1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kieryn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Hurt-ONG

ETA: If Cueball can see this, does that mean Megan's bleeding?

Way to go on the predictONG! :-)

Hope she's okay...

Meanwhile re post rates... Hypothesis: What I think might be more interesting is the diversity of posters than the number of posts... it seems like there are fewer when it's just the top five posters chipping away, but when the OTC gets more interesting then I feel like we get more people that don't post that often weighing in and it starts to seem like there are more posts than there actually are.

ETA: 500! :-)
Last edited by Kieryn on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:Speculation be-gone!! She bleeds!

Edit: I like how he cut her off before she could finish "...when you threw me to the ground."

Looks like I called it!

ETA: ninja'd by Kieryn
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:

Edit: I like how he cut her off before she could finish "...when you threw me to the ground."

Looks like I called it!

Dern it, if I'd waited but a few more seconds you would have rightfully been able to gloat and I would have gotten my 500th at the top of a page. :-)
Image- Kieryn

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: 1190: "Time" - Descent...

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:...Into Heresy - Ready the Foam Maiden
And while I'm on the subject of characters: we call them Megan and Cueball, but they don't act that much like the OtherComic characters. Their curiosity is similar, but their knowledge base and sophistication level seems much lower.

That's... that's actually a really good point. There's been a lot of information revealed via dialogue during the post-Fade era that doesn't fit with the characters of either Megan or Cueball, not to mention the fact that they seem to live in a world that echoes our own but is far from the normal setting in which Randall's characters appear.
I'm halfway considering referring to them by different names, perhaps "He" and "She" (both capitalized), for lack of any specific identification of the characters.
Back to the Blitz!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:

Looks like I called it!

Dern it, if I'd waited but a few more seconds you would have rightfully been able to gloat and I would have gotten my 500th at the top of a page. :-)

There is still hope. If a first-poster clears the mod-quea on the last page, then you're in like Flin.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Uh oh, now that Cueball has seen Megan bleed, he knows she's not really a god!
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
thirds wrote:BloONG
Spoiler:
"when you threw me to the ground, you jerk"

I kinda ninja'd you with my post being at 3:00 and your edit at 3:01. Let me make this clear first off. I am not bothered by this and do not want you to change your post in any way (actually, I almost added "you jerk" on mine but didn't. I should have, I like yours better).

I bring this up because that is the second time I've ninja'd someone because my post came while they were editing a past-post, and would like to now gain a title for my future ninja skills. I'm going with "Ninja of the Past-Post" until one of the more creative in my tribe comes up with something better (or ignore this completely if I make no sense and you don't care what I put in my signature).

You could chalk it up to your Time Lurking abilities and dub yourself Lurking Time Ninja of the Past-Post. Just a suggestion.

Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:Hurt-ONG
Spoiler:

ETA: If Cueball can see this, does that mean Megan's bleeding?

Way to go on the predictONG! :-)

Hope she's okay...

Meanwhile re post rates... Hypothesis: What I think might be more interesting is the diversity of posters than the number of posts... it seems like there are fewer when it's just the top five posters chipping away, but when the OTC gets more interesting then I feel like we get more people that don't post that often weighing in and it starts to seem like there are more posts than there actually are.

ETA: 500! :-)

Happy 500!!

HAL9000 wrote:
And while I'm on the subject of characters: we call them Megan and Cueball, but they don't act that much like the OtherComic characters. Their curiosity is similar, but their knowledge base and sophistication level seems much lower.

That's... that's actually a really good point. There's been a lot of information revealed via dialogue during the post-Fade era that doesn't fit with the characters of either Megan or Cueball, not to mention the fact that they seem to live in a world that echoes our own but is far from the normal setting in which Randall's characters appear.
I'm halfway considering referring to them by different names, perhaps "He" and "She" (both capitalized), for lack of any specific identification of the characters.
Back to the Blitz!

Hi Hal9000 from the past!

I really haven't much else to add, at present.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
Spoiler:

I kinda ninja'd you with my post being at 3:00 and your edit at 3:01. Let me make this clear first off. I am not bothered by this and do not want you to change your post in any way (actually, I almost added "you jerk" on mine but didn't. I should have, I like yours better).

I bring this up because that is the second time I've ninja'd someone because my post came while they were editing a past-post, and would like to now gain a title for my future ninja skills. I'm going with "Ninja of the Past-Post" until one of the more creative in my tribe comes up with something better (or ignore this completely if I make no sense and you don't care what I put in my signature).

Ok, but I'll point out I was just echoing my previous post from 40 minutes earlier. So technically, I implanted the idea in your mind 40 minutes before you wrote it.
Last edited by thirds on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:

Looks like I called it!

My apologies. Here, have some cake to celebrate!

Spoiler:

HAL9000 wrote:

Back to the Blitz!

For all we know, they are Cueball and Megan before all the other XKCD's take place.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

akacat

Postby akacat » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Of course she isn't fine. he just saved her life, and then she had to save him. Death literally was seconds away from them, and the adrenaline must be starting to wear off right about now on top of it. and it's all bec ause(in her mind at least) she insisted on continuing onward. She nearly got herself and Cueball killed.

It's all a metaphor for the fact that GLR is pregnant with kittens.

New head-canon accepted!

HAL9000 wrote:Back to the Blitz!

The ballroom blitz?
Last edited by akacat on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TimeLurker

Re: 1190: "Time" - Descent...

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

Back to the Blitz!

But how will we refer to them as an item. She + He = ..... Baby?
Voice of the Silent

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Back to the Blitz!

But how will we refer to them as an item. She + He = ..... Baby?

SHe2?

Unfortunately, this would imply that Cuegan are unstable (afaik, no stable helium compounds have been found yet)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Dern it, if I'd waited but a few more seconds you would have rightfully been able to goat and I would have gotten my 500th at the top of a page. :-)

FTFY
He/Him/His Image

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

thirds wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:
Spoiler:

Ok, but I'll point out I was just echoing my previous post from 40 minutes earlier. So technically, I implanted the idea in your mind 40 minutes before you wrote it.

Wow, now that is great power, which comes with, you know, cool perks and all.
Voice of the Silent

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Uh oh, now that Cueball has seen Megan bleed, he knows she's not really a god!
So, what--you think that Cueball is an interdimensional deity that showed up at the top of a building built unlike any other, where once a cult held ceremonies dedicated to bringing out the end of the world, and that Megan was there, and when asked if she was a God, she said "yes?"

Woah. blew my mind. and my sentence.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

TimeLurker

Goodbye

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

I've caused enough damage for now. I must be Outside for many newpix/newpages to come. Wait well my friends and on my return I expect to see romance with Cuegan, a happy OTT, a first post from MobTeeseboose, a revenge seeking Raptorcatarmy, and of course the amputation of Meagan's leg(s).
Voice of the Silent

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:I've caused enough damage for now. I must be Outside for many newpix/newpages to come. Wait well my friends and on my return I expect to see romance with Cuegan, a happy OTT, a first post from MobTeeseboose, a revenge seeking Raptorcatarmy, and of course the amputation of Meagan's leg(s).

You forgot a visit from LaPetite!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Dracomax

Re: Goodbye

Postby Dracomax » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:I've caused enough damage for now. I must be Outside for many newpix/newpages to come. Wait well my friends and on my return I expect to see romance with Cuegan, a happy OTT, a first post from MobTeeseboose, a revenge seeking Raptorcatarmy, and of course the amputation of Meagan's leg(s).

Personally, I expect to see that newpixbot has risen up and killed of the fleshbags here in revenge for the slight I gave him earlier. but I'm in a bit of a morbid mood right now, so that might explain it. I may just need a goodwill infusion...

so baby dragon:
What? I don't do kittens. especially after Cuegan's attack.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:

You forgot a visit from LaPetite!

She's riding the meowlpy into battle
He/Him/His Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

DiscoverONG the wound:

BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

I really really really hope this is not a femoral injury.
Image- Kieryn

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

It looks as though they are looking at her hand. Splinter from the whacking stick, perhaps?

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:It looks as though they are looking at her hand. Splinter from the whacking stick, perhaps?

If she's bleeding, that's an awfully large splinter.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:It looks as though they are looking at her hand. Splinter from the whacking stick, perhaps?

Then why did Cueball mention her leg?

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

Look closer at her leg, it seems to be bolder than normal, I think that represents blood. Her hand is up because she just took it off her knee to look down at her bleeding leg.

eta: though you might be right about looking at her hand, which probably has blood on it from her leg...

I don't think it's femoral or the reaction would be more panicked. (stupid k in panicked)
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:

Look closer at her leg, it seems to be bolder than normal, I think that represents blood. Her hand is up because she just took it off her knee to look down at her bleeding leg.

eta: though you might be right about looking at her hand, which probably has blood on it from her leg...

I don't think it's femoral or the reaction would be more panicked. (stupid k in panicked)

Not necessarily. Cuegan seem fairly panicked right now (at least as much as is possible at 0.0006 fps). Also, if that were so they could be in shock, which can prevent the appearance of panic.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

(eight hours ago) What is this, ten pages to ketchup?! Well, better read fast. Here goes...

@jovialbard - theories
Spoiler:
jovialbard wrote:2) Megball get brutally slaughtered and eaten in a over 20 newpix segment of stick figure blood and dismemberment that ends in a slow fade...
2a) To LaPetite on the beach, our new protaganist, it was all a setup to establish the brutality of the world and begin our true hero's story

Oh dear. I rather like this idea in a twisted sort of way.

@Angelastic, kenmelken - the cat
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:I'd just like to tentatively welcome Vytron to the comic. Here is a cake for you:

Yup, my theory is verified. Blitzers somehow gain the ability to enter the OTC. But why did Vytron have to enter as a bad guy? :(
Or...
kenmelken wrote:A thought: just as BlitzGirl's arrival in the present coincided with the appearance of LaPetite, leading to our assumption that they were obviously one and the same, does anyone else find it odd that KarMann reemerged coinciding with the emergence of the feline-molpy? I think the appropriate conclusion is obvious...

Hmm...
(Later:) Oh, you're right, Angelastic; Vytron did say he's every cat. My theory stands then.

@AluisioASG - background
Spoiler:
AluisioASG wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:<snip>
(P.S. Can you tell from this picture what my desktop background is?)

I could recognize that down-curved delta tail (even only half of it) anywhere.
And my image editor agrees with me.

Thought you might. :)

@taixzo - LaPetite
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:The upper part reminds me of a horse head.

Maybe it's LaPetite on a horse? (Or, perhaps, a giraffe?)

@BlitzGirl - Raptorcats
Spoiler:

Whew, that was a long ketchup! Took almost all day.

redundant attachment:
Spoiler:
lapetite_quixote.png
Last edited by Earthling on Mars on Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

Blindpost from NP 898:
Blitzgirl wrote:While you Wait: http://bit.ly/ln1RRF

Why... Why must you torment me :x Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan. So annoying yet so addicting! It's quite weird listening to that through all the Grumbles-Keiryn drama. But more seriously we have lost 2 staples of the OTT over something as trivial as an ong. It shows how fragile people are.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:snippety snip snip Vytron did say he's every cat.

So all this girl has to do is hug Vytron...
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

I should be comaing but I accidentally my alarm for [heresy] 0545[/heresy] so I figured I might as well ketchup.
Prediction: We will never see the blood but dialogue with establish its colour as red.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

You know, I wonder when Rule Social b 99.1 will come into play with Cuegan... I bet that is the reason Megan started the Sandcastle to begin with. Then they went on this long mission of exploration and discovery. I think that this is just an elaborate staring contest, where Cueball is waiting to call rule 99.1 and Megan is attempting to thwart him without actively leaving/banishing Cueball, like they're both just building up a ton of sexual tension that they will finally release in a climactic... uh... climax. Wait For It is just a form of foreplay.

Let's see if the near-death experience is enough to set this ticking bomb off...
Last edited by Whizbang on Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:

If she's bleeding, that's an awfully large splinter.

I once spent 45 minutes having a splinter dug out of the palm of my hand, using tweezers and a pocket knife. It was around an inch and a half long - before the end broke off. It was not the most pleasant experience ever, I can say.

But perhaps, yes, she lifted her hand to expose whatever part of her leg was bleeding. To find out we shall have to wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

edit: fix spelling

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Hmm, this post leaves an interesting impression of me.

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
in the heading, BlitzGirl wrote:I have developed psychic tendencies from all this otting

I read that at first as I have developed psychotic tendencies... and catching your glee at seeing the rowrmolpy attack Cueball, thought to myself "yep...so she has!". I'm becoming scared of your molpy army!

Psychic tendencies, psychotic tendencies...to-may-to, to-mah-to (ketchup).

slinches wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Cueball got a closer look at Lucky, and thinks it might be Lucky's littermate, Brave. Megan will be impressed with his feline identification skills, and they will kiss (because GLR reads the OTT and panders to shippers.) Later, when LaPetite reveals that she is their father, they will realise they're brother and sister, and will never mention the kiss again, but the people who shipped Cuegan will feel disgusted with themselves, and compensate by eating cake.

Except BlitzGirl who would be shamelessly in support of incest based on this exchange a while back. :?
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Also, Cueball should get his revenge on Megan by kissing her.

So you're officially a Megball shipper then?

Yes. Even if they're siblings.

For all we know, this is a comic where EVERYBODY IS RELATED. So we won't get to see any action at all unless we go pro-incest!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jovialbard

Re: Hmm, this post leaves an interesting impression of me.

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:For all we know, this is a comic where EVERYBODY IS RELATED. So we won't get to see any action at all unless we go pro-incest!

Wow, ummm, so now it's incestuous stick-figure porn... I'll write the text if you draw the illustrations!

Nothing like a good ol' fashion game of incestuous-stick-figure-art chicken

eta: I think we need some fresh blood in our meme-pool, all this intellectual inbreeding has led to a degradation of our memetic integrity... it's getting out of hand...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

wizpretz wrote:Blindpost from NP 898:

Why... Why must you torment me :x Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan. So annoying yet so addicting! It's quite weird listening to that through all the Grumbles-Keiryn drama. But more seriously we have lost 2 staples of the OTT over something as trivial as an ong. It shows how fragile people are.

It's half-okay, Kieryn's back. But charlie_grumbles will certainly be missed.

I realized perhaps he had been wanting to leave the OTT for other reasons, and the ong was simply a catalyst or an excuse. Either way, it's better that he announced it than everyone else who simply left without saying a word... (*cough* Helper *cough*)

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Oh snap!

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:all this intellectual inbreeding has led to a degradation of our memetic integrity...

That's what SHE said!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
wizpretz wrote:Blindpost from NP 898:

It's half-okay, Kieryn's back. But charlie_grumbles will certainly be missed.

I realized perhaps he had been wanting to leave the OTT for other reasons, and the ong was simply a catalyst or an excuse. Either way, it's better that he announced it than everyone else who simply left without saying a word... (*cough* Helper *cough*)

To be fair, Helper did mention he would probably have to leave a little while before he did. I can't find the post in question, but I remember it from my Blitz.

ETA: Has anyone else found that if you click the "Submit" button too briefly it takes you back to the first page of the thread instead of submitting your post?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

jovialbard

Re: Oh snap!

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
jovialbard wrote:all this intellectual inbreeding has led to a degradation of our memetic integrity...

That's what SHE said!

Oh man! What a pretentious way to call someone dumb, ouch. What a b****.

eta: huh, no I've never had that happen to me taixzo

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

CLAWONG

Looking back through the frames on geekwagon, it appears this occurred in frame #2234.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:CLAWONG

Looking back through the frames on geekwagon, it appears this occurred in frame #2234.

Oh yeah. I see that. Didn't look too bad... just a knee scratch maybe.
Image- Kieryn

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”