1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:CHILLYONG
Spoiler:

ETA: donnathebuffalo

She made a comment about the temperature nearly an Outside mip ago, back on np1821:
Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

So, temperature changes about 13 degrees C per kilocue of altitude. But they've only gone a tenth of that or so; would a degree or so be noticable?

ETA: pope'd again? I decree that all posters must reference temperature (whether real or in the OTC).
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

I wonder if that means in a few scenes we will see evergreens instead of the round puffy trees so far? Would look much more like home to squirlpies (yes, I spell it with an "l").
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
Rule110 wrote:So, can someone else try? Here are the edits that appear to be needed (in Source Mode) to give a dozen missing songs a home.

Done.
Would be easier to just replace the whole source code. I think I've just set a new record for number of times to consecutively eff up a wiki edit :P (so you might also want to double check what I've done...).
Especially since I did it too, and now there may be dupes. (And I didn't check to see if anybody had done it before me).

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:

So, temperature changes about 13 degrees C per kilocue of altitude. But they've only gone a tenth of that or so; would a degree or so be noticable?

ETA: pope'd again? I decree that all posters must reference temperature (whether real or in the OTC).

I am a believer in the idea that they have been traveling for days, and that mashups of frames may not be accurate. A few, like the grape vine ones, may indeed be adjacent, but many others are probably separated by hours of walking. We have no way of calculating or guessing how far they really have traveled, veritcally or otherwise. Cueball has hinted at days of travel, but how many?

Megan getting chilly might be an indication of her health as well. Time will tell.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

Progression dictates that in another mix:
Megan wrote:Shit. It's damn near freezing up here.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Megan getting chilly might be an indication of her health as well. Time will tell.

I am surpised we don't use the phrase 'Time will tell' more often here.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Especially since I did it too, and now there may be dupes. (And I didn't check to see if anybody had done it before me).
Jose

And I thought I hit Ctrl-v too many times :D
Right now it seems to be ok...
Go Minim go!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Whizbang wrote:Megan getting chilly might be an indication of her health as well. Time will tell.

Time will tell...
Image- Kieryn

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Progression dictates that in another mix:
Megan wrote:Shit. It's damn near freezing up here.

And a mip after that:
Cueball, cutting open a molpy wrote: And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:

I am a believer in the idea that they have been traveling for days, and that mashups of frames may not be accurate. A few, like the grape vine ones, may indeed be adjacent, but many others are probably separated by hours of walking. We have no way of calculating or guessing how far they really have traveled, veritcally or otherwise. Cueball has hinted at days of travel, but how many?

Megan getting chilly might be an indication of her health as well. Time will tell.

Based on the panoramas, we've only seen Megball travel ~1000q. Assuming a very slow walking pace of 130q per (inside, non-heretical) hour it would still be less than half a day's walk. I think we've seen, at most, 20% of their overall travel time.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:

Time will tell...

Time will tell
Time will tell
Time will tell
Time will tell
Time will tell

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

Megan is cold. Cueball should give her his coat, or skin or whatever. Make a move Cueball!
oh, and that was a shameful spelling error in my sig. Its fixed now :D
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:

Based on the panoramas, we've only seen Megball travel ~1000q. Assuming a very slow walking pace of 130q per (inside, non-heretical) hour it would still be less than half a day's walk. I think we've seen, at most, 20% of their overall travel time.

Maybe the missing time was when Cuegan were tracking a number of woozles?
Image- Kieryn

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

ergman wrote:Megan is cold. Cueball should give her his coat, or skin or whatever. Make a move Cueball!

Offering to give someone your skin is rather creepy. It'd give me the shivers at least.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

CameronCat

Postby CameronCat » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

@ Ergman: Well played! and thanks.
Apprentice Curmudgeon by appointment to the Order of the Holy Contradiction
Knight Luminary and Second Prelate of the Proscenium
It's all related

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
ergman wrote:Megan is cold. Cueball should give her his coat, or skin or whatever. Make a move Cueball!

Offering to give someone your skin is rather creepy. It'd give me the shivers at least.

What about requesting? Gimme some skin! Oh yeah.
Image- Kieryn

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

TATTLONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

A (probably) final Squirpy 2.0 animation update:

Image Image

It hasn't moved in 3 newpix.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

Hey, Charlie grumbs is on! come back to us charlie! There's cake about you on the internet!
Last edited by ergman on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:19 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
Rule110 wrote:So, can someone else try? Here are the edits that appear to be needed (in Source Mode) to give a dozen missing songs a home.

Done.
Would be easier to just replace the whole source code. I think I've just set a new record for number of times to consecutively eff up a wiki edit :P (so you might also want to double check what I've done...).
Especially since I did it too, and now there may be dupes. (And I didn't check to see if anybody had done it before me).

Jose

It looks good overall (no doubled sections or anything obvious like that). Thanks!

I knew that we had passed 100 songs last wip, but I wanted to have them in the wiki before announcing that, and it kept not working. We're now at 109 (give or take a few; there may still be ones missing or some that are judgment calls about whether they are complete enough to be listed there yet).

By the way, I put jjjdavidson's "The Naming of Filks" in as a poem rather than a song; it's a parody of "The Naming of Cats" which was a song (although whispered/chanted rather than sung) in the musical Cats, and before that was a TS Eliot poem. The only distinction in the words between the two is that the musical version ends with the final word repeated several times, which was not in Eliot's original nor in jjjdavidson's version.

Ah: cold mentioned again. If that becomes a serious issue, maybe the ensuing dialog will resolve the clothing question. (We can surmise that Megan's legs are bare or clad in tights or stockings, because a flag-bandage wouldn't show under a long skirt or slacks. TIghts seem unlikely because she couldn't have removed them while sitting down to get bandaged, without a lot of movement that would have been noticeable.)

It might seem I'm obsessing over clothing -- "Ooh, naked stick figures! *leer*" -- but knowing one way or the other would be a huge clue about their backgrounds and circumstances.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

thirds

Postby thirds » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

That molpy sequence was extremely subtle. What if there weren't people zooming into the images, making difference gifs to see the very slight changes? Randall apparently assumed there would be.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

thirds wrote:That molpy sequence was extremely subtle. What if there weren't people zooming into the images, making difference gifs to see the very slight changes? Randall apparently assumed there would be.

I imagine Randall was confident enough in the Joe Bident sandwich theory to kjnow that every frame would be obsessively analyzed.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

The very first molpy sightingc was extremely extremely subtle.
I suppose GLR figures he has us well-trained by now. :)

ccool
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:I knew that we had passed 100 songs last wip, but I wanted to have them in the wiki before announcing that, and it kept not working. We're now at 109 (give or take a few; there may still be ones missing or some that are judgment calls about whether they are complete enough to be listed there yet)

*cough*, *cough*
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Rule110 wrote:I knew that we had passed 100 songs last wip, but I wanted to have them in the wiki before announcing that, and it kept not working. We're now at 109 (give or take a few; there may still be ones missing or some that are judgment calls about whether they are complete enough to be listed there yet)

*cough*, *cough*

The cool thing about a wiki is that you can edit it yourself! Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

CameronCat wrote:Heh. You're not alone. Without a long story, many MANY years ago a friend and I competed in car rallies. I drove, he navigated**. Even with printed route sheets ("Turn Right at red barn...") he couldn't keep it sorted and would occasionally say "left" when the routes read "right." Not good for staying on the course. But for reasons unknown, he could parse it another way; he had no trouble calling "my side" or "your side" based on what he read. Worked like a charm, and we won a lot of events.

EXACTLY! I can ALWAYS point the right direction or give directions in other ways, but the words "right/left" throw me off and come out wrong about 30% of the time. That is far more problematic than being wrong 100% of the time, in which case others could simply learn to do the opposite of what I say, but when you are right a goodly amount more than you are left wrong, they never know when you are correct or not (and neither do I, because the brain simply doesn't parse those words correctly). I always say to trust which direction I point rather than what I say, because I always point correctly.

jjjdavidson wrote:That reminds me. Has RAZOR been clearing your zombie relocation efforts through Project Skin Horse?

That's... uh... classified.

Papal decree: it is warm where I am.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Hot hot hot!

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

@Angelastic: Loved Great S-C(OTT)!

iisjreg wrote:<snip> BEST REDUNDANT SPOILER EVAR!

:mrgreen: Thanks!

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Redundant spoiler:
Spoiler:

Now I have to check every other redundant spoiler for 'aww's

Perhaps if I keep using the same redundant redundant-spoiler-aww you will eventually believe me?

heather99 wrote:You know, even with all the incredibly insane things suggested in the sandcastle-stage of the comic, nobody could have managed to come close to guessing what this comic would become. Squirrels and all.

Indeed! There's no way to know what will happen in Time; we must Wait for it! Speaking of:

taixzo wrote:I am surpised we don't use the phrase 'Time will tell' more often here.

Perhaps if we hadn't had the title-text, that would have replaced Wait for it in the OTT lexicon. :) Of course, then what would we call ourselves? Timetellers? Hmm, not quite accurate, since "Time will tell" is not an instruction to the audience. And of course there is the problem that Time does not always tell us what is going on, and we have to try to figure it out for ourselves.

Vytron wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Psst - Vytron, if you happen this way, may I request a LaPetite smiley to go with our Cuegan ones?
Spoiler:
OMBG! A request from my goddess*, a custom smiley!

Sorry! But that's unpossible! The Megball and Cueball ones were possible because GLR made full frontal shots of them, and those shots were turned into smileys, but there's no such full frontal shot of LaPetite, only side-wide shots!

So, we'll have to wait it (LaPetite appearing in the OTC from a full frontal angle)
HOWEVER, IFF you can't wait for it, or you believe the OTT should go beyond the unpossible, click the following spoiler!
Spoiler:

Image Yay! So awefulsome! I will still Wait for full-frontal LaPetite (which sounds terribly inappropriate) in the OTC, but while I do, I shall gleefully make use of the unpossible smiley! Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
ucim wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

Done.

Jose

It looks good overall (no doubled sections or anything obvious like that). Thanks!

I knew that we had passed 100 songs last wip, but I wanted to have them in the wiki before announcing that, and it kept not working. We're now at 109 (give or take a few; there may still be ones missing or some that are judgment calls about whether they are complete enough to be listed there yet).

Spoiler:
By the way, I put jjjdavidson's "The Naming of Filks" in as a poem rather than a song; it's a parody of "The Naming of Cats" which was a song (although whispered/chanted rather than sung) in the musical Cats, and before that was a TS Eliot poem. The only distinction in the words between the two is that the musical version ends with the final word repeated several times, which was not in Eliot's original nor in jjjdavidson's version.

Ah: cold mentioned again. If that becomes a serious issue, maybe the ensuing dialog will resolve the clothing question. (We can surmise that Megan's legs are bare or clad in tights or stockings, because a flag-bandage wouldn't show under a long skirt or slacks. TIghts seem unlikely because she couldn't have removed them while sitting down to get bandaged, without a lot of movement that would have been noticeable.)

It might seem I'm obsessing over clothing -- "Ooh, naked stick figures! *leer*" -- but knowing one way or the other would be a huge clue about their backgrounds and circumstances

Make that 114 if all three of mine weren't missing.

Paint it Black
My Spirit Will Wait On
Megan, Bloody Megan

Is there some sort of standard identifier for these things that I don't know about or is it merely a coincidence?

If they're rather forgettable, that's fine too. I don't pretend to be great with these sort of creative works, but that doesn't stop me from doing it anyway.

Edited to update number to include HES's two and to say that I attempted to make an edit to the wiki page a while back but didn't see an easy way to add new items to the middle of the list without breaking the indices (the index is the link, which would have to be manually updated for each entry below the one being added).
Last edited by slinches on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
Eutychus wrote:k.bookbinder wrote:
clearly Cuegan care for one another.

That piece of syntax knocks all the debate about "you", "youse", "thee" and "thou" into joyous irrelevancy...

Oh dear, and Exodies and I just went there again. :| Just to be clear, to me this is an interesting and enjoyable discussion which I consider quasi-relevant because of the quirky dialogue in the OTC. I'd also like to thank Exodies for being so patient with my obtuseness!

Patient, but also lagging too much to have a normal conversation.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

slinches wrote:Make that 112 if all three of mine weren't missing.

Is there some sort of standard identifier for these things that I don't know about or is it merely a coincidence?

I refer the honourable gentlesnail to the comment 5 posts up. Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ggh

My MacBook lives again!

Postby ggh » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

And I'm back to taroting - albeit slowly.

This one is not particularly appropriate in the sense of its interpretation of going somewhere new and starting over, but I couldn't help taking advantage of the six. The boat and distant shore are traditional for this card and the smaller elements are inspired by the works of one of our literary stunners. Each of the pens represents one of the core words of this masterpiece.
Jose, I took your advice... mostly: there's- a wee irregularity in the kerning - I hope that works.
Tarot_swordsSix.jpg

Spoiler:

For the Pope's Pleasure: It's cool but sunny down here in Welly, but happily still after the crazy winds of last week.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

It's BorONG and freezONG. The old man is snoreONG.

Image- Kieryn

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

slinches wrote:I attempted to make an edit to the wiki page a while back but didn't see an easy way to add new items to the middle of the list without breaking the indices (the index is the link, which would have to be manually updated for each entry below the one being added).
The wiki does that automatically. It's an ordered list. All the numbers below will change by magic.

If you manually put in a number, then the list will start again with that number.

The wiki also supports unordered lists, just like HTML.

And awesome six of sWords! (eta) well befitting the awesome sestina of ergman. :)

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:It's BorONG and freezONG. The old man is snoreONG.

Spoiler:

Hey, what happened to all the amateur botanists in this thread? I wanna know what the heck kind of tree is on the left! (Yeah, okay, it's been on frame for a number of newpix, but I just realized no one has really analyzed it yet)

yappobiscuits

Re: My MacBook lives again!

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

ggh wrote:And I'm back to taroting - albeit slowly.

This one is not particularly appropriate in the sense of its interpretation of going somewhere new and starting over, but I couldn't help taking advantage of the six. The boat and distant shore are traditional for this card and the smaller elements are inspired by the works of one of our literary stunners. Each of the pens represents one of the core words of this masterpiece.
Jose, I took your advice... mostly: there's- a wee irregularity in the kerning - I hope that works.
Spoiler:

Is there a wiki page for these awesomeful tarot cards yet?
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Hey, what happened to all the amateur botanists in this thread? I wanna know what the heck kind of tree is on the left! (Yeah, okay, it's been on frame for a number of newpix, but I just realized no one has really analyzed it yet)

There are three types of tree; the tree⁴, the tree⁷, and the tree⁸. This is obviously not a tree⁷ or a tree⁸, so it has to be a tree⁴.
That what you were looking for? Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

mscha wrote:The cool thing about a wiki is that you can edit it yourself! Image

Yes, but some of us are wikinept.
He/Him/His Image

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Hey, what happened to all the amateur botanists in this thread? I wanna know what the heck kind of tree is on the left! (Yeah, okay, it's been on frame for a number of newpix, but I just realized no one has really analyzed it yet)

There are three types of tree; the tree⁴, the tree⁷, and the tree⁸. This is obviously not a tree⁷ or a tree⁸, so it has to be a tree⁴.
That what you were looking for? Image

I can't say what kind, but I can say it is probably not growing in the most ideal conditions.
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/3 ... 2370262431

ETA: Does this mean there are potential landslides afoot?
Last edited by Kieryn on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

HES wrote:
mscha wrote:The cool thing about a wiki is that you can edit it yourself! Image

Yes, but some of us are wikinept.

As I recall you can edit it in wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) mode, much like you would a text editor, and it's actually pretty easy. if you copy and past another row it should give you most of what you need, and then you just have to change the links and names. Give it a try!
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”