1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

ucim wrote:oh, who was it that did those wowterful photomanips that put the comic against a background photo?

That would have been me.
I've done them when I had inspiration ... and could find a matching photo, which is rarer than you'd expect.

For old time's sake, here are my photomanips so far:
Spoiler:
np1382 - don't eat those molberries, Cuegan! (Also an animated version, plus one that matches the OTC speed. Linked, not embedded, because I can't nested-spoiler them.)

np1407 - yes it is, Cueball, it is indeed.

np 1424 - I had to flip the OTC frame for this one to work.

np1503 - I like this one the best, I think. (But I only got a few comments on it...) Note that you can hardly see which Baobab's are real and which are the GLRs.

Manip'd around np1533, but based on an earlier np which I can't find - proving once and for all where they are...

np1612 - you can see how my manip skills have improved over time. Image

np1713 - yes, I'm sure it is. (Reversed again.)

np1930 - ⁷terfall!

np2130 - entering the mountains.

np2323 - sure, Cueball, Megan will let you be a gentleman...

Edit: I don't believe in the papacy, but for those of you who do: make a similar photomanip of your favourite (or a random) OTC frame. Or just go about your business...
Last edited by mscha on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:50 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:NEW PRIME DISCOVERED. 20 is prime!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

No, really sorry.

hah. Conjecture #1: all odd numbers are prime. Proof: 3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is clearly an error on the part of the grad student in the lab, 11 is prime, 13 is prime, and the sequence is obvious.

Conjecture #2: all prime numbers are odd. Proof: The only prime number that is not odd is 2, which makes 2 pretty odd. QED.

{P1046}
Conjecture #3: All prime numbers are indivisible by 3. The only prime number that is not indivisible by three is 3, which makes 3 pretty odd. QENothing.

ETCorrect a missing in in the divisible department.
Last edited by Exodies on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:<snip>
As I was reading this, it started sounding all too familar. . .then I realized what non-mathematical problem this reminded me of.

Spoiler:
You're reading this forum, and all you know is that at some future date (call it Aleph-Null Day), if you have enough Time, you can finally ketchup. The OTT gives you two choices. One: you login every day, find ten NP added to the front of the forum, and you ketchup three NP from the back. Two: you login every day, find ten NP added to the front of the forum, then read just the 6 newest NP from the front (planning to blitz the old pages later). Which option leaves you more likely to ketchup by Aleph-Null Day? :D

Wow, I think I've seen this same puzzle somewhere also! It's all connected!!!
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

A seaish ketchup post, and it's not even a real ketchup post due to all the unread pages I still have. But here it is:

rhomboidal wrote:[url=http://xkcd.com/1190]Title Text: Wait for it.
Spoiler:
I have no patience for entropy.

[Note: I don't think showing the latest image is a spoiler in the typical sense, since it seems the essential idea of this epic comic of comics is that while time might appear to be a strictly linear phenomenon, its manifestation as life is actually a profoundly open, richly holistic, poly-temporal inter-creative experience with as many entry points, narratives, and interpretations as there are participants in it. The ever-flowing moment of the present is in fact a portal to all times -- a mysterious window which invites us to simultaneously invent the world as we explore it. While we personally might have different beginnings, adventures, and inevitable endings, together our searching individual journeys map the living landscape of our boundless humanity and reality.

Also, castle silhouettes look crazy cool.

Just noticed rhomboidal's addition to the FirstPost. I didn't know he was still around. Nice to hear something from The Most Ancient One.

SBN wrote:Revelation:
Spoiler:
I have a mopey wolpy this morning. Her favorite person in the world isn't home. She keeps looking, but to no avail, he's gone for the day. Everyone should be loved the way she loves him. (But maybe with less drool.) I'm the largest wolpy's favorite, but he's less demonstrative. Comes from needing to try several times before he found his forever home. I'm also pretty confident that he'd throw me over in a heartbeat if there was a child he could own. Smallest wolpy's favorite is away until probably Christmas, since her summer job and college are both six states away. (And, due to that unfortunate gravity surge, they can't even Skype.)

I think this is my favorite revelation. I can just picture the emotions of the three molpies. And I love newfymolpies.

NoMouse wrote:Oh hey, hi! Maybe you're better than me but I'm better than you too! :mrgreen: Yes, trumpet player here. How many musicians are there in the OTT anyway? Maybe we could form OTB - The One True Band. :lol:

You know, I had the same thought. And we could actually do it, albeit remotely. We could all upload tracks somewhere. That would be awesomeful.

Valarya wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:I'll even add mine to the pile (four lines instead of just one because I'm greedy :P) although I doubt we'll end up going for a British Cueball... still, just for fun :P

I think you sound great, yappo! Perfect 'attitude,' if that's the right word. You have my vote! Though if Cue is british, Megan will have to be also. :P

I don't think that's true, necessarily. We don't know that they both came from the same place.

And I agree, mscha, that your accent was very slight. And again, I don't know that we can't give Cuegan any accent we want. We know so little of their history.

xpatiate wrote:Here's one for you sford - I learned about "moss piglets" today. Also known as "water bears". Sounds cute right?

Spoiler:

Actually this one does look kind of cuddly...
Spoiler:

I LOVE water bears! One time I was at a job where we were ordering stuff from a scientific catalog and I saw that you could order water bears, so I did. We were going to look at them in the microscope, then--someone dropped the jar and they were lost in the carpet. I tried looking for them with a magnifying glass, but it didn't work. Thus ends my sad water bear story. :(

cellocgw wrote:Which reminds me of a cool puzzler you can use to mystify non-mathematicians (or perhaps convince them of your total nerdness). Here goes:
You're in Hell...

Ah, that would explain the infinitely-long discussion of infinity. :twisted:

moody7277 wrote:No one in the past few ONGs went with "good luck stormONG the castle?" Inconceivable.

That would have been perfect. We can pretend someone did.

Fictioneer wrote:Prediction: Dragon in the chamber protecting a pile of gold. Wearing a hat. Wait, where'd ChronosDragon go?

Revelation: This is my first try at posting an image -- let's see if I can follow instructions correctly... If not, my revelation is that I'm inept at it.

Molpy up!

I love your molpy, and your avatar.

Angelastic wrote:<snippety>]Nope. ImageThere aren't any in New Zealand (whose only native land mammals are fruit bats [ETA: Hobbits are an introduced species, and they're a pain because they eat all the endangered birds]) for one thing. Probably not in Antarctica, either. :) I don't know where squirpies live though. <snipety>

Fruit bats? Do you feast on them?

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
fhorn wrote:LOVING the math lessons... TIL about infinity and Aleph-Null day. Woo-hoo! To infinity and beyond!

So, here you go. Aleph-null is normally taken as the "smallest" infinity. There are larger infinities: Aleph-one, etc. Arithmetic is a bit strange. Aleph-null plus 1 is aleph-null. But aleph-null plus aleph-null is also aleph-null. The set of all counting numbers ("natural" numbers) has size aleph-null. The set of all integers (includes negatives as well) is also aleph-null. The set of all real numbers (infinite decimals) has size aleph-one. But the set of all rational numbers (fractions, one integer divided by another) has size aleph-null again. You can do arithmetic with infinities, but it gets a little weird. Not terribly weird, but a little. Back when I studied this stuff (more than 40 years ago) it was unknown whether there is an infinity between aleph-null and aleph-one that isn't equal to either. Maybe I'll put this in the book.

On a somewhat related note. Sir Arthur Eddington postulated that the number of protons (and electrons) in the observable universe is less than 1080. So there is a physical limitation to what you can actually represent physically (within the observable universe, at least). See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddington_number,

Too...much...math...brain shutting down...eyes glazing over...
There are different-sized infinities? WTF? When did that happen?

cellocgw wrote:trim trim trim I only wanted to post a joke... ("I started a joke, which got the whole world ..." )

which started the whole thread's mind exploding..." Well, doesn't quite fit the melody, but close enough.

TimeLurker wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Well, fellow OTTers, I must away. I'm a bridesmaid at a wedding this wip-end, and there is much to do betwixt now and then. (Plus, I doubt I will have internet access for a few xip.) I'll check in when I can, but for the most part, I won't be able to. So hold down the thread for me; I'll be back again next Mondip! :)

We'll miss you BlitzGirl!! :cry:
Upon your return, I suggest changing your name to KetchupGirl until you return to the present.

There's something sort of meta about naming blitzing after BlitzGirl, and then suggesting she change her name till she's done blitzing. :? :) Any, have fun, BlitzGirl!

HAL9000 wrote:
ucim wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:hey, there's a reason each orchestra only needs one piano to sound good.
Because next to a piano, anything sounds good? :)

It's because the rest of the orchestra can only tolerate being around one superior instrument at a time. :lol:

Riiiiigghhttt, that's it....

Good thing I was alone in the office, since I was laughing out loud at several things, such as:
foilman wrote:Prediction: there's nothing exciting to see in the castle, Megan is just commenting on its tidiness.

Someguy945 wrote:
Fictioneer wrote:I'm choosing to believe it's vaulted. Barrel- or rib-vaulting will do me just fine.

Yep, the castle has an organ and it's ribbed for your enjoyment!

taixzo wrote:The OTT doesn't contain everything! It doesn't contain, for instance, a reference to the square root of 53.

Oh wait...

And you have no idea how hard I'm trying to NOT google "leopard on keyboard."

I have accomplished no actual work yet today. Thanks, OTT!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
ucim wrote:oh, who was it that did those wowterful photomanips that put the comic against a background photo?

That would have been me.
I've done them when I had inspiration ... and could find a matching photo, which is rarer than you'd expect.

<Snippity snip>

The First one, of course, implies that Time takes place in Woodstock, NY.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ofvn2vw1872

Re: Music of Time

Postby ofvn2vw1872 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:ETA: Just before I get too ahead of myself with this - I just want to check to make sure everyone's ok with me taking the helm for the OTC soundtrack... As much as I'd secretly love to do it all myself*, I don't want to be selfish here, so - are there any other composers/musicians here who want to contribute/collaborate?

*To clarify I'm talking mainly about composing here - I'd be more than happy to have other musicians PLAYING things I've written. In fact that would be the best thing, if there's anyone who wants to help out there.

I think you seem like you are taking the helm, and I think it's a good idea. I'd be happy to help, and contribute in the background here and there.
"It never seems to occur to people that a man might just want to write a piece of music"

CFS

Postby CFS » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
fhorn wrote:Now I've got myself thinking about a soundtrack to the OTT. I'm not a pagepope but - what would the soundtrack sound like?

It's interesting you bring this up. Earlier I mentioned imagining Cueball's voice to be melancholy, and then I realized that's because of the music I listen to at work all day whilst reading the Thread of Time. It isn't always melancholy music, but this song came on in my playlist and, well, it kind of all snapped together why I projected such an emotion onto Cue.

The entire OTC soundtrack, to me, is in electronic music because that's what I listen to. Though, for the purpose of art, I could definitely see some sweeping scores of symphonic music in most of it. Or ethereal stuff like this, which I think would be a good fit for their walk through the abandoned grapevine and/or up to the empty hut (pre-raptorcat).

@SinusPi: Love the manip! :mrgreen:

I'm a big fan of this kind of music, especially Burial.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Too...much...math...brain shutting down...eyes glazing over...

Around 1880, actually. Find Georg Cantor on wikipedia

Exodies wrote:{P1046}
Conjecture #3: All prime numbers are indivisible by 3. The only prime number that is not divisible by three is 3, which makes 3 pretty odd. QENothing.

Hmmm. Are you an engineer?
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

mscha wrote:For old time's sake, here are my photomanips so far
Oh me yarm, those are so awesome - brings back great memories. I don't remember seeing the Wowtrees one though... if others missed it for the same reason, that may be why it didn't get comments. It certainly merits a 15!

lgw wrote:I just wanted to point out that this is confusing two very different concepts: non-computable reals, and non-computable functions.
Yes, you are right. Official uncomputable numbers don't phase me... it's a corollary of the difference in size between countable infinity and uncountable infinity. But it's the non-computable functions that do it to me - the ones that grow "faster than fast", because they result in ... well... gggaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAA!!!!! They're finite but you can't "get to them".

lmjb1964 wrote:There are different-sized infinities? WTF? When did that happen?
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.
(I'm reminded of the quote by Isaac Rabi upon being confronted with (IIRC) either the Tau Lepton or the Higgs Boson: "Who ordered that?"
Not only are there different sizes of infinity, but after you get through with all the different sizes, there are even bigger ones. It's turtles all the way down!

yappobiscuits wrote:ETA: Just before I get too ahead of myself with this - I just want to check to make sure everyone's ok with me taking the helm for the OTC soundtrack... As much as I'd secretly love to do it all myself*, I don't want to be selfish here, so - are there any other composers/musicians here who want to contribute/collaborate?
I'm good with it. You'd be awesome.

Jose
15Baobab, of course
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

mscha wrote:For old time's sake, here are my photomanips so far:

mscha, your photomanips have been sheer delights in my prior lurkage. Now I can tell you how impressed I was every time I opened one.

svenman

Re: Long-page Ketchup

Postby svenman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Most of my info comes originally (from my viewpoint) from Azimov on Numbers. The set of integers is aleph-null. The set of real numbers is aleph-1 (between any two reals, there are infinite reals, not so with integers). The set of curves on a plane is aleph-2.

This is from an old book read years ago, from old memory...

Hi all, delurking and blindposting whlie ketchupping (our tribe has a strange dialect of English, hasn't it?).

Fun fact: It can be shown by a diagonal argument that the cardinality of the set of rational numbers is equal to the cardinality of the set of integer numbers, i. e. aleph-null. However, also between any two rationals, there are infinite rationals. So, the equivalent statement for real numbers, while true, does not by itself imply that the cardinality of reals is necessarily larger than aleph-null.

ETA: Of course someone else already had pointed out the same, I knew I should have checked out the rest of the same page at least before posting...
Last edited by svenman on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

*To clarify I'm talking mainly about composing here - I'd be more than happy to have other musicians PLAYING things I've written. In fact that would be the best thing, if there's anyone who wants to help out there.

I actually had been working on a musical score for the OTC, in fact (I called it the OTS (One True Symphony)) - although as I was using one measure for newpix, I'm still writing the Sandcastle Period. I do have a bunch of notes for things that I made during my Blitz (because I've been including themes from the OTT as well). What software do you use for composing? I could send you what I have so far.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

leavONG the frame
Beardo next newpix?

Also, on the topic of an OTC soundtrack, I think it should be something similar to John Cage's "As Slowly As Possible," in that it can be played at any speed (more specifically, the speed at which you are viewing the OTC).

ETA: Double ninja! Celebration time:
Spoiler:
(Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, for those unfamiliar with G.I. Joe)
Last edited by HAL9000 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:05 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

I'm hearing GregONGian chant or a nice orgONG
Spoiler:

ninja'd by Hal. Hal, don't you have some scales to practice? :twisted:
ed both to spoiler and to try and distract Hal
Last edited by fhorn on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:02 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

That hallway sure must be echoONG...
Spoiler:

Ninja'd by HAL. ;P

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZh105_r2Qk
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:

I actually had been working on a musical score for the OTC, in fact (I called it the OTS (One True Symphony)) - although as I was using one measure for newpix, I'm still writing the Sandcastle Period. I do have a bunch of notes for things that I made during my Blitz (because I've been including themes from the OTT as well). What software do you use for composing? I could send you what I have so far.

If you've already made a good start, I think maybe rather than collaborating we should keep them separate. I've already formed ideas and they're probably quite different to what you've already got - so rather than both of us having to compromise, and since yours follows a stricter measure-per-newpix format and mine is to be more fluid and designed to be in the background along with the voices, I think it's best if you just keep working on your own, so we have two different but hopefully equally awesomeful interpretations!

ETA: Here's an example of my previous soundtrack work - Far too dark/exciting/bombastic to work in the OTC (it was for a dystopian sci-fi radio drama), but it's just an example of how I've mixed orchestral stuff with rock and subtle electronic elements, which is what I was thinking of doing for this as well. (Much less of the rock though.)
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
ucim wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:hey, there's a reason each orchestra only needs one piano to sound good.
Because next to a piano, anything sounds good? :)

It's because the rest of the orchestra can only tolerate being around one superior instrument at a time. :lol:

Riiiiigghhttt, that's it....

OK fine. Let's see you (pianist) perform so good after carrying YOUR instrument in from the parking lot. Even the double basses can do that. How 'bout you :twisted:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

soundtrack discussion
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:
taixzo wrote:

If you've already made a good start, I think maybe rather than collaborating we should keep them separate. I've already formed ideas and they're probably quite different to what you've already got - so rather than both of us having to compromise, and since yours follows a stricter measure-per-newpix format and mine is to be more fluid and designed to be in the background along with the voices, I think it's best if you just keep working on your own, so we have two different but hopefully equally awesomeful interpretations!

I really like the idea of a multitude (a symphony, if you will) of soundtracks. Our community/cave/culture is rich with individual interpretations/inspirations/talents (dammit, lost my awesome alliteration at the very end) - let 'em fly! And isn't there something out there about standards? *commences flipping through increasingly large number of pages, standards, standards, where was that - ah yes: ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball!
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

Spoiler:

mscha wrote:Also, interstellar travel isn't, and in my belief never will be, practical. You simply won't find people willing to do it, knowing that their grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-
grand-grand-children might reach the nearest star.

Most people likely won't be interested in the journey, just in the destination.

mscha wrote:Wormhole travel, warp-speed? Will stay in the domain of SF.

Just like horseless carriages and automatic computing machines, uh?

BlitzGirl wrote:Well, fellow OTTers, I must away. I'm a bridesmaid at a wedding this wip-end, and there is much to do betwixt now and then. (Plus, I doubt I will have internet access for a few xip.) I'll check in when I can, but for the most part, I won't be able to. So hold down the thread for me; I'll be back again next Mondip! :)

He he, something big is gonna happen on the OTC :D
Seriously: we'll be waiting for you.

yappobiscuits wrote:I was thinking for the soundtrack I would do something quite ambient, and take influence from the interactivity of some video game music, i.e. rather than having the music set in stone, just playing through from start to finish, it would have looping sections and different parts that would come in and out as you navigate through the comic. For example, the Sandcastle Eon could have its own theme which builds up and develops as the sandcastle grows. And reaching certain special frames would trigger certain musical cues, like something a bit more exciting for the raptorcat attack. That's what I'd like to do if it's at all possible - I don't have the technical know-how to actually make it work, but if someone else does...

In more detail... the score would be made up of looping themes which loop until you reach a certain frame where it develops (as seamlessly as possible) by adding other instrument layers or changing to a new theme altogether. It wouldn't all be loops though, only where its appropriate. For certain special frames and moments, specifically scored sections would come in.

Sounds like a seaish work... but Timeish too.

Once math stopped being about reality (check your status bar).

Ooooooooohhhhh now I have two tabs open. :cry:
I love you folks, just wanted to say goodbye Image
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Rrhain

Postby Rrhain » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

Is it just me, or is anybody else expecting the Order of the Stick to be in the next room?

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Sounds like a seaish work... but Timeish too.

Seaish most likely... although I'll try to make it relatively minimalist, with just a few simple recurring themes just presented in different ways for different atmospheres. And Timeish? As in... you have to wait for it? Or it flies when having fun? :P

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Hmmm... "Always a bridesmaid, ... at least Aleph-Null times" ?

Or is it really "bridemolpy" ? Somehow being a "brideblitz" doesn't sound like a good idea.

BlitzMaid.

I declare myself the Strongly Inaccessible Cardinal of the Upper Paradox Church.

If the OTB needs an incompetent rainstick player, I can do that. We could call ourselves the Band Dessinée (Bande dessinée being French for comic strip.)

HAL9000 wrote:Well, the number of musicians in the OTB depends entirely on how many of us (myself included) play the piano. Everyone else would just be providing the background noise and keeping the audience from getting bored while we give our fingers the occasional rest. :twisted:
hey, there's a reason each orchestra only needs one piano to sound good. :P

If the number of musicians in the OTB depends on the number of piano players, and an orchestra only needs one piano player, does that mean that if we have two piano players we can't be a band? What if we have three; do the first two cancel out and then the third one makes us capable of being a band again?

I predict no Beardo in the next frame, because they indicated he was behind the castle, and they also seemed to say they were going to the water. And also because even if those two things are incorrect, GLR will surely make us
Spoiler:
into beautiful butterflies if we wait for
a few more frames.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:I totally heard organ music with this one.

In that case, may I recommend Bach's "Passacaglia in C minor". A personal favorite.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

lgw wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:On Paradoxes.

The infinity paradoxes (such as the stack of money ones) can be resolved just by remembering that you can't count your way to aleph-null. However high your number, the next is still finite.

The Fermi Paradox is more interesting. I think that recent research implies that life, or at least its basic building blocks, were seeded from space. Lots of organic "soup" has been detected in space. This implies that the probability of life on planets (or free in space) is greater rather than smaller. Why we don't see life may have more to do with Time than with the number of planets sheltering life. Life comes in to being, it rises in complexity, maybe to the point of intelligence, or not. But, if it also gets destroyed, or self destroyed, then there may be a narrow window of time for each civilization to be visible. We've only been sending out signals for about 100 years and only been looking for about half of that. Detectable signals may fly by us frequently, but with thousand year gaps. Our wave front is only about 100 light years away. Not very far, actually. And if we were to self destruct tomorrow, the wave would only be 100 light years wide.

I just love the Fermi Paradox. My favorite statement of it is: if just one civilization in our galaxy built self-replicating machines to explore the galaxy at some tiny % of the speed of light, we would expect to see the evidence in our own solar system. My favorite answer to that is: we've barely started looking - we've so barely explored that the chance of finding mine workings on some random asteroid or belt object are basically 0. Maybe the evidence is in our back yard, waiting on us to be bothered to find it.

What gets me is: even if civilizations are rare, and short-lived, and tend not to spread in a stable fashion... all we need is for just one civilization to have released some sort of robustly propagating aggressive by-product, just once, anywhere in the galaxy. That could mean self-replicating machines, or an exploration-minded subculture, or who knows what. If it started at least a few tens of millions of years (i.e. a galactic eyeblink) ago, it would be all over our solar system by now, FTL or no, scooping up every bit of available mass and solar energy. Given a little more time, any nearby galaxy would serve just as well.

To put this in perspective, imagine a member of some hunter-gatherer society, somewhere on earth, 5000 years ago. Imagine them having a similar conversation, about the hypothetical possibility of encountering a (to them) high-tech civilization from elsewhere on Earth. "Nah", they might say. "High-tech civilizations must be rare, we certainly haven't seen any around here. Even if one did arise somewhere, it might not last, and why would anyone from that civilization bother to come all the way to our little patch?" And for a while, they'd have been right. Depending on what spot on the globe you imagined... perhaps the Mesopotamian civilization didn't reach them. Perhaps the Roman Empire didn't reach them. Perhaps Empires X, Y, Z, A, and B didn't reach them either. But by now, no matter where on the globe they are, they've been reached. All it took was a little time. And the Universe is pretty old already.

Dragging this back into some semblance of OTC relevance: Beanie civilization seems to be fairly advanced, and to have considerable resources at its disposal. They must have scouts exploring for some distance around. How is it that Cuegan had never head of them? Just how far *have* they traveled?
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
cellocgw wrote:I'd also like to apologize to all OTTers who find this sidethread about infinities either completely insane or just a waste of NP. I only wanted to post a joke... ("I started a joke, which got the whole world ..." )

Are you saying that this could be a NewPage complete problem?
(math joke)

Only when Pagepope equals NewPage.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I have been thinking about it, I think mainly ambient background stuff apart from certain special moments where things get more exciting. Stylistically, a mix of ambient electronic with some orchestral elements.

Hahah, how weird is that. Do you realize I basically said the same exact thing about 5-6 posts above you? :mrgreen:

Valarya wrote:The entire OTC soundtrack, to me, is in electronic music because that's what I listen to. Though, for the purpose of art, I could definitely see some sweeping scores of symphonic music in most of it. Or ethereal stuff like this, which I think would be a good fit for their walk through the abandoned grapevine and/or up to the empty hut (pre-raptorcat).

CFS wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
fhorn wrote:Now I've got myself thinking about a soundtrack to the OTT. I'm not a pagepope but - what would the soundtrack sound like?

It's interesting you bring this up. Earlier I mentioned imagining Cueball's voice to be melancholy, and then I realized that's because of the music I listen to at work all day whilst reading the Thread of Time. It isn't always melancholy music, but this song came on in my playlist and, well, it kind of all snapped together why I projected such an emotion onto Cue.

The entire OTC soundtrack, to me, is in electronic music because that's what I listen to. Though, for the purpose of art, I could definitely see some sweeping scores of symphonic music in most of it. Or ethereal stuff like this, which I think would be a good fit for their walk through the abandoned grapevine and/or up to the empty hut (pre-raptorcat).

@SinusPi: Love the manip! :mrgreen:

I'm a big fan of this kind of music, especially Burial.

Awesome! I almost posted up a Burial & Four Tet collab. I'm also a big fan. :)
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

Rrhain wrote:Is it just me, or is anybody else expecting the Order of the Stick to be in the next room?

Hah! Now I am.

Maybe the rising sea is due to water spilling out of the Snarl.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Hahah, how weird is that. Do you realize I basically said the same exact thing about 5-6 posts above you? :mrgreen:

Yes, with my post I was kinda implicitly agreeing with you :P

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

Oh no :( Uhm, I meant to say have fun, we'll wait for you in the present...
Well, at least we can count on you to be back with us in a flash ;)

cellocgw wrote:try to keep count of how many times the guests say Wow, Yeah, and Neat.

For comparison's sake: Word count of the OTC dialogue is now at 3057, including 43 yeahs, 7 neats and 4 wows.
Go Minim go!

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
taixzo wrote:Erm. Oddly, it seems to be a very bad idea to search "leopard on keyboard" with safesearch off.

*unsee* *UNSEE*

Really, I don't think "Erm." is strong enough.
I can't tell if this is a joke I don't get or a difference in Google's user-specific filtering, but when I google that with safesearch off, I get only results from this thread.

*tries without quotes*

Ohhh. I'd forgotten about that particular xkcd fansite. Works pretty well for the current OtherComicNSFW?.

NSFW?This is actually a link to the SFW version, but still, NSFL if you haven't already been traumatised.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
taixzo wrote:

ETA: Here's an example of my previous soundtrack work - Far too dark/exciting/bombastic to work in the OTC (it was for a dystopian sci-fi radio drama), but it's just an example of how I've mixed orchestral stuff with rock and subtle electronic elements, which is what I was thinking of doing for this as well. (Much less of the rock though.)

Wow, listening to that made the OTT much more epic! Nice work, yappobiscuits! :D
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

goiONG up, sir?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

A door, some stairs, and a curtain until the next hall.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

Ooh, stairs... to a dais perhaps? Where, on a throne, sits Beardo the Great and Powerful?
ETA: Ah, no, I've just seen the door. Beardo must be elsewhere...
Angelastic wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Hmmm... "Always a bridesmaid, ... at least Aleph-Null times" ?

Or is it really "bridemolpy" ? Somehow being a "brideblitz" doesn't sound like a good idea.

BlitzMaid.

That sort of makes it sound like, instead of experiencing the wedding in real-time, she'll go through it all later, then turn up at the reception when everything's coming to an end and announce "I'm back in the present!!" :P
taixzo wrote:Wow, listening to that made the OTT much more epic! Nice work, yappobiscuits! :D

Haha, thanks, did it turn the OTT into a gritty dystopian drama? :P
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

CameronCat

From the back pew

Postby CameronCat » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

So...our party of five is strolling through the high-arched, otherwise empty hall(s) of the neat stone-ish castle. Is it just me, or can you hear the reverberant echo of them singing (in 5-part harmony) Boom-de-yada, Boom-de-yada as a walking tune?

@AluisioASG
Spoiler:
Hi there CameronCat!

Hi to you, and thanks for the hat-tip. The Furry Avatar is not taken with castles, nor boxes nor even bags. He is mostly content with sunny windows and being allowed onto the screen porch. We do occasionally find him in an empty laundry basket, though.

And a happy soon-to-be birthday. I may not be around but someone will surely send you cake on the day.

@Mscha: I had forgotten your wonderful re-draws with backgrounds. They are truly stunning.

@ Anybody: Any hints on making the GeekWagon site work? I can get the header and footer control panels showing up but none of the frames load. It does say 'Loading' in the upper left corner, but nothing showed up after an extended period of Waiting For It. I figure if it hasn't loaded, or at least shown something, in 45 mips, it probably isnt' going to. Thanks for any help.

I must say I was initially against the idea of "Time, the Musical" for the previously-mentioned matter of "no voice could be like the one I hear in my head." But on reconsideration, I think Yappo voicing Cue might be just right; but I also think Megan should remain the saucy, sassy, successful girl that she is. No extreme accent for her (Southern drawl, NY nasal, etc.) either. Perhaps upper mid-west US? Rocky Mountain area? Just a thought.

My everything esploded when all those Maths went through the Tabernacle; I hope no one was injured by the flying debris.
Apprentice Curmudgeon by appointment to the Order of the Holy Contradiction
Knight Luminary and Second Prelate of the Proscenium
It's all related

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Ohhh. I'd forgotten about that particular xkcd fansite.

What the m*stard :shock:
Go Minim go!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Which reminds me of a cool puzzler you can use to mystify non-mathematicians (or perhaps convince them of your total nerdness). Here goes:
You're in Hell, and all you know is that at some future date (call it Aleph-Null Day), if you have enough money, you can buy your way out. The Devil gives you two choices. One: He arrives every day , adds ten $1 bills to the top of your stack of money, and removes three bills from the bottom. Two: he arrives every day, adds ten $1 bills to the top of your stack, then removes 6 bills from the top of the stack. Which option leaves you with more money on Aleph-Null Day?
:twisted:

As I was reading this, it started sounding all too familar. . .then I realized what non-mathematical problem this reminded me of.

Spoiler:
You're reading this forum, and all you know is that at some future date (call it Aleph-Null Day), if you have enough Time, you can finally ketchup. The OTT gives you two choices. One: you login every day, find ten NP added to the front of the forum, and you ketchup three NP from the back. Two: you login every day, find ten NP added to the front of the forum, then read just the 6 newest NP from the front (planning to blitz the old pages later). Which option leaves you more likely to ketchup by Aleph-Null Day? :D

:D

mscha wrote:

That would have been me.

Spoiler:
np1382 - don't eat those molberries, Cuegan! (Also an animated version, plus one that matches the OTC speed. Linked, not embedded, because I can't nested-spoiler them.)

np1407 - yes it is, Cueball, it is indeed.

np 1424 - I had to flip the OTC frame for this one to work.

np1503 - I like this one the best, I think. (But I think I had zero comments on it...) Note that you can hardly see which Baobab's are real and which are the GLRs.

Manip'd around np1533, but based on an earlier np which I can't find - we definitely know where they are, now...

np1612 - you can see how my manip skills have improved over time. Image

np1713 - yes, I'm sure it does. (Reversed again.)

np1930 - ⁷terfall!

np2130 - entering the mountains.

np2323 - sure, Cueball, Megan will let you be a gentleman...

Edit: I don't believe in the papacy, but for those of you who do: make a similar photomanip of your favourite (or a random) OTC frame. Or just go about your business...

Thanks for letting us revisit your manips! They are truly fantastic. I don't remember seeing the boabab one before, but it's impressive.

SBN wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZh105_r2Qk

That commercial cracks me up. Don't know why I didn't think of it.

Music composition stuff:
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:
taixzo wrote:

What, have two different versions of a soundtrack? That would be like having competing theories about Time, or different terms for the same thing, or...oh, yeah, actually, that would be fine.

Seriously, that music you uploaded is cool, yappo, and I'd love to hear what taixo has. I'm happy to collaborate. I play many types of percussion, hand and orchestral, and once upon a time I played viola and piano. And guitar badly. And I sing.

AluisioASG wrote:

Once math stopped being about reality (check your status bar).

Ooooooooohhhhh now I have two tabs open. :cry:
I love you folks, just wanted to say goodbye Image

That last line sounded ominous. Everything OK, AluisioASG?
And I see that TVtropes link there, but I'm not getting sucked down that wormhole...

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

Around 1880, actually. Find Georg Cantor on wikipedia

Exodies wrote:{P1046}
Conjecture #3: All prime numbers are indivisible by 3. The only prime number that is not divisible by three is 3, which makes 3 pretty odd. QENothing.

Hmmm. Are you an engineer?

Nah, I think he must be a philosopher or an accountant. All of us engineers know that 3, like any number is divisible by itself. Although his suggestion that prime numbers are all divisible by 3 isn't too far off. All you have to do is add or subtract one from even multiples of 3 to get a prime, see: 2*3-1=5, 2*3+1=7, 4*3-1=11, 4*3+1=13, 6*3-1=17, 6*3+1=19 ... I could continue, but I think I've proven my point.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

Suggestions for yappo:

- The music could follow the growing complexity of the OTC. That is, start with few, simple notes, simple harmony, somewhat thin and light, and getting complex with... well, Time.

- It could have some touches from the Middle Ages (or Renaissance), particularly when castles/sandcastles are involved.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”