1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ergman

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:52 am UTC

Count me in for the Graphing. I feel like I have a particularly erratic posting behavior.
And I should also say that I'm going away for around two mips, and may or may not have Internet, and most certainly won't have that much time. I'll try to stay ketchupped if I can, but I will probably be perpetually about a page behind, and thus won't be posting unless its really important.
So for now, ciao! Coma well, and wait well, confreres.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Eternal Density

Niclep found some more food and started nibbling on it.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:01 am UTC

Just checkONG

Whoops, popeONG again! Keep up the molpy stuff from last page, I guess.
[edit a newpage later] oh looks like I got unpoped :(
Last edited by Eternal Density on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:42 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:02 am UTC

Poor Megan! I hope the top of the mountain isn't too far away. :(
ETA for pope: I already mentioned my family's pet wolpy on the lastpage. My grandpa also has one, a beagle named Cricket. Image
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:03 am UTC

I don't have enough ketchup time tonight :cry:

taixzo wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote: No, you're not the only one; don't worry. I don't have trouble with left and right, but I do with east and west... living on the east coast of the U.S.A., whenever I need to say something about east or west, I have to remind myself: "West is cowboys. East is China."

Even from the east coast of the US, China is still, well, west.
Not if you go far enough. :P Actually, the mnemonic works because cowboys bring to mind the Wild West, and China is ‘Eastern’ culture rather than ‘Western.’ Even if you ordinarily have to stop and think about which hemisphere is ‘Eastern,’ once you get the cowboys = west part, you've got it.

CameronCat wrote:<snip> he had no trouble calling "my side" or "your side" based on what he read. Worked like a charm, and we won a lot of events.
That really does work well, we use ‘driver’ and ‘passenger.’ It's also a great way to help kids learn left and right (at least until they get out of kindergarten) - what good does it do to look at the ‘L’ made by your thumbs and first fingers, when you're not sure which way the ‘L’ is supposed to go?!

moody7277 wrote:squirlpies (yes, I spell it with an "l").
I don't, because it makes me think of squirrel pie, and I'd rather have stewed.

Kieryn wrote:Maybe the missing time was when Cuegan were tracking a number of woozles?
Heffalumps would be more useful, then we could definitively eliminate Madagascar.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Eternal Density

Soon Niclep fell asleep.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:07 am UTC

Being right handed made it easy for me to remember I write with my right.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:21 am UTC

Since I mentioned one of my (family's) 3 meowmolpies on the last page, I'll mention my family's wolpy on this page! She's the muttiest mutt I've ever seen - she has 5 breeds (that we know of): Schnauzer, Cocker Spaniel, Pomeranian, Chihuahua, and Boston Terrier. We call her a "Shnauckeranian Terwuahua." Her mixed lineage hasn't given her any problems thus far, though she's a bit portly for her size :P

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:24 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Goodnight Rule110 and your lovely Goodnight Moon ottification!
Also, should mention that I give permission for graphage of my posting habits.

Now, I don't technically have my own molpy, but I do have a family pet wolpy:
Spoiler:
The attachment BlitzGirlWolpy1.png is no longer available

He's half German Shepherd and half Yellow Labrador.*
We got him when I was 11, and he's now an old man at 12 years old.
But he still takes his job of monitoring squirpy activity seriously:
The attachment BlitzGirlWolpy2.png is no longer available

*His heritage is a little suspect as we got him from a "Free Puppies" box outside of a supermarket. He is incredibly large, bigger than average size for either of the claimed breeds in his heritage, so we suspect that he probably has some other bloodline mingled in there. Either that, or he's a fine specimen of hybrid vigor.

Yes, wolpies are good at squirpy monitoring. Mine is particularly vigilant for the many many wild molpy-bunnies that live around my house.
IMG_20130625_214520.JPG

Also, I'd be interested to see Cuegan's dialog plotted in the same way as the thread posts. I think it would likely have a very similar pattern to the OTT, but if it doesn't that could be an interesting source of speculation.

ETA: this would have been posted on the prior page of molpy-postings if it wasn't for my internet going out just as I was attempting to preview. I had to tether to my cell phone just to get it to go through and see the next ONG.

ETA2: At least all of that effort was worthwhile (considering that this is my bicentennial post). I'm beginning to suspect that my ISP isn't just spying on me, but actively trying to mess with me. It can't just be a coincidence, can it? Image
Last edited by slinches on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:01 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Eternal Density

And slept.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:26 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Since I mentioned one of my (family's) 3 meowmolpies on the last page, I'll mention my family's wolpy on this page! She's the muttiest mutt I've ever seen - she has 5 breeds (that we know of): Schnauzer, Cocker Spaniel, Pomeranian, Chihuahua, and Boston Terrier. We call her a "Shnauckeranian Terwuahua." Her mixed lineage hasn't given her any problems thus far, though she's a bit portly for her size :P

Given that purebreeding means forcing less and less genetic variation, I'd say that extreme muttiness is less likely to make for health problems.

kenmelken

Re: OTTer Smileys!

Postby kenmelken » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:34 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I made some smileys! Can you guess who this lot are...

Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image

This is just the first set of 10, so don't worry if you haven't been smileyficated yet, I'm gonna do more! If you want to be included in a future set, just say so :D

Attachments:
Spoiler:
OTTSmileys-aluisioasg.gif
OTTSmileys-angelastic.gif
OTTSmileys-blitzgirl.gif
OTTSmileys-chronosdragon.gif
OTTSmileys-ergman.gif
OTTSmileys-hes.gif
OTTSmileys-kbookbinder.gif
OTTSmileys-kenmelken.gif
OTTSmileys-mscha.gif
OTTSmileys-slinches.gif

SWEET SASSY MOLASSY!!!!! I'm absolutely stunned! This is AWESOME! I'm, like, so honored to be included here! I love it! :D Greatest ketching up ever!

Also, thanks to y'all for tolerating my Wiki Festival. Hope I at least raised awareness of all the awesomeness that is there. Lots of users have put great amounts of time into making it a real treasure. If you didn't have a chance to observe the festival while it was happening on 929, by all means do so now. :) All it takes is either contributing to, or at the very least taking a moment to read something on and appreciate the wiki. :)

Sincerely,

In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Re: Niclep found some more food and started nibbling on it.

Postby slinches » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:42 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Just checkONG
Spoiler:

Whoops, popeONG again! Keep up the molpy stuff from last page, I guess.

Uh oh, Megan is admitting to being "not great"? That isn't a good sign at all, with her pride that means she could collapse and lose consciousness any newpix.

I hope they find help soon. Even if she learned some humility since jumping the stream, "not great" can turn to "bad" very quickly in these sorts of situations.

Eternal Density

And slept.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:52 am UTC

At least her voice is back to full size. I think she'll be slow but isn't anywhere near collapse yet.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:01 am UTC

tONGs of raptorcats!

Cute black wolpies, ChronosDragon and slinches. :)
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

And slept some more.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:02 am UTC

It's good that they're worryOing about this. Hopefully it does them some good.
(I figured it was time I let someone else get the ONG.)

BlitzGirl

:)

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:07 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:It's good that they're worryOing about this. Hopefully it does them some good.

Thongk you very much! Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

The sensation of falling woke him.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:09 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:It's good that they're worryOing about this. Hopefully it does them some good.

This is where I need a thong emoticon but I don't really want to google for that.

ofvn2vw1872

Postby ofvn2vw1872 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:12 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:tONGs of raptorcats!

They don't seem to be able to call lucky anything other than a thing. Points toward the newness of their experiences.
"It never seems to occur to people that a man might just want to write a piece of music"

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:15 am UTC

Spoiler:

Yes, lots of hungry hungry raptorcats out there. Although, at least they aren't hippos. I learned from an educational game I had as a kid that the hippo's diet consists primarily of small white spheres very similar to Cueball's head and that they hunt in packs of four.

And thanks! Mongo is a lab mix mutt of some sort, but that's just a guess since he's a rescue.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:20 am UTC

What a smileyful and molpyful dip it's been. Coma coma coma coma coma ottermolpy time.
Otter-Sleep.jpg
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:23 am UTC

ofvn2vw1872 wrote:
Spoiler:

They don't seem to be able to call lucky anything other than a thing. Points toward the newness of their experiences.

Or they've seen a UFO between frames.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Re: And slept.

Postby slinches » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:24 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:At least her voice is back to full size. I think she'll be slow but isn't anywhere near collapse yet.

Yeah, you're probably right. It just seems that there's been a lot of foreboding signs in the last few newpix: the startling squirpy, "not great", and now more raptorcats. Hopefully, this is all just lead up to some good news.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:33 am UTC

SBN wrote:We're a friendly bunch. We've made up some weird terms, we've got some weird traditions. Don't worry if you can't figure them out. Neither can we. Play along if you want, don't if you don't want. Ask if you want to know something. (Doesn't even have to be time related, we've got lots of other answers here too.)

If you ask something in the Tread, then it becomes Time related.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

SkUrRiEr

Re: And slept.

Postby SkUrRiEr » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:39 am UTC

slinches wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:At least her voice is back to full size. I think she'll be slow but isn't anywhere near collapse yet.

Yeah, you're probably right. It just seems that there's been a lot of foreboding signs in the last few newpix: the startling squirpy, "not great", and now more raptorcats. Hopefully, this is all just lead up to some good news.

dumb Prediction: there is a deeper meaning to the comic and it will be revealed before [heresy]the end of time[/heresy]

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:42 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
mscha wrote:What the Randall is Cuegan up to now?

Oig. That image did not mesh well with the Haydn symphony that happened to be playing when I first saw it. (Yappo's right; jazz would work better.)

NOTE: this image is not meant to be used for masturbatory purposes.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:44 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
mscha wrote:What the Randall is Cuegan up to now?

Oig. That image did not mesh well with the Haydn symphony that happened to be playing when I first saw it. (Yappo's right; jazz would work better.)

NOTE: this image is not meant to be used for masturbatory purposes.

Where do you think the seabig, if you know what I mean comes from?

ETRemove wayward quote

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:50 am UTC

My family back in Colorado has 2 pug-wolpies. One of them is Zuzu, the other shares its name with that of Image's uncle's wolpy, namely, Cricket. Though I'm more prone to call it The Creature.

They are adorable.

I also used to have a Mouse-molpy named Ralph Jingles (a double literary illusion) and a Beta-fish-molpy named Gilbert.

ETA: Oh! And jjj: feel free to graph me too! :)
Last edited by kenmelken on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

BlitzGirl

Thong thong-thong thong thong

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:52 am UTC

Hehe, pugs are funny little creatures. Did your Ralph ride a motorcycle, by any chance? :D

Eternal Density wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:

This is where I need a thong emoticon but I don't really want to google for that.

Here, I'll save you the potential brainscarring and make one: Image

Redundant spoiler:
Spoiler:

SmileyThong.gif
SmileyThong.gif (1.77 KiB) Viewed 12665 times

redundant2.png
redundant2.png (127.9 KiB) Viewed 12665 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:53 am UTC

@Image: No. I tried to get him to, though. :P Anyone know the other allusion?

StormAngel

Meet the Molpies

Postby StormAngel » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:56 am UTC

I'd like to have a pet Molpynguinja* (imported from Madagascar, of course) but I haven't figured out where I'd keep it how I'd stop it from escaping.

Eternal Density wrote:Being right handed made it easy for me to remember I write with my right.

Being left handed made it easy for me since I can never remember where I left my pen :D

Graph me in for the counting too, if its not too much trouble.
My posting has dropped off significantly, though I'm not exactly sure what it signifies...

*Molpy Penguin Ninja
Last edited by StormAngel on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

Arky

Postby Arky » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:58 am UTC

I just hope we don't get to the top of the mountain and discover this is an Order Of The Stick crossover.

Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:00 am UTC

Just walkONG on:

Eternal Density

The sky cave was collapsing back into a beach pile!

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:01 am UTC

Looks more like they're walking OFF :P

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:02 am UTC

Arky wrote:I just hope we don't get to the top of the mountain and discover this is an Order Of The Stick crossover.

Spoiler:

This one?
Spoiler:
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

Eternal Density

Splash! Niclep landed in the water.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:06 am UTC

Arky wrote:I just hope we don't get to the top of the mountain and discover this is an Order Of The Stick crossover.

I'm amused that an OOTS crossover consists of a Stargate and Mario reference :D

Swein

Postby Swein » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:10 am UTC

[prediction]What waits for them at the mountaintop...
Spoiler:

[/prediction]
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

Exodies

Read John Barth

Postby Exodies » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:19 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:As for the yip 1970, I recognize by title only about ten movies on this list.

Ooh thanks for this list, I see they made a film of "The End of The Road", based on a wonderful book by one of my favourite authors, John Barth.
It's about a man suffering from ontological insecurity.
The writing is sublime "What the hell, Jake, the more sophisticated your ethics get, the stronger you have to be to stay afloat. And when you say good-by to objective values, you really have to flex your muscles and keep your eyes open, because you're on your own. It takes energy: not just personal energy, but cultural energy, or you're lost. Energy's what makes the difference between American pragmatism and French existentialism - where the hell else but in America could you have a cheerful nihilism, for god's sake?".

If anyone's open to suggestions, I recommend his book "The Sot Weed Factor", an extraordinary piece of work.

The Tread is like having your own research department.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:21 am UTC

Okay... finally taking time to respond to the jjjdavidson survey! I've intentionally not read any of the formerly submitted lists so that I'm not biased. Didn't even look at the original one by triple-j himself.

Spoiler:
WOW/Neat frames:
1. 103 "The Fall of Man" (The frame that told me deep down I'd always be following this thing)
2. 382 When I first saw the recursion and how awesome it was.
3. 1073 "That's what the first part of understanding everything looks like." My absolute favorite frame thus far.
4. 1933 The Wowterfall
5. 2115 Megan's "You could spend a thousand lifetimes" flutterbee speech

Cliffhangers:
1. 799 Appearance of LaPetite. This felt like a huge "What's going to happen?" moment to me, that was never resolved, and still looms over my head as a huge cliffhanger. (Related to second-to-last frame of the fade, where we see her dragging things.)
2. 1738 When Cue looks the snake right in the face, and all the OTTers knew that's what was happening, as we'd been following the Molpy the whole time.
3. 2228 When the meowlpy is in midair right at Cue's face. This was the most exciting frame of the entire comic. The action is beautiful and terrifying at the same time. I have never been more anxious to see the next frame than during those 60 minutesH.

ETA: Happy 200th to both flotter and slinches!

Eternal Density

Niclep didn't like what the sea had done.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:37 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:As for the yip 1970, I recognize by title only about ten movies on this list.

Ooh thanks for this list, I see they made a film of "The End of The Road", based on a wonderful book by one of my favourite authors, John Barth.
It's about a man suffering from ontological insecurity.
The writing is sublime "What the hell, Jake, the more sophisticated your ethics get, the stronger you have to be to stay afloat. And when you say good-by to objective values, you really have to flex your muscles and keep your eyes open, because you're on your own. It takes energy: not just personal energy, but cultural energy, or you're lost. Energy's what makes the difference between American pragmatism and French existentialism - where the hell else but in America could you have a cheerful nihilism, for god's sake?".

If anyone's open to suggestions, I recommend his book "The Sot Weed Factor", an extraordinary piece of work.

The Tread is like having your own research department.
Reminds me of some C.S. Lewis I read todix or yesterdix: paraphrasing, the only person capable of making themself good would be a person who doesn't need to be made good.

Arky

Re: Splash! Niclep landed in the water.

Postby Arky » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:42 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:

When OOTS and XKCD are both involved, we wouldn't have it any other way. It could only be more true-to-form if there was a Firefly reference too.

Arky

Postby Arky » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:50 am UTC

Like kenmelken, responding to jjjdavidson's survey without looking at anyone else's lists:

WOW! frames:
First appearance of La Petite (Oh me yarm a new character!)
Molpycat jumps into Cueball's face (an event more serious than any previously seen in Time)
Dialogue reference to Megan thinking nobody had seen her and Cueball (the first intriguing bit of backstory)
The original great zooming (the first step into a wider universe)
Megan's tiny trebuchet (unlike any frame before or since)

Cliffhangers:
The Fading
The Fake Loop early in the Journey Eon
The Molpycat on Cueball's back with Megan casting around for a weapon

Eternal Density

Niclep looked around for his two-legged friend.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:51 am UTC

Arky wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

Spoiler:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/2f3jCUO.png[/img
]

When OOTS and XKCD are both involved, we wouldn't have it any other way. It could only be more true-to-form if there was a Firefly reference too.
Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”