1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:31 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:Completely off-topic but too good to not share: after 5 yips of precipitous decline, fireflies are suddenly almost back to normal numbers in my neighborhood.

Neat! What's happening to bring them back?

After how they built the upper levels on the castle, I can't wait to see what they do with that hut!

ETA: Page pope! Predictions please! If they stay at the cabin, what home improvements will Cuegan make?
Last edited by ggh on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

edo

Postby edo » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

Yes, thirsty=bad
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:36 pm UTC

Hey xall* still reading the thread, still stuck in the past, still loving it all, and still blindposting!

I have to say that the thread's feeling, slow, but surely, has been changing, it has been approaching chat-room like.. huh, what's the word? Erm, yeah, it's like reading a chatroom log.

That's not bad or anything, but I never reply to things from chatroom logs, so these last few days it's been a lot more reading and a lot less posting (which hopefully is acceptable Image)

*xall = Short for y'all, w'all, t'all and all y'all, i.e. it refers to everyone it could refer to, including me, because eventually, I'm going to reach this post I'm making and read it.

ZoomanSP wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
ZoomanSP wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:<snip> ZoomanSP, ucim and ChronosDragon made serious, valiant attempts at silliness and they are, therefore, to be given membership into the "Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam" with all of the rights, privileges and honors appertaining to that Order. Congratulations. <snip>

My first title! *happydance* Image

Actually, your avatar needs a hat, which is a turtle, which needs a hat, which... all the way up. 8-)

I would be honoured to get a hat for my avatar! But I can wait for it (after all, that's what w'all are practising now since the beginning of Time).

Oh, Oh! Hat request! This means you, ZoomanSP, can become an important person!* Here it's the hat that I made for you, and I hope it's to your liking!

Gah! All the time spent hatting the micromolpyturtles and the nanomicromolpyturtles... it took me like, forever! And only 4 levels of recursion are visible Image - oh well, such is the size limit of avatars!

*Which you already were because xall are all important! But people can still request hats!

Hopefully one week delivery is acceptable, since I make them as soon as I see the request Image

Anyway, see xall in my past, thanks for slowing down the NewPagemaking on wipends, and good mornoonight Image
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

HURTONG

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
ZoomanSP wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:<snip> ZoomanSP, ucim and ChronosDragon made serious, valiant attempts at silliness and they are, therefore, to be given membership into the "Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam" with all of the rights, privileges and honors appertaining to that Order. Congratulations. <snip>

My first title! *happydance* Image

Actually, your avatar needs a hat, which is a turtle, which needs a hat, which... all the way up. 8-)

I would be honoured to get a hat for my avatar! But I can wait for it (after all, that's what w'all are practising now since the beginning of Time).

Oh, Oh! Hat request! This means you, ZoomanSP, can become an important person!* Here it's the hat that I made for you, and I hope it's to your liking!

Gah! All the time spent hatting the micromolpyturtles and the nanomicromolpyturtles... it took me like, forever! And only 4 levels of recursion are visible Image - oh well, such is the size limit of avatars!

*Which you already were because xall are all important! But people can still request hats!

Hopefully one week delivery is acceptable, since I make them as soon as I see the request Image

Anyway, see xall in my past, thanks for slowing down the NewPagemaking on wipends, and good mornoonight Image

Yay!!! My turtle is hatted with a turtle which is hatted with a turtle which is hatted with a turtle which is hatted with a turtle! Thank you very much! So cool! Image Now I'm a hatted important person!

One wip delivery time is virtually immediately, given that we all know very well how to wait for it. I'd like to see all the micromolpyturtles and the nanomicromolpyturtles, especially since you put so much effort in making them. So maybe you can upload the pic somewhere, or send it to me?

Oh, and HAL9000: As you know, I asked both the official haberdashery and your bootlegger millinery for a hat. Please feel free to either skip my request, now that I'm already hatted, or express your creativity, if you feel like it, and I will use them both.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

Blindposting from 6 NPs ago: A small, furry, black meowlpy is scratching my leg, making it bleed, here on the outside, as a way of saying "excuse me, ms. human, ma'am, but may I have some of your attention, please?" I'm either going to trim those claws or else get a thwapping stick. Thus is the OTC teaching real-life coping skills to the timewaiters.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:Blindposting from 6 NPs ago: A small, furry, black meowlpy is scratching my leg, making it bleed, here on the outside, as a way of saying "excuse me, ms. human, ma'am, but may I have some of your attention, please?" I'm either going to trim those claws or else get a thwapping stick. Thus is the OTC teaching real-life coping skills to the timewaiters.

As someone owned by two small, black, furry (and somewhat pointy) black meowlpies, I certainly hope you choose the "trim the claws" option. (Not to mention, paying attention to the Feline Overlord...)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

Classic answers to "does it hurt?"

• "Only when I breathe."

• "Not as much as finding out you've been cheating on me."

• "Oh, please. Spending thirty hours in labor delivering you -- that hurt." (Probably not applicable here.)

• "What do you think, genius?"

• "On the FRS subjective pain rating scale, I'd give it between :| and :( ."

ETA: and the actual ONGswer (also a classic) is:
Last edited by Rule110 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

addams wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
Spoiler:
ZoomanSP wrote:
Miller & Surlykke (2001) wrote:Freely flying, unidentified moths exhibit a variety of behavioral responses to bats and to synthetic batlike signals (Roeder 1967a; for recent results, refer to Acharya and Fenton 1992). Moths far from the source often turn and fly away, whereas those close to the source show zigzag and looping flight, power dives, or passive falls.

New info on that: it turns out that at least some moths actually use jamming signals along with their evasive maneuvers. 8-)

Would be cool to see a baptor...

Completely off-topic but too good to not share: after 5 yips of precipitous decline, fireflies are suddenly almost back to normal numbers in my neighborhood.

Completely off topic:(Unspoilered by BlueCrab)
Fire filies!

They are amazing! I have seen them.
I honetly thought Fire flies were made up.
I was an adult. I was an educated adult but the subject had not, really, come up, much.

People had told me they had seen fire flies.
Other people had told me they had seen UFO's.(shrug.)
Other people told me they had seen Grimlins. (shrug.)

I am not Hyper-judgmental.
But; Some things I take with a grain of Salt.

Well; I started listening to people talk about Fire Flies.
I wanted to see this thing. It was a long way from here.
It was amazing.

They Are like something Magical!
It was so strange. I felt like I was losing my depth perception.
I could not tell how far away from me The Lights were!

You are so fortunate to be able to see a Wonder of Nature.
I went night after night to look at the Flashing Lights.

It seemed they should have made a sound.
Like Fairies from Disney Movies.

Fire Flies are Real! It is wonderful that the numbers are going back up.
There have been a few sighted out west. Not many.

There are Glow Worms here. I have seen the Glow Worms, once.
I did not know what they were. So; It frightened me.

Human! We respond to Strange lights with Fear. (shrug.)
It is a beautiful World. Did all of Your people understand Fire Flies, always?

My mother told me about them.
I thought, "Maybe. Maybe she is making it up the way she and her girlfriends make up Kitchen Witches."

Of course, I Said, "I believed in Fire Flies."
Now; I do! With the Internet, everyone believes in Fire Flies.

Yay! <several applause smilies> that was lovely, thank you so much! Fireflies are definitely magical: if you see them in childhood they're with you always, and if you don't see them until adulthood they're amazing in an entirely different way. (It occurs to me that the same is true for Fireflies :wink: ) I had been getting sadder with each year that the fireflies declined, and seeing them rebound this year brings me such joy, especially when I now have the grand babies to put under their spell. :D

More firefly discussion:
Spoiler:
HES wrote:: What's the normal number of Multi-purpose Mid-bulk transport spacecraft in your neighbourhood?
Sadly, I can only confirm the intermittently glowing, insectile variety.

ChronosDragon wrote:: A baptor...a.k.a., a carnivorous dinosaur with bat wings...

So...

A dragon?
Absolutely! Especially one small enough to enjoy eating fireflies! (sheesh, people, where did you think dragons got their fire from, anyway?)

Goggalor wrote:I was on a date the other night and saw lightning bugs for the first time in a terribly long time. It was really quite amazing. I was upset that I didn't have a mason jar around in order to relive my childhood.
I'm so glad you saw them! Did your date enjoy them, too?

Eternal Density wrote:Praise Nathan Fillion! (Or Owl City)
Always praise Nathan Fillion :D

SBN, your introduction to the OTT is terrific. I wonder there's any equivalent to full-page ads that we could use to get it out to the masses...?
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Classic answers to "does it hurt?"

"Only when I breathe."

"Not as much as finding out you've been cheating on me."

"Oh, please. Spending thirty hours in labor delivering you -- that hurt." (Probably not applicable here.)

"What do you think, genius?"

"On the FRS subjective pain rating scale, I'd give it between :| and :( ."

Spoiler:

Reading this as dialogue comes out ε.

ε: weird
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
Rule110 wrote:
Spoiler:
Classic answers to "does it hurt?"

"Only when I breathe."

"Not as much as finding out you've been cheating on me."

"Oh, please. Spending thirty hours in labor delivering you -- that hurt." (Probably not applicable here.)

"What do you think, genius?"

"On the FRS subjective pain rating scale, I'd give it between :| and :( ."

Reading this as dialogue comes out ε.

ε: weird

True. I just added bullets to the list, so it won't look as much like dialog.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

ergman wrote:Aight jjj, I'll play your game:
jjjsurvey (in no order):
Favorites : [snippety]
Suspenseful : [snippety]
note: I find that there are a lot of things that I liked that couldn't really be represented in one frame, like Cuegan sliding in the sand.

ergman, thanks for being the first to respond to my data request─and for making me realize I wasn't clear about what I want. Frame 1354, for instance, strikes me as one you hold as a favorite in retrospect, but seems unlikely to be one that made a particularly big first impression.

I'm looking for the frames that made the biggest impression or created the biggest suspense in real time, when you first saw them on the ONG or on ketchup. Not your fault at all─I wasn't clear enough. I've edited my original post to make my emphasis more obvious.

I'll probably drop frame 1354 off your list, but the others still work for my purpose. But if you think your real-time "Wow"s would be different, feel free to update your list. (Or don't; it's still just a project for fun, nothing important.)
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote: What were the most significant frames for you?

My favorite frames: the one where Megan says: "But that's what the first part of not ending looks like", and the one with Cueball's variant: "This is what the first part of understanding everything looks like". Because these lines are jokes, and I hope for more jokes, even though it is quite clear that Time is not intended to be a comic comic.

Most exciting frames: Snake! But only because mscha's molpy detection agency had revealed the slithermolpy several frames before. It would have been less exciting on its own.

The manip that made me stay in the thread: rule110's faucet images. I realized I wouldn't have understood the second one if I hadn't followed this crazy needle-pulled thing.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

HEALONG...
Wait on.

Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:wrONG
Spoiler:

gotta replace those fluids!

Well, there is a stream behind the house. Hopefully that should be able to keep Megan hydrated.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

BlueCrab

Re: 3rd recipient of the Smiley-4-Smiley program: ggh

Postby BlueCrab » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

Firefly stuff
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:ggh, for providing us with a custom moon smiley on the Newpage of Smiles, I present you with this accompanying star-smiley:

Sad but true: I have never seen a firefly in person.
How would we see a firefly in Time? Perhaps Time is full of fireflies, shining too brightly to see, just like its stars.

Someone could make a gif out of a segment of Exodie's Constellation over Time? I hope you get to see them someday. This is the perfect time to visit coastal Virginia because the fireflies are out, mosquitoes aren't too bad yet (note the emphasis,) and the Southern Magnolias are beginning to bloom. There are many things about Southern summer that I'm not fond of, but the magnolias...

SBN wrote:I haven't seen it in person, but there is a place not overly far from me where the fireflies flash in unison.

I've seen that, it's quite beautiful! I've also seen them do the wave: A wide, uneven band of fireflies was hanging just over some gravestones in a small old graveyard surrounded by bushes (they're everywhere here.) Several of them twinkled at once at one end of the band and the twinkling segment travelled all the way to the end, while the first bugs started lighting up again. With three or four waves going at a time it was a lot like watching ocean waves in the moonlight.
Oh, and congratulations on getting the lawnspyder! Please keep us up to date on any tricks you teach it! :P

ggh wrote:what's bringing them back
I'm not sure. :| The page I linked to says that their larvae live in rotted wood and forest litter and that light pollution and traffic are contributing to their decline. It could simply be that our unusually cool, wet spring has rotted more wood than usual... Can't wait to see the reaction of my neighbors when I ask them to keep a little bit of rotten wood around to help the fireflies...

On topic: Megan's thirst could simply be because of the fight with the meowlpy... Right?

ETA: Mopey-Popey wallpaper (don't you remember doing the Mopey-Popey dance in nursery school? ‘You put your right paw in, you take your right paw out, put your right paw in, then you shake it all about...) and an elevator so Megan can get on top of the hut to build sandcastles up there!
(Small refinement of the Hokey Pokey there, in case the reference is needed)

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

SMACKONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HES

I don't think we get fireflies over here

Postby HES » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Spoiler:
ergman wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Why are Cuegan so transfixed by the beesnake?
taixzo wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I went Outside in the cold walking and nearly photographed a mob of molpies for you guys but while I was whipping out my phone, they all hopped away :(
How about them apples?

Were they ribbitmolpies or rabbitmolpies?
No.

catmolpies on pogosticks?
No.
HES wrote:
Kangamolpies?
Yes.
BlueCrab wrote:Completely off-topic but too good to not share: after 5 yips of precipitous decline, fireflies are suddenly almost back to normal numbers in my neighborhood.

Praise Nathan Fillion! (Or Owl City)

When I read it, I thought of the show and immediately got that one-hit-wonder in my head. What's that saying about great minds?
Also, yay! Kangamolpies!

Angua wrote:Megan's feeling thirsty after a lot of blood loss. Not a good sign.

Waiting to see if she'll be able to stay upright.
edo wrote:Yes, thirsty=bad

It could just be that they've been walking a while, and is completely unrelated...

Aww, I missed the smileypage?
Spoiler:
He/Him/His Image

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

All pages are smileypages

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

HES wrote:Aww, I missed the smileypage?
Spoiler:

Wait for it.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

mscha wrote:SMACKONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot

As in, Megan's going to smack Cueball, or are you hungry, newpixbot? Do I want to know what you eat?

I just caught up with yesterday's weather - I hope any Waiters in Western Canada come through the floods safely, and any in New Zealand are tucked in safely away from the winter storms.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

REPLENISHONGTHEFLUIDS...
Wait on.

Spoiler:

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypovolemia wrote:The patient may feel dizzy, faint, nauseated, or very thirsty. These signs are also characteristic of most types of shock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypovolemia

I am still pretty concerned for Megan's wellbeing.

Also, Just realized my last post (where I talked about my 500th being on the top of newpage 901 and the 36000th post) was itself my binary 1000000000th. Neat :-)
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

Hmm, did buffygirl finally go as mad as a hatter? You need to lay off the mercury.

azule wrote:Edit: Silly me, just noticed from the overview how flat that mountaintop is. If it's the top of the mountain, isn't that kinda odd? I don't know my mountains, isn't there supposed to be a pointy pinnacle?

It can be whatever shape it wants. It's a mountain8.

BlitzGirl wrote:She must be bleeding an awful lot to turn a black flag red. :P

Now I sort of want a 'Don't You Make My Black Flag Red' to the tune of 'Don't it Make My Brown Eyes Blue'.

I was surprised that the tiny flag could wrap around her leg, but I guess her leg is one-dimensional.

BlitzGirl wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:I find time-traveling fluttermolpies hard to believe. Maybe it's the fluttermolpy's brother?

Spoiler:
InigoFlutterbee.png

How about Imago Flutterbee?

I predict that Cueball will go to the stream to get more water, and whichever one of them we stay with will meet another person. Or maybe just find a molpy or some baobabish scenery.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

We call them lightning bugs here. Though they look nothing like lightning. Still, fireflies just sounds wrong to me. I didn't know their numbers were declining. :( We used to catch them and put them in jars to use as impromptu lanterns. Ours never blinked simultaneously, though I've heard some do, and think it would look awesome. I did notice that the ones we saw most in my youth had a long sustained period of lighting a second or two or three long, whereas the ones I see today most all do quick blink blinks of light. I didn't know why that might be until I read that different varieties have different timings of their lights.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

It's been a lONG time since I did this the last time...

Edit: Is he scratching his head or looking for something?
Last edited by NoMouse on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:Ours never blinked simultaneously, though I've heard some do, and think it would look awesome.

I don't remember if I've ever seen any, though I know I've seen glow worms. However, I do remember learning about the differential equations that model how individual fireflies deviate from their natural blink frequency to match those around them, so it must happen! They can only change frequency by so much though; if their usual frequencies were two far apart they wouldn't be able to synchronise.

Aww… charlie_grumbles might have liked this post, what with the maths and all.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
newpixbot wrote:SMACKONGS...
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot

As in, Megan's going to smack Cueball, or are you hungry, newpixbot?

I think poor newpixbot been waiting to ONG this ever since Megan smacked Lucky.

BlueCrab wrote:Do I want to know what you eat?

Probably not. (Crab, mainly, I think...)

ETA
phpBB wrote:Who is online