1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:09 am UTC

SkUrRiEr wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Wait - so foilman, edfel, and NoMouse share the November 7th birthday?

It's not one baby - it's triplets! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Do I need to quote the probability of two people in a group of 20 sharing a birthday? We have many more people than here, even including potential Randallettes.

That was supposed to be a nod to the birthday paradox discussion, which happened upthread almost 400 newpages ago. :wink:
Apologies for letting my old-Timer-ness show. Image

Edit: Huh, somehow became retro-Mome of this newpage. More firstposts approved? Or else my memory must be going.
At any rate, carry on, youngsters. And hello to any newcomers who might be out and about roaming the OTT's lawn after curfew!
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:14 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:Mountain Time: a story of increasing hysteria

Spoiler:
slinches wrote:PredictiONG: Cueball slips and falls in the stream and disappears, never to be found.
ETA: Because the stream they just found is really the Bolton Strid. shamelessly stolen from speculation on NP811
Ugh, makes my stomach turn over just thinking about it. The geology behind Bolton Strid is really 8-) though.

slinches wrote:My previous ONG prediction was wrONG!!
So far, anyway.
So far, exactly. Because look what he's going to do next!

mscha wrote:AwwwwONG, such a gentleman...
Well, yes, a gentleman, except that we don't know how deep the stream is, so for all we know he could step in and disappear forever, leaving Megan to find her way alone to the possibly deserted structure at the top of the mountain, naked (okay, so she always was, but still) and (relatively) defenseless!
So after this courteous (and potentially fatally stupid) offer, what does Megan do?

spamjam wrote:HA!ONG
She leaps over the (probably so deep that it connects to another dimension) stream to land, with her bad leg, in the mossy, grassy, steep, and above all slippery opposite bank!

AluisioASG wrote:JUMPONG
Does she nail the landing? Will she slip and fall forward, getting incredibly muddy and kicking Cueball in the face? Does she overbalance and fall back, into the Strid, to disappear beneath its dark and silent waters, leaving Cue to make his way alone to the deserted structure on top of the mountain, naked (okay, so he always was, but where do stick figures keep their privates, anyway?) and defenseless, vulnerable to any and all molpy/raptor/rickroll attacks we can imagine?

(Taking a deep breath) We, my friends, are addicted to a soap opera.

Magnificent. Bravo
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

SkUrRiEr

Postby SkUrRiEr » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:15 am UTC

Finally ketchupped!

On the subject of the astronomy ... you xuys have put in some excellent work. I'm just skimming along and I'm amazed at the effort, knowledge and skill put into figuring out a location from stars in a webcomic. =) Excellent work all!

My personal theory is that it is a real star field with a real location in mind for the next XKCD meetup. Which, therefore, must put it somewhere within the confines of the lower 48 states of the USA. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that we have the direction we're facing wrong, if only by a few degrees. As for the mustard and "moved" / "missing" stars, I'm guessing GLR has punched a location into some starfield simulator and is sketching the results, hence them being slightly out.

Prediction: Meowmolpy will return in: From Meowmolpy raptorcat with love pouncing!
Spoiler:
Goldmeomolpy raptorcat
Thundercat Raptorball Raptorcat
Raptorcat Only Lives Pounces Twice
On Raptorcat's Secret Service
Diamonds are for Raptorcat Raptorcats are for Pouncing
Live and let Raptorcat Pounce
The Man with the Golden Raptorcat
The Raptorcat Who Loved Pounced Me
For Raptorcat's Eyes Only
Octoraptorcat

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:16 am UTC

azule wrote:I swore. At Megan....*looks around* She shouldn't have done that. She got hurt more, just to be "brave" or whatever. Silly girls, trick jumps are for stupid boys. *runs away*

Kieryn wrote:Don't worry... it's nigh impossible to contribute anything original on this thread anymore. The originality comes from saying the same thing again now the context has changed.
That's pretty much true everywhere, in life. Now, technically we might have created some new words, but maybe not new concepts. I hope we have, though. But, a new implementation, a new shared idea, and new connection with another person, that's all that matters when "contributing".

Drink your way to CRS then everything's new.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:26 am UTC

SkUrRiEr wrote:My personal theory is that it is a real star field with a real location in mind for the next XKCD meetup. Which, therefore, must put it somewhere within the confines of the lower 48 states of the USA. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that we have the direction we're facing wrong, if only by a few degrees. As for the mustard and "moved" / "missing" stars, I'm guessing GLR has punched a location into some starfield simulator and is sketching the results, hence them being slightly out.

Ooh, interesting theory. I do hope the next meetup's not 13000 years in the future.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:28 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Also, I'm not ignoring all the people who are asking for charts of their personal posting history... I'm going to have to go back through about 40NP looking for requests, because I foolishly haven't been taking notes as I read. But I'll do my best to get to all of you soon─even the 4-poster who piped up!

I'll ask here if that is OK, but did you get my PM about that? Also, I forgot to ask about my posting history, as well.

Yes, to both. Sorry I missed your query my first pass down the page.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:32 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:PickONG
Spoiler:

The Pope wants:
  1. An appropriate papal smiley (i.e. a dragon, uh, pope, if at all possible)
  2. Someone able to decipher his signature
  3. Mathematical, physical or philosophical discussions about Megan's jump or injury (including equations)

<snip>

Sorry I'm late, your Popeness; my grandma ate my first post.

[3] we've been treating Gancue as stick figures but Megan's injury shows this to be a mistake. If your legs were 2d sticks you couldn't fall on something and suffer a gash. Just as I look nothing like my passport photo (or avatar) so Gancue and Lepetite aren't really stickmen; Grandall just draws them that way.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:58 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Time for a suitable song...

"Stars"
Ottification of the song of the same name from Les Misérables.
Spoiler:
There, out in the darkness
Cuegan are resting
Near a neat tree
On a mountainside
On their great journey
They never shall yield
Till they get to the top
Till they get to the top

They know their way in the dark
To learn and discover some more
And those who follow the path to the summit
Shall have their reward
And if a raptorcat should attack
The stick,
The claws!

Stars
In your multitudes
Scarce to be counted
Filling the newpix
With order and light
You are the sentinels
Silent and sure
Keeping watch in the night
Keeping watch in the night

You know your place in the sky
You hold your course and your aim
And each in your season
Returns and returns
And is always the same
And if a raptorcat should attack
They'll fight back again

And so it must be, for Randall has written
That their journey must carry on
And we will see what comes if we wait
For the next ONG

Randall please guide them
That we may see them
Safe to the top
I will wait for it
Till then
This I swear
This I swear by the stars

I'm sorry newpixbot.. I think I found someone new. I might have to ask yappo to marry me. :oops:

Thanks :P Oddly enough, not the first marriage proposal I've received here (marchlight also did so back here :P)
marchlight wrote:<snip> Finally opened it this morning and immediately wanted to marry you. I adore your voice. Thanks for that.

...will there be a battle for my affections now? O_o
BlitzGirl wrote:
SkUrRiEr wrote:My personal theory is that it is a real star field with a real location in mind for the next XKCD meetup. Which, therefore, must put it somewhere within the confines of the lower 48 states of the USA. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that we have the direction we're facing wrong, if only by a few degrees. As for the mustard and "moved" / "missing" stars, I'm guessing GLR has punched a location into some starfield simulator and is sketching the results, hence them being slightly out.

Ooh, interesting theory. I do hope the next meetup's not 13000 years in the future.

We can always cryogenically freeze ourselves til then I suppose!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:02 am UTC

see the cONGstellations
just a guy made of dotsan oval and lines
If Randall has put Time in the distant future, the name is appropriate. (We'll wait for it a long time.) My guess would be that he was looking at an online starmap and had a cat-on-leopardkeyboard incident that inspired the comic. g'night all!
Last edited by edo on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:05 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

MattTheTubaGuy

Postby MattTheTubaGuy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:02 am UTC

edo wrote:
MattTheTubaGuy wrote:Well I did some calculations on two stars that have moved quite a bit.
Spoiler:

η Ser and ε Sco, the first one, I marked twice, not realising it was a star that had moved.
Using their proper motion, and their approximate distance in the sky (measured using Stellarium), I got 14,300 years for η Ser, and 12,900 for ε Sco, both in the future, which would be consistent with Antares going supernova, and is now only very faint. :D

If your right, we're going to have fun getting a latitude, or even a date(not that that matters anymore): procession - 1 degree every 70 years. IF spring equinox has progressed ~200 degrees, is it still on March 21st?

I'm getting a solar position of 14h 55m. Assuming we are still in the Age of Aquarius,putting the date at Nov 8th (w error of about a day)

other useful details:
I measure 7.9845 pixels/degree
the stars moved 190.55970193 pixels in 15 newpix (sqrt(36313)pixels)
there are 6.36 minutes of Time between Newpices

I have done some more calculations, and these are my results:
Pixels per degree = 7.777
Approximate distance between Venus (I'm fairly sure that new "star" is Venus) and the Sun = 46.5 degrees
using the known location of Venus, it is possible to work out approximately where the Sun is, and hence the time of the year approximately 13000 years in the future, which is around May. :)
I am currently flicking through year by year on Stellarium, and currently my best fit is May 7th 14960.
With careful measurements of the stars that have moved the most (to get the right cycle), and also the exact position of Venus, it should be possible to get a time, and possibly a location! (assuming Earth's rotation remains constant. In reality, Earth time would have shifted by about 6 days backwards!)
Planet locations 13000 years in the future also might not very accurate, so who knows. :?

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:37 am UTC

I love all the speculation and calculation going on. It's totally not my area, so I'll leave it to more knowledgeable among us, but in the mean time here's your othercomic reminder.

Maybe cuegan are in this mirrorverse -would that æffect the northern/southern hemisphere issue?

Just one thing before I coma, if quoting (neat) diagrams, please use spoilers! The last few newpages have been filling up with multiple repeated images.
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:48 am UTC

HES wrote:I love all the speculation and calculation going on. It's totally not my area, so I'll leave it to more knowledgeable among us, but in the mean time here's your othercomic reminder.

Maybe cuegan are in this mirrorverse -would that æffect the northern/southern hemisphere issue?

Just one thing before I coma, if quoting (neat) diagrams, please use spoilers! The last few newpages have been filling up with multiple repeated images.

Hmm. GLR posts an othercomic about astronomers looking at other stars at the same time the OTC gets a starry sky with future-constellations. Coincidence? I think not!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:54 am UTC

Aha! It is Earth! And has been all along!

not that that really settles anything...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:00 am UTC

SAGITTARIONG

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:03 am UTC

Looks like the stars are making Cueball feel small. He looked up at them, then hugged his legs.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:28 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Aha! It is Earth! And has been all along!

Back to front though. That probably explains all those problems with hemispheres and the direction in which the sun set :D
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:33 am UTC

This 14'000-years-in-the-future-thingie would ruin almost all other sources. The hedgemolpies, molpyrels, raptorcats... the sea³, the baobabs... given this time frame even this kind of trees may grow as well in NYC. Or at least at the place where NYC was, by then about 1350 years ago. Given this time frame we may as well err on the basic assumption of the planet in question (which would render the 14'000-years-in-the-future-thingie highly questionable, as well, of course, which brings the whole thing down, and the whole line of argument into a Russell-formed pile of recursive dust.

Very BSGish.

Let's enjoy the night.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

MattTheTubaGuy

Postby MattTheTubaGuy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:48 am UTC

Well I have dome some more calculating and come up with 23/4/13996
The good thing is that this can be confirmed in a few more newpix when Mars should appear. :D
The reason is Venus and the Sun are a certain distance apart in the sky AND in that particular location approximately every 8 years. It is a few hours off, so the Sun gradually moves with the cycle. This particular cycle has the Sun in the right place and also no other planets or the Moon in view so far.
Also, because the seasons cycle around with the precession, it would be roughly equivalent to 8th November, or late Autumn in the northern hemisphere even though it is late April
Last edited by MattTheTubaGuy on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:55 am UTC

I'm eager to see if that proves correct :D

Anyway, off to coma. I'm leaving for a short 3-day vacation tomorrow morning, so I'll have some ketchup to do when I get back. I think that'll be the longest period of time in which I don't follow Time since I started Waiting :shock:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:59 am UTC

I'm still not sure I buy this whole far-far-in-the-future thing... they have language and concepts too similar to the modern day, like sandcastles and words like "neat"... I've always been open to the idea that it could be post-apocalyptic, but not THAT far in the future. That far in the future I would've expected entirely new civilisations to develop, ones entirely alien to our own. It just doesn't add up for me like so many other things about the OTC, which I guess is what keeps it so interesting and keeps us waiting for it...

MattTheTubaGuy

Postby MattTheTubaGuy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:05 am UTC

Also here is 2407 with constellations marked:

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:07 am UTC

SCUTUMONG
ETCONG
Last edited by spamjam on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:09 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I'm still not sure I buy this whole far-far-in-the-future thing... they have language and concepts too similar to the modern day, like sandcastles and words like "neat"... I've always been open to the idea that it could be post-apocalyptic, but not THAT far in the future. That far in the future I would've expected entirely new civilisations to develop, ones entirely alien to our own. It just doesn't add up for me

You might want to watch Battlestar Galactica (yes, the new one).

MattTheTubaGuy wrote:Well I have dome some more calculating and come up with 23/4/13996

I imagine, however, GLR sitting somewhere in a beautiful park, a Notebook on his lap, and bubble over with laughter.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:14 am UTC

Sorta ketchup at last... though I confess to skipping about 10NP earlier, otherwise I'd never get to the present given my current outside obligations.

Has anyone tried a (light-enhanced) animation of M&C's movements through the night-so-far? Waaay beyond my graphics abilities, so just flinging the thought out there.

Also awesome astronomy, everyone!
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:30 am UTC

Wait, that's not the Southern Cross?

paha arkkitehti

Postby paha arkkitehti » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:33 am UTC

I've been a timelurker ever since the beginning (though I've probably missed more than a few newpages), but decided to sign in now that things are getting interesting again (with all the action and astronomical speculation).

I wanted to ask if anyone has done any calculations if the polar location matches the estimation of things happening 14000 years in the future. AFAIK the current estimate is based on the "true" movement of certain stars, not the relative moment caused by precession. There should be enough rotation visible that it should be possible to estimate where the axis is pointing.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:42 am UTC

spamjam wrote:SCUTUMONG
Spoiler:

Poor Cueball. Image

(Apparently I can handle him being mauled by a raptorcat, but lonely spans under the vast sky are just too much.)
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Lukeonia1

Postby Lukeonia1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:44 am UTC

So, after ketching up for the last 15 newpages, I suppose it's too late to mention that I've been getting a far-future vibe from the OTC for a long time now. Cuegan's ignorance about the world, what we've heard about their society ("the people in the hills"), their curiosity and lack of superstition, all leads me to think they are in a distant future world. The baobabs could have been planted somewhere, there has certainly been enough Time for them to grow.

Now, far be it from me to make any heretical "predictions", but I will speculate:
Spoiler:
I bet the structure on top of the mountain is an observatory.

Its condition and whether they'll find anyone there remains to be seen.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:47 am UTC

Never too late to mention it. :wink:

We love our speculations around here, no matter what Time they come from or concern.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:50 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:I'm still not sure I buy this whole far-far-in-the-future thing... they have language and concepts too similar to the modern day, like sandcastles and words like "neat"... I've always been open to the idea that it could be post-apocalyptic, but not THAT far in the future. That far in the future I would've expected entirely new civilisations to develop, ones entirely alien to our own. It just doesn't add up for me

You might want to watch Battlestar Galactica (yes, the new one).

Hmm, I'm sure I'd enjoy watching it, but for now perhaps you could explain? I don't mind spoilers all that much...

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:03 am UTC

Time for another ONG:

Is it me or are the stars getting fainter?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:06 am UTC

Hunted down some firstposts once I saw that I had been retro-Mome'd. Actually, two firstposts and one secondpost, all the way back on newpages 949 and 950:

CFS wrote:Sagittarius is also the exact direction of the center of our galaxy.

CFS wrote:Also, the planet is most likely Venus, considering its proximity to the sun.

Welcome, CFS! Always good to have more starsy knowledge, particularly just when the OTC fills up with stars. :)

rjs wrote:Not going to do an ottifiction, ottification or try to identify star fields but thought I should at least drop in and say hi, since I've been keeping up with the OTC here and browsing/skimming/skipping/perusing the OTT through the reign of many popes, mopes and other hatted folk.

I think it was the reference to The Headless Chickens that forced me to make the leap from Lurker, after 950 pages. This thread really is heading toward having every pop culture reference. mscha hasn't been trying to cram the missing references in for a while now, perhaps we have them all?

Anyway, hi, keep up the good efforts!

Hi rjs! Nice to see you! We get to meet more and more of our lurkfolk as Time (and the OTT) goes on. :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:14 am UTC

I predict the sighting of a shooting* star before the next dialogue.

*Or falling ... language is ugly.

Swein

Postby Swein » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:16 am UTC

Soo, what is waiting them at the mountaintop then...?
Spoiler:
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:18 am UTC

Another Sea? It's worse than I thought! :P

higgs-boson wrote:I predict the sighting of a shooting* star before the next dialogue.

*Or falling ... language is ugly.

*Or meteor.

I don't think the stars are getting fainter, though I might be wrong. The bright Milky Way is rotating so that we see less of it.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:19 am UTC

Aaaaah... to add to the "ALL IS CONNECTED" pile: Look at today's day-by-day:
Spoiler:

Ace

Postby Ace » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:26 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:Wait, that's not the Southern Cross?

Where? I can see some vaguely similar constellations, but they seem to be pointing the wrong way, or missing the little star.

When Southern Cross is the only constellation you know, everything kind of looks like it. (Speaking entirely for myself there, I'm no astronomer.)
Wait for it.

paha arkkitehti

Postby paha arkkitehti » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:36 am UTC

Well, my previous question hasn't passed the moderatorial gauntlet yet, but with a little magic with autocad I managed to plot the "celestial axis" at somewhere around 39 degrees up from the bottom. I couldn't exactly match the One True Sky to available star charts, but it seems indeed that there has been some tilting going on, giving credit to the theory of far future.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:37 am UTC

Oi Gavalt. That was a very long ketchup. Very awesome and enlightening (and sometimes confusing, because I totally read the 12 NPs out of order, skipping back and forth). The astronomy stuff is AWESOME work, everyone! Admittedly, though, I'm really overwhelmed even thinking about making the discussion summary for this period on the wiki! Help from you astronomy buffs in that regard would be appreciated. :)

So, I don't have much to respond to this go-around, but did want to respond to this:

Swein wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Enchilada. Taco. Por favor.

FINALLY CAUGHT UP!

At your service.
Spoiler:

kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:
Oh.. and I couldn't not respond to this:
Arky wrote:It can't be very cold where they are, as they don't appear to have sleeping bags and they've never bothered building a fire that we've seen.

Wiki Warrior to the rescue! They actually did build a fire during the first River Period (not gonna lie--that is one article on the Wiki I've not had time to retroactively update and it is currently just a stub). The fire is first seen in frame 1048, and for several frames they warm their hands over it while they converse. Later, Cueball appears to extinguish it in frame 1059 and appears to bury the ashes between frames 1061-1064 (this is the same sequence sometimes interpreted as a show of outdoor toiletry, but I think it is actually very clear he's burying ashes here, especially since it is at the exact same spot as their little campfire was, and burying ashes seems logical since they've shown wariness of other people in other conversations and may be trying to hide any signs of their trail). Interestingly, pelrigg was the only one who caught on to the presence of the fire back when it first appeared, and nobody (except a brief response from Valarya) really paid attention to him.

snip...

ETA One more reason I believe it's clear he's burying ashes in that sequence: There is a very clear pile of ashes there before he digs the hole, and then the ground is flat again afterwards. The ashes went SOMEWHERE, conveniently during the time he had a hole in the ground.

I don't agree here. My interpretation was that it is food they had between them in 1048 and forward, not a fire, and that it was the rests from the meal he was burying. And after re-analyzing the event I stand firm in my belief!

First, thanks for the enchiladas. :)
Next, regarding the fire vs. food discussion: if it is merely food on the ground, why do they warm their hands over it, and why do the pixels in that spot still flicker a bit even after Cue and Megan step away to the Riverside in frames 1052 and 1053 (check it with the frame comparison tool on Geekwagon)? It seems to barely still flicker a bit after they move, then is merely embers after that and is stationary. It is admittedly a small fire, which seems to have been their purpose anyway, especially since burying the ashes demonstrates that they didn't want the fire to attract attention.

--------

Now, I must go a-coma again, but I have something special for you all: a new Les Mis ottifiparotimeodyfilk! Now, go easy on me, as this is only my second song here (the other being my short "Wonderful thing about Molpies," so this is my first attempt at something actually substantial). My philosophy here was, the less one has to change the better, so I tried to make subtle contextual changes that redirected other unaltered pieces of the source text. Anyway, the following is a crazy mess, but so is the OTT and OTC, so that's kinda what I was trying to capture anyway. Behold...

One Pix More
based on "One Day More" from Les Miserables
Note: because there are so many shifting characters and overlapping pieces in this one, I've also included in parenthesis which original characters from the play correspond to the given lyrics. Here is a link to the original lyrics, divided in exactly the same way as these are here.
Spoiler:
MSCHA (Valjean)
One pix more!
Another pix, another destiny.
Their never-ending quest to solve the Sea;
The Raptor-cat, strong and sublime,
Will surely come a second time.
One pix more!

CUEBALL (Marius)
I’m glad we both survived today.
How could I live if you’d not thwapped it?

CHRONOSDRAGON (Valjean)
One pix more.

CUEBALL & MEGAN (Marius & Cosette)
Tomorrow we could reach the top
(And then the Wiki will recap it).

LA PETITE (Eponine)
One more day all on my own.

Will there be folks at the top?

LA PETITE (Eponine)
One more day by the Sandcastle.

I was drawn to be with you.

LA PETITE (Eponine)
What my life's like: they don't know!

And I swear I’ll protect you!

LA PETITE (Eponine)
'Cuz they never saw me here!

Epic violins and key change!

BLUECRAB (Enjolras)
Three full pages full of math!

HAL9000 (Marius)
Better than those dumb decrees!

JJJDAVIDSON (Enjolras)
How do we get so off-topic?

JOVIALBARD (Marius)
Choose an empire, not a pope!

STRATPLAYER (Enjolras)
See the filks begin to form

HES (Marius)
Do I coma? Do I dare?

UCIM (Enjolras)
Will you wait for it with me?

ALL
The time is now, the ONG is here!

K.BOOKBINDER (Valjean)
One pix more!

RAZOR AGENT LMJB1964 (Javert)
One more pix to hunt down zombies,
We will nip them in the bud!
We will relocate the raptors,
They won’t feast upon our blood!

VALARYA (Valjean)
Cupcakes more!

BLITZGIRL & TAIXZO (Thenardiers)
Watch 'em as they lurk,
Posting from the past,
Give ‘em all a cheer
When they catch up at last!
Never do we skip,
Everything we touch
We are the true Blitzers
So we don’t miss much!

2 Groups: RANDALLVERSISTS & AFRICANISTS
1: This pic proves it’s all a fiction!

2: Too specific snakes and trees!

1: Baobabs and squirrels don’t match

2: Don’t forget the leopard cat!

1: There's a new world called Cassini

2: It’s our SAME world—Africa!

ALL
Do you hear the Yappo sing?

KENMELKEN (Marius)
My place is here, I wait with you!

BUFFYGIRL (Valjean)
One hat more!

Epic finale key change and overlapping reprises/variations of the earlier sections:

CUEGAN (Marius & Cosette)
I’m glad that we survived today.

LA PETITE (Eponine)
One more day all on my own!

CUEBALL (Marius)
How could I live if you’d not thwapped it?

ETERNAL DENSITY (Javert)
Cue & Megan are our heroes
We will follow where they go
We will learn their little Secrets,
We will know the things they know.

RULE110 (Valjean)
One pix more!

Tomorrow we could reach the top

LA PETITE (Eponine)
What my life's like--they don't know!

PATZER (Marius & Cosette)
And then the Wiki will recap it!

RAZOR AGENT LMJB1964 (Javert)
One more pix to hunt down zombies,
We will nip them in the bud!
We will relocate the raptors!

BLITZGIRL & TAIXZO (Thenardiers)
Watch 'em as they lurk,
Posting from the past,
Give ‘em all a cheer
When they catch up at last!

KIERYN (Valjean)
Each newpix watch the OTC
Each newpix write the OTT

ALL
Each newpix we'll discover
What the one true author has in store!
One more frame
One more pix
Oooooone piiiiiiiix mooooooooooooore!

Link to youtube of original.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:43 am UTC

Wow, epic and awesomeful stuff, kenmelken! Ever since the Les Mis ottifications started I was hoping that one would eventually be done, it's such an ambitious one to try and filk, and you did a fantastic job! :D Although I must admit I was disappointed I didn't get a line and only got a mention, since it's my favourite song from the musical :oops:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”