1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:<snip> they're both just building up a ton of sexual tension that they will finally release in a climactic... uh... climax. Wait For It is just a form of foreplay.

So you suggest that there will be LaPetite at the end? :twisted:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

HES

A statement that is secretly a request

Postby HES » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

I'm surprised no-one's done a gif of 2233/2234. Whackamolpy!
Last edited by HES on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I realized perhaps he had been wanting to leave the OTT for other reasons, and the ong was simply a catalyst or an excuse. Either way, it's better that he announced it than everyone else who simply left without saying a word... (*cough* Helper *cough*)

Unless he ever regrets his decision, and thinks that he can't come back because of how he left. "I'll just take my ball and go home!" "Who wants to play frisbee?" "Wait, you've got a frisbee? Can I ... nevermind." (Not realizing that sure, he can come play frisbee.)

But seriously, if anyone is done having fun here, don't feel like you have to stay. Go build sandcastles, go look for rivers, go climb a mountain. I don't recommend fights with raptercats though. If you don't want to tell us it isn't fun, then just say you're too busy. We'll believe you, and have no way to check anyway.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

Hopefully the meowlpy wasn't rabid! Then all is doomed. I don't think they have the knowledge of vaccination.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Chapter 13

The pillow had never felt this good. The tensions of the previous adventure just melted away as the Pope lay down in his tent, and when he awoke, it was already midday. The Pope was still no closer to finding out what kind of conspiracy was brewing in his clerecy, but at least his mind was clearer now. The answer had come to him in a flash the day before, when he emerged from the BlitzRocket, but it escaped his mind just as quickly and had not wanted to re-enter. Perhaps now, after a good night's sleep, it would return.

The stage for the commemoration was set between the two BlitzRockets and people began to gather. The Pope wandered between the two BlitzRockets, whose clamshell hatches were still open from the night before, and looked into the cockpit of the one on the left. He didn't notice the First Cleric behind him. "Going for a ride?", he asked the Pope.
Spoiler:
Startled, the Pope jumped back. "No. Just looking. There's something rather compelling about that red button though, wouldn't you say?"

"This one?", asked the First Cleric as he reached into the cockpit. The Pope quickly grabbed his arm.

"Don't touch that!", shouted the Pope.

The First Cleric said, "Yes, it is quite compelling, isn't it."

"It reminds me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on it", said the Pope. Then, chuckling at his own little joke, he closed both BlitzRocket hatches. It wouldn't do to have an accident. Joke or no, that button was oddly familiar. He contemplated the fire-cross insignia of taixzo's BlitzRocket, and recognized it finally as the emblem BlitzGirl had created, and one he saw taixzo wearing just before he left. None of this however got him any closer to who it was that was interfering with the Quest and the Holy Records... if indeed it wasn't just a delusion on his own part. But maybe BlitzGirl would have some insight. The Pope had asked for insight from her once before; he was sure she would oblige him again.

The heralds were all in place, one by the waterfall, one at the top of a nearby hill, one at the edge of the ridge overlooking the river they were following. The stage was set in grand style, and the tribe had gathered in numbers that went out beyond the limits of his vision.

It was time.

The Pope came away from the BlitzRockets, stepped up onto the stage, and gave a nod. The ram's horn sounded with a flourish that carried across the valley and echoed among the hills. Each of the other heralds replied in turn, and the echoes blended in with one another in a symphony of sound that told the world this was no ordinary canonization. As the reverberations faded, the Pope spoke, in a voice that filled the valley:

"We are here as witness to the impossible, which made itself known not once, but twice in rapid succession, that we remember always that what cannot be is the same as what must be, and thus what is. This is a founding tenet of the Order of the Holy Contradiction, and is superseded only by the Prime Directive itself. We are here to honor two of our brethren and sisteren, who, having experienced a Great Chasm in their souls, have drunk from the One True Thread in Glorious Fulfilment, and having completed their Holy Quest, are now each to be honored as BlitzGirl the Next. But theirs was no ordinary Holy Quest, for they completed the Entire Thread Of Time, the One True Thread, in but a single wix. This was thought to be Categorically Impossible, which of course made it Gloriously Inevitable.

"CasCat, please arise, and kneel."

CasCat spread her tiny wings and literally flew up onto the stage. Now, a cat with wings is an awesome sight in and of itself, but CasCat made it look so graceful that the Pope forgot for a moment where he was. The First Cleric started to snicker, thinking "yeah, this is where it happened the last time too!" But the Pope recovered, and of course did not need to read anything from scrolls, as for him this had become a comfortable and familiar ceremony. The Pope raised his hands above CasCat as she knelt before the Pope. He continued:

"CasCat, in honor of your having completed a most Awesome BlitzQuest, and of having done so incognito, receiving not even the Sacrament of Sigcouragement or the Prayer of Strength, do I, by the power vested in me as the Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction, hereby consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title BlitzGirl the Next, that it be known for all Time, and for all of time, that you have truly and properly Waited for It. And furthermore, in utter awe of the speed and intensity of your BlitzQuest, do I further bestow upon the the new title BlitzGirl the Fast.

This was met with enormous cheering, as His Meojesty edfel beamed with pride watching CasCat being canonized. This is the way it should be run. He hoped the First Cleric was taking notes.

The Pope raised his hands to quiet the crowd, and then went on:

"taixzo, arise and kneel", he said. A perky blue figure stirred in the crowd and made its way to the stage. Although the Pope hadn't seen taixzo since the landing, recognition dawned as soon as taixzo climbed up onto the stage next to CasCat and knelt down before the Pope.

"taixzo, in honor of the completion of your Sacred Pilgrimmage, forsaking the distractions of the Other World to bring your focus purely on drinking from the One True Thread of Time, by the power vested in my as the Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction, do I hereby consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title BlitzGirl the Next, that it be known for all Time, and for all of time, that you have truly and properly Waited for It. And also in commemoration of the awesome speed with which you have drunk from the seaish river of the One True Thread, do I bestow upon thee also the title BlitzGirl the Fast. Furthermore, do I consecrate the Gospel of taixzo, a True and Holy Record of your Quest, to be counted among the Holy Books, that it provide inspiration to all Timewaiters, for all time and all of Time."

The crowd went wild with applause, cheering, and curvy waving of banners. With a nod, the Pope signaled the heralds, and the sound of the ram's horn again echoed throughout the land. CasCat and taixzo rose up to share this beautiful moment together. It had been said that the title "BlitzGirl the Next" increases in awesomeness as more are awarded; they both know it to be true, and to at the same time not matter. As CasCat and taixzo attempted to step gracefully off the stage, they were picked up by the crowd and carried off to where cake, molpyberries, and cupcakes awaited them. Official duties over, the Pope could now turn his mind to the clerecy conspiracy. He stepped off the stage, and walked back to the BlitzRockets while the crowd was distracted by the increasingly joyous and raucous celebrations happening around the food area a little further down the hill.

Thoughts tumbled into his head. It had to be somebody who was always watching... who always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Or, the Pope amused himself, the wrong place at the wrong time. The First Cleric? No, the First Cleric was not nearly competent enough to pull this off - it couldn't be him. Did that mean that it must be him? This was tricky; it might fool a novice cleric, but there was more to contradiction than appeared on the surface. The Pope started through his contradiction training exercises and quickly decided that it was not him. The First Cleric was just an ordinary buffoon; the Pope would have to look further.

Leaning on one of the BlitzRockets, he must have hit the release switch, for the hatch opened with a gentle hiss. The Pope looked into the cockpit again, and there was that red button, right in the middle of all the other screens and lights and knobs and dials and... things. Having already been in the BlitzRocket, he was no longer terrified the way he was when the second scribe had discovered it on the beach. He stood there a long moment, just looking, taking it in. The control glove lay limp to the left of the seat, the screens were dark, all the lights were off, and the BlitzRocket itself was completely silent and inert.

He tried to picture how it was when he first got out of the BlitzRocket, at the moment he had had the epiphany that escaped him the day before, but nothing was coming to mind. He tried to imagine the crowd that had gathered, who he saw, what they said, but it was all a blur, so he decided to re-create the scene in his mind.

He stepped into the BlitzRocket.

The two seats are offset from each other: the rear seat that he had occupied was also on the right, while the front seat, which the second scribe used, was further to the left. And there in the center of the console was the red button. He moved over to stand in front of the rear seat and looked over at all the instrumentation in front of him. It was quite amazing, and he did recognize some of the names from scrolls he had seen. They had not been organized, but he decided then and there that they should be gathered together in a Book of Numbers. He'd mention it to the second scribe when he got the chance. Then a horrible thought came to him. What if it were the second scribe herself who was behind this conspiracy against the clerecy? She certainly had the position, the access, and seemed to know what was going on before he did. This was a new thought, not the one he had yesterday upon landing, but still, it merited consideration, painful as it might be.

He started wondering what it must have been for the second scribe to fly this thing. Just for a moment.

He sat in the front seat.

There in front of him, off to the right a bit, was the red button. He contemplated it, looked directly at it, and as he did so, the button lit up by itself, and a voice seemed to come right from it.

It said, "Hello, Dave".
Jose
<-- previous (NP 862) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki) | (NP 966) next -->
Last edited by ucim on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:45 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
ZoomanSP wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:<snip> ZoomanSP, ucim and ChronosDragon made serious, valiant attempts at silliness and they are, therefore, to be given membership into the "Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam" with all of the rights, privileges and honors appertaining to that Order. Congratulations. <snip>

My first title! *happydance* Image

Actually, your avatar needs a hat, which is a turtle, which needs a hat, which... all the way up. 8-)

I would be honoured to get a hat for my avatar! But I can wait for it (after all, that's what w'all are practising now since the beginning of Time).

So, whenever Vytron or HAL9000 read this post, I hereby ask respectfully for an oeuvre from your millinery for my turtle. I have a larger file if needed.

Added: I just remembered that HAL9000 sometimes skips some NP (which is totally fine with me, everyone has a personal style of waiting for it). So, I'll maybe ask again if my then-still-unhatted self sees him around here one dix or the other.

Blindpost from just over 40NP back (w00t, 20+ NP of progress today!) to say that I, alas, am unable to produce HALberdashery at the moment, because all I have to access the internet is this iPod. If you keep the request in mind and ask me after I return on the 7th of July, I'd be glad to give you some classy headgear. I don't have much in the way of image editing software, but your avatar won't be too hard to hat.
Also, I've stopped skipping for fear of missing a cool image manip, story segment, song filk, or other work.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

I think the raptorcat attack and Cuegan's heroics have been epic enough to be immortalized in song.

Megan, Bloody Megan:
(based on Sunday, Bloody Sunday by U21)
I can't believe the news today
I can't close my eyes and make it go away.
How long, how long must we wait for-the ONG?
How long, how long?
'Cause tonight
Megball can be as one, tonight.

Spoiler:
Cueball tackled under raptorcat's feet
The cat swipes and slices Megan's knee.
Megan will heed the battle call
It puts her back up, puts her back up against the wall.

Megan, bloody Megan.
Megan, bloody Megan.
Megan, bloody Megan.
Megan, bloody Megan.
Oh, let's go.

And the battle's just begun
Cueball may be lost, yet raptorcat hasn't won.
A stick wrenched, thrust at meowlpy's heart
While Cueball struggles and his pack is
Torn apart.

Megan, bloody Megan.
Megan, bloody Megan.

How long, how long must we wait for-the ONG?
How long, how long?
'Cause tonight
Megball can be as one, tonight.
Tonight.

Megan, bloody Megan.
Megan, bloody Megan.

Wipe the tears from your eyes
Wipe your tears away.
I'll wipe your tears away.
I'll wipe your tears away.
I'll wipe your bloodshot eyes.
Megan, bloody Megan.
Megan, bloody Megan.

Megan, bloody Megan
Megan, bloody Megan
Megan, bloody Megan
Yeah, let's go!

It's true cats aren't immune
To thwaps and bops dealt repeatedly.
And today the meowlpies cry
A fierce battle raged but nobody died.

Raptorcat was beaten on the dome
Tucking tail while it scurries home
Oh...

Megan, bloody Megan
Megan, bloody Megan.

1I'd put in a link to the original song, but youtube is blocked at work.
Repeated edits for typos
Last edited by slinches on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:24 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Also, I've stopped skipping for fear of missing a cool image manip, story segment, song filk, or other work.

Such as a super awesome ottification featuring me, that I totally missed because I skipped that bit :oops:
He/Him/His Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
Holy smokes, folks, you should see this firstpost! It's only one page back, but I'm throwing it forward anyway.
CameronCat wrote:Dear Sis,
I know I haven't written in a while and for that I apologize; just busy I guess. I hope you and the kids are well. I did want to tell you about the new church I've joined and invite you to visit us.

See, for many years I would pass by the Cathedral three times a week and just stick my head in to see what might be going on. Lessons and revelations are presented regularly in the Cathedral of the One True Comic, but the teaching, discussion and philosophizing is conducted immediately adjacent in the Tabernacle. I would cast an eye in there occasionally as well.
But one day, back in March, there came a revelation of Time -- with the dictum "Wait for it" -- that started so much discussion that I just had to hang around for the rest of it. I took a seat in the very last pew of the Tabernacle and have attended almost all of the teachings and discussions. I was firmly (if invisibly) ensconced in the Tabernacle of Time or the One True Thread. (Y'otter totter in with us.)

Others were equally taken and a congregation grew quickly; the group is pretty neat! It's a varied lot, and judging from the name tags I see, quite international and very urbane as well. Although there are some senior members, it seems the average age is young-ish. (Heavens, I think I own some cars older than many regulars.) For many reasons, some of the regulars have fallen away so I thought perhaps I should get up, get a name tag and join the congregation. I’ve noticed some other Cats here too, so maybe I’ll move up to another pew.

You see, each hour another revelation is presented in the Cathedral. A parishioner picks up a copy of the new picture and posts it in the Tabernacle. At the sounding of the sacred ONG, as many as will then assemble in the ToT for speculation, discussion, and no little bit of tomfoolery. The series of pictures from the beginning comprise a story line of the two little characters on a journey. What we have seen so far is not so revealing that we can guess at the ending, and that is a large part of the happenings in the ToT. So, as admonished, we Wait for It.

The congregation is SO varied that no firm doctrine (other than the initial commandment) has evolved. Most of the lessons come from discussions and reference to other writings. Should you miss an ONG, it’s hoped that you’ll perform the revered Ketchup by reading what you missed. If you've missed a lot, you may want to read all of the teachings in order. That's known as a Blitz and a long one may get you a hat awarded for merit. You wear it on your name tag. Hats are usually awarded for exemplary service to the faith, but also occasionally simply on request. The original Hatter has gone out of business but others have risen to the need.

But what an easy going group; I mean they have sects and random texticles and everything! (Oooh, ahhh!) :shock: Many of the sects formed early when the early lectors were predicting how the story would unfold. Some think the tale will loop back to the opening frame; they are the Loopists. Others think it will go on forever (the Eternalists). Some say it will be a metaphor for something in Lord Randall’s life, and this I firmly believe. Therefore, I am a metaphorist.

Which is handy because our little friends in the story recently met a forest, which, symbolically as a refererence might have been a metaforest. Regardless, I cling to the words of a Lector in the Early Church (Angelastic) who said,
… I don't think Randall is making us wait and refresh just to say at the end 'HA! Something terrible happened! to me or my wife!' Sure, if enough time passes, people/universes will disappear, and maybe that will happen here, but time will pass first and it will be lovely, poignant, funny, surprising, tedious etc. rather than morbid.”
Other lectors and readers have said much the same.

And Sis, you’d love the Music and Arts committee in the Church of the OTC. There’s people who write new hymns using old tunes to fit the recent teachings; most results are pretty remarkable and some are stunning! Others write adjunct stories or futurist novels, and one has even written a play with cues and everything. (I’m not sure even the best stage manager could call the show off his cue list but that’s an easy fix.)

What’s more, the Literary sub-committee writes poetry and encourages a particular form know as double-dactyls. Most of the submissions are pretty good although some fall to Earth of their own weight. These of course become terradactyls and are not heard from again, a pterrible fate for such strong efforts.

Join us at the church, Sis. When you get there, the password is “caffeinatedbaby…”, er, “raptorsemencancer…,” no, um it’s “molpy-beesnakeflutter…”. Oh, hell! – Just mention bacon and I’m sure they’ll let you in.

All my love,
Cam/quote]
────────────────
HES wrote:
mscha wrote:Here's a movie at 30 fpsH of Time so far. Surprisingly not completely unwatchable...

Neat! I love how fluid some of the movement is, especially the, er, fluids. Something we can't appreciate at ~0.0003fps

You made me think about something I hadn't connected to the OTC before: I was watching live in 1976 as Viking 1 transmitted the first color image from the surface of Mars. It took several minutes to transmit,* and as I recall it scanned top-to-bottom, left-to-right instead of the other way around.ⁿ That first color image was a 563x512 pixel image, comparable in size to Timeframes. (The original transmission showed a hilariously blue sky, later corrected.)

So I started wondering: What would it look like if newpix appeared a pixel at a time instead of by an hourly ONG? 218,435 pixels per newpix; about 61 pixels per second. Scanning top-to-bottom, left-to-right (like Viking), then a new column of pixels would take about 6½ seconds to appear; just to scan across Cueball in the current frame would take a minute and a half; the tree behind Megan would take about 7½ minutes.

I'd love to see someone do an animation of a single frame like this (though I shudder at the thought of a 218,435-frame GIF file). Maybe someone can find a clever way to code this in javascript?²

* Wikipedia says 4 minutes; that feels about right. I don't know the color depth, or if any compression was used (by the evenly progressive way the scan appeared, I'd guess not), but if it was 8-bit uncompressed then that gives a baud rate of about 32K. NASA had pretty impressive interplanetary wireless in 1976.
ⁿ Because the camera scanned side to side, to allow for unlimited panoramic shots, if I remember correctly.

² And have you noticed the javascript on the comic page?

Are you suggesting the java script might be Martian in origin?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
ZoomanSP wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:<snip> ZoomanSP, ucim and ChronosDragon made serious, valiant attempts at silliness and they are, therefore, to be given membership into the "Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam" with all of the rights, privileges and honors appertaining to that Order. Congratulations. <snip>

My first title! *happydance* Image

Actually, your avatar needs a hat, which is a turtle, which needs a hat, which... all the way up. 8-)

I would be honoured to get a hat for my avatar! But I can wait for it (after all, that's what w'all are practising now since the beginning of Time).

So, whenever Vytron or HAL9000 read this post, I hereby ask respectfully for an oeuvre from your millinery for my turtle. I have a larger file if needed.

Added: I just remembered that HAL9000 sometimes skips some NP (which is totally fine with me, everyone has a personal style of waiting for it). So, I'll maybe ask again if my then-still-unhatted self sees him around here one dix or the other.

Blindpost from just over 40NP back (w00t, 20+ NP of progress today!) to say that I, alas, am unable to produce HALberdashery at the moment, because all I have to access the internet is this iPod. If you keep the request in mind and ask me after I return on the 7th of July, I'd be glad to give you some classy headgear. I don't have much in the way of image editing software, but your avatar won't be too hard to hat.
Also, I've stopped skipping for fear of missing a cool image manip, story segment, song filk, or other work.

Thank you very much in advance! Have an interesting journey, and until then, I will
Spoiler:
wait for it.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

Zorin_75

Re: A statement that is secretly a request

Postby Zorin_75 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

HES wrote:I'm surprised no-one's done a gif of 2233/2234. Whackamolpy!

Like this?
Spoiler:
meowlpywhack.gif
Go Minim go!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Bonk

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

Awefulsome! If whack-a-molpy were a flash game, I would quickly become addicted. Image

Actual spoiler for the most recent chapter of Acts of the Clerics...
ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
There in front of him, off to the right a bit, was the red button. He contemplated it, looked directly at it, and as he did so, the button lit up by itself, and a voice seemed to come right from it.

It said, "Hello, Dave".

OMR! How exciting! He should be happy when he reaches this newpage. :D
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

I could watch this all day

Postby HES » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:

Like this?
Spoiler:

:D Thanks
whaka-whaka-whaka-whaka-whaka-whaka-whaka-whaka-whaka-whaka-whaka-whaka-MOLPY!-MOLPY!
He/Him/His Image

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Chapter 13

Spoiler:
The pillow had never felt this good. The tensions of the previous adventure just melted away as the Pope lay down in his tent, and when he awoke, it was already midday. The Pope was still no closer to finding out what kind of conspiracy was brewing in his clerecy, but at least his mind was clearer now. The answer had come to him in a flash the day before, when he emerged from the BlitzRocket, but it escaped his mind just as quickly and had not wanted to re-enter. Perhaps now, after a good night's sleep, it would return.

The stage for the commemoration was set between the two BlitzRockets and people began to gather. The Pope wandered between the two BlitzRockets, whose clamshell hatches were still open from the night before, and looked into the cockpit of the one on the left. He didn't notice the First Cleric behind him. "Going for a ride?", he asked the Pope. Startled, the Pope jumped back. "No. Just looking. There's something rather compelling about that red button though, wouldn't you say?"

"This one?", asked the First Cleric as he reached into the cockpit. The Pope quickly grabbed his arm.

"It reminds me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on it", said the Pope. Then, chuckling at his own little joke, he closed both BlitzRocket hatches. It wouldn't do to have an accident. Joke or no, that button was oddly familiar. He contemplated the fire-cross insignia of taixzo's BlitzRocket, and recognized it finally as the emblem BlitzGirl had created, and one he saw taixzo wearing just before he left. None of this however got him any closer to who it was that was interfering with the Quest and the Holy Records... if indeed it wasn't just a delusion on his own part. But maybe BlitzGirl would have some insight. The Pope had asked for insight from her once before; he was sure she would oblige him again.

The heralds were all in place, one by the waterfall, one at the top of a nearby hill, one at the edge of the ridge overlooking the river they were following. The stage was set in grand style, and the tribe had gathered in numbers that went out beyond the limits of his vision.

It was time.

The Pope came away from the BlitzRockets, stepped up onto the stage, and gave a nod. The ram's horn sounded with a flourish that carried across the valley and echoed among the hills. Each of the other heralds replied in turn, and the echoes blended in with one another in a symphony of sound that told the world this was no ordinary canonization. As the reverberations faded, the Pope spoke, in a voice that filled the valley:

"We are here as witness to the impossible, which made itself known not once, but twice in rapid succession, that we remember always that what cannot be is the same as what must be, and thus what is. This is a founding tenet of the Order of the Holy Contradiction, and is superseded only by the Prime Directive itself. We are here to honor two of our brethren and sisteren, who, having experienced a Great Chasm in their souls, have drunk from the One True Thread in Glorious Fulfilment, and having completed their Holy Quest, are now each to be honored as BlitzGirl the Next. But theirs was no ordinary Holy Quest, for they completed the Entire Thread Of Time, the One True Thread, in but a single wix. This was thought to be Categorically Impossible, which of course made it Gloriously Inevitable.

CasCat spread her tiny wings and literally flew up onto the stage. Now, a cat with wings is an awesome sight in and of itself, but CasCat made it look so graceful that the Pope forgot for a moment where he was. The First Cleric started to snicker, thinking "yeah, this is where it happened the last time too!" But the Pope recovered, and of course did not need to read anything from scrolls, as this had become a comfortable and familiar ceremony. The Pope raised his hands above CasCat as she knelt before the Pope. He continued:

"CasCat, in honor of your having completed a most Awesome BlitzQuest, and of having done so incognito, receiving not even the Sacrament of Sigcouragement or the Prayer of Strength, do I, by the power vested in me as the Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction, hereby consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title BlitzGirl the Next, that it be known for all Time, and for all of time, that you have truly and properly Waited for It. And furthermore, in utter awe of the speed and intensity of your BlitzQuest, do I further bestow upon the the new title BlitzGirl the Fast.

This was met with enormous cheering, as His Meojesty edfel beamed with pride watching CasCat being canonized. This is the way it should be run. He hoped the First Cleric was taking notes.

"taixzo, arise and kneel", he said. A perky blue figure stirred in the crowd and made his way to the stage. Although the Pope hadn't seen taixzo since he was carried off after he landed, he recognized taixzo as soon as he climbed up and stood next to CasCat. He knelt down before the Pope.

"taixzo, in honor of the completion of your Sacred Pilgrimmage, forsaking the distractions of the Other World to bring your focus purely on drinking from the One True Thread of Time, by the power vested in my as the Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction, do I hereby consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title BlitzGirl the Next, that it be known for all Time, and for all of time, that you have truly and properly Waited for It. And also in commemoration of the awesome speed with which you have drunk from the seaish river of the One True Thread, do I bestow upon thee also the title BlitzGirl the Fast. Furthermore, do I consecrate the Gospel of taixzo, a True and Holy Record of your Quest, to be counted among the Holy Books, that it provide inspiration to all Timewaiters, for all time and all of Time."

The crowd went wild with applause, cheering, and curvy waving of banners. With a nod, the Pope signaled the heralds, and the sound of the ram's horn again echoed throughout the land. CasCat and taixzo rose up to share this beautiful moment together. It had been said that the title "BlitzGirl the Next" increases in awesomeness as more are awarded; they both know it to be true, and to at the same time not matter. As CasCat and taixzo attempted to step gracefully off the stage, they were picked up by the crowd and carried off to where cake, molpyberries, and cupcakes await them. Official duties over, the Pope can now turn his mind to the clerecy conspiracy. He stepped off the stage, and walked back to the BlitzRockets while the crowd was distracted by the increasingly joyous and raucous celebrations happening around the food area a little further down the hill.

Thoughts tumbled into his head. It had to be somebody who was always watching... who always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Or, the Pope amused himself, the wrong place at the wrong time. The First Cleric? No, the First Cleric was not nearly competent enough to pull this off - it couldn't be him. Did that mean that it must be him? This was tricky; it might fool a novice cleric, but there was more to contradiction than appeared on the surface. The Pope started through his contradiction training exercises and quickly decided that it was not him. The First Cleric was just an ordinary buffoon; the Pope would have to look further.

Leaning on one of the BlitzRockets, he must have hit the release switch, for the hatch opened with a gentle hiss. The Pope looked into the cockpit again, and there was that red button, right in the middle of all the other screens and lights and knobs and dials and... things. Having already been in the BlitzRocket, he was no longer terrified the way he was when the second scribe had discovered it on the beach. He stood there a long moment, just looking, taking it in. The control glove lay limp to the left of the seat, the screens were dark, all the lights were off, and the BlitzRocket itself was completely silent and inert.

He tried to picture how it was when he first got out of the BlitzRocket, at the moment he had had the epiphany that escaped him the day before, but nothing was coming to mind. He tried to imagine the crowd that had gathered, who he saw, what they said, but it was all a blur, so he decided to re-create the scene in his mind.

The two seats are offset from each other: the rear seat that he had occupied was also on the right, while the front seat, which the second scribe used, was further to the left. And there in the center of the console was the red button. He moved over to stand in front of the rear seat and looked over at all the instrumentation in front of him. It was quite amazing, and he did recognize some of the names from scrolls he had seen. They had not been organized, but he decided then and there that they should be gathered together in a Book of Numbers. He'd mention it to the second scribe when he got the chance. Then a horrible thought came to him. What if it were the second scribe herself who was behind this conspiracy against the clerecy? She certainly had the position, the access, and seemed to know what was going on before he did. This was a new thought, not the one he had yesterday upon landing, but still, it merited consideration, painful as it might be.

He started wondering what it must have been for the second scribe to fly this thing. Just for a moment.

It said, "Hello, Dave".
Jose
<-- previous (NP 862) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)

Nice chapter! Well done, once again!
Wait on.

Spoiler:

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

Looking over the drama, it appears to have hinged on a misunderstanding of how forums work and what forum members can and cannot do.

I'm a moderator on a forum that uses the same software as this one. As such, there's a lot that I could do on that forum to screw with a member's posts, if I were not constrained by my responsibilities as a moderator. For instance, I can edit any content in anyone's posts, delete posts, move posts from one thread to another, merge threads together, close threads, and so forth. However, even with all those powers beyond those of regular users, I cannot change the time stamps of posts nor the order posts appear in a thread. Even for the highest level administrator account, there is no easy way to do that. (It can be done, I believe, by using a database program to directly access the forum's database to change the time stamps of posts. For an ordinary user to do that would require illegal hacking.)

Not knowing how unlikely and extreme a scenario in which a user manages to deliberately change the order of posts in a thread, Charlie appears to have interpreted responses that were reasonably dismissive of that possibility, as instead being dismissive of the seriousness of the offense if someone had done it. Being dismissive of the seriousness of a complaint (as in, "it was only a little poke/tease/joke/shove/whatever, don't be so thin-skinned/such a crybaby/a drama queen") is a common bullying tactic, often used to multiply the impact of a bully's original actions, and some people are understandably going to react strongly to it.

In fact, there were a few responses that were directly dismissive in that way. I think they came from a viewpoint that took for granted that no one could have made it happen on purpose anyhow, making the point moot. Still, not the best way to respond to a complaint.

On the other side of the coin, Charlie (probably without realizing it) essentially accused members of perpetrating a federal computer crime for the sake of a bit of one-upmanship on a thread. That certainly was not a very charitable interpretation of the events either.

I apologize if this seems like beating a dead horse. I didn't see these particular points made above. I hope everyone, especially Charlie, can use a better retrospective understanding to get past it.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:I apologize if this seems like beating a dead horse.

Let's beat a living meowply instead (though you make very valid points)
Zorin_75 wrote:Image
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

I really better not comment on the other half.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
ucim wrote:
in the heading, BlitzGirl wrote:I have developed psychic tendencies from all this otting

I read that at first as I have developed psychotic tendencies... and catching your glee at seeing the rowrmolpy attack Cueball, thought to myself "yep...so she has!". I'm becoming scared of your molpy army!

Psychic tendencies, psychotic tendencies...to-may-to, to-mah-to (ketchup).

So, River Tam?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

HealONG
Last edited by edo on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:<snip>
I apologize if this seems like beating a dead horse. I didn't see these particular points made above. I hope everyone, especially Charlie, can use a better retrospective understanding to get past it.

I always looked at this saying differently. Beating a dead horse may not get you anywhere, but it is still your horse and you can beat it as much as you'd like. After all, it's not hurting anyone. In fact I think a dead horse is the only horse you should beat. Beating a live horse sounds like a terrible thing to do. [end rambling]
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Ninja'd by HES but I have cool smileys

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

Beat dead horse: NOT FUN

Beat wild raptorcat: FUN

ImageImage
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

sford

Postby sford » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:

Like this?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

Returned from outside... hope Meg's alright enough to carry on adventuring :/

Or not, so Cue has to carry her because Megball shipping :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Rule110

Re: Ninja'd by HES but I have cool smileys

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Beat dead horse: NOT FUN

Not only that, it can be dangerous, especially to the mental health of German philosophers:

...The starting point I have in mind is a street scene in the Italian city of Turin, on an otherwise ordinary January day in 1889. Over on one side of the Piazza Carlo Alberto, at the moment I have in mind, a teamster was beating one of his horses savagely with a stick, and his curses and the horse’s terrified cries could be heard over the traffic noise. Finally, the horse collapsed; as it hit the pavement, a middle-aged man with a handlebar mustache came sprinting across the plaza, dropped to his knees beside the horse, and flung his arms around its neck, weeping hysterically. His name was Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, and he had just gone hopelessly insane.
(from The Archdruid Report, "The Sound of the Gravediggers.")
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Chapter 13

Spoiler:

The stage for the commemoration was set between the two BlitzRockets and people began to gather. The Pope wandered between the two BlitzRockets, whose clamshell hatches were still open from the night before, and looked into the cockpit of the one on the left. He didn't notice the First Cleric behind him. "Going for a ride?", he asked the Pope. Startled, the Pope jumped back. "No. Just looking. There's something rather compelling about that red button though, wouldn't you say?"

It was time.

CasCat spread her tiny wings and literally flew up onto the stage. Now, a cat with wings is an awesome sight in and of itself, but CasCat made it look so graceful that the Pope forgot for a moment where he was. The First Cleric started to snicker, thinking "yeah, this is where it happened the last time too!" But the Pope recovered, and of course did not need to read anything from scrolls, as this had become a comfortable and familiar ceremony. The Pope raised his hands above CasCat as she knelt before the Pope. He continued:

"taixzo, arise and kneel", he said. A perky blue figure stirred in the crowd and made his way to the stage. Although the Pope hadn't seen taixzo since he was carried off after he landed, he recognized taixzo as soon as he climbed up and stood next to CasCat. He knelt down before the Pope.

The crowd went wild with applause, cheering, and curvy waving of banners. With a nod, the Pope signaled the heralds, and the sound of the ram's horn again echoed throughout the land. CasCat and taixzo rose up to share this beautiful moment together. It had been said that the title "BlitzGirl the Next" increases in awesomeness as more are awarded; they both know it to be true, and to at the same time not matter. As CasCat and taixzo attempted to step gracefully off the stage, they were picked up by the crowd and carried off to where cake, molpyberries, and cupcakes await them. Official duties over, the Pope can now turn his mind to the clerecy conspiracy. He stepped off the stage, and walked back to the BlitzRockets while the crowd was distracted by the increasingly joyous and raucous celebrations happening around the food area a little further down the hill.

It said, "Hello, Dave".
Jose
<-- previous (NP 862) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)

Amazing!
Also, I have a gospel??

Spoiler:
It said, "Hello, Dave".

Does this mean the Pope is davean?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Beat dead horse: NOT FUN

Not only that, it can be dangerous, especially to the mental health of German philosophers:

...The starting point I have in mind is a street scene in the Italian city of Turin, on an otherwise ordinary January day in 1889. Over on one side of the Piazza Carlo Alberto, at the moment I have in mind, a teamster was beating one of his horses savagely with a stick, and his curses and the horse’s terrified cries could be heard over the traffic noise. Finally, the horse collapsed; as it hit the pavement, a middle-aged man with a handlebar mustache came sprinting across the plaza, dropped to his knees beside the horse, and flung his arms around its neck, weeping hysterically. His name was Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, and he had just gone hopelessly insane.
(from The Archdruid Report, "The Sound of the Gravediggers.")

That's how I want people to introduce me from now on. "His name is ChronosDragon, and he has just gone hopelessly insane."

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

HES wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Also, I've stopped skipping for fear of missing a cool image manip, story segment, song filk, or other work.

Such as a super awesome ottification featuring me, that I totally missed because I skipped that bit :oops:

I get behind in the OTT and wind up overlooking a comic that I'm featured in! This actually made my day and made up for the fact that Megan and Cueball were attacked by a malicious meowlpy.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

HES

Smileys are overrated

Postby HES » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

Goggalor wrote:
HES wrote:
Spoiler:

I get behind in the OTT and wind up overlooking a comic that I'm featured in! This actually made my day and made up for the fact that Megan and Cueball were attacked by a malicious meowlpy.

Credit to Blitzgirl, as I didn't link the original post
He/Him/His Image

BigDaddy

Postby BigDaddy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

hdhale wrote:
BigDaddy wrote:
hdhale wrote:
BigDaddy wrote:If they do kiss I think someone might need to filk "Love Shack" by the B-52's....not me, I'm too busy.

The journey lacks a car (a Chrysler) as big as a whale.

The thread is the journey (whoah)

Hop on the page it fits about fourty
(what rhymes with fourty?)

The thread must be the journey. The Dodge Journey, made by Chrysler, would be lucky to seat 10 (designed for 7), let alone hold forty.

But that's not important now. What's important is that Meg and Cueball head to the Love Shack for some serious survivor sex.

I just rented a Dodge Journey last week for a road trip, it's all related.

I think that gif makes it look like the cat is trying to do uh, something, to cueball. You can't unsee it!

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Chapter 13

Awesomeful, new Acts! Image And the red button, I did not see that coming...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

I've been waiting for the best chance to say that for a whil

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

BigDaddy wrote:
I think that gif makes it look like the cat is trying to do uh, something, to cueball. You can't unsee it!

Their copy of the Kama Sutra has a few mistranslation, which they refuse to correct.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Also, I have a gospel??
You posted signposts... the True Story of your Holy Quest. When I get a chance, I will compile them into the wiki where it will reside among the other Holy Books. (You can do that yourself if you prefer; after all, it's your gospel!)

(Question below contains actual spoiler for Chapter 13 of Acts of the Clerics)
Spoiler:
It said, "Hello, Dave".

Does this mean the Pope is davean?
You'll just have to follow the Prime Directive here.

And thanks ZoomanSP and BlitzGirl for your complements. :) Glad you're enjoying the saga.

taixzo wrote:ETA: Has anyone else found that if you click the "Submit" button too briefly it takes you back to the first page of the thread instead of submitting your post?
Did you notice the javascript on the page?

* ouch! * Ok, I'll slither off to the comfy chair.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

Great new Acts of the Clerics! Was happy to see it return, and I grinned hugely when HAL was revealed at the end :D
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

slinches wrote:I think the raptorcat attack and Cuegan's heroics have been epic enough to be immortalized in song.

Megan, Bloody Megan:
(based on Sunday, Bloody Sunday by U21)

Indeed they have, and you've done that most excellently!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

The meowlpy was stealONG something!

HES

Every teardrop is a...

Postby HES » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

slinches wrote:The meowlpy was stealONG something!

They left their bags unattended for a while at the wowterfall, might have gone then.
Or, he'll find it next ong

Edit: You'll just have to wait, Cueball
Last edited by HES on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:

Like this?
Spoiler:
meowlpywhack.gif

What's up with Cueball's head? Are those his brains sloshing back and forth?
Edited to spoiler cruelty.
Last edited by SBN on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

No, looking for a Band-ONG (as I was so crudely ninja'd from saying), I think.

I'm not sure I like the OTT at the moment, all that glorifying of violence... Thank Randall for ucim and slinches for their creative contributions to raise the level of discourse.

Edit: can people stop quoting that cruel .gif, or at least spoiler it, please? (Edit: thanks!)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HES

Resolved: it's just a plant

Postby HES » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

SBN wrote:What's up with Cueball's head? Are those his brains sloshing back and forth?

Fingers from his other hand?
cowering like this:
Spoiler:
OK, really bad example picture. But you get the point
(Not me. First result for "hand over head" on the famous web search engine)

We know they bleed, maybe they have fingers too...
EDIT: No longer convinced of my own theory. More mustardchives?
Last edited by HES on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:32 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
He/Him/His Image

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

HES wrote:
SBN wrote:What's up with Cueball's head? Are those his brains sloshing back and forth?

Fingers from his other hand?
cowering like this:
Spoiler:
OK, really bad example picture. But you get the point

We know they bleed, maybe they have fingers too...

There's two things obscuring his head there. The top one I think is his arm and the one on the right is a plant that's in the foreground. If you watch closely on the full attack animation, you can see it in the pre-fall frames.

ETA: mscha's .gif of the whole sequence
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:Image

And to fix left vs. right mistake
Last edited by slinches on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

slinches wrote:The meowlpy was stealONG something!

I had to double-check the OTC to make sure this was real. I think I've had to do that more often in the last three xips than in the rest of Time combined!

Also, was something lost, or had Cueball suffered a concussion?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”