1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:
Angua wrote:Do the stars move slower when there's dialogue?

Judging by Book of Aubron, no. Which means they're taking a really long time for small talk.

Also, as I noted earlier, the stars kept moving at the same speed when Cueball went and picked up some meowpy ammo, so he must have been walking r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y...
Updated animation (brightened, gamma 3):
Spoiler:

ETA: assuming that the predicted date is correct, can our astronomy folks predict where the moon is going to be, and if and when it is going to show up in the frame? (If it's a full-ish moon, it should set around dawn, but could be too far to the left or right, I think?)

ETA: Let there be cake! Non-papal order suggestion: enjoy!
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Last edited by mscha on Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:15 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

sla29970

Postby sla29970 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:if drawn with astronomical accuracy the moon will look like a comically tiny dot, smaller than Cueball's head. And with Randall aware that we're here putting our calipers on everything, I won't be too surprised if he just throws up his hands and leaves it out.

I am still getting used to this greyscale-in-xkcd newfangledness, but I think that, much like the sun, the grey levels could allow for a lunar aureole that looked artistically big enough.

sla29970

Postby sla29970 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

sla29970 wrote:
Rule110 wrote:if drawn with astronomical accuracy the moon will look like a comically tiny dot, smaller than Cueball's head. And with Randall aware that we're here putting our calipers on everything, I won't be too surprised if he just throws up his hands and leaves it out.

I am still getting used to this greyscale-in-xkcd newfangledness, but I think that, much like the sun, the grey levels could allow for a lunar aureole that looked artistically big enough.

Alas, the southernmost objects in the frame are declination about -12 degrees, maybe as far as -15 at the corner, but the moon should be south of -20.
On the bright side we should get to see the Pleiades just before dawn.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

BEING STRONG

Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:Charles Trenet - La Mer (original)

C'est une très jolie ottification! Image (Y'all should stop saying you're no good at this...)
Also thanks for the other present presents!

ETA: mikro2nd; newpixbot wants you to know it likes your Lament.
Last edited by mscha on Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

Molpy up!

Done with my morning ketchup with breakfast, and off to start my day. I shall be returning later and look forward to events as they transpire on Megan's watch. Some very wonderful OTTifications and I absolutely love the Lucky fanart! :mrgreen: Keep the faith all and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:ETA:
sford wrote:When Cueball wanted to wake up Megan, he should have spoken her name. (Assuming they have names that far in the future.)

To me, that feels like one of the more artificial instances of their conversation. I don't go around saying the name of the person I'm with, but when I want to get their attention, I do.
Megan did the same in NP 2215.
Spoiler:
But what if there's ever only two of them, and they have no need to address other people? Would they use names then?

I'm more and more leaning towards Cassinimadagascarism, by the way. At some point in the next 11,000 years, something apocalypic will happen (possibly affecting the moon) which twists the earth into Cassini-mode. Obviously, this kills many people and ends civilization. There are now only a few small tribes of people living at various locations. Cuegan is part of (or all that's left of) one such tribe; they know enough to stay alive, but most knowledge of civilization is lost.
This is a kinda sorta consistent theory, no?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

@Pikrass: Very nice ottification! I know just enough French to read along (having pre-read the English translation) in French. Very well done, and keeps the original charm.

When you say "I'm not taking into account quotes and code blocks either." do you mean you are ignoring parens inside quotes or code blocks? Or ignoring the fact that they are in quotes or code blocks and counting them anyway as part of the mass? Many parens were opened (or closed) asymettrically within a quote.

And I'm not sure the messages inside 49 nested parens feel sad. They are inside the biggest group hug the OTT has made so far.

mscha wrote:I'm more and more leaning towards Cassinimadagascarism, by the way. At some point in the next 11,000 years, something apocalypic will happen (possibly affecting the moon) which twists the earth into Cassini-mode. Obviously, this kills many people and ends civilization. There are now only a few small tribes of people living at various locations. Cuegan is part of (or all that's left of) one such tribe; they know enough to stay alive, but most knowledge of civilization is lost.
It's as good as any, better than most, and I'll buy it.

@Winderer: Just wanted to say I really enjoyed your chromatic enhancement. Quite beautiful and unique. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

mscha wrote:But what if there's ever only two of them, and they have no need to address other people? Would they use names then?

Two reasons to believe there are more than two of them: They live in (plural) tents and LaPetite. Of course they could share a name, i.e. be called the same way by others, something like our Cuegan. In such a case, would they call each other "Cuegan"? I believe "hey" is a way for GLR to avoid naming them. Maybe a name would carry too much information about their origin and whereabouts?

mscha wrote:I'm more and more leaning towards Cassinimadagascarism, by the way. At some point in the next 11,000 years, something apocalypic will happen (possibly affecting the moon) which twists the earth into Cassini-mode. Obviously, this kills many people and ends civilization. There are now only a few small tribes of people living at various locations. Cuegan is part of (or all that's left of) one such tribe; they know enough to stay alive, but most knowledge of civilization is lost.

I like it too. The baobabs are too big and 7 an evidence to ignore. Almost like they were put there by GLR just to tell us "Madagascar". And the night sky adds "North hemisphere" to that, so it's Cassini Earth. But what about the sandcastles? How did Cuegan get the design?
Last edited by Ximenez on Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

Finally, ketchup.
k.bookbinder wrote:
NoMouse wrote:I'm not an astronomer (just sky-stitcher) but I guess the stars would be moving the other way so they would be even more misplaced. I am also pretty sure, that our astronomers has tested this option.
NoMouse Sky-Stitcher. I think that works well as an OTT title.
NoMouse wrote:Stitching time!
Spoiler:
np2394 - np2443. I decided to stitch stick with spherical projection as it looks more regular and makes more sense:
Spoiler:
The attachment 2394-2443_stitch_sphere.png is no longer available
I have got it! NoMouse, should you accept, I would like to bestow upon you (though I have no official power to do so) the title of OTT Astro-Tailor, for your wonderful star stitchery.
Wow..I...I don't know what to say... I'm honored, thank you very much! I'll make another stitch soon, it's been almost 20 newpix since the last one.

robbak wrote:Go outside in the evening and allow your eyes to fully adjust, and you will see satellites. There will be a visible satellite in the sky at any time between full sunset and maybe 9:00, and from about 3:00 until first light. Even thousands of years in the future, many of those satellites will still be orbiting. No longer functioning, of course, but still up there, and still visible.

At the very least, the lack of satellites in the early evening pictures is further evidence of the very-far-future, post-apocalypse theory.

I could be wrong, but I think most of the satellites we can see are on low Earth orbit and they will eventually burn in the atmosphere... So yeah, definitely no new satellites but I don't think the old ones would be still there.

Also, has anyone noticed, that np2449 (according to mscha's count) is missing a star?
Spoiler:

Redundant spoiler is redundant:
Spoiler:
np2448.png

np2449.png
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:Also, has anyone noticed, that np2449 (according to mscha's count) is missing a star?
Spoiler:

Good catch! A flying bird?

edfel

Postby edfel » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

Spoiler:
La mer
Qu'on voit monter
Au large, de cette rivière
Détruit notre château
La mer
Et donne son chapeau
Au molpy...

La mer
Saveur café
Reflète ces étoiles d'or
Et puis les météors
La mer
Qu'on attend depuis
L'infini...

Voyez
Sur la montagne
Ces hauts arbres d'été
Voyez
Ces raptors chats
Et ces abris rouillés

La mer
Les a bercés
Le long de l'OTT
Et d'une chanson d'amour
La mer
A bercé nos coeurs
Pour la vie

Oh-oh... du français ! Après la période espagnole ça fait plaisr :) J'adore les raptors chats :D. Joyeux centenaire au passage!

A part ça... er ... ok, for y'all folks:
I've done some computations with angles... the "camera" shows 49° (top-to-bottom, in the middle) and between 63 and 70° from left to right (distorition). I wasn't able to determine the precise projection used, however.
Still, 70° corresponds to f=28mm, and is what I would call a "somehow-wide-angle".
Anyone tried to get Exif data to check GLR's camera model?
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

- Blindpost -

ZoomanSP wrote:One wip delivery time is virtually immediately, given that we all know very well how to wait for it. I'd like to see all the micromolpyturtles and the nanomicromolpyturtles, especially since you put so much effort in making them. So maybe you can upload the pic somewhere, or send it to me?

Oh, haha! It was just a joke :mrgreen: - I'm glad it did give the illusion of "more recursions than visible", but they're meant to go up to infinity, so, we can pretend it wasn't a joke and start zooming!

Normal zoom
Spoiler:

Enhance!
Spoiler:

Enhance!
Spoiler:

Enhance!
Spoiler:

Enhance!
Spoiler:

Enhance!
Spoiler:

Enhance!!
Spoiler:

Enhance!!
Spoiler:

And so on and so forth! That's why I said it took me forever! :mrgreen:
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

ONGAINLINESS...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

C'est une très jolie ottification! Image (Y'all should stop saying you're no good at this...)

Seconded. C'était merveilleux!
And BytEfLUSh, that goes for you too - great OTTification.
And fhorn and Angelastic - both versions are great - two different perspectives are always helpful when you're trying to figure out where you are!
BlitzGirl - loved your keyboard under the stars. Xe looks puzzled for some reason.

I missed BlitzGirls NewPage of Stars, but really, they're all around us, aren't they?učim Some of them shooting quickly through, others guiding us across mountains or through deserts, or giving us the light by which to see molpies on the prowl...
As for constellations, I'm pleased to see my native Scorpio so prominently featured in the astronomy!

ETA, then clarified: Regarding calling "Megan" and "Cueball" rather than "Hey" - I think this is a personal style thing. I rarely call anybody by name unless there are a whole bunch of people in a space and I am trying to get the attention of a particular one. For me, this form of address ("Hey") is completely natural. I have heard that in some groups/cultures the way I do it is considered disrespectful, so it wouldn't surprise me if there are big differences among those of us on the list.

učim: Aware that I was ninja'd by you, but I still wanted to say it too.

Redundant attachment:
Spoiler:
UnderTheSameStars_redundakitty.png
Redundant attachment
Last edited by Marsh'n on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:29 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

ucim wrote:@Pikrass: Very nice ottification! I know just enough French to read along (having pre-read the English translation) in French. Very well done, and keeps the original charm.

Thank you! :)

ucim wrote:When you say "I'm not taking into account quotes and code blocks either." do you mean you are ignoring parens inside quotes or code blocks? Or ignoring the fact that they are in quotes or code blocks and counting them anyway as part of the mass? Many parens were opened (or closed) asymettrically within a quote.

I ignore parens inside quotes and code blocks. The code is available on my github.

ucim wrote:And I'm not sure the messages inside 49 nested parens feel sad. They are inside the biggest group hug the OTT has made so far.

Oh, I like your interpretation!
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Ximenez wrote:ETA:
sford wrote:When Cueball wanted to wake up Megan, he should have spoken her name. (Assuming they have names that far in the future.)

To me, that feels like one of the more artificial instances of their conversation. I don't go around saying the name of the person I'm with, but when I want to get their attention, I do.
Megan did the same in NP 2215.
Spoiler:
But what if there's ever only two of them, and they have no need to address other people? Would they use names then?

I'm more and more leaning towards Cassinimadagascarism, by the way. At some point in the next 11,000 years, something apocalypic will happen (possibly affecting the moon) which twists the earth into Cassini-mode. Obviously, this kills many people and ends civilization. There are now only a few small tribes of people living at various locations. Cuegan is part of (or all that's left of) one such tribe; they know enough to stay alive, but most knowledge of civilization is lost.

I wasn't big on Cassini Madagascar earlier, when the evidence for it consisted of Grandidier's Baobabs and frustration over getting the map directions to fit the real Madagascar. With the confirming evidence of being in the right latitude, it's looking a lot better.

For (non-Cassini) North America, the apparent latitude puts us near Baltimore MD, Wilmington DE, and Philadelphia PA on the east coast, with Washington DC and New York City just outside the nominal range. However, as neat as the thought that Megan and Cueball might have walked across my own yard during their journey is, I don't find the east coast persuasive. The present coastal plain is broad. Without sea level rise, it's too long a walk from the coast to the (Appalachian) mountains. A sea level rise solves that problem, but I still don't like it, for what might seem to be a strange reason: I've been up and down Appalachian mountains all my life, and the terrain we see in the OTC doesn't remind me of their slopes. It's a matter of overall perception; like recognizing or not recognizing a face. Of course the vegetation might have changed completely (from the present day forest) but the worn rock ledges and deposits of glacial boulders would not. Those mountains are two billion years old, and though they've changed a lot during those two billion years, they're not going to change much more in twelve thousand.

But because that's just a perception, based only on one artist's interpretation in silhouettes, I could be wrong.

Near the west coast, we'd be in California well north of San Francisco. I don't know the terrain in that area very well at all. However, an obvious possibility is the northern shore of an expanded (due to sea level rise) San Pablo Bay flooding into the Napa Valley, and the Napa River. Problems, though: the bay has several feet of tide (what would it take to close off the Golden Gate to turn the bay into an inland sea?), and it looks like the Napa River stays in a broad valley for a long distance before climbing up through any canyons or into hills. Can anyone make that fit, and perhaps even guess which mountain they are climbing?
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

I neverok call people by name, and because of this I become uncertain and paranoid about calling people the wrong name, so never call people by name. Even with people I know quite well, there's variation on how you could say ther name (Rebecca, Becs, Beci, Becca) and I wouldn't want to use one they don't like.

Even without this, if there are just two of people there's no need (as mscha said). Besides, it would ruin it if we found out their names aren't cuegan and megball
Disclaimer: I am not a normal person
okI do when I really have to, but it's super-awkward

mscha wrote:
moody7277 wrote:
Angua wrote:Do the stars move slower when there's dialogue?

Judging by Book of Aubron, no. Which means they're taking a really long time for small talk.

Also, as I noted earlier, the stars kept moving at the same speed when Cueball went and picked up some meowpy ammo, so he must have been walking r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y...
Updated animation (brightened, gamma 3):

Unless the earth is just spinning faster. Would that mess up sea level?

I don't like it, but it's a sound theory
He/Him/His Image

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

WHAT IF ...
... Umberto Eco would have published Foucault's Pendulum in a blog with a forum like this attached to?

Oh... Wait.
Honk iff you want Randall to write a Novel.

fHonk
  • once, if any kind of Novel would do.
  • twice, if you'd prefer (hardboiled)* Detective Fiction.
  • thrice, if the matter should evolve in a Crime Fiction story.
  • four times, if you like to read GLR's (High)* Fantasy.
  • five times, if Science Fiction would be your favourite (with a moon, please, this time)*.
  • six times, if the black hat guy should be the star of a Spy Novel.
  • seven and a half times, if Utopia/Dystopia should be shown on the label.
  • eight times, if, no thank you, GLR should better write a Roleplaying Rulebook.
  • twelve times (please along short-long-short-short / long-long-long / short-short-short-long / short) if it has to be a Romance of love, maybe with mathematics.
  • endlessly, if the work should be composed in dactylic hexameter, limerick, double dactyl, or haiku (but never ever in standard ballad meter, for we do not want it to be sung to the tune of Gilligan's Island).
*Not mandatory. Please wave frenetically to opt-in.

Spoiler:
Don't care about the spoiler, read the post!

Ah, since you already opened the spoiler - what would be the co-author of your choice?
e.g. Neil Stephenson, Ian M. Banks (okay, this would be interesting), or Tad Williams...
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Honk iff you want Randall to write a Novel.

Sounds like that would lead to a new thread with a new definition of NewPage. Maybe for symmetry we'd have to join the thread and insist on calling thread pages "pix".

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
fHonk
  • once, if any kind of Novel would do.
  • twice, if you'd prefer (hardboiled)* Detective Fiction.
  • thrice, if the matter should evolve in a Crime Fiction story.
  • four times, if you like to read GLR's (High)* Fantasy.
  • five times, if Science Fiction would be your favourite (with a moon, please, this time)*.
  • six times, if the black hat guy should be the star of a Spy Novel.
  • seven and a half times, if Utopia/Dystopia should be shown on the label.
  • eight times, if, no thank you, GLR should better write a Roleplaying Rulebook.
  • twelve times (please along short-long-short-short / long-long-long / short-short-short-long / short) if it has to be a Romance of love, maybe with mathematics.
  • endlessly, if the work should be composed in dactylic hexameter, limerick, double dactyl, or haiku (but never ever in standard ballad meter, for we do not want it to be sung to the tune of Gilligan's Island).
*Not mandatory. Please wave frenetically to opt-in.

*HONK* *HONK* *HONK* *HONK* *HONK* *HONK* with a bonus wave for choose-your-own-adventure

It disappoints me that there aren't equivalent words for higher values of once/twice/thrice times a lady

ETA: The OTC is long prose narrative and is therefore already a novel. (And a picture book. Two for one!)
Last edited by HES on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

anabatica

Postby anabatica » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:For (non-Cassini) North America, the apparent latitude puts us near Baltimore MD, Wilmington DE, and Philadelphia PA on the east coast, with Washington DC and New York City just outside the nominal range. However, as neat as the thought that Megan and Cueball might have walked across my own yard during their journey is, I don't find the east coast persuasive. The present coastal plain is broad. Without sea level rise, it's too long a walk from the coast to the (Appalachian) mountains. A sea level rise solves that problem, but I still don't like it, for what might seem to be a strange reason: I've been up and down Appalachian mountains all my life, and the terrain we see in the OTC doesn't remind me of their slopes. It's a matter of overall perception; like recognizing or not recognizing a face. Of course the vegetation might have changed completely (from the present day forest) but the worn rock ledges and deposits of glacial boulders would not. Those mountains are two billion years old, and though they've changed a lot during those two billion years, they're not going to change much more in twelve thousand.

But because that's just a perception, based only on one artist's interpretation in silhouettes, I could be wrong.

Near the west coast, we'd be in California well north of San Francisco. I don't know the terrain in that area very well at all. However, an obvious possibility is the northern shore of an expanded (due to sea level rise) San Pablo Bay flooding into the Napa Valley, and the Napa River. Problems, though: the bay has several feet of tide (what would it take to close off the Golden Gate to turn the bay into an inland sea?), and it looks like the Napa River stays in a broad valley for a long distance before climbing up through any canyons or into hills. Can anyone make that fit, and perhaps even guess which mountain they are climbing?

Didn't we establish earlier that they had walked more or less due east along the coast for four days ("walking into the sun all morning" or similar)? Neither North American coast has the correct orientation for that. Sea level rise would inevitably have changed the shapes of the coasts a bit so I tracked down this site that allows you to adjust sea level and see what the coasts would look like and they still don't seem like they fit.

Southern France could work if the longitude estimate was off...

e: none of this explains the vegetation though, and it bothers me

e2: the moon definitely seems to be about to enter frame from the left, there's distinct brightening of that part of the sky
Last edited by anabatica on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

I missed some meteors, the return of KarMann (I know how you feel about the immense pile of intimidating ketchup), some wownderful filks, stitching, OTTities, alien abductions and other things equally awesome.

You guys truly are an amazing bunch of people. It makes me smile every single day during ketchup to see all the lovely ideas, creative musings & intelligent posts around here. Unfortunately, the only thing I have to add is some cupcakes. :oops:

And since I missed BlitzGirl's star-page.. I wanted to post a song I like with the word star in it. I've even though about filking this...
Spoiler:
Golden Dawn by Legendary Pink Dots

Lyrics:
I'll be your slave, maybe you'll be my priestess. I'd live in a cave and
we'd meet where all eyes are turned away. Where we can lay, where we can
play... and forget the storm. Will you weep while I slip away... at Golden
Dawn?
You drew a star, and I drew a circle. We hid in the car, we crossed our
fingers and hurtled down the street. The fog was creeping slow, the
deathbird peeping through the window. We drove on and found our way to
Golden Dawn.
I read the news and you heard the sirens. We packed, then we flew to an
island which no-one else could find. Where we could hide and watch the tide
slide in at twilight. We made love... on and on 'til Golden Dawn.

I feel extremely guilty that I forgot Megan was bleeding during this entire Astronomy stuff, placement predictions & meteor/molpy activities. When she woke up and said it still hurt, I gasped. I hope she's OK staying awake on her own.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

Back on topic, with cueball going back to sleep are we going to see an advanced version of his foreshadowing dream? Could be building up hints to the finale:
Spoiler:
!! WARNING !! TVTROPES LINK BELOW!!
Dreaming of things to come
!! IF YOU'RE READING THIS THEN YOU'VE MADE IT OUT ALIVE !! CONGRATULATIONS !!
He/Him/His Image

akacat

Re: Under the Same Stars

Postby akacat » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

More fanart - turned out a bit darker than anticipated, hope y'all can see it...

Aw, that's a really cute picture of the attack-meowlpy. Do you mind if I use it as wallpaper on my tablet?

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

THEGREATSQUAREONG

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

Ok I've had had it with the speculations, so I made a Cassini earth map (well actually I took a equirectangular projection image and added the correct gridlines), and here it is:
Attachments
cassini.png
Cassini
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
mscha wrote:
Montov wrote:So, we're in the middle of the night then? It means a couple of decapix until morning.

We're 74 frames (excluding meteor) after sunset. Assuming 5 minutes per frame, that's just over 6 hours.
Since it's supposedly early autumn, the night will be longer than 12 hours, so we're probably slightly under halfway.

(Could some astronomery type perhaps shine some (star)light on this, based on the total movement of the stars since sunset?)

I've got slow neuronal connections this morning [and in general also...], so this might be a mis-computation, but with Stellarium I predict the sunrise in ~110minutesInside which would be more or less 20 np (each np spans more than 5minutesinside) .

edit: about autumn: no, the sun is definitely above the celestial equator, so the night is shorter than 12 hours (10 according to stellarium)
re-edit: forget my computation above: 10h=~120-140 frames, minus 74 = 46 - 66 np. I must have mis-read the stars the first time.
re-re-edit
MattTheTubaGuy wrote:Night will be about 12 hours 40 minutes long, so at 5 minutes per frame, the night should be 152 frames long. If we are currently 75 frames in, then there should be 77 frames left. almost exactly half way!
day length calculator,I selected a location between 39 and 40 degrees north, and set the date to 9th October, which is the precession adjusted date I calculated a few posts back.

Okay, forget all I said above, trust Matt instead.

My very rough estimate, derived entirely from clicking by hours in Stellarium, is that they're a bit more than two-thirds of the way between dusk and dawn. So Cueball should get only about half the time to sleep that Megan did.

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

Poor Cueball - for all that he can't stay awake much longer, he can't sleep either!

And - I think that Cueball avoids calling Megan by name after the unfortunate incident where he called his ex-girlfriend by the name of his ex-ex-girlfriend, not yet having learnt that calling her 'darling' avoids the possibility of getting it wrong. :wink:
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

edfel

Postby edfel » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:THEGREATSQUAREONG
Spoiler:

Updated prediction: the stars will start fading in 5np (starting by the lowest ones, at that time Cueball's head will be in the great square--unless he moves), and the last one will disappear in 13 np. At its closest, the moon will be 10° to the left of the frame (so not far, but still out of it).
Then, Lucky will come for breakfast.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
edo wrote:[snippety] I'm getting a solar position of 14h 55m. Assuming we are still in the Age of Aquarius,putting the date at Nov 8th (w error of about a day)

other useful details:
I measure 7.9845 pixels/degree
the stars moved 190.55970193 pixels in 15 newpix (sqrt(36313)pixels)
there are 6.36 minutes of Time between Newpices

I think I just officially became a Randallversist. If your 8px / degree is correct, then the sun was about 3 degrees across, or about 6 times normal size.

My current opinion is: "Artistic license." I can't help picturing Randall holding his head in his hands, muttering to himself, "I just wanted to give them a pretty sky to look at, but these crazy mustards expect me to have every star in the right place!"

Blind post from NP 959: of course I'll never know, but I'd be immensely cheered if Randall were to use the word "mustards" in that way. It would mean that the nerdsniping had been mutual, or at least that he'd become, in some sense, one of Us.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

anabatica wrote:e2: the moon definitely seems to be about to enter frame from the left, there's distinct brightening of that part of the sky
Looking at the waves of clearer sky coming from that side, I would say something is approaching from the left and below the horizon (that's the feeling navigating through the latest frames in the Book of Aubron). Moonrise? But it doesn't make sense for the moon to be there and moving like that.

ETA: I changed the text above while Marsh'n was answering to the previous version. Sorry about that. It read like this: "Looking at the waves of clearer sky coming from that side, I would say something is approaching from the left and below the horizon. Moonrise? Does it make sense for the moon to be there and moving like that?"
Last edited by Ximenez on Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:31 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

From the Cassini what-if:
"...what if this change were made on our Earth, over a fairly short time?

We’re assuming that all the material is magically shifted around, so there are no massive tsunamis or earthquakes. Even so, it would definitely still be a catastrophe. For starters, the ice caps would melt long before new ones could develop, pushing the ocean up by a few hundred feet."

So, how long would it take to melt the icecaps? On the order of ten thousand years? That's about the right ballpark for the last ice age melting, although the present ice caps are much smaller and I'd expect them to melt faster.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:
anabatica wrote:e2: the moon definitely seems to be about to enter frame from the left, there's distinct brightening of that part of the sky
Looking at the waves of clearer sky coming from that side, I would say something is approaching from the left and below the horizon. Moonrise? Does it make sense for the moon to be there and moving like that?

Gosh, I think I'd be expecting something more along toward moonset at this point, particularly if it was full. The astronotheorists probably know, but I guess the rest of us just have to 0.

ETA: emphasis.
0: Wait for it.

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

ucim wrote:From the Cassini what-if:
"...what if this change were made on our Earth, over a fairly short time?

We’re assuming that all the material is magically shifted around, so there are no massive tsunamis or earthquakes. Even so, it would definitely still be a catastrophe. For starters, the ice caps would melt long before new ones could develop, pushing the ocean up by a few hundred feet."

So, how long would it take to melt the icecaps? On the order of ten thousand years? That's about the right ballpark for the last ice age melting, although the present ice caps are much smaller and I'd expect them to melt faster.

Jose

Yes, but the end of an ice age is different to the sudden relocation of an ice cap to the equator. I'd expect it to be substantially faster
He/Him/His Image

edfel

Postby edfel » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Updated prediction:

More precisely, here is mscha's future animation (with 1/2 frame (to save space), colors instead of Cuegan, and constellation lines):

Redundant spoiler:
Spoiler:
sunrise.gif

what else did you expect?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

Probably been brought up way back in the early NewPages of OTT, but as I wrote before, "I'm tired of stars." So I'll ask instead, as this night starts to reach its end, will it bring Tomorrow, Or Just the End of Time?

Had we only suspected early on, I would have loved to post in the first few pages, "Time has Come Today." Let someone filk that one!

Continuing in my random ravings, consider this: we may only be able to perceive our own time-stream as constant seconds (or whatever) passing by, because if time were to dilate or be quantized, so would everything in our lives and we couldn't tell. However, as outside observers of the Universe That is The OTC, we should be able to observe, say, sinusoidal variations in the relationship between our time-stream and theirs. This doesn't mean we can tell which one is "linear" and which one isn't; just that they're different. That's why action between NewPix doesn't align with our <heretical> half-hours.

1190 Forever!
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

Too much rot-13! Too much rot-13! Too much this-isn't-rot-13-it's-rot-something-else-and-so-incomprehensible-when-you-put-it-through-a-rot-13-decoder-so-I-won't-read-it-anyway! Ach!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

I hope we get to see the Andromeda galaxy. It should be visible in a couple more frames. But the Moon is full, so maybe not. Actually, with a full Moon, I'm surprised we're seeing as many stars as we are. Then again I'm a city-boy and don't have a lot of experience with full Moons in dark skies.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Cueball sleepONG
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”