1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kenmelken

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:19 am UTC

The shift appears to have gone up more than to the left, indicating that we are likely to see something tall.

EDIT: Oh goodness... this again already? Fine. Prepare ye citizens for the Fourth Imperial Reign of Semi-Supreme Emperor kenmelken. Decree: acknowledge someone on the OTT who you appreciate, especially someone you maybe haven't seen get much appreciation.

I pick poxic. She has enough of a presence on the fora to be one of those "too-cool-for-the-weirdos-on-the-time-thread" types, but instead comes with semi-regularity to have fun with all of us. I look forward to her typically short and witty, eloquently prismatic posts.

Oh... and let there be pasta!
Spoiler:
Last edited by kenmelken on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:36 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

nsub1

Postby nsub1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:20 am UTC

As someone else showed, it's a bit of a diagonal pan, but here it is in a bit of a different visualization.
movement-to-the-top.png
(Pre-emptive apologies to those who are color-blind for which this is basically useless.)
Also, yes, Ken.
Last edited by nsub1 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:21 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I should note that nothing special happens if you Wait and watch my gif for 62 frames...

No, really, nothing happens.

You need a reassurance kitty with this: "I told you was no special after 62 frames. Why U no believe me?"

Redundant:
Spoiler:

NoSpecial.png

redundant22andahalf.png
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:21 am UTC

A strut? Spar? Tent pole? Spike with a head on top?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:23 am UTC

I kind of hope it's a real castle. Image

Full of raptorcats.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:24 am UTC

The remnants of their sandcastle? *eerie music*
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:27 am UTC

poxic wrote:The remnants of their sandcastle? *eerie music*

Super creepy... right as I posted my edit for my decree, including a mention of you... you posted this at the exact same time. *eerie music gets eerier*

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear...

EDIT: @BlitzGirl: Love it!!!!
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:28 am UTC

poxic wrote:The remnants of their sandcastle? *eerie music*

Ximenez predicted that one:
Spoiler:

(I assume that's LaPetite hiding behind the top level of the Sandcastle.)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:31 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:Super creepy... right as I posted my edit for my decree, including a mention of you... you posted this at the exact same time. *eerie music gets eerier*

Speak of the devil, and he she shall appear...

Aw garsh, thanks.

I would like to appreciate Ximenez for prepredicting my prediction.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:36 am UTC

@ Eternal Density; re: Primer "spoiler"

Great way to describe a movie (and use of a "spoiler") without with out actually "Spoiling" the movie.

The summer after LOTR: Fellowship came out, this group of whippersnappers I was working with found out I had actually read the trilogy (I don't think that between the three of them, they had ever read any thing more than the back of a cereal box) and they started begging me to tell them how it ended. I resisted for a while, but finally said, "If Peter Jackson follows the story as well as he's been,
Spoiler:
a ring-bearer will die."

Walked away and wouldn't say anything more.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:36 am UTC

I shall discover what has been discovered in the mornix. Coma well all. Keep the faith and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:37 am UTC

poxic wrote:I would like to appreciate Ximenez for prepredicting my prediction.
And I certainly appreciate poxic for so nicely postpredict my preprediction.

ETA: Oh, and I got up again from coma just to see those 3 new pixels... Back to zzzzzzz now.
ETA2:
BlitzGirl wrote:(I assume that's LaPetite hiding behind the top level of the Sandcastle.)
You must be right! I was scratching my head about that... :D
Last edited by Ximenez on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:42 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:38 am UTC

poxic wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Super creepy... right as I posted my edit for my decree, including a mention of you... you posted this at the exact same time. *eerie music gets eerier*

Speak of the devil, and he she shall appear...

Aw garsh, thanks.

I would like to appreciate Ximenez for prepredicting my prediction.

I apologize for gender mistake. :P Not a very fun way to appreciate someone. I've edited my Imperial Post to reflect the correction.

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:48 am UTC

Ketchup Time!
Pikrass wrote:I started to write a patch when the Great Webmaster came, but never finished it. The BBCode to HTML code is done, but the reverse code has yet to be written.
I figured I should try to include it in phpBB's code, to make his life easier, so I studied it a little, but not far enough.
I thought recently I should finish it soon, since I'm on holidays since this wip-end. But if anyone wants to do it before me, feel free.

Here's what I've done so far :
new-spoiler.zip

I was so disappointed when I was making my sig and found out I couldn't make nested spoilers. I was going to put as many spoilers as I could with only "Hi" in the center.
Eternal Density wrote:I'm currently a little distracted trying to read /Fridge/Primer on TVTropes. Willingly.

That page must be endless. I would check myself, but I don't want to be sucked into the black hole that is TVTropes.
But it's so tempting. I must go.

I'm finally back. It's not as long as I expected, but that's probably because it's not very well-known.
pelrigg wrote:I saw the othercomic Movie Chart on explain a few days ago and was following links about Primer. I think I need to find that flick. (If GLR likes it...)

I love Primer, although it's horribly confusing (as you can tell from the chart). I've watched it three times and read a lot of people's thoughts on it and I still don't think I understand it completely.
acunning40 wrote:
wizpretz wrote:For this page I encourage all of our guests to make an account

Well, I guess I finally will. :)

Welcome acunning. I'm glad that I encouraged at least one person to join.
Eternal Density wrote:Funny you should mention that, because (it being winter Down Under) I just put in a thinkgeek order for an Aperture Laboratories thermal neck wrap (to replace my 'crime scene to not cross' scarf which is getting a little old) and a... cunning hat.
Spoiler:
"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."

You have winter in Australia? I just assumed that it was always 1000 degrees there :wink:

Oh... I think I answered these backwards. Stupid tabs not opening how I want them to :evil:

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:00 am UTC

High on the MountONG top... a panning is unveiled...

EDIT: Ooh... beginning to look like a very modern structure. Radio tower?

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:08 am UTC

A cell phone tower, maybe?

It couldn't be an oil rig nor water tower that close to a cliff side.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:08 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:High on the MountONG top... a panning is unveiled...

EDIT: Ooh... beginning to look like a very modern structure. Radio tower?

Definitely a Wicker man to burn them alive in.
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:10 am UTC

This time the frame moved by 40 down and 11 to the left so its speeding up.

ETA:It looks to me like a wooden structure made from polls and ropes much like the scaffolding they built. Their is a ladder obviously.

We have not seen anything with modern technology so far. Everything is in the wood age if you know what I mean. Their bags and drinking dillgunerang are also basic possibly animal skin or other parts. The most advanced thing we have seen is a bucket, ropes and well cut timber.

Spoiler:
diff2.png
Last edited by Latent22 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:11 am UTC

Whatever it is must have been easily visible from where they camped out, so it can't be something they've never encountered before or we would have had more discussion about it.

(Unless of course it's just landed...)
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re: Papal Decree

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:23 am UTC

CameronCat's posts are really beautiful. Her depictions of the One True Comic, Thread, and Associated Locations and Procedures )OTCTALP( arAS DEFINIÇÕES DE VÍRUS FORAM ATUALIZADAS.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:30 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:ETA:It looks to me like a wooden structure made from polls and ropes much like the scaffolding they built. Their is a ladder obviously.

We have not seen anything with modern technology so far. Everything is in the wood age if you know what I mean. Their bags and drinking dillgunerang are also basic possibly animal skin or other parts. The most advanced thing we have seen is a bucket, ropes and well cut timber.

That's a bit of an assumption. We really don't know how advanced any of those things are, or what materials they're made out of. The shovels we've seen could have metal ends, or even could be plastic beach shovels. We don't know because all we see is black and white outlines. We don't know what the earlier building was made of or its manner of construction (though there were many proposed and varied ideas back during that period). We just make guesses. Certainly LaPetite's outfit seems more recent than the wooden age in style. Even using the phrase "steam bottleugh" seems to suggest that those weren't mere animal skins, but something more sophisticated (as has been argued about many times before).

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:33 am UTC

Papal decree: I choose you, Kenmelken, for making such wonderful papal decrees.
Edit: Time to coma. Molpy down...

foilman

Postby foilman » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:38 am UTC

I vote radio tower. But I'm probably influenced by all the Far Cry 3 I played when it came out. I guess we may not see any people yet - unless there are other structures around too.

Eternal Density

..his sister's hungry mouth.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:42 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I should note that nothing special happens if you Wait and watch my gif for 62 frames...

No, really, nothing happens.

You need a reassurance kitty with this: "I told you was no special after 62 frames. Why U no believe me?"

I waited for it but nothing happened.
pelrigg wrote:@ Eternal Density; re: Primer "spoiler"

Great way to describe a movie (and use of a "spoiler") without with out actually "Spoiling" the movie.
Well I didn't know how sensitive people might be to 'expectation spoilers' so I hid it just to be sure.
wizpretz wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Funny you should mention that, because (it being winter Down Under) I just put in a thinkgeek order for an Aperture Laboratories thermal neck wrap (to replace my 'crime scene to not cross' scarf which is getting a little old) and a... cunning hat.
Spoiler:
"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."

You have winter in Australia? I just assumed that it was always 1000 degrees there :wink:

My car:
redundant:
Spoiler:
Goodbye, bird. There's a 51% chance I wouldn't have killed you.
2012 - 4.jpg
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:00 am UTC

They should climb the RadiONG tower

ETA: Well, otters, it's been a fun day actually getting to interact on the thread. Haven't had time for that much that last couple weeks. Unfortunately, the next two weeks will be even busier, but I'm glad I got to post with more regularity for at least one day amidst the craziness (Heck, I even got 2 imperial reigns out of it!)

For now, I believe it is requisite that my body must go acoma and molpy down for the night.

Wait well. And we still need more pasta.
Last edited by kenmelken on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:01 am UTC

Mine Head?
So far GLR has managed to blow us out of the water and come up with something unexpected. So what will it be this Time?
I must coma. Tomorrow will tell. Still Waiting For It.

Eternal Density

(Anyone want to name Niclep's sister?)

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:03 am UTC

*sees no one has posted and it's only a few seconds past the ONG*
*copies the link*
*clicks Reply and whaddayaknow, the ONG is already there*

I'm sure that happens to a lot of people :D

Anyhow, this is a pretty interesting turn of events. I vote for 'cable car station' :P
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Khrushy

Re: ..his sister's hungry mouth.

Postby Khrushy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:06 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:My car:
redundant:
Spoiler:
2012 - 4.jpg

Where the heck are you? At the top of Kosciusko? I've never seen snow like that on the ground in Aus, except at the top of a few select mountains.

heather99

Postby heather99 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:08 am UTC

Are there any consequences for disobeying a papal decree? I'm curious. Also, my bets are either that the tower, if metal, is a phone tower, and if wooden, it's a guard tower.
I'm much too stubborn to make myself a signature.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:14 am UTC

heather99 wrote:Are there any consequences for disobeying a papal decree? I'm curious. Also, my bets are either that the tower, if metal, is a phone tower, and if wooden, it's a guard tower.

YES.
But only if you believe on it.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

BlitzGirl

Niclep and... Reppa?

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:16 am UTC

Shush, be nice, we've never had a punishment for papal decree noncompliance. Yet. :P

I'm inclined to think this is a radio tower, because it's on top of a mountain. But what is that wheel-shaped doohickey there?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:21 am UTC

heather99 wrote:Are there any consequences for disobeying a papal decree? I'm curious. Also, my bets are either that the tower, if metal, is a phone tower, and if wooden, it's a guard tower.

We're pretty sure Emperor Kenmelken comes 'round to your house and spanks you until you do what he asked.*

*May not be considered a punishment by all.
Last edited by Khrushy on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:24 am UTC

I vote wind turbine on a lattice tower, guarding its domain. Al Gore, you've doomed us all!

So this is what the Neat/I wonder what it's for exchange was about, right?

The ongoing debate about figuring out the chronological setting based on the materials takes on a new perspective given the whole 13291 thing. There is a lot of ambiguity given that buckets, flags, tents, fences etc could be constructed from modern materials, but equally possibly might not be. Maybe the most likely explanation at this point is a kind of scavenger society, where relics of previous technology exist but everyday existence is low-tech. I think what we're seeing is a relic, which is why they don't know what it is ("some kind of structure") or what it's for.

Kazza3

Re: ..his sister's hungry mouth.

Postby Kazza3 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:26 am UTC

Khrushy wrote:
redundant:
Spoiler:
2012 - 4.jpg

Where the heck are you? At the top of Kosciusko? I've never seen snow like that on the ground in Aus, except at the top of a few select mountains.

Yeah, I've never seen snow like that (*cue laughter from the Northern Hemisphere*), she'd have to be up in the alpine areas, though even there it's pretty inconsistent. I'm not sure what the ski season's been like this year?

Eternal Density

(Anyone?)

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:26 am UTC

Khrushy wrote:
redundant:
Spoiler:
2012 - 4.jpg

No I'm in this region.

heather99

Re: (Anyone?)

Postby heather99 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:31 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Khrushy wrote:
redundant:
Spoiler:
2012 - 4.jpg

No I'm in this region.

Oooh, Canberra-ish. Cool. I'm from Sydney, and so my greatest chance of seeing snow is to stumble upon Narnia in a wardrobe somewhere. I'm still hoping.
I'm much too stubborn to make myself a signature.

Khrushy

Re: (Anyone?)

Postby Khrushy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:44 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:No I'm in this region.

You just melted my brain. I'm originally from Tasmania, and I've never seen it snow like that even down there.

And yes Kazza3, the Northern Hemisphere knows how to do winters - evil evil things >_>

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:45 am UTC

Oooh! While I was off watching Independence Day, we got panning! Can't wait to see what it is - I'm going for either a mining rig or some kind of well/water tower (in which case, well, they're outta luck with Megan's leg).

Independence Day was great - scientific discrepancies aside, watching
Spoiler:
Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith explode an alien mothership
is probably one of the highlights of my summer.

ETSpoiler plot details

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:51 am UTC

It's not the click and drag observatory on the mountain, that one has got a concrete-like foundation.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

I hid my suggestion in an earlier post subject.

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:57 am UTC

While I was looking at Othercomic #1000 in preparation for my Present Present (which is now past), I picked out some RELATED stick figures that would fit quite nicely into the OTT.

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Related1000.png
Related1000.png (7.91 KiB) Viewed 13060 times

redundant23.png
redundant23.png (170.4 KiB) Viewed 13060 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”