1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Angua » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

You should call them thiamine, riboflavin and niacin.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

HES wrote:
NoMouse wrote:(so which beanish symbol stands for "Molpy"?)

All of them -their speech translates to this.
OK, so some of them have to mean 'grapevine' and 'snake' as well

ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImage ImageImage
ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImage ImageImage
ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImage ImageImage
ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage Image ImageImageImage ImageImage Image ImageImageImage Image
ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImage ImageImage
etc.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

mscha wrote:About to be learnONGing the Beanish for "water"

Actually maybe not. I think Beanie is asking what it is and Cueball (if he knows) will say "coffee".

If Cueball remains silent we might stand a chance of learning the Beanie word for coffee.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Okay okay. I know how to identify the Beanies when required to:

Eenie beanie biny boe.
catch a molpy by the toe.
If he chirpies, let him go,
Eenie, Beanie, biny, boe.

⁴ ² beanification!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

Re: Beanie names:

I know we've already given them a variety of names (since I was the one who first suggested The Stooges names :D ) and have used taixzo's names (and others as well); I was trying to come up with more gender-neutral nicknames based on what
Angelastic wrote:<snip>
By the way, does anyone else think the beanies are statistically more likely to be female, what with being the same height as Megan? I've been thinking of them as being female, not that anyone's chirpytalia or molpysomes have anything to do with the story. I motion that we call them beanies rather than beanie guys until we see sex scenes or have some way to tell them apart to assign them names and genders.

So that's why the new suggestions.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
HES wrote:
NoMouse wrote:(so which beanish symbol stands for "Molpy"?)

All of them -their speech translates to this.
OK, so some of them have to mean 'grapevine' and 'snake' as well

ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage
etc.

and all I can hear is "snaaaaaaaaaaaake, it's a snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake"
:lol:
Rule110, good call on the comb, I totally missed your reference. I may want to go take a small dipcoma, and then, like Jimi, try to get up again
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

Back to the current newpic.

Will the word Moe/Ali/Beanie-1 be their word for "cup" or "water"A?

Awater or whatever it is in the cup?

@ fhorn: I'm waiting for someone to ask "why" you said that. :wink:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
taixzo wrote:No, it's a terrible idea! Why would Cueball need a comb?

So he could trade it later for a watch fob?

Oooh, you win a (caffeinatedsemencancerbabymolpy) Internet for that most devious lateral-thinking response!

There's a National Lampoon parody, which I wouldn't link to even if I could find it, but if you're a twisted sexual deviant (aka college frosh), look it up :oops:
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

TeachONG...
"Quiche."
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

Our first word!!! Water!
Could still be a semi-direct translation... I see five symbols.
Last edited by EraObserver on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
*Insert witty comment*

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:TeachONG...
Spoiler:

"Quiche."

Haha, quiche... Until we hear Cueball (next frame?) say what he knows it is, we have nothing to go on yet. Could be simple (water), could be culturally weird (H2O). Could simply be water since that's what Megan said it was earlier, unless they've made coffee.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

EraObserver wrote:Our first word!!! Water!

Or "cup", or "drink", or "ceramics", or "point", or...
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

"Grey Poupon."
"It's the low-fat version."
"New Coke."
"Have you heard the latest from the TdF?"
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:

"Wet finger"!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:"Quiche."

Milk! Teachers!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Rule110, good call on the comb, I totally missed your reference. I may want to go take a small dipcoma, and then, like Jimi, try to get up again

Aw, it wasn't supposed to be a big important reference that people would get or not get. The role the comb was filling in my scenario (Cueball, by attempting to pantomime, accidently sells Megan to the Beanies for two buckets and a pocket comb) was 99% "small object of minor value." It could have been a pair of socks or a pencil without affecting the joke much. Then I thought it would be a bit funnier if the third "random" item were something Cueball couldn't even use, and that maybe Megan could have used if she hadn't been traded away for it. That naturally made me think of the O. Henry story, so I chose a comb. (Not a hairbrush like in the story, though, because that would step on the main joke, in that the hairbrush in the story was a very expensive luxury item.) But you don't need to know the story for the irony to work.

(Some people think dissecting humor ruins it. I always think it's hilarious! :lol: )
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:

True. But what is most probable? The language is different, but human behavior does have enough constants to believe that the only way to refer to a liquid is in a container, and thus if you point to a container holding a liquid you mean the liquid.
And even if he said H2O, that is just showing the perspective of the speaker/language, and doesn't negate the meaning. Same way I call shoes tennis shoes, and another person sneakers.

But I'll agree that perhaps conclusions should wait for cueball to respond.
*Insert witty comment*

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

Two of the funniest things I've seen this ketchup:
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:Okay okay. I know how to identify the Beanies when required to:

Eenie beanie biny boe.
catch a molpy by the toe.
If he chirpies, let him go,
Eenie, Beanie, biny, boe.

mscha wrote:ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImage ImageImage
etc.
Also, it's quite possible that Beanie-1 just said, "Neat."
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
fhorn wrote:Rule110, good call on the comb, I totally missed your reference. I may want to go take a small dipcoma, and then, like Jimi, try to get up again

Aw, it wasn't supposed to be a big important reference that people would get or not get. The role the comb was filling in my scenario (Cueball, by attempting to pantomime, accidently sells Megan to the Beanies for two buckets and a pocket comb) was 99% "small object of minor value." It could have been a pair of socks or a pencil without affecting the joke much. Then I thought it would be a bit funnier if the third "random" item were something Cueball couldn't even use, and that maybe Megan could have used if she hadn't been traded away for it. That naturally made me think of the O. Henry story, so I chose a comb. (Not a hairbrush like in the story, though, because that would step on the main joke, in that the hairbrush in the story was a very expensive luxury item.) But you don't need to know the story for the irony to work.

(Some people think dissecting humor ruins it. I always think it's hilarious! :lol: )

I think that you way over-think your one line posts. :D

EraObserver wrote:True. But what is most probable? The language is different, but human behavior does have enough constants to believe that the only way to refer to a liquid is in a container, and thus if you point to a container holding a liquid you mean the liquid.

What I was really getting at was that we don't know what is in the cup, or whether there is anything in there at all. Or if it's even a cup.

I agree that he is most likely referring to the contents though. ;)
Last edited by Wildhound on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

Looks to me like the Beanie is speaking loudly and slowly.

ETA: Rule110, I'm always interested in the thought process behind a good joke or reference!

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

Notice that the font is drawn much cleaner for this word instead of the rough drawing in speeches before. This Beanie is enunciating carefully.

ETA: Frakkin' ninja'd with the same idea.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

Spoiler:
"Quiche."

I dunno, all I see is "blonde, brunette, redhead"...
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Also, it's quite possible that Beanie-1 just said, "Neat."

Nah, it's too early in the morning for the whiskey to come out.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

And the place where the 'e' would be looks like the way other scriptish-languages look for a vowel. Namely Arabic or Tolkien Elvish. :P

Alright, guys. This isn't Dream Theater or Les Miserables epic. In fact, it's not epic at all. But it is VAL'S FIRST FILK. I've been thinking of doing this song for quite some time...

Waiters and Sand
An OTTification of Heroes of Sand by Angra.
Spoiler:
LaPetite!
Nothing to see
Like a stick figure ghost
She creeps in the pane
Forever a mystery.

Close my eyes
Rising won't cease
Crawling down to the edge
To build a small dike
It comes from the river small.

And goes.. into the sea. Oh...

Pack! Leave!
Moving ahead
Find the source of the rising
leaving our castle. Bye.

Walk! Climb!
Losing my head
The air up here is different
not like our home - down there...
The castle will fade some day

When the raptors attack
They shed blood of poor Meg
Cueball helps out
with the flag from the sand.
The sun goes down
And the stars light the land
Dreaming of their castle on the sand.

Haunted by the longish night
Cueball is keeping his watch.
When Megan wakes up she'll
tell Cueball that she's OK!

As they meet their new friends
Beanie bunch of the land
they save the day
with their paste and their hands.
Cuegan get rest
With their hearts in their hands

On the sand.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra".

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Charm Quark wrote:Hmmm...I couldn't find any information on the average length of posts, unfortunately (although admittedly I wasn't as thorough as I could have been :oops: ).
When there were 668 pages in the thread, I did this analysis, if you can call it that. Two million divided by forty posts per page and divided by 668 pages yields an average post length of 75 (original) words. Not every post counts as religious text though, there is a lot of apocrapha in the thread too. We'd need a diet of molpies to sort it all out.

Oooh, interesting. I do think you could argue that the OTT is the longest piece of religious literature (in that the OTT as a whole is central to our "religion") ever created, though.

Also, I'm excited for the next newpix. I predict Cueball will repeat the Beanish word for water in English characters, allowing us to speculate on what sound (or sounds) each of the beanish characters corresponds to!
Lost forever in time...

sford

Postby sford » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

Spoiler:

"Quiche."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

"Quiche" got a genuine, out-loud guffaw. :-)

Too much damn cake around here; have some nice jambalaya. Yum!

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:

fhorn wrote:"Grey Poupon."
"New Coke."

Ximenez wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

"Wet finger"!

Oh, come on. There's a fine line between thinking laterally and being open minded, and being deliberately obtuse... :roll:

Spoiler:
The situation in the comic reminds me of early learning-program experiments in AI. Different learning programs were tested with cases like this:
Input data:
f(1) = 1
f(2) = 2
f(3) = 3
f(4) = 4
f(5) = 5
Query:
What is f(6)?

Programs that made risky assumptions easily answered the question, but "open minded" learning programs that didn't make assumptions could not answer. After all, the function in the above case could be some sixth-order polynomial that could then have any possible value for f(6). Better to wait for f(6)=6 (or not) to be directly confirmed before answering. In short, such programs could learn nothing except to repeat back the same data that was fed into them.
Time after Time...

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
Spoiler:
Wildhound wrote:

fhorn wrote:"Grey Poupon."
"New Coke."

Ximenez wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

"Wet finger"!

Oh, come on. There's a fine line between thinking laterally and being open minded, and being deliberately obtuse... :roll:

Spoiler:
The situation in the comic reminds me of early learning-program experiments in AI. Different learning programs were tested with cases like this:
Input data:
f(1) = 1
f(2) = 2
f(3) = 3
f(4) = 4
f(5) = 5
Query:
What is f(6)?

Programs that made risky assumptions easily answered the question, but "open minded" learning programs that didn't make assumptions could not answer. After all, the function in the above case could be some sixth-order polynomial that could then have any possible value for f(6). Better to wait for f(6)=6 (or not) to be directly confirmed before answering. In short, such programs could learn nothing except to repeat back the same data that was fed into them.

You're right. What Beanie#1 said is "6".

BlitzGirl

ᘛ - Beanish Update

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

New speech: ImageImageImageImage
It does indeed seem to be written clearly, much easier to grab the symbols from this one. Compare the new longtail to the others in its grouping.
The new symbol in this bunch is the longtail with the horizontal line (punctuation?) at the end of the phrase: Image
This is only the second "horizontal" longtail we've seen; the first, in speech 2, had a dot and ended a word: Image
The former sixes are now grouped under longtails.

The Speeches

Speech 1: ImageImageImage ImageImage
Speech 2: ImageImageImage Image ImageImage ImageImage ImageImageImage
Speech 3: ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Speech 4: ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image Image ImageImageImageImage
Speech 5: ImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Speech 6: ImageImageImage ImageImage
Speech 7: ImageImageImageImage

The Groupings

The flats: Image Image Image Image Image
The epsilons: Image Image Image Image Image Image
The longtails: Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
The curled yews: Image Image Image
The pinched loops : Image Image
The sevens: Image Image Image Image
The kay: Image
The humpbacks: Image Image Image
The enns: Image Image
The closed nines: Image Image
The chairs: Image Image Image Image Image Image
The snake: Image
The open nine: Image
The twos: Image Image Image Image

ImageImageImageImage spoiler:
Spoiler:

Beanish49.png
Beanish49.png (1.05 KiB) Viewed 12224 times

Beanish50.png
Beanish50.png (1.08 KiB) Viewed 12224 times

Beanish51.png
Beanish51.png (1.2 KiB) Viewed 12224 times

Beanish52.png
Beanish52.png (1.19 KiB) Viewed 12224 times

RedundantBeanish5.png
RedundantBeanish5.png (166.65 KiB) Viewed 12224 times

Keywords: Beanish language symbol symbols alphabet Beanong Beanie-ish Beanie-ese letter letters writing images BGUM
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time" TdF Update

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

Today's 40km time trial was won by Tony Martin of Germany in 36'29", twelve seconds ahead of Froome. Conventional wisdom had Martin as the favorite as he is now world champion in that event. He had a serious injury in stage 1 but has recovered enough to win his specialty. Froome was actually leading by a bit at the two intermediate time checks, but faded slightly at the end.
Spoiler:
There are 182 riders still in the race. They started the day with a head wind that caused some difficulties. They were riding toward Mont San Michel on the coast and so headwinds were expected.

Svein Tuft of Canada, who crashed yesterday and was in last place (for the day) is the Canadian Time Trial champion. He had the best time for quite a while. But Tony Martin, who also started early in the day beat everyone. Froome started four hours later than Martin, so Martin had to wait all afternoon to learn he had won. Until Froome, no one came very close.

Initially in an individual TT, the riders start two minutes apart, with the last 20 riders (with the best overall times) starting 3 minutes apart. There were a few riders who overtook their "two-minute man".

Michal Kwiatkowski (OPQ) takes the white (youth) jersey from Nairo Quintana (MOV), finishing nearly 2 minutes ahead the former youth leader. Kwiatkowski is in 7th overall. A few points toward the green jersey today leaves him 6th in that competition. He had the white jersey earlier also. Otherwise no changes in the jersey competitions except for times toward the yellow.

Froome rode a much better race than his rivals and so opens time on everyone. He has a 3'25" lead over Valverde in second. Contador moved up to 4th. The tenth rider is 5'39" back. The lanterne rouge is more than two hours back in the general.

Tomorrow is another flat stage for the sprinters. They are happy, but the GC riders can't wait to get to the Alps where the "real" race is held. 218km, with no hills tomorrow. Gets underway at about noon on the Continent.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

My prediction: Randall did indeed invent an entire new language. Us OTTers will quickly decypher it, as we did with the night sky, and become fluent. Then, we will all start talking in Beanish for a newpage or two until someone points out that we are being terribly annoying to the Blitzers. Someone will register "translatebeanish.com" and then we will all wait happily ever after.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Charm Quark

Re: ᘛ - Beanish Update

Postby Charm Quark » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:New speech: ImageImageImageImage
It does indeed seem to be written clearly, much easier to grab the symbols from this one. Compare the new longtail to the others in its grouping.
The new symbol in this bunch is the longtail with the horizontal line (punctuation?) at the end of the phrase: Image
This is only the second "horizontal" longtail we've seen; the first, in speech 2, had a dot and ended a word: Image
The former sixes are now grouped under longtails.

Spoiler:
The Speeches

Speech 1: ImageImageImage ImageImage
Speech 2: ImageImageImage Image ImageImage ImageImage ImageImageImage
Speech 3: ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Speech 4: ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image Image ImageImageImageImage
Speech 5: ImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Speech 6: ImageImageImage ImageImage
Speech 7: ImageImageImageImage

The Groupings

The flats: Image Image Image Image Image
The epsilons: Image Image Image Image Image Image
The longtails: Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
The curled yews: Image Image Image
The pinched loops : Image Image
The sevens: Image Image Image Image
The kay: Image
The humpbacks: Image Image Image
The enns: Image Image
The closed nines: Image Image
The chairs: Image Image Image Image Image Image
The snake: Image
The open nine: Image
The twos: Image Image Image Image

Hmmm...In Inuktitut a line corresponds to "e" while a dot corresponds to "i" (according to http://www.ydli.org/dakinfo/dulktop.htm which you linked to earlier)
Lost forever in time...

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:

And the place where the 'e' would be looks like the way other scriptish-languages look for a vowel. Namely Arabic or Tolkien Elvish. :P

Alright, guys. This isn't Dream Theater or Les Miserables epic. In fact, it's not epic at all. But it is VAL'S FIRST FILK. I've been thinking of doing this song for quite some time...

Waiters and Sand
Spoiler:
LaPetite!
Nothing to see
She creeps in the pane
Forever a mystery.

Close my eyes
Rising won't cease
To build a small dike

Pack! Leave!
Moving ahead
leaving our castle. Bye.

Walk! Climb!
Losing my head

When the raptors attack
Cueball helps out
The sun goes down

Beanie bunch of the land
they save the day
Cuegan get rest

On the sand.

I disagree. It's completely epic! Well done. 8-) 8-)

I don't know the band, but this song at least is giving me flashbacks to Kansas for some reason. (Which makes me think of OTTifying "Carry On Wayward Son," but I'm not sure anyone would remember the song.)
Time after Time...

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

There are many things and people called Beanish. I'd like to call it Beanong, as was suggested some newpages ago. (I know "ong" ("ONG") has a different use. But Beanong has a nice OTTish ring to it.)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Waiters and Sand
Spoiler:
LaPetite!
Nothing to see
She creeps in the pane
Forever a mystery.

Close my eyes
Rising won't cease
To build a small dike

Pack! Leave!
Moving ahead
leaving our castle. Bye.

Walk! Climb!
Losing my head

When the raptors attack
Cueball helps out
The sun goes down

Beanie bunch of the land
they save the day
Cuegan get rest

On the sand.

Image That's very good for your first ottification, Valarya!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:

[center]Waiters and Sand

I disagree. It's completely epic! Well done. 8-) 8-)

I don't know the band, but this song at least is giving me flashbacks to Kansas for some reason. (Which makes me think of OTTifying "Carry On Wayward Son," but I'm not sure anyone would remember the song.)

Thanks! :)

And of course people would remember that song! It's pretty popular on the 70's rock stations and anyone who has played Guitar Hero in the past 8 years will know it well. Do it!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Marsh'n

Marsh'n blitzing to you from NP53 (5%)

Postby Marsh'n » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

I am realizing how much of my blitzposting is consumed with meeting all of you for the first time. That's probably boring. I dunno - feel free to PM me if my signposts need a course correction.
We've now entered the land of the pixel-watchers and pixel-diff'ers and "I WAITED A HALF HOUR FOR ONE DARKENING PIXEL" t-shirts.
There are a lot of once-regulars who seem to have disappeared. I'm hoping I'll find at least an explanation when I get to the end of their strands of the thread.
Spoiler:
@AluisioASG Your avatar changed! What's up with that?

Firstposts: Dracomax, k.bookbinder, Kieryn (w/ auto-castle script), macraw83, HAL9000!
MIA: htom, Mr Moriarty, SWuh
Themes:
  • Measuring time in half hours, and recognizing other Timewaiters in the Outside by it
  • The gender/pronoun thing (thanks yaddayadda for Spivak pronouns intro!)
  • SWuh and company "how my S.O. reacts to my Time addiction"
Concepts:
  • sqrdsqr: Actually uses phrase "cancer baby's" [sic] for the first time?
  • daef: suggesting using lynx - to view a comic? :lol:
  • FayZee: Using "comatose" to ask about another member's state
  • manvandmann: grouping frames into periods
  • BJ Nemeth's "Time may not be cyclical, but human behavior is" page (+ Boom De Yada).
  • peewee_RotA: "A massive thread without a flame war? It's about Time!"
  • ggrohman and TheMulattoMaker: "Time-frames" and "newpix"

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

No respONGse:

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

suzi

Postby suzi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:There are many things and people called Beanish. I'd like to call it Beanong, as was suggested some newpages ago. (I know "ong" ("ONG") has a different use. But Beanong has a nice OTTish ring to it.)

I too prefer Beanong and gladly back this movement

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”