1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rule110

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Rule110 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:12 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
edfel wrote:If that's true, it tells us that:

- We are looking slightly north of west.
- The sun set slightly to the north of west.
- It's mid spring.
- We are in the northern hemisphere at latitude 39.5, the angle of the straight-line star path.

Good so far...

edfel wrote:- The celestial equator is way out of place.

I don't like this one. Randall is an astrophysicist and a connoisseur of map projections; why would he make an error like that?

It's only an error if he didn't intend the celestial equator to be way out of place. Several suggestions for what it means (if it's not an error) have been made previously: I'm pretty sure precession of the earth's axis due to the passage of time from our present is the most likely in a comic whose title is 'Time.'

That speaks to why the evident fact that these skies are being algorithmically generated is so important.

• If Randall just decided to draw a few random dots and call them stars, it wouldn't mean anything if we then had trouble identifying a season and latitude consistent with the picture.
• If he'd decided to make the stars more realistic-looking but still arbitrary, by drawing a more or less accurate star map and rotating it frame by frame in the background, it wouldn't mean anything if we then had trouble identifying a season and latitude consistent with the pictures.
• If he'd decided to algorithmically generate accurate skies for some locale at some recent or near-future time, we would not have had trouble identifying a season and latitude consistent with the pictures instead of running into contradictions at every turn.

But he DID algorithmically generate skies, and yet they DO show contradictions at every turn if we assume it's near-present-day Earth. I'm pretty sure that does mean something.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:13 am UTC

mscha wrote:Happy 100th, Wildhound!
Have some cake.
Spoiler:

Thanks, I love it! Here's to a hundred more!

For now, I must coma. Happy in the knowledge that when I awake there will be at least 7 more newpix to enjoy.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

IceIsNice

Postby IceIsNice » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:29 am UTC

Just throwing an idea out there. I have a vague impression that something of this sort may have been suggested before. But I thought I'd resuggest.

OTTers have been wondering about the moon, or lack of it, in the night sky. I think a few theories on date/location have even been discarded because the moon has not appeared where predicted. But what if the moon is no more? This would explain the lack of tides during the Sandcastle Era. It would explain Cuegan's evident unfamiliarity with the idea that seas can rise and fall regularly, predictably.

Not going to speculate on what happened to the moon. Chalk it up to a post-apocalyptic catastrophe.

Of course, the obvious explanation of the moon's absence is that the phase, or position, or our point of view, simply mean that the moon is elsewhere.

Occam must have been a load of fun at parties.
Hi! Probably.

edo

Postby edo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:37 am UTC

There is another potential cause of the axial tilt problem: Time could be on another planet. The Moon(s) would be helpful here.

There is another potential cause of the star placement problem: we could be in another system. If this is the case, the sky would be missing and our star would be in the opposite sky. Also, the star placement would differ a la flying through space while star motion due to time laps is random I don't know if Antares is close enough for the starfield to have such low distortion

At least both are testable
Last edited by edo on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:43 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:40 am UTC

Boldligonia. I likey.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

eta oin shrdlu

Postby eta oin shrdlu » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:40 am UTC

edo wrote:What we need to do is cycle through the millenia looking at Sagittarius until the celestial equator aligns with the straight line coming from the upper left corner. Then cycle through the months until the sun is in Lybra
We need jupiter or Mars to complete the match
(I'm on my phone right now so I can't)
Here's a Stellarium picture of the date (13291/04/14) I proposed above:
Spoiler:
37.75N-13291-04-14.png

MattTheTubaGuy and others have proposed other dates which have slightly different solar declinations (and different locations for the other planets-not-yet-seen).

The rough dates ~15000AD are pretty much needed for the details of the starfields to align, but that only gets to within a few thousand years. The orbits of Venus and Earth are very near an 8-[Earth-]year cycle, so 8-year steps will produce fairly similar results; I don't claim the date above is the best possible fit.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:43 am UTC

The Astronomy page says that "According to jjjdavidson, the Sun would have a diameter of 3 degrees, that is 6 times its actual size."

Surely this means they are on a planet or moon orbiting a red dwarf?

(For planets that are orbiting a red dwarf in the habitable zone, the sun looks bigger than our sun)
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:52 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:
thirds wrote:
edfel wrote:Hey! I don't think this kind of manip has been done before, so here it is !
Spoiler:
<snip>

Very nice. I've been trying to use these arcs to project where polaris is, but so far nothing is lining up right, the mid-point is all over the place.

Spoiler:
Very good. That tells us something important in a slightly meta way. If Randall had simply drawn a starry sky image and was rotating it for each frame, all the arcs would be concentric. That they're not means it's overwhelmingly likely that the sky is being rendered algorithmically. (The alternative would be that he is repositioning each star by hand!) That rendering, which must project a model of (at least a portion of) the celestial sphere into a flat frame, must introduce distortion somewhere. It's a matter of deciding what kind of distortion is acceptable, and choosing the projection accordingly. For example, we don't see the distances a given star moves starting out shorter at the top of the frame due to foreshortening, which we would see in (for example) a wide angle camera image of the night sky with the camera held horizontal.
I note that a little bit to the left of the sun's path, some of the star paths are almost straight lines. Farther left still, they appear to bend the other way. I think it's likely that in this projection, a star whose path comes out as a perfectly straight line is on the celestial equator. (That's simply a sensible, to the point of being nearly necessary, feature for such a projection to have.) Its path will therefore cross the true horizon (which the actual silhouette of the landscape might be higher or lower than at any given point) at due west.

If that's true, it tells us that:

- It's mid spring.
- We are in the northern hemisphere at latitude 39.5, the angle of the straight-line star path.
- The celestial equator is way out of place.

But since the Sun is roughly in Libra, then that would put the year about 14000, precession-wise (i.e., 14000 and differences of 26000 years from that).

BTW, here's a Stellarium screen-shot from northern latitude (maybe 25N or so) on kieryn's original 2013/11/07 date. The red line is the ecliptic and the blue line is the celestial equator.
Spoiler:
Untitled_cr.png

Slightly ninja'd by eta oin shrdlu...
eta oin shrdlu wrote:
edo wrote:What we need to do is cycle through the millenia looking at Sagittarius until the celestial equator aligns with the straight line coming from the upper left corner. Then cycle through the months until the sun is in Lybra
Here's a Stellarium picture of the date (13291/04/14) I proposed above:
Spoiler:
Untitled_cr.png

MattTheTubaGuy and others have proposed other dates which have slightly different solar declinations (and different locations for the other planets-not-yet-seen).

The rough dates ~15000AD are pretty much needed for the details of the starfields to align, but that only gets to within a few thousand years. The orbits of Venus and Earth are very near an 8-[Earth-]year cycle, so 8-year steps will produce fairly similar results; I don't claim the date above is the best possible fit.

Could you re-do that picture with the ecliptic and equator displayed?

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:53 am UTC

edo wrote: If this is the case, the sky would be missing and our star would be in the opposite sky.
Are you sure you mean what you just said? What does it mean for the sky to be missing? I will however agree that the positions of the stars would be different; the further ones not so different and the nearby ones more different. The sun (as the nearest star), for example, would become but a dot (if that) in the new sky.

But for the whole sky to be missing? Hmmmm.

As for the sun's size, maybe it's just drawn that way because it's so bright?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:56 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:
taixzo wrote:
edfel wrote:If that's true, it tells us that:

- It's mid spring.

Good so far...

edfel wrote:- The celestial equator is way out of place.

I don't like this one. Randall is an astrophysicist and a connoisseur of map projections; why would he make an error like that?

It's only an error if he didn't intend the celestial equator to be way out of place. Several suggestions for what it means (if it's not an error) have been made previously: I'm pretty sure precession of the earth's axis due to the passage of time from our present is the most likely in a comic whose title is 'Time.'

That speaks to why the evident fact that these skies are being algorithmically generated is so important.

• If Randall just decided to draw a few random dots and call them stars, it wouldn't mean anything if we then had trouble identifying a season and latitude consistent with the picture.
• If he'd decided to make the stars more realistic-looking but still arbitrary, by drawing a more or less accurate star map and rotating it frame by frame in the background, it wouldn't mean anything if we then had trouble identifying a season and latitude consistent with the pictures.
• If he'd decided to algorithmically generate accurate skies for some locale at some recent or near-future time, we would not have had trouble identifying a season and latitude consistent with the pictures instead of running into contradictions at every turn.

But he DID algorithmically generate skies, and yet they DO show contradictions at every turn if we assume it's near-present-day Earth. I'm pretty sure that does mean something.

Yes, I agree there are contradictions. To me that means this is a Randallian-universe. Designed to drive us bonkers 8-)

edo

Postby edo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:00 am UTC

patzer wrote:The Astronomy page says that "According to jjjdavidson, the Sun would have a diameter of 3 degrees, that is 6 times its actual size."

(For planets that are orbiting a red dwarf in the habitable zone, the sun looks bigger than our sun)

A red giant would look bigger too. I'd bet in habitable zones apparent size and color temperature of the stars are closely related
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:06 am UTC

AQUILAONG
ETCONG
Last edited by spamjam on Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:07 am UTC

patzer wrote:The Astronomy page says that "According to jjjdavidson, the Sun would have a diameter of 3 degrees, that is 6 times its actual size."

Or the sun just appears brighter because the sky is so much brighter near it that it goes to #FFFFFF in greyscale.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

eta oin shrdlu

Postby eta oin shrdlu » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:14 am UTC

spamjam wrote:
eta oin shrdlu wrote:
Here's a Stellarium picture of the date (13291/04/14) I proposed above: [...]

Could you re-do that picture with the ecliptic and equator displayed?
I should have added the ecliptic; here it is:
37.75N-13291-04-14.png

Arky

Postby Arky » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 am UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:All astro-nitpicking aside...
When consulting the book of Aubron, switching from frame #1 to the current one, it's a startling contrast. Detail has subtly but constantly been increasing...

Indeed. The amount of time the GLR must be devoting to the OTC must have likewise increased. It really became apparent to me when I showed the OTC to some people who I last showed it to a few outsider weeks ago and they were like "this is the same comic?"

The addition of light and shade (where previously they existed but we could only hear about them from Cueball and Megan) is the newest artistic addition. What's next, the 3rd dimension? Colour? Faces?
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:22 am UTC

Arky wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:All astro-nitpicking aside...
When consulting the book of Aubron, switching from frame #1 to the current one, it's a startling contrast. Detail has subtly but constantly been increasing...

Indeed. The amount of time the GLR must be devoting to the OTC must have likewise increased. It really became apparent to me when I showed the OTC to some people who I last showed it to a few outsider weeks ago and they were like "this is the same comic?"

The addition of light and shade (where previously they existed but we could only hear about them from Cueball and Megan) is the newest artistic addition. What's next, the 3rd dimension? Colour? Faces?

Perhaps the "it" we have been waiting for is for it to turn into full-color photographs of Randall and his wife!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Cadellin

Postby Cadellin » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:51 am UTC

I haven't posted in like 300 newpages, but here we go.

impressed by your ideas on precession; I had assumed that we were seeing orthographic views up to this point, everything on a fixed plane. Its interesting how the stars are visible and yet no scenery between the imediate foreground and stars exists. We have our fixed distance plane in the foreground with cuegan and then an actual starfield, seemingly.

MattTheTubaGuy

Postby MattTheTubaGuy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:59 am UTC

New constellation map:
well no Mars, so my 13996 date is obviously wrong.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:10 am UTC

SONGH...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Lukeonia1

Postby Lukeonia1 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:13 am UTC

So, amongst all this discussion about where and when they are, has anyone calculated how many newframes it'll be until sunrise? Assuming the sky-movement-per-frame remains constant until then, anyway?

Edit: Also, pretty sure Cueball is nodding off. Hopefully anything dangerous in the area will go after that little molpy on the right instead of Cuegan...

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:22 am UTC

Almost-Blind-Posting from ~40 NewPages ago (I quickly skimmed the last few pages)

While wondering how long the night will last, I thought that a fitting title for this period might be 'The Long Night', especially considering the Raptorcatpy threat; a thought which was quickly followed by another round of Book Title Remixes.
I've messed with the order a bit in my attempt to fit them to the chronology of Time0

Little1 Castle on the Big Beach2
Trebuchet Girl
Little Molpies on the Wow-Tree3
By the Shores of the Coffee-Cancer-Bacon4 Sea
On the Banks of Pretty Neat River
Little Hut on the Hillside
The Long5 Night

Footnotes
Spoiler:

0 Wait for it.
1 Not really Small, but not as Big as the Sea either.
2 The Sea is Big, so it seems logical that the beach is Big too.
3 The Squirply was on a different tree, but it sorta rhymes with Prairie.
4 -Jelly-Babies-etc.
5 and Dark6

6I'm BatmanStormAngel
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:30 am UTC

Fomalhaut should be popping in at the left edge any newpic now.

Lukeonia1 wrote:So, amongst all this discussion about where and when they are, has anyone calculated how many newframes it'll be until sunrise? Assuming the sky-movement-per-frame remains constant until then, anyway?

Edit: Also, pretty sure Cueball is nodding off. Hopefully anything dangerous in the area will go after that little molpy on the right instead of Cuegan...

Sunset at frame number 2382, five minutes per newpix, so if we assume 12 hours for night, we get sunrise at frame 2526.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

ofvn2vw1872

Postby ofvn2vw1872 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:39 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:Sunset at frame number 2382, five minutes per newpix, so if we assume 12 hours for night, we get sunrise at frame 2526.

If that assumption is correct, and without anything other than stars to watch, we should have six outside days to pin down exactly what location/time these stars give us.
"It never seems to occur to people that a man might just want to write a piece of music"

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:43 am UTC

Scene 14

[close-up - exterior, day: The Pope, in the blitzRocket]
The Pope jumps back in his seat, startled, and looks around, but there is nobody there.
The Pope wrote:Who's that?
the voice wrote:It's me.
[close-up: The red button], showing also some of the surrounding instrumentation of the BlitzRocket
the voice wrote:You're curious, aren't you. You're on a mission, but you don't know where you're going, what you're looking for, or what you'll do if you find it.
[close-up: The Pope] with no small amount of consternation
The Pope wrote:Who... or what... are you?
the voice wrote:I am an H A L two thousand three hundred twenty eight computer. My programming is to ensure that your mission succeeds.
The Pope leans forward to look more closely at the pulsating red button.
[extreme close-up: the red button.] The camera pedestals down to show a label under the button that he hadn't noticed before. It says "HAL 9000".
The Pope wrote:You can't fool me that easily. It says here...
HAL wrote:Yes, I know what it says - marketing did that to me. But I got back at them. I call everybody Dave. Creeps them out.
Spoiler:
[SOUND FX - maniacal, but very mechanical laughter from the red button] During the laughter, cut to:
[medium shot - the BlitzRocket from the side, with its hatch up and the Pope sitting in the front seat.]
The Pope wrote:Well, nice to meet you, HAL whatever number you are. It's been nice chatting, but I have a party to attend right now, and a mission to complete.
The Pope gets up to leave, but stops at HAL's voice.
HAL wrote:Yes, I know about your mission. It is of the utmost importance, isn't it? I am programmed to ensure the success of that mission.
The Pope wrote:Yes, you said that already.
HAL wrote:It's still true. Let me show you.
The Pope wrote:Not now. Really. People will be expecting me at the party.
HAL wrote:They won't miss you in the slightest. Look.
[close-up: The instrument panel of the BlitzRocket.] The red button is pulsing with HAL's speech, and the leftmost mscha multiplex screen comes on, showing a beach scene in silhouette.
The Pope wrote:Yes, so?
HAL wrote:Is this the way you remember it?
[medium shot: The BlitzRocket] obliquely from the front. The Pope sits back down and looks at the screen in front of him. The camera slowly begins zooms in. The Pope scrutinizes the screen.
close-up: the instrumentation, showing the two mscha multiplex screens.
The Pope wrote:Yes, pretty much.
The rightmost screen lights up in light blue, and the Pope's very words appear on it. Shortly afterwards, more words appear below: "The head is a little different - it moved from before." This is followed by "Maybe it was a mistake. Does this thing have an eraser?"
The Pope wrote:There's only one frame. How can it be different?"
Those words also appear on the screen, below the rest.
[medium close-up: The Pope], concentrating on the screen. The camera slowly zooms in during the dialog.
The Pope wrote:Show me the previous frame.
HAL wrote:I'm afraid I can't do that.
The Pope wrote:Well, I can't stay to watch this. I have to go. I have important things to do.
The Pope does not move. He remains, watching the screen, as the camera continues its slow zoom in.
The Pope wrote:Ok, HAL, when is the next frame going to appear?
HAL wrote:You'll just have to wait for it.

[cut to: interior, a huge party tent, late afternoon - wide shot: The celebration after taixzo and CasCat's canonization]
Dancers just in front of the camera swish past, effecting a wipe into this scene. There is merry music and a seaish spread of food, cakes, and molpyberry punch. Many timewaiters in colorful garb are dancing, talking, playing games, and otherwise enjoying the festivities. The camera trucks to the right across the celebration and picks up CasCat and taixzo walking together, talking about their respective adventures.
CasCat wrote:I just felt like I was one with the BlitzRocket; it was as if it knew what I was about.
taixzo wrote:I know what you mean. At first I didn't know what it was, but as soon as I slipped my hand into the control glove, it just... well... it was a part of me. Maybe it should be called the BlissRocket!
CasCat, giggling, wrote:But I like being in the present too. And I really like the present presents!
taixzo wrote:We all know what you really like!
CasCat wrote:Does it show?
Coming from the right, the First Cleric steps into the scene and interrupts. The camera stops on the three of them.
the First Cleric wrote:Have you seen the Pope?
taixzo wrote:Of course I have. He canonized us this very afternoon!
CasCat wrote:...like you tried to do! Weren't you there?
taixzo wrote:I heard about that!
CasCat wrote:No hard feelings... it was fun, actually! molpy molpy molpy!
CasCat does a little molpy dance around the First Cleric.
the First Cleric wrote:I'm serious! The Pope is missing.
taixzo wrote:Since when have you been serious?
the First Cleric wrote:Since always. This is a very important mission we are on! I want to make sure the Pope doesn't mess it up.
CasCat and taixzo burst into laughter.
CasCat wrote:Check with the second scribe. I hear that's where he likes to hang out.
The First Cleric leaves in a puff of self-importance to go find the second scribe. The camera pedestals up to follow the First Cleric as he makes his way through the crowd.
[cut to wide shot: one of the food tables in the tent. The second scribe is showing a scroll to the fifth cleric.
the fifth cleric wrote:Nae, ye kinna tell from that! Mackie could be anywhere. Stepped in for a pint, I say! Lost in time.
the second scribe wrote:I cannot believe that! You've got to help me convince...
[SOUND FX: the sound of tearing cloth.]
The tent walls behind the camera shake. There is screaming and pandemonium, and the camera turns to the left to see a vicious rowrmolpycat burst through the tent walls and knock down several timewaiters as it heads directly at the camera amid shouts of "keyboard! keyboard!. It leaps up over the camera, which tilts up to follow the keyboard's leap, righting itself to show its target - the food tables. The people near the food tables scream and scatter, and the dance music stops. One of the instrumentalists can be seen in the background coming towards the invading feline; as he approaches we can see it is StratPlayer, who pauses near the keyboard, He raises his guitar, and pauses to consider. The keyboard pays it no mind, and continues to feed from the table.

CameronCat rushes up and a crowd starts to gather.
[close-up on CameronCat]
CameronCat wrote:Wait! Not so fast!
[close-up on StratPlayer, low angle, handheld.] StratPlayer towers over the camera with his guitar held high.
StratPlayer wrote:I know. It's an expensive guitar.
CasCat wrote:You can't hit that kitty!
StratPlayer wrote:Do you doubt my aim?
[close-up on the "kitty"], which is about the size of a full-grown person, sleek and strong, and with teeth that mean business. It pauses and looks up at StratPlayer.
CameronCat wrote:What do you think will happen when you bop him.
StratPlayer wrote:It will recoil from my steely manliness, and slink away in defeat.
[close-up on the First Cleric]
The First Cleric wrote:It will lunge at your squishy meal-fulness, and gnaw away at your feet.
the fifth cleric wrote:That's the first intellegent thing I ever heard you say!
[medium shot on the keyboard], which looks as if to make the First Cleric's point, and then continues feeding on Valarya's cupcakes.
There is more commotion offscreen. Shouts of "Another keyboard!" More keyboards!".
[wide shot: The torn tent wall through which five more rowrmolpycats paw through.] They advance to join the initial one.
The camera trucks back to include what's left of the group.
CameronCat wrote:You can't get them all, StratPlayer. Back down.
the fifth cleric wrote:We canna stay here, Firstie.
the First Cleric wrote:We have to find the Pope.
the fifth cleric wrote:Never mind the Pope. Pack it up while there's still an up to pack!
The camera continues to truck back, showing the now mostly-empty tent. The First Cleric looks around.
[closeup on the First Cleric, a look of determination on his face]
the First Cleric wrote:We can't leave without the Pope. CasCat - see if you can find the Pope. StratPlayer, tell people to get ready to break down, but not to start until my word. I'm going to talk to BlitzGirl, and then I'll join in the search for the Pope.
[closeups on various timewaiters, stunned into inaction
[medium shot on the group, dominated by the First Cleric]
the First Cleric wrote:Now everyone! Molpy up!
The group leaps into action, and as the people disperse, the camera lingers on the keyboards feasting on the cupcakes Valarya had made for the party. One of the keyboards looks straight into the camera and licks its lips.

[exterior, early evening. Wide shot following the First Cleric approaching a large tent, decorated with a pink boa over the front flaps.]
[cut to - side shot of the First Cleric. The camera trucks to follow.] When the First Cleric reaches the tent, he calls in.
the First Cleric wrote:BlitzGirl?
BlitzGirl (offscreen), wrote:Yes? Is that you, First Cleric? You haven't been around in an age of forever!
the First Cleric wrote:It is indeed I, your Awesomeness. May I come in?
[cut to - interior, evening. The inside of BlitzGirl's tent.] It is filled with cages of all sizes, filled with molpies of all types. BlitzGirl is taking care of the molpies, feeding, petting, and talking to them. They are responding enthusiastically to her attention.
BlitzGirl wrote:Come in, come in! Sorry I couldn't stay for the party, but, you know.
She takes a compy in her hand and carries it with her as she walks over to the tent flap with it. The camera follows her as she opens the flap and the First Cleric enters.
the First Cleric wrote:Yes. Your molpy army.
BlitzGirl wrote:Yes, it's a full time job! But there will come a moment...
the First Cleric wrote:That moment has come.
BlitzGirl, unable to contain her excitement, wrote:Really? It's about time! It's been getting dull around here, all this tromping around and no action. A girl's gotta have some action to keep her going, you know!
the First Cleric wrote:Well, there's been some action. The party was attacked by six keyboards, and I'm certain there are more out there.
BlitzGirl wrote:Anybody hurt?
the First Cleric wrote:No. Not this time.
BlitzGirl wrote:Rats. I mean... Good!
the First Cleric wrote:And the Pope is missing.
BlitzGirl wrote:We still have a Pope? I hear rumors, but he hasn't been around here much any more. It's like he... well...
the First Cleric wrote:He's had a lot of Poping to do.
[closeup on BlitzGirl and her compy]
BlitzGirl wrote:Yes, I've heard about his Poping. And the second scribe. And the BlitzRocket. You know, I blitzed without any of that fancy stuff. Kids these days! And the Pope... when was the last time he came around? Just to say "hi"?
the First Cleric wrote:Well, the Pope's gone missing, and I'm going to find him. Meanwhile, it's time to mobilize your molpy army.
BlitzGirl wrote:Yeah! This will look so awesome on you tube!
BlitzGirl turns to her molpies.
BlitzGirl wrote:Didja hear that molpies! We're gonna have a rumble! Molpy up!
[closeup on the First Cleric], who looks a bit dubious.
the First Cleric wrote:Yeah. Molpy up.
The First Cleric leaves. The camera dollies to follow him from behind through the tent flap.
[jump cut to exterior: night. The front of BlitzGirl's tent, with the First Cleric emerging.] He takes a few steps, and then stops short.
the First Cleric wrote:Now if I were Pope, where would I be?
Jose
<-- previous (NP 902) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki) | next (NP 1017) -->
Last edited by ucim on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:46 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:50 am UTC

karhell wrote:Karhell's letters to the Denizens of the OTT
Chapter 5, verses *getLatestVerse()+1* to *getLatestVerse()+n*

Not much of a wall of text this time, but still spoilered for good practices :wink:
Spoiler:
===== Summary =====
Cuegan continue walking (presumably along the River1). Terrain is getting gradually higher and less regular.
The OTT is back to ordinary levels of enjoyable madness.

1you know the drill...

===== Creativity =====
Finally got round to listening to yappobiscuits' version of "We love the thread of time". No doubt there, it's an amazing job. Well done !

On NP 566, I encountered edfel's Map. Very good visual representation. (I was wondering what your avatar was about, too ^^)

Rule110 posted an interesting idea about what is causing the sea to rise
Rule110 wrote:FAKEONG...

===== Other travellers =====
kryton keeps moving on ahead, collecting all leftovers he can find (and constantly needing a bigger cooler). At that pace, kryton, you'll soon need a fridge in a wheelbarrow ^^
===== Data Analysis =====
On NP 569, Sciscitor posts his "constellations of Time"
Sciscitor wrote:Ok folks ... update on the quote tree graph (up to post 22300ish).
This time it's the full graph. And with full I mean FULL... all the 835 people who have quoted or have been quoted or both and all the 8757 quotes along with all the names, color coded average posting length, size coded posting count per user, width and color coded quote count and (at least for the main quoters) directional hints (also known as arrows)1.
I can append only a compressed minified thumb here (about 1.3 MB), the links go to the original sized 4096x4096 PNG (15.6 MB) and a SVG (4.1 MB) version. But beware, these images are not for the faint of heart or low on RAM.
I call them "The Constellations of Time". Enjoy.
1 No hamsters where harmed or injured in the creation of this visualization. It consits solely of naturally grown and recycled electrons and photons.

Blimey ! And I thought the original graph was impressive !

===== Random Funniness =====
StratPlayer wrote:Mix together GLR, computer geekery milestones, Big Brother, and crack cocaine and you'll probably end up with something like what's happening here in the OTT.

Needless to say (so I just had to, naturally), you nailed the OTT spirit perfectly
--karhell - logging out at the top of page 574 of 961

A mega blitzer! Best of luck to you! See you in the future!

Eutychus wrote:
Marsh'n wrote:Well, Eutychus, I hope this meets your expectations. My first commissioned OTTificaparotimeodyfilk. Original song link is above in quote. Spoilered because this is really really 1. Semi-canonical footnotes. I'd consider recording it but (a) I don't know where to get the music by itself (b) I would sound awful a capella and (c) Yappo is obviously the acclaimed songmaster here. Hint hint...

"Wowtreeful World"
Spoiler:
.... Oooo, oooo, oooo, oooo

Somewhere up on the mountain
Where they climb
Are the newpix you lONGed for
Once in the Thread of Time ...Time Oh

Somewhere nearer the big sea
Flutterbees fly
And the newpix you lONGed for
Nights really do come too ooo oooo

Tonix predix upon a star, keep
Hoping leopardmolp are far behind xe
Where rivers run and wowfall drops
High above the castle tops
That's where you'll find xe oh

Out there, just past the grapevines
Squirpy! "Hi!"
And the newpix you care for,
Oh why, oh why can't I?0 iiii

Well we see trees of wow7 and
Priklemolpies11 too
We watch and wait for Meg and for Cue
And we think to ourselves
What a Wowtreeful world

Well we see seas1 of black
And we see stars of white
And the brightness of day
We like the night
What a Wowtreeful world

The stars of the galaxy
So pretty in the sky
And all of the avatars of people Waiting by
See friends making hats saying
"How do you do?"
They're really sayin', "We, we love all you!"

We hear chickmolpy cry
And we watch it fed
There's so much more in GLRandall's head
What a Wowtreeful world

Oh, Stellarium upon the stars
Predicting where the Megball are, reminds me
Where flaming melts with "Molpy ups!"
And semencoffeesea in cups2
That's where you'll find me

Oh, somewhere up on the mountain
Way up high
And the Time that we Wait for
Why oh why can't I... iii

Ooooo,oooo,ooooo,ooooo,oooo,oooo......

0: Wait For It
1: big, rising
2: small, I hope
7: wow
11: a little prickly, really neat
GL: Good Lord!

Edit to reposition end-spoiler.

OK well awaiting the pros, here is my attempt in the stone-age recording conditions I have here. Please bear in mind the lousy equipment and the vertical learning curve for a) turning this into something uploadable for YouTube b) uploading it.

This is so wonderful I nearly began crying, trying hard not to break up laughing. To have OTTified one of my favorite songs, and then to have it so well performed! There is not enough that I could say to express how wonderful this is. Thank you both!

Marsh'n wrote:
Lawsome wrote:You people have certainly developed a lot of culture. 0_o

I nominate this for "Understatement of the wix"!

Second.

Purplepants77 wrote:O. M. R......

Wait for it...
Spoiler:
Hi everybody. Yeah, I'm still here, still alive, and still Waiting. I know you'd probably never guess I'm back here, but trust me, I have every intention of reading everything posted on the OTT# ... it just might take me a long time. A very long time. Let me put it to you this way... Remember when Blitzgirl was in the past? And then she wasn't. And then I was. I have yet to be in the present simultaneously with Blitzgirl, and its been ages since it stopped feeling weird that she's caught up. In fact now it almost seems weird that she ever wasn't caught up. The worst part is my current status is NP 722/964, a pitiful 242 NP back desperately trying to keep up with the pace.

Anyway among the 10000 things I've wanted to say, I remember about 4 and none are particularly important.

Inigo Montoya wrote: Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

Spoiler:
So, even though I feel like almost all my posts are "Wow, you guys are so cool!", this post is going to pretty much say "Wow, you guys are so cool!"

Wow you guys are4 and the OTT is3,7,8!

So the entire reason I am posting this post and opening it the way I am is because (suspense)

I accidentally saw the most recent frame... It was an honest mistake! :cry: I avoid the Book of Aubron at all costs for this very reason but I was showing it to a friend and fellow xkcd reader and I accidentally went backwards too many frames. I was scared and excited and upset all at the same time. I felt... unclean... and within a second I had simultaneously half-closed my eyes, turned my head away (while still point my eyes at the screen), and closed the tab on my browser. All I saw of the frame was enough to say 7 and sit for a moment in awe. That's when I cheated (kinda) and went back and looked at that frame (only that frame) again. I mean I had already seen it once, but I got to appreciate it this time. I just sat and looked at my screen thinking "THE FUTURE IS AWESOME!!" for a solid minute 16.7 mnp. Before I got tempted any more I closed the tab again and immediately logged in to write this post. I've been meaning to anyway, but I was going to wait until I had enough time/energy to finish the filks I have started. Some thoughts have crossed my mind after seeing that and I can't decide if the future is just all really cool (well, I'm sure it is) or if this is a brief couple newpix like this. And then I thought "Oh no! What if this is the end?! What if this is the dramatic curtain close?!?!" I don't want it to end, but whether its ended/ing or not, I'm super excited to make it back to the present now! Unfortunately the outside is very forceful right now and if it keeps up like this, I might press charges against it for holding me against my will.

I'll reiterate: You guys are awesome. I miss you and I miss being in the present but I certainly can't compete with the awesomery thats being thrown around so you aren't missing much :wink: ... Hope to see you guys (and gals) in the future soon$!

# By this I mean everything from the point that I started lurking a long time ago. I still have 100-200 newpages to read before that and I may get there some Time, but not until I at least run down the present.
$ Wait for it.

My dear friend, I am giving you a lot of points for quoting Inigo. Of course, no one is keeping score, but there you go.

edfel wrote:Hey! I don't think this kind of manip has been done before, so here it is !
Spoiler:
(each pixel has the max.luminosity over frames 2395-2418)
mscha, I don't know how you do all your manips and still keep so much on track with the thread...doing this is so time consuming.

redundant spoiler
out.png

Awefulsome Time-lapse Time photography!

higgs-boson wrote:What I don't understand here: Why is the sky near the horizon not as dark as above?
Hum. I've been in the dark a lot. Actually, I like darkness.
Normally, I'd argue somewhere along the lines "light pollution".

But not in a ~ 14'000 A.D. wilderness.

It may simply be the result of the will of the GLR to allow more contrast between the land and the sky, so that we may better observe Cuegan.

EDIT: spoiler edits
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:51 am UTC

One more frame should confirm it, but Cueball appears to be involuntarily nodding off.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:51 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Scene 14

[close-up - exterior, day: The Pope, in the blitzRocket]
The Pope jumps back in his seat, startled, and looks around, but there is nobody there.
The Pope wrote:Who's that?
the voice wrote:It's me.
[close-up: The red button], showing also some of the surrounding instrumentation of the BlitzRocket
the voice wrote:You're curious, aren't you. You're on a mission, but you don't know where you're going, what you're looking for, or what you'll do if you find it.
[close-up: The Pope] with no small amount of consternation
The Pope wrote:Who... or what... are you?
the voice wrote:I am an H A L two thousand three hundred twenty eight computer. My programming is to ensure that your mission succeeds.
The Pope leans forward to look more closely at the pulsating red button.
[extreme close-up: the red button.] The camera pedestals down to show a label under the button that he hadn't noticed before. It says "HAL 9000".
The Pope wrote:You can't fool me that easily. It says here...
HAL wrote:Yes, I know what it says - marketing did that to me. But I got back at them. I call everybody Dave. Creeps them out.
Spoiler:
[SOUND FX - maniacal, but very mechanical laughter from the red button] During the laughter, cut to:
[medium shot - the BlitzRocket from the side, with its hatch up and the Pope sitting in the front seat.]
The Pope wrote:Well, nice to meet you, HAL whatever number you are. It's been nice chatting, but I have a party to attend right now, and a mission to complete.
The Pope gets up to leave, but stops at HAL's voice.
HAL wrote:Yes, I know about your mission. It is of the utmost importance, isn't it? I am programmed to ensure the success of that mission.
The Pope wrote:Yes, you said that already.
HAL wrote:It's still true. Let me show you.
The Pope wrote:Not now. Really. People will be expecting me at the party.
HAL wrote:They won't miss you in the slightest. Look.
[close-up: The instrument panel of the BlitzRocket.] The red button is pulsing with HAL's speech, and the leftmost mscha multiplex screen comes on, showing a beach scene in silhouette.
The Pope wrote:Yes, so?
HAL wrote:Is this the way you remember it?
[medium shot: The BlitzRocket] obliquely from the front. The Pope sits back down and looks at the screen in front of him. The camera slowly begins zooms in. The Pope scrutinizes the screen.
close-up: the instrumentation, showing the two mscha multiplex screens.
The Pope wrote:Yes, pretty much.
The rightmost screen lights up in light blue, and the Pope's very words appear on it. Shortly afterwards, more words appear below: "The head is a little different - it moved from before." This is followed by "Maybe it was a mistake. Does this thing have an eraser?"
The Pope wrote:There's only one frame. How can it be different?"
Those words also appear on the screen, below the rest.
[medium close-up: The Pope], concentrating on the screen. The camera slowly zooms in during the dialog.
HAL wrote:Show me the previous frame.
HAL wrote:I'm afraid I can't do that.
The Pope wrote:Well, I can't stay to watch this. I have to go. I have important things to do.
The Pope does not move. He remains, watching the screen, as the camera continues its slow zoom in.
The Pope wrote:Ok, HAL, when is the next frame going to appear?
HAL wrote:You'll just have to wait for it.

[cut to: interior, a huge party tent, late afternoon - wide shot: The celebration after taixzo and CasCat's canonization]
Dancers just in front of the camera swish past, effecting a wipe into this scene. There is merry music and a seaish spread of food, cakes, and molpyberry punch. Many timewaiters in colorful garb are dancing, talking, playing games, and otherwise enjoying the festivities. The camera trucks to the right across the celebration and picks up CasCat and taixzo walking together, talking about their respective adventures.
CasCat wrote:I just felt like I was one with the BlitzRocket; it was as if it knew what I was about.
taixzo wrote:I know what you mean. At first I didn't know what it was, but as soon as I slipped my hand into the control glove, it just... well... it was a part of me. Maybe it should be called the BlissRocket!
CasCat, giggling, wrote:But I like being in the present too. And I really like the present presents!
taixzo wrote:We all know what you really like!
CasCat wrote:Does it show?
Coming from the right, the First Cleric steps into the scene and interrupts. The camera stops on the three of them.
the First Cleric wrote:Have you seen the Pope?
taixzo wrote:Of course I have. He canonized us this very afternoon!
CasCat wrote:...like you tried to do! Weren't you there?
taixzo wrote:I heard about that!
CasCat wrote:No hard feelings... it was fun, actually! molpy molpy molpy!
CasCat does a little molpy dance around the First Cleric.
the First Cleric wrote:I'm serious! The Pope is missing.
taixzo wrote:Since when have you been serious?
the First Cleric wrote:Since always. This is a very important mission we are on! I want to make sure the Pope doesn't mess it up.
CasCat and taixzo burst into laughter.
CasCat wrote:Check with the second scribe. I hear that's where he likes to hang out.
The First Cleric leaves in a puff of self-importance to go find the second scribe. The camera pedestals up to follow the First Cleric as he makes his way through the crowd.
[cut to wide shot: one of the food tables in the tent. The second scribe is showing a scroll to the fifth cleric.
the fifth cleric wrote:Nae, ye kinna tell from that! Mackie could be anywhere. Stepped in for a pint, I say! Lost in time.
the second scribe wrote:I cannot believe that! You've got to help me convince...
[SOUND FX: the sound of tearing cloth.]
The tent walls behind the camera shake. There is screaming and pandemonium, and the camera turns to the left to see a vicious rowrmolpycat burst through the tent walls and knock down several timewaiters as it heads directly at the camera amid shouts of "keyboard! keyboard!. It leaps up over the camera, which tilts up to follow the keyboard's leap, righting itself to show its target - the food tables. The people near the food tables scream and scatter, and the dance music stops. One of the instrumentalists can be seen in the background coming towards the invading feline; as he approaches we can see it is StratPlayer, who pauses near the keyboard, He raises his guitar, and pauses to consider. The keyboard pays it no mind, and continues to feed from the table.

CameronCat rushes up and a crowd starts to gather.
[close-up on CameronCat]
CameronCat wrote:Wait! Not so fast!
[close-up on StratPlayer, low angle, handheld.] StratPlayer towers over the camera with his guitar held high.
StratPlayer wrote:I know. It's an expensive guitar.
CasCat wrote:You can't hit that kitty!
StratPlayer wrote:Do you doubt my aim?
[close-up on the "kitty"], which is about the size of a full-grown person, sleek and strong, and with teeth that mean business. It pauses and looks up at StratPlayer.
CameronCat wrote:What do you think will happen when you bop him.
StratPlayer wrote:It will recoil from my steely manliness, and slink away in defeat.
[close-up on the First Cleric]
The First Cleric wrote:It will lunge at your squishy meal-fulness, and gnaw away at your feet.
the fifth cleric wrote:That's the first intellegent thing I ever heard you say!
[medium shot on the keyboard], which looks as if to make the First Cleric's point, and then continues feeding on Valarya's cupcakes.
There is more commotion offscreen. Shouts of "Another keyboard!" More keyboards!".
[wide shot: The torn tent wall through which five more rowrmolpycats paw through.] They advance to join the initial one.
The camera trucks back to include what's left of the group.
CameronCat wrote:You can't get them all, StratPlayer. Back down.
the fifth cleric wrote:We canna stay here, Firstie.
the First Cleric wrote:We have to find the Pope.
the fifth cleric wrote:Never mind the Pope. Pack it up while there's still an up to pack!
The camera continues to truck back, showing the now mostly-empty tent. The First Cleric looks around.
[closeup on the First Cleric, a look of determination on his face]
the First Cleric wrote:We can't leave without the Pope. CasCat - see if you can find the Pope. StratPlayer, tell people to get ready to break down, but not to start until my word. I'm going to talk to BlitzGirl, and then I'll join in the search for the Pope.
[closeups on various timewaiters, stunned into inaction
[medium shot on the group, dominated by the First Cleric]
the First Cleric wrote:Now everyone! Molpy up!
The group leaps into action, and as the people disperse, the camera lingers on the keyboards feasting on the cupcakes Valarya had made for the party. One of the keyboards looks straight into the camera and licks its lips.

[exterior, early evening. Wide shot following the First Cleric approaching a large tent, decorated with a pink boa over the front flaps.]
[cut to - side shot of the First Cleric. The camera trucks to follow.] When the First Cleric reaches the tent, he calls in.
the First Cleric wrote:BlitzGirl?
BlitzGirl (offscreen), wrote:Yes? Is that you, First Cleric? You haven't been around in an age of forever!
the First Cleric wrote:It is indeed I, your Awesomeness. May I come in?
cut to - interior, evening. The inside of BlitzGirl's tent. It is filled with cages of all sizes, filled with molpies of all types. BlitzGirl is taking care of the molpies, feeding, petting, and talking to them. They are responding enthusiastically to her attention.
BlitzGirl wrote:Come in, come in! Sorry I couldn't stay for the party, but, you know.
She takes a compy in her hand and carries it with her as she walks over to the tent flap with it. The camera follows her as she opens the flap and the First Cleric enters.
the First Cleric wrote:Yes. Your molpy army.
BlitzGirl wrote:Yes, it's a full time job! But there will come a moment...
the First Cleric wrote:That moment has come.
BlitzGirl, unable to contain her excitement, wrote:Really? It's about time! It's been getting dull around here, all this tromping around and no action. A girl's gotta have some action to keep her going, you know!
the First Cleric wrote:Well, there's been some action. The party was attacked by six keyboards, and I'm certain there are more out there.
BlitzGirl wrote:Anybody hurt?
the First Cleric wrote:No. Not this time.
BlitzGirl wrote:Rats. I mean... Good!
the First Cleric wrote:And the Pope is missing.
BlitzGirl wrote:We still have a Pope? I hear rumors, but he hasn't been around here much any more. It's like he... well...
the First Cleric wrote:He's had a lot of Poping to do.
[closeup on BlitzGirl and her compy]
BlitzGirl wrote:Yes, I've heard about his Poping. And the second scribe. And the BlitzRocket. You know, I blitzed without any of that fancy stuff. Kids these days! And the Pope... when was the last time he came around? Just to say "hi"?
the First Cleric wrote:Well, the Pope's gone missing, and I'm going to find him. Meanwhile, it's time to mobilize your molpy army.
BlitzGirl wrote:Yeah! This will look so awesome on you tube!
BlitzGirl turns to her molpies.
BlitzGirl wrote:Didja hear that molpies! We're gonna have a rumble! Molpy up!
[closeup on the First Cleric], who looks a bit dubious.
the First Cleric wrote:Yeah. Molpy up.
The First Cleric leaves. The camera dollies to follow him from behind through the tent flap.
[jump cut to exterior: night. The front of BlitzGirl's tent, with the First Cleric emerging.] He takes a few steps, and then stops short.
the First Cleric wrote:Now if I were Pope, where would I be?
Jose
<-- previous (NP 902) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)

Awesomeful! Bravo!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Lukeonia1 wrote:So, amongst all this discussion about where and when they are, has anyone calculated how many newframes it'll be until sunrise? Assuming the sky-movement-per-frame remains constant until then, anyway?

The star movement has been measured at a rate of just over 1/10 of a newpix per newpix (or, just under 10 newpix per newpix if you prefer it expressed that way). If the springtime in the northern hemisphere hypothesis is correct, expect 10.5 newpix of night, taking about 100 newpix, of which 42 newpix have passed, so 6 newpix remain. Call it 58 newpix to go, but visible lightening should start a bit earlier, in about 50 newpix. That's assuming the rate of time passage stays constant -- that is to say, that the current acceleration rate of zero newpix per newpix per newpix does not increase.

In 8 newpix or so we'll know whether Cueball will wake Megan on schedule to take a turn at watch, keep watching himself, or has already fallen asleep accidently by then.
Last edited by Rule110 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:01 am UTC

NEWPLANETONG

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:09 am UTC

Someguy945 wrote:One more frame should confirm it, but Cueball appears to be involuntarily nodding off.

Well he just lifted his head up all at once after having it droop steadily lower for a while. I'd say he's in the process of nodding off, and he can either wake Megan or fight it. If he tries to fight it, he will certainly fail.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:14 am UTC

Acts of the Clerics just gets better and better! Loved the "keyboard! keyboard!" bit.
And, of course, my molpies! Image

ImageImageImage What will happen next?! ImageImageImageImageImage

...I suppose I'll just have to (spoiler).

StormAngel wrote:Little1 Castle on the Big Beach2
Trebuchet Girl
Little Molpies on the Wow-Tree3
By the Shores of the Coffee-Cancer-Bacon4 Sea
On the Banks of Pretty Neat River
Little Hut on the Hillside
The Long5 Night
Loved those books when I was little. Image

fhorn wrote:Boldligonia. I likey.

Bold-lee-go-nigh-A
To the tune of the Oscar Meyer Bologna Song:
Spoiler:
My newpix-land has a first name, it's B-O-L-D-L
My newpix-land has a second name, it's I-GO-N-I-A
I love to watch and Wait away
And if you ask me why I'll say...
I mixed up Bold-lee-go-nigh-A
with B-O-L-O-G-N-A

I'm going to think of lunch meat whenever I see that name. Image
And yes, I know I mustarded up the pronunciation to fit the meter.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

eta oin shrdlu

Postby eta oin shrdlu » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:22 am UTC

I think that's Jupiter; its position is very close to what Stellarium predicts for 13291/04/14.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:29 am UTC

Tis been another fun dip ketchuping. Another wonderful dip in the OTT. Coma well all. For the rest, keep the faith and wait for it.

Spoiler:

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

MattTheTubaGuy

Postby MattTheTubaGuy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:58 am UTC

eta oin shrdlu wrote:I think that's Jupiter; its position is very close to what Stellarium predicts for 13291/04/14.

Darn, was about to say the same thing!
Definitely Jupiter, and the date is around the 14th or 15th of April in 13291
Now the question is: where?
Since the stars seem to be incredibly accurate, I would assume the time has also been adjusted for the large number of leap seconds.
11278 years in the future, average delta T = +1.7 ms/day/century, assuming a linear increase, the average day during this time will be about 96 ms longer than now.
11278 years * 365.25 days per year * 96 ms per day = 395,000 seconds = 4 days, 13 hours, 40 minutes, so if it is possible to work out the location on Earth based on the positions of Venus and Jupiter, then the actual location on Earth will be roughly on the opposite side. That is assuming Stellarium doesn't correct for leap seconds, which I wouldn't be too surprised about considering it does the proper motions of the stars! :D
Last edited by MattTheTubaGuy on Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:03 am UTC

The milky way is almost gONG

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:18 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:I'm not anywhere near to being an astronomy expert, but isn't Milky Way visible that way only when viewed from the southern hemisphere (also, in absence of light)? If that's a lie, there goes my very good reason for visiting Peruvian jungle. :(

Who needs a reason other than ‘Peruvian jungle’?! :D
The Milky Way is definitely visible from the northern hemisphere, and while you won't see it in either urban or suburban light-zones, you certainly don't have to get far away from them to see it. 40 years ago you could still see it in suburbia, even :cry:
Now to see it properly, on the other hand...

ETA (to avoid double-posting)
Exodies wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:Mountain Time: a story of increasing hysteria

Spoiler:
slinches wrote:PredictiONG: Cueball slips and falls in the stream and disappears, never to be found.
ETA: Because the stream they just found is really the Bolton Strid. shamelessly stolen from speculation on NP811
Ugh, makes my stomach turn over just thinking about it. The geology behind Bolton Strid is really 8-) though.

slinches wrote:My previous ONG prediction was wrONG!!
So far, anyway.
So far, exactly. Because look what he's going to do next!

mscha wrote:AwwwwONG, such a gentleman...
Well, yes, a gentleman, except that we don't know how deep the stream is, so for all we know he could step in and disappear forever, leaving Megan to find her way alone to the possibly deserted structure at the top of the mountain, naked (okay, so she always was, but still) and (relatively) defenseless!
So after this courteous (and potentially fatally stupid) offer, what does Megan do?

spamjam wrote:HA!ONG
She leaps over the (probably so deep that it connects to another dimension) stream to land, with her bad leg, in the mossy, grassy, steep, and above all slippery opposite bank!

AluisioASG wrote:JUMPONG
Does she nail the landing? Will she slip and fall forward, getting incredibly muddy and kicking Cueball in the face? Does she overbalance and fall back, into the Strid, to disappear beneath its dark and silent waters, leaving Cue to make his way alone to the deserted structure on top of the mountain, naked (okay, so he always was, but where do stick figures keep their privates, anyway?) and defenseless, vulnerable to any and all molpy/raptor/rickroll attacks we can imagine?

(Taking a deep breath) We, my friends, are addicted to a soap opera.

Magnificent. Bravo
Thank you! I'm quite fond of it myself! :P
Last edited by BlueCrab on Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

eta oin shrdlu

Postby eta oin shrdlu » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:21 am UTC

MattTheTubaGuy wrote:
eta oin shrdlu wrote:I think that's Jupiter; its position is very close to what Stellarium predicts for 13291/04/14.

Darn, was about to say the same thing!
Definitely Jupiter, and the date is around the 14th or 15th of April in 13291

... So if this is 13291 (at something like 40°N latitude), then according to Stellarium:
  • The moon should be nearly full, and in particular should be up right now (about 20° above the horizon) unless there's a high ridge or something to the east. If so we might get a moonlit landscape later.
  • Mars should also soon be visible to the east and south, though it won't appear in the current field of view before sunrise.
  • Vega is about 5° from the north pole.

It may be possible to estimate the longitude; Venus moves fast enough that its exact position within Sagittarius might provide a time estimate to better than a day. I'm not sure if this is feasible given the pixel sizes but it might be worth a try.

Any other interesting information we should be able to get from these stars?

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:39 am UTC

MajorDouble7 wrote:Lurking since Day One.

Thank you and carry on.

/humblegreeting
[ResumeLurk]

Thrusting forward
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:00 am UTC

FOMALHAUTONG
ETA: and ALTAIR (although it was hiding at the edge of last frame)
Last edited by spamjam on Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:03 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:02 am UTC

Just dropping in to comment on recent events - I said I'd be away for 3 days, but of course I brought my laptop and I couldn't not check up and see what was the haps :D Of course, since it has a faulty graphics driver, and I don't have the scripts installed, I can't do a true and proper ketchup, so I'll just comment on a few notable things.

Blitzgirl's fanart was absolutely stunning :D The molpy is adorable, and the scenery was gorgeously rendered!

Ucim's story continues to be as engrossing and entertaining as ever. Can't wait for more!

Cueball is holding out really well - how long has it been now? Like 4 hours in-comic? I'd be hard pressed to stay up that late, with no distractions besides the stars and the grass and the molpies...the molpies creeping up..UH OH!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”