1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Pikrass

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Pikrass » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:00 am UTC

Blindpostig from... NP 851. Ouch. I hope you're all good and well in the future! I want to join you before NP 1000, so don't post too quickly, please!

mscha wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:The Droste Effect.

For those of you who don't know the etymology of this, Droste is a Dutch brand of cocoa, which has been using the following design on their boxes for over a century.
(Warning: animation a bit unsubtle, might be slightly unpleasant to look at – or worse.)
Spoiler:

Funny enough, in France when we see this effect we relate it to the Vache qui rit (a kind of cheese I don't really like).

Spoiler:
Last edited by Pikrass on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Eternal Density

He wondered how it came to be there.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:03 am UTC

Lot's of informatiONG
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

wizpretz

Re: What is a giant beach-lump?

Postby wizpretz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:12 am UTC

HES wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:So I figure the potential people at the top - which can't be more than a day or so away - are different to the people in the hills - which are a long way away.
Which seems to indicate that Cuegan have walked for several days. So when did they coma?

We assumed each frame runs into the next, but there could well be gaps. We also haven't seen them eat much, defecate, etc. We can assume mundane parts are excluded

I've actually asked the same question before. We've seen them comaing 4 times before, although all those times were basically naps out in the open. They've probably been traveling between 3-6 dix unless they're some kind of superhumans (they do have remarkable sandcastle building skills). I hope we never see them defecating.
AluisioASG wrote:Just thought of something:

1. We have two main characters.
  2. They live on a relatively isolated world.
  3. We are watching them, almost as if that was the exact reason of their existence.

Do y'll see what I see?

I definitely see the connection, but the theme is probably different.
I love that movie. :D
Edit: Coma-time

Eternal Density

Niclep heard an unusual sound and turned to see...

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:34 am UTC

HES wrote:What is a giant beach-lump?
It's part of the beach that's been piled up. With flat bits of trees sticking out.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

DavidRa

Re: What is a giant beach-lump?

Postby DavidRa » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:52 am UTC

wizpretz wrote:I've actually asked the same question before. We've seen them comaing 4 times before, although all those times were basically naps out in the open. They've probably been traveling between 3-6 dix unless they're some kind of superhumans (they do have remarkable sandcastle building skills). I hope we never see them defecating.

I refer the honourable member to the discussion around NP 1061-1065 in which Cueball seems to be digging a hole then filling it in. (I think I have the right time period there).

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:54 am UTC

I'm not entirely sure I agree with Cueball's logic.

You're injured. Lets go further into unknown territory that we know nothing about except for the fact it's inhabited by aggressive raptorcats.

edit: both grammar and spellink in a two line post. Need moar coffee.
Last edited by Khrushy on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:47 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Niclep saw BlitzGirl returning from the Outside (not really)

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:56 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:<snip> It's been a busy month; feel free to skim, skip, scan, or other speed-reading technique starting with a sk- sound.

sketchup?
Spoiler:

@Latent22: Welcome back! Hope you had a wonderful honeymoon!
@Khrushy: Me neither. But then, I've never really agreed with Cueball's logic!
@Sciscitor: Awesome update to the Constellation! For some reason the main body of this one on the low-qual version reminds me of the shape of the U.S., but one from an alternate universe where the capital of mscha is located where Denver is in our universe.

Eternal Density wrote:If only we had someone who could open tears between worlds.

Indeed. Fetch me my knife which is subtle!

k.bookbinder wrote:<snip> But I really would have more expected a bear, or wolf, or coyote (oh my!) encounter, in regards to predatory threats. This is solely based on my interpretation of their surrounding environment. Of course, as a Randallversian, I should have known better than to suggest that the GLR, Creator of Time, should limit himself to any convention known to us. For if he wills an attack by a moleopard, than so be it.

Back when I was a general Randallversian, I expected raptors. But my inner Africanist is thrilled by the raptorcat attack. :mrgreen: Okay, perhaps not the results of the attack. Perhaps just the fact that it was done by a preditoraptor that could definitely be from Africa. Now where's my molpyrhino?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

It was a strange small creature with two legs!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:01 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:If only we had someone who could open tears between worlds.

Indeed. Fetch me my knife which is subtle!
Heh.
Re title: it's LaPetite!
not sure if this is really such a good idONG:

BlitzGirl

Don't listen to me.

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:06 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Re title: it's LaPetite!

Well, mustard! I've been trying very hard to separate myself from LaPetite and now I've gone and conflated us again by accident. :?

That is a very worried sort of yeah, Cueball. It would be nice if you could tell us just how far from home you are, and what your home is called, how many people live there, and its exact coordinates so we may find it on a globe.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:16 am UTC

Prediction: "It" is a holographic simulation designed to study them. It's an experiment ran by aliens. The mustard is a flaw in the rendering hardware. Within 10 Newpix they will find much more mustard and see through the simulation into the underlying code. Queball will be able to manipulate it and fight the holographic "agents" they send in.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

HES

Definitely don't listen to me

Postby HES » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:16 am UTC

Othercomic reminder

Don't worry Blitzgirl, none of us were listening anyway I kid, we love you.
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

Niclep waited for it to move closer.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:23 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

Well, mustard! I've been trying very hard to separate myself from LaPetite and now I've gone and conflated us again by accident. :?
It's funny because I've been intending her appearance since the beginnix.
HES wrote:Othercomic reminder

I forgot about that, again :P
But I do remember back when screensavers were relevant, and necessary.

kenmelken

Trapped in the past all of the sudden...

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:28 am UTC

I have NOT gotten this far behind in quite some TIME. I feel trapped in past (and since my de-lurk around NP650, I've kept REMARKABLY up to date, so this is weird). Keep having a few minutes to try to catch up, but not long enough and I fall more behind.

Just a couple blind responses (still about 7 NP behind):

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Cueball: Hey, I know falling off of cliffs. Remember the snake?

Talking of the snake, did we determine what kind of slithermolpy it was? Cueball's description was a little weird. (It was probably discussed in the bit that I skipped read so fast that I didn't remember)

Wiki-warrior to the rescue! Questions like this are one of the reasons WHY I try to write the entries I do. :) I think you'll find a very satisfactory response here: http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/%22Snake!%22

BTW, I've discovered that someone has been adding some dumb redirects to the wiki. This is very annoying and inconvenient. :evil: I'm afraid I don't have time to fix it now and will have to later unless someone can now, but following half the links now redirects to the newly improved home page. I like the new changes, but seriously, if I'm trying to go to a specific article, don't send me to the home page, no matter how cool it is. Deal?

Also... as for the jjjdavidson survey: I totally have several frames in mind, but want to think a bit more. I'm just putting a reminder here for my future self to post it once I reach this point in my ketchup if I haven't already by then.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

HES

That's what the reminder is for :)

Postby HES » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:35 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:intending her appearance since the beginnix.
HES wrote:Othercomic reminder

I forgot about that, again :P
But I do remember back when screensavers were relevant, and necessary.

I remember waiting for my uncle's computer to go into the screensaver so I could watch it. It was a forest scene, and a Budweiser advert. There were some frogs.
I wasn't alive in the 80s, and it still amazes me how I have a computer with multiple processors, gigabytes of RAM, terrabytes of disk space, and two ~22" flat screen monitors with a combined resolution of 3840x1080. I still have floppy disks with ms paint files I was saving in case Y2K destroyed everything (though nothing that can read them)[/rambling]

@Kenmelken Hurrah! Somehow, despite the link in my own signature, I had forgotten that the wiki actually covered stuff like that :oops: Nice work keeping it going :)
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

I love y'all, too!

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:37 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

It's funny because I've been intending her appearance since the beginnix.

It's not funny - the OTT (and fate) has conspired against me! Apparently I picked the wrong time to do my ketchup. Image

Neil_Boekend wrote:Prediction: "It" is a holographic simulation designed to study them. It's an experiment ran by aliens. The mustard is a flaw in the rendering hardware. Within 10 Newpix they will find much more mustard and see through the simulation into the underlying code. Queball will be able to manipulate it and fight the holographic "agents" they send in.

That explains why the OTT is having so much deja vu.

(That explains why the OTT is having so much deja vu.)

Redundant attachment spoiler:
Spoiler:
TheChosenCueball.png

More deja vu:
MatrixCueball.png
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

foilman

Postby foilman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:06 am UTC

ONG-k.

HES

TurtleSlothMolpy

Postby HES » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:25 am UTC

Jeez, the thread's as slow as the comic this mornip. And I forgot to coma again :?
He/Him/His Image

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:00 am UTC

Carry ONG:

[edit]
And only one post between ONGs... Must be a new record.

HES

And that post was complaining about the lack of posts...

Postby HES » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:03 am UTC

Flotter wrote:Carry ONG:
cueball wrote:I'll carry everything

What a gentleman!

Is it me or is the lettering weird on the "I'll"?
He/Him/His Image

Flotter

Re: And that post was complaining about the lack of posts...

Postby Flotter » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:12 am UTC

HES wrote:
Flotter wrote:Carry ONG:
cueball wrote:I'll carry everything

What a gentleman!

Is it me or is the lettering weird on the "I'll"?

No, you're right. The "I" in "I'll" is serif, while the other "I"s are sans-serif.
Last edited by Flotter on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Angelastic

Re: And that post was complaining about the lack of posts...

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:13 am UTC

HES wrote:Is it me or is the lettering weird on the "I'll"?

Were you expecting a lower case l?
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:15 am UTC

Blindposting from page 890 to say: OMR Cueball is being attacked by a molpycatlionraptor!! Will he die? People are speculating the cat is being friendly and Megan doesn't look panicked, but I think she's looking around for the shovel to hit the cat over the head and chase him of. But if Cueball's been injured, what will they? I don't think there are medical supplies in their bags.

OK, back to mini-blitzing. The suspense is killing me! I'll have to do a ketchup post later. Of course, I should be a-coma, or doing some of the Outside stuff I'm behind on, but I can't wait to find out what happens.

I did want to mention that I noticed that zombie outbreak several pages ago. People, please, I try to keep my work and my waiting separate! Thank Randall Agent kenmelken was around to handle the situation. Excellent work! I also noticed that there was one particular Waiter that seemed to be responsible for the majority of the zombies. I don't want to name names; let's just say her name rhymes with "MitzFirl." I'm afraid the agency has picked up on the increase in zombie generation; that person might notice some unmarked vehicles following her. Just sayin'.

There have been amazing stories, songs, pictures, cakes, etc. You guys rock!

OK, see you all again--someTime.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

nlitchfield

Re: Trapped in the past all of the sudden...

Postby nlitchfield » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:25 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:BTW, I've discovered that someone has been adding some dumb redirects to the wiki. This is very annoying and inconvenient. :evil: I'm afraid I don't have time to fix it now and will have to later unless someone can now, but following half the links now redirects to the newly improved home page. I like the new changes, but seriously, if I'm trying to go to a specific article, don't send me to the home page, no matter how cool it is. Deal?

You may have to argue with whoever is pretending to be a dumb webserver

StormAngel

One New Graphic!

Postby StormAngel » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:01 am UTC

My first ONGTM

ETA

TM It's good to finally have an ONG under my belt in my pants :)
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:12 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:To the tune of "Blood on the Saddle" by Tex Ritter, as sung by the big doofus bear in the original Disney Country Bear Jamboree attraction.

Well, that's all well and good, but shouldn't it be more like:

0 pints of blood on the ground
0 pints of blood

fight one cat, spread it around
1 more pint of blood on the ground

1 pint of blood on the ground
1 pint of blood

etc. ?

Ronald (just catching up)
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:23 am UTC

rvloon wrote:
Rule110 wrote:To the tune of "Blood on the Saddle" by Tex Ritter, as sung by the big doofus bear in the original Disney Country Bear Jamboree attraction.

0 pints of blood

1 pint of blood

etc. ?

The Full song (assuming you are a compiler)

Code: Select all

for (i=0;i < 10;i++)
{
     printf ("%d pint(s) of blood on the ground, %d pint(s) of blood. \n fight a cat, spread it around, 1 more pint of blood on the ground \n \n", i, i,)
}

If you do the dance you'll need a cat. Only dance it to the end if you're suicidal and I can't guarantee you'll be able to fight the cat after a few rounds.
Oh, and here pints are only used as in "glasses of beer", so a pint of blood is only suitable for vampires.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:42 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Spoiler:
rvloon wrote:

0 pints of blood

1 pint of blood

etc. ?

The Full song (assuming you are a compiler)

Code: Select all

for (i=0;i < 10;i++)
{
     printf ("%d pint(s) of blood on the ground, %d pint(s) of blood. \n fight a cat, spread it around, 1 more pint of blood on the ground \n \n", i, i,)
}

If you do the dance you'll need a cat. Only dance it to the end if you're suicidal and I can't guarantee you'll be able to fight the cat after a few rounds.
Oh, and here pints are only used as in "glasses of beer", so a pint of blood is only suitable for vampires.

Better not fight that many cats, after about 8.5 cats you run out of blood (assuming imperial pints, with US pints you might just make it to the full 10 cats).

rvloon

Re: I guess we know her favorite color now...

Postby rvloon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:43 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Hmm...okay then, Megan. Kind of a mood-killer, but maybe Cueball thinks it's endearing.

I wonder what color the flag was originally?

I thought a red flag was one of those euphemism for monthly/four weekly discomfort featuring internal displacement of varied tissue?

Ronald
Spoiler:

rvloon

Re: (First Quest signpost: Newpage 223)

Postby rvloon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:51 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I can see how this would be intimidating with the OTT, considering it's four times as long as it was when I set out on my Quest to blitz it all.

Well, maybe, but as with all things in life it is not how long it is, but what you do with it.

Ronald

You can always add 'in your pant's and 'that's what she said' if you so desire.
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:57 am UTC

Khrushy wrote:I'm not entirely sure I agree with Cueball's logic.

You're injured. Lets go further into unknown territory that we know nothing about except for the fact it's inhabited by aggressive raptorcats.

edit: both grammar and spellink in a two line post. Need moar coffee.

They walked for days along the sea, and presumably more days along the river. Going home is a long trip now, but it appears that going on will get them to people relatively soon.
Eternal Density wrote:So I figure the potential people at the top - which can't be more than a day or so away - are different to the people in the hills - which are a long way away.
Which seems to indicate that Cuegan have walked for several days. So when did they coma?

Same as us, between frames, so they don't miss anything.
ChronosDragon wrote:Well, we know they have to be upriver of Megball. Otherwise the wood and leaves and things from the people in the hills wouldn't come down.

That was their river, not the new river.

SkUrRiEr wrote:As a non-blitzed noob, I find it somewhat easy to get what people mean. There's a few odd conventions, e.g. week => wip, (And needle pulled things, comas, and other such madness) but nothing overly complicated. And even if I don't understand, it's still fun!. :)

SBN wrote:
HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:As someone who lurks in the background, usually checking in less than daily, I can confirm the thread is a bit intimidating to an outsider.

Any ideas on how to make it less so? We have the wiki but that might be intimidating itself.

I'd be really confused without the wiki :)

@"How to time" wiki discussion and stuff

Excellent work - I note that it's already on the OTW, so this is slightly belated :)

Only slightly, and it is certainly still open for improvements.

kenmelken wrote:BTW, I've discovered that someone has been adding some dumb redirects to the wiki. This is very annoying and inconvenient. :evil: I'm afraid I don't have time to fix it now and will have to later unless someone can now, but following half the links now redirects to the newly improved home page. I like the new changes, but seriously, if I'm trying to go to a specific article, don't send me to the home page, no matter how cool it is. Deal?

I haven't done anything myself except post the how to, and a couple tweaks to it, but you are right, the links have to go to the right spot. Is there a trick to that? I feel like I'm the last person in the world to learn how to edit a Wiki, and now I'm afraid to try more, lest I break something.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

foilman

Postby foilman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:01 am UTC

BelONGings

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:02 am UTC

Whew, glad to see Megball survived the attack. Glad to see the molpyraptorcat did too. I want to know why Megan isn't fine, but it's almost [heresy]4 AM[/heresy] here! I was supposed to be in bed several newpix ago. But I had to see how things turned out. I figure the top of page 900 is a good place to stop.

This was an exciting several pages, but a sad one too. I can't believe two of our most active posters (and much-loved posters!) have both decided not to post anymore. I see charlie_grumbles posted again. Even though he said it would be his last, I'm hoping that as I read ahead I'll see posts from both him and Kieryn.

Remember, don't worry, feed squirpys.

Good night and good luck.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:13 am UTC

akacat wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:In other news:
I've finished The Constellation of Time 3. I twerked it a bit around and the huge version is the hugest I've ever made of any image: 49 megapixels! All versions can be seen and downloaded at http://xkcd.mscha.org/sciscitor.
cot3.jpg

Zooms in X100 or so... I see I'm way out in left field there :D . Probably keeps everyone else safe from my personal version of in(s)anity.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:16 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:This was an exciting several pages, but a sad one too. I can't believe two of our most active posters (and much-loved posters!) have both decided not to post anymore. I see charlie_grumbles posted again. Even though he said it would be his last, I'm hoping that as I read ahead I'll see posts from both him and Kieryn.

Hmm, I seem to have missed that during my longcoma. And that now I am planning to move closer to a prime source of Time (I'll probably go from an extremely dodgy 6 mbit ADSL line that has been cut with a plough in a few paces and wiring in the house that seems to have grounded a few lightning strikes to somewhere with about 120mbit and at least one 9.)
NOOO OTT don't leave me! I have become addicted. I promise I will try to ketchup completely again once I have an internet connection that can load a full page at home.... I might even Blitz the 290 odd pages I missed in the time before I posted my first post in the OTT (Dang, was that so long ago? I was so young and careless. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Now here I am: dead, deceased and addicted.)

he/him/his

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:16 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
ucim wrote:Bob's my ONGcle
Spoiler:

Jose

Summon LaPetite!

No, this is the part where Cuegan turn to the audience (that's us OTTers, duh) and say "please all of you clap to save our lives!" . Or more likely, "We've set up a KickStarter to provide bandages and a bottle of percocets for our trip home."
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:33 am UTC

nerdsniped wrote:On the topic of whether OTT viewership has held steady over time... here's a bit of data I don't recall being analyzed previously.
Spoiler:
(Apologies if I missed it.) I wrote a little script to fetch each forum page and look for phrases of the form "viewed NNN times", which the forum seems to associate with each inlined attachment. Here is a scatterplot of the results. Each spot represents a single attachment. The X axis shows which newpage the attachment appeared on, and the Y axis shows the number of times the attachment had been viewed. There seems to a slight downward trend, but really very slight until the end. That drop at the end is probably an artifact; the view counts for those recent attachments will climb retroactively as people ketchup.

There are many ways this data could be skewed. For instance, I don't know whether spoilering affects the view count, or whether any of the attached images are also linked from somewhere outside the forum. But there seem to be plenty of data points to discern a rough trend despite any noise.

(Note: there is an attachment on page two with 15,230 views. I chopped that out of the graph, because otherwise it ruins the scale. Interestingly, there are no further attachments until page 20 -- or at least, none that I detected with this trivial script. You can see that attachments become more frequent over time, which I imagine represents a gradual transition toward creative contributions rather than simple discussion.)
OK not "simple" discussion, but you get my meaning.

That's a ⁴ analysis.
A few thoughts: the number of views per attachment will probably also be skewed by quoting. Especially when such a quote appears on a further NP, the number of views will be higher. Whether spoilering, quotes on the same page, or the BlitzGirl-method of spoilering the original attachment and using a link to it in the main post, affect the view count, I don't know. (May even depend on the browser.)
And the huge number of views for the attachment on page 2 is probably caused by many people who have a look at the OTT, read the first few pages and then give up.

@AluisioASG: interesting theory, The Truman Show. I don't think we've seen that yet. Who would be Truman, though – Cueball or Megan? Or I guess they both could be. (I'd say Cueball. In that case, the whole Lucky attack and Megan's injury could be a setup.)

BlitzGirl wrote:That explains why the OTT is having so much deja vu.

(That explains why the OTT is having so much deja vu.)

(But what's up with the two different, but as far as I can see identical, attached images in the spoiler? Or is that just another go at the déjà vu thing?)

The OTC...
Finally, about to leave. And going onwards. Smart thing? We'll see.
Anyway, it's about time. They've been on this ‘scene’ (unchanged background) for 117 frames, might be up to 120 before the next one. (That'd be 5 Outside days.) By far the longest since they started traveling.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:46 am UTC

Concerning the Constellation of Time 3:
Thank you for all your appreciation. ucim proposed counting non-quote references too. When they are done with @ it would be possible. Even ambiguous shortening of handles could be dealt with a suitable heuristics, looking back into the data. But at the same time it would be unreliable and I don't think it is used as much as quoting and in any case just recently. Besides it is not quoting but answering. Maybe I will do a quick analyses of this and then decide what to do with it.

Concerning the OTC:
Cueball's logic isn't that faulty at all. If he knows that they will not make it back, because home is too far, the only logical result is to move on. They may not find help there, but at least there is the possibility they find it.
Also: It doesn't make any difference if they are two days further from home, if they wouldn't make it back home anyway.
There is even another reason to move on: If they should discover after a day or two they can't go on, they would need to return to the hut and stream for a bit of shelter. Going on would mean to go back downhills whereas going home would mean to climb the hill again, something that would be very difficult to do with an injured leg.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

TellONG if hurt:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:36 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Concerning the OTC:
Cueball's logic isn't that faulty at all. If he knows that they will not make it back, because home is too far, the only logical result is to move on. They may not find help there, but at least there is the possibility they find it.
Also: It doesn't make any difference if they are two days further from home, if they wouldn't make it back home anyway.
There is even another reason to move on: If they should discover after a day or two they can't go on, they would need to return to the hut and stream for a bit of shelter. Going on would mean to go back downhills whereas going home would mean to climb the hill again, something that would be very difficult to do with an injured leg.

Cueball does appear to be using sound logic (Cueball did, after all, surmise that their may be a village on the other side, as I had suggested). Also, help is not guaranteed if they go back home. They do mention the other people in the hills, but, correct me if I am wrong, I do not think they ever refer to the people in the hills with any kind of familiarity; it is as if they know that they are there, but have little or nothing to do with them. The people in the hills are not necessarily their people (but it does not suggest that they are their enemies either). Which makes me wonder, do they ever mention their people, or other people that we may infer belong to the same group/community as they do/did?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

Prediction:
Megan's wound will develop gangreen. Queball will amputate the leg, but to late. Megan will die of the wound. Queball will lose his mind and run around flailing his arms. He'll drop off a cliff and thus Time will end.
The OTT will continue as if nothing happened. Someone will write a hosts file that redirects everyone who chooses it to an alternate xkcd.com/time. Here some of the more artistically OTTers will post an alternate Timeline, in which Megan survives her wound and Queball and Megan hook up. They'll buy a house, a wolpy and have a kid. It'll be a boy. Some OTTers will post extremely detailed versions where the conception of that kid will be drawn.
The kid will grow up and find himself in a school holiday. He'll decide to spend the first day of it on a beach with a neighborhood girl. They'll build a sandcastle.

Dang, now I became a loopist.
And a goat. That's kind of nasty with my predisposition towards goat cheese.
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

he/him/his

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”