1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

Hi, lmjb1964! Image Bye, lmjb1964!

Angelastic wrote:On the subject of misreading Eternal Density, how many of you have been misreading my username as Angeltastic all this time?

I haven't had that problem - my brain seems to pick out the "elastic" in your username.

lgw wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Unless the beanies are molpies in disguise.
Spoiler:
Image Image Image

Best laugh I've had all week, thanks! :lol:

You're quite welcome! :mrgreen:

Angelastic wrote:ETA: If molpies in disguise go from one forum to another, are they transfora molpies in disguise?

Image Yes! Look out for the raptorcats:
Spoiler:
ETA:
No decree, continue otting as usual.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:On the subject of misreading Eternal Density, how many of you have been misreading my username as Angeltastic all this time?

I've been reading it as Anglestatic, I think. But then I decided to read it properly so you're lucky, you're not being misread by me already for some time.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:

So it's not Analgesic? :shock:

Essential for Eternal Dentistry. :)

The raptorcat in disguise was pretty neat. :D
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Tom17

Postby Tom17 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

Everyone else gONG ahead.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

Charm Quark wrote:

Not I. I never mispronounced either. Does that mean I get a cupcake?

*waits with hand stretched out*
*looks around*

Oh, right:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

Now that Megan, Cueball and the Beanie Bunch are travelling together, perhaps we should come up with another collective term.

Meanieball? Meg-b-cue?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Now that Megan, Cueball and the Beanie Bunch are travelling together, perhaps we should come up with another collective term.

Meanieball? Meg-b-cue?

:shock: Meg-B-Cue just sounds like something you'd want to eat. :shock:

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

Cuebeagan.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

Cuebeagan's a good one. :)

Valarya wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Now that Megan, Cueball and the Beanie Bunch are travelling together, perhaps we should come up with another collective term.

Meanieball? Meg-b-cue?

:shock: Meg-B-Cue just sounds like something you'd want to eat. :shock:

Lucky would go for that. Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BlueCrab

Re: Time

Postby BlueCrab » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

Continuing the blini buffet
Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:LeadONG Megan to a rock to sit on, perhaps?
Spoiler:
It's an altar.

It's the Sorcerer's Stone, they're going to heal Megan's leg by giving her a new life! :lol:

foilman wrote:I'm sticking to my underground lair theory. This is the way in.
Like in the Star Trek (Original Series) episode ‘Shore Leave’?
Reference clarification, spoilered for the 10,000
Spoiler:
The Caretaker appears from under a similar rock, if I recall correctly - possibly not, as I was an infant when it first aired and 3-4 years old during the first syndicated run. :P

higgs-boson wrote:NosyONG

Prediction: I predict you grinning. :D
You missed ‘peering intently at the screen’, then ‘staring with your mouths hanging open,’ followed by ‘narrowing your eyes suspiciously!’

SinusPi wrote:
HES wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Hahahaha. I officially have brought a friend with me to the OTT. :D And he joined during my 5th imperial reign!

Well, this solves the long standing mystery of whether any OTTers know each other on the outside.
But that's like proving there's a bad apple in the bunch by putting one in...
:lol: I'm going to give my mom such a hard time about this! When she visited last mip I had dastardly plans to get her started reading the thread so she'd get addicted too, but she brought someone's manuscript to edit and didn't have Time to get hooked. :? I'll bring it up again at the end of August, after the two balloon festivals (she's part of a crew) but before the trip to California and next opera really getting going (she's stage crew, not in the cast.) If that's what a typical retired person's schedule looks like, I'm going to take it easy while I can. :P

fhorn wrote: :shock:
It looks to me as if the Beanie in the rear has a collar sticking up, like he's wearing a down vest (sleeveless jacket, not undershirt.) Boxes or something laying around, including one of the small (structures?) we thought might be a well or a chimney, a couple of retaining walls, a pallet leaning against the survey tower in the foreground (which possibly has an open book on the platform?) What's the curved thing at the bottom of the retaining wall on the right? Calipers jammed into the ground? A bit of a dome behind the hill? A diamond ring in a hidden-picture puzzle?
Good to see Megan's bandage is white, has anybody with pixel-eyes seen any color change there?
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:This place is driving me bats. Image

I think it's more that we're all bats/crazy/mad/insane already, and the thread just brings it out.

Unless you were referring to the molpyraptor, in which case I'd better find that wooden stake.

@Blitzgirl: possibly the cutest spoiler ever.

SinusPi wrote:

So it's not Analgesic? :shock:

This had me FOCL,ROFL (Falling off chair laughing, then rolling on floor laughing)
He/Him/His Image

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:
Valarya wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:<big snip>

I enjoyed reading your post b2bomber, but I have to comment on the piece quoted above. Yes, we have created a culture-community here.. but I think it's even more fascinating because the majority of the posters have different cultures outside of the thread and bringing them all together only adds to the individuality and overall awesomeness.

TL;DR :twisted:

Ok, help me out here, did I just get complimented? Or something else?

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

Nope... yours I always got right. I don't even see why I would see a 't' there.

However, when presented with Analgesic as a possibility, I did not see the word for painkiller. I actually don't remember what non-word I saw, but it began with "Angel...".

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

Spoiler:
This last paragraph is more purely speculative than the rest of this post, but I suspect that many of the members of this community, at least those who spend a lot of time here, participating in all aspects of the culture, might not have strong cultural roots outside of here. This is based partly on the types of person I suspect are attracted to xkcd, and partly on what drives someone to spend significant amounts of time here. Again, I mean no offense, nor do I mean to over-generalize. Instead, the point I am trying to get around to, is that one of the more beautiful aspects of XKCD and this comic in particular, to me, is that it HAS (whether Randall explicitly intended this or not) created both a community and a culture, that provides a place for people to belong, to enjoy and to PARTICIPATE in the evolution of the culture.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that there weren't a lot of different cultural backgrounds represented here, and I agree totally that it adds to the wonder of a place like this, that so many different people can exist in relative harmony. I will try to explain further, not in any attempt to counter any of your points, all of which are well taken and I agree with, but because I enjoy expressing my thoughts on these matters. I think XKCD has always had a strong appeal to the type of people that might be classified as nerds/geeks. No, not everyone reading is a geek, and certainly not all geeks meet the normal stereotypes, but much of the comedy on the XKCD strip requires knowledge of math, physics, computer science etc. And certainly, much of our discussions on here are of a "geeky" nature. We exult in using small shifts in star patterns and planetary placements to work out a suggested time for the comic strip, we "discuss" whether a slightly changed curlicue on a letter in a strange language places it among category A or category B. We gleefully argue about whether an object looks more like a telescope or a theodolite, etc. For quite a while, a strong geek/nerd subculture has existed in modern society as a whole. I'm not even sure that "subculture" is the right phrase, since it implies, to me at least, a sub-group existing within a culture. In this case, at least since the internet exploded in popularity, "trans-subculture" might be a better description, since it is really a subculture that exists in many cultures, and connects across them. This is, in essence, what you were celebrating in your post, not specifically referring to nerds/geeks, but in a more general sense, that the culture here pulls people from many different cultures together into one place. And, it isn't quite the same melting pot effect as, say here in the USA, where our culture has been formed strongly by the influence of other cultures, mostly through the effects of immigration. The culture here on this thread doesn't seem to me to pull strongly from other cultures, but rather seems to be composed of many cultural viewpoints, but is really it's own thing entirely, growing from nothing and with the strongest influences (again, in my opinion only) being from the geek/nerd trans-subculture, rather than from any of the individual cultures of the members.

All of this is a long-winded way to get around to the point. Subcultures often form when groups of people feel somewhat separated from the their own cultures for whatever reason. The "mad scientist" didn't become the "cool nerd" until computer science became such an important and necessary part of modern society. Nowadays, a geek is just as likely to be a weightlifting, athletic jock, or MMA fighter as anything else (well, maybe not JUST as likely, but still not uncommon), but it wasn't long ago that there was more of a stigma associated with it, and jocks vs. nerds movies seem to still be quite popular. I think I've rambled a bit here, but I'm finally getting to the conclusion. This thread provides a place of enjoyment for many, but for some it also provides a strong sense of belonging. I believe (acknowledging that this is without any attempt at formal proof) that there is a correlation between the amount of time spent on this thread, and the level to which the thread provides a sense of belonging and not just a place of enjoyment. Commensurate with this, is that a need for a sense of belonging here may reflect a reduced sense of belonging elsewhere. Let me emphasize that this is one of the things that I think is beautiful about what has been created and continues to be created here. A place for people to go, and feel like they belong and that other people appreciate them, who might not get that elsewhere as much as they want. It's "Cheers" for a whole group of people who have likely been following XKCD for a long time. If you do, in fact, spend 4 or 6 or 8 hours a day on here AND have a full time job AND have significant other activities with other cultural groups, then you definitely need less sleep than I do and I am equally happy that this place provides a community and culture for you as well.

I have spoilered most of your reply as it would only repeat, but left it in as it would provide context to blitzers.

I think I have been around a number of internetfora/BBS/usenet/chatrooms/IRC enough to make a few comments here.

What this thread provides most is entertainment and vast amount of background knowledge that you would not get when trying to puzzle out the OTC on your own. I have said it before: by itself the OTC is fairly dull, when compared with a Stephen King novel. (Yeah, I know, different kind of It). If you follow the OTT, though, you'll see that it adds a number of things:

- sequence

Spoiler:
Miss a picture in the OTC, or several, for example when you have to sleep, you simply can't follow the progress. For example, the meteor sequence I did not see live, but could follow it on the OTT. I would have been blissfully ignorant of its existence. Knowing it was there, though, kicks the appreciation of the OTC up a nodge.

- detail

Spoiler:
The various viewer sites do provide the sequence mentioned above as well, but it is bare-bone. It is a dry summary. It allows you to see progress, but you miss out on details. Every odd pixel is discussed in the OTT at some point, whether 'mustard' or 'molpy'. I certainly would have missed some molpies without the OTT. Partly due to how my mind works, it tries to see the Big Picture, which means that details are only secondary.

- depth

Spoiler:
Because of the attention to detail, various objects featured as background imagery such as the wow-tree, are discussed at length as well. I am not a nature person. I wouldn't know a baobab from an oak tree (or number four, the Larch). I have no clue about stars and constellations other than common knowledge like the big dipper. Or I may know it, but would not be able to retrieve it. And of course you would be able to find some of the stuff provided here on the OTT on Wikipedia or by googling, but never presented as in the OTT. Usually because the people who contribute care about what they contribute.

- quality

Spoiler:
The quality of contributions, whether it is speculation on what comes next or an artist impression or an ottification of something is exceptionally high. If you would grade the various contributions on a 1-10 scale, with 10 being highest than you would get an exceptionally right-leaning distribution. Even the amount of typos is fairly low, and we have not seen an influx of trolls nor 133t-zp3eak.

- atmosphere

Spoiler:
The atmosphere in the OTT is, with a few notable exceptions, primarily positive. This might be because it is tied to the OTC which progresses, therefore always providing fresh food for thought, or because there is very little to fight about ("O yeah? I think Megan is a bitch and Cueball should take one of the beanies and have his wicked way if he remembers how! Ha!" - even such a statement would either be overtaken by events, or just ignored in the number of replies that would actually stay on topic. So it gets discussed, or ignored, the OTC/OTT goes on.)

- humor

Spoiler:
Lots of things in the OTT are humorous, or intended as such. So, there is very little curmudgeoning going on. Even the self-proclaimed ones are fairly mild.

If you add these ingredients together, what you get is intelligent entertainment (yeah, sure, we had some NFSWs, we had some boobies/penis/whatevers). Which is rare, these days. My personal feeling about the OTT is a bunch of people watching the same 'thing' (OTC) together and commenting on it through-out. Which would be vastly irritating if the OTC was paced faster than it is. And the people attracted to intelligent entertainment are those geeks/nerds or simply those with broader interests than most, because they would always find something here that would feed their internal appetite for something. This in turn attracts others who are similarly inclined. What also is important is that people seem to respect (or ignore) eachother's opinion here, so that intrinsically raises the flame threshold. Again, partly due to the fact that there is always something outside of the OTT progressing: the OTC.

For some, the OTT is fascinating for a while and something else will be more interesting in the future. Others will make the OTT a more permanent part of their life for a while. Yet others might find the OTT far more intellectually stimulating than other entertainment options around them, and therefore will be part of the more active 'inner circle'. Although I cannot back it up with statistics, even the regulars do not only respond only to other regulars which means that we have an equal opportunity playground here.

For me personally, the OTT and the OTC are fun because they tickle my creative bone (or grey matter). I do notice that some of my personal contributions seem to go unnoticed, but sometimes discover that some of my one-liners do get read regardless. To some that may experience the same thing that may discourage active participation. That's why it is nice to have blitzers, they provide sometimes the necessary reflection (remember when you said... it was very good to see... etc.) that those who do OTC and OTT in tandem do not have the time (ha!) for.

Ok, this is getting seaish (one of my earlier contributions as OTT-jargon early on in the thread) and therefore I leave you with this as food for thought.

Ronald
Last edited by rvloon on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:07 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Tom17

Postby Tom17 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

T'was Lovely; Delectable Ramblings!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

GNO
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Image Image Image

And the survey towers are grapevines in disguise?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HES

Present Present

Postby HES » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

So I finally got round to doing something I said I'd do well before the raptorcat attack:
Portal 2 Present Present (EDIT: Teething problems)
Spoiler:
If you don't own Portal 2, it's currently 50% off in the steam summer sale, but a guarantee it will be 75% off at some point during the sale. I'll make some noise when it is, and maybe even add part 2 to celebrate.
Last edited by HES on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:29 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Re: Present Present

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

I'm sure this is ⁷, ³!
But I wouldn't know where to find the time to play computer games. So I'm gonna protect myself from the temptation and skip this one. Sorry... Image
(But if you, or someone, could post some (spoilered) game play video, that would be ⁴!)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

I haven't had that problem - my brain seems to pick out the "elastic" in your username.

I hadn't noticed that before. Now I can't unsee it :?

Meanieball? Meg-b-cue?

I vote Beanegball.
Spoiler:

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
Image Image Image

And the survey towers are grapevines in disguise?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

It all makes sense! Image

Also to add: Everything rvloon said sums up really well why I find the OTT such a brilliant place too!

Redundant:
Spoiler:
redundakitty7.jpg
redundakitty7.jpg (48.73 KiB) Viewed 11030 times

beaneggball.jpg
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

I'm sure this is ⁷, ³!
But I wouldn't know where to find the time to play computer games. So I'm gonna protect myself from the temptation and skip this one. Sorry... Image
(But if you, or someone, could post some (spoilered) game play video, that would be ⁴!)

I'll try to record when I play through it! I'm EXCITED! Thanks, HES. :mrgreen:

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I vote Beanegball.
Spoiler:

Hey! That's my password!

Jose
Three shalt be the number thou shalt count...
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

Tom17 wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

Thanks!!!! I confess, that possibility was pretty far down my list of guesses.

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Hey! That's my password!

Funny you should mention "easy" passwords. I had just a few days ago changed some of my passwords to the likes of "Meet Claire at 10:30". Good luck guessing that the yellow Post-It note on my monitor is not a reminder of a meeting, but actually a password...

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time" TdF Update

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

Stage 13

A long flat run today. The rolling terrain makes for very fast riding. Normally that can be pretty boring with a few riders in front and the bunch holding together several minutes behind. Today, however was different. A very exciting day. Cavendish wins in a sprint followed by Sagan, then Mollema of Belkin. Sagan still has a 79 point lead in the Green Jersey competition. However, the yellow jersey competition was shaken up a bit, though Froome stays in yellow with a smaller margin.
Spoiler:
Greipel didn't crash yesterday, but was delayed by the crash. Evald Boasson Hagen (SKY) of Norway, on the other hand fractured his collarbone and has not started today. 181 riders still in the race.

Sagan, as I mentioned yesterday was fouled in the intermediate sprint then. Kris Boeckmans (VCD) was relegated to the last place in his group after straying from his line yesterday. You can't cross in front of another rider in a sprint (dangerous in the extreme) and are given last place in your group when the judges catch it. Unfortunately it doesn't help Sagan in this case. Boeckmans forced Sagan almost into the barriers at the side of the road in the last moments of the sprint. Had Sagan fallen, Boeckmans might have been eliminated from the tour.

SKY is down to 7 riders, which makes it harder to be dominant in support of Froome, though they haven't dominated the race much yet. When Armstrong was at his peak (pre scandal) and even in his last, declining, races he personally controlled the race like a pope/emperor, saying who would be allowed to go ahead and how far. A very different sort of situation. None of the current riders have such a position any more. Such a thing was good for domestiques, since Armstrong (or any dominant leader) could decree that some lesser rider could get a stage win, so long as it didn't affect GC standings. If you take a long view, it is a good way to do rider development.

Six riders went ahead at the start. The best on gc was 25 minutes behind Froome overall. Quite a lot, but on occasion that much has been made up in a day, but that requires something unusual and hills. They were swallowed up after about 75km of racing, but the peleton also split due to the speed of the chase with 18 or so riders left behind. All the important riders in the front group. But then Valverde, the leader of Movistar had a flat, and in trying to bring him back to the front peleton, they were lost by the peleton and caught by the second group. Very bad for them. The speed at that point was dominated by the rush to the intermediate sprint (1,2,3 = Greipel, Cavendish, Sagan). Sagan loses a few points, but is still dominant in Green.

Team strategies came to the fore today, along with bad luck. A bunch of things happened almost at the same time. Omega Pharma-Quickstep with help from Belkin picked up the pace a lot just before the intermediate to catch the escapees. Omega for its leader Cavendish and Belkin for Bauke Mollema and Laurens Ten Dam two of its riders in the top ten. The pace split the peleton in two with Kittel (yesterday's winner) left in the second bunch. Just about then Valverde had his flat and his team dropped back to help. Normally it is an easy thing to catch the bunch, but they weren't inclined to wait for him, though they often do. Valverde was in second overall yesterday. Valverde finished back almost ten minutes and is now down to 16th place. A bit later Saxo-Tinkoff (Contador's team) surged ahead and carried about 14 riders with them altogether including most of the sprinters and Contador, but not Froome or Greipel who finished the day 1'9" back in a large group. The sprint ended as noted above, but Contador moves up to third at 2'45" behind Froome. Mollema is in second at 2'28". Movistar gave up the team competition lead to Saxo-Tinkoff and has only Quintana Rojas in the top ten, everyone else on the team losing time. The top eleven riders are spread over about six minutes. Froome's lack of strong team support cost him time today, but not the jersey. All 181 finished the race, the last rider in at 13'36". Cavendish got the agressive rider award for the day.

Expecting a sprint at the end of the day, several riders rode in skinsuits today. Note that rolling terrain if actually faster on a bike than truly flat ground on which you need to work for every bit of ground. They rode the day at about 45k/h.

Tomorrow a 191km stage that takes them to Lyon. Race starts about 12:30 (continental). There are seven categorized climbs, none extreme, but certainly not a day for sprinters, though it has a valley finish. The climbers get to warm up their legs. I will miss the race tomorrow and Sunday, but might be able to post summaries later.

Sunday they begin at 10:45 (continental), ride 242.5km with five categorized climbs ending in a hors categorie climb (Mont Ventoux). Two good days for the gc riders and the climbers. Lots of points for the King of the Mountains (polka dots).
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Tom17

Postby Tom17 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
Tom17 wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

Thanks!!!! I confess, that possibility was pretty far down my list of guesses.

Oops, maybe I should have clarified that I was pulling yer leg.

It's "Too Long; Didn't Read" :(

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Spoiler:
So I finally got round to doing something I said I'd do well before the raptorcat attack:
Portal 2 Present Present (EDIT: Teething problems)
Spoiler:

Wow! Neat. Thanks! Image Should it be working now or not yet? I managed to add it to the game but it failed on downloading.
Edit: Nevermind. I restarted the game and it's working now.
Last edited by NoMouse on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:
Spoiler:
This last paragraph is more purely speculative than the rest of this post, but I suspect that many of the members of this community, at least those who spend a lot of time here, participating in all aspects of the culture, might not have strong cultural roots outside of here. This is based partly on the types of person I suspect are attracted to xkcd, and partly on what drives someone to spend significant amounts of time here. Again, I mean no offense, nor do I mean to over-generalize. Instead, the point I am trying to get around to, is that one of the more beautiful aspects of XKCD and this comic in particular, to me, is that it HAS (whether Randall explicitly intended this or not) created both a community and a culture, that provides a place for people to belong, to enjoy and to PARTICIPATE in the evolution of the culture.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that there weren't a lot of different cultural backgrounds represented here, and I agree totally that it adds to the wonder of a place like this, that so many different people can exist in relative harmony. I will try to explain further, not in any attempt to counter any of your points, all of which are well taken and I agree with, but because I enjoy expressing my thoughts on these matters. I think XKCD has always had a strong appeal to the type of people that might be classified as nerds/geeks. No, not everyone reading is a geek, and certainly not all geeks meet the normal stereotypes, but much of the comedy on the XKCD strip requires knowledge of math, physics, computer science etc. And certainly, much of our discussions on here are of a "geeky" nature. We exult in using small shifts in star patterns and planetary placements to work out a suggested time for the comic strip, we "discuss" whether a slightly changed curlicue on a letter in a strange language places it among category A or category B. We gleefully argue about whether an object looks more like a telescope or a theodolite, etc. For quite a while, a strong geek/nerd subculture has existed in modern society as a whole. I'm not even sure that "subculture" is the right phrase, since it implies, to me at least, a sub-group existing within a culture. In this case, at least since the internet exploded in popularity, "trans-subculture" might be a better description, since it is really a subculture that exists in many cultures, and connects across them. This is, in essence, what you were celebrating in your post, not specifically referring to nerds/geeks, but in a more general sense, that the culture here pulls people from many different cultures together into one place. And, it isn't quite the same melting pot effect as, say here in the USA, where our culture has been formed strongly by the influence of other cultures, mostly through the effects of immigration. The culture here on this thread doesn't seem to me to pull strongly from other cultures, but rather seems to be composed of many cultural viewpoints, but is really it's own thing entirely, growing from nothing and with the strongest influences (again, in my opinion only) being from the geek/nerd trans-subculture, rather than from any of the individual cultures of the members.

All of this is a long-winded way to get around to the point. Subcultures often form when groups of people feel somewhat separated from the their own cultures for whatever reason. The "mad scientist" didn't become the "cool nerd" until computer science became such an important and necessary part of modern society. Nowadays, a geek is just as likely to be a weightlifting, athletic jock, or MMA fighter as anything else (well, maybe not JUST as likely, but still not uncommon), but it wasn't long ago that there was more of a stigma associated with it, and jocks vs. nerds movies seem to still be quite popular. I think I've rambled a bit here, but I'm finally getting to the conclusion. This thread provides a place of enjoyment for many, but for some it also provides a strong sense of belonging. I believe (acknowledging that this is without any attempt at formal proof) that there is a correlation between the amount of time spent on this thread, and the level to which the thread provides a sense of belonging and not just a place of enjoyment. Commensurate with this, is that a need for a sense of belonging here may reflect a reduced sense of belonging elsewhere. Let me emphasize that this is one of the things that I think is beautiful about what has been created and continues to be created here. A place for people to go, and feel like they belong and that other people appreciate them, who might not get that elsewhere as much as they want. It's "Cheers" for a whole group of people who have likely been following XKCD for a long time. If you do, in fact, spend 4 or 6 or 8 hours a day on here AND have a full time job AND have significant other activities with other cultural groups, then you definitely need less sleep than I do and I am equally happy that this place provides a community and culture for you as well.

Spoiler:
I have spoilered most of your reply as it would only repeat, but left it in as it would provide context to blitzers.

I think I have been around a number of internetfora/BBS/usenet/chatrooms/IRC enough to make a few comments here.

What this thread provides most is entertainment and vast amount of background knowledge that you would not get when trying to puzzle out the OTC on your own. I have said it before: by itself the OTC is fairly dull, when compared with a Stephen King novel. (Yeah, I know, different kind of It). If you follow the OTT, though, you'll see that it adds a number of things:

- sequence

[spoiler]Miss a picture in the OTC, or several, for example when you have to sleep, you simply can't follow the progress. For example, the meteor sequence I did not see live, but could follow it on the OTT. I would have been blissfully ignorant of its existence. Knowing it was there, though, kicks the appreciation of the OTC up a nodge.

- detail

Spoiler:
The various viewer sites do provide the sequence mentioned above as well, but it is bare-bone. It is a dry summary. It allows you to see progress, but you miss out on details. Every odd pixel is discussed in the OTT at some point, whether 'mustard' or 'molpy'. I certainly would have missed some molpies without the OTT. Partly due to how my mind works, it tries to see the Big Picture, which means that details are only secondary.

- depth

Spoiler:
Because of the attention to detail, various objects featured as background imagery such as the wow-tree, are discussed at length as well. I am not a nature person. I wouldn't know a baobab from an oak tree (or number four, the Larch). I have no clue about stars and constellations other than common knowledge like the big dipper. Or I may know it, but would not be able to retrieve it. And of course you would be able to find some of the stuff provided here on the OTT on Wikipedia or by googling, but never presented as in the OTT. Usually because the people who contribute care about what they contribute.

- quality

Spoiler:
The quality of contributions, whether it is speculation on what comes next or an artist impression or an ottification of something is exceptionally high. If you would grade the various contributions on a 1-10 scale, with 10 being highest than you would get an exceptionally right-leaning distribution. Even the amount of typos is fairly low, and we have not seen an influx of trolls nor 133t-zp3eak.

- atmosphere

Spoiler:
The atmosphere in the OTT is, with a few notable exceptions, primarily positive. This might be because it is tied to the OTC which progresses, therefore always providing fresh food for thought, or because there is very little to fight about ("O yeah? I think Megan is a bitch and Cueball should take one of the beanies and have his wicked way if he remembers how! Ha!" - even such a statement would either be overtaken by events, or just ignored in the number of replies that would actually stay on topic. So it gets discussed, or ignored, the OTC/OTT goes on.)

- humor

Spoiler:
Lots of things in the OTT are humorous, or intended as such. So, there is very little curmudgeoning going on. Even the self-proclaimed ones are fairly mild.

If you add these ingredients together, what you get is intelligent entertainment (yeah, sure, we had some NFSWs, we had some boobies/penis/whatevers). Which is rare, these days. My personal feeling about the OTT is a bunch of people watching the same 'thing' (OTC) together and commenting on it through-out. Which would be vastly irritating if the OTC was paced faster than it is. And the people attracted to intelligent entertainment are those geeks/nerds or simply those with broader interests than most, because they would always find something here that would feed their internal appetite for something. This in turn attracts others who are similarly inclined. What also is important is that people seem to respect (or ignore) eachother's opinion here, so that intrinsically raises the flame threshold. Again, partly due to the fact that there is always something outside of the OTT progressing: the OTC.

For some, the OTT is fascinating for a while and something else will be more interesting in the future. Others will make the OTT a more permanent part of their life for a while. Yet others might find the OTT far more intellectually stimulating than other entertainment options around them, and therefore will be part of the more active 'inner circle'. Although I cannot back it up with statistics, even the regulars do not only respond only to other regulars which means that we have an equal opportunity playground here.

For me personally, the OTT and the OTC are fun because they tickle my creative bone (or grey matter). I do notice that some of my personal contributions seem to go unnoticed, but sometimes discover that some of my one-liners do get read regardless. To some that may experience the same thing that may discourage active participation. That's why it is nice to have blitzers, they provide sometimes the necessary reflection (remember when you said... it was very good to see... etc.) that those who do OTC and OTT in tandem do not have the time (ha!) for.
[/spoiler]
Ok, this is getting seaish (one of my earlier contributions as OTT-jargon early on in the thread) and therefore I leave you with this as food for thought.

Ronald

Ronald, I have to go out for my regular Friday night activity, but thanks for the long, thoughtful response. In addition to all of what you mentioned, which mostly relate to the OTC and it's presence in the OTT, I think there's an entire component to the entertainment and value that has come into being as the OTT has progressed: kittens and cakes and hats, celebrations of post counts, popes, avatars, poetry, news from the past, news from the future (???), and friendship, camaraderie and more.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

Tom17 wrote:Oops, maybe I should have clarified that I was pulling yer leg.

It's "Too Long; Didn't Read" :(

Oh. Well, I don't like that second one nearly as much anyway, I think I'll just stick with the first. And my apologies for the post just before this, I tried to put everything into one big spoiler, so it wouldn't...spread as much as it did, and it was pretty much an epic fail.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

I look forward to someone else showing us what this is (Since I don't have Portal 2... well I have it on xbox but not PC so can't play these custom things :( )

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:It is a place to spend somewhere between fifteen minutes to an hour or two, rather than watching tv or playing other computer games - for me the time is spread out throughout the day so it is hard to measure how much I spend or exactly what it replaces.

I wish I could read that fast. Sigh. Fifteen minutes a day wouldn't get me through a page. :(
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

Hey guys I had one crazy idea while trying to sleep last night.

What we need is voice overs for the OTC. Just need one guy and one girl to donate their voice. Finding people with the right accent may narrow down our options though. Get them to record themselves saying all the lines in the OTC for Megan or Cueball. Then someone with a bit of skill in Audacity can take the recordings and cut them into small sound files labeled with the newpix they are for. The output would just be a compressed folder of these audio files with one per frame that has audio. We would also have to do some sound effects like chirps, snarls, yawns etc. The beanish talking frames may be a little work and need up to 3 voice actors.

An interesting side note to this is that the spoken form of beanish may never be knowable. Since the medium of the OTC has no way of conveying sound we can find meanings in their language but the sound is near impossible. We may be able to guess and vowels etc but if he hasn't based it on a real world language, which seems likely from our research. It may be possible even he has not assigned set sounds to each character. So in theory we could assign an almost random sound to each character of beanish and who is to say it is not correct.

So if we were to voice the beanish language we would probably have to randomly assign sounds with a few manual tweaks for vowel guesses. See if the output can be articulated easily and sounds like nothing we can understand (which is the aim). If it doesn't work then change around the sounds a bit till it can be spoken and sounds about right and record it. The other option is to just do it charlie brown style or something.

At the end we have all the audio files named with newpix numbers. At first a site like mscha's viewer could embed the audio files in to play when viewing them. An animated gif (with frame timing input from a dump of the audio file lengths) could be overlayed with the audio files to make a youtube video. And maybe something like geekwagon or a similar new site could be set up to play the files.

Anyway Just a crazy idea.

Carry on.

ETA: As an extra project at the end we could also create an original score for the output to overlay and set mood etc. Maybe bringing in snatches of favorite ottifications at times. Imagine it playing a soft background version of "molpy molpy molpy molpy" just before it got to the grapevine scenes... And also at the snake scene. Note to do this all the timings of the all the other frames would have to be worked out first so you can lay in the timing of the whole musical soundtrack at the end.
Last edited by Latent22 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
ttscp wrote:It is a place to spend somewhere between fifteen minutes to an hour or two, rather than watching tv or playing other computer games - for me the time is spread out throughout the day so it is hard to measure how much I spend or exactly what it replaces.

I wish I could read that fast. Sigh. Fifteen minutes a day wouldn't get me through a page. :(

I dread to think what my total time spent here is, especially if you include time working on related projects
He/Him/His Image

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

walkONG
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

4 idea, Latent22! I volunteer to be in charge of soundscapes...

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

For those Portal2-deprived (deuxportalled?), explaining. It's a simple 3-room puzzle, with only a "wait for it..." message linking this with OTT. I expected something more timey, actually - a horizontal ride across some mountainy landscape, a keyboardturret attack, a sea1... Come on, you can do better than a simple 3-room backpacking puzzle ;P

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Stage 13

A long flat run today. The rolling terrain makes for very fast riding. Normally that can be pretty boring with a few riders in front and the bunch holding together several minutes behind. Today, however was different. A very exciting day. Cavendish wins in a sprint followed by Sagan, then Mollema of Belkin. Sagan still has a 79 point lead in the Green Jersey competition. However, the yellow jersey competition was shaken up a bit, though Froome stays in yellow with a smaller margin.
Spoiler:
Greipel didn't crash yesterday, but was delayed by the crash. Evald Boasson Hagen (SKY) of Norway, on the other hand fractured his collarbone and has not started today. 181 riders still in the race.

Sagan, as I mentioned yesterday was fouled in the intermediate sprint then. Kris Boeckmans (VCD) was relegated to the last place in his group after straying from his line yesterday. You can't cross in front of another rider in a sprint (dangerous in the extreme) and are given last place in your group when the judges catch it. Unfortunately it doesn't help Sagan in this case. Boeckmans forced Sagan almost into the barriers at the side of the road in the last moments of the sprint. Had Sagan fallen, Boeckmans might have been eliminated from the tour.

SKY is down to 7 riders, which makes it harder to be dominant in support of Froome, though they haven't dominated the race much yet. When Armstrong was at his peak (pre scandal) and even in his last, declining, races he personally controlled the race like a pope/emperor, saying who would be allowed to go ahead and how far. A very different sort of situation. None of the current riders have such a position any more. Such a thing was good for domestiques, since Armstrong (or any dominant leader) could decree that some lesser rider could get a stage win, so long as it didn't affect GC standings. If you take a long view, it is a good way to do rider development.

Six riders went ahead at the start. The best on gc was 25 minutes behind Froome overall. Quite a lot, but on occasion that much has been made up in a day, but that requires something unusual and hills. They were swallowed up after about 75km of racing, but the peleton also split due to the speed of the chase with 18 or so riders left behind. All the important riders in the front group. But then Valverde, the leader of Movistar had a flat, and in trying to bring him back to the front peleton, they were lost by the peleton and caught by the second group. Very bad for them. The speed at that point was dominated by the rush to the intermediate sprint (1,2,3 = Greipel, Cavendish, Sagan). Sagan loses a few points, but is still dominant in Green.

Team strategies came to the fore today, along with bad luck. A bunch of things happened almost at the same time. Omega Pharma-Quickstep with help from Belkin picked up the pace a lot just before the intermediate to catch the escapees. Omega for its leader Cavendish and Belkin for Bauke Mollema and Laurens Ten Dam two of its riders in the top ten. The pace split the peleton in two with Kittel (yesterday's winner) left in the second bunch. Just about then Valverde had his flat and his team dropped back to help. Normally it is an easy thing to catch the bunch, but they weren't inclined to wait for him, though they often do. Valverde was in second overall yesterday. Valverde finished back almost ten minutes and is now down to 16th place. A bit later Saxo-Tinkoff (Contador's team) surged ahead and carried about 14 riders with them altogether including most of the sprinters and Contador, but not Froome or Greipel who finished the day 1'9" back in a large group. The sprint ended as noted above, but Contador moves up to third at 2'45" behind Froome. Mollema is in second at 2'28". Movistar gave up the team competition lead to Saxo-Tinkoff and has only Quintana Rojas in the top ten, everyone else on the team losing time. The top eleven riders are spread over about six minutes. Froome's lack of strong team support cost him time today, but not the jersey. All 181 finished the race, the last rider in at 13'36". Cavendish got the agressive rider award for the day.

Expecting a sprint at the end of the day, several riders rode in skinsuits today. Note that rolling terrain if actually faster on a bike than truly flat ground on which you need to work for every bit of ground. They rode the day at about 45k/h.

Tomorrow a 191km stage that takes them to Lyon. Race starts about 12:30 (continental). There are seven categorized climbs, none extreme, but certainly not a day for sprinters, though it has a valley finish. The climbers get to warm up their legs. I will miss the race tomorrow and Sunday, but might be able to post summaries later.

Sunday they begin at 10:45 (continental), ride 242.5km with five categorized climbs ending in a hors categorie climb (Mont Ventoux). Two good days for the gc riders and the climbers. Lots of points for the King of the Mountains (polka dots).

Wait, what? Does this relate in some way that I skipped over? I can make neither heads nor tails of how it's even vaguely on-topic.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:

For those Portal2-deprived (deuxportalled?), explaining. It's a simple 3-room puzzle, with only a "wait for it..." message linking this with OTT. I expected something more timey, actually - a horizontal ride across some mountainy landscape, a keyboardturret attack, a sea1... Come on, you can do better than a simple 3-room backpacking puzzle ;P

I think this is only Part 1 - it says 'Introduction'. You have to
Spoiler:
wait for it

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:For those Portal2-deprived (deuxportalled?), explaining. It's a simple 3-room puzzle, with only a "wait for it..." message linking this with OTT. I expected something more timey, actually - a horizontal ride across some mountainy landscape, a keyboardturret attack, a sea1... Come on, you can do better than a simple 3-room backpacking puzzle ;P

Yes, I can. This map was mostly a chance for me to make sure I can publish properly - I have lots of 'timey' ideas, they just take time. Better things will follow (This map = two people sitting on a beach. What will happen next?).
He/Him/His Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Stage 13

Spoiler:

Wait, what? Does this relate in some way that I skipped over? I can make neither heads nor tails of how it's even vaguely on-topic.

Charlie_grumbles has been giving us daily updates on the Tour de France. That's how it's on-topic. :wink:
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”