1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:59 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Ooh, pretty smiley!

It was just for you.

Why, thank you!
Have a cupcake-molpy:

Valarya wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I don't know how wizardy my searches are, because most often when I search the OTT I feel like this:
Spoiler:

Or like the PRIMER portion of this?

Yes, that's exactly right. Temporal confusion and all!

ETA: ...hm.
Spoiler:
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:02 am UTC

I very much hope that after I de'coma, I shall enjoy my mornixg ketchup, having found that Cueball has also de'coma'd. But before then, I must coma. Coma well all. For the rest, keep the faith and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 am UTC

NothONG

Coma time [heresy](UTC -3 here)[/heresy].
See you tomorrow.
Happy waiting for you all.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:09 am UTC

Cueball looks odd with his sticks sprawled out on the ground like that. Especially when he moves, like in newpix 2492:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:13 am UTC

Quilbert wrote:This might have been done before (I’m just a lurker, you see), but here’s my analysis of the night sky. I’m pretty sure this is the distant future on Earth. This is why:

Spoiler:
I noticed three weird things: ε Sco is in a strange place, some stars go down at the same spot although they have different declinations (for the calculation I took ι Ari, 88 Aqr, and θ Sco, all going down near the tree’s trunk), and Antares is missing altogether. GLR certainly does such things on purpose …

From ε Sco’s movement, I estimated (very roughly) that this must be about 15000 years in the future. Then I took the positions of the stars mentioned above and calculated the rotational axis. It is very different from ours. As polar star I get Vega, more or less. At first, I thought about Mars, but it didn’t fit and I got an axial tilt of 22°, just in the wrong direction for current Earth. Luckily, the rotational axis precesses. From all the data, my best estimate for now is that this is 11400 years in the future. Of course, the methods used are error-prone, and I haven’t calculated the errors. The most reliable number we would probably get by taking the planets into account.

From the angle of the stars going down, I get a latitude of roughly 37°N. Now this all makes sense in a way. Baobab trees must have spread to places outside Madagascar. This could be the south coast of Portugal, for example. Antares has probably gone supernova (it is already a red supergiant). And then there must be some post-apocalyptic thing going on, with the Sea tasting bad, people living in tents and lacking formal education …

Impressive work, Quilbert. In one stroke, and apparently working completely independently, you've reached results that took the thread quite a few newpages of incremental progress to work through to.

You might be interested in the the specific candidate dates that some have put forth based on the Venus and Jupiter positions; they might wish to add their take on the 11400 year figure, and explain their rationales.

The 37°latitude seems a little low though; by identifying as closely as possible the most likely position of the celestial equator in the pictures (where the star paths would be expected to be straight, for most reasonable projections), and measuring the angle of the star paths nearest to that, we've ended up in the 39-40° range. That would be star paths that set near the base of the larger tree. Setting stars farther right than that bend toward the right as they set (also as expected for most reasonable projections) and using their angles would give you lower latitudes.

Regarding other theories: one thing to keep in mind about alternative meta-hypotheses like "the choice of sky configuration is of no real significance" and "Randall is just messing with us" is that even if something like that turns out to be true, the astronomical conclusions are still valid. In other words, if he's messing with us, he's messing with us by presenting a self-consistent and fairly precise astronomical scenario that leads logically to the conclusion that it represents the skies of approximately 14000 CE (or 14000 + n*26000 CE).

@CameronCat: Thank you for the kind comments. :oops:

LOL @HereBeUnmappedBits and mscha, for chirpy songs!

mscha wrote:And now it's time for me to do a Cueball...

Careful! Last time I did that, I scratched.

It appears that I will have to coma before Cueball de-comas (that is to say, now). I have some confidence that the scene will still be in the same place when I wake, but I'm hoping at least Megan and Cueball will have moved.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Can you see us, Major Thong?

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:17 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:I love you.
I mean, we[the OTT] love you.
This is foreverbeautiful.

Thanks, Aluisio! The ottification in your subject titles is awefulsome, by the way. :)

Thank you. Unfortunately, it's almost ending…

BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
spamjam wrote:<snip> Another example of GLR's will?

Are you suggesting GLR is like the Sea?

Big?

Uh… the other definition.

I was thinking, could you draw us all, or at least part of us, watching the OTC through this (unless Firefly has an equivalent)? Or in a place like CameronCat's depiction of us in her first post?

Also, as you aren't amused, please accept this offering.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:29 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Say, is whoever was keeping this map still around? I can't find any way to iconify it from that page, and it would be hell to try and find somewhere in the past where it was bumped.

Maybe I'll put out a formal request: any Blitzer who comes across it, bump it, please. :D

That was RobIrr keeping the map - he appeared in the first Boom de Yada.
I've actually bumped the map before, so it was easy to search my own posts and find it again. Here it is:

Wonderful! Now, the question is, does the map use image requests to track views? Because if that's the case then I can't make it a nice little icon or link :c

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:30 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Have a cupcake-molpy:

That molpy ate all of the cupcake! It's too cute to be mad at, though.

I hope Cueball has de-coma'd by the time I do as well. It's that time. Molpy down.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

yappobiscuits

Re: Can you see us, Major Thong?

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:47 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:I was thinking, could you draw us all, or at least part of us, watching the OTC through this (unless Firefly has an equivalent)? Or in a place like CameronCat's depiction of us in her first post?

I'd also love to see that :)

Anyway, time for me to molpy down. Hope Cueball molpy-ups soon...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:50 am UTC

mscha wrote:Inspired by HereBeUnmappedBits, an ottification of this song...

Right, what's next? Ottification of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ5AFxzY-nM this?

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:04 am UTC

Here's the new ONG, pretty much the same as the old ONG:

AluisioASG wrote:I was thinking, could you draw us all, or at least part of us, watching the OTC through this (unless Firefly has an equivalent)? Or in a place like CameronCat's depiction of us in her first post?

I mean, poor molpyoffering.
I might try that drawing, sounds like fun.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

tastony

Postby tastony » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:05 am UTC

Infrequent visitor to this thread in recent times :wink: . Staggering to see how many posts and views there are - by my calculation, this thread has more replies in it than then next 112 most popular threads in the "Individual XKCD Comic Threads" forum.

And we are now getting close to the next order of magnitude in page counts - assume many celebratory cakes will be made and hats fabricated for the 1000th page party?
I waited.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:08 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Here's the new ONG, pretty much the same as the old ONG:

I mean, poor molpyoffering.
I might try that drawing, sounds like fun.

I wonder if Megan passed out sitting up. She's so stock-still.

Also, yes, please do! Your art is great, and I had this idea a while ago but haven't managed to pull it off.

tastony wrote:Infrequent visitor to this thread in recent times :wink: . Staggering to see how many posts and views there are - by my calculation, this thread has more replies in it than then next 112 most popular threads in the "Individual XKCD Comic Threads" forum.

And we are now getting close to the next order of magnitude in page counts - assume many celebratory cakes will be made and hats fabricated for the 1000th page party?

Here's hoping I'll be around! If it's getting close, I might have to sneak onto the forums while I'm out and about.

Eternal Density

Niclep was sent to coma without supper.

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:19 am UTC

Idle thought: imagine what the TVTropes page for the OTT would look like...
tastony wrote:Infrequent visitor to this thread in recent times :wink: . Staggering to see how many posts and views there are - by my calculation, this thread has more replies in it than then next 112 most popular threads in the "Individual XKCD Comic Threads" forum.

I imagine so. BTW your avatar is pretty awesome :D
[edit]
Landmark post number detected: Binary 15! Likely my last binary post. (Though the number of posts I need to get to the next binary number is under nine thousand.)
To celebrate, I think this is appropriately inappropriate.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

tastony

Re: Niclep was sent to coma without supper.

Postby tastony » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:25 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I imagine so. BTW your avatar is pretty awesome :D

I think it's cunning, actually...
I waited.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:55 am UTC

I was curious what newpix based terms we have adopted for measuring time etc. So I did some forum searches to get use counts for each term

For Days:
dix 135
xip 52
dayapix 19

For Weeks:
wix 51
wip 82
weekapix 11

mip 40
yip 34

For single units:
newpix 2989
newpic 452
Timeframe 685
longpix 226

So from this we can now adopt a standard (which many will probably ignore anyway) of:

dix for 24 newpix
wip for a period of 7 dix or 168 newpix or an outside week
mip for an outside month or period of about 30 dix
yip for an outside year or period of about 365 dix

And we have pretty much settled on newpix as well.

Still Up for debate may be how a dix and a wip work when talking about any period involving the first 240 newpix. Many would say there were 2 dix per outside day at this time but some may disagree.

And since this period was so short wip is a bit useless at this point in time so it may be easier to link wips to outside days/weeks and not inside ones. In fact I think it would be great to make this standard for all ?ip terms. So wip/mip/yip are always related to outside dates and times and would be used most often. Then we could use dix/wix/mix/yix for newpix based times which are always 24/168/672/34944 newpix (that is with 13 mix per yix and 4 wix per mix). These forms of time counting do not line up exactly with outside calender dates etc. Note these date forms other than dix which is simple may not be used as much in day to day conversation but they could be used when doing technical timing things or discussions.

We could also adopt xip (or maybe dip) as the wip/mip/yip equivalent for a time unit matching an outside day.

In summery we would use dix/wip/mip/yip when talking about things in the forum relating to time intervals
unless you are dealing with technical timelines going back to the start of the OTC in which case you could use dix/wix/mix/yix instead.

Also note plurals would be dix/wix/mix/yix/wips/mips/yips

Your feedback would be great thanks.
Last edited by Latent22 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:56 am UTC

Prediction:
Someone didn't read the warning in What If 16 and is rolling a 60 meter sphere over the surface. This sphere crushes Quegan. Thus ends Time
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:01 am UTC

Cueball's still sleepONG:

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:03 am UTC

tastony wrote:And we are now getting close to the next order of magnitude in page counts - assume many celebratory cakes will be made and hats fabricated for the 1000th page party?

No, but cakes are in the oven for the 1024th 10000000000th!
He/Him/His Image

Arky

Postby Arky » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:10 am UTC

Flotter wrote:Cueball's still sleepONG:

I think Megan is looking down at her wounds.

When Cueball and Megan approached the cabin for the first time I joked that they were Joel and Ellie from The Last of Us. Doubly a reason to hope there's no infection!
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

DavidRa

Postby DavidRa » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:18 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:{Excellent analytic work}

So from this we can now adopt a standard {snip}

Hold up there a second ... I understood that standards are considered a form of heresy. As a result I must disagree - and quote you the standarder response:

ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball!

Standard averted ...

er Yes, I'm well aware of the irony here.

higgs-boson

Re: It won't wait for me

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:34 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:...
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

More fanart - turned out a bit darker than anticipated, hope y'all can see it...

I love you.
Seconded.
AluisioASG wrote:I mean, we[the OTT] love you.
Ehr, I mean, seconded.
AluisioASG wrote:This is foreverbeautiful.
It is. I comes to my mind that both artistic and scientific beauty bear a shining presence in the OTT.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:43 am UTC

DavidRa wrote:
Latent22 wrote:{Excellent analytic work}

So from this we can now adopt a standard {snip}

Hold up there a second ... I understood that standards are considered a form of heresy. As a result I must disagree - and quote you the standarder response:

ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball!

Standard averted ...

er Yes, I'm well aware of the irony here.

The good thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from.
By the way, I am opposed to the opposition of standards.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:04 am UTC

PEACEFULONG

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:10 am UTC

spamjam wrote:I'm still bothered by why the western sky brightened from the horizon up during sunrise. What's up with that (WTC?)? Couple of others have noticed as well, but nobody has any reason why. Another example of GLR's will?

Gegenshein. [Blindposting from 983, so maybe someone else has figured this one out already...]
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Re: Things all being OTT related

Postby slinches » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:22 am UTC

Condimenting after a long day of heretical outside obligations. I really should reply to more, but this was way too specific to be mere coincidence:

mscha wrote:I don't think this has been posted yet... It turns out that stars can actually chirp.
Spoiler:
ETA brightness update:
newpix: top-left/top-right/bottom-right/bottom-left
np2469: 6/6/16/18
np2470: 6/6/16/18
np2471: 6/6/17/18
np2472: 6/6/17/18
np2473: 6/6/17/18
np2474: 6/6/18/18
np2475: 7/7/18/20
np2476: 8/9/24/24
np2477: 10/13/32/29
np2478: 16/18/45/41
np2479: 23/29/64/57
np2480: 32/39/85/75
Definitely speeding up. It's funny, though, that it's lighter at the (western) horizon than higher up in the sky. Sure, there's more atmospheric refraction (of twilight and/or light of the full moon which might be slightly to our left), but does that really make such a difference? Or is there some piece of civilization left, a city with bright lights in the distance, that causes atmospheric pollution?

I read that as I took a break from coding and debugging a script that outputs a combination of sequenced up and down chirps! And then I come back and two Chirpy songs were waiting for me. :D

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:01 am UTC

Mornong has brokong...

Megan did not fall asleep, yet.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Arky

Postby Arky » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:02 am UTC

If Megan lets Cueball rest as long as Cueball let Megan rest, and IF all frames during the Long Night and this subsequent morning are equal, then we've still got over 20 newpix of sleep frames to come.

Given the lack of star movements to keep the reader occupied, and given that daylight is wasting without them being any closer to getting help for Megs, somehow I don't think Cueball is going to get many more frames of rest. Although you never know. Maybe this is the GLR's way of having a couple of outsider days worth of "easy" updates.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:06 am UTC

mikro2nd wrote:
spamjam wrote:I'm still bothered by why the western sky brightened from the horizon up during sunrise. What's up with that (WTC?)? Couple of others have noticed as well, but nobody has any reason why. Another example of GLR's will?

Gegenshein. [Blindposting from 983, so maybe someone else has figured this one out already...]

No. Look at the lower picture in your link. That is Gegenshein.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:17 am UTC

spamjam wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:

No. Look at the lower picture in your link. That is Gegenshein.

OK - I have clearly misunderstood what Gegenshein is for a very long time :D I have seen the sort of "brightening of the night sky in the region of the antisolar point" on the horizon as depicted in the OTC and, after a bit of reading up (long, long ago!) assumed that what I was seeing was Gegenshein, but evidently not.

Guess I'm one of the 10k today :D

ETA: Is anyone else worried about Megan's leg getting infected? (It's been keeping me awake at night.) Wild molpys' claws are notoriously dirty - pretty much a guarantee of infection, and I didn't see any antiseptics being used.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:38 am UTC

mikro2nd wrote:ETA: Is anyone else worried about Megan's leg getting infected? (It's been keeping me awake at night.) Wild molpys' claws are notoriously dirty - pretty much a guarantee of infection, and I didn't see any antiseptics being used.

In the future they have probably laws that require all wildlife to clean their paws before attacking humans. If this meowlpy didn't wash it's hands then it can expect a hefty fine!

he/him/his

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:42 am UTC

Hey. Just checking in to let you know I'm still alive. Just fallen quite a bit behind on the thread lately. =/ Wedding plans are in overdrive right now, and finacee just moved into our new house, so things have been rather busy. On top of that, I've given most of my xkcd time to the wiki lately. BUT... I promise I will be back with more regular contributions again soon.

And I believe I'm coming due to give y'all another GIFt pretty soon here...

Wait well!
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

foilman

Postby foilman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:01 am UTC

WaitONG for it.

Is she waking him up?

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:16 am UTC

Hmm, did not expect there to be so little change in the OTC when I coma'd... Image

Valarya wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I don't know how wizardy my searches are, because most often when I search the OTT I feel like this:
Spoiler:

Or like the PRIMER portion of this?

We need (obviously) an OTC version of this! Might be a bit simple, though, although not quite as bad as the Twelve Angry Men one.
(An OTT version would be a mess, though, it would make the Primer one look trivial.)

Latent22 wrote:I was curious what newpix based terms we have adopted for measuring time etc. So I did some forum searches to get use counts for each term

For Days:
dix 135
xip 52
dayapix 19

How about icositetranewpix? (33)
I think we'll probably all just keep using whatever we feel like. (Ninja'd by several people, of course.)

slinches wrote:Condimenting after a long day of heretical outside obligations. I really should reply to more, but this was way too specific to be mere coincidence:

mscha wrote:I don't think this has been posted yet... It turns out that stars can actually chirp.
Spoiler:
ETA brightness update:
newpix: top-left/top-right/bottom-right/bottom-left
np2469: 6/6/16/18
np2470: 6/6/16/18
np2471: 6/6/17/18
np2472: 6/6/17/18
np2473: 6/6/17/18
np2474: 6/6/18/18
np2475: 7/7/18/20
np2476: 8/9/24/24
np2477: 10/13/32/29
np2478: 16/18/45/41
np2479: 23/29/64/57
np2480: 32/39/85/75
Definitely speeding up. It's funny, though, that it's lighter at the (western) horizon than higher up in the sky. Sure, there's more atmospheric refraction (of twilight and/or light of the full moon which might be slightly to our left), but does that really make such a difference? Or is there some piece of civilization left, a city with bright lights in the distance, that causes atmospheric pollution?

I read that as I took a break from coding and debugging a script that outputs a combination of sequenced up and down chirps! And then I come back and two Chirpy songs were waiting for me. :D

Well, I'll be waiting for your script's rendition of this ottification, then. Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:21 am UTC

The chirpy songs of the last newpage reminded me of a song I planned to OTTify (and possibly sing and make a video of, since it's essentially the only song I can sing in front of people with any confidence) and gave me an idea for it. So here you go. Sorry it's not in a spoiler, those of you who like spoilers; I wanted to put the last word in its own spoiler.

Chirpy Molpy Wait
an ottody of Chicken Monkey Duck by Mike Phirman

Molpy chirpy chirpy,
Molpy Chirpy, wait wait,
Chirpy molpy molpy, Chirpy Molpy,
chirpy chirpy molpy wait.
Molpy wait,
Chirpy wait,
Molpy molpy wait wait,
Chirpy Molpy, chirpy chirpy molpy,
"Chirpy Molpy Wait."

Chirpy chirpy molpy wait,
Chirpy Molpy, wait wait,
Chirpy chirpy molpy,
Chirpy molpy,
Chirpy wait.
Chirpy wait wait,
Chirpy molpy molpy wait,
"Chirpy Molpy Wait?"
Chirpy wait.
Molpy wait wait:
Chirpy chirpy, molpy,
Chirpy, molpy molpy, Chirpy Molpy.
Chirpy chirpy molpy?
Chirpy, molpy molpy,
"Chirpy Molpy Wait."

Chirpy chirpy, molpy,
"Chirpy Molpy Wait."
Chirpy chirpy, wait.
Chirpy Molpy, molpy,
Chirpy Molpy—chirpy wait.

Wait, Chirpy Molpy
Chirpy chirpy molpy, chirpy.
Wait wait,
Chirpy chirpy, wait.
Chirpy, molpy molpy...
Chirpy!

Wait wait, Chirpy Molpy,
Chirpy chirpy, molpy.
Chirpy Chirpy (molpy molpy),
Chirpy molpy,
"Chirpy Molpy Wait."

Chirpy chirpy chirpy,
Molpy molpy,
Chirpy Molpy:
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait,
Spoiler:
"It."

I was originally thinking of using molpies and beesnakes, and I found beesnake kind of clumsy to sing that quickly. Chirpy is the obvious solution, which is even easier to accurately substitute on the flybeesnake by virtue of (like molpy) sharing the first phoneme with the original word. Plus, a chicken is a kind of chirpy and a monkey is a kind of molpy. So this is really just a generalisation. The jury is still out on whether a duck is a kind of wait, but I think it has been previously shown that ducks are made of wood and weights can be made of wood, so it's possible.

If people want me to, and if I have time, and if I can get the instrumental version of the original song, I'll sing it and make a video using OTC frames (and maybe the occasional yappo-style badgermolpy.)

Edit: I just realised that was my 400th post! Now I wish I'd made it a video. Oh well.
Spoiler:
"clIt."
Last edited by Angelastic on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:27 am UTC

Image Molpy alert! Image
cancelled - stand down everybody

There's something molpish going on just to the left of Cuegan. Looks like Megan has spotted something, but hasn't identified it yet.

ETA: Or is it just Cueball's snoring making the grass blades move?

ETA3: Or Cueball's legs. Image

ETA2:
Angelastic wrote:Chirpy Molpy Wait
an ottody of Chicken Monkey Duck by Mike Phirman

⁴! Image
You should definitely make that recording and video!
Last edited by mscha on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:44 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Image Molpy alert! Image

There's something molpish going on just to the left of Cuegan. Looks like Megan has spotted something, but hasn't identified it yet.

Which way round is cueball lying? I think those are his limbs, which means he's stirring
(especially combined with his head movement, he's rolling over)
He/Him/His Image

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:52 am UTC

HES wrote:
mscha wrote:
Image Molpy alert! Image

Which way round is cueball lying? I think those are his limbs, which means he's stirring

Yeah, when you look at the Book of Aubron or otherwise, that's definitely his body to that side.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:56 am UTC

HES wrote:Which way round is cueball lying? I think those are his limbs, which means he's stirring

You're right, of course. Image
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl even pointed out his legs sticks, and I didn't see what she was talking about...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:00 am UTC

come ONG, cueball..
Last edited by HES on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”