1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

eta oin shrdlu

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby eta oin shrdlu » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

MattTheTubaGuy wrote:Well I have dome some more calculating and come up with 23/4/13996
The good thing is that this can be confirmed in a few more newpix when Mars should appear. :D
The reason is Venus and the Sun are a certain distance apart in the sky AND in that particular location approximately every 8 years. It is a few hours off, so the Sun gradually moves with the cycle. This particular cycle has the Sun in the right place and also no other planets or the Moon in view so far.
Also, because the seasons cycle around with the precession, it would be roughly equivalent to 8th November, or late Autumn in the northern hemisphere even though it is late April

One piece of information that hasn't been used (as far as I have seen) is comparison of the stars with the solar latitude. The sun's track across the sky is basically a line of constant declination, but this declination will change with the season and with precession. Here's the sun's track (38.5° from vertical, in the images) overlaid on one of the star images:
Spoiler:
sun-path-overlay.png

For dates ~15000AD this looks like a declination of about +10° (changing slightly with precession). Your 14960/05/07 has the sun at +17°, and 13996/04/23 has it at +13°; both are a little large. 13291/04/14 has it at 9° 46' which is pretty close to what I see. (On that date Jupiter is high in the sky and would be appearing in a few frames.)

I think we should also see Fomalhaut in the lower left soon, and Altair might make an appearance in the upper right as well; these have high proper motions as well.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
Spoiler:
Not that anyone's noticed, but I've been away for a while. I've suffered a bit of an upheaval in my life: to keep it short and sweet, two weeks ago, I got laid off from my job after 24 years with the same company, and so I have been spending all of my time working on what's next. I'm not going to go into any details here since I'm still not over the emotional impact, but suffice it to say that retirement is not an option with two kids in college and one in high school, so my time is occupied with finding another position as soon as possible.

I've temporarily emerged from my self-imposed exile to say a couple of things:
  • I'm sorry to see that Charlie Grumbles left the forum so unceremoniously for such a silly thing. I'm sure it was important to him at the time, but I hope he has a change of heart. Everyone in this community wants a hatted avatar. Everyone wants a personalized smiley. Everyone would like to be immortalized in a filk/parody. I certainly would. However, as I've been reminded this month, there are more important things in life to worry about than getting the ONG or being pope. The fact is, there is a certain core group of people that keep this community going; you can tell who they are, not just by the number of posts they make, but by the complexity, substance, and artistry of the contributions they make beyond the simple one-line comments that add to post counts. If they are the one who appear in all of the present presents, I will have absolutely no problem with it, because without them, the OTT would be a lot more ordinary.
  • Speaking of complexity, substance, and artistry: I couldn't stay silent on this. kenmelken, this was simply amazing. Thank you for this. It made my day.
    kenmelken wrote:One Pix More
    based on "One Day More" from Les Miserables
  • I haven't been posting here since I've been spending my time on more critical things, but I've been trying to keep up with reading the forum. The scientist in me has wanted to jump into the astronomy discussions, but I simply haven't had the time. (Plus, I'd fallen far behind, and didn't want to blindpost.) Thank you all very much for keeping me sane and grounded over the past couple of weeks. Please don't slow down...if you don't see me posting for a few weeks, know that I'll still be reading. I hope to be back to normal soon.

Search well friend of the OTT and return to us when the cycle of life finds you in greener pastures :)
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:Not that anyone's noticed, but I've been away for a while. I've suffered a bit of an upheaval in my life: to keep it short and sweet, two weeks ago, I got laid off from my job after 24 years with the same company, and so I have been spending all of my time working on what's next. I'm not going to go into any details here since I'm still not over the emotional impact, but suffice it to say that retirement is not an option with two kids in college and one in high school, so my time is occupied with finding another position as soon as possible.

• I'm sorry to see that Charlie Grumbles left the forum so unceremoniously for such a silly thing. I'm sure it was important to him at the time, but I hope he has a change of heart. Everyone in this community wants a hatted avatar. Everyone wants a personalized smiley. Everyone would like to be immortalized in a filk/parody. I certainly would. However, as I've been reminded this month, there are more important things in life to worry about than getting the ONG or being pope. The fact is, there is a certain core group of people that keep this community going; you can tell who they are, not just by the number of posts they make, but by the complexity, substance, and artistry of the contributions they make beyond the simple one-line comments that add to post counts. If they are the one who appear in all of the present presents, I will have absolutely no problem with it, because without them, the OTT would be a lot more ordinary.
  • Speaking of complexity, substance, and artistry: I couldn't stay silent on this. kenmelken, this was simply amazing. Thank you for this. It made my day.
  • I haven't been posting here since I've been spending my time on more critical things, but I've been trying to keep up with reading the forum. The scientist in me has wanted to jump into the astronomy discussions, but I simply haven't had the time. (Plus, I'd fallen far behind, and didn't want to blindpost.) Thank you all very much for keeping me sane and grounded over the past couple of weeks. Please don't slow down...if you don't see me posting for a few weeks, know that I'll still be reading. I hope to be back to normal soon.

Thank you for this moving post, and I wish you the best of luck with getting through these adverse circumstances. I hope very much that you will be back soon with some great news.
After today, I will also be sporadically available on the forum but I will continue to be reading, and now also sending good thoughts your way.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
Kieryn wrote:In case it was missed here's my amusing suggestion regarding Randall and mustard.

:)
She's great BTW, love that voice.

All astro-nitpicking aside...
When consulting the book of Aubron, switching from frame #1 to the current one, it's a startling contrast. Detail has subtly but constantly been increasing...
Spoiler:
We started from this very minimalistic image:

Then travled through a quite dull landscape...

followed by a slightly less dull landscape...

then it got richer and richer...
(click for zoomable panorama...)

filled with grass, bushes, wowtrees, molpies and a wowterfall...

to now THIS:

Wow. I expected it to be long. And it was. And I expected it to be big. It was. I just didn't expect it to be so NEAT.

Spoiler:
time1.png

pano_1_tn.png

pano_2_tn.png

pano_3_tn.png

wowterfall.gif

starrysky.gif

Definitely very very neat. It had not occurred to me until seeing all these collections that, yes, the detail of the world we are seeing has increased phenomenally. Thank you for putting these together in one post!

Ebonite wrote:Not that anyone's noticed, but I've been away for a while. I've suffered a bit of an upheaval in my life: to keep it short and sweet, two weeks ago, I got laid off from my job after 24 years with the same company, and so I have been spending all of my time working on what's next. I'm not going to go into any details here since I'm still not over the emotional impact, but suffice it to say that retirement is not an option with two kids in college and one in high school, so my time is occupied with finding another position as soon as possible.
Spoiler:

As we continue to plow forward in our actions, here in the OTT, I know we do not often comment about those who are suddenly not around (to use our cave/cocktail party analogies - we often don't notice who steps out). Certainly, though, I am glad that you stopped by to share your troubles with us. I do wish you the best of luck and hope that it will all work out. I think you know that, should you need some relief, if only a brief respite from the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, you know where we are (*queue Cheers theme song*).
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

edfel

Postby edfel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

Here's some thought that's been passing through my head for some time: don't you think that we can see too few stars, and too faint, for a clear night with no light pollution whatsoever? It was normal [I guess] when the sun had just set... but now the sky ought to be clearer, right?

[also: map update!]
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

It just hit me... sadly I still have the big project on my desk so I cant hunt back through the NP but I am listening to Sci-Friday on NPR and they are talking about the new planets found, and the star is just visible off the tail of Scorpio, wasn't the first stars we could see the tail of Scorpio?

Again sorry I couldn't look back in the NP to find the posts, I have to get back to this blasted project.

That is all - opi
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

Kay, I'm about a NP behind right now (beginning of 963) and can't finish my last bit of ketchup for a little while, but I needed to say a few things real quick:

First, THANKS SO MUCH TO ALL OF YOU FOR ALL THE LOVE Y'ALL BEEN SENDIN' MY WAY FOR "ONE PIX MORE!" I'm so glad y'all liked it so much. :) And I LOVED the little manip with BlitzGirl, Taixzo, and La Petite in their respective Les Mis replacement roles! (Oh, an listening to the original while you real, like Valarya did, is a fun way to do it. That's what I did as I was writing it!)

Second, shoutout to Marsh'n for keeping my mash-up word "ottificaparotimeodyfilk" alive! :P

Third, SO MUCH THANKS TO EDFEL FOR CREATING THE ASTRONOMY PAGE ON THE WIKI! YOU ROCK, MY FRIEND!

Fourth, like SBN, I prefer to write dates 28 June, 2013, but don't really care that much as long as I can understand what date you mean and you can understand what I mean.

Finally, This 14,000 years in the future thing doesn't sit well with me. Like Montov wrote, it just seems a bit weird/random. It doesn't make much sense to me at all to be so futuristic, just so we can claim a standard earth setting. I'd sooner support Randallversism than distant-future-on-earthism.

Anyway, the discussion is all still awesome, as are all of you. :) Keep it up!

P.S. Ebonite: hoping things work out for you and your family soon! Have seen my father go through similar and it can be really rough. Sending good vibes your way.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Here's some thought that's been passing through my head for some time: don't you think that we can see too few stars, and too faint, for a clear night with no light pollution whatsoever? It was normal [I guess] when the sun had just set... but now the sky ought to be clearer, right?

[also: map update!]

Not really... in real life yes, we would see more, but that's because real life has a much higher resolution of both dpi and brightness/gamma levels. In the black and white comic only 256 levels of brightness are possible, so the faintest stars are just not showing up in the frame.
Image- Kieryn

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

CAPRICONG

akacat

Postby akacat » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Actually, I've been meaning to submit moving the moon to geosynch orbit as a What-If? question. All sorts of fun results: The earth becomes more egg-shaped (earthquakes and lava), we get two permanent high tides (much flooding), one hemisphere's lovers have ten times the moonlight while the other hemisphere's lovers have no moon at all, most of the regular geosynch comsats fall out of orbit─and lunar eclipses become much more common (and much longer).

I for one would love to see this as a what-if.

yappobiscuits wrote:There's an MYQM now? Oh my :oops:

It makes me wonder though, what would a wedding ceremony be like in the Religion of the OTC?

Others have tackled this question quite well, I just have one thing to add:

Cake. Lots and lots of delicious cake.

Ebonite wrote:Not that anyone's noticed, but I've been away for a while. I've suffered a bit of an upheaval in my life: to keep it short and sweet, two weeks ago, I got laid off from my job after 24 years with the same company, and so I have been spending all of my time working on what's next.

Oh no! I hope things improve for you soon.

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

Karhell's letters to the Denizens of the OTT
Chapter 5, verses *getLatestVerse()+1* to *getLatestVerse()+n*

Not much of a wall of text this time, but still spoilered for good practices :wink:

===== Summary =====
Spoiler:
Cuegan continue walking (presumably along the River1). Terrain is getting gradually higher and less regular.
The OTT is back to ordinary levels of enjoyable madness.

1you know the drill...

===== Creativity =====
Spoiler:
Finally got round to listening to yappobiscuits' version of "We love the thread of time". No doubt there, it's an amazing job. Well done !

On NP 566, I encountered edfel's Map. Very good visual representation. (I was wondering what your avatar was about, too ^^)

Rule110 posted an interesting idea about what is causing the sea to rise
Rule110 wrote:FAKEONG...

===== Other travellers =====
Spoiler:
kryton keeps moving on ahead, collecting all leftovers he can find (and constantly needing a bigger cooler). At that pace, kryton, you'll soon need a fridge in a wheelbarrow ^^

===== Data Analysis =====
Spoiler:
On NP 569, Sciscitor posts his "constellations of Time"
Sciscitor wrote:Ok folks ... update on the quote tree graph (up to post 22300ish).
This time it's the full graph. And with full I mean FULL... all the 835 people who have quoted or have been quoted or both and all the 8757 quotes along with all the names, color coded average posting length, size coded posting count per user, width and color coded quote count and (at least for the main quoters) directional hints (also known as arrows)1.
I can append only a compressed minified thumb here (about 1.3 MB), the links go to the original sized 4096x4096 PNG (15.6 MB) and a SVG (4.1 MB) version. But beware, these images are not for the faint of heart or low on RAM.
I call them "The Constellations of Time". Enjoy.
1 No hamsters where harmed or injured in the creation of this visualization. It consits solely of naturally grown and recycled electrons and photons.

Blimey ! And I thought the original graph was impressive !

===== Random Funniness =====
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:Mix together GLR, computer geekery milestones, Big Brother, and crack cocaine and you'll probably end up with something like what's happening here in the OTT.

Needless to say (so I just had to, naturally), you nailed the OTT spirit perfectly

--karhell - logging out at the top of page 574 of 961
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

lotsofstars.png

I see lots of stars

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

Marsh'n wrote:
Eutychus wrote:Finally, to add to the music collection, can I suggest What a wonderful world? Or possibly Israel Kamakawiwoʻole's mashup of it with Somewhere over the rainbow?

Well, Eutychus, I hope this meets your expectations. My first commissioned OTTificaparotimeodyfilk. Original song link is above in quote. Spoilered because this is really really 1. Semi-canonical footnotes. I'd consider recording it but (a) I don't know where to get the music by itself (b) I would sound awful a capella and (c) Yappo is obviously the acclaimed songmaster here. Hint hint...

"Wowtreeful World"
Spoiler:
.... Oooo, oooo, oooo, oooo

Somewhere up on the mountain
Where they climb
Are the newpix you lONGed for
Once in the Thread of Time ...Time Oh

Somewhere nearer the big sea
Flutterbees fly
And the newpix you lONGed for
Nights really do come too ooo oooo

Tonix predix upon a star, keep
Hoping leopardmolp are far behind xe
Where rivers run and wowfall drops
High above the castle tops
That's where you'll find xe oh

Out there, just past the grapevines
Squirpy! "Hi!"
And the newpix you care for,
Oh why, oh why can't I?0 iiii

Well we see trees of wow7 and
Priklemolpies11 too
We watch and wait for Meg and for Cue
And we think to ourselves
What a Wowtreeful world

Well we see seas1 of black
And we see stars of white
And the brightness of day
We like the night
What a Wowtreeful world

The stars of the galaxy
So pretty in the sky
And all of the avatars of people Waiting by
See friends making hats saying
"How do you do?"
They're really sayin', "We, we love all you!"

We hear chickmolpy cry
And we watch it fed
There's so much more in GLRandall's head
What a Wowtreeful world

Oh, Stellarium upon the stars
Predicting where the Megball are, reminds me
Where flaming melts with "Molpy ups!"
And semencoffeesea in cups2
That's where you'll find me

Oh, somewhere up on the mountain
Way up high
And the Time that we Wait for
Why oh why can't I... iii

Ooooo,oooo,ooooo,ooooo,oooo,oooo......

0: Wait For It
1: big, rising
2: small, I hope
7: wow
11: a little prickly, really neat
GL: Good Lord!

Edit to reposition end-spoiler.

OK well awaiting the pros, here is my attempt in the stone-age recording conditions I have here. Please bear in mind the lousy equipment and the vertical learning curve for a) turning this into something uploadable for YouTube b) uploading it.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:
lotsofstars.png

I see lots of stars

Woah! Cueball just took a hit of Lysergic Acid Dithylamide!
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:Not that anyone's noticed, but I've been away for a while.

Dear Ebonite,

As a newbie here I have not had (hat?) the pleasure of knowing you before to miss you, but I am glad you have chimed in.
My own company has been rearranging the lives of many employees lately, so I'm very sympathetic and I sincerely wish you the best.
You have so well captured what makes this a special place, that my saying this is redundant: you have friends here. Drop in when you can, leave when you must, we will keep the faith here for your next return.

P.S. Same goes for you, charlie_grumbles, wherever/whenever you may be.

ETA to avoid double-post: OMR, Eutychus! I just heard it. You have honored me with your recording! Image
Last edited by Marsh'n on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

Hm. Seven pages behind, no time for ketchup, and I'll be without Internet for the next week. Should make for an interesting Blitz upon my return.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

A little more playing around in Stellarium.

I'm concurring that the positions of the stars and the direction that they rotate and the timing of them being just after sunset is definitely consistent with late April early May somewhere in the vicinity of the tropic of cancer or maybe a littler further north sometime 11500 years from now +/- 500 years.

However the position of the sun was a big inconsistency. It should have set much further to the left and it's arc should have been south of Venus's arc. (Yes it's still Venus).
Image- Kieryn

Lawsome

Postby Lawsome » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

I want to use this topic. Anyone care to give me a brief idea of the culture that has developed here?
Spoiler:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Rosewinsall wrote:DOWN WITH CERTAINTY!

Are you certain of that?

Moose Anus wrote:I let my wife think I'm watching porn in the bathroom late at night, but I'm really playing Dwarf Fortress instead.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

Lawsome wrote:I want to use this topic. Anyone care to give me a brief idea of the culture that has developed here?

sure!

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki

Let us know if you have questions, everything old is new again so we don't mind going round and round!

Lawsome

Postby Lawsome » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki

>Looks at wiki
>Sees all the pages

You people have certainly developed a lot of culture. 0_o
Spoiler:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Rosewinsall wrote:DOWN WITH CERTAINTY!

Are you certain of that?

Moose Anus wrote:I let my wife think I'm watching porn in the bathroom late at night, but I'm really playing Dwarf Fortress instead.

azule
Saved

Blind Spanish

Postby azule » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

Papal Image::

Thanks to all the blind otters. I still wonder what those things were. Here's my guesses.

wizpretz wrote:Describing something while blind: It has 4 skinny rod-like things coming out of a larger, square-shaped thing that a has another thicker rod coming out at a weird angle. The rods are hard but have a thin flexible covering that can be moved slightly. At the ends of the rods are a harder, immovable surface covering one side.
Spoiler:
Maybe it's a chair with four legs and a back.

Eternal Density wrote:Describing something while blind: mostly smooth and rounded plastic, small enough to fit in my hand, a small floppy bit on one end and three spikier less floppy bits sticking out the other end. When I squeeze it the right way it says "Preparing to dispense product", "Target acquired" or other such things.
Spoiler:
It's either a N64 controller with game on screen, or a freaky toy, or weird health product.

azule wrote:The object is long and thick. it has a tail. That tail is sytringy. The other end islike a missing toooth. And it is all cold and wet. Ick!!!!
Spoiler:
It was an ear of corn with the stock missing, unhusked.

Gracias por los Españols. I don't know the language much either, so I was actually looking for funny nonsense. I think I mightn't have been clear. Especially look at you, Ximenez. :P

Image wrote::D
Let's play BlitzGirl attempts to translate Spanish words into OTT-relevant text which probably will not even remotely resemble the intended meaning!
Spoiler:
Eternal Density wrote:mi perro está debajo de la mesa

My parrotraptor is debating a visit to that mountain.

lmjb1964 wrote:Ahora, tengo que comarT porque estoy cansada (pero no casada).

TYo coma, tu comas, ella coma, nosotros comamos, ellos coman

Ahoy, our pair has coma-tangoedT all the way to Canada!

TComa coma coma coma coma chamelemolpy.

Neil_Boekend wrote:Espere por ello.
El árbol es limpio.
El río es pequeño
El mar es grande y hace lo que quiere.
El árbol es grande y probablemente sabe lo que está haciendo.

Just popped in to say 'ello!
The tree is weird.
The River is small!
The Sea is big! and does whatever it wants.
The tree is big and probably knows what it's doing. Haciendo.

NoMouse wrote:Mi aerodeslizador está lleno de anguilas.

My sparrow-raptor is lonely and quite angular.

Ximenez wrote:El cadáver exquisito beberá el vino nuevo.
Me da vértigo escribir aquí en mi propio idioma, que es lo que hago en el Exterior para ganarme la vida.

The dead stick body resembles a new vinehalfq.
I get vertigo describing wowterfalls, though on the Exterior I'm living la vida loca.

kenmelken wrote:Enchilada. Taco. Por favor.

It's chilly up here, which is a distinct advantage in Cuegan's favor as it is likely to discourage raptorish activities and predation; however, this chill in the air is also a poor climate for them as they will suffer from the colder temperatures. But really, what do you expect from climbing a mountain, Cuegan? And something about a taco.
Well done. *thumbs*

mscha wrote:remember HAL's flame (Oh, I forgot, we don't flame in the OTT) about annoying, completely off-topic, papal decrees? Apparently, nobody else does... (These last few pages were really annoying to ketchup.)
Hah, sorry. I blindPoped those. I actually read HAL's post AFTER I posted. Or something. I guess I should have said post ontopix en Español.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

Lawsome wrote:

>Looks at wiki
>Sees all the pages

We've had a lot of time :wink: Don't feel the need to follow it all, or at all
He/Him/His Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:When consulting the book of Aubron, switching from frame #1 to the current one, it's a startling contrast. Detail has subtly but constantly been increasing...
Spoiler:
We started from this very minimalistic image:

Then travled through a quite dull landscape...

followed by a slightly less dull landscape...

then it got richer and richer...
(click for zoomable panorama...)

filled with grass, bushes, wowtrees, molpies and a wowterfall...

to now THIS:

Wow. I expected it to be long. And it was. And I expected it to be big. It was. I just didn't expect it to be so NEAT.

Spoiler:
time1.png

pano_1_tn.png

pano_2_tn.png

pano_3_tn.png

wowterfall.gif

starrysky.gif

Absolutely! I always Book of Aubron and have found, in the past few dips, that the contrast between the 1st newpic and current ones is breathtakingly beautiful. I love what you did here with the manip'd reminders of the terrain between the wow and neat stuff we've been through together. I love the OTC and I love this place.

Spoiler:

Some of us did notice your absence, and again your return but, with the speed of the OTT, don't have time to post as often as we would like. It's great to see you back even if it is just for a moment. I'm also very sorry to hear of your lay-off.. I know that's a terrible thing to experience as I've seen loved ones go through it. Super positive vibes headed your way. <3
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
edo wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Image

(de-ultra-comaing)
It's on the ecliptic, it's probably the second planet we've been waiting for!

11/7/2013 shows no other planets in the vicinity. It would have to be some other year -- who knows when and where... I'm not going to look for that unlikely conjunction.

Well, Jupiter should be in that same location in 2043 ( within 10 arcminutes along the ecliptic, albeit on closer look, Venus is almost 4 degrees off the ecliptic, so no joy) Saturn will be relatively close in 2018, and Mars in 2014, but they're not bright enough to be that planet. *shrugs*
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

⁷, the volume and information density of the OTT is so high these icositetranewpix... Go away for a newpix, you have to spend a newpix Imageing...

@Ebonite: sorry to hear about your upheaval, and good luck! We'll do our best trying to keep your spirit up.
@Eutichus: lovely ottificationrendition!

That'll have to do for now, got molpy to animate.
Last edited by mscha on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

Lawsome wrote:You people have certainly developed a lot of culture. 0_o

I nominate this for "Understatement of the wix"!

Purplepants77

Postby Purplepants77 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

O. M. R......

Spoiler:
Wait for it...

Hi everybody. Yeah, I'm still here, still alive, and still Waiting. I know you'd probably never guess I'm back here, but trust me, I have every intention of reading everything posted on the OTT# ... it just might take me a long time. A very long time. Let me put it to you this way... Remember when Blitzgirl was in the past? And then she wasn't. And then I was. I have yet to be in the present simultaneously with Blitzgirl, and its been ages since it stopped feeling weird that she's caught up. In fact now it almost seems weird that she ever wasn't caught up. The worst part is my current status is NP 722/964, a pitiful 242 NP back desperately trying to keep up with the pace.

Anyway among the 10000 things I've wanted to say, I remember about 4 and none are particularly important.
Inigo Montoya wrote: Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

So, even though I feel like almost all my posts are "Wow, you guys are so cool!", this post is going to pretty much say "Wow, you guys are so cool!"

Wow you guys are4 and the OTT is3,7,8!

So the entire reason I am posting this post and opening it the way I am is because (suspense)

Spoiler:
I accidentally saw the most recent frame... It was an honest mistake! :cry: I avoid the Book of Aubron at all costs for this very reason but I was showing it to a friend and fellow xkcd reader and I accidentally went backwards too many frames. I was scared and excited and upset all at the same time. I felt... unclean... and within a second I had simultaneously half-closed my eyes, turned my head away (while still point my eyes at the screen), and closed the tab on my browser. All I saw of the frame was enough to say 7 and sit for a moment in awe. That's when I cheated (kinda) and went back and looked at that frame (only that frame) again. I mean I had already seen it once, but I got to appreciate it this time. I just sat and looked at my screen thinking "THE FUTURE IS AWESOME!!" for a solid minute 16.7 mnp. Before I got tempted any more I closed the tab again and immediately logged in to write this post. I've been meaning to anyway, but I was going to wait until I had enough time/energy to finish the filks I have started. Some thoughts have crossed my mind after seeing that and I can't decide if the future is just all really cool (well, I'm sure it is) or if this is a brief couple newpix like this. And then I thought "Oh no! What if this is the end?! What if this is the dramatic curtain close?!?!" I don't want it to end, but whether its ended/ing or not, I'm super excited to make it back to the present now! Unfortunately the outside is very forceful right now and if it keeps up like this, I might press charges against it for holding me against my will.

I'll reiterate: You guys are awesome. I miss you and I miss being in the present but I certainly can't compete with the awesomery thats being thrown around so you aren't missing much :wink: ... Hope to see you guys (and gals) in the future soon$!

# By this I mean everything from the point that I started lurking a long time ago. I still have 100-200 newpages to read before that and I may get there some Time, but not until I at least run down the present.
$ Wait for it.
Still blitzing away and will be for some time.

Current Location: NP 1432
NP from Present: 891
Current Progress: 61.6%

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

Image Yay, Time fanart:
Spoiler:

Redundant spoiler:
Spoiler:
WaitingForDawn.png

redundant10.png
redundant10.png (122.57 KiB) Viewed 14273 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Lawsome wrote:

>Looks at wiki
>Sees all the pages

We've had a lot of time :wink: Don't feel the need to follow it all, or at all

But don't be discouraged! We love new people. Image

And in lieu of the recent material, and the fact I haven't cupcake'd anyone in a while. CUPCAKES for everyone!

Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

DING

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:<lots o' snip>I haven't been posting here since I've been spending my time on more critical things, but I've been trying to keep up with reading the forum. The scientist in me has wanted to jump into the astronomy discussions, but I simply haven't had the time. (Plus, I'd fallen far behind, and didn't want to blindpost.) Thank you all very much for keeping me sane and grounded over the past couple of weeks. Please don't slow down...if you don't see me posting for a few weeks, know that I'll still be reading. I hope to be back to normal soon.

Thanks for checking in, Ebonite, and letting us know your situation. May your trials and tribulations be short-lived, and please don't wait until "normal" to stop by again.... OldTimers and Newcomers, Frequentposters and Shy Lurkers, Astronomers and Poets (and poet-astronomers!), Filkers and FilkAppreciators, the Hatted and the BareHeaded - we're all pulling for you.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:A little more playing around in Stellarium.
Spoiler:
I'm concurring that the positions of the stars and the direction that they rotate and the timing of them being just after sunset is definitely consistent with late April early May somewhere in the vicinity of the tropic of cancer or maybe a littler further north sometime 11500 years from now +/- 500 years.
However the position of the sun was a big inconsistency. It should have set much further to the left and it's arc should have been south of Venus's arc. (Yes it's still Venus).

No, the Sun should have set further to the right (north). As shown in mscha's diagram it was south of Venus, and it should have been north. If you display the ecliptic in Stellarium it's easy to see. Venus is south of the ecliptic (which is the apparent path of the sun on the celestial sphere). I think this is the most damning evidence that the GLR is using some artistic license in the OTU.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:
Spoiler:

No, the Sun should have set further to the right (north). As shown in mscha's diagram it was south of Venus, and it should have been north. If you display the ecliptic in Stellarium it's easy to see. Venus is south of the ecliptic (which is the apparent path of the sun on the celestial sphere). I think this is the most damning evidence that the GLR is using some artistic license in the OTU.

Ah, but if that were true, why fix the mustard star?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

Yay, cupcakes!

Earthling on Mars wrote:DING
Spoiler:

eh? :shock:
*waits for the -DONG*

Hmm. Perhaps I should test this...

The River is small!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Image Yay, Time fanart:
Spoiler:

Redundant spoiler:
Spoiler:
WaitingForDawn.png

redundant10.png

Seems redundant to write, but this is awesome as usual. Great job on the surrounding flora.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

Boy is there a lot going on! I can only stop in for a moment, but I wanted to share my appreciation for all of it... especially

yappobiscuits (ottification of Stars from Les Mis)
kenmelken (One Pix More, ottification of One Day More from Les Mis)
Eutychus and Marsh'n (Eutychus' performance of Marsh'n's "Wowtreeful World"

They are awesomeful and megatreeish!

Also mscha's animations and their derivatives. What a crowd this is!

jovialbard wrote:Which is precisely why you can't pick any object moving through the night sky, measure it's angle of decent, compare the angle of it's perpendicular to the horizon, and know the latitude.
True. However, you can, from the angle of descent, create a vector to the North Star (or in its absence, the pole of rotation). If you do the same from another point on the horizon, the two vectors will intersect at this pole of rotation. From the elevation of that point, you should be able to derive the latitude.

@Ebonite: Best of luck on your job search. I know what a blow it can be to be laid off like that. Know that the world is like unto the sea. It is great, and large, and does what it wants. But for every rowrmolpy, there is a wowterfall, and you don't get to see them without exploring. This is just what the first part of triumph looks like. I am certain that you will emerge in glory. And, btw, I also noticed you were scarce.

Do what you must, come back when you can. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

sford

Postby sford » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

From bottom of page (refreshed about a half hour earlier):

Users browsing this forum: alcore, BlitzGirl, charlie_grumbles, Choittetet, Doralefe, DrSamCarter, Earthling on Mars, Eutychus, fhorn, ggh, karhell, Lawsome, Marsh'n, MobTeeseboose, moody7277, mscha, Nerd Mike, Purplepants77, rvloon, Sciscitor, sford, tavella, Valarya and 42 guests

Hi Mr. Grumbles! Glad to see you peeking in. :-)

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
spamjam wrote:
Spoiler:

Ah, but if that were true, why fix the mustard star?

Only the artist knows :shock:

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Yay, cupcakes!

Earthling on Mars wrote:DING
Spoiler:

eh? :shock:
*waits for the -DONG*

Hmm. Perhaps I should test this...

The River is small!

The hedgehog is really neat!

(Yeah, something's broken. I think Earthling on Mars tore open the Time-Thread Continuum)

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

Updated animation (still brightened with gamma 3):
Spoiler:

Here's a less rushed animation of the (regularly sized!) molpy:
(BlitzGirl's version is ⁴er, though. Image )
Aside from the main molpy (which probably left the scene again to the right), there's also something that seems like a venus flytrap, on the right of this picture.
On the left, there's also some subpixel-level stuff going on, but for now I'm assuming that's just setting stars shining through the grass, as unlikely as it seems.

ETA: okay, okay,
The sea is big!
Last edited by mscha on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:46 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”