1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

HES wrote:Heh. I'm in the same timezone and have been getting up at 6.30 recently. I've been on an unintentional 28(ish) hour day

Sounds like you're a lawyer with billable hours.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
f0rmicUla
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 12:04 am UTC
Location: .de

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby f0rmicUla » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
f0rmicUla wrote:I wonder if the COT can be made working in real time?

Depends on your definition of "real time". There is quite a bit number crunching involved, but that could be solved by using some physics accelerator card and a bit of native code. After all, those cards are explicitly built for such calculations. The scope of such an endaevor would clearly exceed my skills and time though. To generate the graphical representation would by far be the easiest part of it I guess. To move 49 megapixels of lossless compressed imagefile in a way that could be considered realtime over the internets is another story.
Another problem still would be to gather the necessary data without hammering the forums server, writing it into a suitable database, updating the intermediary datastructure and feeding it into the above mentioned physics accelerator. Again each step should be solvable, but I am not sure if it would be worth it.

But I am glad you liked it so much you want to see it in a live dashboard. :D


Yes, I like your visualizations , and visualizations in general, muchly :). Thank you for those, I'm looking forward for more!
I'm not into programming and such very much, but: Instead of pushing a huge image file, you could have the graph painted in the browser with some AJAX/SVG/CSS magic, no? This would not solve the server problem, of course.

cheers, f0rmi

ETA: I am the ant-ee-pope :mrgreen: No decrees. Happy Waiting xall :D

edit2: Mmh, at least I was pope. Never mind :oops: .
Last edited by f0rmicUla on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:25 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a little pea | I love the sky and the trees | I'm a teeny tiny little ant | Checkin' out this and that

Zorin_75
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

Re: Thoughts on Time

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:the character development has been minimal.

But that's what the first part of big character development looks like ;-)
It's moving. Slowly. Kinda the point, isn't it?
Go Minim go!

User avatar
taixzo
Posts: 1623
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 am UTC
Location: The Present

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:Stream-ONG
Image


taixzo wrote:My prediction: immediate jump to next scene, no lingering after they've left this time.


Called it. What do I win?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6908
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: Deja View is the name of my next band.

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:That's a ⁴ analysis.
A few thoughts: the number of views per attachment will probably also be skewed by quoting. Especially when such a quote appears on a further NP, the number of views will be higher. Whether spoilering, quotes on the same page, or the BlitzGirl-method of spoilering the original attachment and using a link to it in the main post, affect the view count, I don't know. (May even depend on the browser.) <snip>
BlitzGirl wrote:That explains why the OTT is having so much deja vu.
Spoiler:
Image
(That explains why the OTT is having so much deja vu.)

Image
(But what's up with the two different, but as far as I can see identical, attached images in the spoiler? Or is that just another go at the déjà vu thing?)

It's a little experiment disguised as deja vu. I call it Deja View! As of now, both attachments have identical view counts, even though one is only visible in the spoiler and the other has the raw image available in the post (which has now been quoted, thank you).

I now opened your post from above in a different browser, Chrome, that I don't normally use for reading the OTT and opened the spoiler. So one of the images was now loaded in Chrome and the other wasn't. So, the counts should now be off by 1, at least.
Hmm... 481 and 481.
That means, either the view count isn't updated live, or it counts occurrences of the [ attachment ] being shown on in the post, not the attached image being downloaded.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Lovers of gifs and stereograms: I'm about to change your life with this animated gif stereogram of a shark-molpy swimming through water. Absolutely amazing! Unlock the spoiler for awesome. *WARNING: somewhat jarring visual at first. If you have seizures, maybe don't open this spoiler*
Spoiler:
Image

Oh boy, that's good.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
Wildhound
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:34 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Time.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Wildhound » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Lovers of gifs and stereograms: I'm about to change your life with this animated gif stereogram of a shark-molpy swimming through water. Absolutely amazing! Unlock the spoiler for awesome. *WARNING: somewhat jarring visual at first. If you have seizures, maybe don't open this spoiler*
Spoiler:
Image

Oh boy, that's good.


That's actually ridiculously cool. How have I never seen this done before?
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

User avatar
taixzo
Posts: 1623
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 am UTC
Location: The Present

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:That's a ⁴ analysis.
A few thoughts: the number of views per attachment will probably also be skewed by quoting. Especially when such a quote appears on a further NP, the number of views will be higher. Whether spoilering, quotes on the same page, or the BlitzGirl-method of spoilering the original attachment and using a link to it in the main post, affect the view count, I don't know. (May even depend on the browser.) <snip>
BlitzGirl wrote:That explains why the OTT is having so much deja vu.
Spoiler:
Image
(That explains why the OTT is having so much deja vu.)

Image
(But what's up with the two different, but as far as I can see identical, attached images in the spoiler? Or is that just another go at the déjà vu thing?)

It's a little experiment disguised as deja vu. I call it Deja View! As of now, both attachments have identical view counts, even though one is only visible in the spoiler and the other has the raw image available in the post (which has now been quoted, thank you).

I now opened your post from above in a different browser, Chrome, that I don't normally use for reading the OTT and opened the spoiler. So one of the images was now loaded in Chrome and the other wasn't. So, the counts should now be off by 1, at least.
Hmm... 481 and 481.
That means, either the view count isn't updated live, or it counts occurrences of the [ attachment ] being shown on in the post, not the attached image being downloaded.


As far as I know, things in spoilers are still downloaded by the browser, then hidden with Javascript. So both images would get loaded each time you loaded the page.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Zorin_75
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Lovers of gifs and stereograms: I'm about to change your life with this animated gif stereogram of a shark-molpy swimming through water. Absolutely amazing! Unlock the spoiler for awesome. *WARNING: somewhat jarring visual at first. If you have seizures, maybe don't open this spoiler*
Spoiler:
Image

Oh boy, that's good.

These things never work for me. Ever.
Except for this one! I can see! It works! Yay! Somehow the animation seems to make it easier? Cool. No, neat!
Go Minim go!

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4896
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:Stream-ONG
Spoiler:
Image


taixzo wrote:My prediction: immediate jump to next scene, no lingering after they've left this time.


Called it. What do I win?

The satisfaction of a new scene
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
k.bookbinder
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:
Exodies wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Lovers of gifs and stereograms: I'm about to change your life with this animated gif stereogram of a shark-molpy swimming through water. Absolutely amazing! Unlock the spoiler for awesome. *WARNING: somewhat jarring visual at first. If you have seizures, maybe don't open this spoiler*
Spoiler:
Image

Oh boy, that's good.


That's actually ridiculously cool. How have I never seen this done before?


This is the OTT, my friend. Where else should you expect to encounter such marvels as this, but here? No where. That is where.

I never get tired of making my brain hurt by staring at that.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

User avatar
Marsh'n
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:55 pm UTC
Location: Blitzing: 609-918, then 1000-2247 +/- schizms

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Marsh'n » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

Meant to say in my last/first post - blindposting here.

HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:As someone who lurks in the background, usually checking in less than daily, I can confirm the thread is a bit intimidating to an outsider.


I likewise find the volume intimidating - but the people welcoming, which is what really counts, isn't it? Given that I'm on 907 and NP are being added faster than I am ketchuping, I truly wonder how fast the true blitzers read. Must be some unRandally number of words per dix. (Or nix for those who seem never to coma.)

Marsh'n

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6908
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:That's a ⁴ analysis.
A few thoughts: the number of views per attachment will probably also be skewed by quoting. Especially when such a quote appears on a further NP, the number of views will be higher. Whether spoilering, quotes on the same page, or the BlitzGirl-method of spoilering the original attachment and using a link to it in the main post, affect the view count, I don't know. (May even depend on the browser.) <snip>
BlitzGirl wrote:That explains why the OTT is having so much deja vu.
(That explains why the OTT is having so much deja vu.)

Image
(But what's up with the two different, but as far as I can see identical, attached images in the spoiler? Or is that just another go at the déjà vu thing?)

It's a little experiment disguised as deja vu. I call it Deja View! As of now, both attachments have identical view counts, even though one is only visible in the spoiler and the other has the raw image available in the post (which has now been quoted, thank you).

I now opened your post from above in a different browser, Chrome, that I don't normally use for reading the OTT and opened the spoiler. So one of the images was now loaded in Chrome and the other wasn't. So, the counts should now be off by 1, at least.
Hmm... 481 and 481.
That means, either the view count isn't updated live, or it counts occurrences of the [ attachment ] being shown on in the post, not the attached image being downloaded.


As far as I know, things in spoilers are still downloaded by the browser, then hidden with Javascript. So both images would get loaded each time you loaded the page.

No, my point is: in Chrome, I've only ever loaded the one image, not the other. (Not the original page with attachments, but the page where only one of the images was quoted.) So, if the forum would count views of

Code: Select all

[img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=37155&mode=view[/img]
, then the views would now be off by one.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on Time

Postby ergman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
rvloon wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
rvloon wrote:The storyseeker in me is looking for a meaning to home in on, something to root for - and so far, if I take out the excitement and the local wildlife I come up short.


B-b-but... that's the whole point. We have to wait for it!

I feel like if there was a 'point' that we were aware of, it would take away from the waiting. Anything could happen, and it's almost impossible to conjecture, as is shown by the percentage of incorrect predictions in the OTT.


I don't disagree. Just that it feels I have an appetite for something substantial and all I get are rice crackers :D

Ronald


Much like life
You wait for it
The problem is that what you thought it was never comes
But what it actually is always comes

That's what she said!
While gazing off over the trees
Into the azure evening sky.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

KayZ
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KayZ » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
Exodies wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Lovers of gifs and stereograms: I'm about to change your life with this animated gif stereogram of a shark-molpy swimming through water. Absolutely amazing! Unlock the spoiler for awesome. *WARNING: somewhat jarring visual at first. If you have seizures, maybe don't open this spoiler*
Spoiler:
Image

Oh boy, that's good.


That's actually ridiculously cool. How have I never seen this done before?


This is the OTT, my friend. Where else should you expect to encounter such marvels as this, but here? No where. That is where.

I never get tired of making my brain hurt by staring at that.

Finally I'm seeing it too.. So with all the creativity and talent in this thread, is someone going to make an animated stereogram of the OTC? :D

User avatar
BigDaddy
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BigDaddy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

Finally got the stereoGIF to work. Pressing Esc to stop it for a while definitely helped.

Time for a wild prediction:
Megan is now a weremolpy.

Not so wild prediction:
More talking/water gathering/walking/regular molpies.
Last edited by BigDaddy on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:
edo wrote:I hope that's Tigger.poor cueball


That made me want to ottify:

"The wonderful thing about molpies,
Is molpies are wonderful things!
Their tops are made out pixels,
Their bottoms are made out of... well, also pixels!
They're bouncy, pouncy, hide-y, flighty, neat neat neat neat neat,
But the most dangerous thing about molpies: they knock Cue off his feet!"

EDIT:In case there really are any of you out there who have never seen Winnie the Pooh, here is a link to the original "Wonderful Thing About Tiggers".
(Edited again for a spelling error)

As a fan of Winnie The Pooh I'd like to point out that the 'original' you link there is actually Winnie The Shit. Rot in hell Disney.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
taixzo
Posts: 1623
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 am UTC
Location: The Present

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Much like life
You wait for it
The problem is that what you thought it was never comes
But what it actually is always comes


That is what she said!
While gazing off over trees
Into twilight sky.


FTFY
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

User avatar
CasCat
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby CasCat » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:
CasCat wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
rvloon wrote:The storyseeker in me is looking for a meaning to home in on, something to root for - and so far, if I take out the excitement and the local wildlife I come up short.


B-b-but... that's the whole point. We have to wait for it!

I feel like if there was a 'point' that we were aware of, it would take away from the waiting. Anything could happen, and it's almost impossible to conjecture, as is shown by the percentage of incorrect predictions in the OTT.


Let's see, that would be... 99.997%?

CasCat BlitzGirl the Fast


You cannot definitively prove a prediction incorrect! All you can say is "that didn't happen...yet."


Sure you can. It's possible to prove a certain class of negatives. For example, I can prove that there is no living, corporeal, full-sized Indian Elephant sitting in my desk drawer right now.

You just need to define the terms narrowly enough for proof.

You can definitely prove a time-limited prediction incorrect. On another forum, shortly after the the terrible Indonesian Tsunami, a forum member claimed he had a prophesy granted to him by God Himself (yes, he was serious) that Las Vegas, Nevada would be destroyed by a tsunami no later than July 1, 2007. (He was also, apparently, entirely ignorant of US geography and topology.) July 2007 came and went, and Las Vegas is still there.

Likewise, people who say, "in the next newpix, THIS will happen" can definitively be proven correct or incorrect at the time of the next newpix.

Now, if they say, "sometime during the OTC, giant robots will land and start Areforming (like Terraforming, but into a Mars-like environment) the stip.... well, that cannot be disproven until the [heresy]End of Time[/heresy].


Ninja'd. By Wildhound. A DOG. Oh, the ignominity... <sulks off to nap. Sulkily>

(This is a joke. Because I'm a cat. No actual flames intended.)

Cassy BlitzGirl the Fast the First
Last edited by CasCat on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6908
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

When Cuegan was on the beach, they hardly ever spoke. When they started their journey, they were still pretty quiet, but they've started talking more and more...

I ran some statistics on the dialogue.
Here are the number of frames with dialogue per 100 frames:
Spoiler:
1-100: 1
101-200: 2
201-300: 0
301-400: 1
401-500: 5
501-600: 6
601-700: 8
701-800: 0
801-900: 15
901-1000: 1
1001-1100: 23
1101-1200: 13
1201-1300: 6
1301-1400: 8
1401-1500: 17
1501-1600: 14
1601-1700: 15
1701-1800: 17
1801-1900: 41
1901-2000: 23
2001-2100: 12
2101-2200: 13
2201-2300: 43
2301-2319: 11
In total, that's 295 frames with dialogue; 38 before and 257 after the fade.

Now, this includes “dialogue” by frog, chirpies, Lucky, etc. If you only include Cuegan's dialogue, you get slightly lower numbers:
Spoiler:
1-100: 1
101-200: 2
201-300: 0
301-400: 1
401-500: 5
501-600: 6
601-700: 8
701-800: 0
801-900: 15
901-1000: 1
1001-1100: 23
1101-1200: 13
1201-1300: 6
1301-1400: 8
1401-1500: 16
1501-1600: 14
1601-1700: 15
1701-1800: 17
1801-1900: 21
1901-2000: 23
2001-2100: 11
2101-2200: 13
2201-2300: 41
2301-2319: 11

Finally, the number of frames with dialogue per ‘character’:
Spoiler:
Megan: 185
Cueball: 163
Baby Chirpy: 16
Parent Chirpy: 13
(Unseen): 3
Lucky: 2
Frog: 1
Plant: 1
Stick: 1

Source: Dialogue from the Comic.
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:You're like my younger brother. He can't watch 3D movies either (though, honestly, that's not missing much. I find 3D movies to be gimmicky. The 3D doesn't improve the experience. Mostly just makes the colors darker and gives headaches).

I'm reminded of a news report of a gadget show recently. The reporter came across a 3d tv stand. He put on the 3d glasses and about 2 seconds later took them off and said "that's enough of that".
I think they only pushed 3d hoping the files would be too big to pirate; as that failed they are going for 4k HD for the same reason.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6888
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

jovailbard wrote:If you read a haiku as fast as you can it's boring, you have to let it fill with space and observe the being-ness that it expresses
I love the way you put that.

Sciscitor wrote:But I am glad you liked it so much you want to see it in a live dashboard.
There's one in the BlitzRocket. It's real-time.

taixzo wrote:You cannot definitively prove a prediction incorrect! All you can say is "that didn't happen...yet."
I predit they will survive the attack. (they die). Hmmmm. They didn't survive yet. :)

rvloon wrote:What makes these stickpeople go on? What do they want from life?
These two want to understand why the sea is rising... what is "wrong" with the river. Although right now they probably want to survive another day. (When you're up to your ass in alligators, it's easy to forget that your original goal was to drain the swamp.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
spamjam
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: greenlake seawash

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby spamjam » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

DOWNBYTHEOLDMILLONG
Image

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
ergman wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Much like life
You wait for it
The problem is that what you thought it was never comes
But what it actually is always comes


That is what she said!
While gazing off over trees
Into twilight sky.


FTFY

gasp! I've been haiku'd!
such a claustrophobic fate,
chained to your structure.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
Sciscitor
Posts: 505
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:20 am UTC
Location: Austria

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Sciscitor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

f0rmicUla wrote:I'm not into programming and such very much, but: Instead of pushing a huge image file, you could have the graph painted in the browser with some AJAX/SVG/CSS magic, no?

Oh well, even the graph file is about 2,2 MB and it needs some time writing it, but nevertheless I did a very quick and dirty test. You can search the graph, click on the little orange left upper corner arrows and play around with it a bit. Not sure if it is any good, it's definitely not real time though:
http://xkcd.mscha.org/sciscitor/gefx/index.html#Test.gexf
Edited for spelling.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

cameroda
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:29 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cameroda » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
spamjam wrote:VANQUISHED?ONG
Image


More likely running for backup. Expect raptorcatarmy in the next few newpix.
...snip...


If it is a fossa, then we will have Mo' fossa very soon- Must be Africa then.

User avatar
taixzo
Posts: 1623
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 am UTC
Location: The Present

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
taixzo wrote:You cannot definitively prove a prediction incorrect! All you can say is "that didn't happen...yet."
I predit they will survive the attack. (they die). Hmmmm. They didn't survive yet. :)


Never bet against Doctor Frankenstein.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

User avatar
BlueCrab
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 12:10 am UTC
Location: Connecticut Yankee in Virginia

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
Wildhound wrote:I feel like the comic is not dark enough to go down the road of Megan being infected / seriously injured.

I think she will be fine.

I think she will have to have it amputated, but that's okay because the people who help them will give her a (wait for it...)
Spoiler:
Flying Ferret Molpytm! (You thought I was going to say ‘stick leg, didn't you? :P )

Yes. As a matter of fact I did. :o
:D
Earthling On Mars wrote:ETA: Also, congrats to BlueCrab on 100 posts!
Thank you, I just noticed it myself!
mscha wrote:Cake for BlueCrab!
Image
Happy 100th!
Ooh, loverly strawberries. :P Thank you! No boobies or tits for this one, but a not-pun is almost as good, to me! Cake for everybody!Image Dang, that is one big cake...

taixzo wrote:My prediction: immediate jump to next scene, no lingering after they've left this time.
Well done, nailed it! Have we had 10,000 predictions yet? You could be one of the lucky reverse-10,000 :lol:

@thirds: I like the cobra-in-a-bucket scenario! Ssssssss
@exodies (Near the Middle Pope of newpage 918) : What was your decree??!!
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat


“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6908
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

Here's the entire shed ‘scene’, 122 frames (over 5% of the OTC), at 10 fps.
Spoiler:
Image
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
Wildhound
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:34 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Time.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Wildhound » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:
CasCat wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
rvloon wrote:The storyseeker in me is looking for a meaning to home in on, something to root for - and so far, if I take out the excitement and the local wildlife I come up short.


B-b-but... that's the whole point. We have to wait for it!

I feel like if there was a 'point' that we were aware of, it would take away from the waiting. Anything could happen, and it's almost impossible to conjecture, as is shown by the percentage of incorrect predictions in the OTT.


Let's see, that would be... 99.997%?

CasCat BlitzGirl the Fast


You cannot definitively prove a prediction incorrect! All you can say is "that didn't happen...yet."


Sure you can. It's possible to prove a certain class of negatives. For example, I can prove that there is no living, corporeal, full-sized Indian Elephant sitting in my desk drawer right now.

You just need to define the terms narrowly enough for proof.

You can definitely prove a time-limited prediction incorrect. On another forum, shortly after the the terrible Indonesian Tsunami, a forum member claimed he had a prophesy granted to him by God Himself (yes, he was serious) that Las Vegas, Nevada would be destroyed by a tsunami no later than July 1, 2007. (He was also, apparently, entirely ignorant of US geography and topology.) July 2007 came and went, and Las Vegas is still there.

Likewise, people who say, "in the next newpix, THIS will happen" can definitively be proven correct or incorrect at the time of the next newpix.

Now, if they say, "sometime during the OTC, giant robots will land and start Areforming (like Terraforming, but into a Mars-like environment) the stip.... well, that cannot be disproven until the [heresy]End of Time[/heresy].


Ninja'd. By Wildhound. A DOG. Oh, the ignominity... <sulks off to nap. Sulkily>

(This is a joke. Because I'm a cat. No actual flames intended.)

Cassy BlitzGirl the Fast the First


To be fair, your post was a lot more thorough than mine and probably doesn't deserve to have been spoilered!
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Zorin_75
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

Re: Ketchup after a proper nix of coma (first in a while)

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

mscha wrote:To deal with large image issues, perhaps use a service like zoom.it?


Oh - thanks, that's pretty neat:
Image

Go Minim go!

User avatar
kenmelken
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 am UTC
Location: Svithjod

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

Still lost in the past, blindposting:

edfel wrote:What are the bets currently on? Will they go left or right? Will Cueball see some people in the structure (or the otherway round), and they'll come to help with advanced medical kits? Or will Cuegan ride back home on a raft, or on Horslpy back? Or paragliding?
I know I need to expand the map to the left... maybe GLR thought we didn't want Cuegan to go farher since they reached the border of the map: I hope not, I don't want to be responsible for Megan's attack by Lucky :(

Anyway, I've added "human marks" sightings to the map. I'd like to do the same with molpies, although I still don't know how to do it simply (is the wiki complete about molpy sightings? are the animated gifs collected in one place?)


Wiki is NOT yet complete on molpy sightings. Recent periods are. Anything from the Vineyard Period to the Epic of Pricklymolp is completely up-to-date on Molpy sightings. Otherwise, I'm still working on more documentation in both directions.

Wait for it. ;)

ETA: As of the spot that I'm at in the past, nobody has yet correctly identified that "Love means never having to say you're sorry... that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard" is from arguably the best comedy of all time, and one of Peter Bogdonavich's greatest films, "What's up Doc?"
Last edited by kenmelken on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4896
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
rvloon wrote:What makes these stickpeople go on? What do they want from life?
These two want to understand why the sea is rising... what is "wrong" with the river. Although right now they probably want to survive another day. (When you're up to your ass in alligators, it's easy to forget that your original goal was to drain the swamp).

Jose

Or sharks. Maybe the sea is rising because Poseidon attempted an upgrade.
Last edited by HES on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
rvloon wrote:PS: of course to discover that BlitzGirl is twenty years younger than I am, I never would have guessed.
I smell chocolate melting in a very large cauldron!

Jose


Harrumph (says this old codger). Twenty years younger is hardly enough!
No, don't bother propositioning me. I'm nowhere near rich enough, or near-death enough, to make it worth while :oops:
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6908
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: Ketchup after a proper nix of coma (first in a while)

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:Image

³!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
ronaldkr
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:37 am UTC
Location: near the center of the Euro depression

Re: 1190: Connection Map Visualisation, Interactive

Postby ronaldkr » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
f0rmicUla wrote:I'm not into programming and such very much, but: Instead of pushing a huge image file, you could have the graph painted in the browser with some AJAX/SVG/CSS magic, no?

Oh well, even the graph file is about 2,2 MB and it needs some time writing it, but nevertheless I did a very quick and dirty test. You can search the graph, click on the little orange left upper corner arrows and play around with it a bit. Not sure if it is any good, it's definitely not real time though:
http://xkcd.mscha.org/sciscitor/gefx/index.html#Test.gexf

Nobody commented on this yet?

WOW.

Much more useful than the big SVG files with crossing and overlapping lines.

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Ketchup after a proper nix of coma (first in a while)

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:Image

³!


Very nice. On the Cugan's "people" hypothesis... I'm thinking that a molpcat would probably not approach a human dwelling unless it had been abandoned for a very long time. Does not mean there are not others at the mountaintop or visible from there, but does suggest to me that the chances of finding someone soon are lower.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6908
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: Connection Map Visualisation, Interactive

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

ronaldkr wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
f0rmicUla wrote:I'm not into programming and such very much, but: Instead of pushing a huge image file, you could have the graph painted in the browser with some AJAX/SVG/CSS magic, no?

Oh well, even the graph file is about 2,2 MB and it needs some time writing it, but nevertheless I did a very quick and dirty test. You can search the graph, click on the little orange left upper corner arrows and play around with it a bit. Not sure if it is any good, it's definitely not real time though:
http://xkcd.mscha.org/sciscitor/gefx/index.html#Test.gexf

Nobody commented on this yet?
WOW.
Much more useful than the big SVG files with crossing and overlapping lines.

⁷, that is indeed ¹¹!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

mscha wrote:@AluisioASG: interesting theory, The Truman Show. I don't think we've seen that yet. Who would be Truman, though – Cueball or Megan? Or I guess they both could be. (I'd say Cueball. In that case, the whole Lucky attack and Megan's injury could be a setup.)


Actually...
Earliest mention I can find is on newpage 47 - an old TimeWaiter known as TheMulattoMaker mentioned it as a possible ending for the comic.
Next reference was on newpage 382 - by a one-off poster who never came back as far as I know.

So yeah, it has been seen before, as with anything on this thread :D
Image

Foible
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:44 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Foible » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

Hi All,

I've been following this comic since it started (thanks to everyone here making it readily available) but I haven't posted anything yet. Mainly because I've had nothing unique to contribute.

Anyway, a theory came to me about Cuegan over the weekend. I don't think I've seen it here so I'll share. These "simplified" versions of our characters are AI simulations inside a computer in the XKCD universe. They know facts out of context from their initial database and they're trying to learn new ones to connect what they do know. This would explain why they know that sand castles are crenelated but not know that living things feed their young. It also helps explain why they never considered the possibility of predators until they encounter one. Of course, this also means that the predator is being simulated and is still learning how to be an effective predator.

The whole universe in this comic feels like a minecraft or dwarf fortress game to me.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 101 guests