1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

NetWeasel

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:55 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:One of these dips Megan is going to pop out a little baconcancerbaby and prove that she was having sex all along...]

...AAAAnd with that, we're back to page 12.

ETA: For this I get Poped??? OK, More language discussion!
Last edited by NetWeasel on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Eternal Density

Eventually even Agatha realised that Niclep was not...

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:57 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:One of these dips Megan is going to pop out a little baconcancerbaby and prove that she was having sex all along...

*leaves leopards*
Spoiler:
relevant?

Something's wrong with my leopards:
Spoiler:

redundant???
Spoiler:
Happy 1800 BlitzGirl!

actual redundant:
leopard.PNG
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:59 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:I guess you'll have to...
Spoiler:
Wait

Spoiler:
for

Spoiler:

HHNnnrrrrg... *twitch* *twitch*
I guess I will, because it's time for me to coma coma coma chameleon. Maybe there'll be some more evidence as to how Megan and Cue are related tomorrow, depending on whether or not Megan reacts to Cueball's hand-holding.
Say, where is htom? Haven't seen him for a while.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:59 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:One of these days Megan is going to pop out a little baconcancerbaby and prove that she was having sex all along...

She doesn't look very pregnant at the moment, so does that mean we'll at least get another 8-10 months of OTC? I'm fine with that.

Has Randall ever drawn a pregnant stick figure?
Spoiler:

*leaves a leopard*
Spoiler:

Yes. 699
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:00 am UTC

Holy molpy, it's been an exciting day for y'all! Cities and castles and keyboards, oh my! I Don't even know how to comment on it all, except to say that the castle looks a little half-finished. Or perhaps in ruins and being rebuilt? Anyway, little bit of ketchup (just a drop, I only saw a couple recentposts I wanted to respond to today):

taixzo wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Moose Anus wrote:How did they know what a sandcastle should look like if there weren't any real castles?

Perhaps there's an unspoken "anymore" at the end of Cueball's sentence, or perhaps an unspoken "in this area." It's pretty clear (by their ability to construct sandcastles) that M&C know of castles, but maybe hadn't heard or seen of any even remotely near their home.

love your username, by the way.

Or they might be a mythical thing, like dragons. Castles and dragons were about equally real to me when I was little; i.e. you found them in fairy tales but never in the real world. (Although that might have been different had I lived in Europe.)

Well, we do tend to be rather reclusive, I suppose it's not that unlikely you've never met one of us.

But in all seriousness, growing up on the West Coast of the US (Washington State in particular) where nothing is older than 50 years besides some parts of Seattle (mostly the Pike Place Market) and the various native american symbology you see around, castles seemed like a fairy tale thing to me as well.

Valarya wrote:Where's that lightning-cloud-around-the-head smiley when you need it?

In reply to yappobiscuits.. some Americans have been out of the country and have visited several castles. This American went to Castle Neuschwanstein in Germany and the Chillon Castle (or Château de Chillon) in Switzerland. But I really want to castle some of the ruined castles up in castle-world Wales/England. But knowing me, if I ever made it to England.. I'd never leave c*stle London because of all the parties/events I'd have to go to!

ETA: oh look. castle-Hal and castle-Val were talking about the same chirpin' castle at the same time!
ETA2: I actually smiled largely when I saw your decree, BG.. :mrgreen:

I'm quite jealous. I've always wanted to go to Europe and see all the old medieval castles and things. But, I suppose, I have been to southeast asia twice, and Angkor Wat is about as impressive as a european castle.

Tom17

Postby Tom17 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:00 am UTC

More beanONG

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:02 am UTC

6299! So that's when time will end?
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:03 am UTC

The first three words match Speech 13, also by Beanie-2: ImageImageImage . ImageImageImageImage . ImageImage . ImageImageImageImageImage

Thanks for the cake, mscha and Eternal Density!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:05 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Well, we do tend to be rather reclusive, I suppose it's not that unlikely you've never met one of us.

But in all seriousness, growing up on the West Coast of the US (Washington State in particular) where nothing is older than 50 years besides some parts of Seattle (mostly the Pike Place Market) and the various native american symbology you see around, castles seemed like a fairy tale thing to me as well.

Have you been on the Seattle Underground Tour? No castles, but still very interesting.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:09 am UTC

ImageImageImage . ImageImageImageImage . ImageImage (big)other thing

"Let's go see bigotherthing" ??

ETA: It looks like he's so excited that he's about to wet his pants....
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:12 am UTC

It might be the proper name of the translator, perhaps.

HAL9000 wrote:Say, where is htom? Haven't seen him for a while.

htom hasn't been spotted on the OTT since the end of MayH. Last we heard, he was discouraged by a 50-page ketchup. However, I have seen him posting on another site recently, so he's still alive. :)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:13 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
Erm. Oddly, it seems to be a very bad idea to search "leopard on keyboard" with safesearch off.

Wow, from leopard to goat** in one page of Google images? That is bizarre. Next we'll find out that "molpy on keyboard" leads to something with a tin tub...
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:20 am UTC

BLINDPOST.

yappobiscuits wrote:
Valarya wrote:In reply to yappobiscuits.. some Americans have been out of the country and have visited several castles.

You say that as if I said "of course no Americans have ever left the country or seen a castle"... sorry if it came across that way, I simply meant that there aren't any castles in America so IF anyone who lives there has never been out of the country (which is perfectly believable, I've never been out of Europe), they wouldn't have seen a castle. Not making generalisations at all. My point was mainly that even if someone's never seen a castle they probably still know all about them.

Oh lord. I'm sorry.. I seem to be having this problem lately: not coming across very well in text. Apparently I am extremely terrible at conveying emotion, or am a bad 'writer.' Or perhaps I just don't emote hard enough? Either way.. I was being pretend-mad the entire post so that I could say 'castle' a bunch. I know you weren't implying anything.

@BlitzGirl: CUPCAKE SANDCASTLE!
Spoiler:

And the most jaw-dropping thing of all. First a little town. Kids. Then a giant zoom-out real castle! NOW HOLDING HANDS? Image Image
It's too much.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:27 am UTC

Just made it to the present. (Took a little longer than I'd hoped. Didn't help when I nodded off (mini-coma) while ketchuping, {hot and muggy apartment with no AC, along with changing wake-up time by several hoursH} and during the mini-coma I somehow got logged off. (Strange, sometimes I can close the fora tab, and ever "turn off" my browser and come back to find myself still logged-in. Or just be reading without commenting for several hours and no log off. Uff da.)
Any way because of the log off I lost some posts I was going to reply to. Time for me to use my.... my.... my... (whaddacallit) Studebaker! {no} Leopard! {no} Memeory {yeah, that's it. ..... I think.}
-I do remember mscha's 2000 post-averse. Congrats on that.
-It was neat to actually hear your auditions for the "movie." Sounds like a sea-ish idea.
-I notice we now have four people working on "Beanish". (To me it's a coin-flip as to whether they should get together now, or if they should continue to "attack" this from their own separate viewpoints for a bit longer. Separate means possible duplication. Collaboration means a "throw away line" from one person becomes the "key to understanding" to another. Or I could be having one of my HUMBle moments.)
-re; BlueCrab (and rule110) discussion on distance traveled: I was more agreeing with you that Cuegan have travelled further than we've been shown, more than the actual distance travelled (I'm not an experienced hiker, so I took your word for it. I was leaning more towards your original lower limit anyways.) I've always thought we've only been shown parts of their journey and not every step. And that they've eaten, slept, and "visited the bushes" more than we've seenA. For a recent example of how we haven't seen everything take a look at a blow-up from the first castle scene:
Spoiler:

and the blow-up:
Which shows a building that was not shown between these two scenes and I feel just demonstrates what has been happening for all Time.
Spoiler:

A(I really, really, really don't need to see a actual bowel movement. {If there's some actual "story-point" to be made, maybe. Even then I don't need detail. [Yes. there are a few times when an argument can be made. However this digestion is becoming sea-ish.]})

And this has become Sooooo sea-ish that yappobiscuits had his 500th post; SBN his 700th, and BlitzGirl her 1800th (and mcscha is at 2013?)! Great Posting to All of You!
On top of that I've passed my 500th!? :oops: Captain, did you have something to add?
Yes. It's the infamous Spoilered Attachment
Spoiler:
2825-resize.png
2825-resize.png (2.74 KiB) Viewed 12782 times

edit added point markers (-)
edit 2: correct name: BlueCrab
Last edited by pelrigg on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:21 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:28 am UTC

(Oh, please ignore this. I thought it hadn't come through and I repeated it trying to make it better. See a couple of posts below this one. Sorry.)
Last edited by Ximenez on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:36 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:31 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Erm. Oddly, it seems to be a very bad idea to search "leopard on keyboard" with safesearch off.

*unsee* *UNSEE*

Really, I don't think "Erm." is strong enough.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:34 am UTC

Congrats for your 1800th post, BlitzGirl!

Hey, have some related cake:
Spoiler:

Click here only if you want more:
Spoiler:

castlecake.jpg
castlecake2.jpg

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:35 am UTC

I had some artistic urges, so here's a present present!
(Note: I made sure to include all the landmarks, but obviously things are very much not to scale.)
Seaish version.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
redundakitty8.jpg
redundakitty8.jpg (12.62 KiB) Viewed 12745 times

WorldOfTime.png
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:37 am UTC

mathrec wrote:
taixzo wrote:Erm. Oddly, it seems to be a very bad idea to search "leopard on keyboard" with safesearch off.

*unsee* *UNSEE*

Really, I don't think "Erm." is strong enough.

I said it was a very bad idea! Why did you do it then?

(I know, "big red 'DO NOT PUSH' button" syndrome etc.)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:40 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I had some artistic urges, so here's a present present!

⁷, ⁴! ¹! ImageImageImage
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Chinchokmataa

Postby Chinchokmataa » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:42 am UTC

Hello everyone! Long time lurker here making a first post onto the OTT. As someone working on a Linguistics major, I thought I might try my hand at an analysis of Beanish.

Here is my initial take:
--I suspect (but I am not 100%), that the representation here is an alphabet, as opposed to a syllabary (or abjad or what have you). I count about 44 separate characters, which is in line with an alphabet (that is about high-mid in terms of number of sounds; English as about 33 by the quick messy count I just did), but very low for a syllabary. However, we are only dealing with a small snippit of the language, so we could be missing something.
--The average symbol-to-word rate is about 3.09, which might mean that we are dealing with a language that prefers words of the general shape CVC (C=consonant, V=vowel) if we are dealing with an alphabet. Of course, a language that prefers words of the shape CVCVCV (as predicted by a syllabary) is not impossible by any means of the imagination.
--If beanish does use an alphabet, we might be able to identify the identity of some of the symbols. For example, all symbols used for single-symbol words would probably be vowels (unless it is a language that allows some consonants to be used as vowels, but those are rare).
--Some of the words seem to be related to each other by symbol additions/slight character modifications. Obviously, these guys should be looked into.
--I am certain that it has already been noted that several of the characters are different from each other by a small set of diacritics. I am not sure what exactly that means in terms of the sound system of Beanish, and it might be problematic for the alphabet interpretation. It seems like these letters should be related by the phonetic qualities, however, the question is how they are related. It might be useful to note that some of the symbols so far do not seem to use any diacritics, specifically U, N, and G, and some of the rotated variants, depending on interpretation.

That's all I have time for now. Note that this is being posted with very little ketchup, so people are welcome to tell me what has already been said on the issue. I'll keep working at it and see what I come up with.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:42 am UTC

(Note: I made sure to include all the landmarks, but obviously things are very much not to scale.)
Seaish version.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
redundakitty8.jpg

WorldOfTime.png

Very treeish, and wonderfallish. It's the Journey in a nutshell. It's yappomazing!

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:45 am UTC

Spoiler:

Seaish version.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
redundakitty8.jpg

WorldOfTime.png

WOWnderfly done!
Last edited by tman2nd on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:46 am UTC

Redundant:
Spoiler:
redundakitty8.jpg

WorldOfTime.png

That's beautiful. (And, a particularly adorable redundikitty too.)
Last edited by SBN on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:46 am UTC

Thanks everyone!
Welcome and happy delurking, Chinchokmataa!
Valarya wrote:BLINDPOST.

yappobiscuits wrote:
Valarya wrote:In reply to yappobiscuits.. some Americans have been out of the country and have visited several castles.

You say that as if I said "of course no Americans have ever left the country or seen a castle"... sorry if it came across that way, I simply meant that there aren't any castles in America so IF anyone who lives there has never been out of the country (which is perfectly believable, I've never been out of Europe), they wouldn't have seen a castle. Not making generalisations at all. My point was mainly that even if someone's never seen a castle they probably still know all about them.

Oh lord. I'm sorry.. I seem to be having this problem lately: not coming across very well in text. Apparently I am extremely terrible at conveying emotion, or am a bad 'writer.' Or perhaps I just don't emote hard enough? Either way.. I was being pretend-mad the entire post so that I could say 'castle' a bunch. I know you weren't implying anything.

Oh, *feels silly*... Sarcasm/joking is hard to convey in text isn't it...

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:49 am UTC

As wowterful as yappo's present present is, it isn't really necessary to repeat it 3 times in a row...
Could y'all please consider snipping or spoilering posts if you reply to them?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

IceIsNice

Postby IceIsNice » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:54 am UTC

So I know it's kind of a long shot, but maybe the Beanies are not building a castle. Maybe they're dismantling one. Old castles make a nice supply of readily-available cut stone. A castle may not be all that practical any more in their society, why not use the stone to build houses and walls and gardens and such for your growing city. This sort of scavenging used to go on all the time before people began to feel that the past is something worth remembering, worth preserving. Just consider the recent destruction of Mayan and Peruvian pyramids by construction companies. But I'm going off-topic here.

So if this is some kind of post-apocalyptic, 11000-years-in-the-future setting, maybe the Beanies have found some better use for the stone. That is, if they don't need a strong defence against powerful attackers.

How Beardo fits into this theory, I cannot guess.
Hi! Probably.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:54 am UTC

mscha wrote:As wowterful as yappo's present present is, it isn't really necessary to repeat it 3 times in a row...
Could y'all please consider snipping or spoilering posts if you reply to them?

Hmm, I second that, as much as I appreciate your comments :)

Also, if anyone can figure out which real-world mountain I based the shape of the main one (the one with the castle) on, you get a prize (probably cake-based).

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:55 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:
fhorn wrote:I play French horn, and taught elementary school (ages 6 - 11 or 12) general music (singing, dancing, reading, writing, playing - Kodaly technique, specifically - drank the koolaid early on and will bore anyone to death with wondrous tales of music literacy, sight-singing and the joys and limitations of movable do!).
and you?

Very nice. Limitations of movable do, never! I'm a clarinetist (as may have been evidenced by the conference and my avatar), in my first year of a music performance course at uni.
fhorn wrote:Hoo boy, that's a lot of reeds all in one place, says the brass player..... On the bright side, you didn't have to shake hands with all those trumpet players (tpt player, meeting anyone: "hi, I'm better than you").

Haha, yes... not as bad as singers though.

How did I miss this entire discussion? Was it in one of the 20 pages I skipped recently? Is this blindposting or what?

*ahem* Hi. *shakes your hand* I'm a trumpet player. I'm better than you. :P jk jk - but I laughed. My daughter is 12 and sits 1st chair French Horn so we're a happy lil brass family. Brass is always better.. oops, did I do it again? :mrgreen:

@yappobiscuits: WOOOOW! Wowowowowow. That picture is beautiful.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:56 am UTC

Spoiler:

Seaish version.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
redundakitty8.jpg

WorldOfTime.png

Wow. That's all I can say, is Wow. Treeish, wowterfallish, wonderfallish, there are many words we have which do not quite adequately describe this.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:59 am UTC

Chinchokmataa wrote:Hello everyone! Long time lurker here making a first post onto the OTT. As someone working on a Linguistics major, I thought I might try my hand at an analysis of Beanish.
Spoiler:
Here is my initial take:
--I suspect (but I am not 100%), that the representation here is an alphabet, as opposed to a syllabary (or abjad or what have you). I count about 44 separate characters, which is in line with an alphabet (that is about high-mid in terms of number of sounds; English as about 33 by the quick messy count I just did), but very low for a syllabary. However, we are only dealing with a small snippit of the language, so we could be missing something.
--The average symbol-to-word rate is about 3.09, which might mean that we are dealing with a language that prefers words of the general shape CVC (C=consonant, V=vowel) if we are dealing with an alphabet. Of course, a language that prefers words of the shape CVCVCV (as predicted by a syllabary) is not impossible by any means of the imagination.
--If beanish does use an alphabet, we might be able to identify the identity of some of the symbols. For example, all symbols used for single-symbol words would probably be vowels (unless it is a language that allows some consonants to be used as vowels, but those are rare).
--Some of the words seem to be related to each other by symbol additions/slight character modifications. Obviously, these guys should be looked into.
--I am certain that it has already been noted that several of the characters are different from each other by a small set of diacritics. I am not sure what exactly that means in terms of the sound system of Beanish, and it might be problematic for the alphabet interpretation. It seems like these letters should be related by the phonetic qualities, however, the question is how they are related. It might be useful to note that some of the symbols so far do not seem to use any diacritics, specifically U, N, and G, and some of the rotated variants, depending on interpretation.

That's all I have time for now. Note that this is being posted with very little ketchup, so people are welcome to tell me what has already been said on the issue. I'll keep working at it and see what I come up with.

Welcome to the fire. I'm sure others will direct you to the wiki topic on Beanish, but as I posted just above here, (basicly) the more the merrier. The wiki is a couple of days out of date, so bear that in mind.
I think we're still trying to figure out what written Beanish is (alphabet-based vs. syllable-based vs. some type of glyph [just to throw something else out]). In case you want to review here's where it all began on NP 1036.
Last edited by pelrigg on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Off to see the wizardONG
(The wonderful wizard of ONGz)

CasCat

ONG their way again

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Spoiler:

Ninja'd. I'm just too slow....
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:06 am UTC

A little late, but here's the embiggering of the previous frame:

Maybe we'll get the Beanong for
"Nobody gets in to see the Wizard!"

redundant
Spoiler:
legsembiggened.png
legsembiggened.png (16.75 KiB) Viewed 12643 times

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:08 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:
fhorn wrote:I play French horn, and taught elementary school (ages 6 - 11 or 12) general music (singing, dancing, reading, writing, playing - Kodaly technique, specifically - drank the koolaid early on and will bore anyone to death with wondrous tales of music literacy, sight-singing and the joys and limitations of movable do!).
and you?

Very nice. Limitations of movable do, never! I'm a clarinetist (as may have been evidenced by the conference and my avatar), in my first year of a music performance course at uni.
fhorn wrote:Hoo boy, that's a lot of reeds all in one place, says the brass player..... On the bright side, you didn't have to shake hands with all those trumpet players (tpt player, meeting anyone: "hi, I'm better than you").

Haha, yes... not as bad as singers though.

How did I miss this entire discussion? Was it in one of the 20 pages I skipped recently? Is this blindposting or what?

*ahem* Hi. *shakes your hand* I'm a trumpet player. I'm better than you. :P jk jk - but I laughed. My daughter is 12 and sits 1st chair French Horn so we're a happy lil brass family. Brass is always better.. oops, did I do it again? :mrgreen:

@yappobiscuits: WOOOOW! Wowowowowow. That picture is beautiful.

And yay, I played trumpet for a very brief period but stopped because it was too hard on my lungs and I often felt faint from playing... I'll stick to all the many various other instruments I still play :P. But, as a composer of epic orchestral music, I'll naturally always favour the french horn :P

ChronosDragon wrote:Wow. That's all I can say, is Wow. Treeish, wowterfallish, wonderfallish, there are many words we have which do not quite adequately describe this.

Thank you too :mrgreen:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:17 am UTC

Wowterful drawing, yappo! :)
And thanks for the cakes, Ximenez! :D

NetWeasel wrote:Maybe we'll get the Beanong for

"Not nobody, not nohow!"
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:22 am UTC

Mmm, bellinis (hic)

ZoomanSP wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:What am I thinking... Ottish, of course! And when you use an Ottish word in the Outside, you're speaking with an Ottish accent! (Insert picture of Sean Connery-ified otter here.)

Not an otter, but I hope you're pleased with a squirpy:
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Yes, that's brilliant! Thank you!

Ucim, you've got me swearing in Ottish now; something in my head gave way when the Pope wrote: Molpy-chirping mustard. Best scene yet! :D

Yay, Strat's back! (Re: the apparent deserted-thread phenomenon: do you always come back at the same time of day or something?)
Spoiler:
image.jpg
Strat's Back!

taixzo wrote:<snip>"Infinitely long" does not mean "contains every possibility". For example, the number 0.121121112111121111121111112... does not repeat, but doesn't contain every combination of numbers; it doesn't even contain a 3.
Thank you! Once again an otter has helped me fix a glitch in my worldview. The idea that an infinite universe would contain various obnoxious scenarios has always really bothered me. The possibility for horrors still exist, of course, but they're not guaranteed by the very definition of the universe.

cellocgw wrote:
ttscp wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:
Spoiler:
Since it seems likely that we'll have a set of pictures of just walking along, I thought this was a good time to interject this. I've seen some references to this thread and so on being a religion, and I suspect there's a bit of a tongue in cheek nature to it. Although there is certainly some semblance of ritual and references to heresy and Randall as god, I don't think, for most of us, that we actually see him as god, except in the sense that he is certainly a god over the Cuegan-verse.

If you do really revere him in that way, or see this as a religion, I apologize if anything I say offends. My goal is not to offend, but rather to comment on what I DO think has been built here. An earlier poster made a comment about "community" and certainly a community has grown up around the Time comic. This isn't the first community spawned by xkcd (see geohashing for another example.) More than any other examples, though, this community has built something around Time, and what it has built, imo, is CULTURE. We have a set of unique traditions pertaining to both the every day and the unusual. We have language, our own unique ways of communicating. We have our own cultural referents, leading to humor and serious discussions which are obscure to those who don't understand our culture. We have a set of behavioral standards and cultural norms which all are expected to abide by. The lack of flame wars is a good indicator of the strength of some of the cultural taboos. We have special events around which are built a set of traditions and rituals. Like most cultures, members of the community can embrace the culture to a greater or lesser extent, depending on their own desires for such things.

What is also fascinating to me, is that like most cultures, the cultural aspects evolve over time. But, in this case, two things are unique. One is the rate at which changes occur. Two, is the ability to trace and understand the origins of traditions, and to follow how language, tradition and ritual change over time. It isn't possible to trace exactly how the tradition of shaking hands started, but if you want to know how popes got started, or where the word "molpy" originated, or trace how Blitzer behavior has changed over time, you can do all of these things.

This last paragraph is more purely speculative than the rest of this post, but I suspect that many of the members of this community, at least those who spend a lot of time here, participating in all aspects of the culture, might not have strong cultural roots outside of here. This is based partly on the types of person I suspect are attracted to xkcd, and partly on what drives someone to spend significant amounts of time here. Again, I mean no offense, nor do I mean to over-generalize. Instead, the point I am trying to get around to, is that one of the more beautiful aspects of XKCD and this comic in particular, to me, is that it HAS (whether Randall explicitly intended this or not) created both a community and a culture, that provides a place for people to belong, to enjoy and to PARTICIPATE in the evolution of the culture. Of course, you can also just participate only in the more "puzzle" type aspects of Time, if you want to just come on to participate in language deciphering, or whatever, and don't really need to dip into the culture that's been created. One of the cool things about this thread, is that it's completely acceptable to participate in that way too. For those who participate in everything on here, I hope you appreciate and value the cultural experience this provides. I personally enjoy working out stuff about the comic more than anything else, but find it fascinating, and very cool, the way a culture has grown around this.

Well said. I agree this thread is a gold mine for studies of evolution of groups and evolution of culture because it's all recorded.
I'm not certain I agree with the members not having strong cultural roots. (I have, however, been told more than once to "get a life.") Even those of us who have such roots, may find that the members of our culture don't think quite the same as we do. Most of the time that's not important, but sometimes it is nice to have a group that shares more of our interests (every author I've ever named on this thread has admirers on the thread, for instance) and way of thinking.

The only risk in using us as a study is that we've got, as the saying goes, no skin in the game. We may be projecting an online persona for fun, anonymity, or practice. And if we don't like it, we leave. These options don't really exist in a realworld cultural development cycle.
Wow. First, good post, b2bomberkrh, well said, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to appreciate the care you took not to step on toes; second, I certainly have strong Outside cultural roots, one of which (in my immediate family) is intense immersion in scholarly and/or esoteric pursuits. Like, oh, devoting precious hours to the culture (high, low, and biological) surrounding a webcomic which involves higher maths... :P Good point, cellocgw. Can you imagine, though, if humanity were still in such an interactive phase if/when we send out century ships or otherwise colonize long-range? The entire journey, the entirety of the cultural development, would be recorded. What effect do you suppose that would have on tradition, on relationships, on laws? Ooh, I'll betcha Stephen Baxter hasn't thought about this one yet!
...none of you is Stephen Baxter, right? :|
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:30 am UTC

ucim wrote:The fact that eleven thousand years of such reproduction yields pretty much the same thing shows that sandcastles are a stable biological niche. They are the trilobites of the architectural world. :)

So bring on the Permian trebuchets!

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
And I found a molpyfrrriend for your spoilerrrkitty:
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:35 am UTC

NetWeasel wrote:A little late, but here's the embiggering of the previous frame:

Maybe we'll get the Beanong for

redundant
Spoiler:
legsembiggened.png

Hey, maybe that's it!

Megan = Dorothy
Cueball = Toto
Beanie 1 = Scarecrow
Beanie 2 = Tin Man
Beanie 3 = Cowardly Lion

:D
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:36 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Wowterful drawing, yappo! :)

ZoomanSP wrote:
Redundant:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
And I found a molpyfrrriend for your spoilerrrkitty:
Spoiler:

Thank you two too... two too two too two two too too... :mrgreen:
And awesomeful prairie dog pirate to go with the kitty pirate and the otter pirates from before :mrgreen:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”