1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rule110

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Rule110 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:40 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:I just edited my other post with the note on "Beanish10", the "7" symbol. I'm still wrapping my head around this new writing.

Hmmm....200 newpix ago GLR gave our astronomers something to "geek-out" about with the "Long Night". Now he doing the same for our linguists.

Fantastic. And everyone's enjoying the ride...........

Completely agree. I'm not going to be much help for this part, but numerous clever sly resourceful (so hard to decide on just the right adjective sometimes) linguists have already stepped up. I have to molpy down with my wolpies now, but I hope by the time I get up there will be a complete lexicon, grimoire, thesaurus, pronunciation guide, and children's K-6 primer series ready. :wink:
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

ofvn2vw1872

Postby ofvn2vw1872 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:45 am UTC

By my count we have 20 characters. That is, if what appear to be diacritic markings count as separate characters, and if they do not, then 18 characters and four diacritics/punctuation marks. Of these characters (from the original 20 count) 8 have been repeated, and one (the 7) repeated 3 times.

It seems enough that we may not see more characters. It will be interesting to see how the punctuation-ish marks move about.
"It never seems to occur to people that a man might just want to write a piece of music"

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Beanish

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:47 am UTC

I have a crude prototype for the Beanish converter. Now we need a calling convention. The simplest for me is something like:

Code: Select all

b:b b:e b:a b:n b:i b:s b:h

I could also try to do something like this:

Code: Select all

b:beanish
But first we need to decide which namespace to use and how to name the characters (we could also use Huffman-coded binary strings).
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

500th Post on the One True Thread

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:59 am UTC

Upon this, the occasion of my five-hundredth Post within the domain of the One True Thread, on the Eighth ante diem the Ides of Iulie, MMXIII, do I, Jay the Clerk, most humbly beg a boon:

Wise and wonderful BlitzGirl, thou who wert the First Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, yclept BlitzGirl the First, and many other titles of note including Mopey Molpy Mome, Troubador of Time, Archbishop of the Past, and B.O.B., and whom I wouldst further dare to title Ottifactor Superior:

An thou believest a humble clerk may justly aspire to such title, though "Gladly wolde he lerne and gladly teche";
An thou dost find my meager and sporadic contributions to the One True Thread worthy of such recognition;
An it be thy will and thy pleasure:

I beg that I may be allowed, by thy hand, to join the ranks of the Knights Temporal, in service to the One True Comic by way of the One True Thread, providing of course that I, like those many glorious Knights before me in precedence, am never called upon for any actual service.

In your able hands I leave my fate, Dame BlitzGirl, with my boundless gratitude upon your consideration of my request.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:00 am UTC

Like I said, I'm not much of a linguist, but maybe I can help by asking the right "trigger" questions.

Is there anybody here who knows about the "phonetic" alphabets? (Maybe the structure of the writing is phonetic?)
How about people who know any of the "constructed" languages, like Esperanto or (there's a newer one I've seen You Tube videos about, but I can't remember its name). Maybe they could help if it is a constructed language.

Any way that's what I have.

(And remember the scene from STTNG's "Darmok", when Troi said a word in Betazed and then asked the captain if the word was for "water', "glass", or "drink", to show how the proper context was needed.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:03 am UTC

Looing her Over Ong

Maybe the medic is already there, Or maybe deciding if she should walk on it.
Last edited by pelrigg on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:04 am UTC

ofvn2vw1872 wrote:By my count we have 20 characters. That is, if what appear to be diacritic markings count as separate characters, and if they do not, then 18 characters and four diacritics/punctuation marks. Of these characters (from the original 20 count) 8 have been repeated, and one (the 7) repeated 3 times.

It seems enough that we may not see more characters. It will be interesting to see how the punctuation-ish marks move about.

My guess is that the marks are diacritics, and not punctuation. I am conjecturing that the orthography being used is most similar to brahmic systems. I also think it would be easiest if the diacritics were used to denote vowels, but that may just be wishful thinking on my part.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

squonk

Postby squonk » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:10 am UTC

It's Aramaic. They are preparing to take them to the castle Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:12 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:I guess it (writing) stopped being fun. But I still like the story, I like imagining it...
In that case, try just concentrating on the story part, before actually writing the dialog and such.
Spoiler:
Instead of writing out the dialog and the action and all those details, first come up with the setup:

Our protagonist wants his girlfriend back.
Somebody else (the antagonist) wants that to not happen (could be the new boyfriend, could be the father...)
... it could even be the girlfriend's boss
Protagonist comes up with a plan: go back in time.
... fortunately he is the head of the Time Machine Company

Put some difficulties in his way way:
... it costs a lot of money to go back in time, so he's going to have to come up with an excuse.
... the board approves the trip back in time (under these false pretenses) but our antagonist needs to come along too.

etc... until your basic plot line is complete. Don't actually write the story yet. Now go back and ensure that the story actually flows well. If you are like me, you'll find that there are many things that need adjustment. For example, Fred needs to have known about Susan's betrayal before he can confront her. Or, he will need to have been (believably) unaware of it when he meets Susan (and would otherwise confront her). So, that tells you scenes that need to be put in between. You'll find other scenes that are not necessary... for example it may turn out to be unimportant that Fred was just made the head of the Time Machine Company... in which case you can drop that (still unwritten) scene and replace it with a sentence or two that merely establishes his position.

Once all the structure (the story itself) is laid out, then you can start writing the action, the dialog, the description, and all the other stuff that is the actual writing of the story.

Or, you may find that that particular story doesn't work at all. You can then drop it and move on to another one, with little wasted effort. In the future, parts of that (unused) story will probably make their way into other stories you dream up, and will work out better.

No matter what you write, there will be parts that work out better than other parts. That's ok. Only the mediocre are always at their best. :)
See if this helps the process remain fun.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:14 am UTC

I want to believe it's brahmic (I speak Tamil, a brahmic language, so that would be awesome!), but the Inuktitut alphabet BlitzGirl posted makes a lot more sense. It has the same structural appeal as brahnic languages (in that you modify a base consonant character to add different vowels to it), plus it has characters which closely resemble those seen in Beanish and it makes sense geographically as a parent language from what we deduced in the long night.
Last edited by Charm Quark on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lost forever in time...

ofvn2vw1872

Postby ofvn2vw1872 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:16 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
ofvn2vw1872 wrote:By my count we have 20 characters. That is, if what appear to be diacritic markings count as separate characters, and if they do not, then 18 characters and four diacritics/punctuation marks. Of these characters (from the original 20 count) 8 have been repeated, and one (the 7) repeated 3 times.

My guess is that the marks are diacritics, and not punctuation. I am conjecturing that the orthography being used is most similar to brahmic systems. I also think it would be easiest if the diacritics were used to denote vowels, but that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

It does seem that the degree and line symbols might be punctuation, but the dots and slanted lines are vowels. That being said, some words appear potentially vowel-less, at least to me.

I'm also trying some basic frequency analysis* with the 20 letter system vs. english, w/o looking at digraphs, but it needs more talking to get anything worthwhile.

*I know very little about linguistics, and am basically doing applied wikipedia.
"It never seems to occur to people that a man might just want to write a piece of music"

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:17 am UTC

The bandage almost looks like a dagger.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:19 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:The bandage almost looks like a dagger.
Yes, I had to consult the Book of Aubron to figure out what it was. I thought maybe she had her thwacking stick, but that didn't seem right.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

hdhale

Postby hdhale » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:20 am UTC

All this linguistic analysis, when it's pretty clear that they want to know how much for the girl, the girl shows she was damaged in transit but they figure she's still pricey because she has good teeth, so now one of them went back to the tribal chief to see if there is sufficient wampum to buy the girl anyway or perhaps offer to throw in a number of goats as a counter.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:22 am UTC

BlitzGirl already has the starting of a great wiki article for the language.

For thy quick response to Imperial Decree, I dub thee the favored imperial daughter of 1043.

Anyone else with meaningful things to contribute, please join in on the article. :)
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Charm Quark wrote:I want to believe it's brahnic (I speak Tamil, a brahnic language, so that would be awesome!), but the Inuktitut alphabet BlitzGirl posted makes a lot more sense. It has the same structural appeal as brahnic languages (in that you modify a base consonant character to add different vowels to it), plus it has characters which closely resemble those seen in Beanish and it makes sense geographically as a parent language from what we deduced in the long night.

Inuktitut does have strong resemblance. However, it would be dependant on whether or not we can establish that the orthography we are seeing uses pointing. If it does, it make a stronger case for similarity to Inuktitut or some other Canadian Aboriginal Syllabic writing system. If not, then I think we are back to looking at a Brahmic influence.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

The Knighting of jjjdavidson

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:32 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Upon this, the occasion of my five-hundredth Post within the domain of the One True Thread, on the Eighth ante diem the Ides of Iulie, MMXIII, do I, Jay the Clerk, most humbly beg a boon:

Wise and wonderful BlitzGirl, thou who wert the First Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, yclept BlitzGirl the First, and many other titles of note including Mopey Molpy Mome, Troubador of Time, Archbishop of the Past, and B.O.B., and whom I wouldst further dare to title Ottifactor Superior:

An thou believest a humble clerk may justly aspire to such title, though "Gladly wolde he lerne and gladly teche";
An thou dost find my meager and sporadic contributions to the One True Thread worthy of such recognition;
An it be thy will and thy pleasure:

I beg that I may be allowed, by thy hand, to join the ranks of the Knights Temporal, in service to the One True Comic by way of the One True Thread, providing of course that I, like those many glorious Knights before me in precedence, am never called upon for any actual service.

In your able hands I leave my fate, Dame BlitzGirl, with my boundless gratitude upon your consideration of my request.

Thou hast articulated a wowterful yet humble request. Forsooth, thou art one deserving of knighthood.

I, BlitzGirl, Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, bestow upon thee, Jay the Clerk, the Knighthood Temporal, in recognition of overall bardic excellence, brilliant charting of post frequencies, the naming of the Knights Temporal, and the introduction of double dactyling to all on the OTT. Arise, and continue Waiting for it!

Oh, and have some cake:
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Beanish

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:43 am UTC

Well, 6 functions later, the 'crude prototype' is pretty much complete.
Now, I'd like to ask again:
First, I need a prefix to work with, like b:this b:shows b:up b:in b:beanish b:to b:me.
Then, I need names (1 char if possible, no 2-byte Unicode fanciness for now) for the characters.
Please answer before I finish the movie and go coma.
@ucim, will read your reply later. It seems sea-ish.
Selecting new quote…

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:44 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

But Inuktitut uses diacritics. For example,

for naah, nuh, nay, knee, know, new, and n (no vowel) (EDIT: argh, forgetting my IPA vowels)
Last edited by Charm Quark on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:53 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Lost forever in time...

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:48 am UTC

One approach to this is to figure out things that they might be saying. As more data comes in, we can winnow things out and capture some phrase-meanings, even before letter-meanings come forth.

Using the Beanie Speech numbering system, the first frame of actual Beanie speech is BS 1. (The previous frame, BS 0, had Cugan speech)
BS-0 = M-2657 = GW-2662 = BA-2665
Dead Sea (which is big) Scrolls

spoilered info in wiki
Spoiler:
BS-1: first meeting, the three Beanies are in very similar poses. Leftmost (closest to Cuegan) speaks. It could be:

Hello (or its equivalent)
who are you?
Do you speak Beanie?
I don't understand.
Huh?

BS-2: middle Beanie speaks - a longer loqution. Hands are extended a bit; that position suggests he (or she) is asking a question. It could be:
Where are you from?
How did you get here?
Do you speak Beanie?

I am leaving out the possibilities that the Beanies are equally lost and are asking the Cuegan "Do you know the way to San Jose?"

BS-3 Cuegan speak

BS-4 Cuegan bandage removed. Rightmost Beanie has look of "Oh my!" Middle one curious, looking in. Leftmost (closest) one backing off a bit, perhaps to speak to the middle one.

BS-5: Middle Beanie speaks and points to whence the Beanies came (or to the third Beanie.. same direction) This results in...

BS-6: the rightmost Beanie going back whence they came. Probably a command. Could be:
Get/find/bring the doctor/elder/mommy/medical_kit (here).
The doctor/elder/mommy would know (what to do).

That's all I have now. Other thoughts?

ps - wasn't jjjdavidson already knighted? Is he a double knight now? (does that make him a day? or a weekend?)

Jose
edit: mustard BS number, wikilink
Last edited by ucim on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:53 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:52 am UTC

I know very little of what you're doing, Aluisio, so I don't think I can be much help. It all sounds good, though! :)

kenmelken wrote:BlitzGirl already has the starting of a great wiki article for the language.

For thy quick response to Imperial Decree, I dub thee the favored imperial daughter of 1043.

Thank you! It's only a glorified stub right now, so I would appreciate anyone else getting in on the article.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:55 am UTC

Charm Quark wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:

for naah, noh (same vowel as "ox"), nay, knee, know, new, and n (no vowel)

But also it relies on pointing, the rotation of the same character to denote a new value. From what I am seeing, the orthography being used does not contain the recurring shapes that would necessarily indicate pointing.

Why, GLR, why? In one dip I will be up in the mountains for a week with no access to the OTT or OTC. Just when things are really getting exciting. I hope that we find out more tomorrix. Until then, molpy down!
Spoiler:

Come well all! Keep the faith and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

ofvn2vw1872

Postby ofvn2vw1872 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:59 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Charm Quark wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:

But also it relies on pointing, the rotation of the same character to denote a new value. From what I am seeing, the orthography being used does not contain the recurring shapes that would necessarily indicate pointing.

Why, GLR, why? In one dip I will be up in the mountains for a week with no access to the OTT or OTC. Just when things are really getting exciting. I hope that we find out more tomorrix. Until then, molpy down!
Spoiler:

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

I'm really more and more into this idea, with the rotations and such, but it's beyond how I'm going to analyze the text, and so I think I'll stick to ignoring those details, until evidence for rotation becomes overwhelming.

I also think the context driven phrase trans-proximation may yield more narrative-friendly results in the short term.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:00 am UTC

Lots o-talkOng

edit : fixed my Ong. It took talkong & made it talking
Last edited by pelrigg on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:00 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I know very little of what you're doing, Aluisio, so I don't think I can be much help. It all sounds good, though! :)

Well, I can't just go replacing every single thing you folks write (actually, I could :twisted:), so I need something to look for, something that tells me that the next word should be displayed in Beanish. (beanish)like (beanish)this or b:this. Any text fragment will do. It should also be unusual (so I don't get false positives) and unambiguous.

I also need to know with which image I should replace what you've written.

These are the only things I need right now.
Selecting new quote…

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:01 am UTC

Whoo. Lots of new symbols in that one. Beanie-2 is quite the chatterbox. And it ends with another horizontal line.

I'll start working on a symbol update.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:06 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Whoo. Lots of new symbols in that one. Beanie-2 is quite the chatterbox. And it ends with another horizontal line.

I'll start working on a symbol update.

It looks like either their version of the event or a description of how bad the wound has festered.

Edit
I'm afraid I must coma.

Wait Hard, folks. Wait hard...
Last edited by pelrigg on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ofvn2vw1872

Postby ofvn2vw1872 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:06 am UTC

At this point... I'm saying there are definitely diacritical markings. The slant-y line from the n-humps are getting transferred to 7 and chair-dot.

Edit: and the 3/quarter rests seem to be a large and very similar family of shapes. Reminds me of that counting system that you had to write out in Riven. Much like the stars earlier had a myst-like feel.
Last edited by ofvn2vw1872 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:06 am UTC

I may have figured out what they said.
http://www.blisstonia.com/software/WebDecrypto/index.php wrote:FLY UP
FOX I TV CD DUG
EM RANKS WRETCH
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:08 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Charm Quark wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:

Spoiler:

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

Doesn't it seem like it uses pointing, though? The flats, epsilons and longtails all seem to fit the bill, and they all resemble inuktitut letters as well.

Either way, I'll molpy down and dream beanish dreams...

Spoiler:
Last edited by Charm Quark on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:15 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Lost forever in time...

Granian

Postby Granian » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:10 am UTC

Argh! At least four distinctive symbols are so familiar, I am certain I have seen them before, but I cannot remember where! This is going to drive me crazy.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:11 am UTC

The last character looks like a stick figure.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:13 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I know very little of what you're doing, Aluisio, so I don't think I can be much help. It all sounds good, though! :)

Well, I can't just go replacing every single thing you folks write (actually, I could :twisted:), so I need something to look for, something that tells me that the next word should be displayed in Beanish. (beanish)like (beanish)this or b:this. Any text fragment will do. It should also be unusual (so I don't get false positives) and unambiguous.

I also need to know with which image I should replace what you've written.

These are the only things I need right now.

b: works fine, I don't think it would come up too often elsewhere. As for the letters, maybe just give them indexes: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc and have a chart available somewhere. I only suggest this because we have no idea how they correspond to english phonemes/symbols/characters as of yet, so any system would have to be changed anyway once we figure more things out.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:16 am UTC

spoilered info in wiki
Spoiler:
BS-7: Rightmost Beanie leaves (presumably to get help)

BS-8: Remaining Beanies examine wound.

BS-9: Closest Beanie points to Megan's knee, speaks to the other (was middle) Beanie.
could be:
This looks serious.
I've never seen that before.
Looks like a keyboard attack.
At least nothing is broken.
... or the same, in question form.

AluisioASG wrote:Well, I can't just go replacing every single thing you folks write (actually, I could :twisted:), so I need something to look for, something that tells me that the next word should be displayed in Beanish. (beanish)like (beanish)this or b:this. Any text fragment will do. It should also be unusual (so I don't get false positives) and unambiguous.
How about a version of bbcode: [bean]eiwo[/bean] would translate into the four images which are referenced by the letters, e, i, w, and o respectively?

Then just pick letters and symbols that resemble the beanish ones. I'd wait for a few more loqutions before picking codes for them, to ensure a "best match". Maybe each code should be two letters, to allow for combos and diacritics and such, or for a more intuitive code for some of the symbols, so [bean]trv&e2%.[/bean] would translate into the images referred to by the codes tr v& e2 %. respectively. Or they could be written with spaces thus: [bean]tr v& e2 %.[/bean] for readability, like hex is.

Based on the list of BlitzGirl's Beanish Groupings, I'd propose these codings (one or two chars each), just because they sort of resemble the glyphs they would represent.

The flats: d do b bt
the epsilons: 33 3- 3
the longtails: .6 _6
the curled yews: CA ca
the pinched loops: g G
the sevens: 1 7C 7
the kay: k
the humpbacks N~ n n~
the enns: n N
the closed nine: q:
the chairs: 17 Li L|
the snake: ~
the open nine: 9-

Some of these however look like the same character, with variations due to handwriting. For that reason I'd hold off a bit longer on actually distingusishing the characters.

Jose
edit - mustard BS numbers, wikilink
Last edited by ucim on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:56 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

tallmanjones

Postby tallmanjones » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:37 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Greetings, kenmelken's best man! Feel free to hop in any Time you like. :)

Warm wishes and returned greetings, BlitzGirl, reigning queen of the OTT. Though I do not currently have the Time nor the munitions for a full blitz, I have had a lot of Ketchup lately and found it to my liking.

And greetings to everyone.

As a lowly newcomer, may I humbly request an update to the wiki's glossary? The transition from Outsider is a hard one, but so far worth the effort.
Perhaps our jargon needs a name itself. Maybe Time-ish. Or Timese?

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:47 am UTC

ucim wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Well, I can't just go replacing every single thing you folks write (actually, I could :twisted:), so I need something to look for, something that tells me that the next word should be displayed in Beanish. (beanish)like (beanish)this or b:this. Any text fragment will do. It should also be unusual (so I don't get false positives) and unambiguous.

How about a version of bbcode: [bean]eiwo[/bean] would translate into the four images which are referenced by the letters, e, i, w, and o respectively?

Then just pick letters and symbols that resemble the beanish ones. I'd wait for a few more loqutions before picking codes for them, to ensure a "best match". Maybe each code should be two letters, to allow for combos and diacritics and such, or for a more intuitive code for some of the symbols, so [bean]trv&e2%.[/bean] would translate into the images referred to by the codes tr v& e2 %. respectively. Or they could be written with spaces thus: [bean]tr v& e2 %.[/bean] for readability, like hex is.

Based on the list of BlitzGirl's Beanish Groupings, I'd propose these codings (one or two chars each), just because they sort of resemble the glyphs they would represent.

The flats: d do b bt
the epsilons: 33 3- 3
the longtails: .6 _6
the curled yews: CA ca
the pinched loops: g G
the sevens: 1 7C 7
the kay: k
the humpbacks N~ n n~
the enns: n N
the closed nine: q:
the chairs: 17 Li L|
the snake: ~
the open nine: 9-

Some of these however look like the same character, with variations due to handwriting. For that reason I'd hold off a bit longer on actually distingusishing the characters.

twerked it to work with open-close delimiters. §{So, do you American (and others) folks have § in your keyboard?}§
Selecting new quote…

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:49 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:do you American (and others) folks have § in your keyboard?

English here, and I don't have § on my leopard.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:50 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:twerked it to work with open-close delimiters. §{So, do you American (and others) folks have § in your keyboard?}§

Nope, but Alt + 0167 isn't hard to remember! §

Of course, that kind of leaves americans on laptops in the dust...
How about & instead? It's not as if it's that common of a character, and if you combine it with the bracket notation it's virtually never going to falsely identify.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:00 am UTC

ComONG back.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:04 am UTC

BeanieThreenie is holding something - what could it be? Sticks? Bandages? Medicinal herbs? Well, I won't find out till tomorrow. Raptor down!

Have a nice coma, y'all.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”