. Perhaps not even the wheel. They don’t ever see people or any other proof of life except for a basic campfire. They never see very large trees that could be cut down to make a raft.

They attempt to use a lasso to do something at the river. Catch some food? And then lose the lasso and have to build another.

From Frame 1094
Cueball: “If nothing else, I’m glad we found this river. It’s not much farther from home than ours at its driest.”

So clearly, the river they use is dries up sometimes. They have to walk quite a far way to get fresh water from that river. No one from their tribe has gone this far to discover another better river about the same distance.

In Frame 1142, Cueball notices that their river “fills with stuff” when it gets too big. “Things from people in the hills.” Wood and leaves. This river doesn’t look like that. Perhaps this river comes from somewhere other than where people in the hills live.

In Frame 1408, Megan is surprised they haven’t “been seen by” any people. It’s a strange comment. They talk about people in the hills in such a detached manner, like those are other people, not their people, not them. Obviously the people they expect to be seen by are people in the hills. Do they not consider themselves people? They live in tents while the people live in the hills.

Finally, to the present newpix. They find a frog. There may or may not be a molpy following them around as they continue up the river. The molpy has to be significant too since Randall took the time to draw in a few moving pixels in some frames and there has not really been anything included in the OTC that is not has not been important. But we haven’t seen the molpy in a while, so where did it go?

Awaiting the next conversation between Cuegan.

I think that they are living in the future in some kind of post-apocalyptic society. That's why they don't know much about the sea. It also explains the emptiness of the area.

spamjam wrote:DACTYLESSINSEATTLEONG

It looks like that tree is far away, but if that were the case we wouldn't be able to see it. It's strange that the trees Cuegan has encountered so far have seemed like miniatures of bigger trees. They've been very small.

tman2nd wrote:A message from the past
I just saw Dracomax's signature
Blitzers: Post whatever you want, but keep in mind, many of us have read the OTT before. My advice:If you have something witty or something New on as far as you have read, go ahead. If not, think before posting.

I would like to say that this signature kind of frees me. I kind of felt obligated to give updates which was more difficult because I already know about many of the things that happen in this part of the past, and I definitely know what happens in the OTC. I started with a big post of reply's, but after that my updates became short and without much content. I have decided not to post until I catch up to where I left to start this journey unless there's something I really have to reply to.

One more thing before I go.
Helper wrote:
squonk wrote:Anyone like to hazard a guess as to how many replies this topic will have one year from today? Closest guess without going over receives an autographed black pixel from this comic!

I'll say 18244.

I think the comic will go for at least a couple more centinewpix, and after that I think the discussion will slowly die down. My guess is 9337.

They couldn't be more wrong. :)

I'm glad nobody responded to this. I had gotten tired of the blitzposting discussion.

No! Must resist being sucked in again!

mscha wrote:Quick update from the Molpy Monitor...

The current scene has a little Molpyfly in the brush. Or maybe it's a Molpyberry falling down.

The previous scene had nothing.

The scene before that had a little Molpypixel (as noticed by azule) which hung perfectly still for two frames, then disappeared.

I thought nobody else had noticed. I was going to point these out myself.

Exodies wrote:By the powers of Time, and a total disregard of protocol, I declare, second and pronounce yappobiscuits to be Cardinal Number Six Clickety Clicks for his dedication to metal, bingo and strategic posting. What this announcement has wrought, let no stick man woman or foundling rend asunder.

The song to go with the award is Sufficiently Breathless by Captain Beyond. I can't find a version on Utube, so you'll have to hum it to yourselves. Stuffing the distorted guitar solo down behind the acoustic guitar drone was an act of genius.

ETS(nip)

macraw83 wrote:Blitz progress: 525 of 666 (oh my...)
The Great Hike Turns Left, NP1078

My friends, I have been a terrible Blitzer over these last few scores of newpix. I have caught a NewPage or two only very occasionally, and only when the Outside provides the time. I have seen myself gradually fall from 77 NewPages in the past to a peak of 151 NewPages behind. Over the last newpix or two I have since caught up 10 NewPages, and am now more resolute than ever to rejoin the future. If only I had felt this way one outsider week ago I wouldn't be in this predicament...

Sounds like me. I've been having trouble blitzing lately. Hopefully, I can stop falling behind now.

Someguy945 wrote:I think I am developing Chronothanatophobia - the fear of dying before the end of Time.

Not because I expect to die anytime soon, but because I am beginning to assemble an inkling of a hint of a trace of a suspicion of a doubt that the comic will not end for decades.

Now that I have planted this seed in your mind, tell me...do you have Chronothanatophobia? At what point(s) would you consider the scales to tip tremendously?

A) If the comic continues after a full year?
B) If our heroes discover why the sea is rising, perhaps even fix the problem, and the comic still continues?
C) Is there anything else you can think of that would suggest that this comic will not end?

I feel like the GLR will keep going as long as he continues xkcd. Because I am 17, I think I will be alive when it ends. Of course, he could choose someone else to become the next OTA. If that happens, the OTC may continue long after my death.

Dracomax wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Yeah I have Chronothanatophobia big time! :/ need immortality meds.

(first panel)

Sorry :(

All that means is that Science needs to perfect Cryogenics sometime in the next 80 years, and then we can wait for that immortality drug.

You know what would happen then... 989

Brought to you by the multiquote script.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:37 am UTC

Oh my... You decide to coma for a while and miss a *lot* of action in both the OTC and OTT.

I hope Cueball is okay, he has moved his arms the last few Newpix so at least he's still alive :)

Spoiler:
This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.
The One True Topic
We do what we must
because we can.
For the good of all of us.
Except the ones who have lefta.
But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cakeb.
And the Sciencec gets done.
And you make a neat pund.
For the people who are still alive.

aLike Charlie :(
bEither OTC/OTT related cupcakes or x00th post celebratory cakes
cAnalysing all Newpix can be called a Science, right?
dAll the photoshoppery, songs, etc :D
Last edited by Flotter on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl

Re: Chapter 20 of the gospel of tman2nd

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:40 am UTC

Yep, Cueball seems to have survived the attack. Image

tman2nd wrote:
Exodies wrote:You're barking up the wrong tree. The OTCAT's work is done.

Whose barking at the One true Cat? Bad dog!

Wow, even the blitzers' posts are RELATED todip! There must be some logic here. I shall ponder this for a fewpix.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Re: Chapter 20 of the gospel of tman2nd

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:43 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Yep, Cueball seems to have survived the attack. Image

Just this once, everybody lives! Image
Even the leopy seems to get away with little more than an injured dignity.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:47 am UTC

Cueball is definitely a zombie now.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:49 am UTC

Raptorcats always land on their feet. :wink:

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:00 am UTC

Cat's leavONG:

On a sidenote: There's no other comic yet :(

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:01 am UTC

Cueball seems to be okay! My prediction wasn't quite true - but it still could be, next newpix.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:02 am UTC

Flotter wrote:On a sidenote: There's no other comic yet :(

Randall must be as enthralled/distracted by the action in the OTC as we are.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

wizpretz

Re: I just noticed I could change the subject

Postby wizpretz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:04 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:I think I am developing Chronothanatophobia - the fear of dying before the end of Time.

Not because I expect to die anytime soon, but because I am beginning to assemble an inkling of a hint of a trace of a suspicion of a doubt that the comic will not end for decades.

Now that I have planted this seed in your mind, tell me...do you have Chronothanatophobia? At what point(s) would you consider the scales to tip tremendously?

A) If the comic continues after a full year?
B) If our heroes discover why the sea is rising, perhaps even fix the problem, and the comic still continues?
C) Is there anything else you can think of that would suggest that this comic will not end?

I feel like the GLR will keep going as long as he continues xkcd. Because I am 17, I think I will be alive when it ends. Of course, he could choose someone else to become the next OTA. If that happens, the OTC may continue long after my death.

GLR could be using the OTT as a breeding ground for future authors of the OTC. This way it could theoretically go on forever. I can just imagine it now. Decades from now, with hundreds of thousands of newpix and still going strong with dozens of devout followers and widely known for its epic scale yet simple plot, the OTC will have gone through multiple authors, including perhaps Blitzgirl, or Mscha, or AluisioASG, or any one of us.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:06 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:
Flotter wrote:On a sidenote: There's no other comic yet :(

Randall must be as enthralled/distracted by the action in the OTC as we are.

Spoiler:
Distraction2.png
Distraction2.png (15.21 KiB) Viewed 13251 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:07 am UTC

wizpretz wrote:GLR could be using the OTT as a breeding ground for future authors of the OTC. This way it could theoretically go on forever. I can just imagine it now. Decades from now, with hundreds of thousands of newpix and still going strong with dozens of devout followers and widely known for its epic scale yet simple plot, the OTC will have gone through multiple authors, including perhaps Blitzgirl, or Mscha, or AluisioASG, or any one of us.

So it's like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

mscha

Re: does anybody even *look* at the subject?

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:10 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
wizpretz wrote:GLR could be using the OTT as a breeding ground for future authors of the OTC. This way it could theoretically go on forever. I can just imagine it now. Decades from now, with hundreds of thousands of newpix and still going strong with dozens of devout followers and widely known for its epic scale yet simple plot, the OTC will have gone through multiple authors, including perhaps Blitzgirl, or Mscha, or AluisioASG, or any one of us.

Interesting theory, but won't be me. I can manipulate images, sure, but drawing? Not quite as good as my 4 year old niece...

Here's an updated animation. (Manipulated, not drawn.)

Yay! Cueball is conscious! (And, indeed, lying on his back...)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:14 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:So it's like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

But we lost our charlie. :(

Chocolate we have, though. Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:18 am UTC

This has been sheer craziness. So much OTT I had to catch up for only 5 newpix worth of time! Violence! Mustard! Charlie! :(

Wanted to comment on lots of stuff, but it seems like most of what I thought ended up getting said anyway. And I was way too enthralled reading to pause to make little responses.

Everything still feels very... tense and shaken. Between almost losing Cueball and actually losing charlie_grumbles, well... it's been quite a shocking run lately!

Well... I'm going to work on the wiki for a while.

EDIT: Just noticed that the mustard is still visible on Geekwagon, in case you missed it and still want a chance to see it before they fix it! :P It is fixed on Book of Aubron.
Last edited by kenmelken on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:25 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:22 am UTC

Let's have some cake to celebrate the (hopefully) happy ending!

Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Re: does anybody even *look* at the subject?

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:28 am UTC

Yum! Cake! (I hope it's not made of raptorcat...)

mscha wrote:<snip> Yay! Cueball is conscious! (And, indeed, lying on his back...)

It looks like he fell onto his front, and twisted around to face the raptorcat somewhere around the "HISSS" TimeFrame (his bag seems to have fallen off).
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:33 am UTC

It's 3:30 AM where I live, and I was just about to go coma. But now I've heard that my favorite youtuber will be uploading a mind-blowing video at 5 AM my time, so I guess I'll be on here (or at least checking in) for another 1.5 newpix.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:34 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:EDIT: Just noticed that the mustard is still visible on Geekwagon, in case you missed it and still want a chance to see it before they fix it! :P It is fixed on Book of Aubron.

The mustard is also visible (indefinitely) on my site.
Note that we also have some mustard in the second-latest frame (#2235). Looks like the GLR, in His infinite wisdom, had forgotten that Megan was wearing her backpack.

ETA: my animation (6 messages up) is made from the original version, and you can indeed spot the missing backpack in one frame.
Last edited by mscha on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:54 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:35 am UTC

The attacker is vanquished, now it must be time for some illuminating dialogue *rubs hands in anticipation*

Light could potentially be shed on their location, their history, and/or their relationship. Are raptorcats a completely unknown threat to them, or something they were aware of before? Is "home" normally a place of safety? Were they particularly brave or particularly foolish in setting out on this journey?

The attack could also alter the trajectory of their journey. Megan might be less gung-ho about venturing forth and understanding it all, Cueball (assuming he's not mortally injured) more anxious to turn back. But then, 'back' means going in the same direction as the raptorcat was heading... maybe better to press on and try to find help with the Others?

Also, just what exactly does Cueball have in his backpack?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:38 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:Also, just what exactly does Cueball have in his backpack?

Maybe one of these?
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:50 am UTC

Posting is slowing again. This may be the first time since he shouted "Look out!" that we've had a full 10 minutesH without a post.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:56 am UTC

It has indeed been quite crazy around here. Almost 10 newpages full of crazy! Image

mscha wrote:The mustard is also visible (indefinitely) on my site.
Note that we also have some mustard in the second-latest frame (#2235). Looks like the GLR, in His infinite wisdom, had forgotten that Megan was wearing her backpack.
Spoiler:

ETA: my animation is made from the original version, and you can indeed spot the missing backpack in one frame.

Spoiler:
Distraction3.png
Distraction3.png (14.06 KiB) Viewed 13184 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:58 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Goodbye. I can no longer participate in this thread. I've been dealt with unjustly and just got an unsatisfactory answer to my concerns from Kieryn. I do not intend to contribute any further.

My case is that I had the ONG for something like five minutes. I was waiting for Kieryn to remove his. then this happened. He had a post immediately after mine for a considerable time with the newpic.

I also got unsatisfactory, even patronizing responses from some of you also.

It was fun until it wasn't. Yes, it is a small thing, but I thought I had earned some respect.

And the local pharmacy was out of chillpills at the time? Really, Charlie - this is kindergarten stuff (and I know, I have an 8, 5 and 2 year old at home).

Ronald

PS: ETA: ok, that might be a little harsh, but it reminded me of when I was maintaining of a mailinglist for people over 50, Seniors' Unite. One would expect that as one got older things would mellow out on account of having seen it all before in one way or the other. Trust me, if you saw the in-fighting on the group, and usually over small matters that They Would Feel Very STRONGLY ABOUT, you would never have guessed. At other times, everything was much like the OTT (with less ottifying going on). My guess is that if you're so keen on getting the ONG and you end up on a photo finish than you have let the OTT just a teensy weensy grow in importance as to the Real Things in Life (TM). And maybe you need a little bit of Time Perspective, like:

Spoiler:

But that's just IMHO.

I'll shut up now
Last edited by rvloon on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:39 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:01 am UTC

I think sONG?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:06 am UTC

Huh, I guess his bag is still on his back.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

spamjam

I sometimes do.

Postby spamjam » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:07 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

Interesting theory, but won't be me. I can manipulate images, sure, but drawing? Not quite as good as my 4 year old niece...

Here's an updated animation. (Manipulated, not drawn.)
Spoiler:
Yay! Cueball is conscious! (And, indeed, lying on his back...)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”