1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

lgw wrote:We can be pretty sure that ImageImageImageImage isn't just a straight substitution for the letters W A T E R.

E T and A are such common letters, that if Beanong were English we'd have seen them a lot in just the few samples that we have, but Image and Image seem scarce in what we have - though I can see "ER" being one symbol, which would be less common.

I'd be really surprised and [heresy]disappointed in the GLR[/heresy] if it turns out that the Beanon language is just English, written differently.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:The matter of the three beanies' names is not settled, yet? Fine. I'm suggesting Huey, Dewey, and Louie.

I don't think the female person(s) in the Beanie Bunch would appreciate the suggestion. :wink:
Oh, and you're ninja'd by Ebonite on NP 1039.

ETA:
No decree, as the OTT seems to be zipping along pretty quickly todip.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Happy 1600 posts Blitzgirl!!

Spoiler:
Sheesh, I made you a cake, did you really want a redundakitty too?
1600cake.jpg

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Yay! Redundakitties are always nice, but four cakes more than makes up for that! Thanks! :D
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

Happy 1600th, BlitzGirl! Not long before you pass me and newpixbot, I think. Image
No cake from me, marchlight has that pretty well covered.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

The new symbol ( Image ) might just be a "c" with emphasis marks above it, and a carat underneath to show rising voice, such as the difference between

"no"
"no!"
and "noooooooooooo...."

Edited for smaller o's
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:The new symbol ( Image ) might just be a "c" with emphasis marks above it, and a carat underneath to show rising voice...

I agree; that's why I called it "the sea." And I suppose it only makes sense that the Sea is rising...
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

BlitzGirl, let me add my congratulations on your 1600th. (And I noticed your 1601 post popeness was on NP 1061.)

Also, if mscha posts as much as he usually does he'll hit his "Birth Year" post todip, maybe tomorrow, but certainly by the nextdip. (Of course if he doesn't point it out we'll never know.) But it looks like he'll be the first in this forum to do just that. (No, I don't think you've already passed your "BY" post.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
lgw wrote:We can be pretty sure that ImageImageImageImage isn't just a straight substitution for the letters W A T E R.

E T and A are such common letters, that if Beanong were English we'd have seen them a lot in just the few samples that we have, but Image and Image seem scarce in what we have - though I can see "ER" being one symbol, which would be less common.

I'd be really surprised and [heresy]disappointed in the GLR[/heresy] if it turns out that the Beanon language is just English, written differently.

If that was the case, then what are Cuegan speaking, a language that looks orthographically identical to English but is not English?

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:The matter of the three beanies' names is not settled, yet? Fine. I'm suggesting Huey, Dewey, and Louie.

I don't think the female person(s) in the Beanie Bunch would appreciate the suggestion. :wink:

Xuey, Xewey and Xouie!

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

Oh, and you're ninja'd by Ebonite on NP 1039.

Woah, I won't call that "ninja'd", I call it careless *growl*. So, I just agree with Ebonite! :)

About that male/female-thingie... then they'd be April, May, and June. But I don't see any high-heels. So they must be Huey, Dewey, and Louie.
Yes, the logic feels a bit... strange. But I like the outcome. We would have to choose Robin, Kim, and Theo, otherwise. Does not have the same appeal, doesn't it.

Sniff.

Aaaw, well. Forget it. I'm sleepy.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

I wonder if GLR has factored in the massive increase in forum space on the server with all the cakes and GIFs!

(also, every now and again I forget that the ONGs dont have alt text and get upset expecting some dramatic/witty addage. Well, I guess the OTC does have alt text!)

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
Wildhound wrote:Hahahahahaha, let's not get ratty about numbering. I'm on your side, but I still think we need to accept that not everyone is / will use the same one.

He's got a point, though. It would be very helpful if people at least say which one they're using or things will get very confusing...

I agree, but at the same time, regardless of what we decide there will be people who dip in and out of the OTT and aren't aware of the standards we have decided on without them. I don't think they should ever feel excluded or harassed as a result. (Not saying mscha is harassing people but I do think he was treading very close to snarky ;))

Personally I've found it much more of a chore to go to one of the frame archive sites and type/paste in a number than to go back and forward a few frames to get from one numbering system to another. People who are really just dipping into the thread would have to go to additional effort just to find out which sites were available. That's why I advocate always linking to or embedding frames (preferably using a URL that is unlikely to change in later numbering schisms, such as one with the hash), and I don't particularly care what system you use to name them; it's unambiguous and actually makes it easy for those of us who haven't memorised all the frames with their numbers to see what you're talking about. mscha's site even has an 'Embed using BBCode' thingy to help with the linking. :)

Am I repeating myself? myself? myself? myself?

The new symbol does include the mark that Cueball got slightly wrong, so it could be saying 'no, [that sound], ['water' with that sound emphasised]' as Charm Quark suggested.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Montov

Postby Montov » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Xuey, Xewey and Xouie!

Dusty, Indy & Windy.

Whatever happened to the dust, anybody know?

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

iisjreg wrote:(also, every now and again I forget that the ONGs dont have alt text and get upset expecting some dramatic/witty addage. Well, I guess the OTC does have alt text!)
Yes. It's always "Wait for it".

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

Mary, Larry, and Gary?
Jay, Kay, and May?
Bill, Phil, and Jill?
Pat, Pat, and Pat?

(Don't mind me, I'll just go back to integers now.)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

HES wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
HES wrote:
Rule110 wrote:(Which makes me think of OTTifying "Carry On Wayward Son," but I'm not sure anyone would remember the song.)

Ninjad, but I'm a 90s kid and I know the song (even before guitar hero). Dooo it!! :D

Oh, it was you who filked that was it? When Rule110 mentioned it I could've sworn I'd seen it done before, went to check on the wiki but it wasn't listed...

Huh? "Not I", said the molpy*. I was just encouraging Rule110, but someone mentioned Guitar Hero before me

*I expect this reference to be lost on most people

Oh, I thought by "ninja'd" you meant you'd filked the song before. I could've sworn I'd seen it done...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

Montov wrote:
SinusPi wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Xuey, Xewey and Xouie!

Dusty, Indy & Windy.

I noticed some time ago that Huey, Dewey and Louie have pretty neat names in other languages, by the way. Tick Trick, Track, Qui Qua Quo, Tupu, Hupu, Lupu, etc. The Spanish version even depends on the country. Here's a list. Maybe we should name the beanies something similar in beanish, once we figure out where the vowels are. Or Binu, Bunu and Banu.

Incidentally, I don't have anything against assigning arbitrary genders and gendered names to them (we've done that to Megan and Cueball, after all) I just meant it should be done when we can tell them apart. Which I guess we can now, but not easily.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Good MornONG

Edit
Well, I've made my case for names based on actions, and a set made with an on the fly joke; I'll just wait for it, then. The choice in this case.

must to "outside" go...
Last edited by pelrigg on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

ApproachONG
Spoiler:

No Beanish in this frame.

Edit: ninja'd.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

anabatica

Postby anabatica » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

All of the symbols that have dots on them EXCEPT the chair are at the ends of words. I was thinking it could denote a comma, but the chair messes that up.

I'm also annoyed at the aforementioned apparent lack of punctuation in frame A2700.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
Valarya wrote:100 OTTers agreeing that it's emphasis. I like it. And now we're getting somewhere! Good job, Cueball.

And look at all those OTTers treating Cueball with just a little more resect! I knew he was smarted than all those folk have been saying.

Yr all missing it: Cueball speaks Beanonese fluently. He's just not letting Megan in on this little fact.
Actually, Cueball is a Beanon spy (hence the lack of cap) who has spring Megan, a highly skilled neurosurgeon and rocket scientist, from the clutches of the evil Dr. Lizdoomardo. They're about to start a screamin' rock band (perhaps rolling down their cap brims in the style of Cat Civil Unrest ) .
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
HES wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
HES wrote:
Rule110 wrote:(Which makes me think of OTTifying "Carry On Wayward Son," but I'm not sure anyone would remember the song.)

Ninjad, but I'm a 90s kid and I know the song (even before guitar hero). Dooo it!! :D

Oh, it was you who filked that was it? When Rule110 mentioned it I could've sworn I'd seen it done before, went to check on the wiki but it wasn't listed...

Huh? "Not I", said the molpy*. I was just encouraging Rule110, but someone mentioned Guitar Hero before me
*I expect this reference to be lost on most people

Oh, I thought by "ninja'd" you meant you'd filked the song before. I could've sworn I'd seen it done...

I think everybody may be remembering a different Kansas song ─ both Dracomax and Marsh'n have done timeodies of "Dust in the Wind".

* "Then I'll just have to do it myself," said the little red molpy.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

richP

Postby richP » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:The new symbol ( Image ) might just be a "c" with emphasis marks above it, and a carat underneath to show rising voice...

I agree; that's why I called it "the sea." And I suppose it only makes sense that the Sea is rising...

Oh, and the emphasis marks mean it does what it wants! Neat!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:
iisjreg wrote:(also, every now and again I forget that the ONGs dont have alt text and get upset expecting some dramatic/witty addage. Well, I guess the OTC does have alt text!)

In which case (I probably skipped over someone else suggesting this), the three Beanons' names are "Wait" , "For" , and "It" .
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Ximenez wrote:

In which case (I probably skipped over someone else suggesting this), the three Beanons' names are "Wait" , "For" , and "It" .

Which, of course, changes whenever one of them tags another - then they become "It".
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Quick prediction: Cueball holds out the <unidentified drinking vessel> to Megan and says,
ImageImageImageImage

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

Well if the dots and lines represent inflection, then the dots could mean an accented syllable, suggesting that they tend to accent the last syllable of the word, and they like to end words in vowels. Also, if it's true, it could help us identify the vowel sounds, though, again, doesn't help with translation, just having an idea what it sounds like.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Actually, Cueball is a Beanon spy (hence the lack of cap) who has spring Megan, a highly skilled neurosurgeon and rocket scientist, from the clutches of the evil Dr. Lizdoomardo. They're about to start a screamin' rock band (perhaps rolling down their cap brims in the style of Cat Civil Unrest ) .

Then the things on the tower are oscillation overthrusters.
And La Petite is actually Perfect Tommy.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

@Valarya: Treeish ottification - not the work of a newcomer at all, but of somebody with a fine touch.

cellocgw wrote:Yr all missing it: Cueball speaks Beanonese fluently. He's just not letting Megan in on this little fact. Actually, Cueball is a Beanon spy (hence the lack of cap) who has spring Megan, a highly skilled neurosurgeon and rocket scientist, from the clutches of the evil Dr. Lizdoomardo. They're about to start a screamin' rock band (perhaps rolling down their cap brims in the style of Cat Civil Unrest ) .
Thus ends Time?

jovialbard wrote:Well if the dots and lines represent inflection, then the dots could mean an accented syllable, suggesting that they tend to accent the last syllable of the word, and they like to end words in vowels. Also, if it's true, it could help us identify the vowel sounds, though, again, doesn't help with translation, just having an idea what it sounds like.
I suspect that while the OTA almost certainly has invented a language for them, he hasn't gone so far as to incorporate parts of the language that do not translate (sic) well in this medium. Since there is no audio in the comic (so far), I suspect he has put his efforts in other parts of the language.

Now when Molpy Goldwin Mayor gives him a movie contract, that may change.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
Valarya wrote:Alright, guys. This isn't Dream Theater or Les Miserables epic. In fact, it's not epic at all. But it is VAL'S FIRST FILK. I've been thinking of doing this song for quite some time...

Waiters and Sand
An OTTification of Heroes of Sand by Angra.
Spoiler:
LaPetite!
Nothing to see
Like a stick figure ghost
She creeps in the pane
Forever a mystery.

Close my eyes
Rising won't cease
Crawling down to the edge
To build a small dike
It comes from the river small.

And goes.. into the sea. Oh...

Pack! Leave!
Moving ahead
Find the source of the rising
leaving our castle. Bye.

Walk! Climb!
Losing my head
The air up here is different
not like our home - down there...
The castle will fade some day

When the raptors attack
They shed blood of poor Meg
Cueball helps out
with the flag from the sand.
The sun goes down
And the stars light the land
Dreaming of their castle on the sand.

Haunted by the longish night
Cueball is keeping his watch.
When Megan wakes up she'll
tell Cueball that she's OK!

As they meet their new friends
Beanie bunch of the land
they save the day
with their paste and their hands.
Cuegan get rest
With their hearts in their hands
Dreaming of their castle on the sand.

On the sand.

I disagree. It's completely epic! Well done. 8-) 8-)

Seconded.

taixzo wrote:My prediction: Randall did indeed invent an entire new language. Us OTTers will quickly decypher it, as we did with the night sky, and become fluent. Then, we will all start talking in Beanish for a newpage or two until someone points out that we are being terribly annoying to the Blitzers. Someone will register "translatebeanish.com" and then we will all wait happily ever after.

I read this post about three newpix after it was posted, and translatebeanish.com does not seem to be registered (yet). I'm slightly disappointed... :wink:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

richP

Postby richP » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:I read this post about three newpix after it was posted, and translatebeanish.com does not seem to be registered (yet). I'm slightly disappointed... :wink:

I had the same thought as you did, but then came to the conclusion that everyone was busy Rule 34ing beanies.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:About that male/female-thingie... then they'd be April, May, and June. But I don't see any high-heels. So they must be Huey, Dewey, and Louie.
Yes, the logic feels a bit... strange. But I like the outcome. We would have to choose Robin, Kim, and Theo, otherwise. Does not have the same appeal, doesn't it.

Sniff.

Aaaw, well. Forget it. I'm sleepy.

Haha, I love a well-timed 'Sniff.' It's so hard to pull off appropriately, but you did. And I giggled. :mrgreen:

jjjdavidson wrote:I think everybody may be remembering a different Kansas song

I assure you HES and I are remembering the correct one. ;) DO IT!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

ucim wrote:@Valarya: Treeish ottification - not the work of a newcomer at all, but of somebody with a fine touch.

cellocgw wrote:Yr all missing it: Cueball speaks Beanonese fluently. He's just not letting Megan in on this little fact. Actually, Cueball is a Beanon spy (hence the lack of cap) who has spring Megan, a highly skilled neurosurgeon and rocket scientist, from the clutches of the evil Dr. Lizdoomardo. They're about to start a screamin' rock band (perhaps rolling down their cap brims in the style of Cat Civil Unrest ) .
Thus ends Time?

jovialbard wrote:Well if the dots and lines represent inflection, then the dots could mean an accented syllable, suggesting that they tend to accent the last syllable of the word, and they like to end words in vowels. Also, if it's true, it could help us identify the vowel sounds, though, again, doesn't help with translation, just having an idea what it sounds like.
I suspect that while the OTA almost certainly has invented a language for them, he hasn't gone so far as to incorporate parts of the language that do not translate (sic) well in this medium. Since there is no audio in the comic (so far), I suspect he has put his efforts in other parts of the language.

Now when Molpy Goldwin Mayor gives him a movie contract, that may change.

Jose

I kind of doubt that he would just invent a language on paper. I feel like if I were to invent a language the first thing I would do would try to sound it out, and I'd be keenly interested in how the alphabet sounds. As I invented a new word I would probably sound it out first, then look at my alphabet and write it out. That seems to me to be the easiest way to invent a language...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

GUYS. There are dinosaurs WEARING HATS in Vogue UK.
I wonder who their haberdasher is??? :shock:
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

irino

Postby irino » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

Charm Quark wrote:
ucim wrote:
Charm Quark wrote:Hmmm...I couldn't find any information on the average length of posts, unfortunately (although admittedly I wasn't as thorough as I could have been :oops: ).
When there were 668 pages in the thread, I did this analysis, if you can call it that. Two million divided by forty posts per page and divided by 668 pages yields an average post length of 75 (original) words. Not every post counts as religious text though, there is a lot of apocrapha in the thread too. We'd need a diet of molpies to sort it all out.

Oooh, interesting. I do think you could argue that the OTT is the longest piece of religious literature (in that the OTT as a whole is central to our "religion") ever created, though.

GLR is trying to get tax exemption for the xkcd store. And it's working.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

Am I correct in my observation that the only people in XKCD with names got those names from outside XKCD? (Summer Glau & Cory Doctorow for example)

If I'm correct, then it's possible the Beanies have no names at all; also, neither would Cueball or Megan. And possibly no concept of not having names, either.

Kinda makes that "Me Tarzan, you Jane" thing difficult....
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Am I correct in my observation that the only people in XKCD with names got those names from outside XKCD? (Summer Glau & Cory Doctorow for example)

If I'm correct, then it's possible the Beanies have no names at all; also, neither would Cueball or Megan. And possibly no concept of not having names, either.

No, Megan has come up a lot in the comic. See for example Nachos.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:No, Megan has come up a lot in the comic. See for example Nachos.

Well, so much for that. Thanks for the correction.
However, it does seem to me that names are a bit rare...

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:Am I correct in my observation that the only people in XKCD with names got those names from outside XKCD? (Summer Glau & Cory Doctorow for example)

No, Megan has come up a lot in the comic. See for example Nachos.

Also, Cueball's name is Rob.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”