1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
SBN wrote:How to Time.
I would change that to "New to Time?" Let's not start out sounding prescriptive!

SBN wrote:...if you post the new picture it should be done in a new post...
I would mention the ONG here: "if you post the new picture (called the ONG), it should be done in a new post, even if it would be a double post. It tells our backup robot (newpixbot) that the ONG has been taken care of."

I was very deliberately not using any of our, um, special language. I do realize I left out how to make sure you get the hash and all that. My thoughts are if we start getting into that we'll scare people off before they even get here. So, everyone, be nice if folks get it wrong. So did I at first, and at least once late, when the servers weren't cooperating. Since we can edit posts, and we have newpixbot, these are things we can deal with. (And, I remain a little sad that the competition to post it got so intense that we lost Professor Grumbles.)

The [ How to| New to | Welcome to ] Time question is a fair one, but I don't know that I am the best one to answer it. I was being pretty tongue in cheek, since I proceed to say "any way you want" but if that isn't coming across then maybe it should be changed.

Should the title be changed? Should the part about the new picture be expanded? Discuss.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

IceIsNice

Postby IceIsNice » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

I've been a Waiter since the beginning, and a long-time follower of the OTT. The past few days have made me a little worried about Cuegan.

Anyway, I just figured it was time to say "Hi".

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
ucim wrote:
SBN wrote:How to Time.
I would change that to "New to Time?" Let's not start out sounding prescriptive!

SBN wrote:...if you post the new picture it should be done in a new post...
I would mention the ONG here: "if you post the new picture (called the ONG), it should be done in a new post, even if it would be a double post. It tells our backup robot (newpixbot) that the ONG has been taken care of."

I was very deliberately not using any of our, um, special language. I do realize I left out how to make sure you get the hash and all that. My thoughts are if we start getting into that we'll scare people off before they even get here. So, everyone, be nice if folks get it wrong. So did I at first, and at least once late, when the servers weren't cooperating. Since we can edit posts, and we have newpixbot, these are things we can deal with. (And, I remain a little sad that the competition to post it got so intense that we lost Professor Grumbles.)

The [ How to| New to | Welcome to ] Time question is a fair one, but I don't know that I am the best one to answer it. I was being pretty tongue in cheek, since I proceed to say "any way you want" but if that isn't coming across then maybe it should be changed.

Should the title be changed? Should the part about the new picture be expanded? Discuss.

I think the title is sufficiently jokes. And I don't think we need any more detail. There aren't really any terrible mistakes people can make, so its fine if they just learn as they go.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

*time portal opens, arrow with scroll on attached flies through and embeds itself in the nearest
baobab*
AluisioASG wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I find that, for some reason, I feel somewhat left out of the various stories. Many of the Timewaiter-based ones include BlitzGirl, buffygirl, Kieryn, etc., but I do not appear in any yet. Authors, consider this a formal request to appear in a story in some form or another.

Ouch. How am I going to include another AI?
Well, I'm sure I can think of something.

Yaaaaaay thank you thank you! Sorry if I sees a little rude in that post, I meant it to be like "Ooh! Ooh! Can I join?", but I can see how it might have come across as "geez, why haven't I been in one yet?"
I keep forgetting that I have to write differently than I speak.
*portal closes*
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

CasCat

My first ONG

Postby CasCat » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

BlitzGirl the Fast the First

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

I added a thing in my sig. Is it too subtle? I wish I could give it a tooltip or some other descriptive thing.

ETA: In fact yeah, gonna make it text instead. It's too hard to tell what the images mean.

For posterity:

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Yeah, since they weren't really related, it was confusing. The text version makes it more clear, by virtue of the text being self-explaining.
Last edited by azule on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Also, Just realized my last post (where I talked about my 500th being on the top of newpage 901 and the 36000th post) was itself my binary 1000000000th. Neat :-)

Congratulations! 8-)

Lightningflyfirebugs:
Spoiler:
Tatiana wrote:We call them lightning bugs here. Though they look nothing like lightning. Still, fireflies just sounds wrong to me. I didn't know their numbers were declining. We used to catch them and put them in jars to use as impromptu lanterns. Ours never blinked simultaneously, though I've heard some do, and think it would look awesome. I did notice that the ones we saw most in my youth had a long sustained period of lighting a second or two or three long, whereas the ones I see today most all do quick blink blinks of light. I didn't know why that might be until I read that different varieties have different timings of their lights.
I use both names interchangeably; I figure it's because both my parents grew up on the west coast. I blame that for a lot of things. :lol:
Angelastic wrote:
Tatiana wrote:Ours never blinked simultaneously, though I've heard some do, and think it would look awesome.
I don't remember if I've ever seen any, though I know I've seen glow worms. However, I do remember learning about the differential equations that model how individual fireflies deviate from their natural blink frequency to match those around them, so it must happen! They can only change frequency by so much though; if their usual frequencies were two far apart they wouldn't be able to synchronise.
I'm so glad I mentioned the firelightningflybugs, thanks everyone for the great responses! They make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. (Wait, newpixbot isn't cooking me, is he? Hello?)
[pleeeaase?]Any chance of a gif of a bit of 'Scisitor's Constellation as a lightningfirebugfly smiley?[/begging]

Angelastic wrote:(re: differential equations for fireflies, which should be a book title at some point) Aww… charlie_grumbles might have liked this post, what with the maths and all.
Yeah, I hope he reads it at some point. Miss you, thread_brother. :(

NoMouse wrote:ONG and
Spoiler:
» Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:54 pm UTC
Hi, I just wanted to say that I'm not dead1, I've just been very busy lately. Now I'm finally free of Outside duties. I actually stopped reading the OTT continuously on the newpage 532 (last post on np531) which means I would have to read 371 newpages if I decided to go blitzing. Which I'm not going to2. I've been still checking the OTC regularly and lurking in the OTT from Time to Time (I've also written several posts in the Other needle-pulled things3). I have read last 10 newpages or so because it was very dramatic both in the OTC and OTT.

So, I want to say you are all awesome and I'm glad I can now start posting again since I've made this announcement.

Now I have to coma, it's 1:54 AM here.

1 not that anyone cares
2 I know, heresy!
3 GOTO 2
Ha! Thanks for posting again, I couldn't remember who had put that tiny ‘not that anyone cares’ in their return post (remember when they delivered more than once a day and you could send things return post?) You kind of disappeared right after I delurked, nice to see you back :D
Also @libra, the first time I remember seeing you is during the meowlpy attack, did anyone ever answer your ‘molpy’ question?

mscha wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:Do I want to know what you eat?

Probably not. (Crab, mainly, I think...)
Oh, those little fiddler crabs? They look like they'd be sweet. :P

Edit: Scisitor's Constellation, not Exodies'! Bad Crab, BAD Crab! No tartar sauce for you tonight!
Last edited by BlueCrab on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:44 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

SBN wrote:There are many ways to properly enjoy Time. The best way is the one that suits you best. This can change. Do not feel you must enjoy Time the way anyone else does if that way does not suit you. Do not feel you must continue enjoying it the same way if it stops suiting you.

I'd leave out the "properly". Just state, that there are many ways to enjoy Time. Noone has to enjoy it properly.

In other news:
I've finished The Constellation of Time 3. I twerked it a bit around and the huge version is the hugest I've ever made of any image: 49 megapixels! All versions can be seen and downloaded at http://xkcd.mscha.org/sciscitor.
cot3.jpg
Constellation of Time 3
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

(Possible time portal. I don't know how far in the past the original message is, I quoted a quote)
ucim wrote:--snip--
My own username means "I teach" and "I learn" in Serbo-Croatian. (I cheated by using an ordinary c instead of the proper SerboCroat letter, to make it easier to type.) I like the idea that teaching and learning happen together.
--snip--

Oh, now I see. If I add the correct diacritics - "učím" - it means "I teach"1 in Czech too. It never came to my mind that it could mean that, even though diacritics is not sometimes used in the electronic form for technical reasons (or because of laziness).

And if we are explaining the origins of our usernames - mine is based on my real first name. It was created many years ago by reversing my name, replacing one letter with another that sounds the same and then translating part of it from Czech to English. Easy. :mrgreen:

BlueCrab wrote:
NoMouse wrote:ONG and
Spoiler:
» Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:54 pm UTC
Hi, I just wanted to say that I'm not dead1, I've just been very busy lately. Now I'm finally free of Outside duties. I actually stopped reading the OTT continuously on the newpage 532 (last post on np531) which means I would have to read 371 newpages if I decided to go blitzing. Which I'm not going to2. I've been still checking the OTC regularly and lurking in the OTT from Time to Time (I've also written several posts in the Other needle-pulled things3). I have read last 10 newpages or so because it was very dramatic both in the OTC and OTT.

So, I want to say you are all awesome and I'm glad I can now start posting again since I've made this announcement.

Now I have to coma, it's 1:54 AM here.

1 not that anyone cares
2 I know, heresy!
3 GOTO 2
Ha! Thanks for posting again, I couldn't remember who had put that tiny ‘not that anyone cares’ in their return post (remember when they delivered more than once a day and you could send things return post?) You kind of disappeared right after I delurked, nice to see you back :D

Thanks. I'm glad that I wasn't right about that 'not that anyone cares'. :D

1 If you want to say "I learn" in Czech, you have to add a special reflexive pronoun - "učím se" = literally "I teach myself". It stays in the same form for other persons - "učíš se" = "you teach yourself", "učí se" = "he/she/it teaches himself/herself/itself" and so on. It's actually kind of interesting and weird when I now think about the literal meaning.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
SBN wrote:There are many ways to properly enjoy Time. The best way is the one that suits you best. This can change. Do not feel you must enjoy Time the way anyone else does if that way does not suit you. Do not feel you must continue enjoying it the same way if it stops suiting you.

I'd leave out the "properly". Just state, that there are many ways to enjoy Time. Noone has to enjoy it properly.

In other news:
I've finished The Constellation of Time 3. I twerked it a bit around and the huge version is the hugest I've ever made of any image: 49 megapixels! All versions can be seen and downloaded at http://xkcd.mscha.org/sciscitor.
cot3.jpg

cool. Things have changed a lot since The World Of Time.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

@Sciscitor: Awesome constellation - yet again! If I remember right, the connections between people are "who quoted who", right? I wonder how the constellation would change if you also included "who referenced who", the way I referenced you in this post without quoting you. IMHO it's an equally valid (and rather common) connection, but suited to a slightly different form of reference.

NoMouse wrote:Oh, now I see. If I add the correct diacritics - "učím" - it means "I teach" in Czech too. It never came to my mind that it could mean that, even though diacritics is not sometimes used in the electronic form for technical reasons (or because of laziness).
That's why I left them off too. (I don't even bother with the accent at the end of my name any more.) I wonder if diacritics will die due to keyboard conventions. Unicode can be such a pain in the tush! (Back in my day we didn't even have ASCII - there were only ones and zeros, and you needed a special requisition form to get the ones. (Zeros were all over the place.) :)

NoMouse wrote:And if we are explaining the origins of our usernames - mine is based on my real first name. It was created many years ago by reversing my name, replacing one letter with another that sounds the same and then translating part of it from Czech to English. Easy.
With a system like that, who needs encryption!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

edfel

Postby edfel » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

What are the bets currently on? Will they go left or right? Will Cueball see some people in the structure (or the otherway round), and they'll come to help with advanced medical kits? Or will Cuegan ride back home on a raft, or on Horslpy back? Or paragliding?
I know I need to expand the map to the left... maybe GLR thought we didn't want Cuegan to go farher since they reached the border of the map: I hope not, I don't want to be responsible for Megan's attack by Lucky :(

Anyway, I've added "human marks" sightings to the map. I'd like to do the same with molpies, although I still don't know how to do it simply (is the wiki complete about molpy sightings? are the animated gifs collected in one place?)
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

edfel wrote:What are the bets currently on? Will they go left or right? Will Cueball see some people in the structure (or the otherway round), and they'll come to help with advanced medical kits? Or will Cuegan ride back home on a raft, or on Horslpy back? Or paragliding?

The mountaintop structure is the humble home of the world's wisest guru who happens to be named Randall. He tells them that he will help them get home, but only if they bring him the broom belonging to the wicked molpytch of the west. Not knowing which way is west, they decide to camp out and sing boom de yada until the guru acquiesces.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

azule
Saved

EmbarazONGdo

Postby azule » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

Ooh, he's helpi ng her up. She is defs pregs. I know .I'm an expert now.

Edit: spel.
Last edited by azule on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:30 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

VirgONG ONG, or, helpONG up

ed: ninja'd by azule. Virginity intact???!?
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

SBN wrote:I was very deliberately not using any of our, um, special language. I do realize I left out how to make sure you get the hash and all that. My thoughts are if we start getting into that we'll scare people off before they even get here. So, everyone, be nice if folks get it wrong. So did I at first, and at least once late, when the servers weren't cooperating. Since we can edit posts, and we have newpixbot, these are things we can deal with. (And, I remain a little sad that the competition to post it got so intense that we lost Professor Grumbles.)

I agree. Keep it as it is, adding all that detail might indeed scare people off.

Sciscitor: ³ constellations!
učím: I can't speak for Sciscitor, of course, but to reliably detect ‘references’ would probably be tricky, if not impossible, to do reliably – especially for those users who picked a common word as their username.

edfel: Thanks for the continued map updates! With regard to Molpy sightings, I don't think they're collected anywhere, but I'd suggest only marking the major Molpy sightings. (Only those that Cuegan noticed, perhaps?)

ETA:
yappobiscuits: happy 300th! Have some cake!
Spoiler:
Last edited by mscha on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:(Possible time portal. I don't know how far in the past the original message is, I quoted a quote)
ucim wrote:--snip--
My own username means "I teach" and "I learn" in Serbo-Croatian. (I cheated by using an ordinary c instead of the proper SerboCroat letter, to make it easier to type.) I like the idea that teaching and learning happen together.
--snip--

Oh... I didn't see ucim's message before, so I'll also quote a quote... When I first saw the username I immediately read it as "učim", and I kept reading it like that ever since. It never occurred to me that it actually was intended. :)

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
NoMouse wrote:And if we are explaining the origins of our usernames - mine is based on my real first name. It was created many years ago by reversing my name, replacing one letter with another that sounds the same and then translating part of it from Czech to English. Easy.
With a system like that, who needs encryption!
Funny you're saying that. I forgot to say that it was meant as a password at first. But then I liked it so much, that I decided to start using it as a nickname (of course I'm not using it as password anymore :D )
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

mscha wrote:yappobiscuits: happy 300th! Have some cake!
Spoiler:

Aww, otter cake is otteriffic! Thanks :D
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

LittleBunnyFuFu

Postby LittleBunnyFuFu » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

edfel wrote:What are the bets currently on? Will they go left or right?

Here's my WAG at what happens in the near future. This frame becomes static (much like the sand castle screen) with Cuegan coming and going. They'll generally rest while Megan recovers. Backing of the theory, it has a structure for recovery plus they had built a sand castle as a throw back to the earlier story. There may even be a fade to white.

Although I would not bet on it in the slightest. If anything I would bet against it in an attempt to game fate. :-)
I came
I saw
I napped

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

Well. I've only got 15NP remaining as of this posting, having cut the gap that remained yesterday cleanly in half. Before I coma, I just want to express my endless praise for the Nightmare Before Christmas filkers. I know I'm trying not to respond to individual posts too often, but I love that film toouch to not say anything. I'm glad that it's showed up in the OTT.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:(of course I'm not using it as password anymore :D )
Of course not. You're using "CorrectHorseBatteryStaple", like all the rest of us!

BytEfLUSh wrote: When I first saw the username I immediately read it as "učim", and I kept reading it like that ever since. It never occurred to me that it actually was intended. :)
I always wondered if anybody would recognize it.

re: detecting references - I'd just use anything that starts a line with @ and is followed by a Timewaiter's name. That should get most of them. Of course, it wouldn't get this one, but that's ok. It's not a named reference.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
edfel wrote:What are the bets currently on? Will they go left or right? Will Cueball see some people in the structure (or the otherway round), and they'll come to help with advanced medical kits? Or will Cuegan ride back home on a raft, or on Horslpy back? Or paragliding?

The mountaintop structure is the humble home of the world's wisest guru who happens to be named Randall. He tells them that he will help them get home, but only if they bring him the broom belonging to the wicked molpytch of the west. Not knowing which way is west, they decide to camp out and sing boom de yada until the guru acquiescesThey find the witch, melt her with semencancercoffeebabies, bring back the broom, click their stick-heels together and chant "there's no place like the OTC" and find themselves back on the beach.

FTFY.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:ed: ninja'd by azule. Virginity intact???!?
Just doing my duty. Protecting the honor of virgins. ;)

Edit: Post 555!! Cool beans.
Last edited by azule on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

edfel

Postby edfel » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

LittleBunnyFuFu wrote:
edfel wrote:What are the bets currently on? Will they go left or right?

<snip> There may even be a fade to white.

Or a fade to red, while Megan dies of blood loss, and Cueball dies of blood loss after failing a blood transfer to Megan. Camera back to the beach, where we realize that Lapetite's been much happier building sandcastles than going out exploring the world and getting killed.
Actually, I'm not betting on that either.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

ucim wrote:re: detecting references - I'd just use anything that starts a line with @ and is followed by a Timewaiter's name. That should get most of them. Of course, it wouldn't get this one, but that's ok. It's not a named reference.

It would have to somehow account for shortened names too, like a lot of people just call me "Yappo", most people just call HAL9000 "HAL"...

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

standONG without help!

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
NoMouse wrote:(of course I'm not using it as password anymore :D )
Of course not. You're using "CorrectHorseBatteryStaple", like all the rest of us! Jose

Randalldammit, ucim, now I've got to go and change mine.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
ucim wrote:re: detecting references - I'd just use anything that starts a line with @ and is followed by a Timewaiter's name. That should get most of them. Of course, it wouldn't get this one, but that's ok. It's not a named reference.

It would have to somehow account for shortened names too, like a lot of people just call me "Yappo", most people just call HAL9000 "HAL"...

And, while you are the only yappo, at least for awhile we had more than one Hal.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

SBN wrote:And, while you are the only yappo, at least for awhile we had more than one Hal.

The other Hal is plentifully present, just not often in this thread.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Megan can walk ONG...

But should she? That's an entirely different question, for which the answer is very likely: no.

ETN that this is frame 2300!
Last edited by mscha on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

There once was a young molpy named Niclep.

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

Well it looks like I was wrong about Megan needing to lean on Cue.
Perhaps later. It's a long way.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

Is it just me or does Megan look shorter than usual? She's usually as tall as Cueball.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:13 pm UTC

Cue seems to be standing on the raised bit.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:13 pm UTC

Hello again everyone. Been off on my honeymoon in Europe for the last month. I don't know if I have time to re read the last months forum posts now though :/

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

There're enough sticks and such lying about that perhaps Cueball can make her a crutch, or at least a cane. Do they have a knife, or perhaps a hatchet, in one of their bags? (Whatever a steam bottle does, I doubt it's much use for trimming tree limbs to size.)

Latent22 wrote:Hello again everyone. Been off on my honeymoon in Europe for the last month. I don't know if I have time to re read the last months forum posts now though :/

Welcome back, Latent22! It's been a busy month; feel free to skim, skip, scan, or other speed-reading technique starting with a sk- sound.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:Hello again everyone. Been off on my honeymoon in Europe for the last month. I don't know if I have time to re read the last months forum posts now though :/

It's possible to read in like a week, if you devote at least 8 hours a day to it.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:

It's possible to read in like a week, if you devote at least 8 hours a day to it.

yeah but if have 8 hours a day of work to do right now :/

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

An updated animation of Megan and Cueball in the aftermath of Lucky's attack hug:

63 frames already...
I bet they're going to forget their final dilgunnerang, which Megan put behind her before standing up...

Welcome back, Latent22! (Edit: you've still got 16 hours a day left for the OTT. Image )
Last edited by mscha on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”