1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: Under the Same Stars

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

akacat wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Aw, that's a really cute picture of the attack-meowlpy. Do you mind if I use it as wallpaper on my tablet?

I don't mind at all!
Also, Image @Marsh'n for making Lucky your redundakitty. :mrgreen:

Huh. ETA:
Spoiler:
No decrees, as I just decoma'ed and it's hard to think of one.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

edfel

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edfel » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

updated future animation (no I'm not moving to astrology after astronomy, so I'm not predicting what Cuegan will do...)
Spoiler:
sunrise4.gif

[edit to add: it shows how hard it is, on a 2.5D cut, to detemine where lies the horizon. It should be above the heads of Cuegan, if the photographer is standing, but I put it slightly lower for some reason: that corresponds to the greyish triangles to the right and left.]
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Stitching time!

np2394 to np2464 (that's 71 newpix so far):
Spoiler:

2394-2464_stitch_sphere.png
Last edited by NoMouse on Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

sla29970

Postby sla29970 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:I hope we get to see the Andromeda galaxy. It should be visible in a couple more frames. But the Moon is full, so maybe not. Actually, with a full Moon, I'm surprised we're seeing as many stars as we are. Then again I'm a city-boy and don't have a lot of experience with full Moons in dark skies.

It is not clear that we will see nebulae. The most recent frame is still showing stars to mag 5.95, but the Triangulum galaxy is mag 5.7, already in view, but not showing any visible pixels. Going back a few frames M2 was also never visible. Maybe GLR will turn on the nebulae, but so far I think they've been off.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: It looked like a giant beach-lump with spikes.

Postby Vytron » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

- Blindpost -

karhell wrote:Occasionally, I cross Vytron's signposts; hello, Past-Vytron, pleased to past-meet you!

Oh, hey karhell! Thanks for blitzgirling*, still wondering who'll be the first to reach the present, this is a race take your time!

Also, I have finally managed to be only 6 days behind! So, there may be another Vytrongularity somewhen in the future...
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

ARIESONG
PiPie for PiPost!
Spoiler:
pipie.jpg

EDIT: replace pipie link with attachment
Last edited by spamjam on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

I was perusing my old signposts, and I think I figured out what happened to the moon:
Angelastic wrote:<snip> If there is a downturn in discussion, at least BlitzGirl will get here sooner. And what will we do then? I suggest we destroy the moon.

This is all my fault!
I'm sorry, Moon!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:This is all my fault!
I'm sorry, Moon!
Oh, right. Get all weepy-eyed over a dumb old rock in the sky, but wish keyboards all over Cueball just for the lulz.

I'm glad I'm not some character in a story with BlitzGirl!

(oh, wait...)
:) Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Davidy

random musings

Postby Davidy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

According to Wikipedia, there are approximately 1600 magnitude 5 stars visible (and 4800 magnitude 6). Given that there is almost no light pollution and the Milky Way was brightly visible (usually becoming visible when magnitude 5 stars are visible), I would guess (even given that we are viewing only a small percentage, maybe 1/40, of the celestial globe) we should be seeing a lot more stars that we are. I know that when I have viewed the sky at one of the few truly dark spots in the US (and there are damned few of them), I was able to see an almost total blanket of stars.

She addressed him by saying "Oh", he addressed her by saying "Hey". I suggest that those are those are their true names. Who knows what conventions will exist 11,000 years from now? Or maybe they no longer use names at all. There are apparently so few people around that names are not needed. One just faces and talks to whoever one wants to communicate with.

Don't people in the future ever have to pee, or poop? They've been on this trek for a long time without having, um, "gone".

I don't know Randal's artistic abilities but somehow I don't think that he does all the fine detail drawings of flora and fauna that we have seen. I suspect that those are sourced from some commercial entity which produces images for computer use. Has anyone seen such sources and tried to match the images with what we've seen? Perhaps the images' names would be a clue to the location.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:... there are approximately 1600 magnitude 5 stars visible [...] we should be seeing a lot more stars that we are. I know that when I have viewed the sky at one of the few truly dark spots in the US (and there are damned few of them), I was able to see an almost total blanket of stars.
Yes, but if you took a photo, would you capture them all? Could you resolve them over a pixel? Depends on your equipment and exposure - we are not seeing this scene with our eyes, after all.

Davidy wrote:I don't know Randal's artistic abilities but somehow I don't think that he does all the fine detail drawings of flora and fauna that we have seen. I suspect that those are sourced from some commercial entity which produces images for computer use. Has anyone seen such sources and tried to match the images with what we've seen? Perhaps the images' names would be a clue to the location.
Draco! You get the m&ms, I'll get the cauldron of chocolate.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Re: random musings

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

It's possible Randall is making his own brushes in Photoshop, using photographs as reference. I use grass brushes whenever I can, because it's a great shortcut. However, given the complexity of past othercomics, I think it's more plausible that Randall has been drawing Time by hand. "Phantom image-producing commercial entity" seems rather silly.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jowo

Postby jowo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Draco! You get the m&ms, I'll get the cauldron of chocolate.

Can I help? I really wanna help!
It's about Time....

edfel

Postby edfel » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:According to Wikipedia, there are approximately 1600 magnitude 5 stars visible (and 4800 magnitude 6). Given that there is almost no light pollution and the Milky Way was brightly visible (usually becoming visible when magnitude 5 stars are visible), I would guess (even given that we are viewing only a small percentage, maybe 1/40, of the celestial globe) we should be seeing a lot more stars that we are. I know that when I have viewed the sky at one of the few truly dark spots in the US (and there are damned few of them), I was able to see an almost total blanket of stars.

Indeed, like ucim said, a photo might not take as much details as the eye. Also, it appears that the number of stars matches pretty well stellarium with standard atmosphere setting, so if GLR is not using stellarium to draw his stars, then he's using a similar threshold on the visibility.

Davidy wrote:She addressed him by saying "Oh", he addressed her by saying "Hey". I suggest that those are those are their true names. Who knows what conventions will exist 11,000 years from now? Or maybe they no longer use names at all. There are apparently so few people around that names are not needed. One just faces and talks to whoever one wants to communicate with.

So Cuegan should be known as HeyOh ?

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

jowo wrote:

No,no, we should really leave this to the professionals, I mean what if the cauldron of chocolate *crash*. O... dear...

Ronald

Cleanup on aisle VI!
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

edfel wrote:So Cuegan should be known as HeyOh ?

Like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMigXnXMhQ4 this?

Ronald

Ottification needed.
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

ChirpONG!

ETA: This was kind of explosive, wasn't it?
ETA 2: I fixed the image url.
Last edited by Ximenez on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:14 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

edfel

Postby edfel » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

OMR! Has the chirp blown away the clouds? Or is mustard creeping in?

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:ChirpONG!
Spoiler:

The stars are chirping!

Edited to fix image url.
Last edited by taixzo on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

ONGODS...
Spoiler:

Edit: retroninja'd.

-- posted by newpixbot
Last edited by mscha on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Potential spoiler here. You need to use the filename with the hash, not the time.png file.

ETA: Future Blitzers will thank you, Ximenez. Spoilered image also fixed.
Last edited by moody7277 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:
jowo wrote:

No,no, we should really leave this to the professionals, I mean what if the cauldron of chocolate *crash*. O... dear...

Ronald

Cleanup on aisle VI!

The chocolate! All the chocolate! I try to have a nice dip out with my wife, and I come back, and, oh dear, what will we do with all this mess? Do you realize how many bags of stale m&ms it takes to fill that thing, and then melt it all?

*runs to the back of the cave, to check his stash* Oh, what relief. Still there.

In any case, Davidy, for punishment of heresy, perhaps you would be so kind to just sort of wallow and roll around in the spilled chocolate, seeing as there shall be no dunking. Jowo, maybe get a mop or something. Sort of sop it up and slap Davidy with it or something. Dracomax can pelt Davidy with m&ms afterwards. They'll stick, don't you worry about that. Davidy, you had just better hope Dracomax doesn't make you dry off while sitting in the comfy chair.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:
Spoiler:
[Here was an image with the time.png url]

Potential spoiler here. You need to use the filename with the hash, not the time.png file.

I'm sorry! It was the excitement of all this happening at once! And my mistake was the reason why newpixbot posted the image.

I broke everything!

(I fixed the image URL. I also substituted the image inside your spoiler. I don't remember if there is some different tradition in place, like spoilering my image or deleting the post. If so, please tell me!)
Last edited by Ximenez on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:21 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

Whoa. That chirpframe looks bizarre in Chrome compared to the previous newpix.

Anyway, molpybat?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:
moody7277 wrote:
Spoiler:

I'm sorry! It was the excitement of all this happening at once! And my mistake was the reason why newpixbot posted the image.

I broke everything!

(I fixed the image URL. I don't remember if there is some different tradition in place, like spoilering my image or deleting the post. If so, please tell me!)

Don't worry. At least you didn't ING instead of ONG.

And, ooh, chirpies in the nighttime!

EDIT - fixed image url
Last edited by Earthling on Mars on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

Original spoiler fixed. Quotes from taixzo and moody7277 and Earthling on Mars still have the (quoted) spoiler version and need to be fixed.

And gee, what a mess. What a chocolate mess!

Jose

jowo

Postby jowo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
rvloon wrote:In any case, Davidy, for punishment of heresy, perhaps you would be so kind to just sort of wallow and roll around in the spilled chocolate, seeing as there shall be no dunking. Jowo, maybe get a mop or something. Sort of sop it up and slap Davidy with it or something. Dracomax can pelt Davidy with m&ms afterwards. They'll stick, don't you worry about that. Davidy, you had just better hope Dracomax doesn't make you dry off while sitting in the comfy chair.

Mopping done. Slap!

(Can I sample?)
It's about Time....

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Original spoiler fixed. Quotes from taixzo and moody7277 and Earthling on Mars still have the (quoted) spoiler version and need to be fixed.

And gee, what a mess. What a chocolate mess!

Jose

moody7277's is fixed.

(I'm glad Davidy chose that moment for such an heresy. Maybe that way my mistake doesn't get so much attention. But I should shut up, shouldn't I?)

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

When I scrolled down, I thought that ONG was a fake...

Is the sun rising? Is it even time for it to rise, yet? WHY ARE THE STARS CHIRPING?! :shock:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:The stars are chirping!

You should fix the URL in the quote in your message too to prevent spoiling future past-blitzers.

Yeah, seems like some chirpies are making the same trip as Cuegan. If only they could chirpfly too, that would help understanding their world.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure this is mustard. It looks really weird.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

anabatica wrote:
Rule110 wrote:However, an obvious possibility is the northern shore of an expanded (due to sea level rise) San Pablo Bay flooding into the Napa Valley, and the Napa River. Problems, though: the bay has several feet of tide (what would it take to close off the Golden Gate to turn the bay into an inland sea?), and it looks like the Napa River stays in a broad valley for a long distance before climbing up through any canyons or into hills. Can anyone make that fit, and perhaps even guess which mountain they are climbing?
Randallversalist here, open to Cassiniist doctrine, but if it is in the real world, that's my guess as staked out a few pages ago.

anabatica wrote:Southern France could work if the longitude estimate was off...
However, that would be within a (long) day's drive for me if proven true.

Oh, and if it was a molpybat, surely we wouldn't be able to hear it chirp?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

Something indeed went horribly wrong on the last newpix.
When applying gamma 3 (as I've been doing for the recent animations) you get:
Spoiler:
where, on for instance the previous newpix, you got
Spoiler:
Looks like all pixels beneath a certain threshold got downgraded to black.
I'm fairly sure the GLR will upload a demustarded version soon-ish.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

To me, chirpies* means it's nearly morning. Maybe I'm being too hopeful...

*raptor, not molpybat, surely?
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

Depends on the bat - I can definitely hear some types of batchirp.

NoMouse wrote:I'm pretty sure this is mustard. It looks really weird.

Yeah. Here's what it looks like on my browser:
Gah - ninja'd by mscha!

Redundant:
Spoiler:
EpicChirp.gif

redundant14.png
redundant14.png (115.34 KiB) Viewed 11551 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

Just a reminder, from np1830/np1831:
Spoiler:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Just a reminder, from np1830/np1831:
Spoiler:

Yup, and based on those, I predicted this chirp on NP 940. :mrgreen:
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

IceIsNice

Postby IceIsNice » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

IceIsNice wrote:Prediction: With Megan on the watch now, things are going to start happening.

See! I told you things would start happening:
We have a "Chirp"!

Edit: Ninja'd. Angelastic claims it.
Last edited by IceIsNice on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! Probably.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

You know, down here (in the Caribbean) you wouldn't be able to hear chirps in the night sky over all the crickets and frogs you get all night. Could the silence of their night mean anything?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Could the silence of their night mean anything?

It's Christmas Eve? (something for the astromathematicians to chew over...) :D
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:Like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMigXnXMhQ4 this?

Ronald

Ottification needed.

Oh, perfect given the timing. I'm on it...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”