1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

buffygirl
Cardinal

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

Blindposting:

I have been at the beach all wip. Yesterdip there were four LaPetites working on a sand structure as the tide was coming in. They were frantically trying to reinforce it against the rising tide, but I could see it was well below the high tide mark and would not survive the nix. The eldest, around 9 or 10 I would guess, saw me observing them and came over to me. She expressed her concern for the structure, and I noted to her that things weren't looking good. She looked up at me with resignation in her eyes. Then, because I couldn't resist, I said knowingly, "The ocean is big. It does what it wants."1 "Yeah," she said, and trotted back to her sisters to continue the fight.

I remained at the beach after they left, watching the moat of my own structure fill as the tide rolled in. Our goals had been opposite of one another; mine, to channel the tide to encircle my castle. Theirs, to build something to withstand the sea.

In the end both succumbed. Before I left them behind, I did my duty and completed the job, gently kicking over the castles and filling the holes with sand so wayward baby turtlemolpies would make it safely into the surf.

1 I know, it should be sea. But we're at the ocean.

Edit: ooohhh! Page Pope! I decree ... erm ... All must use some COLOR in their post!! Except red, of course.
Last edited by buffygirl on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Blindposting:
Spoiler:
I have been at the beach all wip. Yesterdip there were four LaPetites working on a sand structure as the tide was coming in. They were frantically trying to reinforce it against the rising tide, but I could see it was well below the high tide mark and would not survive the nix. The eldest, around 9 or 10 I would guess, saw me observing them and came over to me. She expressed her concern for the structure, and I noted to her that things weren't looking good. She looked up at me with resignation in her eyes. Then, because I couldn't resist, I said knowingly, "The ocean is big. It does what it wants."1 "Yeah," she said, and trotted back to her sisters to continue the fight.

I remained at the beach after they left, watching the moat of my own structure fill as the tide rolled in. Our goals had been opposite of one another; mine, to channel the tide to encircle my castle. Theirs, to build something to withstand the sea.

In the end both succumbed. Before I left them behind, I did my duty and completed the job, gently kicking over the castles and filling the holes with sand so wayward baby turtlemolpies would make it safely into the surf.

1 I know, it should be sea. But we're at the ocean.

Awwwwwww
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Megan is doing quite well for having an injured leg. I suppose she's out of danger now? Her mobility does not seem to be affected. I assume that we all have been assuming that the device is pointing out over the cliff and down the mountain. Could it be used to view what may be further up the mountain (if, indeed, they have not yet reached the summit)?

Looks to me like it is pointing up if you look through it in the direction Cuegan came from, or down if you look along the plateau.

Maybe when she looks through it she'll see a signpost further along, with more mysterious markings and pictures of baobabs and sandcastles.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:I have been at the beach all wip. Yesterdip there were four LaPetites working on a sand structure as the tide was coming in.
Spoiler:
They were frantically trying to reinforce it against the rising tide, but I could see it was well below the high tide mark and would not survive the nix. The eldest, around 9 or 10 I would guess, saw me observing them and came over to me. She expressed her concern for the structure, and I noted to her that things weren't looking good. She looked up at me with resignation in her eyes. Then, because I couldn't resist, I said knowingly, "The ocean is big. It does what it wants."1 "Yeah," she said, and trotted back to her sisters to continue the fight.

buffygirl! We've missed you!
⁴!
Next time, bring a trebuchet with you... Image
Last edited by mscha on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Prediction: they'll climb the tower for a better view, discover the transit, and start looking through it to find where people might be. The view will then shift to a round field of view of the magnified horizon through the transit, and the ensuing 360 newpix will show a complete panorama in one degree increments.

That's not creepy enough. I predict the view at each increment will be the avatar of an OTTer. That's when we all need to start worrying.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Next time, bring a trebuchet with you... Image

Oooh! Good idea!! Ok, back to basking!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
mscha wrote:Next time, bring a trebuchet with you...

Oooh! Good idea!! Ok, back to basking!

Might be more fun, well at least for everyone else, if you sed/basking:s//a//u// :mrgreen:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
GerardE wrote:Edit: anyone with a stitchup to see if a cable could run from here to the scene of the catfight?

One problem with that is that we're missing quite a bit of the scenery between here and there. (When we jumped to the “night scene”, there were 23 frames without Cuegan, who were probably walking across anywhere between 3 and 6 “scenes” during that time.)

Yeah, we're likely missing quite a bit, but anyway, here's the latest update1...

Spoiler:
pano_0705_tn.png
pano_0705_tn.png (11.52 KiB) Viewed 10225 times
Go Minim go!

Ashaman

Postby Ashaman » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

So, just a random thought about storytelling and presentation: Randall must be drawing these with a plan, he's got a vision for where the story goes and what he's going to show us next. He's sitting at his desk and tossing out dozens of frames at a time, in rapid succession, knowing exactly how the story is going to flow. There's no surprises or suspense from his perspective, and the contents of the next frame could be done in just a couple minutes if he's only updating the positions of our main characters.

But we keep running into little moments of suspense, like the leg of the tower intruding into the edge of the frame for the last bit of cliff climbing. I think it was there to deliberately tease us, not just because it happened to be on the edge of the next section of landscape. He could have shifted the dividing line between panels by one pixel and completely hidden the tower leg. Instead, he chose to show just a hint of it, and to keep it on the side of the frame for many panels, so we'd have time to notice and discuss it.

Similarly with the stars at night. He chose to give us a long, slow, mostly uneventful night. From a storytelling point of view, it might seem like a mistake. Yet it allowed him to throw in lots of little clues about context, the rotation of the stars showing latitude, the precise position of the planets and key stars hinting about a far future date. Without the analysis coming from this thread, those clues would have mostly been lost. But we were here, picking out every hint of information from every panel. And why not, since we have hours to study each panel while we wait for the next.

This comic is not just unfolding like a full speed movie played at a very slow frame rate, it's deliberately crafted to be revealed in a very slow manner, frame by frame. This thread is, in essence, an important part of the overall presentation. This is a show that is intended to include speculation, analysis, and guesswork.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:Yeah, we're likely missing quite a bit, but anyway, here's the latest update1...
Spoiler:

³!
Last edited by mscha on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

TelescopONG?

Last edited by Charm Quark on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lost forever in time...

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

Ashaman wrote:So, just a random thought about storytelling and presentation: Randall must be drawing these with a plan, he's got a vision for where the story goes and what he's going to show us next. He's sitting at his desk and tossing out dozens of frames at a time, in rapid succession, knowing exactly how the story is going to flow. There's no surprises or suspense from his perspective, and the contents of the next frame could be done in just a couple minutes if he's only updating the positions of our main characters.
Spoiler:
But we keep running into little moments of suspense, like the leg of the tower intruding into the edge of the frame for the last bit of cliff climbing. I think it was there to deliberately tease us, not just because it happened to be on the edge of the next section of landscape. He could have shifted the dividing line between panels by one pixel and completely hidden the tower leg. Instead, he chose to show just a hint of it, and to keep it on the side of the frame for many panels, so we'd have time to notice and discuss it.

Similarly with the stars at night. He chose to give us a long, slow, mostly uneventful night. From a storytelling point of view, it might seem like a mistake. Yet it allowed him to throw in lots of little clues about context, the rotation of the stars showing latitude, the precise position of the planets and key stars hinting about a far future date. Without the analysis coming from this thread, those clues would have mostly been lost. But we were here, picking out every hint of information from every panel. And why not, since we have hours to study each panel while we wait for the next.

This comic is not just unfolding like a full speed movie played at a very slow frame rate, it's deliberately crafted to be revealed in a very slow manner, frame by frame. This thread is, in essence, an important part of the overall presentation. This is a show that is intended to include speculation, analysis, and guesswork.

You may be right. In fact, I believe you're partially right. There's definitely teasing going on (see also LaPetite), and there is some careful planning involved.
But I'd be surprised if it was all planned in advance. My guess is that the GLR just started this with the beach scene, and had no idea how long He'd keep it going, where He was going, and how long He'd continue. He'll probably keep adding batches as long as He's having fun – and as long as He has an audience. (He might not read the OTT, but surely is aware of it.)
I even think the change from half an hourOutside to one hourOutside per newpix wasn't planned, but that Randall realized that He couldn't keep that up, so halved His workload.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Ashaman

Postby Ashaman » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

mscha wrote:But I'd be surprised if it was all planned in advance. My guess is that the GLR just started this with the beach scene, and had no idea how long He'd keep it going, where He was going, and how long He'd continue. He'll probably keep adding batches as long as He's having fun – and as long as He has an audience. (He might not read the OTT, but surely is aware of it.)
I even think the change from half an hourOutside to one hourOutside per newpix wasn't planned, but that Randall realized that He couldn't keep that up, so halved His workload.

Yea, I'll agree that he most likely draws this in batches, and doesn't know the details of each batch until he sits down and does them. But there's probably an overall outline of a story that extends quite a bit ahead of what we've seen, and he knows what the environment is while we still do not. And things like the slow pan and zoom are mechanisms where he can generate a day's worth of frames in just a few minutes, so that may be there for his benefit more than ours.

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time" Tdf Update

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

Today was stage 7 of the Tour de France. I didn't get to see much of it, my Tai Chi class overlapped. The winner was Peter Sagan of Slovakia, who is the leader in the Green Jersey (points) competition. He greatly increased his lead for reasons mentioned below. There was no change at the top of the general (GC) time category for the Yellow Jersey, with Impey still in Yellow for tomorrow. There are still a dozen riders within 14 seconds. In points, Sagan has 224, Greipel 130, and Cavendish 119. Too early to predict the final total though.

While Sagan is a very fast sprinter he also has more general skills that served him well today. His team (Cannondale) set out to win the stage from the beginning. There was an early breakaway that lasted for a while and a later one that only ended near the end. More on that too, in a moment.

Janez Brajkovic who crashed hard yesterday didn't start today on doctor's orders. There was a serious crash today at 11k and Christian Vande Velde (US rider for Garmin-RadioShack) abandoned after trying to continue. It is a dangerous race. Here is what the doctor had to say of Christian: "The multiple contusions and abrasions he suffered in today's crash, compounded with the injuries he sustained [during] stage five - which included a blood clot in his neck muscle, a loosened screw in his clavicle plate and upper back injuries - made it impossible for him to finish today's stage. We'll examine him closely tonight and continue to evaluate his injuries." Of course the screw in his clavicle plate was due to an earlier cycling injury. Later on Adriano Malori of Lampre also abandoned, leaving 188 riders to finish today - 94 of them had the same time, riding at about 40km/hour overall.

There was one hard climb today and it is on such days that the GC is usually determined since a hard uphill tends to break the peleton into groups. The key is to be in the front group with your rivals in groups behind you. Today it advantaged the Green Jersey rather than the Yellow, however, as Sagan and his team were first over the top of the first hard climb (second category) and split the peleton, leaving Greipel and Cavendish to finish almost 15 minutes behind. There were two main groups with the back one having about 60 riders.

One wrinkle today helps to explain strategy in the race generally. The Yellow Jersey and most of his team (at least) were in the first group. Three riders rode on ahead of that group and one of them, Jan Bakelants, was only 33 seconds behind on total time. If he finished more than 33 seconds ahead of Impey he would take Yellow. He got a minute or so ahead at one point with 50k yet to ride. So there was strong incentive to "reel in" the escapees. So both Impey's team (ORICA GREENEDGE) and Sagan's had incentive since Sagan wanted the points at the win (he also won the intermediate sprint, by the way). So, reel them in, they did with less than 3k to go, setting up Sagan, as a sprinter, for the win. But that put the secondary group at a bigger advantage and opened the deficit of Greipel et al. from about 5 minutes to nearly 15. So, of the green jersey rivals, only Sagan collected points today. brilliant.

This is long enough so I'll end now, but in future days I'll have something to say about teams, money, climbing points, the polkadot jersey (along with some other jerseys) and general strategy in multi day stage racing. Tomorrow they start around 11:30 (continental), ride 195K over a hard route with two very hard climbs and a mountain top finish (actually the high spot of a pass).
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Montov

Postby Montov » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

Megan was the one climbing, so her injury is not that bad.

Ashaman wrote:This is a show that is intended to include speculation, analysis, and guesswork.

Nicely stated. This would also explain the panning. It isn't just to create lots of content in minutes, but it is used for suspense.

Spoiler:
If black is a color, my work fro the papal decree is done

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

I don't understand how Megan moves. In NP2581 she was in front of the tower. In NP2582 she was behind the ladder. How come? (ETA: mscha's numbers.)

Ashaman wrote:This comic is not just unfolding like a full speed movie played at a very slow frame rate, it's deliberately crafted to be revealed in a very slow manner, frame by frame. This thread is, in essence, an important part of the overall presentation. This is a show that is intended to include speculation, analysis, and guesswork.
Great insight! I'm with you on this.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

You're right, Ximenez, that looks kind of ε.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Cake!
Happy 200th, thirds!
Spoiler:

OMR, I hadn't even noticed - thanks!

buffygirl wrote:I said knowingly, "The ocean is big. It does what it wants."1 "Yeah," she said, and trotted back to her sisters

Two reactions: 1. awww 2. jealous. 3. Well, three reactions. 3. The OTT has been terribly incomplete without buffygirl.

Charm Quark wrote:TelescopONG?
Spoiler:

She's looking at the hamstermolpy in the wheel.
Last edited by thirds on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

PredictiONG:

Redundant spoiler of redundancies:
Spoiler:
Molpysaur.png

so-i-heard-you-like-to-be-redundant-i-can-be-redundant-while-repeating-myself-over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and.jpg
Last edited by Whizbang on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

thirds wrote:
Spoiler:

She's looking at the hamstermolpy in the wheel.

Has HES now made it into the comic too? :o

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

It seems there is some resistance to my claiming the title of Grand Inquisiteur.

Therefore I will abjucate if there are more than 20 requests of abjucation in the next 40 posts by unique OTTers.

Then the High Inquisition will become a Democratic Inquisition.

Oh, and papal decree. I am blue dabadie dabadai.

Counting will be done next wix.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

It's hard to inquisit grandly when your subjects are not within reach of one's various inquisiting instruments.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Angelastic

This subject is out of reach of inquisiting instruments

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

Ashaman wrote:This comic is not just unfolding like a full speed movie played at a very slow frame rate, it's deliberately crafted to be revealed in a very slow manner, frame by frame. This thread is, in essence, an important part of the overall presentation. This is a show that is intended to include speculation, analysis, and guesswork.

Yes. I've been thinking about that a lot lately. This is a new medium that is not quite like any other. Even if there has been some kind of slow-motion comic serialised in newspapers or such like (and I bet someone could find some obscure example of something vaguely similar), this is not quite the same because it is digital and we are able (and expected) to spot a single darkening pixel, and analyse other aspects of the picture with software.

mscha wrote:But I'd be surprised if it was all planned in advance. My guess is that the GLR just started this with the beach scene, and had no idea how long He'd keep it going, where He was going, and how long He'd continue. He'll probably keep adding batches as long as He's having fun – and as long as He has an audience. (He might not read the OTT, but surely is aware of it.)

I'd be surprised if he hadn't planned it out in advance. There are so many puzzles, so many hints of things to come, and I don't think they're just things he came up with on the spur of the moment. At some point, there will be an ending or events that would only have happened if they'd lost a dilgunnerang, a pack, and a surprising amount of blood. The sea and their naïveté about it will be explained, as will their reluctance to swim in a river. The castles (which, apart from giving us a chance to figure out what was going on without risking missing important frames, gave Cuegan a basis to understand the creation of the gorge), the other things they've wondered/talked haltingly about/encountered along the way will be somewhat relevant, some will be 3 in terms of the plot. We will find out what LaPetite's role is. The setting will become clearer. Some of the things have just been pretty scenery, but I think a good deal of them were there to move the story in a particular direction. Even the beesnakes had a purpose (the pretty wings urged them on.) Randall has a plan, and it is 3.

Now, I agree that he might not have originally planned to slow down the delivery of newpix. On the other hand, the fastpix could have been a deliberate thing to make people more likely to notice the changes and set up scripts to catch the file names in the beginning.

I don't think 'abjucate' is a word (maybe abdicate?), but I think Neil_Boekend should do it.

ETA: Another example of planning ahead is Cueball's tasting of the sea. We thought it was a dumb thing to do, but he later revealed it was to see whether the water was getting fresher.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

HereBeUnmappedBits

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

OBSERVONG
Last edited by HereBeUnmappedBits on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:It seems there is some resistance to my claiming the title of Grand Inquisiteur.

Therefore I will abjucate if there are more than 20 requests of abjucation in the next 40 posts by unique OTTers.

Then the High Inquisition will become a Democratic Inquisition.

Oh, and papal decree. I am blue dabadie dabadai.

Counting will be done next wix.

What, so just ANYBODY can demand the throwing of the chocolate, the burning of the steaks and the stay of the comfy chair??? What's next, cake for everybody and a new pope every page???!!? It's a slippery slope, I tell you!!!!! :shock:
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

Cueball is still flabbergasted about the plateau.
I wait for it, therefore I am.

sford

Postby sford » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

Spoiler:

I could swear that Megan is squinting one eye. I mean that each time I see the drawing, I think I see the squint.

Brains are weird.

ttscp

Re: This subject is out of reach of inquisiting instruments

Postby ttscp » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:

Yes. I've been thinking about that a lot lately. This is a new medium that is not quite like any other.

Definitely a new medium. One other implication, Randall has complete control over when we'll see the next picture, there's no peeking in advance. The file name hashes are a way to make sure of that. It is different from a book where we can put the book down and come back to it, and, as you mentioned, it's different from a movie, because the time between frames gives us room to analyze and speculate.

Angelastic wrote:
mscha wrote:But I'd be surprised if it was all planned in advance. ...

I'd be surprised if he hadn't planned it out in advance. There are so many puzzles, so many hints of things to come, and I don't think they're just things he came up with on the spur of the moment.

I know of authors who just start writing with only a vague idea of what the story is going to be and sort of make it up as they go. All authors that I've read discussing their work, say that sometimes the story or characters just take over and the story just writes itself. I'd guess that Randall has a general idea of where he wants to go, but may not have worked out the details.

I'm struggling with the difference between plot and puzzle if there is any. I'm finding it hard to define, but it seems to me that plot implies meaning where a puzzle just has to be difficult. A plot resonates (emotionally, intellectually) with us on some level. I think Randall would give us a plot more than a puzzle (almost all his comics have meaning).

I'm in favor of Neil_Boekend being Inquisitor. Give it to someone who wants to do it, and the stealth with which he arose from the grave to capture it, demonstrates the right kind of thinking, as does his limiting the number of posts allowed to vote.

Who listens to papal requests?
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Oh, and papal decree. I am blue dabadie dabadai.

I'm blue, if I was green I would die1

1My friend in elementary school swore for months those were the official lyrics

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:OBSERVONG

The instrument has not changed position, only Megan has. No dialogue when she looked through it toward the plateau. It doesn't look like she's looking through it the other direction yet (which would be at the sky)

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:I don't understand how Megan moves. In NP2581 she was in front of the tower. In NP2582 she was behind the ladder. How come?

Obviously, she circled the Tower off-frame before climbing up... :D
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

[blindpost]
I have reached Beacon Alpha! Still a ways in the past, and unlikely to reach the present until Sunday, but the checkpoint demanded I tell the future present of my location.
[/blindpost]
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Megan is doing quite well for having an injured leg. I suppose she's out of danger now? Her mobility does not seem to be affected. I assume that we all have been assuming that the device is pointing out over the cliff and down the mountain. Could it be used to view what may be further up the mountain (if, indeed, they have not yet reached the summit)?

The initial injury and the immediate blood loss have proven to be not debilitating. That's very good. But the danger of infection (given the cause of the injury) is still high. Many kinds of infection take time to develop.

Best case:
"Looks okay,"
"Yeah, and it feels better."

Good case:
"Looks awful."
"Yeah, but it feels okay."

Bad case:
"Looks okay."
"Yeah, but it hurts more."

Very bad case:
"Looks okay."
"Yeah, but it smells bad."

Worst case:
"Looks okay."
(doesn't answer because she's dead)

Re the summit:
Spoiler:
I'm interpreting what Cueball said differently from most, it seems. If they weren't at the summit I'd expect them to say something more like, "Oh, this isn't the top yet." And because of that, they wouldn't be able to see the other side.

Instead, I think they're seeing what we'd expect to see on just about any non-volcanic mountain ascended from a nearby coast: more mountains, ridge after ridge as far as can be seen. (If their mountain isn't very high, they might only be able to see to the next ridge. If Megan was looking through the correct end her first try, there could be another survey marker or station on a col in between.) That's what I think they mean by "the mountains don't go back down the other side."

Re the setting:
Spoiler:
We seem to be gradually settling on a background of steam era technology. That fits the two highest tech objects we've learned about so far: the transit, and the steam bottle. We know, from context, that the latter is capable of extracting water from at least one normally non-potable source, perhaps sea water or urine, with the "ugh" reaction slightly favoring the latter. (Sea water could be pretty "ugh" too.) So far, there's no evidence of steampunk trappings, but castles are consistent either way. So are ambitious geological surveys. That mean solar system astronomy, timekeeping, naturalistic exploration, and small-scale mechanical engineering should be fairly well advanced, though Megan and Cueball might not have been exposed to much of it. The state of the art in medicine is harder to tell.

Re mysteries:
Spoiler:
The immediate mystery of where the locals are has deepened. The transit is the first portable item of significant value (assuming it's not broken beyond repair in some way) that they've found abandoned. Ironically, that mystery need not have anything to do with the deep time question. At this point they could find a big sign that says "It's 13,000-something AD, civilization has stabilized at approximately the technology of 1850, and we're in the Black Hills which is now near the northern shore of the Great Inland Sea of North America, and that sea is rising because Cthulhu woke up and is building underwater pyramids," and I'd still have to reply "that's nice, but where did everybody go?"
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

@Charlie_Grumbles Your TdF updates are incredibly exciting; like a wonderful news reel of the event. I find more enjoyment reading your updates that trying to find a decent summary on some news site.

I would like to believe that Time has already been written, and what we're seeing iS an automated process of revealing the whole story, newpix by newpix. Of course, perhaps every newpix does not yet exist, and the Creator of Time is still creating new newpix, many frames in advanced, but it still would suggest that the entire story, from beginning to its ultimate end, is known to the GLR.

But I do see the possibility that, at some level, the GLR is making up the story as it progresses, and he is perhaps only a dozen or so frames ahead of us (maybe more). Perhaps he has yet to decide when it will end, though I find this highly unlikely.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

Prediction for sometime in the next few newpix:
Cueball wrote:What do you see?

edited for papal decree

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

VoronX wrote:
Ximenez wrote:I don't understand how Megan moves. In NP2581 she was in front of the tower. In NP2582 she was behind the ladder. How come?

Obviously, she circled the Tower off-frame before climbing up... :D

Not so much off-frame as inter-frame

buffygirl wrote:"The ocean is big. It does what it wants."1 "Yeah," she said, and trotted back to her sisters to continue the fight.

And a perfect cuegan response from the LaPetite!
He/Him/His Image

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

What's up with the Tour de France post? Seems less of a sidetrack and more off-topic than we usually get.
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

VoronX

Re: 1000

Postby VoronX » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

Greetings from NP1000!
BlitzGirl wrote:
1000 Newpages!

Here's a Present Present for all you OTTers out there!

Redundant spoiler:
Spoiler:
DistractionRedundakitty.png

Large Size:
1000NewpagesLarge.png

Small Size:
1000NewpagesSmall.png

Inspired by http://xkcd.com/1000/ of course.

Now THIS is awesome! Thank you BlitzGirl!!
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

Wow, 125 guests on the Othercomics forum today. That seems awfully high for some reason. Some Outside websource linked here, maybe?

You're welcome, VoronX! :)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

nsub1

Postby nsub1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Worst case:
"Looks okay."
(doesn't answer because she's dead)

Don't forget:
"Looks okay."
"BRAAAIIIIIINNNSSS"

Although maybe Cueball would be safe in this case. Anyway, maybe Megan will be like "I can see my house from here!"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”