1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kenmelken

Re: It looked like a giant beach-lump with spikes.

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

Another ketchup post... This didn't seem to be properly answered (at least as far as I've read).
Eternal Density wrote:So I figure the potential people at the top - which can't be more than a day or so away - are different to the people in the hills - which are a long way away.
Which seems to indicate that Cuegan have walked for several days. So when did they coma?

As I posted a while back to similar question on 880:
kenmelken wrote:Wiki-Warrior to the rescue! They've actually slept at least four times that we've seen during the Journey Eon, during each of the following Periods:
*Fake Loop
*Second River Period
*The Tree Period
*Tiny River Period

We have no reference to know how long these sleep periods are, but I've never seen them as 4 naps, but rather 4 full sleep periods, especially because they've also taken numerous other breaks as well. We also do not know how long they traveled along the Sea, due to the fade. After the fade, we are dropped on them mid-journey, and the fade seems to take a significant amount of time due to the amount which the sea rises relative to how much it does during the Sandcastle Eon in total (I'm guessing at least several OTC days). Thus, I actually think that walking along the sea was approximately equal in time/distance to everything since they turned at the river. Approximately. (IMHO)
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Eutychus

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eutychus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

Foible wrote:Anyway, a theory came to me about Cuegan over the weekend. I don't think I've seen it here so I'll share. These "simplified" versions of our characters are AI simulations inside a computer in the XKCD universe. They know facts out of context from their initial database and they're trying to learn new ones to connect what they do know. This would explain why they know that sand castles are crenelated but not know that living things feed their young. It also helps explain why they never considered the possibility of predators until they encounter one. Of course, this also means that the predator is being simulated and is still learning how to be an effective predator.

Welcome!

That would certainly fit with my Uncanny Valley of Dialogue observation.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

No ONG's noticed the new river!

ETA: Vatican Milliner's Perfect ONG! Page decree: give me image manips :twisted:

ETA2: Darn, no longer pagepope :P Do whatever you want.
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Zorin_75

Re: 1190: Connection Map Visualisation, Interactive

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

mscha wrote:⁷, that is indeed ¹¹!

A little prickly? :)
But yeah, ⁷ indeed. Really fascinating...

=-=-=-=-=-=

foible wrote: but not know that living things feed their young.

They certainly knew that, they just didn't immediately recognize chilpy as a fledgling. Doesn't really strike me as that odd if they weren't familiar with that particular species.

It also helps explain why they never considered the possibility of predators until they encounter one.

Or they're just in unfamiliar territory, far from home (they certainly seem to know a lot about dangerous snakes). Besides, Lucky is a sneaky meowlpy...
Go Minim go!

karhell

Postby karhell » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

karhell's letters to the TimeWaiters (and other forum dwellers), chapter 2, verses n to n+p

Warning : wall O' text ahoy!

Right, the OneTrueReply.txt is an incredible idea... wonder why I didn't come up with it earlier...
Opera Notes and Sync also do an admirable work keeping track of things across my various computers ^^

Aaaaanyway, let's start with a minor annoyance :

Opiboble wrote:I just had a very twisted idea...

Spoiler:
That we put everything in 10 size for a few pages.... just to mess with all that follow us, muahahahahaha.

that would be incredibly mean, less maybe than the ROT13/morse/whatever other encryptions, but mean nevertheless.

buffygirl wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Oh come on!

Opiboble, stop it, or you won't get a hat!

Thank you, Archcardinal. T'will save us blitzers much alt-tabbing

I crossed some typical Time attitude

Helper wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Helper wrote: You know what pisses me off? Religion.
<snip>

A pope who hates religion?

I think this thread just broke something.

All in a day's work

NP 524, Wnderer seems to have fun with color (I'd link, but 3 posts is too few for that)

Some usual madness
pelrigg wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Right! Because when you least expect it, that's when it'll happen. So we should always inspect our expectations to accept that the unexpected should not be an exception to our expected unexpectedness, except when it's accepted for inspection of our expectations, don't you think?

Is it bad that what he said made perfect sense to me?

I have to admit, that used to bother me, but you know, once you don't need to second think about what "fixing the mustard" means, there's no turning back ;)

An interesting story/idea by Azule :
azule wrote:
Spoiler:
It's time for another tale. A firefox tail.

There once was a little firefox named Ffoxy. Ffoxy dreamed of one day going to the beach. Why the beach? For the sand. Ffoxy, like all firefoxes soon after birth, had his tail lit, for warmth and protection. With his beautiful, flaming tail, Ffoxy wanted to dance with the golden sand. Jumping and rolling on the shore, but never near the water.

One day, a strange bald man and a skinny woman came across Ffoxy playing on a grassy hill. They seemed frightened, at first, but Ffoxy did nothing but yip and laugh. Soon they were a group. The bald man decided it would be a good idea to travel to a remote beach to waste some time and have some fun. Ffoxy got to come along.

It was a wonderful beach. So much sand, with so much of it far from the dangerous water. Ffoxy played happily a great distance from the sea, which was big, while the bald man and skinny woman built sand castles.

Ffoxy was dazzled by the sand. Dipping his tail into the land, it created a pool of molten silica. Removing the flame and allowing the pool to solidify, Ffoxy knocked more sand into the hole with his paw, then dipped his tail in again. He was having fun creating larger and larger shapes.

The bald man came over to watch. He was quite stricken with the skill this little firefox was exhibiting. He wondered if Ffoxy could make complex shapes. They were building castles, a flag would be nice. Ffoxy was eager to try. Dashing his tail around like a paint brush, Ffoxy tried his hardest and managed to make a nice, long pole. The bald man was impressed but left to go work on the castles some more.

Ffoxy continued to try some shapes he'd seen, swiping his tail around with the skill of a carver. Soon, the skinny woman came to see Ffoxy. The bald man had told her what he could do and she wanted to see. Ffoxy tried again, this time making a flag shape. She was impressed. She encouraged him to keep trying while she stayed near building more shapes of her own in the sand.

After many moments of praise Ffoxy was finally shaping fully the flag with pole. Such glee on both their faces. The skinny woman took the nice flags to their beautifully shaped castles. Ffoxy laid down, really happy, yet sleepy. He snoozed with the warmth of his tail and the warmth of sun.

Ffoxy had a wonderful day at the beach.

There seems to be much ambient pessimism, theories about cueball being dead, caught in a beartrap, and goodness knows what else, based on the grounds that predicting the comic's end should ward it away... 'tis an odd pessimistic-optimistic point of view.

Occasionally, I cross Vytron's signposts; hello, Past-Vytron, pleased to past-meet you!

And some discussion on forwarded firstposts
SBN wrote:Two questions. How much is a wall, and how does spoilering it help? Do you just scroll past, not reading those? If you unspoiler them to read them, don't you have to scroll anyway? In any case, I'll spoiler the Firstposts I've thrown forward above, but I do hope they get read and noticed.

For what it's worth, they have been both read and noticed :)

aaaaaaaand... a new river is reached (even bigger than it looked, although still [presumably] smaller than the sea [which is, needless to say, big {and does whatever it wants}])

--karhell, logging out at NP535/920
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:No ONG's noticed the new river!

Frame 2219

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

akacat wrote:Blind posting because I'm about to head off to a dental appt which may put me out of commission for the rest of the dix. Or perhaps not, I guess I'll find out.
bLIND rEPLYING: All related, I was talking about how I need to go there too. Hope you're not put out of commission. GL!

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:
CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:
CasCat wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
rvloon wrote:The storyseeker in me is looking for a meaning to home in on, something to root for - and so far, if I take out the excitement and the local wildlife I come up short.

B-b-but... that's the whole point. We have to wait for it!

I feel like if there was a 'point' that we were aware of, it would take away from the waiting. Anything could happen, and it's almost impossible to conjecture, as is shown by the percentage of incorrect predictions in the OTT.

Let's see, that would be... 99.997%?

CasCat BlitzGirl the Fast

You cannot definitively prove a prediction incorrect! All you can say is "that didn't happen...yet."

Sure you can. It's possible to prove a certain class of negatives. For example, I can prove that there is no living, corporeal, full-sized Indian Elephant sitting in my desk drawer right now.

You just need to define the terms narrowly enough for proof.

You can definitely prove a time-limited prediction incorrect. On another forum, shortly after the the terrible Indonesian Tsunami, a forum member claimed he had a prophesy granted to him by God Himself (yes, he was serious) that Las Vegas, Nevada would be destroyed by a tsunami no later than July 1, 2007. (He was also, apparently, entirely ignorant of US geography and topology.) July 2007 came and went, and Las Vegas is still there.

Likewise, people who say, "in the next newpix, THIS will happen" can definitively be proven correct or incorrect at the time of the next newpix.

Now, if they say, "sometime during the OTC, giant robots will land and start Areforming (like Terraforming, but into a Mars-like environment) the stip.... well, that cannot be disproven until the [heresy]End of Time[/heresy].

Ninja'd. By Wildhound. A DOG. Oh, the ignominity... <sulks off to nap. Sulkily>

(This is a joke. Because I'm a cat. No actual flames intended.)

Cassy BlitzGirl the Fast the First

To be fair, your post was a lot more thorough than mine and probably doesn't deserve to have been spoilered!

<perks up>Thank you.<unsulk>

CasCat BlitzGirl the Fast the First
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

Two more posts have been added behind ChronosDragon's! Someone must go and get the firstposts that bumped it, so we may all see them.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Tomato Syrup

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Cueball wrote:I'll carry everything

Is it me or is the lettering weird on the "I'll"?

Wait, so there is a xkcd-Serif.otf somewhere?

Red Hal wrote:Uh-Oh, Megan injured, and now it looks like Cueball is about to kick the bucket.

Welcome back.

IceIsNice wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:@IceIsNice: Welcome to the thread! How's it feel to be frozen?

Thanks. It's cool....

FTFY

rvloon wrote:So, for a *comic* it isn't very comical. Nor is it very thoughtprovoking. So, it would be interesting to know what the true idea behind it was. Whether metaphoric or deep, I think without the OTT it would never have been as entertaining for me as it currently has been.

Perhaps it should have been named "Life" instead.

ronaldkr wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
f0rmicUla wrote:I'm not into programming and such very much, but: Instead of pushing a huge image file, you could have the graph painted in the browser with some AJAX/SVG/CSS magic, no?

Oh well, even the graph file is about 2,2 MB and it needs some time writing it, but nevertheless I did a very quick and dirty test. You can search the graph, click on the little orange left upper corner arrows and play around with it a bit. Not sure if it is any good, it's definitely not real time though:
http://xkcd.mscha.org/sciscitor/gefx/index.html#Test.gexf

Nobody commented on this yet?

WOW.

Much more useful than the big SVG files with crossing and overlapping lines.

I must agree. It's awesome.

ChronosDragon wrote:
mscha wrote:@AluisioASG: interesting theory, The Truman Show. I don't think we've seen that yet. Who would be Truman, though – Cueball or Megan? Or I guess they both could be. (I'd say Cueball. In that case, the whole Lucky attack and Megan's injury could be a setup.)

Actually...
Earliest mention I can find is on newpage 47 - an old TimeWaiter known as TheMulattoMaker mentioned it as a possible ending for the comic.
Next reference was on newpage 382 - by a one-off poster who never came back as far as I know.

So yeah, it has been seen before, as with anything on this thread :D

Both these theories refer to the OTT (our behavior), not to the OTC.

1stPost
Marsh'n wrote:Meant to say in my last/first post - blindposting here.
HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:As someone who lurks in the background, usually checking in less than daily, I can confirm the thread is a bit intimidating to an outsider.

I likewise find the volume intimidating - but the people welcoming, which is what really counts, isn't it? Given that I'm on 907 and NP are being added faster than I am ketchuping, I truly wonder how fast the true blitzers read. Must be some unRandally number of words per dix. (Or nix for those who seem never to coma.)

I heard of someone at 100np/dix.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Two more posts have been added behind ChronosDragon's! Someone must go and get the firstposts that bumped it, so we may all see them.

Not since this one, which was bumped already, I believe.
No idea what happened...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Two more posts have been added behind ChronosDragon's! Someone must go and get the firstposts that bumped it, so we may all see them.

By golly you're right! I will grudgingly rescind my popehood.

Someguy945 wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:No ONG's noticed the new river!

Frame 2219

Oh. Right. Well then. Carry on.

mscha

Re: 1190: Connection Map Visualisation, Interactive

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
mscha wrote:⁷, that is indeed ¹¹!

A little prickly? :)

Yup. Those spines are sharp!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Rule110

Re: Episode IV: A New Graph

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

Firstpost bumped for'ard:

Marsh'n wrote:
Kieryn wrote:I would expect to see an increase in new posters during the exciting cat mauling episode, but it's probably too early yet for the new posts to have passed the initial quarantine.

Or to feel like we had fulfilled our blitzing quota adequately to delurk. Thanks Kieryn, your post pushed me over the edge to say hello. And thanks j3 for the awesome graph that inspired this. And thanks to all for giving me the feeling of walking into a family reunion.

I'll be back with a signature and the like when I am fully enabled. But for now, back to the blitzing...

3 cubed, but not diced or julienned, I hope.

Secondpost bumped for'ard"

Marsh'n wrote:Meant to say in my last/first post - blindposting here.

HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:As someone who lurks in the background, usually checking in less than daily, I can confirm the thread is a bit intimidating to an outsider.

I likewise find the volume intimidating - but the people welcoming, which is what really counts, isn't it? Given that I'm on 907 and NP are being added faster than I am ketchuping, I truly wonder how fast the true blitzers read. Must be some unRandally number of words per dix. (Or nix for those who seem never to coma.)

Marsh'n
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

Blindposting from 20 pages ago: I just had a thought last night of writing a science fiction story in which we're all multi-dimensional beings, and schizophrenic people are the ones who can form memories in extra dimensions that they bring back with them to our 3 of space and one of time dimension that we mundane types live in. Perhaps if we could get an army of schizophrenic dimension travelers, we could rescue Cuegan from out of the OTC and bring them here. There may be various problems with that, since they are stick (i.e. 2 dimensional) figures they may find it hard to take nourishment here, for example.

Unrelated: I have a question which someone might like to address on the wiki page for "Molpy". I see that it arose as a portmanteau of Mole and Compy, but what is the etymology of "Compy"? Does it mean computer? Or is it some type of creature? Or what? Thanks in advance for answering the question of a n00b.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Not since this one, which was bumped already, I believe.
No idea what happened...

Rule110 wrote:Firstpost bumped for'ard:
Secondpost bumped for'ard"

Ah, that's why I didn't find anything, I looked for “Posts: 1”.

Welcome, Marsh'n!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:Blindposting from 20 pages ago: I just had a thought last night of writing a science fiction story in which we're all multi-dimensional beings, and schizophrenic people are the ones who can form memories in extra dimensions that they bring back with them to our 3 of space and one of time dimension that we mundane types live in. Perhaps if we could get an army of schizophrenic dimension travelers, we could rescue Cuegan from out of the OTC and bring them here. There may be various problems with that, since they are stick (i.e. 2 dimensional) figures they may find it hard to take nourishment here, for example.

Unrelated: I have a question which someone might like to address on the wiki page for "Molpy". I see that it arose as a portmanteau of Mole and Compy, but what is the etymology of "Compy"? Does it mean computer? Or is it some type of creature? Or what? Thanks in advance for answering the question of a n00b.

I think it came from Compsognathus. Since the first molpies were unidentifiable, BlitzGirl did an enhancement which depicted a small dinosaur running through the grass. So, they combined the idea of a mole and a compsognathus.

At least, that is how I vaguely remember it. Compsognathus came up in a Google search for "Compy". They may have used another small dinosaur that starts with "comp".

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Ah, that's why I didn't find anything, I looked for “Posts: 1”.

Welcome, Marsh'n!

Indeed, welcome. And that's the one thing I like about the page-popes, it helps us find firstposts. (And, in this case, secondposts.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Well, this is more like how I remember the OTT:
(click for full size, probably doesn't fit on screen)

Lotsa people on :D
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:Blindposting from 20 pages ago: I just had a thought last night of writing a science fiction story in which we're all multi-dimensional beings, and schizophrenic people are the ones who can form memories in extra dimensions that they bring back with them to our 3 of space and one of time dimension that we mundane types live in.

What do you mean... "fiction"? :P
Anyway, sounds fun, would love to read it...
Go Minim go!

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

RefillONG water bottles
Although, they look more like some sort of bota bag type vessel.
Last edited by slinches on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Marsh'n wrote:
I heard of someone at 100np/dix.
Indeed, there have been two such blitzers, CasCat and taixzo, who have clocked in at over 100np/dix. They have gained the new title BlitzGirl the Fast (in addition to BlitzGirl the Next).

So, have you been here all along, lurking in the shadows? Or did you arrive recently to an already existing almost-thousand-page thread?

In either case, welcome to both of you!

Tatiana wrote: but what is the etymology of "Compy"? Does it mean computer? Or is it some type of creature?
It is a creature - the littlest dinosaur, from Jurassic Park.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Tatiana wrote:Blindposting from 20 pages ago: I just had a thought last night of writing a science fiction story in which we're all multi-dimensional beings, and schizophrenic people are the ones who can form memories in extra dimensions that they bring back with them to our 3 of space and one of time dimension that we mundane types live in. Perhaps if we could get an army of schizophrenic dimension travelers, we could rescue Cuegan from out of the OTC and bring them here. There may be various problems with that, since they are stick (i.e. 2 dimensional) figures they may find it hard to take nourishment here, for example.

I think it came from Compsognathus. Since the first molpies were unidentifiable, BlitzGirl did an enhancement which depicted a small dinosaur running through the grass. So, they combined the idea of a mole and a compsognathus.

At least, that is how I vaguely remember it. Compsognathus came up in a Google search for "Compy". They may have used another small dinosaur that starts with "comp".

It looks like mscha first called it a compy here: viewtopic.php?p=3356500#p3356500

Then BlitzGirl did her enhancement here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3356510#p3356510

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

Whoa... just caught up to the current page, surprised to see myself at the top of it.

I guess this means I'm in charge around here right now... Well, since I'm late to the party on this fact, I don't think I'm much of a pope or supreme emperor or semi-supreme emperor. I'll just title myself the Kindly Caretaker of 920.

No decrees. Just be nice.

Just for the record, this makes 8 papacies, 2 imperial reigns, and 1 kindly caretaking.

ETA: Hmm... now that I've started reading this page, I realize that ChronosDragon was the original pope, and I'm pretty sure the rule goes that whoever first starts it, even if later knocked off by a new post retains the title. Thus, I relinquish my caretaker-ship and put things back in ChronosDragon's capable claws.

EDIT 2: AND... having now finished this page I'm in the present again! YAAAYYY!!! Some fun recent discussions on the meaning of the comic and other cool things. Was too busy trying to catch up to respond to everything that I thought was awesome, but I'm glad to be back. :) It was fun to see that animated autostereogram make a resurgence as well.
Last edited by kenmelken on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:17 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Whoa... just caught up to the current page, surprised to see myself at the top of it.

I guess this means I'm in charge around here right now... Well, since I'm late to the party on this fact, I don't think I'm much of a pope or supreme emperor or semi-supreme emperor. I'll just title myself the Kindly Caretaker of 920.

No decrees. Just be nice.

Just for the record, this makes 8 papacies, 2 imperial reigns, and 1 kindly caretaking.

ETA: Hmm... now that I've started reading this page, I realize that ChronosDragon was the original pope, and I'm pretty sure the rule goes that whoever first starts it, even if later knocked off by a new post retains the title. Thus, I relinquish my caretaker-ship and put things back in ChronosDragon's capable claws.

Heheheh...eh ha ha...MWA HA HA... *ahem*

I suppose then my original decree should stand. Image manips, people!

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:It looks like mscha first called it a compy here: viewtopic.php?p=3356500#p3356500

Then BlitzGirl did her enhancement here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3356510#p3356510

...and named it here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3356510#p3356525

And BTW also draws the most awesomeful molpics: <3
Go Minim go!

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

slinches wrote:RefillONG water bottles
Spoiler:

It's a dilgunnerang. And they only have one left for refillONG.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

Since I am no longer the Kindly Caretaker, I must obey the papal decree:
Redundant attachment:
Spoiler:
manip.png

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
slinches wrote:RefillONG water bottles
Spoiler:

It's a dilgunnerang. And they only have one left for refillONG.

Yes, I know. I was hoping everyone else had forgotten. I'd much rather think of them as drinking out of a bota bag since the implied contents are water or wine rather than whatever comes out of a dilgunnerang. Image

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

Foible wrote:Hi All,

I've been following this comic since it started (thanks to everyone here making it readily available) but I haven't posted anything yet. Mainly because I've had nothing unique to contribute.

Anyway, a theory came to me about Cuegan over the weekend. I don't think I've seen it here so I'll share. These "simplified" versions of our characters are AI simulations inside a computer in the XKCD universe. They know facts out of context from their initial database and they're trying to learn new ones to connect what they do know. This would explain why they know that sand castles are crenelated but not know that living things feed their young. It also helps explain why they never considered the possibility of predators until they encounter one. Of course, this also means that the predator is being simulated and is still learning how to be an effective predator.

The whole universe in this comic feels like a minecraft or dwarf fortress game to me.

Don't worry... it's nigh impossible to contribute anything original on this thread anymore. The originality comes from saying the same thing again now the context has changed.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

For the pope. Check my mad manip skillz!
Spoiler:
manipmaybe.png
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
f0rmicUla wrote:I'm not into programming and such very much, but: Instead of pushing a huge image file, you could have the graph painted in the browser with some AJAX/SVG/CSS magic, no?

Oh well, even the graph file is about 2,2 MB and it needs some time writing it, but nevertheless I did a very quick and dirty test. You can search the graph, click on the little orange left upper corner arrows and play around with it a bit. Not sure if it is any good, it's definitely not real time though:
http://xkcd.mscha.org/sciscitor/gefx/index.html#Test.gexf
Edited for spelling.

7,3!
Is there a legend that explains the color and size of people's dots, and the meaning of the attributes? I think that color and/or size relate to the number of posts/quotes, 1 stands for the number of posts/quotes at the time the data were compiled, 2 is the date of the first post/quote, id should be self-explanatory, and 0 might denote whether the user quoted someone, was quoted, or both. Besides all this uncertainty, I can't figure out what 3 might stand for.

3: pretty neat, and even bigger than it looked
7: wow
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

azule
Saved

Re: Thoughts on Time

Postby azule » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:In real life, we would condense the story so far to:
Spoiler:
Two people are at the beach, build a huge sandcastle using some kind of magic warehouse for supplies (we have only seen them walking afterward, and not enough of a pan to the left to see where they got all their stuff). It is unclear what their relationship status is, but it is apparently not very touchy-feely (or maybe one of them is allergic to the other). Still, they decide to embark on a journey together, apparently on a whim. So, they are apparently not obligated by society or a job to be at a certain place at a certain time to perform a certain function. The journey they are about to undertake is of undetermined length, so there's apparently not a strong tie to family and/or friends, nor do they have ways to communicate with them. Food and supplies (sustenance in general) is limited to what they can carry (so it is unlikely they brought anything to the beach themselves).

There are apparently people around, but they keep themselves out of frame, and there is very little to indicate some form of sophisticated engineering (ie no powered devices of any kind). Even the journey is not very exciting, if you discount some of the encounters with the local wildlife (snake, beesnake, catsnake). Considering their naivety it is a surprise that not one of them was seriously injured before getting so far up the mountain. I know I would have been.
This is a nice Outsider/Heretical summary. :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

f0rmicUla

Postby f0rmicUla » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

For Pope ChronosDragon:

time_02.png

Cheers, f0rmi
I'm a little pea | I love the sky and the trees | I'm a teeny tiny little ant | Checkin' out this and that

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

I've been following this comic since it started (thanks to everyone here making it readily available) but I haven't posted anything yet. Mainly because I've had nothing unique to contribute.

Anyway, a theory came to me about Cuegan over the weekend. I don't think I've seen it here so I'll share. These "simplified" versions of our characters are AI simulations inside a computer in the XKCD universe. They know facts out of context from their initial database and they're trying to learn new ones to connect what they do know. This would explain why they know that sand castles are crenelated but not know that living things feed their young. It also helps explain why they never considered the possibility of predators until they encounter one. Of course, this also means that the predator is being simulated and is still learning how to be an effective predator.

The whole universe in this comic feels like a minecraft or dwarf fortress game to me.

Hi Foible. If you ever have a theory, post it. Worry not if it has been theorized before, or not. Everything that can be said has probably already been said. It is more about saying the same thing in a different way or at a different time, so that it only appears to be something not once said before.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

Hi Foible. If you ever have a theory, post it. Worry not if it has been theorized before, or not. Everything that can be said has probably already been said. It is more about saying the same thing in a different way or at a different time, so that it only appears to be something not once said before.

Sorry k.bookbinder... I think I ninja'd you there! ;)

Anyway, actually what we said I think is not completely true.

The OTC itself does remain a source of originality. Comments about the current frame and any new insights it may provide continue to lend originality to the OTT.

The other original things out there are many potential works of art, graphs, visualizations that exist in various states; some in the back of our consciousness, some half expressed in past-posts, some works in progress etc.

What ideas have been exhausted I think are ideas and theories about the comics intent, its final destination, it's universe and whether it is a simulation or a story etc etc.

I would love for someone to prove me epically wrong on that last point.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:

Sorry k.bookbinder... I think I ninja'd you there! ;)

Anyway, actually what we said I think is not completely true.

The OTC itself does remain a source of originality. Comments about the current frame and any new insights it may provide continue to lend originality to the OTT.

The other original things out there are many potential works of art, graphs, visualizations that exist in various states; some in the back of our consciousness, some half expressed in past-posts, some works in progress etc.

What ideas have been exhausted I think are ideas and theories about the comics intent, its final destination, it's universe and whether it is a simulation or a story etc etc.

I would love for someone to prove me epically wrong on that last point.

Hm. Indeed. It appears I have said what you already did ;)
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Since I am no longer the Kindly Caretaker, I must obey the papal decree:
Spoiler:

Redundant attachment:

Wonderful! I knew something was up with this scene. You have clearly shown that Megan and Cueball are in grave danger of being attacked by a dead snake! Eugh!

jovialbard wrote:For the pope. Check my mad manip skillz!
Spoiler:
manipmaybe.png

A manip is a manip, no matter how crude. I didn't say I wanted good photomanips :P

f0rmicUla wrote:For Pope ChronosDragon:

time_02.png

Cheers, f0rmi

Brilliant! Just what we were all thinking. (Well, what I was thinking, anyway).

And because I am not a cruel and greedy pope, here is my manip for you all!

Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

DrinkONG

ETA: Is she drinking now because they only have one dilgunnerang left?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

Spoiler:
ucim wrote:@AluisioASG: The Last Time Waiter just gets better and better! You have me on the edge of my seat!

Angelastic wrote:As for extra dimensions, you can use a Möbius strip to illustrate how even a tiny extra dimension that we can't travel into gives us an extra property. A Möbius strip is made of a two-dimensional strip, but if you have just a little space in one dimension you can twist it and then join the ends make it into a loop. Try it with a stray Coke bottle label; you can stick the ends together without any extra tape or anything. Then you get two things which remind me of particle physics:

A thing that makes 'spin 1/2' particles make sense. Spin is kind of an abstract property of particles that may not actually have anything to do with spinning, but you can think of it as how many times you will see the same thing each time you spin it 360 degrees. If you have a coffee cup with a handle, you only see the handle once each turn, so it has spin 1. If you have a cup with a handle on each side, you see a handle twice each time you spin it, so it has spin 2. But a spin 1/2 particle is like a coffee cup where you have to turn it around twice just to see the handle once. And a Möbius strip is like that! If you follow around it with your finger, when you go around the strip once, you are on a different side of the strip from before. You have to go around it twice to get to the same place as before.
A thing that has chirality (handedness.) There are two different directions you can twist the strip, and once you've joined the ends together, there is no way that you can make one kind of Möbius strip into the other. Particles also come in two chiralities.

So you can think of the extra dimensions as having just enough space to twist strips of paper or comic strips and turn them into loops, so that the loops have different properties depending on how they're twisted. You don't have to be able to move around in that direction, but if the Möbius strips and other loops happen to be spinning, we'll notice that they have different behaviour.
That is quite insightful - it adds a whole new dimension to my thinking about particle physics and such. Brilliant!

re: false colors
- there is a site (which I can't find right now) with another false color trick. It has a magenta square and a dull blue-green square. You stare at the magenta square for a minute or two (to tire out the red cones), and then scroll down to the dull blue-green square, which appears as brilliant teal. I read also somewhere that shrimp have fourteen different kinds of cones, extending across a wider spectrum than we can see. That must be some awesomeful color-experience they have!

Jose

Blindpost from NP 856.

This discussion about color perception reminded me of two links I dug out of my browser history :
http://color.method.ac/ : a game where you have to match colors on a wheel
http://blog.asmartbear.com/color-wheels.html : an article explaining how our brain applies filters to our three types of cones to generate colors (e.g. it explains why "greenish-red" can't be a real color)
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”