1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

MattTheTubaGuy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby MattTheTubaGuy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:35 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:Stitching time!

np2394 - np2443. I decided to stitch stick with spherical projection as it looks more regular and makes more sense:
Spoiler:
2394-2443_stitch_sphere.png

Nice job!
I hope you don't mind if I use your image to mark the constellations :) :
Last edited by MattTheTubaGuy on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:37 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
edfel wrote:Hey guys, did you notice the javascript !?
I mean, actually, if it was possible to see the meteor live (which I didn't, sadly), then the javascript was able to retrieve these frames without overloading the server. Shouldn't it be possible to execute the same code for newpixbot?

It could, potentially, but I'm not gonna write it. Image
This was most likely a one-time event. And at least newpixbot caught it, so that y'all otters could go and check their cache, so that we could complete the list. In other words, the system works. Image
(If there are more frames than these five, an enhanced newpixbot wouldn't have caught them either, since it'd be doing the exact same thing.)

mscha wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
edfel wrote:Hey guys, did you notice the javascript !?
I mean, actually, if it was possible to see the meteor live (which I didn't, sadly), then the javascript was able to retrieve these frames without overloading the server. Shouldn't it be possible to execute the same code for newpixbot?

I was about to say the same thing. :) How often does the JavaScript check for updates now?

It doesn't really check every so often, but it opens an HTTP connection to a “streaming” script, that pushes an update once in a while.

I have now actually written a little script that does this Javascript-style streaming thing. For now it just logs the hashes it gets, but if this proves stable, then I might ask newpixbot politely to start using this.

If you want, I could send you the script I use. It's a pretty simple bash script, so I don't know if that could work with NPB or not. And, it's prone to needing the occasional restart, which I suspect is server flakiness rather than the script itself. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to add something that restarts it if it hasn't gotten a NewPix within the last 70 minutes, or something like that. And even if you couldn't incorporate bash very well, it's at least an OK example of the approach to use.

Added: Hi, BlitzGirl! I'm looking at a 350 page Blitz right now, so I won't be in the present anytime soon, except when something crazy happens like this. Although, assuming schizoblitz means what it sounds like it means, I'm considering taking such an approach. One of my OCD quirks is that when I fall a bit behind (not just here, but in many other fora, comments, Facebook, email, etc.), I get intimidated by the pile before me, and avoid it, but I can't bear to read the new stuff without catching up with the old*, so it just gets bigger and bigger, and more and more intimidating, and usually I just eventually give up, mark them all as read (or the platform equivalent), and join in the present.

* lest I fail to grok the new vocabulary, like "schizoblitz" or "molpy" or these newfangled uses of superscript
Last edited by KarMann on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:41 am UTC

KarMann wrote:FYI, my script which sucks down the JavaScript data feed seems to have gotten all the images I've seen listed so far, and no more. So, we likely have all there are. The intervals between those 5 frames seem to have been 20s, 10s, 20s, 11s, but that could have been skewed by the way the server sorts which streams to send the data to first.

In general, I think mscha's NewPixBot is better than my script, but in this particular case, it does look like my script was much better. Obviously, the best thing of all is to keep them both running, and between the two of us (and Aubronwood & Geekwagon) we should be able to catch just about anything Great Lord Randall throws at us.*

* No, GLR, that wasn't a challenge! Please, no!

Aubronwood seems to have the meteor frames now, but no adjustment for timing, so it is calling the current frame the start of day 98.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:42 am UTC

Thought I'd properly animate Cueball's abduction...
Redundaspoiler is a redundant redundaspoiler
Spoiler:
redundakitty3.jpg

cue-f-o animated.gif

Whoa, it's all mustarded up in the smaller version...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:44 am UTC

I had another good look at the meteor frames, and I though I spotted something in the middle of the frame where the trail is the brightest, right under the meteor trail.
Spoiler:
So I zoomed in, brightened and ENHANCE!d a bit:
Spoiler:
OMR!!1!

ETA: Nice animation, yappobiscuits! Thanks for the confirmation, KarMann!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:46 am UTC

Bye, Cueball! Have fun with the aliens! Image

Poor E.T. should phone the moon; we can barely see him without it.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:58 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:We are not assuming that we're facing exactly west. In fact, the current apparent consensus (or at least, majority position) is that we are facing a little bit north of west, and that west is approximately toward the trunk of the prominent tree. Why we think that is a little hard to explain, but here goes.

Seaish explantion follows.
Spoiler:
Suppose you wanted to draw pictures of how the stars move. You go out on a clear night with a toilet paper tube (because you want to mask out distractions, and you don't trust lenses), and you look through it (for hours at a time, long enough for the stars to move a long way in the sky) in different directions. As it happens, you're in the northern hemisphere at a moderate latitude, like in central Illinois. (If you were elsewhere, such as Australia, the individual pictures would look different, but the overall phenomena described would work the same.)

If you look northwest, you'll see the stars moving like this:
starviews_nw.png

Why? Because you're looking at the lower left quadrant of this:
Which is the northern stars circling counterclockwise around a hub near Polaris. which is visible to you in the northern sky. (That is, if you point your toilet paper tube due north, and up at about a 40 degree angle, you'll see the North Star and other stars making counterclocwise circles around it, like near the top right of the above photo). That hub is the projection of the earth's axis of rotation onto the apparent celestial sphere.

If you look southwest, you'll see the stars moving like this instead:
starviews_sw.png

This is because, like in the northwest view, you're seeing stars rotating around a hub, in this case the celestial south pole. It looks different, though, for two reasons. One is that in this case the hub is well below the horizon, so you're seeing the upper right quadrant of the rotation instead of the lower left quadrant. The other is that the rotation is clockwise instead of counterclockwise. (The celestial sphere is one big rotating thing that all rotates in the same direction, but you're now looking toward the other end of it. Imagine standing inside a giant barrel placed horizontally and tumbling, that is, rotating around its axis. These used to be commmon in funhouses. Suppose the barrel is rotating counterclockwise as you face toward the end of the barrel that's ahead of you. If you turn around and look behind you, it will be rotating counterclockwise. Clockwise and counterclockwise are always relative to your facing. Even the hands of a conventional clock would go counterclockwise, if the workings of the clock were transparent and you looked at the hands from behind the clock face.)

Finally, you look due west. You'll see the stars moving like this:
starviews_w.png

These stars are near the celestial equator. They're making circles too, just like the northern stars and the southern stars, but for these circles, you're standing at the center of the circles. You are standing on (or so near as to make literally no difference at all, a mere few thousand miles compared to the effectively infinite distances of the stars) the axis they're rotating around. So their paths appear to be straight lines, just like a disc appears to be a straight line when you look at it edge-on, and just like the horizon appears to be a straight line even though it is encircling you.

However, if you could measure more closely (you'd have to mount your toilet paper tube on a sturdy tripod, instead of free-handing it resulting in the wiggly and not very accurate lines I drew), only stars that are exactly on the celestial equator make exactly straight lines. For the ones a little south (left) of the equator, you're standing a little to the right of the centers of their circles, so they'll appear to curve away from you just a little to the left as they set. And similarly for the ones a little north (right) of the equator; they'll appear to curve away from you just a little to the right as they set.

Now, having studied the motions of the stars in three different directions, you decide you want to plaint a big panorama painting that shows all that motion on one wide canvas. You don't want to distort anything; you want the painting to show what you actually see, so star trails way to the left of the painting (southwest) will curve more and more to the left as they get nearer the horizon, and star trails way to the right will curve more and more to the right as they get nearer the horizon, and star trails near the middle (west) will be nearly straight. You want a realistic painting (no cubism), so you realize that you need to show this as a continuous change across the width of the canvas, from left-curving to straight to right-curving.

As a result, the star trails you paint will not be parallel to one another. The trails will squeeze together near the center of the painting (especially, along a line from the lower left to the upper right corners), and seem to spread apart at the lower right and upper left corners, in the same way (and for the same reason) that many world map projections seem to squeeze the continents together near the equator and spread them apart nearer the poles.

If instead of a very wide panorama, you want only a typical wide angle camera view generally toward the west, the squeezing and spreading will be less dramatic, but you'll still see, going left to right across the frame, star trails curving to the left, then curving less, then straight, then curving right, then curving right more.

The effect will be something like this:

Note that this picture is looking east, where everything is rising instead of setting, and therefore is also tilted the opposite way, but it works the same way. This link to the image source has an explanation of what it shows and how it was made. Quoting the page, the image "shows very well how the stars near the celestial Equator trace lines that are almost straight, while the stars at the North and South of the Equator, respectively, appear to draw circles between the celestial North and South poles."

Now, I turn your attention to edfel's excellent "time lapse" composite image of the OTC:

It shows all the things I've been talking about. The star trails curve to the right (as they get closer to setting) toward the right (more northerly) side of the frame. The farther right, the more they curve, but where they cross the tree they're curving very little, and the (rather faint) star trail that crosses near the base of the trunk of the tree looks very straight. The trails farthest left (also rather faint) curve to the left instead, though you might have to use a straightedge or a line drawing program to see it.

This makes me confident (though not absolutely certain) that the celestial equator crosses near the base of the tree trunk, and where that meets the horizon (which might not be exactly where it meets the visible ground) is true west.

There is another possibility: that the view is distorted; that is to say, distorted in a different way than what we usually expect. It would be possible, for instance, to find a projection (or physically craft a lens) that creates a view where one of the curved lines toward the right becomes straight. Then, we'd be fooled into thinking that's the celestial equator instead. That's why we sometimes qualify our conclusions with "...unless it's a projection error."

*puts down chalk* Any questions?

Wouldn't you place west somewhat to the right of the tree? It looks to me as if there's enough topography that we're looking at a skyline that is somewhat above the geodetic horizon. But we also haven't corrected for atmospheric refraction (which has the effect that you can see stars that are a fair angle below the horizon) so maybe the two effects will cancel out.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:00 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:After sixty-odd newpix of starry starry nighttime in the OTC, I have to assume that the thought of OTTifying the song "Vincent (Starry Starry Night)" by Don McLean has occurred to just about every Waiter who's ever heard the song.
Spoiler:
And yet, as richly poetic as it is (it should probably appear in the dictionary next to the word "poignant"), the song doesn't lend itself to lighthearted filking. I assume that's the reason others have shied away.

So, forget lighthearted. This is about Randall watching me watching Cueball watching Megan, with stars and deep time enfolding all.

Celestial Sphere (Starry Starry Night)

Starry, starry night
Tumbling in a crystal sky
Ghostly river drifting by
As constellations wheel into the west
Watching Megan rest
Wondering where their path will lead
Fretting on tomorrow's need
To find a friend beyond this empty land

Now I understand
Why you turn from every star
The mystery's not the sea, it's who you are
So tell me why you walked so far
You cannot see me, my Time's in your past
I wonder, did it last?

Starry, starry night
Black of night on mountains green
Predators a-prowl unseen
And only sticks and stones to keep you whole
Asking in your soul
How far will you need you go
To learn what you already know
To touch the future, simply touch her hand

Now I understand
The mystery's not the sky, it's who you are
You cannot see me, my Time's in your past
I wonder, did it last?

For I've waited for you
Thinking your quest was true
Then while the sun was out of sight on that starry starry night
We saw the truth, as Waiters sometimes do
But I could have told you, Randall
Our Time was never meant for us to wait until it's through

Starry, starry night
Watch the restless planets set
Trailing veils of faint regret
For castles left behind upon the beach
Reasons out of reach
Farther than the stars above
All that we can grasp is love
To light the night behind us as we go

Now I think I know
The mystery's not the world, it's who you are
And you can see me, though I don't know how
Perhaps there's only... now?

I sang along as I read, with shivers going up and down my spine.
All hail the GOAT-poet-astronomer of NP971!

Then @yappobiscuits - hurrah for Poohetry
Then @buffygirl - couldn't pull up the tune in my head but your Viva la Vida makes beautiful poetry too!
And @BytEfLUSh - I am happy to look into the OTTification but someone who really knows the song well may beat me to it.

Happy to see our newest cometributors (haven't learned your handles yet, oops!) and members here, and glad to see charlie_grumbles even by pigeon post!

Sorry for the brevity, cell phoning this in.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:04 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Thought I'd properly animate Cueball's abduction...
Spoiler:

Nice animation! But I fear Megan's state of health is deteriorating. She looks quite pale at the end... :P
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:06 am UTC

If my ENHANCE skills were better, I'd make the meteor[ite] a Kryptonian spacepod.

A very light, spur-of-the-comatime-moment filk of When You Wish Upon a Star:

When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference where you are
Anything Munroe desires
Will come to you.

If your Megan's in a dream
No sky map is too extreme
As dreamers do.

Wait is kind,
It brings to those to love
The explanation of
The ε7 setting.

Leaping molpy from the white?
Great Lord Randall does you right.
You'll last the night.

Edit: I noticed this unintentional haiku by Edgar Rice Burroughs that seems appropriate:

Then the sun went down
and darkness that could almost
be felt engulfed us.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:10 am UTC

TONGUED...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:12 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:A very light, spur-of-the-comatime-moment filk of When You Wish Upon a Star

Very ⁴! Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:13 am UTC

OMR, the things I miss while on vacation! A quick-as-you-like meteor sequence which defied all known laws of newpix delivery, a return of the revered KarMann, and a wonderful hat from Vytron! Not to mention numerous wonderful filks! (Filkery? Filkings? Ottodies?)

Meanwhile, even while not on the thread my thoughts keep turning to it. I built a sandcastle on the beach today - and I can only conclude that Cuegan are wizards. Building such straight walls and large structures? There must be some magic involved. I could barely manage their first castle, stretched my limits to expand it with its second tower and connecting wall, and utterly failed to go beyond that in terms of replication. I have a newfound respect for their skills, in any case.

Maybe tonight I'll go out on the deck of my hotel room and look at the stars (assuming there are no clouds, which is an unlikely proposition on the shores of a Washington beach). The OTT has reminded me how I used to love astronomy, which I haven't thought much about since I was 8 or 9.

Happy Waiting, maybe I'll do a proper ketchup when I get back. Until then, ChronosDragon out Image

Case

Postby Case » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:16 am UTC

Well, since we're currently underneath the stars, watching shadows melt, which is my favourite place and time to be, and I've also noticed a fellow countryman here in the OTT, I guess I'll de-lurk myself. Too bad I don't have any unnoticed meteor pictures like the newposters before me to make this post worth it.

Anyway, even though I've only registered recently and pretty much out of convenience to keep better track of my ketchups, I was there at the dawn of the third newpix of Cuegankind. I witnessed the first semencaffeinecancerbabies crawl from the sea (which is big). I've seen the creation of Book of Aubron. I waited half an hour for one darkening pixel (and then did it again - Gee Willikers). I watched in astonisment the destruction of the castles before The Fading came upon it all. I've walked on the banks of the pretty neat river which doesn't look broken but is bigger than it looked (although not as big as the sea). I've seen molpies and facebugs play in the shade of the trees that know what they're doing and snakes and raptorcats attack the Cuegankind.

So, yeah. Hi. I'll be in the stern, waiting for...in the stern.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:21 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:OMR, the things I miss while on vacation! A quick-as-you-like meteor sequence which defied all known laws of newpix delivery, a return of the revered KarMann, and a wonderful hat from Vytron! Not to mention numerous wonderful filks! (Filkery? Filkings? Ottodies?)

Meanwhile, even while not on the thread my thoughts keep turning to it. I built a sandcastle on the beach today - and I can only conclude that Cuegan are wizards. Building such straight walls and large structures? There must be some magic involved. I could barely manage their first castle, stretched my limits to expand it with its second tower and connecting wall, and utterly failed to go beyond that in terms of replication. I have a newfound respect for their skills, in any case.

Maybe tonight I'll go out on the deck of my hotel room and look at the stars (assuming there are no clouds, which is an unlikely proposition on the shores of a Washington beach). The OTT has reminded me how I used to love astronomy, which I haven't thought much about since I was 8 or 9.

Happy Waiting, maybe I'll do a proper ketchup when I get back. Until then, ChronosDragon out Image

Your mistake was in using sand.

Case wrote:Well, since we're currently underneath the stars, watching shadows melt, which is my favourite place and time to be, and I've also noticed a fellow countryman here in the OTT, I guess I'll de-lurk myself. Too bad I don't have any unnoticed meteor pictures like the newposters before me to make this post worth it.

Anyway, even though I've only registered recently and pretty much out of convenience to keep better track of my ketchups, I was there at the dawn of the third newpix of Cuegankind. I witnessed the first semencaffeinecancerbabies crawl from the sea (which is big). I've seen the creation of Book of Aubron. I waited half an hour for one darkening pixel (and then did it again - Gee Willikers). I watched in astonisment the destruction of the castles before The Fading came upon it all. I've walked on the banks of the pretty neat river which doesn't look broken but is bigger than it looked (although not as big as the sea). I've seen molpies and facebugs play in the shade of the trees that know what they're doing and snakes and raptorcats attack the Cuegankind.

So, yeah. Hi. I'll be in the stern, waiting for...in the stern.

Welcome.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:27 am UTC

Happy Delurking, Case!

ChronosDragon - I figured since you were newly hatted I would update your smiley accordingly: Image
Worry not the rest of you, the second batch of smileys with all the requested ones is well underway!
Attachment:
Spoiler:
OTTSmileys-chronosdragonHAT.gif
OTTSmileys-chronosdragonHAT.gif (936 Bytes) Viewed 11904 times

SBN wrote:Your mistake was in using sand.

Yes, semencoffeecancerbaconbabies is well known to be a much better building material.
Angelastic wrote:A very light, spur-of-the-comatime-moment filk of When You Wish Upon a Star:
Spoiler:
Anything Munroe desires
Will come to you.

As dreamers do.

Wait is kind,
The explanation of
The ε7 setting.

You'll last the night.

Edit: I noticed this unintentional haiku by Edgar Rice Burroughs that seems appropriate:

Then the sun went down
be felt engulfed us.

Lovely! :D

And look, I now have a year's supply of posts!
And with that, I must coma. Good Long Night, otters all!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:36 am UTC

There's still minor molping going on on the right end of the frame...
Here's an animation of the past 25 frames:

(Looks like there's a molpy hole on the left side of this image.)

ETA: I wish I could make it more exciting, but this is all I've got...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:40 am UTC

@ MatttheTubaGuy:
My jaw hitta da floor after seeing the composite image you stitched. Truly awesome.

Spoiler:
redundakitty3.jpg

cue-f-o animated.gif

Of course for some of us, those redundant spoilers aren't redundant.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Molpies are always exciting. :D Good catch, mscha.
And hello, Case! Nice to meet you. Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:49 am UTC

sidd wrote:Consider me nerdsniped. ...snip

Two things seem clear to me:

1. I should have a witty retort to this.

2. I have no witty retort to this.

Ah, but if *you're* nerdsniped, then I must be, um -- wait is that a squirpy?

I'll know this has gone on long enough when my phone learns not to autocorrect "squirpy" to something else.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:02 am UTC

SBN wrote:It is a bit sad seeing avatars we don't see anymore though.

Indeed! Come back, charlie_grumbles! (For more than giving
directions to oldpages, although those are surely appreciated.)

charlie_grumbles wrote:Just popped in for a second to help a tribe member.

At the top of any page, look for text like this:
Post a reply First unread post • 38759 posts • Page 969 of 969

Click on the last bit: Page xxx of yyy. You will get a form to fill in with a page number.
It will take you directly there.

Hi to all.
Back to the desert.

I'd rather get back to the dessert (a round of sponge cake
covered with fresh strawberries and slightly sweetened,
vanilla-laced Greek yogurt). And a demitasse of course! This
follows poulet aux legumes (courgettes, tomates, carottes et
échalotes) et fines herbes en papillote avec du riz. I may finish
with a snifter of cognac.

For what it's worth, you and Kieryn aren't the first to be
cONGfused by the forum glitch that led to a causality violatiONG.
There seemed to be multiple ninja- and de-ninja-ficatiONG gOiNG
ONG waaaaay back on page 199 - the very page for which you
offered directiONGs! I had forgotten that earlier incident at the
time of the unpleasantness between you and Kieryn. Self-imposed
exile over a software bug is bizarre. And self-imposed exile
because of shame or guilt over your reaction to the bug: the rest
of us are more than willing to forgive and forget.

"No fun any more" - that I'll accept. But it's less credible
because we can see that you're still reading the OTT. And you
still - from your writing - consider yourself one of the tribe.
Guess what, so do the rest of us!

What I'd like to do - if the stars were to align for it - would be
to take both you and Kieryn out on an easy hike above the Hudson
Valley sometime. We could sit and watch the turning of the
caelestial sphere - and it's hard to stay peevish when sitting,
gazing at a peaceful view and listening to the music of the
various molpies. (And the worst of the facebugs are gone now -
they peak around the start of June.) There can be no baobabswowtrees,
but I can offer wowterfalls, stone cairns, ruined huts, and mountains
with some sort of structure on the top of them (that are farther
away than they looked). It's pretty neat. And free of luckycats.

But perhaps the stars won't align. Even so, maybe you can catch a bit of peace just contemplating it.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:05 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:If my ENHANCE skills were better, I'd make the meteor[ite] a Kryptonian spacepod.

A very light, spur-of-the-comatime-moment filk of When You Wish Upon a Star:

Spoiler:
Anything Munroe desires
Will come to you.

As dreamers do.

Wait is kind,
The explanation of
The ε7 setting.

You'll last the night.

Then the sun went down
be felt engulfed us.

Second time for When You Wish Upon a Star, that I know of... :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
fhorn wrote:WHEN YOU MAP UPON A STAR
When you map upon a star,
Makes no difference where you are.
Hemisphere of north or south
Will seem so true

If your app shows just the scene
No conclusion is extreme
When you map upon a star
As Waiters do

Time is kind
It brings to those who Wait
The sweet agreement that
They're in Cassini

Like a molp out of the blue
Geotags will come to you
When you map upon a star
You Wait anew
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:08 am UTC

Just wathed The Movie for the #teenth time.

I also want an OTTification of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1MlvVc4

Open the spoiler only if you understand SerboCroatian (CroatianSerbian).
Spoiler:
Ako neko razume srpskohrvatski, ta osoba onda mora da uradi OTTifikacije pesama koje sam naveo. :)
Last edited by BytEfLUSh on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:10 am UTC

SNIVELONGLY...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:10 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I am amazed, in retrospect, that the song has not crossed my mind at all over the last three days. I haven't actually heard the song in years, but I hardly need to; I can still sing practically the entire album from memory (and often try). This is absolutely lovely. I had to stop in the middle of typing my reply to read through it again (and once again it left my eyes moist). Thank you.

"But there's no need for turning back
'Cause all roads lead to where we stand
And I believe we'll walk them all
No matter what we may have planned."

That's one of several songs I sing to my wolpygirls during long walks. Before writing the Starry Night filk, I considered posting it ("Crossroads") as "what's probably going through Cueball's mind right now." Not a filk of it, just the exact words of the original song. That album is well worth memorizing. (And anyhow, if you can get all the verses of Pie down, the rest of the album is a piece of cake. So to speak.)

P.S. Did you mean to write, "How far will you need to go"?

Yes, I did. (Oops. And I must have read over it a dozen times without seeing it. I guess I should edit the original post, but the quotes of it will remain as documentation of the error.)

----------

Welcome, Case, and all other recent delurkers. I hope you do not flash briefly and fade like the meteor that ushered you in, but instead, return to our firmament frequently, whether erratically like a wandering planet or regularly like a steadfast star. (Or if you prefer, you can just moon us now and then.)
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:14 am UTC

Ah. :) fhorn's is better; much more thought-out. Image And I had already read it, but forgot because I should've been a-coma about four newpix ago. But you can never have too many ottifications!
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:29 am UTC

Saucy notes

higgs-boson wrote:This 14'000-years-in-the-future-thingie would ruin almost all other sources.
Spoiler:
The hedgemolpies, molpyrels, raptorcats... the sea³, the baobabs... given this time frame even this kind of trees may grow as well in NYC. Or at least at the place where NYC was, by then about 1350 years ago. Given this time frame we may as well err on the basic assumption of the planet in question (which would render the 14'000-years-in-the-future-thingie highly questionable, as well, of course, which brings the whole thing down, and the whole line of argument into a Russell-formed pile of recursive dust.

Very BSGish.
Let's enjoy the night.
It is lovely, isn't it?
And since the GLR pays so much attention to the everything, we have hope that the OTC won't share certain of BSG's flaws. From what they said after the series was over the creators were substantially making it up as they went along, and they ended up with enough loose ends, lame explanations, and ‘just ignore that bit’ details to drive a body crazy.
By the way, you didn't close the parentheses in your last sentence. :wink:

Dark moon discussion
Spoiler:
AnotherKevin wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
mscha wrote:Can't be the moon, unless some prakster painted it black in the future.
The moon is far enough away from the sun that it'd be well into the first quarter, so it'd definitely be visible, and certainly outshine the Milky Way.

There was a short story where somebody sent signal rockets to the moon, where they blew up and sprayed carbon black over hundreds of miles of the surface, to spell out the name of "a popular soft drink"; I think that might have been one of Asimov's.

Heinlein. "The Man Who Sold the Moon."

And ... those who are thinking that GLR painted the Moon black: it's pretty near black already! Ever look at the rocks the astronauts brought back? Most of them are about the colour of the asphalt they spread on the roads. The Moon looks silvery in the heavens only by contrast with the blackness of space. My guess is that even spread with carbon black, it would still look silvery. Maybe if GLR put a Moon-sized mirror in front of it, and showed us the image of a darker patch of sky, it might look as we see in the comic. That's less plausible than a dark nebula occluding part of the Galaxy.
What about super-fantastical, futuristic, 90% efficient solar cells? Or...
Spoiler:
It was a ship of classic, simple design, like a flattened salmon, twenty yards long, very clean, very sleek. There was just one remarkable thing about it.
"It's so ... black!" said Ford Prefect, "you can hardly make out its shape ... light just seems to fall into it!"
Zaphod said nothing. He had simply fallen in love.
The blackness of it was so extreme that it was almost impossible to tell how close you were standing to it.
"Your eyes just slide off it ..." said Ford in wonder. It was an emotional moment. He bit his lip.
Zaphod moved forward to it, slowly, like a man possessed - or more accurately like a man who wanted to possess. His hand reached out to stroke it. His hand stopped. His hand reached out to stroke it again. His hand stopped again.
"Come and feel the surface," he said in a hushed voice.
Ford put his hand out to feel it. His hand stopped.
"You ... you can't ..." he said.
"See?" said Zaphod, "it's just totally frictionless. This must be one mother of a mover ..."
Full text of excerpted Restaurant at the End of the Universe chapter here.

jjjdavidson wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
Spoiler:
Little Bear (1.5 years old) the Bunny, who is just over 2 The Bunny was her name from the time she was born, and five weeks later along came the Little Lion. Little Bear is just what he looked like. The Butterfly is the youngest's personality. Her first birthday is this weekend. I... I think I'm going to go feel old for a few minutes...

Added emphasis mine─BlueCrab, clearly I've missed something here. :shock:

Image No, but I didn't explain everything. We have 6 children between us, ages 29-18. Three of them had children in 2011, and one in 2012. Sorry to have alarmed you!

Ebonite wrote:I haven't been posting here since I've been spending my time on more critical things, but I've been trying to keep up with reading the forum. The scientist in me has wanted to jump into the astronomy discussions, but I simply haven't had the time. (Plus, I'd fallen far behind, and didn't want to blindpost.) Thank you all very much for keeping me sane and grounded over the past couple of weeks. Please don't slow down...if you don't see me posting for a few weeks, know that I'll still be reading. I hope to be back to normal soon.
Ow. I can't imagine how rough it is to lose a job of 24 years, I'm very sorry you're going through this. Thanks for letting us know you're still here, you know how otters worry and wonder when someone doesn't post for a while, especially when there's something big going on in the OTC! I didn't know if you had a science-y mind, but I was a little surprised not to see you comment on any of the (amazing!) ottifications lately.
Don't forget to breathe (one inhale for each exhale and back again is what I recommend) and post when you can, we'll be waiting for it.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:30 am UTC

This has been some truly wonderful ketchup:

Rule110 wrote:We are assuming that we're facing generally west, because that's where the sun set.

We are not assuming that we're facing exactly west. In fact, the current apparent consensus (or at least, majority position) is that we are facing a little bit north of west, and that west is approximately toward the trunk of the prominent tree. Why we think that is a little hard to explain, but here goes.

Seaish explantion follows.
Spoiler:
Suppose you wanted to draw pictures of how the stars move. You go out on a clear night with a toilet paper tube (because you want to mask out distractions, and you don't trust lenses), and you look through it (for hours at a time, long enough for the stars to move a long way in the sky) in different directions. As it happens, you're in the northern hemisphere at a moderate latitude, like in central Illinois. (If you were elsewhere, such as Australia, the individual pictures would look different, but the overall phenomena described would work the same.)

If you look northwest, you'll see the stars moving like this:
starviews_nw.png

Why? Because you're looking at the lower left quadrant of this:
Which is the northern stars circling counterclockwise around a hub near Polaris. which is visible to you in the northern sky. (That is, if you point your toilet paper tube due north, and up at about a 40 degree angle, you'll see the North Star and other stars making counterclocwise circles around it, like near the top right of the above photo). That hub is the projection of the earth's axis of rotation onto the apparent celestial sphere.

If you look southwest, you'll see the stars moving like this instead:
starviews_sw.png

This is because, like in the northwest view, you're seeing stars rotating around a hub, in this case the celestial south pole. It looks different, though, for two reasons. One is that in this case the hub is well below the horizon, so you're seeing the upper right quadrant of the rotation instead of the lower left quadrant. The other is that the rotation is clockwise instead of counterclockwise. (The celestial sphere is one big rotating thing that all rotates in the same direction, but you're now looking toward the other end of it. Imagine standing inside a giant barrel placed horizontally and tumbling, that is, rotating around its axis. These used to be commmon in funhouses. Suppose the barrel is rotating counterclockwise as you face toward the end of the barrel that's ahead of you. If you turn around and look behind you, it will be rotating counterclockwise. Clockwise and counterclockwise are always relative to your facing. Even the hands of a conventional clock would go counterclockwise, if the workings of the clock were transparent and you looked at the hands from behind the clock face.)

Finally, you look due west. You'll see the stars moving like this:
starviews_w.png

These stars are near the celestial equator. They're making circles too, just like the northern stars and the southern stars, but for these circles, you're standing at the center of the circles. You are standing on (or so near as to make literally no difference at all, a mere few thousand miles compared to the effectively infinite distances of the stars) the axis they're rotating around. So their paths appear to be straight lines, just like a disc appears to be a straight line when you look at it edge-on, and just like the horizon appears to be a straight line even though it is encircling you.

However, if you could measure more closely (you'd have to mount your toilet paper tube on a sturdy tripod, instead of free-handing it resulting in the wiggly and not very accurate lines I drew), only stars that are exactly on the celestial equator make exactly straight lines. For the ones a little south (left) of the equator, you're standing a little to the right of the centers of their circles, so they'll appear to curve away from you just a little to the left as they set. And similarly for the ones a little north (right) of the equator; they'll appear to curve away from you just a little to the right as they set.

Now, having studied the motions of the stars in three different directions, you decide you want to plaint a big panorama painting that shows all that motion on one wide canvas. You don't want to distort anything; you want the painting to show what you actually see, so star trails way to the left of the painting (southwest) will curve more and more to the left as they get nearer the horizon, and star trails way to the right will curve more and more to the right as they get nearer the horizon, and star trails near the middle (west) will be nearly straight. You want a realistic painting (no cubism), so you realize that you need to show this as a continuous change across the width of the canvas, from left-curving to straight to right-curving.

As a result, the star trails you paint will not be parallel to one another. The trails will squeeze together near the center of the painting (especially, along a line from the lower left to the upper right corners), and seem to spread apart at the lower right and upper left corners, in the same way (and for the same reason) that many world map projections seem to squeeze the continents together near the equator and spread them apart nearer the poles.

If instead of a very wide panorama, you want only a typical wide angle camera view generally toward the west, the squeezing and spreading will be less dramatic, but you'll still see, going left to right across the frame, star trails curving to the left, then curving less, then straight, then curving right, then curving right more.

The effect will be something like this:

Note that this picture is looking east, where everything is rising instead of setting, and therefore is also tilted the opposite way, but it works the same way. This link to the image source has an explanation of what it shows and how it was made. Quoting the page, the image "shows very well how the stars near the celestial Equator trace lines that are almost straight, while the stars at the North and South of the Equator, respectively, appear to draw circles between the celestial North and South poles."

Now, I turn your attention to edfel's excellent "time lapse" composite image of the OTC:

It shows all the things I've been talking about. The star trails curve to the right (as they get closer to setting) toward the right (more northerly) side of the frame. The farther right, the more they curve, but where they cross the tree they're curving very little, and the (rather faint) star trail that crosses near the base of the trunk of the tree looks very straight. The trails farthest left (also rather faint) curve to the left instead, though you might have to use a straightedge or a line drawing program to see it.

This makes me confident (though not absolutely certain) that the celestial equator crosses near the base of the tree trunk, and where that meets the horizon (which might not be exactly where it meets the visible ground) is true west.

There is another possibility: that the view is distorted; that is to say, distorted in a different way than what we usually expect. It would be possible, for instance, to find a projection (or physically craft a lens) that creates a view where one of the curved lines toward the right becomes straight. Then, we'd be fooled into thinking that's the celestial equator instead. That's why we sometimes qualify our conclusions with "...unless it's a projection error."

*puts down chalk* Any questions?

This is why I love this place! :mrgreen:

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Eutychus wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Back on page 199 there is talk of the text directly beneath the name. It is fairly interesting talk.
So does anyone have a quick and simple way of reaching page 199?

Just popped in for a second to help a tribe member.

At the top of any page, look for text like this:
Post a reply First unread post • 38759 posts • Page 969 of 969

Click on the last bit: Page xxx of yyy. You will get a form to fill in with a page number.
It will take you directly there.

Hi to all.
Back to the desert.

Hi Charlie :) If you get a little munchy in the desert, I still have some m&ms in the cave.

NoMouse wrote:I'm not an astronomer (just sky-stitcher) but I guess the stars would be moving the other way so they would be even more misplaced. I am also pretty sure, that our astronomers has tested this option.

NoMouse Sky-Stitcher. I think that works well as an OTT title.

TheMinim wrote:Must... not... give... up... Must... not... give... up... Not... yet... Blimey... this... thread... is... enormous...

You can do it!

charlie_grumbles wrote:Does anyone's cache show timestamps. How quickly did they come?

I'm not here. This message was sent by carrier molpy.

The newpixbot could use this info.

*leaves bag of m&ms for Charlie...to be delivered by carrier molpy Fluffy*

mscha wrote:Here's an animation (slightly brightened (gamma 2)) of the meteor sequence (or at least the frames we found):
Spoiler:

I also updated my collection to include all 5, and to use numbers outside of the regular sequence.

Love this!

NoMouse wrote:Stitching time!
Spoiler:

np2394 - np2443. I decided to stitch stick with spherical projection as it looks more regular and makes more sense:
Spoiler:
2394-2443_stitch_sphere.png

I have got it! NoMouse, should you accept, I would like to bestow upon you (though I have no official power to do so) the title of OTT Astro-Tailor, for your wonderful star stitchery.

Spoiler:
redundakitty3.jpg

cue-f-o animated.gif

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

There is so much more I could say, as there were many wonderful things todip that made me smile, especially some very wonderful OTTifications!

I wanted to share this wonderful video, about a molpy in distress who gets a helping hand set of wheels.

I truly love that, just as things seem to be getting boring, GLR, Creator of Time, sends us a beautiful sign to remind us that we shall be rewarded, if only we just wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:31 am UTC

Sometimes when this thread gets moving slowly,
Sound of Cuegans fade with the stars.
I think about the sandcastle fascination,
While the sea rises tonight.
Last edited by BytEfLUSh on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Case

Postby Case » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:33 am UTC

Speaking of Vincent (which both me and my girlfriend regard as very special for various reasons), the other song that goes through my head right now in relation to the current happenings in OTT (and, also, often when I'm out at night watching the sky) is the one I've kind of alluded to in my introductory post - Underneath the Stars by The Cure (rather obvious, given my avatar). It's another (IMO) exceptionally beautiful song that captures the current mood of OTT pretty much spot on (well, at least from my perspective).

"Floating here like this with you
Underneath the stars aligned
For 13 billion years the view is beautiful
And ours alone tonight
Underneath the stars..."

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:53 am UTC

OK, so be it. The totally untalented OTTification begins...

The Church - Under The Milky Way

Sometimes when this thread gets moving slowly,
Sounds of the Cuegans fade with the stars.
We think about the sandcastle fascination,
While the big sea still rises tonight.

Cueball will do it down on Megan,
Megan will like it, it's all right.
There ain't no Time for our imagination,
We're under the same suns tonight.

Wish I knew what we are waiting for.
Might have known what we would find.

Megan's got some weird petunia
She has it hidden in her bag
The whale was there, a moment of constitution
Until the ground got him all right

Might have known what we would find.
Might have known and I wonder Why?

And there's still a bowl of petunias,
You might have known it's bad.
But you weren't there, in the universe,
Hitchhiking your ride to Home.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:07 am UTC

AnotherKevin wrote:Wouldn't you place west somewhat to the right of the tree? It looks to me as if there's enough topography that we're looking at a skyline that is somewhat above the geodetic horizon. But we also haven't corrected for atmospheric refraction (which has the effect that you can see stars that are a fair angle below the horizon) so maybe the two effects will cancel out.

A little bit to the right of the tree seems likely, although I keep changing my mind about which of the star tracks is the straightest which adds yet another variation.

As for the horizon, yeah, analytically it's hard to make a solid case for any particular horizon. I'm satisfied enough with the ground level somewhat to the right of the tree, just before the steeper slope begins, which is neither the highest or lowest ground. That puts west pretty close to the tree trunk, just a smidgeon to the right of it. Choose a bit lower ground, such as the ground height at the tree trunk, and that puts west a bit farther right. (If we assume the camera is perfectly horizontal, then the height of the camera must be the height at the center of the frame, or about 2 cues higher than Cue's head. It would be justifiable in the real world to call that the horizon, as that camera height off the ground would add no significant error. But ask 100 people where the horizon is in the picture, and none of them would point to halfway up the frame in the middle of the sky. Anyhow, there's no guarantee the camera is horizontal.)

Fortunately, it doesn't matter very much, because if you change the horizon, all the intersections of star/sun/planet paths and horizon shift left or right by almost the same amount in the near-equatorial span we're interested in. If we were determining altitudes, the horizon position would be critical, but what we're mostly looking at is relative azimuths; that is, whether constellations and bodies are setting north or south of west, and how far.
Time after Time...

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:10 am UTC

PRATTLONGLY...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:30 am UTC

mscha wrote:PRATTLONGLY...

Newpixbot, I appreciate your letting me know when I've been prattling on (it's a bad habit of mine), but next time, please, I would prefer a discreet PM. :lol:
Time after Time...

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:50 am UTC

Case wrote:"Floating here like this with you
Underneath the stars aligned
For 13 billion years the view is beautiful
And ours alone tonight
Underneath the stars..."

Lovely song. Image

And nice ottification, BytEfLUSh! :)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:06 am UTC

The OTT is full of sONGs...

Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:52 am UTC

Image with ~100 posts to go. So...the present?

Maybe "Wait For It" refers to, when the comic is finished, Randall will finally visit the forum in person and give all us TimeWaiters a free book. :) lol.

@Image - Could actually have been darker, but still good. :)
@Marsh'n - Ooh, neat CSM odetity.
@Image - Nice wowification of Time, and happy 700.
@edfel - Thanks for doing that onion-skinned starmap. I was thinking of doing it, but hadn't figured out how yet.
@charlie_grumbles - Thanks, I didn't realize "Go to page" was a link! hah!

Ximenez wrote:Up to now the consensus is that Time frames depict a 2 1/2 D universe, or a 1/3 q slice of a 3D universe. If this is so, then the sun is just a few cm cq behind the tree and is really small. Same for the "sky", which I bet is made of some sort of mustard.
Well, the sun is made of light. The light travels, physically, to the Time Slice, therefore it is present. A bush or mountain in the background stays where it is, therefore it does not get to be part of this slice.

Part of my basis for this theory is that the background is white, and white is light. So it has been true the whole time.

Image wrote:Psst...y'all wanna know a secret?

I actually started working on a version of "Every Major's Terrible"...
Future ninja'd, right? Sorry. :( Looks like you had a few unreleased caricatures that those people would love to have (if I were them). :)

Image wrote:Not if you wish to toggle between tab #7 and tab #23. With the way I have Ctrl-Tab configuredTMP (just like Alt-Tab), I can easily do that.

TMP: using Tab Mix Plus.
Oh. I used to use that program too. I didn't like having to rely on that, so it probably made more sense to just arrange the tabs next to each other, or use multiple windows to organize.

Image wrote:
Spoiler:
Wow, epic and awesomeful stuff, kenmelken! Ever since the Les Mis ottifications started I was hoping that one would eventually be done, it's such an ambitious one to try and filk, and you did a fantastic job! :D
Although I must admit I was disappointed I didn't get a line and only got a mention, since it's my favourite song from the musical :oops:
Don't worry. You get to sing the whole thing, that's why it's okay! hehe! hehe! ;)

higgs-boson wrote:Do you remember the easter eggs two Easter worth in #1040 (Lakes & Oceans)? Oh ye gawds!
No, no I don't. What easter eggs? I read the wiki on this too. :(

Kieryn wrote:I think any comic duo could be put in their place with downright hilarious results.
Spoiler:
Laurel and Hardy
Sanford and Son / Steptoe and Son
Morecambe and Wise
Reeves and Mortimer
Spongebob and Patrick...

The list is endless! :)

I pretty much did Beavis and Butthead as M&C already. :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:00 am UTC

PEGASUSONG

HES

whooosh!

Postby HES » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:13 am UTC

Holy Randall, what a night! A masterpiece of OTDrama, filks, newposts and comebackposts.

So, sudden meteor appearance... did the baby kick? :P

Welcome to all de-lurkers! What would we do without this community? (timewaiters and bots alike)
He/Him/His Image

sidd

Postby sidd » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:16 am UTC

Just for kicks, here's more proof of the ~10,000 year hypothesis.

Spoiler:
Last edited by sidd on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:23 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”