1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Meanwhile, a few minutes later...

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:05 am UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Is that supposed to be a chair or is desk-person half chicken?

This made me laugh so hard to myself that I then had to explain to my wife why the bed was shaking. (In bed.)
You're welcome.
[heresy]Quite coincidentally I made a different and probably more laugh-inducing chicken-related joke in an outside forum, and didn't notice the connection until now.[/heresy]

Wow that hair is tangled!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

yappobiscuits

Re: Long-page Ketchup

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:05 am UTC

That's a lot of hair! Maybe this is our translator and that wasn't a beard at all...

Seaish wall of music-related replies to Kazza3...
Spoiler:
Kazza3 wrote:Soundtrack discussion:
These are some great ideas, especially re: not doing a regular 'film' composition to set times. GLR's writing in an unconventional medium and we'll need an unconventional form of music to match it. Yappo, your loop idea is great (though I usually prefer a more normal compositional framework, this makes more sense for the OTC), but it does throw up some challenges (this is partially repeating what you've said before, but anyway):
- A new OTC player would need to be made with the soundtrack in-built (or one of the previous ones altered). I agree with your idea, Yappo, that the viewer can scroll through as they wish, but do we make the player scroll through automatically (unless the viewer changes it), at a set pace depending upon what's going on, so we can roughly set the loops and music to it? Seeing as we can guess people are gunna make the walking scenes scroll through fast etc, we need to have a rough guideline for how much music is needed in a given area.

Yeah, the tricky thing is making a new player that would have to work almost like a video game in the way the audio is triggered. A lot of these technicalities aren't really my area though. And I never imagined it scrolling automatically. I like the idea of the viewer being able to stay on a frame as long as they want. The appropriate section of music would loop, so it wouldn't matter.
- Do you have groups of frames (say, a group of connected journeying frames), through which a specific looping audio file is played (as opposed to a new loop each frame), given that the walking frames are scrolled through quickly?

The idea was always to have looping sections of music for groups of connected frames. Only very specific frames would have something all to themself.
- When you move to the next frame or set of frames which need a new loop for some reason, does the player wait until the end of the bar/end of the loop before moving on, so there aren't sudden stops in the middle of loops?

As I've explained, my idea is a bit more complicated than just loops. It would be more seamless with new layers of instrumentation coming in over the stuff that's already playing (the difficult technicality there would be timing things coming in right). And when there's an entirely new theme, I would write transition sections that are triggered at the appropriate time to seamlessly move to the new thing. And yes, the player would wait for an appropriate time to move on. (But as I've said many times, I don't actually know ANYTHING about the technicalities of how to make this actually work myself. It may not even be entirely possible and we'll have to compromise...)
- As has been discussed, you would need the one-off moments, for raptorcats, and wowtrees, and such. Depending on whether this event begins a set of frames, I assume this could be done by having the one-off that doesn't loop, followed by a loop that both effectively comes out of the one-off and is able to loop consistently, if you follow me.

Exactly, that was always the idea.
Also:
- Is this soundtrack definitely being combined with the voice-over project? It seems like a good and fun idea, and they'd form another set of one-off moments, as described above.

The idea to do a soundtrack came about FROM the idea of doing voiceovers. So yes.
I definitely like the themes, I'd tend to want them in more of a leitmotify direction, rather than having 'main' themes as such. For Cuegan's (FTFY) theme/motif, I'd tend to have two short motifs (only 3-4 notes) each for Cueball and Megan, for when they're apart, and then the Cuegan theme is the combination of them. I'm not sure you need multiple variations on the nature theme- the wowtrees moment would essentially be a grand statement of the discovery theme, with some nature thrown in. I also think the Beanie's theme should be considerably contrasting to previous themes, probably more percussive (but you were probably thinking this anyway). And for LaPetite, for some reason what comes to mind is a tiny little recorder ditty, sailor-like, so then when the Fading comes, and all the music is fading out, right at the end, for a moment you hear this quaint recorder tune in the distance, even though you can't see her...

Good idea re. MEGBALL's* theme. I wasn't sure whether to have individual themes for each of them or one for them both, went for the latter, but your suggestion is a good way to do both. And yes, the Beanie's theme was always going to be contrasting to previous themes. Good idea for LaPetite too. I was thinking either a recorder or a glockenspiel of some kind. Definitely needs that quaint, minimal childlike thing going on. And yes, that's exactly how I planned to do the fading, having LaPetite's motif quietly at the end. Disagree about the nature theme though. The way I decided is the way I want to do it. And no, the wow-trees will be primarily the "epic" nature theme. It's more about "wow, look at this wonder of nature" than "wow, we're learning about the world and finding answers to our questions". The idea for the Discovery theme was more that it's an antithesis to the Unknown theme, for when things that were previously unknown become more understood. The wow-trees never answered any unanswered questions, so would have nothing to do with the Discovery theme.

* :evil:
Yappobiscuits: EVERYTHING

Well, not EVERYTHING, here's an actual list: Piano (and therefore other keyboardy things), guitar (inc. bass), accordion, tin whistles, recorder, clarinet, tenor banjo, bit of ukulele, various percussion.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:23 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:If the OTB needs an incompetent rainstick player, I can do that. We could call ourselves the Band Dessinée (Bande dessinée being French for comic strip.)

HAL9000 wrote:Well, the number of musicians in the OTB depends entirely on how many of us (myself included) play the piano. Everyone else would just be providing the background noise and keeping the audience from getting bored while we give our fingers the occasional rest. :twisted:
hey, there's a reason each orchestra only needs one piano to sound good. :P

If the number of musicians in the OTB depends on the number of piano players, and an orchestra only needs one piano player, does that mean that if we have two piano players we can't be a band? What if we have three; do the first two cancel out and then the third one makes us capable of being a band again?

kazza, I think you left "Angelastic: incompetent rainstick" off your list. :) Though I think you're selling yourself short. I like the band name. And there's probably some pianist joke to be made from your last paragraph, but I'm too tired to come up with one.

Earthling on Mars wrote:Blindposting from the end of page 1111 because I'm not going to be able to ketchup todip, thanks to people posting links to fascinating mathematical articles...
foilman wrote:DescendONG
Spoiler:

Look at the beanie in the lead! His head is transparent!

Yeah, what's up with that? Is he a ghost? I wonder if GLR will go back and fixH that at some point.

yappobiscuits wrote:
edo wrote:What's the thing suspended from the ceiling behind the door?
I think
Spoiler:
IT'S A TRAP!!!!

I think
Spoiler:
IT'S A CURTAIN!!

but that doesn't quite have the same ring to it :P

It's curtains for them!

Btw, yappo, I love your ideas for the soundtrack. Sounds like you're definitely on the right, well, track.

Rule110, I love your blitzer power-ups! Your math magic trick, well, I tried to understand it. I think I did, sorta kinda some of it...

hajo wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Wow, now THAT's an office! That doesn't look like Beardo though.
Maybe it's his secretary...:

Yay - new hairstyle ! So, is she still a Beanie ?

Maybe the Beanies are a working or exploring class of this society, and this woman is in a sort of white-collar class.

Kazza3 wrote:Lots of cool music ideas:
Spoiler:
Soundtrack discussion:
These are some great ideas, especially re: not doing a regular 'film' composition to set times. GLR's writing in an unconventional medium and we'll need an unconventional form of music to match it. Yappo, your loop idea is great (though I usually prefer a more normal compositional framework, this makes more sense for the OTC), but it does throw up some challenges (this is partially repeating what you've said before, but anyway):
- A new OTC player would need to be made with the soundtrack in-built (or one of the previous ones altered). I agree with your idea, Yappo, that the viewer can scroll through as they wish, but do we make the player scroll through automatically (unless the viewer changes it), at a set pace depending upon what's going on, so we can roughly set the loops and music to it? Seeing as we can guess people are gunna make the walking scenes scroll through fast etc, we need to have a rough guideline for how much music is needed in a given area.
- Do you have groups of frames (say, a group of connected journeying frames), through which a specific looping audio file is played (as opposed to a new loop each frame), given that the walking frames are scrolled through quickly?
- When you move to the next frame or set of frames which need a new loop for some reason, does the player wait until the end of the bar/end of the loop before moving on, so there aren't sudden stops in the middle of loops?
- As has been discussed, you would need the one-off moments, for raptorcats, and wowtrees, and such. Depending on whether this event begins a set of frames, I assume this could be done by having the one-off that doesn't loop, followed by a loop that both effectively comes out of the one-off and is able to loop consistently, if you follow me.

Also:
- Is this soundtrack definitely being combined with the voice-over project? It seems like a good and fun idea, and they'd form another set of one-off moments, as described above.

As for the content:
yappobiscuits wrote:I have been thinking about it, I think mainly ambient background stuff apart from certain special moments where things get more exciting. Stylistically, a mix of ambient electronic with some orchestral elements. Maybe some post-rock touches too.

Sounds good!

I definitely like the themes, I'd tend to want them in more of a leitmotify direction, rather than having 'main' themes as such. For Cuegan's (FTFY) theme/motif, I'd tend to have two short motifs (only 3-4 notes) each for Cueball and Megan, for when they're apart, and then the Cuegan theme is the combination of them. I'm not sure you need multiple variations on the nature theme- the wowtrees moment would essentially be a grand statement of the discovery theme, with some nature thrown in. I also think the Beanie's theme should be considerably contrasting to previous themes, probably more percussive (but you were probably thinking this anyway). And for LaPetite, for some reason what comes to mind is a tiny little recorder ditty, sailor-like, so then when the Fading comes, and all the music is fading out, right at the end, for a moment you hear this quaint recorder tune in the distance, even though you can't see her...

More musician discussion:
[spoiler]
NoMouse wrote:
Valarya wrote:*ahem* Hi. *shakes your hand* I'm a trumpet player. I'm better than you. :P jk jk - but I laughed. My daughter is 12 and sits 1st chair French Horn so we're a happy lil brass family. Brass is always better.. oops, did I do it again? :mrgreen:

Oh hey, hi! Maybe you're better than me but I'm better than you too! :mrgreen: Yes, trumpet player here. How many musicians are there in the OTT anyway? Maybe we could form OTB - The One True Band. :lol:

So, what have we got so far for a possible OTB? (This is from memory, sorry if I missed anyone.) I'm not necessarily suggesting that this will definitely happen, but we might as well have a list anyway.

Yappobiscuits: EVERYTHING
Fhorn: french horn
Valarya: trumpet
lmjb1964: percussion, voice
NoMouse: trumpet
ucim: piano, guitar, hammer dulcimer, accordion
Ximenez: ?
HAL9000: piano
ofvn2vw1872?
taixso?
xpatiate?
Kazza3: clarinet, alto sax, guitar, piano, voice

The proliferation of brass players is an interesting demographic. Some might say it's because brass players are intelligent and thus drawn to a comic such as this... but the truely enlightened observer knows it's because the brass player gets no gigs and thus spends all his/her time at the computer instead. :mrgreen:

Lots of great ideas, kazza! And you can add viola to my list. Your comment about brass players reminds me of an old joke--what's the definition of an optimist? A tuba player with a pager.

Great voiceovers from buffygirl and ChronosDragon! I think what I love best about this project is hearing so many of your voices. It gives a little extra connection to all of you.

I made a couple of recordings on my phone, bur it saves them as 3ga files. I can't upload them or do anything else with them, apparently. I've saved them to my dropbox; see if anyone can access them and lay them. Geez, I feel like such a luddite.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bx73bca8hs7597/megan_lmjb1.3ga
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vgqkeiio4feo2i/megan_lmjb2.3ga

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:30 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Yeah, the tricky thing is making a new player that would have to work almost like a video game in the way the audio is triggered. A lot of these technicalities aren't really my area though. And I never imagined it scrolling automatically. I like the idea of the viewer being able to stay on a frame as long as they want. The appropriate section of music would loop, so it wouldn't matter.

Having worked with dynamic music systems before (not in great depth but enough to get an understanding of how they work), here's how it generally goes:

You have a base track, which is a beat or a soft melody type thing which will match with everything (or a lot of the things). All the other tracks are playing along (silently) so that they are synced up (perhaps you could try to start them in at the appropriate place on the fly, but you might have to deal with buffering delays and things) - all of these are continuously playing, on a loop (or at least the base track is, to keep a reference point). When you want to fade in a motif, you gradually increase the volume until it's playing with or on top of the base track. Depending on how the music is composed, you could probably have as many as 5 or 6 of these at any given point. If you wanted to switch tempo or do a major motif change, you could have transition parts which come in on specified intervals (i.e. when the change is triggered, wait for the end of the measure or whatever) and then lead into the next bit.

Depending on which medium this ends up being made in, it's going to technically work a bit differently. On web mediums in particular buffering is something which will have to be kept in mind.

ETA: Woah, ketchup script inserted it twice! Guess it really wanted me to say that :P

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:33 am UTC

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up ChronosDragon - I thought it would probably be having them playing silently then bringing them up when needed. Good to know, and helps to know what to be thinking of when actually writing the stuff.

DavidRa

Postby DavidRa » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:35 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I made a couple of recordings on my phone, bur it saves them as 3ga files. I can't upload them or do anything else with them, apparently. I've saved them to my dropbox; see if anyone can access them and lay them. Geez, I feel like such a luddite.

Awesome! They play fine in Windows Media Player, though it complains about it. Very clear too, from what I could hear (in a busy office, playing them loudly is discouraged, and for reasons unknown WMP ignored my headphones).

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:37 am UTC

*peeks in from a borrowed laptop*
Looks like the Beardo might be a gal with awesome hair...Hairdo?

yappobiscuits wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Or is it really "bridemolpy" ? Somehow being a "brideblitz" doesn't sound like a good idea.

BlitzMaid.

That sort of makes it sound like, instead of experiencing the wedding in real-time, she'll go through it all later, then turn up at the reception when everything's coming to an end and announce "I'm back in the present!!" :P

I don't think my cousin the bride would appreciate a blitzing bridesmaid. Though it does sound like it would be fun! :D And I could throw paper-airplane signposts letting everyone know where I was... this thread is a bad influence...

Bad Hair Man wrote:It's weird to see a message sent to me this way.

I feel ya, brother. You have very good blitzing instincts. I have faith that one newpix I shall see you in the Now. :)

mscha wrote:It's the middle of the day and newpixbot gets to post the ONG? See, BlitzGirl has only just left and this place is already falling apart. Image

Gah! I'm counting on y'all to not break the OTT while I'm gone! And water the wowtrees and feed the molpies for me!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:37 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Ahh, thanks for clearing that up ChronosDragon - I thought it would probably be having them playing silently then bringing them up when needed. Good to know, and helps to know what to be thinking of when actually writing the stuff.

Yeah - but by no means constrain yourself to that. When I was working with dynamic music in portal 2, the entity which controls sound (ambient_generic) was incredibly buggy - setting the volume to 0 would actually stop the track, having the sound emanate from a specific point in the level (e.g. a light bridge) would completely change the way some functions worked, and fading in/out was completely broken. So we were rather constrained in terms of how complex we could make our system.

Here, on the other hand, we have numerous technologies to choose from and a multitude of intelligent, knowledgeable people to work out any kinks. So it might be a good starting point but maybe not an absolute rule.

Arky

Postby Arky » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:38 am UTC

I wish I had time right now to do manips of the last frame or two. There's gotta be a Khaleesi joke in there somewhere.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

DavidRa

Postby DavidRa » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:41 am UTC

OK I've finally finished listening to all the currently posted auditions I could find. I'm giving my votes to Blitzgirl (darn your skills and creativity, darn them!!) and ... oh crud. I don't know who "xkcd1.mp3" was/is. ETA: ucim I think.

I definitely agree they're younger so the voices should be "about college/university students/grad" age. To me those two are closest so far.

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:42 am UTC

A quick molpy up

Spoiler:

to say...that chair looks kind of modern.

back down.

Spoiler:
Lost forever in time...

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:46 am UTC

Yeah, yappo, I did suspect that a lot of what I was saying was what you had said or implied, I was partially just clearing it up for myself.
yappobiscuits wrote:Yeah, the tricky thing is making a new player that would have to work almost like a video game in the way the audio is triggered. A lot of these technicalities aren't really my area though. And I never imagined it scrolling automatically. I like the idea of the viewer being able to stay on a frame as long as they want. The appropriate section of music would loop, so it wouldn't matter.

I have no idea about the technicalities either. I know you didn't want the automatic idea- I meant to have that as another option (that could be overridden by the viewer's controls), just incase they didn't want to press forward 2600 times.
yappobiscuits wrote:As I've explained, my idea is a bit more complicated than just loops. It would be more seamless with new layers of instrumentation coming in over the stuff that's already playing (the difficult technicality there would be timing things coming in right). And when there's an entirely new theme, I would write transition sections that are triggered at the appropriate time to seamlessly move to the new thing. And yes, the player would wait for an appropriate time to move on.

I know, I was just paraphrasing somewhat/for brevity. And cool!
yappobiscuits wrote:Disagree about the nature theme though. The way I decided is the way I want to do it. And no, the wow-trees will be primarily the "epic" nature theme. It's more about "wow, look at this wonder of nature" than "wow, we're learning about the world and finding answers to our questions". The idea for the Discovery theme was more that it's an antithesis to the Unknown theme, for when things that were previously unknown become more understood. The wow-trees never answered any unanswered questions, so would have nothing to do with the Discovery theme.

Gotcha, I hadn't seen the discovery theme as specifically being to do with them finding answers, but if it is then yes, my idea wouldn't make sense.

yappobiscuits wrote:Well, not EVERYTHING, here's an actual list: Piano (and therefore other keyboardy things), guitar (inc. bass), accordion, tin whistles, recorder, clarinet, tenor banjo, bit of ukulele, various percussion.

lmjb1964 wrote:kazza, I think you left "Angelastic: incompetent rainstick" off your list. :)

lmjb1964 wrote:And you can add viola to my list. Your comment about brass players reminds me of an old joke--what's the definition of an optimist? A tuba player with a pager.

Done. And haha, haven't heard that one (or its variations) in a while.
ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
Having worked with dynamic music systems before (not in great depth but enough to get an understanding of how they work), here's how it generally goes:

You have a base track, which is a beat or a soft melody type thing which will match with everything (or a lot of the things). All the other tracks are playing along (silently) so that they are synced up (perhaps you could try to start them in at the appropriate place on the fly, but you might have to deal with buffering delays and things). When you want to fade in a motif, you gradually increase the volume until it's playing with or on top of the base track. Depending on how the music is composed, you could probably have as many as 5 or 6 of these at any given point. If you wanted to switch tempo or do a major motif change, you could have transition parts which come in on specified intervals (i.e. when the change is triggered, wait for the end of the measure or whatever) and then lead into the next bit.

Interesting stuff!

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:49 am UTC

Charm Quark wrote:Her hair is impressively lONG!

Bring her a present. A comb would do fine, she's getting split ends. ;-)
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:00 am UTC

What are you guys doing ONG?

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:02 am UTC

thirds wrote:What are you guys doing ONG?
Spoiler:

"The bald one is cute, where did you pick him up?"

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:04 am UTC

To Megan: "What have you done to your hair?!"

We saw that first word back in Speech 4, when Beanie-2 was examining Megan's leg. Also, my brain is interpreting that last word as "Cuegan" - clearly a sign that I need to coma.

Re: Cuegan/Megball
Ridiculous! We need to develop one universal standard that covers everyone's use cases. The obvious problem is that not all of the letters are being included. I suggest McEugeabnall, or McBeuegeaabnnailels for when they're traveling with the Beanies.

DavidRa wrote:OK I've finally finished listening to all the currently posted auditions I could find. I'm giving my votes to Blitzgirl (darn your skills and creativity, darn them!!) and ... oh crud. I don't know who "xkcd1.mp3" was/is. ETA: ucim I think.

Thanks, DavidRa. :) Though I wouldn't be my own pick!
I want to listen to all the new voice clips but for now I must (spoiler), since I have to return this laptop that I stole appropriated rehomed molpied off with.

Molpy down:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:08 am UTC

I'm still not COMPLETELY convinced that's a she, my hair isn't all that different actually :P
BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Or is it really "bridemolpy" ? Somehow being a "brideblitz" doesn't sound like a good idea.

BlitzMaid.

That sort of makes it sound like, instead of experiencing the wedding in real-time, she'll go through it all later, then turn up at the reception when everything's coming to an end and announce "I'm back in the present!!" :P

I don't think my cousin the bride would appreciate a blitzing bridesmaid. Though it does sound like it would be fun! :D And I could throw paper-airplane signposts letting everyone know where I was... this thread is a bad influence...

Image Paper planes, yes! Bad influence? Mustard and nonsense!
Anyway, good to hear from you! Nice that you're not totally gone, I don't know how we'd survive in a completely BlitzGirl-deprived thread :P

Eternal Density

(prediction time!)

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:08 am UTC

Megan: "Mom, is that you?"
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:09 am UTC

Everyone, I'm not dead! I just caught up the last 4 dips worth of newpix on Geekwagon and... HOLY COW!!!!!!!! Terrible time to not be able to be here. I'm desperately and hopelessly behind, and as much as I'm interested in all of the interpretation of what has been going on, I'm afraid my life isn't going to be returning to normal any time soon. My wedding is in 6 days, followed by honeymoon, so the likelihood of me catching up or even merely keeping up with the present in the near future is next to zero. I hope you are all as wonderful as ever, though. I do miss it all! I may check in a few more times over the next few days, but not with much.

PLEASE DON'T LET THE WIKI FALL BEHIND! I won't really have time keep it up very much. Don't leave Patzer stranded all on his own. :)
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:10 am UTC

"Beanie 2, please pay attention..."

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:12 am UTC

For my 100th post, I'll contribute several CHIRP sounds I just recorded.
Chirps are courtesy of my Whiteface Cockatiel parrot - Nutsnuts (Which in Hebrew means a shining flickering thingy).
She was happy to help.
Attachments
P1010020s.JPG
Nutsnuts
chirps.zip
7 Chirps (+flight sound)
(472.04 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
It's about time.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:15 am UTC

Happy 100th, Eliram! Good, that's the first audition so far for the chirpy... any squirpies wanna have a go? Keyboards? :P
BlitzGirl wrote:Re: Cuegan/Megball
Ridiculous! We need to develop one universal standard that covers everyone's use cases. The obvious problem is that not all of the letters are being included. I suggest McEugeabnall, or McBeuegeaabnnailels for when they're traveling with the Beanies.

One universal standard? In the OTT? Preposterous!

I like the idea of a name that uses all the letters though. I vote "Cleanable Mug".

And when they're with the beanies, "A Cleanable Bum Genie".

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:31 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:..., I'm afraid my life is n't never going to be returning to normal any time soon. My wedding is in 6 days, ...

FTFY

Oh - by the way: We expected a heavily bearded man and got a long-haired beautyYES I KNOW. For me this is dangerously close to (do not click or you'll lose at least 8 hours!) Fanservice. Well, gimme more of it.

YES I KNOWDon't tell me. I know what you want to tell me. Don't. Really.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:40 am UTC

DavidRa wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I made a couple of recordings on my phone, bur it saves them as 3ga files. I can't upload them or do anything else with them, apparently. I've saved them to my dropbox; see if anyone can access them and lay them. Geez, I feel like such a luddite.

Awesome! They play fine in Windows Media Player, though it complains about it. Very clear too, from what I could hear (in a busy office, playing them loudly is discouraged, and for reasons unknown WMP ignored my headphones).

Thanks! Glad you were able to play it.

Eliram wrote:For my 100th post, I'll contribute several CHIRP sounds I just recorded.
Chirps are courtesy of my Whiteface Cockatiel parrot - Nutsnuts (Which in Hebrew means a shining flickering thingy).
She was happy to help.

Happy 100! Here's some cake for you.
Spoiler:
http://www.perfectpartycakes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/100th-birthday-cake.jpg

I loved the chirps, but they drove my meowlpy crazy. She couldn't figure out where the bird was. And I love the name Nutsnuts.

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Re: Cuegan/Megball

One universal standard? In the OTT? Preposterous!

I like the idea of a name that uses all the letters though. I vote "Cleanable Mug".

And when they're with the beanies, "A Cleanable Bum Genie".

OK, that second one just sounds wrong.

I think I'm getting sick, so time to meowlpy down:
Spoiler:
Dixie-upsidedown2.jpg
Dixie-upsidedown2.jpg (30.37 KiB) Viewed 13820 times

Wait well!
ETA: And kenmelken, wed well! We'll miss you! I'll have to handle all the raptors and zombies on my own, alas.
Edit2 to spoiler my meowlpy, though she's pretty spoilered already.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:01 am UTC

WE FOUND HIM DONG THERE

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:01 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
SinusPi wrote:I might have a little cautious revelation.
Spoiler:
Note the AM2. It was used in G2806 and exclaimed by Beanette in G2842. Could we have Beanie1's name here?

Neat! Easy to remember: Amtoo!

And Beanie2 is going to be called Detoo! Amtoo, Detoo!

Well even if AM2 is not the name, every time I see Beanie1 or Beanie2 I'm going to be thinking of this post...

So at least for me Beanie1 is Amtoo, Beanie2 is Detoo, and Beanie3 Arghtoo( just because I still have trouble telling them apart).
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:05 am UTC

Beanie 1: "Forgive us for this rude intrusion, o Great One"
Beanie 3: "We have captured these outsiders for you"

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:10 am UTC

Flotter wrote:Beanie 1: "Forgive us for this rude intrusion, o Great One"

Beanie 3: "We brought you lunch. It's barbecue-time."

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:11 am UTC

Lots of Beanish! I hope they get to the translating soon... but now I must molpy down.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:11 am UTC

Flotter wrote:Beanie 1: "Forgive us for this rude intrusion, o Great One"

Nah:

Beanie-1: We think this one on the left will be the crunchiest.
Beanie-3: We are unfortunately out of ketchup.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

BlitzGirl

Grr Beanish is NOT FUN on a phone browser...

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:26 am UTC

The Beanie on the far left is Beanie-1 (scruffy bangs) , and the Beanie on the far right is Beanie-2 (thin band, neck hair). Beanie-3 is the quiet one currently obscured by Cueball.

This word ImageImage is used a lot, in Speeches 4, 12, and the previous newpix. The last word of Beanie-2's speech also appeared in Speech 2, the first time Beanie-2 ever spoke, with a question-degree-mark instead of a horizontal line: ImageImageImage
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

foilman

Postby foilman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:00 am UTC

WaitONG for it

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:01 am UTC

foilman wrote:WaitONG for it MEAT INSPECTIONG

FTFY.

Arky

Postby Arky » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:03 am UTC

Way too fast for me on that ONG.

(I was going to go with MONGment of truth)

(I am totally making a point of checking back the second the next newpix goes up, 'cos this one is going to be HUGE unless he trolls us by having another beat of silent examination...)
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:13 am UTC

(Blind) firstpost bump:
svenman wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:Most of my info comes originally (from my viewpoint) from Azimov on Numbers. The set of integers is aleph-null. The set of real numbers is aleph-1 (between any two reals, there are infinite reals, not so with integers). The set of curves on a plane is aleph-2.

This is from an old book read years ago, from old memory...

Hi all, delurking and blindposting whlie ketchupping (our tribe has a strange dialect of English, hasn't it?).

Fun fact: It can be shown by a diagonal argument that the cardinality of the set of rational numbers is equal to the cardinality of the set of integer numbers, i. e. aleph-null. However, also between any two rationals, there are infinite rationals. So, the equivalent statement for real numbers, while true, does not by itself imply that the cardinality of reals is necessarily larger than aleph-null.

ETA: Of course someone else already had pointed out the same, I knew I should have checked out the rest of the same page at least before posting...

Welcome, svenman!

Another one:
der_Metzger wrote:Did anyone else see them get to the village, have a flashback to the adventures of Link, then expect them to run into an Ironknuckle upon entering the big room?

I went to the trouble to make a nice png of this with Rebonack but the spamfilter wants me to post a few times before I can link to it.

Wilkommen, der_Metzger! You'll be able to post links after your 5th message.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:39 am UTC

Lost my laptop to my wife right now so hard to type sorry.

Thanks for all the new voice over samples guys!

About the sound track and voice over being separate or not. I think we should start with the voice over and build up a list of audio files that are the compliment to the OTC image files. This is the OTVO project. Then different peoples projects can consume this input data just like the do now with the past OTC frames. mscha could add links on his viewer for example. I was going to write some simple scripts to render it into a video which allows us to see the result quickly and make timing volume and voice acting fixes easily.

A website to render the frames at a users pace and play back voice overs may not be too hard. Making it then do music in a dynamic way may be a lot harder challenge. Need some mad html5 skills!!!

It may be possible to do something where each frame gets a background music track assigned. The first version could then just have a relatively simple script that just detects if the frame its just gone to has the same track as before and if not it fades out the volume of the current track and starts the new track with a fade in. Then if you want to build the tune up you would have to render different versions with more and more parts added. But to do the full seamless multi-track system you would need a lot more code! Also it seems browser support is not so hot if your doing something complex like this and mobile devices may have issues etc. Could use something like flash which has much more robust audio support but I can't imagine going down that track really.
Last edited by Latent22 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:44 am UTC

If I'm remembering correctly, we know that Aleph-1 is the infinitude of the integers, but as for the higher infinities, we're not sure how they are to be numbered, because someone could always come along and find an infinity that's larger than the integers but smaller than the reals. I may be remembering wrong or my reading may be out of date. I haven't been on a number theory binge in quite a while. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

In the meantime:
meowlpies down.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
molpydown4.jpg

Yay! It worked! Thank you Latent22! Oh, and in case you didn't see it before, I totally love the pink nose avatar. That's how I wake up almost every morning. :)
Last edited by Tatiana on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

foilman

Postby foilman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:01 am UTC

TalkONG sense?

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:21 am UTC

DavidRa wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Also, I forgot to add groundhogs to my list of fairytale creatures. They're also known as woodchucks. How many hogs would a groundhog grind if a groundhog could grind hogs?

Mid-ketchup comment: Aaaaargh! .... ZOT!!

:? z... zot? Is that like General Zod with final obstruent devoicing? And an Oracle with an OtherChurch? Oh, hang on, I think I've got it.

*clears throat*

What's the problem with woodchucks? What the hell is 'Zot', and why does the oracle deem it to be an appropriate response to so many questions?

With this talk of Cantor dust, I feel like this little video/sound clip I made of a Cantor ternary set made out of Jonathan Coulton singing the words 'Cantor ternary set' is relevant. I guess it looks kind of castle-like too, because it's all related. Oh also, with all this talk of aleph numbers, apparently beth numbers can remove the ambiguity when you're not sure about the continuum hypothesis. I don't remember where I heard that; maybe it was here. I don't know much about it yet.

Yappo's ideas for the soundtrack seem great, but don't forget to use a bit of the castle theme for the little castle by the shed! And maybe you can make the theme a little bit recursive (like the Cantor ternary set thing linked above, but actually musical) when Cueball builds the minicastles in the centre. Hmm, I'd better record myself saying some of Megan's lines, so that when yappobiscuits does the score for a major motion picture, I'll have a chance of improving my Bacon number.

lmjb1964 wrote:kazza, I think you left "Angelastic: incompetent rainstick" off your list. :) Though I think you're selling yourself short.

Oh, I'm not selling myself short when I say I'm an incompetent rainstick player; I'd even say I'm exaggerating my abilities, because althuogh I am incompetent and own a rainstick, I have only actually played it once, with no intention of doing it well.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:28 am UTC

Tatiana wrote:
Someone please correct me if I'm not doing my images correctly, okay? How do I upload an attachment? Oh wait, I see a tab below that says "upload attachment"! Might that be a clue? Aha! Let's try this again!

ok once you have done the place inline and put that in a spoiler you then push the preview button. Then in the preview expand the spoiler and right click the image and click copy link location. This captures the image file now stored on the forum server.

it is something like this: http: //forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=38023&mode=view

now take this link and make a new img tag in your post above the spoiler and paste in the link you copied before. Now remove the &mode=view bit to make the link show properly and you are done. Make sure you leave the spoiler and attachment bit. your output will be something like this:

Code: Select all

[img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=38023[/img]

Redundant [spoiler][attachment=0]molpydown4.jpg[/attachment][/spoiler]

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”