1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mikro2nd

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mikro2nd » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

azule wrote:Edit: Silly me, just noticed from the overview how flat that mountaintop is. If it's the top of the mountain, isn't that kinda odd? I don't know my mountains, isn't there supposed to be a pointy pinnacle?

(blindposting from -10NP...)
(spoilered because sea-ish)
Spoiler:
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

enumerated powers

Postby enumerated powers » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:Thought #2
Instead of pregnancy announcement, comic contained bobcat. Would not buy again.
Image Great to see humor recalled from before March 2013.Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

HES wrote:Othercomic reminder

It looks like Sciscitor's constellation, and how mscha (or another that might overtake him)'s star is getting so bright it will turn into white noise on the OTT where no one can do anything but listen to mscha. ;)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:1. What time of year might it be inside the OTC? When do kids go to the shore, but grown-ups don't (btw, I'd say that mentioning "kids" in this manner rules out that Cuegan are kids themselves, as it has been speculated. Teenagers at least.)? And we know that it must be warm enough to hang around at the beach for some time, and to go swimming in the sea1.

Spring Break.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

rvloon

Thoughts on Time

Postby rvloon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

jjjdavidson (I forgot how many j's there are, sorry) asked about favorite frames. Much to my surprise, I don't think I can recall any of them being a favorite. Truth be told, compared to the OTT, I find the OTC rather bland. Consider this: if I was invited to someone's house and they would show me the OTC the whole evening to talk about their adventures, I would be bored out of my skull. In real life, we would condense the story so far to: Two people are at the beach, build a huge sandcastle using some kind of magic warehouse for supplies (we have only seen them walking afterward, and not enough of a pan to the left to see where they got all their stuff). It is unclear what their relationship status is, but it is apparently not very touchy-feely (or maybe one of them is allergic to the other). Still, they decide to embark on a journey together, apparently on a whim. So, they are apparently not obligated by society or a job to be at a certain place at a certain time to perform a certain function. The journey they are about to undertake is of undetermined length, so there's apparently not a strong tie to family and/or friends, nor do they have ways to communicate with them. Food and supplies (sustenance in general) is limited to what they can carry (so it is unlikely they brought anything to the beach themselves).

There are apparently people around, but they keep themselves out of frame, and there is very little to indicate some form of sophisticated engineering (ie no powered devices of any kind). Even the journey is not very exciting, if you discount some of the encounters with the local wildlife (snake, beesnake, catsnake). Considering their naivety it is a surprise that not one of them was seriously injured before getting so far up the mountain. I know I would have been.

So, summarizing: the OTC without the OTT would rate very low on the entertainment scale. The discussions and the variety of banter on the OTT is what keeps the OTC interesting. However, I think if the OTC keeps repeating itself thematically (Look, another grapevine. Oh, a snake. A molpy) then interest will wither and die to an absolute minimum. I mean, even little excitement (ooh, pope!, ooh, goat! ooh, ONG!) tapered off after a while.

What I would find funny is when Randall would throw in some black-white-movie effect playing with the grayscale of the frames, generating the flickering of old projectors.

Another thing to observe: there is very little humor in the OTC. Some stumbling, a snake. Even the catmolpy incident recently is not very funny, unless you find inflicting injury both on stickfigures or cats funny.

So, for a *comic* it isn't very comical. Nor is it very thoughtprovoking. So, it would be interesting to know what the true idea behind it was. Whether metaphoric or deep, I think without the OTT it would never have been as entertaining for me as it currently has been.

Ronald

PS: of course to discover that BlitzGirl is twenty years younger than I am, I never would have guessed. I have consoled myself with a wise looking avatar.
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

Cake for BlueCrab!

Happy 100th!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:A "straight line home" may lead them into more unknown territory. Let us not forget Lucky. Such a predator came from somewhere, and in that place there may be more. A "straight line home" may very well lead through more, unknown dangers.
I agree. But then again, Lucky apparently headed off back down the path they have come up. Decisions, decisions...

(Book of Aubron ok for me now. I think it might have been a proxy connection where I was that limited the number of frames I could see).
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

More second-guessing of Cuegan's decision: Infection of a wound like Megan has is likely, but death from the infection is probably unlikely (though of course it's possible) unless other privation (such as thirst, hunger, or cold) is also involved. Their wisest course, in my judgment,* would be to go back to the vineyard, or to someplace between the vineyard and the tiny river so that there is both food and water available. Use the "enough wood for a raft" and tree branches to make a shelter. If the vineyard is less than a day's round trip from the hut they're currently at, then staying put (with Cueball fetching food) might be even better.

If there's a good chance of finding help at the mountaintop structure (not being able to see it ourselves, it's hard to judge; a large structure in good repair would represent a better chance than some odd-looking rock spires), they should separate, Cueball checking it out while Megan improves the shelter. Splitting up is a difficult decision and should never be done lightly, but can be the better choice in many circumstances.

Any of these options, like the plan they've chosen instead, could go horribly wrong. (Cueball alone, attacked again by the cat on the way up the mountain. Megan dying of infection in the hut only a day or two away from help. Megan dying on the mountain from an infection she could have survived at the hut.) If there were a safe sure course of action, it wouldn't be a wilderness survival scenario.

*In emergencies, one must always use one's own informed judgment, not mine or anyone else's. Blindly following standard rules when the variables of the scenario might be different enough to indicate otherwise can be as bad as not knowing the standard rules in the first place.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

A comedy doesn't have to be funny, it just has to end well.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:PS: of course to discover that BlitzGirl is twenty years younger than I am, I never would have guessed.
I smell chocolate melting in a very large cauldron!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Angelastic

Re: Thoughts on Time

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:Still, they decide to embark on a journey together, apparently on a whim.

Not on a whim. Because the sea is mysteriously rising faster than usual, and they want to find out why.

rvloon wrote:Even the journey is not very exciting, if you discount some of the encounters with the local wildlife (snake, beesnake, catsnake).

But why would you discount them? Why would you deliberately ignore some of the most exciting events? They were attacked by a cat, there was a surprising amount of blood, and Megan's life could be in danger because of it. That's not something you can just discount to make the OTC sound uninteresting. If I were recounting the adventure to someone else, I would definitely mention the cat, LaPetite, and the mystery of the rising sea and the setting in general, and probably the snake, waterfall, baobabs, hut and the structure on the mountain. Your description of their adventures seems to focus on their relationship with each other and the rest of the world, rather than any of the actual things that happened during their adventures. Yes, it's quite a bit blander than I'd expect a several-mip-long movie to be, but things have happened in it, it's not just a portrait of some people who are not very touchy-feely and don't have jobs.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

up the mountONG

The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Marsh'n

Re: Episode IV: A New Graph

Postby Marsh'n » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:I would expect to see an increase in new posters during the exciting cat mauling episode, but it's probably too early yet for the new posts to have passed the initial quarantine.

Or to feel like we had fulfilled our blitzing quota adequately to delurk. Thanks Kieryn, your post pushed me over the edge to say hello. And thanks j3 for the awesome graph that inspired this. And thanks to all for giving me the feeling of walking into a family reunion.

I'll be back with a signature and the like when I am fully enabled. But for now, back to the blitzing...

3 cubed, but not diced or julienned, I hope.

Edit for blitzers!
Thanks to Vytron and macraw83, I have come to realize that if I put an edit here, you may be the very first to see it. Since I don't want to spoiler anything for you, I will say nothing exciting, but happy blitzing, and we hope to see you soon. Lacking another term for this approach, by reference to "Easter Eggs," I'm going to call this a Marsh'nmellow.Image

Edit for paradox:
If I am correctly your current location, Flado, you might catch up to this post at some point before I reach the present. If so, I would like to future/past request that the past/future Patriarch dismember me from the Western Paradox Church. I figure that someone who is no longer Patriarch is the (in)appropriate person to ask for such a (dis)favor. Thanks in retro-advance! And if you're no longer here, then perhaps I will retroactively declare myself the new old Patriarch. Though perhaps I should retire from the position before I take it.

Redundant attachment:
Spoiler:
marshnmellow_emoticon.gif
Marsh'nmellow
marshnmellow_emoticon.gif (921 Bytes) Viewed 10627 times
Last edited by Marsh'n on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:08 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

My prediction: immediate jump to next scene, no lingering after they've left this time.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:My prediction: immediate jump to next scene, no lingering after they've left this time.

It'd better, after 122 frames in the same place...
(I'm pretty sure you're right. Although, maybe it does linger, and we see Lucky show up again.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

Blind posting so not sure if it's been mentioned.

I'm pretty sure they are going to fill up their bottles/skins from the stream that was mentioned. Depending on how easy the stream is to cross, they might need to briefly change direction.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
rvloon wrote:Still, they decide to embark on a journey together, apparently on a whim.

Not on a whim. Because the sea is mysteriously rising faster than usual, and they want to find out why.

Well, yes. But they didn't go to their (respective?) home(s) to think about it, prepare and set off. They just up and went with whatever they had on them. That sounds rather on a whim to me.

Angelastic wrote:
rvloon wrote:Even the journey is not very exciting, if you discount some of the encounters with the local wildlife (snake, beesnake, catsnake).

But why would you discount them? Why would you deliberately ignore some of the most exciting events? They were attacked by a cat, there was a surprising amount of blood, and Megan's life could be in danger because of it. That's not something you can just discount to make the OTC sound uninteresting. If I were recounting the adventure to someone else, I would definitely mention the cat, LaPetite, and the mystery of the rising sea and the setting in general, and probably the snake, waterfall, baobabs, hut and the structure on the mountain. Your description of their adventures seems to focus on their relationship with each other and the rest of the world, rather than any of the actual things that happened during their adventures. Yes, it's quite a bit blander than I'd expect a several-mip-long movie to be, but things have happened in it, it's not just a portrait of some people who are not very touchy-feely and don't have jobs.

I didn't mean to attack the OTC :P . Ok, the catattack is an exciting event in itself, but it does not seem to change the direction of the story - they were already going up the mountain, there was some discussion on going back, and now they're more definitive in going on. Yet, with a story like this you would expect a little more backstory to be presented, or more of a quest to complete. The storyseeker in me is looking for a meaning to home in on, something to root for - and so far, if I take out the excitement and the local wildlife I come up short. I like my stories to be a little bit thought-provoking, a bit like a jigsaw puzzle coming together. With the events mentioned seen as pieces of the puzzle, I cannot help but feel that taking out these pieces, while enjoyable to see in themselves as little side-stories, they have very little to do with the buildup to the sum-is-bigger than the whole. They're not defining the story, and as story elements go could have been left out without detrimental effects. Current catattack maybe excepted as this would possibly lead to a possible death/drama further down the storyline. But then again, maybe not.

Note that I am not writing this to be a partypooper. Enjoy the OTC in any way you like, and I am still here to see how everything pans out, after all. Just throwing my $0.02 out there. Don't go all Spanish Inquisition on me, please.

Ronald
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:
Angelastic wrote:

Well, yes. But they didn't go to their (respective?) home(s) to think about it, prepare and set off. They just up and went with whatever they had on them. That sounds rather on a whim to me.

Holy Croce
Spoiler:

thirds

Postby thirds » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:My prediction: immediate jump to next scene, no lingering after they've left this time.

My prediction: cobra in the bucket.
1.png
1.png (6.46 KiB) Viewed 10915 times

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Deja View is the name of my next band.

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I did want to mention that I noticed that zombie outbreak several pages ago. People, please, I try to keep my work and my waiting separate! Thank Randall Agent kenmelken was around to handle the situation. Excellent work! I also noticed that there was one particular Waiter that seemed to be responsible for the majority of the zombies. I don't want to name names; let's just say her name rhymes with "MitzFirl." I'm afraid the agency has picked up on the increase in zombie generation; that person might notice some unmarked vehicles following her. Just sayin'.

That FitzWhirl had better watch her back!

Image_______ Image Image Image Image

StormAngel wrote:TM It's good to finally have an ONG under my belt in my pants :)

Image Excellent ONGing!

mscha wrote:That's a ⁴ analysis.
A few thoughts: the number of views per attachment will probably also be skewed by quoting. Especially when such a quote appears on a further NP, the number of views will be higher. Whether spoilering, quotes on the same page, or the BlitzGirl-method of spoilering the original attachment and using a link to it in the main post, affect the view count, I don't know. (May even depend on the browser.) <snip>
BlitzGirl wrote:That explains why the OTT is having so much deja vu.
Spoiler:
(That explains why the OTT is having so much deja vu.)

(But what's up with the two different, but as far as I can see identical, attached images in the spoiler? Or is that just another go at the déjà vu thing?)

It's a little experiment disguised as deja vu. I call it Deja View! As of now, both attachments have identical view counts, even though one is only visible in the spoiler and the other has the raw image available in the post (which has now been quoted, thank you).
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:The storyseeker in me is looking for a meaning to home in on, something to root for - and so far, if I take out the excitement and the local wildlife I come up short.

B-b-but... that's the whole point. We have to wait for it!

I feel like if there was a 'point' that we were aware of, it would take away from the waiting. Anything could happen, and it's almost impossible to conjecture, as is shown by the percentage of incorrect predictions in the OTT.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:
rvloon wrote:The storyseeker in me is looking for a meaning to home in on, something to root for - and so far, if I take out the excitement and the local wildlife I come up short.

I feel like if there was a 'point' that we were aware of, it would take away from the waiting. Anything could happen, and it's almost impossible to conjecture, as is shown by the percentage of incorrect predictions in the OTT.

Let's see, that would be... 99.997%?

CasCat BlitzGirl the Fast
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:

Angelastic wrote:

I didn't mean to attack the OTC :P . Ok, the catattack is an exciting event in itself, but it does not seem to change the direction of the story - they were already going up the mountain, there was some discussion on going back, and now they're more definitive in going on. Yet, with a story like this you would expect a little more backstory to be presented, or more of a quest to complete. The storyseeker in me is looking for a meaning to home in on, something to root for - and so far, if I take out the excitement and the local wildlife I come up short. I like my stories to be a little bit thought-provoking, a bit like a jigsaw puzzle coming together. With the events mentioned seen as pieces of the puzzle, I cannot help but feel that taking out these pieces, while enjoyable to see in themselves as little side-stories, they have very little to do with the buildup to the sum-is-bigger than the whole. They're not defining the story, and as story elements go could have been left out without detrimental effects. Current catattack maybe excepted as this would possibly lead to a possible death/drama further down the storyline. But then again, maybe not.

Note that I am not writing this to be a partypooper. Enjoy the OTC in any way you like, and I am still here to see how everything pans out, after all. Just throwing my $0.02 out there. Don't go all Spanish Inquisition on me, please.

Ronald

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Except you, you do... and you're gonna get it, ho boy, bring out the comfy chair :)

You could think of it more as a slice of life story, rather than an epic. It doesn't need a big overarching story because that's not what it's about. It's about the characters and what they express and represent about being human. Drive, curiosity, complex relationships, ignorance, and temporarily. As has been mentioned, if you were to speed this up to animation speed it would only be a few minutes long at most. But it's actually more like a haiku. If you read a haiku as fast as you can it's boring, you have to let it fill with space and observe the being-ness that it expresses, savoring each poetic turn of the simple 5-7-5. You could read and enjoy the OTC without the OTT, but you would do it in the same way you read and enjoy a haiku, by reading the space between the lines, the openness of it's simplicity, expressed in temporarily and the simple command "wait for it" instead of brief poetry.

eta: also, of course you're going to get the Spanish Inquisition, we don't have anything else to talk about now because their about to go on another long walk, you should have interjected this when the cattack was going on!
Last edited by jovialbard on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

alcore

Postby alcore » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

I am growing concerned for their well being.

Apparently their world is both capable of harming them AND it's untamed.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

f0rmicUla wrote:I wonder if the COT can be made working in real time?

Depends on your definition of "real time". There is quite a bit number crunching involved, but that could be solved by using some physics accelerator card and a bit of native code. After all, those cards are explicitly built for such calculations. The scope of such an endaevor would clearly exceed my skills and time though. To generate the graphical representation would by far be the easiest part of it I guess. To move 49 megapixels of lossless compressed imagefile in a way that could be considered realtime over the internets is another story.
Another problem still would be to gather the necessary data without hammering the forums server, writing it into a suitable database, updating the intermediary datastructure and feeding it into the above mentioned physics accelerator. Again each step should be solvable, but I am not sure if it would be worth it.

But I am glad you liked it so much you want to see it in a live dashboard. :D
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:

I don't disagree. Just that it feels I have an appetite for something substantial and all I get are rice crackers :D

Ronald
Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

You cannot definitively prove a prediction incorrect! All you can say is "that didn't happen...yet."
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
ucim wrote:
mscha wrote:Now that we've seen Cuegan in the context of a shed, hut, house, or whatever it is, we can make a somewhat better estimate of the conversion factor from cue to heretic units.
Not at all, unless we assume that the artifacts there (shed, etc) are "our sized", an assumption that doesn't really add to what we already know. It could be a world of beings of any size, and they would build the appropriate sized artifacts for themselves.

You're right, of course. We can't assume anything. So we might as well shut down the OTT and just sit there, staring at the OTC waiting for it (to change). But where's the fun in that? ;)

As Cuegan's world and ours are separated by the unbridgeable gulf of the imagination there isn't a relationship between the size of their space and ours. What we didn't know but now do is whether the Megballs are infant or fully grown examples of their species (or the shed is a playhouse; I'm going to leave that until and unless we need it). So Cuemegballgan are about 5' 9" tall.

ETA as this posting is partway down the new page, I'm going to seize the role of Near The Middle Pope. There is a decree, but you will have to guess what it is.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

I don't disagree. Just that it feels I have an appetite for something substantial and all I get are rice crackers :D

Ronald

Much like life
You wait for it
The problem is that what you thought it was never comes
But what it actually is always comes
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
rvloon wrote:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:

Angelastic wrote:

Ronald

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Except you, you do... and you're gonna get it, ho boy, bring out the comfy chair :)

You could think of it more as a slice of life story, rather than an epic. It doesn't need a big overarching story because that's not what it's about. It's about the characters and what they express and represent about being human. Drive, curiosity, complex relationships, ignorance, and temporarily. As has been mentioned, if you were to speed this up to animation speed it would only be a few minutes long at most. But it's actually more like a haiku. If you read a haiku as fast as you can it's boring, you have to let it fill with space and observe the being-ness that it expresses, savoring each poetic turn of the simple 5-7-5. You could read and enjoy the OTC without the OTT, but you would do it in the same way you read and enjoy a haiku, by reading the space between the lines, the openness of it's simplicity, expressed in temporarily and the simple command "wait for it" instead of brief poetry.

eta: also, of course you're going to get the Spanish Inquisition, we don't have anything else to talk about now because their about to go on another long walk, you should have interjected this when the cattack was going on!

yeah, but at least I provoked some thoughts on the matter and that's also something that I like - and have mine tickled as well. You make a good point. But even for a life story, there's very little depth to the characters. Even when viewed as metaphors (say Adam and Eve), the character development has been minimal. What makes these stickpeople go on? What do they want from life? Are they on this journey because the alternative is even worse? I get that this is apparently not about the destination but about the journey, but I get more excitement (sans cat and snake) than these two. And with a better soundtrack on my stereo too :-)

Ronald
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

Wait for it. :)

f0rmicUla wrote:Yay, and even me, the one-post-only antmolpy is in it (far left, too). Sweet :D

Two posts, now! :D

Someguy945 wrote:Instead of pregnancy announcement, comic contained bobcat. Would not buy again.

To be fair, "pregnancy announcement" was too big for me to fit in the first panel. :wink:

rvloon wrote:PS: of course to discover that BlitzGirl is twenty years younger than I am, I never would have guessed. I have consoled myself with a wise looking avatar.

Thanks! Although even your wise avatar will not save you from the comfy chair now!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
CasCat wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

You cannot definitively prove a prediction incorrect! All you can say is "that didn't happen...yet."

Some of the predictions had a "when" component, such as, "in the next two frames..."
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
CasCat wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

I would agree, except that a lot of the predictions take the form "I predict x in the next scene" or "I predict x in the next y newpix".

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

What Cueball should have done when Megan got injured:
Spoiler:
rescue.png
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
rvloon wrote:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:

Angelastic wrote:

Ronald

yeah, but at least I provoked some thoughts on the matter and that's also something that I like - and have mine tickled as well. You make a good point. But even for a life story, there's very little depth to the characters. Even when viewed as metaphors (say Adam and Eve), the character development has been minimal. What makes these stickpeople go on? What do they want from life? Are they on this journey because the alternative is even worse? I get that this is apparently not about the destination but about the journey, but I get more excitement (sans cat and snake) than these two. And with a better soundtrack on my stereo too :-)

Ronald

To me, their goal appears to be knowledge. Their motivation curiosity. No more, no less.

I quite like that. But I can understand your perspective.

HES

Condimented

Postby HES » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:(But what's up with the two different, but as far as I can see identical, attached images in the spoiler? Or is that just another go at the déjà vu thing?)

It's a little experiment disguised as deja vu. I call it Deja View! As of now, both attachments have identical view counts, even though one is only visible in the spoiler and the other has the raw image available in the post (which has now been quoted, thank you).

That pun was stupendiful.

Kieryn wrote:Blind posting so not sure if it's been mentioned.

I'm pretty sure they are going to fill up their bottles/skins from the stream that was mentioned. Depending on how easy the stream is to cross, they might need to briefly change direction.

The stream was mentioned so long ago that I'm sure I'm not the only one who forgot it existed... I think you're right

ucim wrote:
akacat wrote:
HES wrote:...or cycling for a wix despite the grinding noise that turned out to be a sheared axle. I guess you're right [hopeful ongwardness]
Good grief, how did a sheared axle manage to last a wix? Or do you mean it slowly sheared over the week? Either way, did the axle manage to hold out for the whole ride?
Well, the axle is held together on both ends by other stuff too. I rode for quite a while on a broken axle and didn't notice.

Jose

Indeed, and it was a quick-release so the 'inner' axle was in tact (most likely would never have broken had it been solid)
He/Him/His Image

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
rvloon wrote:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:

Angelastic wrote:

Ronald

Ronald

Ah, but perhaps it's not about the destination or the journey, perhaps it's about just being. Simplicity gives us the opportunity to reflect. The emptiness of simplicity is an openness that allows us to fill is, or, in a Buddhist sense, to embrace the emptiness. We can watch a flymolpy flutter across the screen for 3 hours, and like a haiku, it isn't about the destination or the journey, it's about this: that flymolpy exists.

That said, the story is starting to build, I think this early1 Buddhist2 phase will be replace by something else... possibly romantic3? possibly epic? possibly tragic4? Donno.

1 middle? the early part was pretty post-modern or dada maybe
2 Taoist? I'm bad at philosophical taxonomy
3 as in artistic era, but could also include lovey-dovey-ness too
4 though not likely

edited to use annotations instead of all the parens it had before
Last edited by jovialbard on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
rvloon wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

Ronald

Much like life
You wait for it
The problem is that what you thought it was never comes
But what it actually is always comes

This echos something I was thinking about the OTT. It's very realistic, in a way; I'm thinking about how, many times, I've embarked on a journey or project, with a clear idea of what will happen; but then something unexpected always changes, and it never goes how you expect.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:What Cueball should have done when Megan got injured:
Spoiler:
rescue.png

If the holodeck safety protocols are malfunctioning, what makes you think he could get an arch?
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Stream-ONG
Go Minim go!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”