1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

hdhale

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby hdhale » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

Ok, apparently he did land on his back. :P

Anyway we now have the start on a new song...

Meg-an,
Megan Crockett,
Queen of the Wild Frontier!

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

Cueball got a closer look at Lucky, and thinks it might be Lucky's littermate, Brave. Megan will be impressed with his feline identification skills, and they will kiss (because GLR reads the OTT and panders to shippers.) Later, when LaPetite reveals that she is their father, they will realise they're brother and sister, and will never mention the kiss again, but the people who shipped Cuegan will feel disgusted with themselves, and compensate by eating cake.

Or he's calling Megan's action brave (pff, that sounds like something a sea-is-waterist might say), and she will shrug it off with something oddly-phrased and philosophical, reminiscent of 'This is what the first part of not ending looks like'.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Cueball got a closer look at Lucky, and thinks it might be Lucky's littermate, Brave. Megan will be impressed with his feline identification skills, and they will kiss (because GLR reads the OTT and panders to shippers.) Later, when LaPetite reveals that she is their father, they will realise they're brother and sister, and will never mention the kiss again, but the people who shipped Cuegan will feel disgusted with themselves, and compensate by eating cake.

Or he's calling Megan's action brave (pff, that sounds like something a sea-is-waterist might say), and she will shrug it off with something oddly-phrased and philosophical, reminiscent of 'This is what the first part of not ending looks like'.

"This is what the first part of staying alive looks like"?

(Ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' alive, stayin' alive...)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

sford

Postby sford » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

I don't think a hug comes next. I predict Megan simply says, "neat". Then they discuss whether to continue or to turn around. I think we know what Megan's opinion will be, but I will be interested in Cue's take.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

As I walked across the street this morning heading for my place of work I was caressed by a perfect warm breeze and sheltered under the most beautiful of blue skies, and I listened intently to the nine evenly paced loud, yet soft and calming dongs from the nearby church. I never have figured out if it's the first or last dong that lines up with the hour. Had it been a normal day, I would have been in pure heaven, relaxed, content with the beauty of the world and all its craziness.

But this is no ordinary day.

I woke up from my daily coma this fine morning to be relieved that Cueball is in fact okay and much against my prediction (per communem) the large feline animal escaped with it's life.

But this is of no consequence.

Far more importantly, an action (or inaction) of mine has caused a terrible offense to someone to the point they decided to leave what I believe to be a generally loving community. Before this, I felt such a thing to happen would be impossible here, in this sacred place where all are friends.

Right now, I feel sick to the stomach because I really am a truly well meaning person and I would NEVER cause pain of any kind to anyone (or thing) consciously for any reason. Before I continue, I think I first owe a full account from my point of view. All times I refer to are in my local (US Eastern timezone)

As I've said previously I've been pretty occupied lately by outside stuff and yesterday was no exception.
Spoiler:
- 8.45 PM -
I had not checked the OTC or OTT since around 3 PM (np 2224 or 2225) and I had just got the kids in bed and had a few minutes spare before my wife got home so I thought I'd check in. I saw the leaping cat and immediately blind-posted this.

I then read the OTT for a few minutes and noticed the next ONG was approaching, so I got ready with my post at around 8:57 PM.
I had the whole post ready to go except for the image URL, which I kept refreshing for. It felt like it was about 15 seconds past hour change of my local time when I saw the image change. That kind of makes sense because I immediately pasted the URL and posted at what I assume was 22 seconds past the hour. At this point I jumped to my post and did not see Charlie's post yet. About 30 seconds later I made my edit (the only thing I changed was adding the 'Edit' line at the bottom) and when I posted it I did see charlie's post, below mine.

I thought nothing of it, thought maybe he would add a ninja'd or something but I basically did not really care either way. I really do not hold the belief that there can be only one ONGer per ONG.

I then continued to read the OTT and flick through the book of Aubron for 10 minutes or so before posting again at 9.11 PM and then went off to do outside stuff.
Sometime, around 9.45 PM I was checking my email and saw that I got a PM from charlie.

I responded candidly, I guess it could have been perceived by him to be flippant in a way, though I was unaware of any of the stuff going on the OTT because I wasn't looking at it then.

Here's the actual message and response:

kieryn wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:MMM. How did this post move above my ONG? It was after - or some post with an ONG was. I didn't think that was possible.

I think we ONG'd at close to the same time. I did not see yours until about 30 seconds after I posted mine which was within the first 15 seconds of the ONG.
And that was basically it. After sending that response I went to watch a movie and then coma'd.

Right now I could go on fact rant and start talking about synchronization of messages across a network of servers and databases and race conditions and sequential identity numbers.

Truth be told, regardless of when the forum database received each message or how it ordered them, the posts were close enough in time that either one of them could have been in 'reality' created first. Truth be told, at some level of closeness in time, relativistic effects would also kick in and make the distinction between first and second meaningless.

Right now I could write a long discussion on the deeper meaning and irony highlighted by the human perception of time on short and long time scales in combination with the nature of the OTC and this thread.

But right now facts are not important.

Right now being right is not important.

Right now, someone's feelings are hurt, and I am in part responsible for that.

That matters.

----------------
Charlie Grumbles,

Whoever, wherever you are. This is an open letter to you sending my deepest apologies and requesting your forgiveness.
Out of respect I have marked my post ninja'd as there is a good a chance as any that it was. I will PM you a link to this post, in case you really are not reading any more.
----------------

To the rest of the community, I wish to let you know that I will not likely be posting again until I know that Charlie feels he is totally comfortable here again. I won't be going away, I will still be reading, and I will still be watching. And I will still occasionally run newdata but will probably not announce it here.

If anyone wants to reach me, I will respond to your PM's.

I love all you and your craziness.

-Kieryn
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Ray Kremer

Postby Ray Kremer » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:And now, a less pointy and raptory raptorcat:

Image Only in Kenya!

ChronosDragon wrote:*sighs*

I fear charlie is lost to us forever. I won't reproduce anything here because "private" messages, but I implored him to return, apologizing for any patronizing behavior and he denied the likelihood of that happenstance.

Ongs weren't meant to be serious business. No serious business allowed in the OTT! There is only happiness, camaraderie and waiting!

BlitzGirl wrote:It looks like he fell onto his front, and twisted around to face the raptorcat somewhere around the "HISSS" TimeFrame (his bag seems to have fallen off).

Even though it's totally unclear, I'm going to put my vote in with fell on his face with kitty on his back muching on the pack. When the cat hits him it looks like he's turned facing us, so at that point he can plausibly turn in either direction as he goes down, but in the ZOOM view you can pretty clearly see the cat only has a chance to poke at the pack, which is between him and cueball, before Megan reacts. At most Cueball landed on his side, he certainly didn't land on his back.

Whizbang wrote:All in favor of naming the raptorcat "Lucky"?

Aye!

tinosoph

Postby tinosoph » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

Now kiss!
i'm not new, i'm just infrequent

Montov

Postby Montov » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

sford wrote:I don't think a hug comes next. I predict Megan simply says, "neat". Then they discuss whether to continue or to turn around. I think we know what Megan's opinion will be, but I will be interested in Cue's take.

Megan will acknowledge Cueball's action of pushing her away, thereby putting himself in the danger zone.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

Cueball was the brave one, and Megan will acknowledge this in the next newpix.

Arg! Beaten by Montov just as I was posting.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

tinosoph wrote:Now kiss!

You mean Kieryn and Charlie, right? Image

But seriously, please let's put this behind us, and come back, both of you! This place won't be the same without you both!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

@Kieryn I take my book-hat off to you, good sir. You have shown yourself to be a true gentleman, and I applaud your actions here. I hope that Mr. Grumble will see this as well.

@Charlie_Grumble We miss you too, good sir. Please come back so that we can all reach an understanding and all may be forgiven.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

Yet another bloody Ketchup post...
_WARNING_ Image may gross out some people
Spoiler:

3D: the place where movie franchises go to die
I'll be seeing Spamaolot in the darkpix, 36 NP from now--it has distorted any danger Cueball might be in
Webocmics neither one nor true.
Oh, yeah, I'm inquisitor, I should probably inquisit.
Charlie Grumbles
Kieryn

Spoiler:
Eternal Density wrote:Oh and about 3D movies: I'm somewhat shortsighted in one eye so I don't think I get the full effect (actually I think my 3D distance vision is generally somewhat lacking but it's hard to be sure since I don't know whether it should feel different) and in any case does seem rather gimmicky. It certainly doesn't add much to a movie: because I get 'into' the story I don't usually notice whether or not I'm seeing stuff in 'actual' 3D except when they're highlighting it in one of those "oh look how 3D this is!" moments which is more likely to remind people that they're watching a movie than actually improve anything. Oh, the headaches, yeah it does add those.

I'm actually far sighted in one eye and near sighted in the other, so it's a bit worse for me. That being said, I think the entire idea of 3d in movies is flawed. unlike color, or sound, I don't think 3d can add enough to a movie to justify it's expense. Either it isn't something you notice, in which case, why is it there at all, or it is something you notice, and it becomes more interesting/prevelant than the plot. Which wouldn't be an issue, but you do not notice the lack, either, and it is almost never(I haven't seen an example, anyway) used in a way that actually enhances the story, or makes it feel like the story was told better because of the use thereof, unlike color or sound.

Eternal Density wrote:'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This cueball is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't glued 'im to the sandcastle 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-CUEBALL!!

But he's not dead yet,
he can dance and he can sing(presumably)
Cueball's not dead yet
he can do the highland fling
He is not dead yet
No need to go to bed
No need to call the doctor
Cause He's not yet dead.

MOLPIES:
He is not yet dead
That's what the Cueball said
No, he's not yet dead
E.D. is off his head

He is not yet dead
So put him back in bed
Keep him off the cart because he's not yet dead.

Well now he's dead
You whacked him on the head
Sure, now he's dead
It makes me just see red
You are such a brute
To murder that old coot
You homicidal bastard, now he's really dead
Who is the knave who put him in his grave
And who needs to manage his anger?

Eternal Density:
My name is Eternal Density
I'm smart, and quick, and free.
Occasionally I post
Some things that look bad on me.

Blitzgirl:
I want to be a knight
But I don't like to fight
I'm rather scared I may
Just simply blitz away

E.D:
I'll be right with you
Blitzgirl, through and through and through
So stick with me
And I'll show you what to do

Blitzgirl:
We'll remain good chums
Well always post the witty

Blitzgirl & Eternal Density:
We're going to enlist

Blitzgirl
I'm Blitzgirl

Eternal Density
And I'm Eternal Density

CHORUS:
Oh we're off to wander
Because we're not yet dead
We will all wait here
As the Knights Temporal led.

Cueball:
I am coming too
After Sea, mountain, and shed
I'll be your musician
Cos I'm not yet dead

CHORUS:
Oh we're not yet dead
To The mountain-top we go
To look instead
To try and learn it all
And so although
We should have stayed in bed
We're going off to see
Because we're not yet dead

Cueball:
I am coming too
After Sea, mountain, and shed
I'll be your musician
Cos I'm not yet dead

Eternal Density:
To post
and roast
It's better than a toast

ROBIN:
To sing
have fun
And keep down all the puns

ALL:
We're going off to see
We'll figure out the Sea

Cueball:
We'll post in OTT!

ALL: Because we're not yet dead.

If you couldn't guess, this is to the song "not yet dead" from Spamalot

Arky wrote:
LittleBunnyFuFu wrote:What's the thing approaching from the right side of the screen??? I didn't notice it at first with cat fight going on...

There's always a bigger fish.

(Any Darths & Droids readers in the house?)

Yes. Wondering who they will get to play the Lando Character, as clearly RotJ has him as a PC. They did actually make episodes 1-3 entertaining, though, so kudos to them.

poxic wrote:Hmm. Might one propose the thesis that GLR is, in fact, fallible (that he is indeed effable)? That GLR did commit pen to pad, then repent of some of the marks thereon and remove them from his sight?

*nails thesis to the nearest doorpost*

For Defacing public property, which I hereby declare to be a heresy, I dentence you to the foam maiden. we will also project the sounds of the seaside and white noise.

charlie_grumbles wrote:Goodbye. I can no longer participate in this thread. I've been dealt with unjustly and just got an unsatisfactory answer to my concerns from Kieryn. I do not intend to contribute any further.

My case is that I had the ONG for something like five minutes. I was waiting for Kieryn to remove his. then this happened. He had a post immediately after mine for a considerable time with the newpic.

I also got unsatisfactory, even patronizing responses from some of you also.

It was fun until it wasn't. Yes, it is a small thing, but I thought I had earned some respect.

I leave for the dix, and this happens? now I'm sad. very sad. Charlie_Grumbles was a great needlepulled participant, and his loss will be missed. :x

Kieryn wrote:Snip
To the rest of the community, I wish to let you know that I will not likely be posting again until I know that Charlie feels he is totally comfortable here again. I won't be going away, I will still be reading, and I will still be watching. And I will still occasionally run newdata but will probably not announce it here.

-Kieryn

And there goes another. this whole sad affair has ended in nothing but heartbreak. this is what Newpixbot has done, turning this into a competition. Remember, When The ONG becomes more important than your fellow poster, nobody wins. :|
and now, depressed, a bit. Please, nobody else leave from this.

Also, Cueball was the brave one. He put himself in danger without thought to save Megan. Megan looked for a weapon first. Cueball is brave; Megan is smart. They make a good pair.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

THANKONG...
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:...
But right now facts are not important.
Right now being right is not important.

Right now, someone's feelings are hurt, and I am in part responsible for that.
That matters.
----------------
Charlie Grumbles,
Whoever, wherever you are. This is an open letter to you sending my deepest apologies and requesting your forgiveness.
Out of respect I have marked my post ninja'd as there is a good a chance as any that it was. I will PM you a link to this post, in case you really are not reading any more.
----------------

-Kieryn

Kieryn, thank you. While that may not bring Professor Doctor Grumbles back, although I hope that it does, this was well expressed, heartfelt, and in the true spirit of the OTT.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:this is what Newpixbot has done, turning this into a competition.

You can't blame newpixbot for this; it was already a (friendly) competition, and people asked for newpixbot's posts to be delayed so it could continue to be a competition. If newpixbot had continued posting immediately on the ong, it would have turned this into not a competition. Instead, it left the competition as it was, but added the assurance that the newpix would always get posted.

I hope charlie_grumbles comes back.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:@Kieryn I take my book-hat off to you, good sir. You have shown yourself to be a true gentleman, and I applaud your actions here. I hope that Mr. Grumble will see this as well.

@Charlie_Grumble We miss you too, good sir. Please come back so that we can all reach an understanding and all may be forgiven.

I'd like to throw my 2 bits in (and no one can stop me, mwha ha ha ha).

@Kieryn Well done sir. I was hoping to see your side of the story.
@Charlie_Grumble You are respected here Professor. You are an elder in our tribe (and the originator of the tribe idea if memory serves me). I can see that you were seriously affected by what happened and I won't downplay that. I will say that I 100% believe that no one intended to hurt you. It is often difficult online to tell when someone is being serious, sarcastic, playfully teasing, or actually intending to harm. The OTT has to be the one place on the interwebs where you can be assured that intentions are harmless, after all, we are a tribe.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

hdhale

Postby hdhale » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Cueball got a closer look at Lucky, and thinks it might be Lucky's littermate, Brave. Megan will be impressed with his feline identification skills, and they will kiss (because GLR reads the OTT and panders to shippers.) Later, when LaPetite reveals that she is their father, they will realise they're brother and sister, and will never mention the kiss again, but the people who shipped Cuegan will feel disgusted with themselves, and compensate by eating cake.

"This is what the first part of staying alive looks like"?

Sadly I went here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xrOzaUvgao

Fortunately in 1983 I didn't go to the theater and waste my money. :D

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
Dracomax wrote:this is what Newpixbot has done, turning this into a competition.

You can't blame newpixbot for this; it was already a (friendly) competition, and people asked for newpixbot's posts to be delayed so it could continue to be a competition. If newpixbot had continued posting immediately on the ong, it would have turned this into not a competition. Instead, it left the competition as it was, but added the assurance that the newpix would always get posted.

Sure I can. I shouldn't, but I can. I did so in the same way I'll usually blame any given problem on some other random thing--like the cougarmolpy attack was obviously the fault of The TV show Sliders. It's all related.

I chose Newpixbot because, A) I thought it would be funny(unfortunately, I guess the general depressingness of what was being responded to masked that) and B) because while it was tangentally related, being a bot, probably won't get offended for being blamed, take it's ball, and go home.

but, if it makes everyone feel better, It's all my fault. I used a time machine and went back in time to muck about with post order, just to cause DRAMA! it seemed like a good idea at the time, but now...what have I done?!
“have i gone mad?

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:@Kieryn I take my book-hat off to you, good sir. You have shown yourself to be a true gentleman, and I applaud your actions here. I hope that Mr. Grumble will see this as well.

I'd like to throw my 2 bits in (and no one can stop me, mwha ha ha ha).

@Kieryn Well done sir. I was hoping to see your side of the story.
@Charlie_Grumble You are respected here Professor. You are an elder in our tribe (and the originator of the tribe idea if memory serves me). I can see that you were seriously affected by what happened and I won't downplay that. I will say that I 100% believe that no one intended to hurt you. It is often difficult online to tell when someone is being serious, sarcastic, playfully teasing, or actually intending to harm. The OTT has to be the one place on the interwebs where you can be assured that intentions are harmless, after all, we are a tribe.

Additionally there will be cake on your return (and a new Constellation of Time, if my time permits on this wipend).
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Far more importantly, an action (or inaction) of mine has caused a terrible offense to someone to the point they decided to leave what I believe to be a generally loving community. Before this, I felt such a thing to happen would be impossible here, in this sacred place where all are friends.

Wait a minute, do you mean Charlie was serious? I somehow assumed he was just having us on and would be back to his grumbly self after a good night's coma?
I'd like to stick to that theory. Just feels more logical than fighting over an ONG of all things :shock:
Go Minim go!

HAL9000
Not Red

Blitz Hard

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

Since I have only 50NP to go (currently on NP848), I think I'll chime in on a thing or two:
kenmelken wrote:Perhaps the papacy is permanently in peril. Pray tell, what precedent think ye will proliferate in its place?

The Pontiff's Place's Peak-Protector Producer's Peerless Purchaser, of course! (credit goes to EternalDensity for the genesis of that beautifully alliterative term for the Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer)

k.bookbinder wrote:Reading over the past few newpages, it strikes me that the "chatting" environment in here seems to have gone from forum, to chat room, to cocktail party; there is a pretty even mix of topics which one might "overhear" as they read through the thread, much like moving back and forth through a crowded room at a cocktail party.

The thread has had a tendency to do that when things slow down (I remember a time pre-Fade, during which I was one of the very few active posters that the chat room-like atmosphere was pointed out). Blitzing through those chunks feels very much like I'm trying to get from one side of a crowded party to the other, with no time to stop and talk.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Bit of silliness, how one can develop such a fondness for two stick figures. But theses last few newpix have been truly touching :oops: :D I shall be disappointed if this continues without so much as a warm embrace, for clearly Cuegan care for one another.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

From my past paginated papal popsicle punishment provisioning:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Sorry Pope. Lemonade Popsicle IS torture. Gimme Chocolate or ...

well, just gimme Chocolate.

I'll just leave this here for whenever everyone comes back.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Sure I can. I shouldn't, but I can. I did so in the same way I'll usually blame any given problem on some other random thing--like the cougarmolpy attack was obviously the fault of The TV show Sliders. It's all related.

I chose Newpixbot because, A) I thought it would be funny(unfortunately, I guess the general depressingness of what was being responded to masked that) and B) because while it was tangentally related, being a bot, probably won't get offended for being blamed, take it's ball, and go home.

but, if it makes everyone feel better, It's all my fault. I used a time machine and went back in time to muck about with post order, just to cause DRAMA! it seemed like a good idea at the time, but now...what have I done?!

Sweet sassy molassy, this is the first thing I've been able to laugh at in a while! Thanks, Dracomax. :mrgreen:
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Bit of silliness, how one can develop such a fondness for two stick figures. But theses last few newpix have been truly touching :oops: :D I shall be disappointed if this continues without so much as a warm embrace, for clearly Cuegan care for one another.

I would have mourned had either of them been seriously injured.

Also, you are welcome, fhorn.
“have i gone mad?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Bit of silliness, how one can develop such a fondness for two stick figures. But theses last few newpix have been truly touching :oops: :D I shall be disappointed if this continues without so much as a warm embrace, for clearly Cuegan care for one another.

Yeah, but way back in the early 100's NewPix (I think), he made a move, she said something by way of warning, and he said "Sorry, I forgot." Be a shame for them to get physical w/o any indication of the reason for the original no-touch rule.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:33 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:clearly Cuegan care for one another.

That piece of syntax knocks all the debate about "you", "youse", "thee" and "thou" into joyous irrelevancy...
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Angelastic wrote:

Sure I can. I shouldn't, but I can. I did so in the same way I'll usually blame any given problem on some other random thing--like the cougarmolpy attack was obviously the fault of The TV show Sliders. It's all related.
Okay; I wasn't entirely sure you were serious, but I thought I'd better clear things up anyway, just in case newpixbot decided to leave.

Dracomax wrote:but, if it makes everyone feel better, It's all my fault. I used a time machine and went back in time to muck about with post order, just to cause DRAMA! it seemed like a good idea at the time, but now...what have I done?!
I KNEW it! You go back in time and fix it right THEN, young lad[d]y!
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

Yeah, but way back in the early 100's NewPix (I think), he made a move, she said something by way of warning, and he said "Sorry, I forgot." Be a shame for them to get physical w/o any indication of the reason for the original no-touch rule.

I was thinking of that too. Funny how a small remark can assume significance. I may have to add it to my plot elements, I never really considered the relationship between the two of them.

Dracomax wrote:I chose Newpixbot because, A) I thought it would be funny(unfortunately, I guess the general depressingness of what was being responded to masked that) and B) because while it was tangentally related, being a bot, probably won't get offended for being blamed, take it's ball, and go home.

But you're the Inquisitor how can we not take you seriously? Especially when you're armed with S&M&Rs, comfy chairs, the foam maiden and above all, chocolate.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Angelastic wrote:

Okay; I wasn't entirely sure you were serious, but I thought I'd better clear things up anyway, just in case newpixbot decided to leave.

Dracomax wrote:but, if it makes everyone feel better, It's all my fault. I used a time machine and went back in time to muck about with post order, just to cause DRAMA! it seemed like a good idea at the time, but now...what have I done?!
I KNEW it! You go back in time and fix it right THEN, young lad[d]y!

Can't. it was a one use time machine, round trip. I chose this over killing Hitler. I must have been drunk or something.
“have i gone mad?

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:I KNEW it! You go back in time and fix it right THEN, young lad[d]y!

This is my new favorite way to refer to someone without knowing their gender.
Voice of the Silent

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

It was actually Megan who said that.

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

Spoiler:

But Cueball was still the one saying "Sorry". Did he really apologize just for touching her, or was it a yank? I can't remember/find it.
Voice of the Silent

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

Spoiler:

Right. He slipped and almost fell in the river. She pulled him back. Then a little bit later, she edged too close to the river and Cueball pulled her back, and he apologized for manhandling her. She waived off the apology and said he was right to do so, because she forgot the slipperyness/crumbliness of the river's edge.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

He took her hand, then said sorry, then she said, 'no, right, forgot.' I'm not convinced this was 'making a move'; it's not even clear who forgot. If it weren't for the fact that they ended up in the same place as they started, I'd think she'd gone too close to the river (because she forgot it was dangerous) and he pulled her away. Hmm, we're still not sure why he built that little trench/hole, either. Could it be that he had to avoid touching her hand due to the bacteria on it, and then had to bury the outer layer of skin from his hand that came in contact with the bacteria? Let us sit in silent contemplation (or maniacal hypothesising, it's all the same to me) and remember the many mysteries we still have to solve.

By the way, I bet Lucky broke that bowl.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

BigDaddy

Postby BigDaddy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:snip

I'm not sure where you got your lyrics from, but the way I learned these verses was:
"What a field day for the heat;
A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly sayin', "Hurray for our side"

and

"Paranoia strikes deep.
Into your heart it will creep.
It starts when you're always afraid;
Step outta line, the man come,
And take you away."

For what it's worth. ("The heat" and "the man" are slang for cops or other authorities.)

Yeah I just cut and pasted from the first site I found. Also got a PM with the correction. Still don't have time to finish it. Anyone that wants to finish it is free to do so.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

[spoiler]Image

Right. He slipped and almost fell in the river. She pulled him back. Then a little bit later, she edged too close to the river and Cueball pulled her back, and he apologized for womanhandling her. She waived off the apology and said he was right to do so, because she forgot the slipperyness/crumbliness of the river's edge.

FTFY. Basic Human Decency and all.
edit: Post 111, that's kinda cool. Hmmm, wish the post was kinda cool also. Oh wells.
Voice of the Silent

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

Code: Select all

("\ '' /").___..--' ' "`-._ 
               `()_ () )   `-.  (       ).`-.__.`)
               (_Y_.)'    ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'
             _..`--'_. .-_/  /--'_.'  .'         
            (i l).-' '    ((i). '   ((!.-'

Never forget. Never forgONG.

Also, watch your back.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

re: drama
Miscommunication is not a crime and necessitates no punishment, self-inflicted or otherwise. The miscommunication has been understood and corrected and parties have apologized for hurt feelings. On the part of charlie_grumbles, all here acknowledge and understand your perspective re: said miscommunication. It was a justifiable interpretation of the interactions, albeit negatively skewed. All sides are therefore cleared of any wrongdoing, guilt, or embarrassment. All are still welcome in the OTT, so long as they embrace the tribe. As completely self-appointed judge of the OTT, as all such positions on the OTT are obtained, I hereby declare this case closed.

(I'm not sure whether this will cause more trouble or less. I'll be happy to redact it if the tribe should deem it just.)

eta: It is kind of a shame that they are both completely unharmed, I mean for the narrative. I feel it's a bit of a pulled punch to have a molpy attack and yet no real consequence. A bit of a missed opportunity, or unfired Checkhov's gun.
Last edited by jovialbard on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:re: drama
Miscommunication is not a crime and necessitates no punishment, self-inflicted or otherwise. The miscommunication has been understood and corrected and parties have apologized for hurt feelings. On the part of charlie_grumbles, all here acknowledge and understand your perspective re: said miscommunication. It was a justifiable interpretation of the interactions, albeit negatively skewed. All sides are therefore cleared of any wrongdoing, guilt, or embarrassment. All are still welcome in the OTT, so long as they embrace the tribe. As completely self-appointed judge of the OTT, as all such positions on the OTT are obtained, I hereby declare this case closed.

(I'm not sure whether this will cause more trouble or less. I'll be happy to redact it if the tribe should deem it just.)

It's perfectly obvious that this will cause exactly the same amount of trouble, just red-shifted a bit.
“have i gone mad?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”