Heroes! (No spoiler tags for episodes already aired in US)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

yellie

Re: Heroes: Here thar be spoilers (US Edition)

Postby yellie » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:29 pm UTC

Bad accent notwithstanding, Gambit in Heroes would be sheer awesome.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:36 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:A little Gambit would totally redeem this series, to be sure. Unfortunately, the way things are going, he'd have the most horribly grating fake accent ever.

I garoooontee
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:21 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:A little Gambit would totally redeem this series, to be sure. Unfortunately, the way things are going, he'd have the most horribly grating fake accent ever.

too late? err...what mosc said.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:30 am UTC

Alisto wrote:
Yakk wrote:It was at the voting booth.

That was not her true form.

The only painting that didn't come true was done on the floor, which could have something to do with it.

Doesn't matter, It showed she wasn't so obsessed with looks that she wasn't willing to at least make an illusion where she wasn't beautiful/moderately good looking. There's no reason to believe what we saw was her true form and not just another illusion in which she doesn't happen to look good.

Can you honestly say there's a series that wouldn't be redeemed by a little Gambit?
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:30 am UTC

Okay, after tonight, I'll say it: fuck Heroes.

Journeyman seemed like it could be worth watching.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Lyra Ngalia

Postby Lyra Ngalia » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:19 am UTC

NewZach (West) needs to shut up and die. Everything he says/does is alternately creepy or painfully lame.

I like Monica though. She's like Charlie 2.0, now with multimedia.

And thank GOD Nathan got rid of the parasite that was trying to eat his face.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path... Only I will remain.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:17 pm UTC

ARGH! No one in New Orleans sounds like that!
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:09 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Okay, after tonight, I'll say it: fuck Heroes.

Journeyman seemed like it could be worth watching.

That bad, eh? I'm watching it tonight at my friend (the sign maker) Lisa's.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

yellie

Postby yellie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:33 pm UTC

This season is kind of disappointing.

Some thoughts on latest episode:
- I feel like I'm watching a really lame, sucky episode of Smallville whenever West is on screen.
- Sylar is hilarious "Well, golly, they seem so nice..."
- No Irish. Hurray!
- So glad the Pasbeard is gone.
- I don't feel bad at all when I say I hope Molly doesn't wake up.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:35 pm UTC

Where I watched it lacked the final five/ten minutes. Linkplz so I can comment on the last bit?

And Sylar is the only interesting thing so far in this series.

yellie

Postby yellie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:46 pm UTC

Oh shit, sorry for the spoiling, there! I watched it here: http://stage6.divx.com/user/milox0/video/1746511/hsgdv<204<nsdpkghkwerg

I'm curious about why Sylar lost his powers - at least some of Sylar's insanity seems to be tied into his powers. This got supported a little more in "The Hard Part," where it wasn't until after he used his cryokinesis in his mom's apartment that he started getting that familiar "the lights are on, but nobody's home" look on his face -- and that he really started getting violent.

But if his abilities disappeared, would some of his sanity start to reappear? The fact that he reverted back to his original name tonight tells a lot. Of course he'd still be massively fucked up, but at the very least, having an ability that causes you, by default, to break down everything you see into its component pieces and seek out its flaws -- that sure won't do you any favors if you're predisposed toward sociopathy anyway.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:46 pm UTC

S'okay, Jordan spoiled it for me over chat anyway.

Thanks for linkage.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:52 pm UTC

Of course, that power is returning. They started using the clock sound effect during the scene with the american kid toward the end.

That said, I don't think it was the powers that are making him nuts (at least not in any supernatural or biological way), I honestly think it's his drive to be special, which came from his mom. That quote in "The Hard Part" kindof sums up his issues.

Sylar: Maybe I don't need to be special. Maybe I could just be a normal watchmaker. Can't you please, just once, say that that's good enough?

Sylar's Mom: Why would I ever say that, when you could be so much more?

That said, I think he's starting to come out of that on his own. It might be that, since he's weakened and powerless, he has to pause on his quest for power, and it's giving him time to think about it all. I really hope they're trying to do an atonement storyline for him. It would be interesting as hell.

They/them

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:00 pm UTC

Note that he did kill the person calling the cops on the murderers, and then lie to them that they where being chased.

They are, however, creating some tension and opening the possibility of redemption.

Note the bloodlines keep on showing up. I wouldn't be surprised if Nikki's dad was Cop-boy's dad (can never remember his name).

From the photo, note that Peter's Dad's head was turned. This makes it easier to come up with an actor later on to play that part, in say a flashback, or other "back from the dead" bit, without having to retcon it.

I wonder what Ohura's power is?
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:18 pm UTC

Note that he did kill the person calling the cops on the murderers, and then lie to them that they where being chased.

Even if he's not doing the serial murder thing anymore, and even if he genuinely wants to help the other specials now, I imagine he probably still thinks specials are *better* than other people. That guy was a threat to his betters.

Redemption is a weird road.

They/them

TiberiusM

Postby TiberiusM » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:48 pm UTC

I kinda thought Sylar tied his name to his powers (or quest for power), and now that hes lost it he reverted to Gabriel. Although the redemption thing would be nifty too.

But I agree that this season is lacking in awesome.

jamesusillxd

Postby jamesusillxd » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:55 pm UTC

I live in the UK...
And iive sucsessfully pissed of my mate by giving him all the spoilers...
So... Are Nathan and Clair Dead... Like... Really dead...
Caus reading about alll this alternate realitys is confusing me...

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:07 pm UTC

I liked the episode. And I like Molly. I realize this puts me in the minority, but oh well.

Also, Parkman's dad is the boogeyman?! Oh noes!
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

George Orr

Postby George Orr » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:55 pm UTC

The whole Claire storyline at this point is just painfully awkward and generally shitty, but other than that this latest episode was somewhat decent, compared to the previous ones. I'm glad that the plot with the two Mexican kids is finally starting to go somewhere, but it raises the question: what was Sylar doing in Mexico? Was that just a generally out-of-the-way spot?

I agree with TiberiusM that Sylar linked his name to his powers. But I'd also add that using his actual name is better cover if he actually gets the kids to New York and somehow uses them to gain info about Suresh and crew.

The only aspect of this new season that I'm actually enjoying is the whole mystery thing about the group of old heroes/manipulators. It's cool that Parkman's dad is the bad guy (if he's the only one...), but it pisses me off that it took this long for them to come up with this idea, and just had Molly screaming for the first 3 episodes. If she dies, it would definitely provide some awesome tension between Parkman and his dad when they meet, which is inevitable.
Go, said the bird, for the leaves were full of children,
Hidden excitedly, containing laughter.
Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind
Cannot bear very much reality.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:03 pm UTC

I kindof wonder what Parkman's dad's power is. Most people only have one power, unless their power is "moar powerz!", and I can't imagine that "being able to look back at Molly" is a particularly comprehensive one. So that has to be an *aspect* of a larger power, but I can't think what.

They/them

yellie

Postby yellie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:12 pm UTC

Although there isn't much of a similarity between family members' powers, Parkman's dad could have a mind control ability while Matt has the mind reading ability? His dad could have Molly trapped in her own mind, and that's why she's in a coma/dream like state.

It doesn't really explain the ability to "look back at Molly" however.

George Orr

Postby George Orr » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:20 pm UTC

I was thinking it could be the ability to enter other people's dreams, but that was just a vague notion, and it would be a pretty weak power for a super-villian, which is what he's being set up as. It has to be an aspect of whatever larger power he's capable of, though, since he can obviously do something with Molly's dreams.

The mind-control idea would fit nicely with the attack on the Petrelli lady. I remember it being said that the wounds were self-inflicted, so he could have entered her mind and made her try to kill herself.
Go, said the bird, for the leaves were full of children,
Hidden excitedly, containing laughter.
Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind
Cannot bear very much reality.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

yellie wrote:I'm curious about why Sylar lost his powers...

Speculation:
Spoiler:
I'd assumed it was because of the disease.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:54 am UTC

The disease has symptoms that the company is familiar with already. It's probably due to, let's see, the massive trauma at the end of S1.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:27 am UTC

You mean when Hiro hit his weak point for massive damage?

I'm actually really enjoying this season so far. The fact that each hero has family ties to the Company Men makes sense, as the main theme of Heroes is how they all connect; past, present, future.
Given that, I wonder what West's connections are. That about all I wonder about him, however, I want him to die. Soon. The whole Claire story seems like a painful rehash of her last adventures.
Peter's story, as well, is getting very silly. I mean, he was found in a carton of iPods by an Irish mafia? Really? And now he's being chased by a secret agent (from what the trailers indicate). It's like Superfriends meets The Bourne Identity. And yes, I meant Superfriends. Not the Justice League. Oh hell no.

The other stories, however, are interesting. Early prediction: Matt's dad is not the Company killer. The show is strongly hinting at that, but somehow, I get the feeling it's a red herring.

Overall, I'm still waiting for that one outstanding episode like "Company Man" last season, that brings everything together and kicks the show into high gear.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:46 am UTC

Belial wrote:I kindof wonder what Parkman's dad's power is. Most people only have one power, unless their power is "moar powerz!", and I can't imagine that "being able to look back at Molly" is a particularly comprehensive one. So that has to be an *aspect* of a larger power, but I can't think what.

I wouldn't be surprised if, given the 'theme' of repeating powers, Molly and Parkman's dad have the same power.

In this case, Parkman's dad would have greater control of his power, which is almost certainly more than just "finding people/things".

That would at least provide a reason for Parkman's dad to be able to 'look back at Molly', and could be fairly interesting.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Spot

Postby Spot » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:50 am UTC

Belial wrote:I kindof wonder what Parkman's dad's power is. Most people only have one power, unless their power is "moar powerz!", and I can't imagine that "being able to look back at Molly" is a particularly comprehensive one. So that has to be an *aspect* of a larger power, but I can't think what.

His power might be some sort of reflective mimicry which would allow him to use powers that are used on him. That would be pretty weird though.
Also, let's not forget that he can see and communicate with Molly while she's asleep. That brings up questions of thought-speech and telepathy and all that stuff (which would fit in with Matt's power).

I also want West to die.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:20 am UTC

I just don't see how the people making this show could have done much more to ruin those characters that were most compelling in the first season, by putting them on the back burner, killing them off, or writing them absolutely vomitous dialogue. It's a train wreck.

GMontag

Postby GMontag » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:58 pm UTC

Alisto wrote:And sorry, Cat, but Linderman is toast.

So I was rewatching the first episode of this season, and at the beginning they had a bunch of short clips from scenes. Some of them were from the first season, but some were from this season. I saw at least four that haven't been shown yet in this season, including a scene of Bennet punching out someone who, while his face was away from the camera, looks surprisingly like Linderman. So he may not be dead after all.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:48 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I just don't see how the people making this show could have done much more to ruin those characters that were most compelling in the first season, by putting them on the back burner, killing them off, or writing them absolutely vomitous dialogue. It's a train wreck.

While I can't say anything about the vomitous dialogue, I kindof understand about the back burner thing. Very simply, Peter, Hiro, and Sylar, are *too damn powerful*. While the first season was very much about these three coming into their power, with other, less-focused-on storylines running alongside, those storylines kindof wrapped up. Peter had his big explosion, Hiro had his big heroic moment, and Sylar got roundly trounced.

Now, they want to focus on other characters, and the only way they can do that without suffering from "Peter/Hiro shows up and saves the day" syndrome is to shuffle those characters off-stage somehow. And the only way to explore some threat other than Sylar was to move him off-stage and gimp him somehow.

So that makes sense. They got their spotlight.

Killing DL off did bother me, though.

They/them

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:12 pm UTC

The only thing that's bothering me is there are too many characters. Whom have they killed off? DL, Linderman, Isaac, Candace, Ted. But new characters were added. Claire's boyfriend, Maya, Alejandro, Micah's cousin, Kensei. Kristen Bell is joining the cast next week. Plus, they've expanded the roles of minor characters.

Right now, very few of the characters have connected plots. Clearly, this will change, but right now it means that storylines are getting really broken up. This week, we didn't get any Hiro or Peter. Nikki made a brief appearance to drop off Micah, and that was it. (Speaking of which, where the hell is that storyline going? Once again, Nikki & Micah have nothing to do with anything, so why bother having them at all?) We got the setup with Mohinder working for The Company and haven't heard anything about that relationship since.

There are too many characters getting too much screen time in too many plotlines, and that's hurting the show.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:43 pm UTC

I have to agree with that. :\ The "Micah's cousin" storyline seems really unnecessary and heavy-handed. There are too many characters now to give the new ones much in the way of personality.

I still have a scrap of faith that they're going to pull it all together later in the season, and we'll be able to look back and really enjoy these episodes, because they're building up to something awesome. (You hear me, Heroes? Don't be "Lost!")

Is anyone reading the comics? Are they adding anything good? I left off reading them around the middle of last season, and I need to catch up. :\
You don't make them touch!

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:56 pm UTC

The only good one so far in this season has been the Haitian's, as it continued his storyline from the summer comics.

Other than that...meh.

They/them

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:55 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Killing DL off did bother me, though.

I want to say DL isn't dead. We didn't see him die, so I think it's quite possible that they "buried" him... or even actually buried him and he just left afterward, since he can go through solid things like coffins and dirt. It would be quite an interesting twist.

That said, I'm so sick of Nikki, but I'm liking the Micah and his cousin storyline. I'll like it better when it has something to do with something... but I did really want to see the learning-stuff-fast power in action besides with Hiro's girl learning Japanese, so now we actually get to see it.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:21 pm UTC

I found the episode to be unremarkable. But it wasn't painful either. Also someone said that Nathan got rid of the scar-face thing...but he totally didn't. He only got rid of it for a moment. Maybe they just meant the beard?

EdgarJPublius wrote:Can you honestly say there's a female that wouldn't be inspired by a little Gambit?

lanicita wrote:I want to say DL isn't dead. We didn't see him die, so I think it's quite possible that they "buried" him... or even actually buried him and he just left afterward, since he can go through solid things like coffins and dirt. It would be quite an interesting twist.

Yeah, I liked DL better than Niki anyway.

Lyra Ngalia

Postby Lyra Ngalia » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:25 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:Maybe they just meant the beard?

If you were talking about me, yes, I just meant the awful awful beard. I think mirror!Nathan is more of a Nessica thing anyways.

Narsil wrote:Given that, I wonder what West's connections are. That about all I wonder about him, however, I want him to die. Soon. The whole Claire story seems like a painful rehash of her last adventures.

I hope NewZach finds out he's another one of Nathan's byblows and is so traumatized by the idea that he's in love with his half sister that he kills himself. Because I want NewZach dead.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path... Only I will remain.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:32 pm UTC

I kindof hope he sees Claire's father, and launches on a quest to kill him, and Claire ends up having to murder him with her own sharpened fingerbones.

But that's just me.

They/them

yellie

Postby yellie » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:41 pm UTC

Lyra Ngalia wrote:I hope NewZach finds out he's another one of Nathan's byblows and is so traumatized by the idea that he's in love with his half sister that he kills himself. Because I want NewZach dead.

I'm totally expecting that to happen -- the writers putting in more Claire-centric Petrellicest to fuck with us. (now hoping too, if killing himself is West's solution to that problem)

Someone mentioned iPods up there. Where did the iPods go? This question will haunt me. So many iPods, vanished. Did somebody steal them and leave Peter in exchange when they realized they had no cash? Is Peter actually worth that many iPods? I am doubtful.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:57 pm UTC

The point is that West dies, as quickly and painfully as possible (We do not want a whole episode of him moaning about being killed, but neither do we want him to go unpunished for the agony he inflicted upon us).

Also Peter is definitely worth that many iPods when he is helping you rob armoured cars.

Lyra Ngalia

Postby Lyra Ngalia » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:43 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:Also Peter is definitely worth that many iPods when he is helping you rob armoured cars.

Hell, having amnesiac Peter wander around my house with his shirt off is worth that many iPods. But then, you know, female perspective and all. ;-)

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”