1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:05 am UTC

Posting from my phONGe... Which is so slow and BlitzGirl is not slow.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Uzh

Re: 11

Postby Uzh » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:16 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
TimeFrames with raptorcat (including am-bush): 23
TimeFrames of aftermath (up until now anyway): 26

It doesn't feel nearly that long!

Funny, how fast time goes when you enjoy yourself, isn't it?

Georg
"The problem is that humans have these darn biological limitations and if it gets too far from 293 K they'll start complaining, or die." http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=106000#p3483385

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

(also has never been to a Disney park)

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:17 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:...and BlitzGirl is not slow.

Indeed. :mrgreen: I am not many things, including:
azule wrote:<snip> Thanks to BG (the non-drunk one), too.

Eternal Density wrote:Anyhow, it's become rather quiet in here. So I'll cheer y'all up with another song.

It's a Short Wait After All
Spoiler:
Just kidding!

You little mustard, I wanted to see that ottification! Fine, I'll do it myself:

It's a Short Wait (After All)
To the tune of "It's a Small World (After All)"
Spoiler:
When you feel like Time will drag on for yearsH
There's a place you go full of laughs and cheers
It's a thread where we share
And quite soon you're aware
It's a short Wait after all!

It's a short Wait after all
It's a short, short Wait!

We've got gifs and ONGs, stories done for fun
We've got graphs and songs, hats for everyone
So forgo the Outside
On the OTT ride

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:19 am UTC

Time for an update to the Panorama, shortened leg, 5.

This is pre-moving pails and shovels and castle destruction.

Edit: Silly me, just noticed from the overview how flat that mountaintop is. If it's the top of the mountain, isn't that kinda odd? I don't know my mountains, isn't there supposed to be a pointy pinnacle?

Edit2: This was my 500th in-OTT post. I was being a good little helper monkey. :D
Attachments
Time_Panorama_5.png
Details missing. Sorry.
Last edited by azule on Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:15 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Eternal Density

9 and great OTTification BlitzGirl!

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:27 am UTC

azule wrote:Time for an update to the Panorama, shortened leg, 5.

This is pre-moving pails and shovels and castle destruction.

I thought it was her arm not her leg!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

BlitzGirl

Thanks, Eternal Density :)

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:30 am UTC

7, azule! I noticed the tiny River all the way down there. Imagine a wowterfall dropping off of this high plateau!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:55 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Keep in mind that a red bar is a user's last post - not necessarily indicative that they've died. While there is a tendency towards more red bars, that's also because of people who haven't posted in a few newpix/dips/wips but may still be following.

ETA: Wow, not only did mscha ninja me with the same point, but according to the forums, I somehow managed to ninja myself - it showed my own post in the "posts that have been made while you were writing" page.

I don't think any have died, but I guess we'll never know. Should I ask my family to include "known as SBN on the OTT" in my obituary, just in case?

Kieryn wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:She's looking in her bag. Proposed explanation: They accidentally switched bags, and she's just now noticed it.

I like that explanation... and it will lead to some revelation to Megan about some embarrassing item that Cueball brought with him! Ha ha.

Warning, the following bit might be unsuitable for some readers.
Spoiler:
In real life, it could well be that Megan has better supplies than Cueball, assuming they are out unprepared. Our first aid kit contains pads, not for a monthly visitor, but because they soak up all forms of blood the same.

Kieryn wrote:EDIT: Actually, let's get back on track... and remember the evidence. She has recognizable claw marks on her leg and we saw that frame where the cat does appear to strike her knee with it's claw. It really probably is her blood. Ah well... it would have been an interesting spin though for it not to be :)

But maybe she did wound the cat, (or it was pre-wounded, which might explain the attack) and its blood has mingled with hers, and future newpix will reveal that she has become a catpire. Or, maybe not.
SkUrRiEr wrote:In other completely unrelated news, post rate has dropped off somewhat since the meowply attack: we're currently running at 4 newpix per newpage, back then we were running at less than 1 newpix per newpage.

It is the wipend.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

foilman

Postby foilman » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

Time passONG...

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

azule wrote: just noticed from the overview how flat that mountaintop is. If it's the top of the mountain, isn't that kinda odd? I don't know my mountains, isn't there supposed to be a pointy pinnacle?

Um, Table Mountain?

Yes I have been up.

Yes it was via the cable car.

No I'm not an Africaversist (I lean towards Randallversism).

I wonder if Cuegan will find a cable car at the other end of the tabletop though (probably in some state of disrepair)?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

@azule: Enjoyed your ottification. Also Eternal Density's below:
Eternal Density wrote:Now I'm never going further up.
Never gonna get back down.
Never gonna do more sandcastle building.
Never gonna find out why -
Never gonna give you up?

Sciscitor wrote:It confirms my speculation, that fewer new users find the OTT (or do find it but refrain from posting).
I suspect the latter. A thread this seaish could be intimidating in that even if one's post gets responded to, finding that response (to continue to participate) could be a challenge, especially if the response does not include a quote.

Jose
edit: mustard name
Last edited by ucim on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

As for the mountain, I'm pretty sure Cuegan's not at the top yet. This might just be a little plateau. Remember this frame:
Spoiler:

SBN wrote:
Kieryn wrote:EDIT: Actually, let's get back on track... and remember the evidence. She has recognizable claw marks on her leg and we saw that frame where the cat does appear to strike her knee with it's claw. It really probably is her blood. Ah well... it would have been an interesting spin though for it not to be :)

But maybe she did wound the cat, (or it was pre-wounded, which might explain the attack) and its blood has mingled with hers, and future newpix will reveal that she has become a catpire. Or, maybe not.

Wereraptorcat!

Image+Image+Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

Since we've had the same backdrop for a while now I've decided to update the panorama.
It's now covering a timespan of about 800 newpix. The wowtrees look tiny...
Some retouching required at the fence to make it look neat, and scaled down to 75% because FF starts to not like the size...

Edit:
Oh no, I was so preoccupied with Gimp for the last newpix that I completely missed Azule's version. Sorry! Didn't want to step on anyone's toes. Retracted.

Spoiler:
pano.png
Go Minim go!

keshat

Postby keshat » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:[...]

Spoiler:
pano.png

That reminded me we're going to the top of the mountain, to see something. Excitement.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

I de-coma to find that all the beer I had stashed in my corner at the back of the cave is gone. What? What do you mean Buffygirl drank it all? All of it!? :shock: Oh, well, yes, hm. With a post like that...I see. I shall have to restock once I have returned from my wipend trip up into the mountains.

Glad to see Megan is OK and they are able to bandage her up. I do hope that nothing terribly exciting happens whilst I am away. I'd hate to miss it :mrgreen: Keep the faith all a wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

PROTECTONGLY...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Right, y'all, let's get to it. Let's gimm'em a B
gimm'em a B
et's gimmem a"u"
KLet's givem a U
Let's giovem a "m"
Let's give 'em a "em" o--- but face it!

Hmm, so far that spells "BBuUmem" or possibly "BBuUmemo." Then to face it, add a smiley. BBuUmemo 8-)

Some kind of recognition code, no doubt. Like asking Kenneth for the frequency. What's the memo, Bub? 8-)
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

BlitzGirl

"It's okay, make out with me and we'll call it even."

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

Interesting. Image Cueball's flag? Is that simply because he was the one to save it, or because he was the owner of the flags in the first place?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

mscha wrote:PROTECTONGLY...
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot

Aw, the flag got ruined. No wonder newpixbot is feeling protective.

Expense Report for project Understand Everything (First Part)
Dilgunnerang (1) - lost
Blood (surprising amount) - lost
Flag (1) - ruined
Bag (1) - damaged
Naivete about the natural world (2) - unaccounted for, presumed lost
Grapes (~2 Kg) - acquired

Eternal Density wrote:It doesn't feel nearly that long!

That's what... NO! Must... resist... temptation...

BlitzGirl wrote:Interesting. Image Cueball's flag? Is that simply because he was the one to save it, or because he was the owner of the flags in the first place?

When you're backpacking, things tend to become "yours" by virtue of being the one to carry it around. Which is a good reason to avoid arguments:
"I've had enough. Get out of my tent!"
"What makes it your tent?
"I've been carrying it all week."
"Oh yeah? The fabric, maybe, but the poles are mine and I'm taking them with me."
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

CasCat

Re: "It's okay, make out with me and we'll call it even."

Postby CasCat » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Interesting. Image Cueball's flag? Is that simply because he was the one to save it, or because he was the owner of the flags in the first place?

Well, it did come out of Cueball's bag (and Megan was surprised (and delighted) that he had it). I'm glad they clarified that Megan used the flag for a bandage; I'd guessed that was likely but it was hard to tell.

And that means that this flag, at least, is made of CLOTH! (Or something suitable for bandage-making, anyway. Not plastic, wood, or glass....)

And, um, nobody answered. How do I post an ONG? Do I save it onto my computer and post it from there, or what? I don't want to accidentally post an updating ONG that turns into a spoiler, you see, but it would be nice to get in on the ONG fun...

CasCat Blitzgirl the Fast
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

D'awwwONG
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SkUrRiEr

Postby SkUrRiEr » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
SkUrRiEr wrote:In other completely unrelated news, post rate has dropped off somewhat since the meowply attack: we're currently running at 4 newpix per newpage, back then we were running at less than 1 newpix per newpage.

It is the wipend.

My daily internet consumption is pretty much constant, so I tend not to correlate with things like that :)

That said, now that it's been pointed out, it makes sense.

BlitzGirl

In which Cueball professes his love for Megan

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:

Well, it did come out of Cueball's bag (and Megan was surprised (and delighted) that he had it). I'm glad they clarified that Megan used the flag for a bandage; I'd guessed that was likely but it was hard to tell.

And that means that this flag, at least, is made of CLOTH! (Or something suitable for bandage-making, anyway. Not plastic, wood, or glass....)

And, um, nobody answered. How do I post an ONG? Do I save it onto my computer and post it from there, or what? I don't want to accidentally post an updating ONG that turns into a spoiler, you see, but it would be nice to get in on the ONG fun...

Taking this piece-by-piece:
1. (redacted - Cas is right - the flag is the bandage. More d'awww!)
2. You got an excellent response two posts after you asked it. Here you go:
HES wrote:
CasCat wrote:(By the way, how does one post an ONG, anyway? she asks, sheepishly...)

You need the direct link to the image "hash" for the particular frame. You can find this from msca's archive, or by viewing the image on xkcd (right click -> view image). For this one, it's http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/902e44 ... b4b45f.png (just make sure it isn't time.png, as that changes with the comic and becomes a spoiler in the thread)

Throw that in [img] tags, invent a word, and Bob's your uncle.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

nerdsniped

Two Things

Postby nerdsniped » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

Now that things have calmed down a bit (Inside and Outside), I have time to say, as many have said before, just how amazing the OTT is.

I had been separated from the pack, huffing along about 20 NP behind, under the weight of a big pile of Outside; but keeping a weather eye on the OTC. When the moleopardy appeared, I immediately began blitzrocketing, knowing that the newpix to come would not be safe to cross alone. I wasn't able to add to the discussion, but it was great to be able to follow along -- so, just add my thanks to everyone who contributes to the group, whether ottifying, edifying, or just plain postifying.

Also: if Megan and Cueball don't get it together now, the brain-eating amoeba has definitely gotten to both of them.

ETA: he brought the flag *for her*? Something interesting there... the sandcastle was a joint project, I would have thought that sandcastle supplies would be more a "for us" thing. Hmm...
Last edited by nerdsniped on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

Quick blindpost to congratulate BlitzGirl on her 1000th post. Happy 1000th! Image
1000, you say? Isn't that a bit late? No, 1000 posts in this thread. (Well, 1011, by now.)
(No cake, but I'm sure you have plenty left from the last time...)

I don't think it'll be long before you're on top of the Credits, where you belong. Image

Oh, and happy 1100th as well...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

CasCat

Re: In which Cueball professes his love for Megan

Postby CasCat » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
CasCat wrote:

Taking this piece-by-piece:
1. (redacted - Cas is right - the flag is the bandage. More d'awww!)
2. You got an excellent response two posts after you asked it. Here you go:
HES wrote:
CasCat wrote:(By the way, how does one post an ONG, anyway? she asks, sheepishly...)

You need the direct link to the image "hash" for the particular frame. You can find this from msca's archive, or by viewing the image on xkcd (right click -> view image). For this one, it's http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/902e44 ... b4b45f.png (just make sure it isn't time.png, as that changes with the comic and becomes a spoiler in the thread)

Throw that in [img] tags, invent a word, and Bob's your uncle.

Apologies to HES; somehow I missed your excellent explanation. And thanks, BlitzGirl the Original, for throwing it forward to me!

CasCat BlitzGirl the Fast
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Expense Report for project Understand Everything (First Part)
Dilgunnerang (1) - lost
Blood (surprising amount) - lost
Flag (1) - ruined
Bag (1) - damaged
Naivete about the natural world (2) - unaccounted for, presumed lost
Grapes (~2 Kg) - acquired

Made my day. Image
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

BlitzGirl

This is a post.

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

You're welcome, CasCat. :) And thanks, mscha! It's hard to fathom that all of my before-Time posts count for only 8% of my total now. Image
I don't belong on top of the credits - I'm just a lowly blitzer, traveling the thread of Time like the rest of y'all. Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

Double D'awwwong

ETA: spoken in a small, almost "bye"-like font?

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

BlitzGirl

Kiss him! Kiss him!

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

Megan's response is a little smaller than Cueball's talking, but not nearly as riverish as the bye:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Ketchup after a proper nix of coma (first in a while)

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

Ottifications! Image
azule: awesome Ode to an EdgeMolpy!
Eternal Density: Megan's Last Lament is lovely, but it took me forever to figure out what the original was. (For some reason, I dismissed Never Gonna Give You Up early on, I thought the meter was wrong.) [Can y'all please mention this with your ottifications? Even if you're sure that everybody surely knows it?]
BlitzGirl: ⁴ It's a Short Wait (After All)!

ggh wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:mscha: Excellent work on the animation. I love how clear and sharp it is!

All this time, I've been careful to do only straight pixel magnification without any fancy filters, since those can only remove information, not add it, right? Wrong! Image
When I saw your blown-up molpycat yesterday, I realized that a fancy resize does in fact at least create the appearance of more detail. (The legs and ears came out beautifully and recognizable, and in mine they were just blown-up pixels.) So now I've changed my molpy zooming strategy, and indeed, looks a lot better.
There isn't a right answer to this. There are the original pixels, and they are what they are. When you make it bigger, either you make a straight big-pixel image, which is true to the original pixels of course, but adds additional high frequency information that is not misleading, but can be distracting. Fortunately the viewer can filter out that high-freq data by squinting. Or you can do the filtering yourself, and get something that looks cleaner, but will have artifacts of its own. There is no perfect filter.

Anyways, I'm not saying this to influence how you make these (just, please keep making them!) but to say that you weren't wrong.

I know I wasn't wrong, but the end result (at least for Lucky) was so much better when doing it the ‘wrong’ way than the ‘right’ way, which shocked me a little...
In future cases, I'll probably try both and see what works best. For tiny molpies, blowing up pixels might be best, for larger, recognizable, ones (that elemolpy that's going to show up in 34 newpix), probably a filtered resize.

azule wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:I hacked into Google to find the rest of the story. Here it is:

Lucky the Unlucky Leopard
Lucky the leopard is alone in the world. She doesn't have a mother, a father, or any sisters or brothers. Lucky is also very clumsy. Everything she does ends with a CRASH! BANG! BOOM! But she always lands on her feet, that's why her name is Lucky!

One day, Lucky decides to find a family. Will she have any luck?
Lucky is taking a walk on her favorite hill when she sees a boy and a girl. They look friendly! Maybe they can be her family? But she is a little bit shy, so she follows them at a distance.
After a while, the boy and girl finally arrive at the top of the hill. (That took them quite a long time! They are not such good climbers as Lucky is – at least on a good day when she's not so clumsy.) There's a hut there! The boy and girl take a look around the hut, and then start to play. They are making a sandcastle. Lucky really likes sandcastles!

Finally, Lucky finds the courage to go and meet the boy and girl. She runs towards them, and gives the boy a big hug!
But what happens now?? The girl is not so nice after all! She picks up a stick, and starts to hit Lucky! That is not nice! It really hurts!
Lucky quickly runs off, and starts licking her wounds.
Today is not the day that Lucky finds a new family. But tomorrow, there is a new day! Will she try again?
Cute story. But I like it better when newpixbot posts cute things, cuz he's so cute. lol. *crazy person* *winks to mscha*

So you're saying I'm not cute??
(Don't worry about it; if someone'd describe me as cute, I'd start looking for a straightjacket. Image )

BlitzGirl wrote:It was the flag. She picked up the fallen flag from the ruined Sandcastle and he put it back in his bag.

I was going to remark that he probably didn't put it in his bag but was going to use it as a bandage, but I've been ninja'd ... by the OTC itself!

Azule and Zorin_75: thanks for your panorama's! To deal with large image issues, perhaps use a service like zoom.it? (Example.)

buffygirl, I hope you feel better now...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

8 BlitzGirl I'm hoping they're siblings just for you :P

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

Neat dialogue about the flag :D
ucim wrote:@azule: Enjoyed your ottification. Also Eternal Destiny's below:
Eternal Destiny wrote:Now I'm never going further up.
Never gonna get back down.
Never gonna do more sandcastle building.
Never gonna find out why -
Never gonna give you up?
You even have to ask?

@buffygirl: beer bad

@me: better get back to my regularly scheduled coma

@mscha: ok I've edited in a helpful link
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:21 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

mscha

Re: 8 BlitzGirl I'm hoping they're siblings just for you :P

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:@mscha: ok I'll edit it in but only as a spoiler

Or how about an unspecified link so that people get you-know-what properly?
ETA: Thanks! (That line “Now on Instructables, vote here” is quite a spoiler, though...)
Last edited by mscha on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

7 I think I'll be comaing when it reaches 0

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:@mscha: ok I'll edit it in but only as a spoiler

Or how about an unspecified link so that people get REDACTED properly?
Funny you should mention...

mscha

Re: This is a post.

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I don't belong on top of the credits - I'm just a lowly blitzer, traveling the thread of Time like the rest of y'all. Image

You're right, of course. We all are, and nobody belongs “on top of the list”. (Therefore, we shouldn't take it too seriously, and I don't think we are.)
But since the list is there, and someone has to be #1, I think it should be the grande dame of the OTT.

----------------

Here's an updated Lucky & Aftermath animation (50 frames):

Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Sibling Cuegan love could only be wincest

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

I guess. But grande dame makes me feel old again! Image
And yay animation! It's so much easier to track the progress of the flag-bandage with the embiggening.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Whatever Buffygirl is having, I want some

Postby HES » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

I shook the bottle, but the lid was off. Some ketchup was lost, and the rest is all mixed up...

BlitzGirl wrote:Megan's response is a little smaller than Cueball's talking, but not nearly as riverish as the bye:
Spoiler:

Never noticed that it was lower case. That's how to really show feeling in an all-caps comic...

mikrit wrote:They fight, and bite.
They fight and fight and bite.
Fight, fight, fight! Bite, bite, bite!
The Molpy and Cuegan show!

:lol:

TimeLurker wrote:How about a bit of optimism. Meagan just didn't finish her sentence earlier. "This is a surprising amount of blood"..."for such a small scratch".

or "This is a surprising[ly little] amount of blood"..."for what looks like a larger wound", indicating that it isn't really bleeding that much.
She seems fine now anyhow

@Eternal Destiny, how will it reach 0 if you're comaing?
@CasCat no problem, it's easy to overlook things here. Especially when staying on guard for meowplies...
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Re: Sibling Cuegan love could only be wincest

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I guess. But grande dame makes me feel old again! Image

Just go with this definition:
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003 wrote:grande dame French [grɑ̃d dam]
n
a woman regarded as the most experienced, prominent, or venerable member of her profession, etc. the grande dame of the OTT
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

Pregnant Pausong

akacat

Re: Episode IV: A New Graph

Postby akacat » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:In recent wips I have read a number of comments about how the OTT is slowing down. If it please the thread, let me here present another graph I've been toying with─it directly addresses that topic.
Spoiler:
This graph shows the rate of OTC newpix against the rate of OTT posts, with assorted markings and notations. (Spoilered for seaishness.)
This page presents the graph in two forms: one with the bare line of OTT against OTT, and the other with assorted markings. (PNG versions for the IE8-limited.) Rate of posting is easier to make out on the bare one, but the markings provide some interesting additional information.

We can make a number of observations, some of them rather surprising. The main line plots OTT directly to OTC (yes, there are over 36,000 data points): the steeper the line, the more posts per newpix. In the first wip, of course, the post rate is very high.

On the sixth xip, when the newpix rate is halved, I expected to see the line steepen, since there was more Outside time for posting to each newpix. Instead, after a fewpix the post rate drops sharply. That seems to be the first point at which a significant number of Waiters decide, "Randall's jerking our chain," and begin to bail out. Notice, over the next wip, the density of red hash marks indicating where a Waiter posts for the last time, starting even before Time fails to end on April 1st.

Despite the flight of so many Waiters, the OTT stays fairly active, slowing down somewhat when Megan takes a nap, only to surge forward again at the appearance of La Petite. And when Megan says, "bye," we see a substantial surge in first-posters, right up through the Fade-out.

But when we join Megball in their explorations, interest begins to drop off again; there's another surge of last-posts over the next few xips. Not until the "Neat" tree and the early molpy activity does the decline stop, though some of the slowdown may have been due to school finals.

Since then, OTT activity has been fairly steady, aside from yesterday's surge after the raptorcat springs. The wiply wobble is quite visible, as posting slows down on the Outside wipend (just before the wip lines on the graph.) There's been a slight decline in recent weeks, but nothing I'm going to worry about just yet. After all, summer's started; the sunny Outside is bound to look attractive for a little while, until insanity sets back in....

What a neat set of graphs! Is the point where the posting interval of the OTC changed indicated on it?
ETA: Nevermind! I spotted it. No idea how I missed the note the first time.

jjjdavidson wrote:P.S. Updated version of my earlier graph relating post count, span of time, and posting regularity. There are some noticeable changes; for instance, KarMann sadly dropped far down the chart. He posted recently for the first time in wips, increasing his posting span to nearly the entire span of Time, but shooting his regularity score all to heck. Sorry, KarMann! I'm glad you came back!

I'm the most regular! This may be the only context in which I've ever been regular, much less the most regular. :lol:
Last edited by akacat on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:18 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

BlitzGirl

Does this mean they've been naked the whole Time?

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

It's weird to see the flag visibly wrapped around Megan's stick-leg.

mscha wrote:Just go with this definition:
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003 wrote:grande dame French [grɑ̃d dam]
n
a woman regarded as the most experienced, prominent, or venerable member of her profession, etc. the grande dame of the OTT

Okay, that definition is better. :) Thanks!
Oh, and I found a ketchup smiley for buffygirl when she gets back: Image
...Of course that's ketchup! It's red, isn't it? It's in a bottle and everything!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”