1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Latent22

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Latent22 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:00 am UTC

Yeah he is just having dreams about keyboards and stirring in his sleep.

Edit: My decree for his page is that everyone has to write like they are posting on a forum page on the internet.
Last edited by Latent22 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:02 am UTC

HES wrote:come ONG, cueball..

Goat ong, and he's still not waking :evil:

ETA anyway, it's 10 newpix past comatime so I really should go... I seriously hope they've moved on when I get back.
He/Him/His Image

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:11 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Latent22 wrote:I was curious what newpix based terms we have adopted for measuring time etc. So I did some forum searches to get use counts for each term

For Days:
dix 135
xip 52
dayapix 19

How about icositetranewpix? (33)
I think we'll probably all just keep using whatever we feel like.

Yeah really I expect everyone to carry on doing what they were doing and ignore any standards laid out. That is why suggesting the currently most used terms is best. Because most people ignore it and carry on but it still works because they pick what they are already using :)

And the rest was just me brainstorming

Edit: There are probably some that have chosen terms they think are heretical and when they find it is now the norm will probably change to something else though ;)

Edit2: Also on the icositetranewpix I think this will always be a valid option because it is just a greek prefix on the word newpix. So any other greek prefix could be used when apropriate as well. But yeah I think its an almost impossible slog to get everyone to use it dix to dix. But I'm sure it will be used many times for old times sake.

Edit3: Man it's slow when they sleep like this. You get a whole hour of just me talking to myself.

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:03 am UTC

mikro2nd wrote:
spamjam wrote:I'm still bothered by why the western sky brightened from the horizon up during sunrise. What's up with that (WTC?)? Couple of others have noticed as well, but nobody has any reason why. Another example of GLR's will?

Gegenshein. [Blindposting from 983, so maybe someone else has figured this one out already...]

Or alpenglow. That's pretty common, and commonly pretty.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:06 am UTC

WaitONG for Cueball to wake:

edfel

Postby edfel » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:11 am UTC

Flotter wrote:WaitONG for Cueball to wake:

This is how GLR punishes those that were getting bored when Cuegan walked...
And for those who're not getting bored, that's not a punishment, so everything's fine :)

Spoiler:
nooo it's not fine! wake up you stupid Cueball! Molpy up!
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:11 am UTC

It's LaPetite! It's LaPetite! The One True Beret Wearer, LaPetite, has appeared! On page 380, no less. :D
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Seeking Rainbows
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:17 am UTC

Molpy up! Good morninx to you all.

Oh dear, still asleep is he?

Latent22 wrote:
mscha wrote:
Latent22 wrote:I was curious what newpix based terms we have adopted for measuring time etc. So I did some forum searches to get use counts for each term

For Days:
dix 135
xip 52
dayapix 19

How about icositetranewpix? (33)
I think we'll probably all just keep using whatever we feel like.

Yeah really I expect everyone to carry on doing what they were doing and ignore any standards laid out. That is why suggesting the currently most used terms is best. Because most people ignore it and carry on but it still works because they pick what they are already using :)

And the rest was just me brainstorming

Edit: There are probably some that have chosen terms they think are heretical and when they find it is now the norm will probably change to something else though ;)

Edit2: Also on the icositetranewpix I think this will always be a valid option because it is just a greek prefix on the word newpix. So any other greek prefix could be used when apropriate as well. But yeah I think its an almost impossible slog to get everyone to use it dix to dix. But I'm sure it will be used many times for old times sake.

Edit3: Man it's slow when they sleep like this. You get a whole hour of just me talking to myself.

As for the dix/dip wix/wip mix/mip yix/wip and all that: I always considered it just a means for us to avoid using heretical time standards, and that there was no official measure of newpix per unit of OTT time standard. Also, I prefer to avoid using dix because it often makes me giggle...hehehe...dix. *clears throat* In any case, I think we all understand its proper usage simply by context and constant use (isn't that any language, really?) and if one were to "standardize" some meaning - perhaps for purposes of the wiki and introducing them to neophytes of the OTT - then I would suggest broad definitions, such as "a dix/dip is understood to be a period of time consisting of an Outside day's worth of newpix" or something like that.

I can never remember the incremental terms of measuring partial newpix, that someone once suggested. So I simply avoid talking about time segments less than a newpix, to avoid using heretical outside standards.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:22 am UTC

rmcurtis wrote:WHITE-ONG

How much longer will Megan let Cue sleep?

Sleep? naah "He's ... dead!, Jim."

ETA: in accordance with the pope's decree: omglol write lik on some forumz page? Hi guys send me warez w007. // You must be new here //Whoosh // UR an idiot and so is the GP plus the editors here never even read the summaries.//

No, sorry, I can't do that (Dave). It's just too awful.
Last edited by cellocgw on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:24 am UTC

TheMinim wrote:It's LaPetite! It's LaPetite! The One True Beret Wearer, LaPetite, has appeared! On page 380, no less. :D

You get cake to celebrate in the next newpage I think

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:42 am UTC

Just a quick note that Cueball has now been sleepingchirp for 39 newpix. Assuming the time per newpix is the same as it was during the night (about 6½ minutesI), that means he's had less than 4½ hoursI of sleep.
We might be here for a while...
(Megan, go do something interesting while Cueball sleeps.)

I: Inside units
chirp: ignoring the fact that Megan disturbed him to mention the chirping.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:44 am UTC

How about some more If I were LaPetite... from the past?

Maybe one of you lot could find the past installment for me and post the link? If not, that's fine too.

Spoiler:
A trio of stickfigures were clanned together, sat down on the smooth sand (Or was it bacontoffeecoffee?). LaPetite was marking the sand (bacontoffeecoffeebaby) absentmindedly, while Cueball and Megan were talking seriously.

"All of these outsiders watching us," Megan sighed. "Can't we build a Sandcastle (bacontoffeecoffeebabyice castle) in peace?"

"It would be much fairer if we could watch them too," Cueball muttered.

"Perhaps we can," Megan said. "LaPetite, want to have some fun?"

"Huh?" LaPetite was not known for paying attention.

"We need a spy. And I think you'd fit in perfectly with the Mad Ones,"

"Cake,"

Megan sighed. "Can you go and spy on the Mad ones?"

"Well, I tin-"

"Will you?" Cueball asked.

"Okay. Should I go through all their records as well?"

"Not as yet, I doubt you need to,"

"Okay,"

And LaPetite left. Megan and Cueball smiled at each other.

"Well, now that she's out of the way..." Cueball said, smiling and getting nearer Megan.

Megan kissed him, and they went to hide behind the sandcastle, ending up with sand all over.

LaPetite had found herself seriously enjoying the time she had to spend with the Mad Ones. She stayed near enough to them and kept up with the record when she had to coma. It was when she was suddenly sent a note when she sighed and looked at the others. It read:

LaPetite,

We believe that there is much significance in the records of the Mad Ones. To this end, you must read them, for they may contain vital knowledge. We wish you well.

Cueball and Megan.

LaPetite sighed. She would have to do a BlitzQuest even though she had loved the company of the Mad ones. She turned to the beginning.
Seeking Rainbows
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:50 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:ETA: in accordance with the pope's decree: omglol write lik on some forumz page? Hi guys send me warez w007. // You must be new here //Whoosh // UR an idiot and so is the GP plus the editors here never even read the summaries.//

UR 4N ID10T 4 s4yang IR N 1D!oT! Readin summries is so 1982! We dont never readin summries naow!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Just a quick note that Cueball has now been sleepingchirp for 39 newpix. Assuming the time per newpix is the same as it was during the night (about 6½ minutesI), that means he's had less than 4½ hoursI of sleep.
We might be here for a while...
(Megan, go do something interesting while Cueball sleeps.)

I: Inside units
chirp: ignoring the fact that Megan disturbed him to mention the chirping.

What would be the rating of the OTC? Is it PG(-13)? R ? X ?

This might limit the possibilities of 'interesting' somewhat.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
cellocgw wrote:ETA: in accordance with the pope's decree: omglol write lik on some forumz page? Hi guys send me warez w007. // You must be new here //Whoosh // UR an idiot and so is the GP plus the editors here never even read the summaries.//

UR 4N ID10T 4 s4yang IR N 1D!oT! Readin summries is so 1982! We dont never readin summries naow!

tl;dr

Cueball is a molpy :lol: Well, people are animals.

Would a molpy picture with a badly-spelled caption be a lolpy?
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:09 pm UTC

Still not wakONG:

[edit]
And still no new What If...

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

I just realized we missed a cake opportunity. Well, better late than never...

Happy 2500th newpix, Time!

We're now at 2505 frames, excluding apocryphal and meteor.
(Ch*rpin' m*stard still not fixed, by the way.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:21 pm UTC

owlpy.jpg
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

Only partially de-comaed, but:

Neil_Boekend wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:ETA: Is anyone else worried about Megan's leg getting infected? (It's been keeping me awake at night.) Wild molpys' claws are notoriously dirty - pretty much a guarantee of infection, and I didn't see any antiseptics being used.

In the future they have probably laws that require all wildlife to clean their paws before attacking humans. If this meowlpy didn't wash it's hands then it can expect a hefty fine!

I think:
Neil_Boekend meant to write:
However, Lucky, being a notorious scofflaw, deliberately infected xer claws with Clawstridium tetani. Megan will die a horrible death from tetanus. Cueball will die of a broken heart. Thus ends time.

Right? Surely, being deceased yourself, you wouldn't forget to wish Megan and Cueball a speedy path to join you!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

Marsh'n wrote:Only partially de-comaed, but:

Neil_Boekend wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:ETA: Is anyone else worried about Megan's leg getting infected? (It's been keeping me awake at night.) Wild molpys' claws are notoriously dirty - pretty much a guarantee of infection, and I didn't see any antiseptics being used.

In the future they have probably laws that require all wildlife to clean their paws before attacking humans. If this meowlpy didn't wash it's hands then it can expect a hefty fine!

I think:
Neil_Boekend meant to write:
However, Lucky, being a notorious scofflaw, deliberately infected xer claws with Clawstridium tetani. Megan will die a horrible death from tetanus. Cueball will die of a broken heart. Thus ends time.

Right? Surely, being deceased yourself, you wouldn't forget to wish Megan and Cueball a speedy path to join you!

I do believe my average prediction points in that direction, yes. If Megan dies from Lucky's wound it's usually gangrene though, next wound I will mix gangrene up with tetanus and rabies.
That doesn't change the fact that Lucky is legally obliged to wash it's hands before attacking, and thus it can expect a hefty fine.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What if reminder

he/him/his

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

Just a quick note to point out that another numerical milestone approacheth: As of midnight RDT, we'll have had a full 100 Outside days of Time (105 icositetranewpix, for the Outside-impaired).

Oh, and the new What-If? is up.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:I do believe my average prediction points in that direction, yes. If Megan dies from Lucky's wound it's usually gangrene though, next wound I will mix gangrene up with tetanus and rabies.
That doesn't change the fact that Lucky is legally obliged to wash it's hands before attacking, and thus it can expect a hefty fine.

Oh, sorry, Clawstridium prefringens then. I presume because Lucky is such a scofflaw and has committed many crimes (including chewing off LaPetit's beret-clad head), xe will be executed. Having eliminated all of the primary named characters, Thus ends Time.

BlitzGirl wrote:I don't know how wizardy my searches are, because most often when I search the OTT I feel like this:
Spoiler:

By which you mean you're having fun but there's so much more to unravel?

Angelastic wrote:The chirpy songs of the last newpage reminded me of a song I planned to OTTify (and possibly sing and make a video of, since it's essentially the only song I can sing in front of people with any confidence) and gave me an idea for it. So here you go. Sorry it's not in a spoiler, those of you who like spoilers; I wanted to put the last word in its own spoiler.
Spoiler:
Chirpy Molpy Wait
an ottody of Chicken Monkey Duck by Mike Phirman

Molpy chirpy chirpy,
Molpy Chirpy, wait wait,
Chirpy molpy molpy, Chirpy Molpy,
chirpy chirpy molpy wait.
Molpy wait,
Chirpy wait,
Molpy molpy wait wait,
Chirpy Molpy, chirpy chirpy molpy,
"Chirpy Molpy Wait."

Chirpy chirpy molpy wait,
Chirpy Molpy, wait wait,
Chirpy chirpy molpy,
Chirpy molpy,
Chirpy wait.
Chirpy wait wait,
Chirpy molpy molpy wait,
"Chirpy Molpy Wait?"
Chirpy wait.
Molpy wait wait:
Chirpy chirpy, molpy,
Chirpy, molpy molpy, Chirpy Molpy.
Chirpy chirpy molpy?
Chirpy, molpy molpy,
"Chirpy Molpy Wait."

Chirpy chirpy, molpy,
"Chirpy Molpy Wait."
Chirpy chirpy, wait.
Chirpy Molpy, molpy,
Chirpy Molpy—chirpy wait.

Wait, Chirpy Molpy
Chirpy chirpy molpy, chirpy.
Wait wait,
Chirpy chirpy, wait.
Chirpy, molpy molpy...
Chirpy!

Wait wait, Chirpy Molpy,
Chirpy chirpy, molpy.
Chirpy Chirpy (molpy molpy),
Chirpy molpy,
"Chirpy Molpy Wait."

Chirpy chirpy chirpy,
Molpy molpy,
Chirpy Molpy:
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait,
"It."

I was originally thinking of using molpies and beesnakes, and I found beesnake kind of clumsy to sing that quickly. Chirpy is the obvious solution, which is even easier to accurately substitute on the flybeesnake by virtue of (like molpy) sharing the first phoneme with the original word. Plus, a chicken is a kind of chirpy and a monkey is a kind of molpy. So this is really just a generalisation. The jury is still out on whether a duck is a kind of wait, but I think it has been previously shown that ducks are made of wood and weights can be made of wood, so it's possible.

If people want me to, and if I have time, and if I can get the instrumental version of the original song, I'll sing it and make a video using OTC frames (and maybe the occasional yappo-style badgermolpy.)

Good RANDALL, if you can sing that with confidence, what can't you sing? Looking forward to the video for sure, but take your Time :-)

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
HES wrote:
ggh wrote:HES, I'm with you on the name thing - completely.

Just to clarify, this includes the people I've been living with for a year

Working with, for me, but I've never shared a flat, so I don't know for sure. I am notoriously rude, in that I never do introductions for this very reason, even when I should be really comfortable with both parties' names. Worse, my facial recognition software is not very good, so I often don't recognize those I've met until I get to know them better. Too many times my "nice to meet you" has been met with a chilly "we've met." Embarrassing.

It's even more awkward when the response is: "we've chirped."
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

foilman

Postby foilman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

More waitONG

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

Marsh'n wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I do believe my average prediction points in that direction, yes. If Megan dies from Lucky's wound it's usually gangrene though, next wound I will mix gangrene up with tetanus and rabies.

Oh, sorry, Clawstridium prefringens then. I presume because Lucky is such a scofflaw and has committed many crimes (including chewing off LaPetit's beret-clad head), xe will be executed. Having eliminated all of the primary named characters, Thus ends Time.

Thank you for that honor.

he/him/his

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

Spoiler:
For Days:
dix 135
xip 52
dayapix 19

For Weeks:
wix 51
wip 82
weekapix 11

mip 40
yip 34

For single units:
newpix 2989
newpic 452
Timeframe 685
longpix 226

So from this we can now adopt a standard (which many will probably ignore anyway) of:

dix for 24 newpix
wip for a period of 7 dix or 168 newpix or an outside week
mip for an outside month or period of about 30 dix
yip for an outside year or period of about 365 dix

And we have pretty much settled on newpix as well.

Still Up for debate may be how a dix and a wip work when talking about any period involving the first 240 newpix. Many would say there were 2 dix per outside day at this time but some may disagree.

And since this period was so short wip is a bit useless at this point in time so it may be easier to link wips to outside days/weeks and not inside ones. In fact I think it would be great to make this standard for all ?ip terms. So wip/mip/yip are always related to outside dates and times and would be used most often. Then we could use dix/wix/mix/yix for newpix based times which are always 24/168/672/34944 newpix (that is with 13 mix per yix and 4 wix per mix). These forms of time counting do not line up exactly with outside calender dates etc. Note these date forms other than dix which is simple may not be used as much in day to day conversation but they could be used when doing technical timing things or discussions.

We could also adopt xip (or maybe dip) as the wip/mip/yip equivalent for a time unit matching an outside day.

In summery we would use dix/wip/mip/yip when talking about things in the forum relating to time intervals
unless you are dealing with technical timelines going back to the start of the OTC in which case you could use dix/wix/mix/yix instead.

Also note plurals would be dix/wix/mix/yix/wips/mips/yips

Your feedback would be great thanks.

Aaah! A standard, a standard! Ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball. United we stand opposed to standards!
*Grabs the children and hides in a fort of children's books and stuffed animals.*

*Carefully removes a small plush cthullu and peeps out* Did the standard charm against standards work?

By this time, Latent, we're all too set in our ways for this to help. :wink: On the other hand, great job researching! Can that go in the Wiki?
Last edited by BlueCrab on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

Blitzing is pretty cool! Isn't that so, Corinne?

Corinne: There's nobody to bite.

TheMinim: You weren't going to bite anyone anyway. C'mon, we're getting to pastures familiar!

Corinne: How do you know I wasn't going to bite anyone?

TheMinim: Oh, I just know...
Seeking Rainbows

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:*Carefully removes a small plush cthullu and peeps out* Did the standard charm against standards work?

Should a non-standard be a sittard? Or a lizard?

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

For Days:
dix 135
xip 52
dayapix 19

And a lot of us use 'dip' for day because, well... we're perverts. And cannot, therefore, use dix without giggling like a 12 year old. *ahem*

Arky wrote:When Cueball and Megan approached the cabin for the first time I joked that they were Joel and Ellie from The Last of Us. Doubly a reason to hope there's no infection

:D Who would LaPetite be? I want to say Bill but that doesn't fit the story. Haha

-----
Oooh, I didn't realize those were Cue's legs sticks either! I just assumed the backpack was still attached to his back, which is why I mentioned earlier about him looking so cute. This revelation just reordered everything in my mind. -_-
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:*Carefully removes a small plush cthullu and peeps out*

Just want to note that those apparently exist.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:
Spoiler:
I was curious what newpix based terms we have adopted for measuring time etc. So I did some forum searches to get use counts for each term

For Days:
dix 135
xip 52
dayapix 19

For Weeks:
wix 51
wip 82
weekapix 11

mip 40
yip 34

For single units:
newpix 2989
newpic 452
Timeframe 685
longpix 226

So from this we can now adopt a standard (which many will probably ignore anyway) of:

dix for 24 newpix
wip for a period of 7 dix or 168 newpix or an outside week
mip for an outside month or period of about 30 dix
yip for an outside year or period of about 365 dix
Spoiler:
And we have pretty much settled on newpix as well.

Still Up for debate may be how a dix and a wip work when talking about any period involving the first 240 newpix. Many would say there were 2 dix per outside day at this time but some may disagree.

And since this period was so short wip is a bit useless at this point in time so it may be easier to link wips to outside days/weeks and not inside ones. In fact I think it would be great to make this standard for all ?ip terms. So wip/mip/yip are always related to outside dates and times and would be used most often. Then we could use dix/wix/mix/yix for newpix based times which are always 24/168/672/34944 newpix (that is with 13 mix per yix and 4 wix per mix). These forms of time counting do not line up exactly with outside calender dates etc. Note these date forms other than dix which is simple may not be used as much in day to day conversation but they could be used when doing technical timing things or discussions.

We could also adopt xip (or maybe dip) as the wip/mip/yip equivalent for a time unit matching an outside day.

In summery we would use dix/wip/mip/yip when talking about things in the forum relating to time intervals
unless you are dealing with technical timelines going back to the start of the OTC in which case you could use dix/wix/mix/yix instead.

Also note plurals would be dix/wix/mix/yix/wips/mips/yips

Your feedback would be great thanks.

I am still firmly of the opinion that we should be using xip for day rather than dix, mainly because it fits better with wip/mip/yip. And because I can accidentally say it Outside and keep a straight face, which isn't the case for "dix". :P Also, hey, a standard! Ni ni ni...

DavidRa wrote:
Latent22 wrote:{Excellent analytic work}

So from this we can now adopt a standard {snip}

Hold up there a second ... I understood that standards are considered a form of heresy. As a result I must disagree - and quote you the standarder response:

ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball!

Standard averted ...

er Yes, I'm well aware of the irony here.

Hey, a standard! Ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

At page 391, Blitzgirl is about 40 pages behind. At the moment that I read page 391, I am just under 600 pages behind. Conclusion: the longer you wait to Blitz, the harder it gets.

Corinne: And I don't get to bite people.

TheMinim: It's all cool, anyway.
Seeking Rainbows

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

Prediction:

Spoiler:

BONK!.png

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:*Carefully removes a small plush cthullu and peeps out*

Just want to note that those apparently exist.

Yes, I know. Actually, ours is a meowlpy toy. :lol:

Off to get my Little Bear...
*Today is the day
The Teddy Bears have
Their picnic...*

(I've always found the music to that song really creepy, anyone else?)
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

Wow. 100 dips and 2500 newpix. And only 22 more newpages until the OTT reaches 1000! Very exciting. Though, were Cueball to wake up and Cuegan to continue their journey, we may reach 1000 a bit more quickly, as I'm sure we'd have more to discuss. Still. this lull in the OTC and the OTT will give our courageous blitzers some extra time to ketchup.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

thirds

Postby thirds » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

The ketchup looks like the coma. Wow.

Whizbang wrote:Prediction:

Spoiler:

Yes please!

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

Spoiler:

BONK!.png

:lol: :D
This is absolutly, by far, my favorite post in the whole thread!! I literally did a spit take with my coffee (back into my cup though, so no monitors where harmed in the reading of funny}.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

foilman

Postby foilman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

LookONG back

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

Spoiler:

(And thank you for saving me the trouble of having to make that myself. (I'm sure all OTTers who read the what-if immediately thought of this as a mash-up...)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

Spoiler:

BONK!.png

If that's what it takes to wake Cueball... Make it so!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”